PDA

View Full Version : Tartarus Revisited

Ramos
2007-12-02, 09:45 AM
The Tarterian depths of Carceri, the prison plane, the land of the banished or simply Tartarus is one of the lower planes that, instead of reflecting an alignment and being filled with exemplars of that alignment is a plane populated by outcasts of the highest order. The ruling powers of every plane and the heads of every pantheon-with the exception of the Abyss-have banished their worst enemies and traitors to their cause into Tartarus for countless millenia. While Hell is a plane filled with devils ruled by Asmodeus' iron fist, it is an orderly place and, to some extent, mortals and other lower beings following the rules there are virtually safe. And while Gehenna and Hades are endless expanses of war and desolation, war and despair-while extremely dangerous-are nothing new in Creation. But just as the Abyss is the home of all those powers of destruction above any other plane and deities turning against their own are sent there for eternity and unimaginable evils are spawned from its infinite depths, Tartarus, while not a true infinity as the Abyss is, has collected the losers of the Prime since the world's creation. It is not the endlessness of a terrible infinity where horrors are spawned without end and noone can know their number; Tartarus does not give the damned infinite options. The facet of damnation the prison plane embodies is instead eternity-the same ancient evils from the dawn of time are forever bound into its depths, their punishment lingering eternally.
Tartarus is home to old deposed deities too powerful to be slain and fade in the Astral, beings of cosmic power that the deities of the ancient world defeated and stole their domains from, abominations and demigods that those that bested them imprisoned them forever. Fallen that were sent to Tartarus before Hell existed, now turned to Demodands-spirits forever bound to the plane that will do anything to share their eternal imprisonment with new entrants. Dragons that were purged from entire worlds when mortals in them rose to power and eradicated them, their long banishment turning them to twisted caricatures of themselves, wurms of darkness. And finally, those that failed in one way or another in the eyes of their masters and were banished there as punishment for a time, all the older and more powerful prisoners seeking to keep them there forever.
Ironic it is that the only crime everyone is ever banished to Tartarus for is failure, really. Those that betray their masters or overthrow morals and seek to forge their own order of Tyranny are sent to Hell. Those that do evil for evil's sake are sent to Gehenna. Those that spread mindless destruction, madness and corruption of the soul are sent to the Abyss. Only for trying one of the above but being caught and failing are you sent to Tartarus. Only those immortals and deities defeated in combat and cannot or will not be slain are imprisoned eternally. As a result Tartarus, while an evil place because eternal imprisonmnet eventually drives almost anyone to either vengeful rage or madness, is not filled solely by evil creatures. Beings of every type are banished there for their failures, to be trapped eternally for Tartarus inhibits any attempts to escape its confines. Is escape possible? Noone can say for those that escaped are either mad beyond salvation or keep the secret with their lives lest the enemies they made in that place get free and hunt them. That, however, rarely makes new prisoners any wiser and they attempt the escape anyway-most often with disastrous results...

...There was no light in the room for there is no sun in this place, no day or night, only the subtle illumination of the plane itself. Other planes ofcourse have different laws and the lack of of the pull of the stars or true passage of time in the form of days, seasons and years is a fact quickly felt by spirits of any kind. The pull of the earth-gravity some mortals call it-is also subtly different, a bit stronger so the feeling of being under some sort of ligering weight as if in a deep cave is ever-present. The room was some sort of cavern, seemingly natural but without the water that eats away the stone or the cracks of the earth's movement that create such caves. Its edges lost in the dim illumination, its ceiling fifty or more feet high, no windows or doors visible at all, it would be a prison to mortals-but not to spirits. Usually. Ofcourse, usually is very far from always in such situations. The nature of the place was different from the Prime-being an outer plane, it touched neither the Shadow nor the Ethereal and this spot was somehow cold spiritually. It didn't take long for those with the ability to realise the deep-buried piece of magic within their essence that allowed them to traverse vast distances via teleportation was dormant-this room, now obviously a prison, was either under a dimensional lock or disjoined from the Astral through the power of an immortal.
Yes, definitely a prison. The memory of how you got here is unclear at best-though the lingering stiffness and remembered pain in muscles and joints would indicate something unpleasant-but the why, that is very clear indeed. And as in most prisons, no prisoner is alone though this one seems to have many prisoners in one big cell; there are other bodies of varying shapes moving in the dark, coming out of the same torpor that seems to have held all of them during their coming here...

The dim illumination is not only absence of light but also a thin mist. You can see as far as normal but the details are fewer than normal beyond a few dozen feet.
The prison is disjoined from the Astral, there is no Ethereal or Shadow and it is under an undeniable gravity effect (you can't fly). Your other powers work normally.
Please make an introduction of your characters in your first post, posting what the others can see of you. Don't give out info that would not be observable (e.g. the fact that you're a demon, devil or angel) as this should be discovered during roleplaying.

Greyen
2007-12-02, 10:11 AM
Sri

Two red eyes blink in the darkness before fading to a dim red glow. A man sized shape is barely visible in the gloom. He, if it has any discernable sex at all, stands in one of the brightest spots in the room. Dark black, grey skin shimmers in the light, slim built his sinewy muscles ripple as he looks around. He nods to each of you wordlessly before he slowly walks into one of the darker areas and fades from view.

Lochar
2007-12-02, 10:47 AM
Italics=Thoughts to self
"Text"=Speaking
"This"=Telepathy

Kiramanthu

Groaning slightly to himself, Kiramanthu stood, shaking his wings and feeling the oppressive weight holding them down from lifting his body. Mentally assessing himself, he feels the connection to the Astral gone as well.

Chitinous black skin shifts as he moves around for a moment, assessing any lingering damage done to him. Finding the last few of his aches and bruises fading, he nods to himself.

Apparently I failed in the overthrow...

Stretching his claws out, Kiramanthu looks around the prison, seeing the others rising. Withholding judgement about any he can see, he moves about in the prison, looking for the edge of the walls, attempting to find a door or any other means of egress.

