PDA

View Full Version : new campaign would love sugguestions

carousel
2007-12-02, 05:58 AM
hey I started doing a campaign, but my problem i am great at fluff bad at crunch,
my campaign is set in the future, it is a mixture of firefly, star wars and chronicles of riddick. which personally i think sounds cool. my campaign is based around a group of mercs ie. captain, pilot, doctor, 2nd in command, a thief / mechanic and a spell caster (mixture of wizard and sorcerer) which i called a charmer. but i am having trouble with stats. i based a lot of my characters on stuff from the players for all those who don't know what i mean players handbook. capitain- paladin, bard, ranger Pilot- wasn't sure so i winged it, doctor - cleric without magic although i was toying with the idea of having powers for that i dont know. 2nd in command - barb/ fighter . theif/ mechanic as a rogue and as i said before a charmer wizard/ sorcerer.
but my prob is i have no idea on what to do with BAB, fort, ref, will and what features would be appropriate for each character.
i also was playing with the idea of having guns and shields and ships, not space ship as of yet but ships that can go underwater as well, as hover and fly.
the character are stationed on a planet that has four main continents a volcanic is (fire), a floating island in the sky (air), mountain ( inside and well as outside) such as building built on the outside of the mountain (earth), a water one which is a massive island with secret island underneath so 2 layers with houses that are mechanical that float and can go under water, and have shields which is why i have a ship that goes underwater but haven't quiet worked out the mechanics for that yet.

but that is what i have so far so any idea or suggestions would be very helpful thanks

Satyr
2007-12-02, 07:28 AM
This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but I fear D&D is not the best system to run a Science Fiction game; it's not supposed to be.

Things you coul do:
Make a lot of magical items a lot cheaperand turn them into technology items. like the Personal Shield Projector (casting Shield or Mage's Armor several times a day), Antigrav Boots (boots of levitation), Tractor Beam Units (Telekinese) etc... Science Fiction is a lot about fun toys to play around with.
Likewise, magical potions become medicine, drugs or stimpacks.
I wouldn't use magic, but psionics. Has much more SF taste to it.

Abjurer
2007-12-02, 01:57 PM
Aye, I agree.

Change all the weapons too.
Blaster pistols, antimatter guns...
Remote detonators and grenades.

Somebloke
2007-12-02, 04:10 PM
hey I started doing a campaign, but my problem i am great at fluff bad at crunch,
my campaign is set in the future, it is a mixture of firefly, star wars and chronicles of riddick. which personally i think sounds cool. my campaign is based around a group of mercs ie. captain, pilot, doctor, 2nd in command, a thief / mechanic and a spell caster (mixture of wizard and sorcerer) which i called a charmer. but i am having trouble with stats. i based a lot of my characters on stuff from the players for all those who don't know what i mean players handbook. capitain- paladin, bard, ranger Pilot- wasn't sure so i winged it, doctor - cleric without magic although i was toying with the idea of having powers for that i dont know. 2nd in command - barb/ fighter . theif/ mechanic as a rogue and as i said before a charmer wizard/ sorcerer.
but my prob is i have no idea on what to do with BAB, fort, ref, will and what features would be appropriate for each character.
i also was playing with the idea of having guns and shields and ships, not space ship as of yet but ships that can go underwater as well, as hover and fly.
the character are stationed on a planet that has four main continents a volcanic is (fire), a floating island in the sky (air), mountain ( inside and well as outside) such as building built on the outside of the mountain (earth), a water one which is a massive island with secret island underneath so 2 layers with houses that are mechanical that float and can go under water, and have shields which is why i have a ship that goes underwater but haven't quiet worked out the mechanics for that yet.

but that is what i have so far so any idea or suggestions would be very helpful thanksThis may sound like a dumb idea, but have you considered picking up the Star Wars SAGA edition and removing the Jedi as a class? There's also a Firefly RPG out there...it just sounds like you might have an easier time of it making small alterations to a SF RPG rather than a lot of alterations to DND core. At the very least it will give you ideas which way to go.

Rigon
2007-12-02, 05:58 PM
if you wanna keep the dnd system then you would sooner or later throw out each class which can't use magical devices by default.