PDA

View Full Version : Castaways!

Jolly Steve
2007-12-01, 01:38 AM
A thread for in-character posts for Kreig Rocksplitter and Lucky Joe, the sole survivors of a shipwreck, thrown up on the rocky shore of an unknown island.

Mavian
2007-12-01, 01:49 AM
Standing at the mouth of their cave, Joe turns to look back at Kreig.

"You think anyone even realized the boat never made it? Just our luck they complete forgot bout us and we're gonna be stuck here for ever."

He gnaws on a crab leg before tossing it out onto the rocks.

"Might as well go check the beach, it beat standing around here eating these things."

Jolly Steve
2007-12-01, 10:41 PM
The beach is very small, and rocky. There seems to be less sea-life crawling around than when you first got here. Maybe you're getting used to having crabs underfoot everywhere you step, or maybe they're learning to avoid this beach? In any case, some of the ship seems to have drifted in. There's always lots of driftwood here, so at least you've been able to make a fire and haven't had to eat anything raw.

Out to sea is nothing. It's very calm today. Actually it's been pretty calm almost every day since you got here, with the obvious exception of the first.

When you first got here, once you found the cave you explored as well as you could. The cliffs all around are high, sharp and slippery. You might be able to climb out, but thus far it seemed much safer to wait for rescue. There are lots of caves, other than the one you've been sleeping in, which you explored for a while - but again, waiting for rescue seemed safer than crawling around in the dark.

The frustrating thing is that you have no idea about the rest of the island. For all you know there could be a city half a mile away.

GimliFett
2007-12-04, 09:17 AM
Krieg Rocksplitter

The dwarf spits, trying to keep the constant presence of salt water tang from his mouth. "Ah've 'ad enoof a this waitin'! Ya gotta do fer yerself, 'fore others can do to ya, Ah've always said!" Krieg's iron-black hair and beard seem a little frayed, mimicking his mood. "Ah kin see jus' fine in th' caves. 'Ave ya got anythin' that'll burn well enoof fer a torch, lad? Ah think we've a better chance down than oop, nae?"

Mavian
2007-12-07, 09:17 AM
"Well, I've got some paper... I don't know how dry it is though."

Digging through the pockets of his pants, Joe produces a sheaf of fairly dry paper.

"I doubt it will burn in this condition though. Perhaps we could attempt to swim around this beach and find another one?"

GimliFett
2007-12-07, 10:31 AM
Krieg Rocksplitter

The dwarf looks stares at Lucky Joe blankly. "If'n we go swimmin', won' tha paper still be wet?" he asks as the blank look becomes a puzzled one, then a smile and a wink. "Seriously, lad, Ah'm nae woon fer swimmin' any more'n Ah need ta after whot poot us here in tha first place, ya ken?"

Mavian
2007-12-07, 11:00 AM
"I do believe I ken. But if we attempt to swim around the obstructions, then we won't need to burn the paper, so it doesn't really matter how wet it gets. Either way, since it seems there is to be no rescue for us we must make a decision. Your for exploring the caves a bit more I take it?"

Shoving the papers back into his pockets, he shrugs and motions towards the caves with his head.

GimliFett
2007-12-07, 11:03 AM
"Aye! Jus' keep yer hand on mah shoulder and Ah'll try an' take it sloo," Krieg says in an overly slow manner, then winks. "Ready?" he asks as he leads the way into the caves.

Mavian
2007-12-07, 11:12 AM
"As ready as I'll ever be, don't go too quickly, and I'll keep us hidden as well as I can."

Joe is going put his hand on the dwarf shoulder and then cast invisibility on both of them.

GimliFett
2007-12-07, 11:16 AM
The dwarf nods and walks forward slowly enough that his companion has no difficulty keeping a hand on his shoulder. Krieg carries his hammer before him, ready, and willing, to smash something should it present a problem for the spelunkers.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-08, 01:49 AM
The spell renders dwarf, but not magician, invisible.

You enter a cave which you know you haven't explored completely.

It turns into a tunnel. You walk along for an unknown time. It seems to be climbing, overall. Luckily it's high enough that Joe isn't in danger of bashing his head.