Taking 20 on a search, for a quite sad total of 22.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-02, 12:20 PM
Giant Toad?

An obese mass of flesh in the corner shudders and unfolds to reveal a hideous toad creature of impossible fatness, one with a quivering mouth and watering eyes that it quickly buries into its fatty hands.

Why won't anyone mate with me!

It blubbers in a deep bubbling bass voice

ChChChChoooooo!

For anyone who hasn't heard a toad chitter when its scared or upset, it absolutely hilarious and actually sounds something like that.
Awash in its misery the toad will rock back and forth weeping loudly.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-02, 01:32 PM
Asha

Another winged form stirs in the dark, batlike wings flapping for a few moments in futility, straining to lift a slender form.
Damn
Two hands raised at shoulder-level as if the creature is offering something, it holds that stance for a moment then wispers
Let there be dark!
In its left hand a black fire strewn with flames of green sprouts like water from a fountain reveals a slender arm, that of an elf-or a woman, while at the same time another black fire sprouts from its right hand tinged with a shade of purple. Both conflagrations spread upon the creature's body revealing a slender, athletic and very definitely female body with a pair of batlike wings and a long mane of black hair reaching to its-or rather her-lower back. Within three heartbeats, she stands wreathed head to foot in the black flames, wearing them instead of the clothes she lacks-a daring fashion statement indeed. Ruby lips twist into a smile and ebony-colored almond-shaped eyes glint with either amusement or anger-you cannot tell. The voice that follows is musical but deep with an otherworldly echo as if coming from deep within a cave though it is still recognisably female.
And there was dark and the Black Flame came forth to devour the souls of her enemies.
And then the she-fiend laughed, her voice echoing like that of a thousand women. Looking around her she shook her head and moved on to explore her new prison.
Well, it could be much worse. I could be bound in one of Esras' imprisoning spheres for all time. I could...
Interrupted at that moment by the frog-thing's wail and absurd request, the she-fiend winced.
On second thought, here's not much better either. At least in Abaddon I didn't have to put up with insane slaadi...

Lochar
2007-12-02, 01:51 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu pauses in his search to look at the female. "You say that as if all slaadi weren't insane." he sends to her, before returning to his searching.

Greyen
2007-12-02, 02:13 PM
Sri

The shadowy figure moves about in the darkness. Seeing someone searching for something he moves toward him. He speaks to Kiramanthu
[infernal] What are you searching for? Surely whoever put us here wouldn't have been naive enough to leave a way out. The eyes angle for a moment as if in thought before he continues in a sarcastic tone [infernal] Every prison does need a way in and out though. With that Sri begins searching too.

Search [roll0]
True Seeing active

Lochar
2007-12-02, 02:16 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu shrugs. "A way in, at least. If I were to imprison someone, I wouldn't care to have a way for them to leave. But if you can put something in, you should be able to force your way back out of it."

Greyen
2007-12-02, 02:18 PM
Sri

[Infernal] True enough. The black thing (devil?) slides across the walls unseen, searching as he goes.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-02, 06:19 PM
Asha

The fire-wreathed female smiles at the other demon and sends back
Oh, they are. But as with all things, insanity has many forms, strengths and manifestations. Some slaadi are pretty good to have around-bigger mouths, better screams you know? It is the childish ones I cannot stand. I'll see if this one can be "reasoned" with.
The she-fiend walks up to the giant toad-persumably a slaad of some kind-looks upon its pathetically tearful state and frowns.
What's your problem now? We're all trying to have a nice, restful time in prison-there's no reason for you to spoil it for the rest of us!
It is clear to anyone watching that the fire-fiend's reasonable manners are a facade-she's only toying with the "giant toad". Not that most slaadi would know how to tell the difference-or care.

The_Snark
2007-12-02, 06:54 PM
Mara

Another shape stirs in the gloom, better visible in the thin mist than most. Human-sized, it is swathed nearly head to toe in dim white light, hiding even the figure's face from view. The dark makes it difficult to see, but white shapes on her back make it look as if she has white feathered wings.

A sigh escapes the figure, and she (for while the face is not visible, the figure, at least, is feminine) straightens, crossing over to where voices have begun to sound through the dimness. The white wings remain folded behind her. For now, she does not speak; the tilt of her head says she is watching the few nearby.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-02, 08:47 PM
Giant Toad?

Everyone is mean to me and none of them will let me lay my eggs in them!

The toads blubbering bass only slightly hitches before she vomits profusely over herself (extremely vile btw) and farts loudly.

Heedless of the vile acts she just demonstrated (or perhaps not comprehending that others might find them repulsive or disgusting) she looks down with large waters eyes and asks:

Will you be my friend?

You know those legends about demons that swallow oceans? well the Fiendish Codex I pretty much states that demons can A) eat an infinite amount of food and drink infinite amounts of water and B) vomit or release excrement at will and in infinite amounts. As a vile demon I plan on using this to the extent that Ramos will allow me.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-02, 09:01 PM
Asha

Having lived in the Abyss where there are much worse and viler things, Asha is not really impressed. This creature may be disgusting but it is only demeaning itself-Asha's fires simply burn away any excrements. Still, such displays are not very polite-even among fiends.

There are a few reasons no-one will be your friend. Your behaviour, for one. Your prospective friends being fiends themselves for another-we don't have friends, only situational allies.

Also, I find your lack of huiegene annoying. Take care not to annoy me too much.

Lochar
2007-12-02, 10:05 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu stops searching when the bile washes over his taloned feet, and looks at the frog thing, speaking for the first time. [Abyssal]"If you insist on blubbering, I will insist on finding a way to sew up your mouth, thing. Are you a demon, or some mortal infant?"

Greyen
2007-12-02, 11:15 PM
Sri

Sri continues his search of the area. He pauses for a moment and gives a pointed looks to the toad demon before carrying on. The others in the room are obviously needling it into action. As he moves around the room, he begins to activate his buffs.

