PDA

View Full Version : Batman's contingency

Idea Man
2007-11-29, 08:05 PM
This post implies the the wizard, 20th level, does not have celerity available, in any form.
Both contingency or craft contingent spell are valid.

What sort of spells would a batman wizard prepare as contingent...

...for parties. :smallbiggrin:
...when expecting a credibly dangerous magical ambush.
...physical ambush.
...when travelling by means other than teleport (no specific danger, no serious weather, no treacherous terrain). Sure, he probably wouldn't, but, hypothetically...
...when dungeon/ruin delving (may have less dangerous enemies in the upper levels, may have water, no lava/natural gas, traps assumed).

I wanted to do one with a BBEG, but that requires a specifically statted-out BBEG, and that's kind of situational. If you can think of another general purpose situation, just say so. I'm sure I missed something. :smalltongue:

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 10:19 PM
Well, if the idea is just to survive... mass teleport in ever occasion.

Granted, this might not meet the fourth one in which case probably Time Stop. Should give you some time to figure out stuff. It's the backup for all the other scenario's too.

Turcano
2007-11-29, 10:27 PM
I think the usual contingency is dimension door; many wizards combine this with feather fall (or an item thereof) to shoot 400 feet into the air. That will get you out of most sticky situations.

FinalJustice
2007-11-29, 10:29 PM
Contingente mass teleport for all the group, as far as possible, as soon as a Mordenkainen Disjunction is aimed at him.

Chronos
2007-11-30, 01:15 AM
Isn't Mass Teleport too high level?

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-30, 01:23 AM
This post implies the the wizard, 20th level, does not have celerity available, in any form.

...physical ambush.
...when travelling by means other than teleport (no specific danger, no serious weather, no treacherous terrain). Sure, he probably wouldn't, but, hypothetically...
...when dungeon/ruin delving (may have less dangerous enemies in the upper levels, may have water, no lava/natural gas, traps assumed).

I wanted to do one with a BBEG, but that requires a specifically statted-out BBEG, and that's kind of situational. If you can think of another general purpose situation, just say so. I'm sure I missed something. :smalltongue:

It's all entirely dependent on how your DM interprets the spell, since it has mech issues (it really doesn't clarify a few things, and it's this sort of unlimited nature that is in large part responsible for the spell's incredible power. That, and it is a special free immediate action)

Sir Giacomo
2007-11-30, 09:58 AM

haste set to "when combat starts, cast on all friendly creatures, starting with myself" - if this is allowed by the DM, since haste requires you to "see" the affected targets (the party) at the time of casting the spell (up to the DM to decide whether that is when cast with the contingency or when it comes into effect).

...physical ambush.

Obscuring mist or, better yet, shadow obscuring mist (which is automatically disbelieved by party and thus they can see through it, the enemy spellcasters/archers not).

sounds like an ambush-kind of danger to me. You could also have freedom of movement with contingency ready (against nets, snares, grapple ambushes, inn brawls etc.).

Gaseous form is quite a good escape pod for this (the low movement can still take you through that dungeon crack into the next room or whereever your enemies have difficulty following you).

Contingency is highly tricky. A good idea I once read on the boards was to key it to a word spoken. However, if you are flat-footed that does not help much (you cannot even do a free action when you are flat-footed).
Beings coming within certain range? Triggered to eaily by harmless encounters.
DimDoor to safetry? Too situation-specific (depending on DM, you have to specify at the casting of the contingency where you want to be dimdoored- i.e. "500ft up when I'm attacked" or some such.

Contingency is great - the most powerful aspect being that you can gain a standard action in a critical situation. But it certainly not a 100% safe tactics.

- Giacomo

Crow
2007-11-30, 10:51 AM
With a necklace of warning;

Whenever my necklace alerts me of danger I am not aware of.

Teleport