In the distant darkness you suddenly hear a high-pitched cry: "By the Old Man's balls!"

GimliFett
2007-12-10, 10:02 AM
The dwarf freezes in place, hoping Joe doesn't overrun him in the darkness. He tilts his head and tries to figure out how far off the speaker is, peering through the darkness.

Sorry. Weekends're slow for me. A month-old baby plus family time. Anyway, I'm good for at least a post every day, and maybe one or two on the weekend.

Mavian
2007-12-10, 10:04 AM
"What the... who's balls are they talking about?"

Joe stumbles to a halt behind the dwarf and bends down to one knee.

"You think this is a rescue party come to save us?"

GimliFett
2007-12-10, 10:07 AM
The dwarf snorts. "If'n it's a rescue, Ah think they got lost, too, from the sounds of it! Let's continue oon, nae?"

Krieg starts moving once more, though he keeps his hammer at the ready.

Mavian
2007-12-10, 10:10 AM
"Just our luck, we get a completely inept rescue party, why wouldn't they have just come by boat, instead of attempting to navigate through the caves."

Making sure his grip on the dwarf is secure, Joe continues into the darkness.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-11, 05:56 AM
You continue along the tunnel. You hear 'by the old man's balls!', faintly this time. Then there's nothing but dark and silence.

Just as you're starting to wonder whether you really exist you see, literally, light at the end of the tunnel.

GimliFett
2007-12-11, 10:08 AM
The dwarf smiles broadly. "Look, laddie! Ah think we've made it...um, somewhere other than where we were," Krieg says animatedly. "Lessee where that is, nae?" He leads his companion forward to the light.

Mavian
2007-12-11, 12:52 PM
"Well, It's almost certainly got to be better than where we were. Lead on good dwarf, to freedom"

GimliFett
2007-12-11, 02:14 PM
The dwarf snorts softly. "Ever oonward," he says as he continues forward.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-12, 03:03 AM
You follow the tunnel, until all of a sudden you find yourselves in the open air. You're standing on a cliffside, amidst slimy rocks. You can hear the sea crashing quietly somewhere below you.

The sunlight falls onto your skin (and through it in Kreig's case).

An angry-looking barbarian is walking towards you, stumbling over the rocks with an air of grim determination.

GimliFett
2007-12-19, 03:19 PM
"Oy!" the dwarf hollers. "Ye lost, too, laddie?" Kreig keeps his hammer ready to counterattack if needed, but hopes the pair have stumbled upon another lost castaway.

Sorry, missed the update... Much apogogies!
Does the barbarian see us?

Jolly Steve
2007-12-20, 03:46 AM
When Kreig speaks the barbarian gasps, and ducks down behind a rock.

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 11:09 AM
WIth a loud snort, the dwarf continues forward, toward the barbarian. "OY!" Krieg calls out more loudly. "D'ye speak? No point in hidin', laddie! Ye been foond! Noo c'mout an' lesse ye better, hm?" The head of the hammer lowers as Krieg tries to show he means no harm.

Mavian
2007-12-20, 02:05 PM
"Um, your invisible at the moment Dwarf. Even I would run and hide from disembodied voices."

Joe also ducks behind a convenient rock.

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 02:08 PM
Fortunately, the invisibility prevented Joe from seeing Krieg's embarrassment. "Och! Ah fergoot! How long'll it last?" he asks.

Mavian
2007-12-20, 02:11 PM
"No clue, I don't usually cast it on other people, but you should be able to just think it away, or attack a rock, that might break the enchantment."

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 02:15 PM
Krieg concentrates on how not to not be seen. Then looks at Joe once more. "Well, laddie?" the dwarf asks.

:smallwink: Couldn't resist...

Mavian
2007-12-20, 02:21 PM
"I'm pretty sure that did it, You look like a rock, right?"

He chuckles and ducks back into his hiding place.

"Honestly though, It worked."

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 02:23 PM
Krieg scowls for a brief moment at Joe's hiding place, then smiles broadly and turns back towards the barbarian. "C'mon oot, laddie. We'll nae hurt ya! Maybe we kin help each oother, nae?"