Activating, the following SLA's which Sri wil keep active unless otherwise stated.
Nondetection
Greater Invisibility

Paladin Latham
2007-12-03, 02:36 AM
Gertrude

The blubbering Toad Demon suddenly rises to her full 32ft. height, her massive cheeks and throat sack bulging and deflating with angry wheezing breaths.

You think Gertrude is weak! You think to make light of Gertrude's sorrow!

At this point it seems as though half of her flab becomes rigid as adamantine.

Gertrude does not care. Gertrude just wants free... and babies!

At this point she turns to a wall and... licks it? Maybe she's just insane...

Or maybe it's a tongue-slam! [roll0]

Hmm... forgot to throw in 12 points of power attack. Well theres always next round unless I get blasted or something.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-03, 03:06 AM
Asha

Asha frowns and shakes her head-this creature either had serious emotional issues or was truly insane. Since the situation wasn't going to evolve to something fun, Asha looks up at the bloated frog-fiend once then turns away while replying.
Get a grip. If no-one will take you either learn how to change into a more enticing shape or find a male and take them by force. It doesn't matter how strong you are-crying makes you seem pathetic.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-03, 03:17 AM
Gertrude

Despite the results of her assault on the wall, Gertrude will Polymorph into... an obese naked human woman

Now am I beautiful?

She strikes a pose.

Greyen
2007-12-03, 03:36 AM
Sri

Ahh, no wonder the stories of this plane are so horrific. If I am going to be trapped in this chamber with this lot for very long there are going to be some problems. Demons and possibly an angel. I wonder what has brought them all here.

Sri continues his unseen search of the walls. Checking the ceiling and floors. As he passes the great toad he moves gingerly so as to not get any off it effluence on him. [[abyssal] Was it necessary to make such a disgusting mess on the floor? At the very least, clean up your own filth.

Continuing to search. Using detect magic as as I go, in addition to True Seeing and +24 modifier.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-03, 03:41 AM
Gertrude

Warping back to her normal form, Gertrude will look in confusion between Sri and the vomit-floor

Do you want me to drink it back up? I am kind of hungry...

Greyen
2007-12-03, 03:50 AM
Sri
-OOC: I am assuming everyone is defaulting to abyssal as a common language?-

I really don't care what you do with it. Just make it go away. Sri says.

disgusting fat toad demons! Of all the possible cellmates. Ahhh! No wonder the demons fought each other as much as the fought us.

Ramos
2007-12-03, 04:43 AM
The vast room is several hundred feet wide and actually a compressed cylinder in shape. It is choke-full of abjuration and evocation magic, especially the walls that don't seem at all harmed by the toad-demon's angry attack.

As more stirring forms are revealed, the toad-demon's foulness simply vanishes, the smell lingering for a time then it, too, is gone.

Unless we're within the Abyss, any non-living excrements from a fiend simply vanish in one round just like their bodies do if they die.

Greyen
2007-12-03, 07:55 AM
Sri

Well, that makes life easier. Sri moves on continuing his search.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-04, 05:39 AM
Asha

Seeking a bit of amusement-and an angelic creature imprisoned in Tartarus is quite amusing on its own, Asha turns away from the sulky giant toad and walks towards the lighted corner where the celestial stands to get a better look. The contrast between the black flames Asha wears as clothing and the light coming from the angel is quite striking. When Asha comes into the light's area she smiles and begins her questioning of the angel-this would be fun.
One such as you must have done something truly evil by your miguided standards or impressively stupid to end up here. Which of the two was it?

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 06:01 AM
Mara

The angelic figure keeps her gaze on the floor, insofar as it is possible to tell. It becomes clearer, as Asha draws nearer, that the cloak of white is not clothing, but a dim glow that cloaks her and prevents her face (and the rest of her body) from being easily made out. "Neither, and both," she says softly. "I am here for two reasons. One is pride and foolishness. I will not excuse my mistakes." She raises her head slightly, although she is still not looking at the demon before her. "And I am also here for the same reasons as you."

Greyen
2007-12-04, 06:14 AM
Sri

Curiosity killed the cat. Sri slides over in the darkness, And you demoness? What did you do to be here? His tone is flat no amusement or emotion to be heard. It appears that there is no egress from here. I think we should at least know each others names. I am Sri.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-04, 10:49 AM
Asha

The blackfire-cloaked she-demon bursts in laughter.
Oh, I very much doubt I am here for the same reasons you are, celestial. And why the downcast eyes? You believe you erred to do what put you here or are you apalled that your own perfect celestial choir would use Tartarus as punishment?
Turning to the new arrival Asha smiles wickedly then takes a step towards him.
What I did to be here? Why, I killed far too many of you-or rather, fiends like you. The killings were amusing-too bad they belonged to a fiend much greater than I.
The demoness takes another step towards the other fiend, her tone light and friendly, the meaning not.
Would you like me to display my methods?

Lochar
2007-12-04, 11:00 AM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu moves over to the angelic being and the blackfire one. "Aww, does the poor angelic miss the pearly gates? I failed to assassinate my Lord to take his place. Since you say we're here for the same reason, which leader of the light were you trying to kill?"

He then raises an eyebrow at the she-demon. "I think I've heard about you. You annoyed several of the higher ups with that. I, on the other hand, thought it wasn't a bad example to set. They couldn't keep their's under control, they didn't deserve to have them."

Greyen
2007-12-04, 12:17 PM
Sri

Ahh, some of us are here for similar reasons at least. I killed those who I was told to kill. Unfortunately for me, they did not belong to whom my master thought they did. I took the fall. I will have my revenge for that.

As for your methods, I really do not care to try you right now. You may be the key I need to escape Tartarus. I may be yours. Sri is unfazed by the demonesses implied threat. He even winks at her at his closing words.

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 12:25 PM
Mara

The white-cloaked figure shakes her head slowly as first the blackfire demon and then the vrock speak and laugh. "Am I not here for the same reasons?" she asks quietly. "Pride and a personal failing? That, though," she sighs, "that was not what I meant." No more than I expected, though. If they could see what I meant at once, they would not be where they are.

"I am not appalled to be here," she goes on. "I accept it. Sometimes a harsh penace is necessary."

Paladin Latham
2007-12-04, 03:08 PM
Gertrude

Waddling up to the others with wet slappy steps Gertrude tries to recall exactly why she was here...

He was so handsome, the little duck demon. I didn't mean to eat him, but he was so tasty and small when we kissed that I gobbled him right up.

she looks at nothing in particular, rubbing her massive head as she tries to remember what happened next.

I think that made his mother angry, he did say she was someone important...

giving up on remembering the details Gertrude will look at everyone and then lick the angel
touch [roll0] no damage, its just a lick.
Mmm... so pretty, so yummy. Will you be my friend?

Greyen
2007-12-04, 03:11 PM
Sri

Sri looks at the Angel IF your friend licks me, you will be the one who pays. Do you understand? The monotone in his voice carries an odd hint of threat in it.

Lochar
2007-12-04, 03:15 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu looks at the frog and laughs darkly before looking at the angel, speaking with a chuckle. "Better you than me."

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 03:30 PM
Mara

Mara does not flinch at the rather grotesque licking; nor does she look upwards. "If you wish," she says kindly. In some ways, she will be more difficult than the rest, I fear.

She shakes her head once as she looks about at the others, although she still doesn't look all the way up; it's hard to tell through the mist and the dim glow about her, but she seems to be smiling. "Curious... And why do you shun simple filth so? Are you that repelled?"

Greyen
2007-12-04, 03:42 PM
Sri

It is simple, filth leaves tracks. Most messes of any kind leave tracks. Tracks for people to find out who killed their .....whatever...friend, boss, sibling, parent....whatever.

Lochar
2007-12-04, 04:51 PM
Kiramanthu

"It's not the filth that would be my problem, but the friendship of that."

He then looks at the angel and nods very slightly. "I am Kiramanthu, by the way."

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-04, 06:38 PM
Asha

The demoness frowns at both the celestial and the frog-thing.
Filth is only natural-if it is physical. It is the filth of the mind I find disturbing, be it the insanity of a slaad, the blind conviction of an archon or the misguided compassion of an Eladrin.
Asha thinks for a moment then nods and continues.
I am Asha, by the way. The name means Truth Revealed or Searing Flame-take your pick.

Lochar
2007-12-04, 06:43 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu coughs, laughing. "Or the Truth revealed by the searing Flame."

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 07:34 PM
Mara

"Mara," the angel replies as the others give their name. After a pause, she muses, "Curious that the flames obscure rather than reveal... You find compassion misguided, then? Can you say whether it is misguided when you do not know what it is aimed at?"

Paladin Latham
2007-12-04, 07:51 PM
Gertrude

Perplexed at the argument Gertrude says

Food is love, loving is eating

Proud of her logical conclussion, Gertrude sits down with a giant 'FLOP'.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-04, 08:14 PM
Asha

The flames do not obscure-they burn. One truth they reveal is that all things die-among many others. And if you mean their concealing my body, we're beings of spirit-not this crude matter. It is the body that is a shell for the soul and the fires display clearly what lies within.
Stopping to think for a moment, Asha looks back at the celestial, her expression serious.
Ofcourse compassion is misguided. The enemy you spare will strike back. The opposition you allow to exist can bring you down. The weak you aid only grow weaker because they learn to rely on you instead of on themselves. The fools you enlighten will misunderstand and misuse the truth. But above all else, each act of compassion requires some piece of you, be it time, effort, power or emotion. You are diminished for you spend your resources on others-but those you give a piece of yourself are also diminished as they acheive nothing by themselves. In the end, all you manage to do with compassion is destroy both yourself and those you wish to help.

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 08:45 PM
Mara

"Of course compassion is giving a piece of oneself. But the enemy shown mercy is not necessarily an enemy thereafter. The gift can be an enduring lesson. The giving can strengthen rather than weaken—both the giver and the receiver. What is the alternative? To live locked in an iron tower of your own strength, knowing that every last creature would pull you down if only it could? One day, one would succeed." Mara's tone is not antagonistic, but rather truly interested; she turns towards the flame-clothed demon, although her face is still cast downwards.

Lochar
2007-12-04, 09:24 PM
Kiramanthu

"Take my former master for example. I failed to kill him, but either I will or another will one day. It is a fine line to walk, having those below you strong enough to do their duties, but not strong enough to overthrow you. My ex-lord has walked his line so far."

Kiramanthu looks at the celestial. "Although, do you truly wish to always follow? To know that those ahead of you will continually grow in strength? Isn't there a time when you know you are more powerful, but whatever ideals you hold to won't allow you to surpass that one, because they outrank you? Don't you want to forsake rank and do what you know is 'right'?"

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 10:08 PM
Mara

Mara's smile is not really visible through the hazy glow about her. "Is that not the point I make? Even if you had succeeded, you too would need walk that line, and it could not last forever. And why should rank concern me?" Her voice becomes amused. "Why should I need forsake rank to do what is right? Rank is a measure of respect—or fear, among your kind. If my judgement were good, others would follow my lead. If I had any desire to lead."

Lochar
2007-12-04, 10:16 PM
Kiramanthu

"Ah, then you are not one of those that follow severe strictures? I could almost begin to tolerate your kind. As much as I'd normally kill any of those who follow the path of light, I would kill twice as fast those who think that laws are to be written and followed, instead of just bleeding for what is right."

Kiramanthu spits at the ground. "And I would not follow that line. Had I succeeded, I would have killed all weaker than me, and plotted the death of those stronger. I misjudged the strength of my opponent, and ended up here for doing so."

Greyen
2007-12-04, 11:23 PM
Sri

Sri chuckles at the display of philosphy coming from the others. He would never understand some things. -Why must everything be about the search for power. I never again want to control too many blood thirsty hungry fiends. Too dangerous. There are advantages to being the bottom rung somedays.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-05, 01:42 AM
Gertrude

Gertrude uses her Major Creation ability to conjure a humanoid sized, winged doll and proceeds to devour it noisily. The tomato juice that it was filled with sprays dramatically out of it as she chews it down.