Jolly Steve
2007-12-21, 12:03 AM
A voice comes from behind the rock:

"Bah! You are clearly fiends of the cliffs, and seek to send me to a watery grave! Prove to me that you are not!"

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 10:57 AM
The dwarf's brow furrows deeply. "If I were a cliff-fiend, I'd joost pop oop behin' ya an' toss ya doon, ya damn fool! Noo c'mon oot an' let's talk like civilized folk, nae?"

Sorry. Lost the thread over Christmas Break.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 02:05 PM
He stands up.

"Tell me, strangers...er, what is the name of this place?"

You've also notice you've become a little bit more visible.

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 02:11 PM
Krieg snorts loudly, but smiles broadly. "Ah don' ken. Ah think Blasted Piece o' Sheete Island fits nicely. Don'choo?" The dwarf holds an empty hand out towards the man. "Ah'm Krieg Rocksplitter, so maybe Ah'll call it Krieg's Rock," he adds with a chuckle.

Mavian
2007-12-28, 02:35 PM
Joe pops out from the rocks he's been hiding behind.

"If anything, we should call it Lucky Isles, but thats just my opinion of course. I mean, I've been here just as long as anyone else. Joe Lucky at your service." He also extends his hands toward the newcomer.

"Who might you be? And more importantly, got any food that isn't crab?"

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 02:35 PM
"I am Generic. And, by the Crone, they shall call it Generic's Island! But - does that mean you have been shipwrecked too?"

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 02:45 PM
"Aye! Shipwrecked! Ah've no skill with a boot, an' apparently neither did those what managed our ship!" The dwarf's stomach grumbles. "Joe brings oop a good pint! D'ye have anythin' edible tha's nae crab?"

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 02:54 PM
"No...I, too, am near starved. And 'twill soon be sunset."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 02:56 PM
Krieg frowns. "How long've ye been here, Generic?"

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 03:05 PM
"Why, we were wrecked this very day."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 03:10 PM
The dwarf stare at Generic blankly, then looks around him. Shaking his head, Krieg asks, "We? Where're the rest of ya? Or are ya a bit confused on how long, and with whom, you've been here?" he adds with a chuckle.

Mavian
2007-12-28, 03:11 PM
Joe turns to Krieg and spits on the ground.
"I told you the rescue team was a bunch of incompetents. That whole kingdom is apparently filled with people who can't sail boats."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 03:15 PM
The dwarf tilts his head in acquiescence to Joe's assessment and shrugs. "Ah never disagreed, joost wasn' sure, Joe. Now, Ah'll agree completely."

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 03:17 PM
"I am not confused! I was wrecked today, and of all on that vessel, only four survived to tell the tale!"

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 03:20 PM
The dwarf plants his warhammer head down and leans upon the haft. "An' where're yer other survivors, Generic?" he asks.

Jolly Steve
2007-12-28, 03:23 PM
"They're that way, on the beach."

GimliFett
2007-12-31, 05:28 PM
"If they're that way, why're ya this way?" the dwarf asks.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-01, 06:16 AM
"They were..well, you must know how city folk can look down on we of the wilderness. There is only so much that can honourably be borne!"

GimliFett
2008-01-04, 04:35 PM
The dwarf chuckles lightly. "Bah! A lesson in manners is all they need! Shall we go speak with 'em? Or seek a way off this rock elsewhere?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-04, 10:53 PM
"If you want to find them, they should be back that way" - he gestures back the way he came.

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 03:26 PM
Kreig looks at the barbarian. "So, where ye goin'?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-11, 10:08 PM
"Hmm...they might have got themselves in trouble..."

GimliFett
2008-01-13, 01:07 AM
A puzzled look comes over the dwarf's face. "Trouble? Whot d'ye mean? Howd'ye ken?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-13, 09:25 AM
"Well...without me there, they might have...um...I just meant maybe we should go back so we can protect them."