Talking makes Gertrude hungry, lets talk about leaving the bad room maybe?

Greyen
2007-12-06, 03:03 AM
Sri

I think you may need to make one. There are no discerable exits at this point. Sri looks around the room and after studying the walls for a moment, points to a wall with out any obvious creatures near it and invoke a discordant blast of magical power.

Greater Dispel Magic on a wall [roll0]
Try to observe if there any changes to the magics on the wall using Detect Magic before and after the spell.

The Glyphstone
2007-12-06, 07:36 PM
Flouvouge

The wall might or might not react to Sri's blast, but something else definitely does. Any previous inspection would have dismissed the filmy red goo coating the crevice between floor and wall to be some leftover effluvia or byproduct of one of the myraid local creatures - until it moves, shuddering and rippling out of its niche. It flows together from where it was spread out across the room, coalescing and collecting into a single large blob.

Gertrude may be disgusting, but at least a gigantic toad-demon has a more mundane counterpart to be used as comparison. The new arrival to this impromptu council is even worse, enough so that even the most jaded and indifferent present are momentarily revolted by its appearance - even if they could otherwise care less. It 'stands' some ten feet tall, a pile of dark red jelly condensed into a roughly humanoid shape, rivulets of blackish slime trickling from its sides to the floor where it evaporates. Pale white eyes of various sizes float in the goo, drifting around of their own accord and staring at the group. Deeper inside, what might be innards also twist and writhe around randomly. A crevice opens in what passes for a head, and it speaks in thick Abyssal, burbling and wet.

"Yyyyou reallyyyyy shhhould be more carefullll where you aim that - though it did suceed in wwwwwwaking from myyyyy stuporrrrrr...

Greyen
2007-12-07, 03:04 AM
Sri

Sri listens in to the ongoing discussion as he looks around the rest of the room. Escaping this cell is going to be difficult. We will have to work together if there is any way for us to escape. I wonder if there are any other sentients in the cell that we are missing.

Scanning the room trying to locate any other cellmates - Spot [roll0]

Ne0
2007-12-07, 08:25 AM
Despite that being a really bad check, I'll roll with it, because I need an introduction. :smallbiggrin:
Sorry for takng so long. And glyphstone, I started writing this yesterday, but gotinterrupted, so your character is kind of...left out. Sorry once more.
Also, Knowledge(The Planes) check for my character to know a way to get out or anything else helpful to their escape.
[roll0]
Edit: Darnit. Stupid 'preview post'.

Sri notices a small creature hiding somewhere in the corner of the cell. It looks like an imp, although slightly larger than the average one, and its once hell red colot seems to have blended with a touch of grey, softening it forthe eyes and making it easier for him to hide in the cell. Only its tail remains a fiery red, with at the end a stinger. The creature seems to have been sitting there all along, observing his cellmates

When the imp notices that he's been spotted, he jumps up from its proned position.
"Trix Flix! Those are some good eyes to spot me!"
The creature, speaking quickly at a soft but nasal tone, appears to be male. He sighs.
"I suppose there's not much use staying in this corner, is there?" He steps forward, presenting himself as Antx, wether or not anyone cares or listens to the small imp. He's pleased to have some company, and you're not sure if he's aware of who his cellmates are.
"I've been here for a while now, and Gzxt, this place drives you crazy if you don't have to talk to!
He now takes a more thourough look at the others, stopping for a moment, and then grinning.
Trix Flix! We've got some variation here! A good deal of our cousins; the demons," he continues his monologue, probably addressing Sri. He turns to Mara.
"And even one of our eh...further relatives!"
Totally missing the blob to his right - perhaps he thinks its some decoration? - he stares intensely at the angel, not a single expression on his face, except for his head turning slightly to the right to denote his curiosity.

Greyen
2007-12-07, 12:50 PM
Sri

Sri bends down and offers the imp and hand up to his shoulder. [infernal] Looks like no one is flying anytime soon little one, want a perch for now?

I wonder if this little imp is what he seems. Why would they exile him instead of destroying him? Curious. Well he is probably the closest thing to an ally I have right now.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-07, 01:56 PM
Gertrude

Gertrude approaches Flouvouge and looks at it with curiosity before proceeding to gum it like a lolipop

You taste spicey little pudding!

touch [roll0] (I've been forgetting to add my BAB :smallbiggrin: )
Harmless, just gumming the strange pudding. If I take acid or vile damage let me know.

The Glyphstone
2007-12-07, 06:01 PM
Flouvouge tastes absolutely disgusting, even to Gertrude’s indiscriminate appetite – bitter, with a hint of something that makes her tongue muscles tingle weakly for a moment. Furthermore, when she tries to retract her tongue, it proves extremely difficult – its rubbery red jelly sticks to her flesh persistently. Several eyes migrate over to study the tongue critically.

”Perhappppps, but I am sure yyyyyyou woullllld find me extremellllyyy difficullllt to digest, if yyyyyyou managed it at alllllll.”

No acid or vile damage, but you need to make a DC 33 Reflex save or have your tongue glued to me. A DC33 Strength check will pull it free.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-07, 06:22 PM
Gertrude

Gertrude giggles with pleasure and, pulling away with super-strength says:

You are sticky like taffy too!

Reflex save [roll0] then strength check [roll1], [roll2], [roll3] (if the first and second don't work I'll try three times before talking anyway)

The_Snark
2007-12-07, 07:52 PM
Mara

"A pleasure to meet you, Antx," the angel replies formally. The glow around her makes it hard for the imp to discern anything more than a hint of her features; her face is the least obscured, but she is looking down—and as if to avoid looking directly at anyone, away from the imp.

"Do not be too impatient to leave," she says softly, for the benefit of Sri and the others searching for a way out. "We have all the time we could need, and there are worse places than this."

Ne0
2007-12-08, 06:27 AM
The Imp looks a bit disappointed in the angel for a second, and then turns to Sri. He smiles, and now seems to have control over himself again, speaking a little slower, and less loud.
"That would be delightful!" he says, and without further ado, jumps on the devil's hand. The imp doesn't seem to have any claws, but he is careful with his stinger, wrapping it around himself, and then simply sitting there with a peaceful expression on his face.
"...and a lot more polite than I've been treated lately." the creature adds with a small sigh, but not loud enough for anyone to hear it.

Greyen
2007-12-08, 06:50 AM
Sri

Sri lifts Antx to his shoulder offering him a place to perch at eye level with most of th others, or as close to it as he can get. He quietly looks around their prison cell studying the others closely as he does so. An interesting mix we have here. A demon of flame, a toad demon, a slime demon, an angel, an odd imp, myself and Kiramanthu.

Knowledge Planes checks to place try and identify the assorted types of folks for what they are and any other information I can glean about them.
Asha - [roll0]
Mara - [roll1]
Kiramanthu - [roll2]
Antx - [roll3]
Gertrude - [roll4]
Flouvouge - [roll5]

Greyen
2007-12-09, 02:14 PM
OOC- Sorry for the double post but I am trying to get some conversation going, or something.

Sri

In the quiet gloom the dark figure of the fiend Sri moves about restlessly. His red eyes burn brightly. Antx can feel Sri's fury seething as he perches on the devil shoulder.

Antx hears Sri whisper something in infernal Gorunth.

After that Sri reclaims control of his emotions and turns back to the group. He looks to the others and begins to speak to them in abyssal We are obviously trapped here together. I think that whatever has trapped us here may not have planned on such a unique and unusual band of spirits to be able to work together. I think that if we are able to combine our efforts we may just be able to get out of this cell. To where? I do not know, but that is beside that fact right now. I ask that we all lay aside centuries or even millenia old differences aside for a while so we can formulate a plan to remove ourselves from this pit. I do not think any of us will accept the yoke or burden or a leader among us, but let us decide by council. How can we get out of here?

Paladin Latham
2007-12-09, 03:26 PM
Gertrude

Gertrude offers her strength, *BURRRPP* and her stomach!

She poses heroicly before she folds her bulk inward so that her hands can meet. She takes a mournful stance and mutters to herself (still in a loud bass).

Babies... Chchchooo...

Ramos
2007-12-09, 06:17 PM
The conversation is interrupted as a fairly wide circular opening manifests in the cavern roof, its width increasing until it reaches threescore feet. The huge, bloated forms of tarterian guards-each one wider than even Gertrude and closely resembling pus-filled boils with short, stubby arms and legs and even more misshapen heads-surround the opening, each one holding a long black trident seemingly made of coal but probably out of some obscure alchemical metal-perhaps dark mithril. Counting more than two dozen Shators-a greater form of demodand roughly equaling in power a marilith-you realise you wouldn't stand a chance fighting them even if you could reach them as high up as they now stand. Their gurgling voices-are even their throats filled with pus and fat?-echo in a twisted symphony until the most bloated, uglier of the group takes a sep forth, bends low over the opening and speaks:
You are prisoners now you filthy maggots. If you don't cooperate you'll be bound then your essence devoured while you're still concsious until you're demoted to soul-larvae. And then you'll pass the rest of eternity in that very unpleasant state. Now drop down any active power or magic, get beneath the opening and prepare to be lifted.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-09, 07:37 PM
Gertrude

Squeeling with glee Gertrude moves under the opening with her arms outstretched.

My heroes! Will you mate with me handsome fatling?

The_Snark
2007-12-09, 08:25 PM
Mara

The angel's only reaction to Sri's proposal before the opening appears is a slight tilting of the head, as if wondering something; then the opening appears. She half-looks upwards, then lowers her head again, wondering at their appearance. Walls have ears, here. Demondands... or gehreleths, to use the older name. A living warning to us—a sentence meted out in anger, even if just, can be as poisonous to the spirit as jealousy or malice. It is a wonder more do not see it.

There doesn't seem to be any point in resisting them directly, however, and so Mara's defensive enchantments and wards fade one by one. Even the dim haze of light about her fades away, although she remains difficult to make out clearly for some reason. Her wings, it becomes clear, are more of a light grey color without the light about them, and her long, flowing hair is dark.

Greyen
2007-12-09, 09:55 PM
Sri

Sri moves unders the opening and and strips himself of his magics. Silently memorizing faces as he can attempting to remember which one of the demondand's is in charge.

Lochar
2007-12-09, 10:08 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu nods and moves to be lifted, dropping the few magics he always had active on himself.

It would only take a moment to reactivate them, anyways.

Ne0
2007-12-10, 06:58 AM
Antx does like his companions, removing one simple magical defense, and then stays put on Sri's shoulder. His expression didn't change - a wide smile. He still seemed to be a little euphoric about having company, and mortals always said that a change of environment every once in a while was good - not that those creatures should be taken too seriously, but they were sometimes quite wise in their own simplicity.

The Glyphstone
2007-12-11, 03:46 PM
Burbling softly, Flouvouge flows over to the indicated location. Nothing visible changes about his appearance.

Ramos
2007-12-12, 04:36 AM
Pointing their tridents collectively at each member of the group in turn, the demodand jailors lift each and every one of you out of sight. It appears that the tridents confer the ability to manipulate others telekinetically and with as many of them used at once even the largest loads (such as Gertrude) could be moved.
What those of you remaining below don't realise is that once each prisoner is taken out of sight they are immediately covered in paralysing slime by another, smaller group of demodands then blinded via magic while the tridents are telekinetically holding them immobile and helpless.
It takes a few minutes to take all of the group out of the cell due to your size and your innate resistance. Gertrude is so big that almost all the tridents have to be used at once-and the guards try again and again until a sufficient number have overcome her innate resistance to magic while Asha has to wait for more than a minute-while she is smaller the tridents seem unable to affect her in less than a dozen tries-and Mara has to have her aura dispelled as it prevents the blindness spells from affecting her. Neither Asha nor Flouvouge are affected by the paralysation at all so they march with an escort while blinded while everyone else is carried.