GimliFett
2008-01-14, 10:16 AM
Warily, the dwarf nods assent. "Fine. Lead on, laddie. Let's find yer friends," Krieg says as he hefts his warhammer once more, laying it over his right shoulder and indicating the barbarian should take the lead.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-14, 10:42 PM
The barbarian, wizard, and now-visible dwarf make their way down to the beach.

There, you find wreckage which looks like that of a ship, but no people.

The barbarian sinks to his knees. "Oh, Gods curse my arrogance! They have no doubt been eaten by wolves, or whatever wild beasts may roam here!"

Mavian
2008-01-14, 10:50 PM
"Wolves? Wolf would be tasty right now. Much better than crabs at any rate. Although I don't see any of the usual signs of someone being attacked. The area is rather notably lacking in detached limbs and bodily fluids."

Joe looks around the area for awhile.

"Perhaps they just wandered off?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-14, 11:20 PM
The barbarian gets up.

"A cunning speculation, o wizard! Mayhap they followed this set of footprints which leads from where they were, up the beach and into the forest?

Hmmm...my barbarian wilderness skills tell me it will be dark soon."

GimliFett
2008-01-15, 09:17 AM
With a snicker, the dwarf comments dryly. "Well, laddie, mah dwarven eyes tell me tha same, as well as sayin' Ah can see in tha dark." Krieg winks at the barbarian. "Can ya track 'em? If they've only joost left, we might be able ta catch up quickly, eh?"

Krieg looks around for enough large pieces of wreckage to make a decent shelter, as well as enough dry pieces to make a good fire.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-15, 10:36 AM
Krieg looks around for enough large pieces of wreckage to make a decent shelter, as well as enough dry pieces to make a good fire.

There are enough pieces to fuel a fire, but they've been broken up too much to be useful for shelter.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-15, 10:39 AM
[/COLOR] Krieg winks at the barbarian. "Can ya track 'em? If they've only joost left, we might be able ta catch up quickly, eh?"

"I certainly can, probably. Should be go now, or wait till light?"

GimliFett
2008-01-15, 12:48 PM
"As y'all cannae see in th' dark, Ah say we wait fer light, 'less ye've soom way a changin' that or we've got more'n three hours a light left. Whaddya think?" Krieg says as he gathers wood for a fire.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-16, 02:11 AM
"As y'all cannae see in th' dark, Ah say we wait fer light, 'less ye've soom way a changin' that or we've got more'n three hours a light left. Whaddya think?" Krieg says as he gathers wood for a fire.

"Some kind of method for seeing in the dark...hmm, no, I can't think of anything..."

the barbarian also helps gather wood.

GimliFett
2008-01-16, 05:27 PM
"Aside from a fire," Krieg says with a harumph, then mutters under his breath, "ye dolt." As he carries the wood back, the dwarf adds, "I doot ye can track soo well in tha dark, nae?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-16, 07:40 PM
"Not as well...but what if they're in danger right now?"

GimliFett
2008-01-17, 09:11 AM
With a sigh, Krieg looks at the barbarian. "Fine. How old're them tracks, laddie? If they're recent, we'll goo after them, ootherwise, it's foolish ta roon aroon' in tha woods with two nightblind kits, nae?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-17, 11:59 PM
With a sigh, Krieg looks at the barbarian. "Fine. How old're them tracks, laddie? If they're recent, we'll goo after them, ootherwise, it's foolish ta roon aroon' in tha woods with two nightblind kits, nae?"

Using his awesome tracking ability, Generic follows the footprints up the beach, to the jungle, where they reveal a path heading inland.

"Strange - when the sand stops, so do the footprints. WHAT VILE SORCERY IS THIS?"

Mavian
2008-01-18, 12:03 AM
Joe turns to look at the Dwarf and mutters quietly "The gods have decided to saddle us with an incompetent ignoramus it seems."

Sighing he turns back to the way the barbarian went. "I'm guessing its merely a change in the soil composition of the jungle that causes the footprints of any individual walking over it to not show up as clearly as they would in a softer, more easily compacted ground covering."

Jolly Steve
2008-01-18, 12:52 AM
"Yes. Indeed, they probably went to the...soil composition."