With the entire group in custody, the guards relocate to another chamber via a portal. Not much later, a blast of magic instantly negates your blindness and paralysation and you find yourselves in a much smaller, square room that seems to barely fit all of you as well as another denizen of Tartarus that is more weird than most. Its physical manifestation towers fifteen feet high in the shape of a female human. Instead of flesh, however, the netherspirit is entirely made of eyes of varying sizes and colors. Its thousands of eyes following all of you at once, it observes for a few moments then adresses you with a feminine voice:
I am Beradax, netherspirit of suffering. I will be your sponsor. Do you know why you are here?

The_Snark
2007-12-12, 05:56 AM
Mara

Mara makes no sign of complaint as the light about her is extinguished and she is blinded and incapacitated, going so far as to lower the innate resistance to magic for their spells—delaying will hardly accomplish anything—and she is quiet as her senses are restored. The creature of eyes seems almost to discomfit her in some way; she lowers her head further, black hair hanging down over her shoulders and about her face, further obscuring it. Still, her voice is as calm as it was before as she replies; maybe her apparent discomfort is something else, or maybe not looking at the spirit helps her keep her voice composed.

"I know why I am here in Tartarus," she replies softly. "Not why I am here in this chamber." She raises her head fractionally, not high enough for her face to be seen. "A part of our penace, I assume?"

Greyen
2007-12-12, 11:27 AM
Sri

I too, know why I have been sent to Carceri, but not why I am in this chamber. I believe that most of us, will have the same thing to say, if not all. Obviously discomfitted by the eye thing Sri sidles into the shadow of Gertrude after he speaks.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-12, 03:21 PM
Gertrude

Gertrude, enthralled with the creature murmurs

Eyes are so yummy...

LICK! [roll0] touch, harmless.

Lochar
2007-12-12, 03:24 PM
Kiramanthu

"I know why I am here in this plane, yes." He looks at the toad, shaking his head slightly.

Greyen
2007-12-12, 03:40 PM
Sri

Sri seeing that the shadow he was beginning to melt into suddenly attacking the netherspirit, even harmlessly, steps back and to the left of Gertrude. Oh, Dispater why have you forsaken me? Every thing I do in this realm will be visited upon Gorunth ten-fold.

Ramos
2007-12-13, 04:52 AM
As Gertrude tries to lick Beradax, several of the eyes lock upon her and she suddenly stops as if she's hit a wall. Ofcourse, to those with the ability to see such things, a transparent yellowish wall has indeed materialised before Beradax-a nigh impenetrable barrier made of force. Pursing its lips made of tiny, grain-sized eyes the netherspirit focuses on the rest of the group.
You're quite mistaken. The only reason you're here in Tartarus is because you've failed and those more powerful than you neither needed you nor cared what happened to you. The plane's entrapment makes it impossible for anyone to be retreived from it from the outside and once inside any potential rescuer is trapped as well and the powers that created the Cosmos have made it so prisoners in Tartarus can only escape if they grow stronger than the one whose actions put them here.
Beradax smiles wickedly, allowing this information to settle in then continues
Ofcourse, that makes Tartarus the perfect prison plane. Why? Because one is never really sent here due to the actions of another-they are only sent here because they failed. The only cause of their imprisonment is their failure-their failure to retain their power, their failure to remain in a path of "good" or "order", their failure to hide their "evil" deeds. Since ultimately it is their own actions that landed them in Tartarus, they only have to become more powerful than themselves to escape. Ofcourse, all beings are exactly as powerful as they are-they can never become more powerful than themselves. And thus no-one, no matter how powerful, has ever escaped Tartarus once imprisoned here.
The Netherspirit's expression turns predatory, the countless eyes forming her body gleaming with anticipation.
And the only reason you are in this specific room is my amusement. In Tartarus, imprisonment is unending, suffering lingers eternally. Normally, when an immortal is destroyed they return to the plane that gave them birth and reform instantly. But anyone bound to Tartarus that is slain simply disperses only to reform a century after their destruction. This makes sport all the more enjoyable. You lesser beings fight for the amusement of us greater beings. If you're slain it matters not-you'll reform eventually. And when you reform, you get punished for our amusement then are sent to fight again.
Beradax takes a step back, dismissing her wall of force
It is like those games mortals play, you know. Stones, sava, chess and countless others. Only, our versions are much more enjoyable-we use live pawns. And since pawns have different strengths, they should be... tested.

The mist that diminishes visibility abruptly thickens and you can hardly see beyond your own noses. Through the mist you can see the forms of half a dozen... things made out of clusters of eyes, tongues, entrails and other internal organs, all maggot-ridden and rotten. Despite the mist, you seem able to discern them to great detail while they don't seem able to see you yet-or they might be as stunned as you are from this abrupt change of scenery.

Greyen
2007-12-13, 01:39 PM
Sri

Sri mutters something quickly in infernal, a wave of magics washes over the group of fiends slowing time for a moment. Sri then snaps translucent black wings open and leaps into the air, or at least tries too.

Casting Haste
SR checks for everyone - Except Mara he Protective Aura won't let it in no matter what I do.
If it beats your SR you get Hasted.
[roll0] Asha
[roll1] Antx
[roll2] Kiramanthu
[roll3] Flouvouge
[roll4] Gertrude
[roll5] Mara just in case her Protective Aura is down.

Sri tries to fly straight up 90ft, or to the ceiling which ever is first. If no fly then move back 30 feet.

AC Currently: 38

Lochar
2007-12-13, 02:12 PM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu scowls at the netherspirit before gesturing, several copies of himself appearing as he moves toward the creations.

Mirror image, creating [roll0] images, the move 40' towards them.

Paladin Latham
2007-12-14, 03:57 AM
Gertrude

The nice eyeballs are giving us food! I'm starving!

And then she tries to eat one.

Initiative [roll0]

Gertrude moves to within reach of a mass and makes a touch attack followed by a grapple attempt. If she has a size advantage she'll stay outside their threat range.