GimliFett
2008-01-18, 09:38 AM
Krieg slaps a hand across his own face. "Right," he mutters. "Look, do we have any way of knowin' how long agoo they left here? Otherwise we wait for dawn, nae?"

Jolly Steve
2008-01-18, 09:46 AM
"No" the barbarian says sadly.

GimliFett
2008-01-21, 03:24 PM
After building a fire and enjoying (blech!) crab for a meal once more, Krieg settles in for a rest. "Get some sleep, ya two. Ah'll get a quick nap, an' then keep watch, since Ah can see at night."

Mavian
2008-01-21, 04:11 PM
"If your staying awake, wouldn't it make sense for one of us to stay awake while you have your nap, to make sure that nothing attacks during the time our minds are contemplating the dreamscape? If that's the case, I'll most assuredly take the first watch while you get some sleep. I'm sure the light of the fire will be enough to allow me to spot any potential intruders."

GimliFett
2008-01-21, 04:14 PM
Krieg nods and grunts an affirmative. "Two hours, Lucky," he says and shortly thereafter snores soundly.

Mavian
2008-01-23, 12:03 PM
Mumbling to hisself. Joe is going to walk over and poke Krieg until he wakes up,

"Your watch"

Before falling asleep.

GimliFett
2008-01-23, 12:09 PM
"Huh? Whazza? Already? Damn!" Krieg murmurs as he rises and stretches, causing joints and cartilage to pop. "Sleep well. We've a busy day ahead, nae?" he offers Joe as he walks a perimeter around the group's camp.

GimliFett
2008-01-28, 10:51 AM
As dawn approaches, Krieg rounds up a few more crabs for breakfast, then wakes the sleepers. "Geddup! Let's eat an' get a move on, nae?" he growls.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-30, 03:15 AM
"Well friends - what is your counsel?"

GimliFett
2008-01-30, 04:18 PM
"We eat. You track. We follow. We find yer friends. Easy 'nuff, hm?" the dwarf growls.

Jolly Steve
2008-01-31, 05:20 AM
You eat. He tracks. You follow. A short walk along the path later, he says "I'm not sure whether they kept going, or turned off into the forest here."

GimliFett
2008-01-31, 06:01 PM
Krieg shakes his head slowly. "Look harder. How many didja say there were?" he asks.

He takes a deeper look himself, trying to determine for himself where the others must have gone.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-01, 05:29 AM
"Three - a halfling, and two magicians."

Jolly Steve
2008-02-01, 05:33 AM
It's easy to see that something went into the forest here. But whether it was Generic's shipmates, or someone or something else, you have no idea.

GimliFett
2008-02-01, 09:24 AM
"A halflin' an' two magicians? Th' li'l one shoulda had th' sense ta ken better, nae? But wizards is daft anywhere boot a library. No offense, Joe," Krieg offers his companion with a grin.

"Och. Let's check this way first," he indicates the trampled foliage, "then if we doon't see nothin', we come back here an' continue."

Mavian
2008-02-01, 01:20 PM
"No offense taken, most of the people that call themselves wizards are completely useless away from there books."

Joe is going to make himself invisible.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-02, 05:12 AM
The spell renders Joe completely invisible.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-02, 05:19 AM
You follow the trail of trampled plants and broken branches. It gets more obvious as you go on. After a while you see something human-looking ahead of you.

GimliFett
2008-02-04, 10:17 AM
Krieg taps Generic on the shoulder. "Friend o' yers?" he whispers with a nod towards the figure.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-04, 12:38 PM
"It might be" he whispers back,

"hard to tell from this distance. And I'm not sure, but whatever's up there looks more...naked than I remember them being."

Mavian
2008-02-04, 01:55 PM
"Maybe they're stay on the island has caused them to descend into some form of primal savagery, perhaps even cannibalism. We should definitely approach with caution"

Jolly Steve
2008-02-05, 07:36 PM
"Yes - nude cannibalism. The worst kind."

GimliFett
2008-02-07, 10:03 AM
The dwarf snorts. 'Ye two're daft!" he mutters to Generic and Joe as he stalks forward. "Ah'm nae standin' 'roun' a jungle all day cause some nekkid person is blockin' tha road!"