Touch [roll1]
Grapple [roll2](if they are larger than medium just adjust the result)

The_Snark
2007-12-14, 04:56 AM
Mara

Mara shakes her head slowly. "It always comes back to power in the end for you, doesn't it?" she asks, sounding as if it's something she has puzzled over a long time. "I have never seen why. It is a means to an end, not an end in itself."

And with that, she steps forward lightly, the glow about her springing to life once more. Her speech continues in the celestial tongue, an old dialect—old enough that it is hard to understand, and in places, she shifts to an even older, less comprehensible dialect. After the first few words, her voice rises into song, the tune both mournful and hopeful at the same time.

And for the first time since arriving, the angel raises her head, though the fog still serves to shroud her from view...

Mara reactivates her protective aura and begins using song with the Words of Creation, giving everybody a +6 morale bonus to attacks, weapon damage, and saves against charm or fear effects.

She'll also move closer to the creatures, ideally so that any of her allies who closed with them are in range of her aura.

The Glyphstone
2007-12-14, 05:53 AM
Flouvouge

Flouvouge bubbles forward, its mass twisting and warping to produce four rubbery, tentacle-like limbs extending from its central trunk. Dull black rays shoot from two of its many eyes towards the nearest of the creatures.

Quickened Ray of Enfeeblement as a swift action, another one as my standard action. SR checks of 30 and 27. Ray attacks of 18 and 31 for penalties of 11 and 10 points to Strength.

Initiative 23.

SR Checks (1d20+12=30, 1d20+12=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1425944)
Ray Attacks (1d20+15=18, 1d20+15=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1425946)
Strength Penalty (1d6+5=11, 1d6+5=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1425947)

Initiative (1d20+4=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1425948)

Ne0
2007-12-14, 09:24 AM
It takes a while before Antx does anything - mainly because of the Imps' natural cowardice - but when he does manage to get up, he merely vanishes from sight of mortal eyes. You can hear the sound of small wings flapping quickly.

A Greater Invisibility spell, and - I assume Sri succeeded - then flies up as well. He ends 10 feet to the right or left from Sri.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-16, 01:45 PM
Asha

Slower to react than the others, the clotheless and quite humanoid demoness (though her nudity does not seem to concern her at all) simply clothes herself again in corrupt fire, her form covered from head to toe in a halo of black flame with hues of purple.
Hmph. As if a few misshapen calamari could fight true demons-well, and a silly, naive excuse of an angel too passive for her own good.

Ramos
2007-12-17, 03:50 AM
Sri attempts to enhance his companions' speed through magic but the half-glimpsed forms in the mist, if they're indeed his companions, are not clear enough and his aiming of the spell fails.

As Kiramanthu's magic projects several copies of himself to conceal his exact location, Mara sings with an angelic voice, the power of the Words of Creation enhancing the combat ability of the group-except for those immune to such things. The soft light radiating from the angel out to twenty feet forms a half-sphere of protective energy and though it nearly causes the rest of you to vomit, you feel a thin layer of abjuration coating you and serving as armor against attacks from evil.

Flouvouge glimpses a half-hidden form within the mists and shoots out two rays of disruptive magic, seeking to sap the enemy's strength. Though he can barely see well enough to discern the rays hitting, he feels both his magics shattering against the enemy's resistance to magic.

As Antx vanishes into invisibility, Gertrude snaps out with her tongue, hits one of the seething masses of tentacles and with the strength of a dragon drags it towards her mouth and is about to swallow it.

Asha cloaks herself in a halo of black flames and though she is too far to more than glimpse enemies through the fog, she realises the fight won't go well if the group can't see what everyone else is doing.

The swirling mists impeding sight beyond a few feet, it is almost impossible to track enemy moves. Asha feels a spell shattering against her as she raises her flaming shield and to her horror, Mara barely registers one of the horrors entering her line of sight before tentacles knock her off her feet and force her into the thing's toothless mouth, her song abruptly dying.

Greyen
2007-12-17, 04:27 AM
Sri

Sri swoops down into the mist twisting and rolling in his flight. A blur of darkness in the gloom. Sighting one of the creatures he fires off a pair of black rays into the thing before swooping back up into the air.

AC: 38 w/ Full Concealment

Tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity. include the -10to move at full speed.

Using Flyby Attack move 60ft at an angle to move downward to within 5 feet of enemy to assure target is a monster and not one of my own. Fly up 10 feet to be out of reach (I hope). After he fires off his shot he finishes his movement by flying straight up for the remaining 20ft. Should be 30ft in the air directly over one of the monsters.

Fire off a Split Ray Enervation - Not subject to SR
#1 To Hit [roll1] Ranged Touch
#1 Confirm Crit (if Nat 20) [roll2]
#1 Damage [rol]1d4 Negative levels

#2 To Hit Ranged Touch
#2 Confirm Crit (if Nat 20) [roll4]
#2 Damage [rol]1d4 Negative levels

I don't think these are subject to sneak attacks but, if they are and its available [roll5] Negative Energy

The Glyphstone
2007-12-17, 05:52 AM
Flouvouge

Flouvouge advances on the nearest visible foe, hammering at it with an extruded "arm" of his body, and trying to drag it closer, loosing another black ray at it in the process.

Another Quickened Ray of Enfeeblement, then move closer and attempt to slam one of the creatures. Ray fails to beat the SR for certain. Attack scores a 33 to hit - if that's sufficient to hit, 3d6+15 damage damage plus a pair of DC31 Fortitude saves (first versus Lilith poison of 2d6 Wis, second against Bone Devil poison of 1d6 Str), and a grapple check of 52. I automatically attach because of Adhesive if I hit, so they'll need to beat a DC33 Strength check before they can attempt to break free of the grapple.

SR Check (1d20+12=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1430905)
Attack (1d20+26=33) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1430903)
Grapple (1d20+43=52) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1430913)

Lochar
2007-12-17, 08:46 AM
Kiramanthu

Kiramanthu looks through the fog, true seeing active for a target. He and his images move through, before he reaches out, slicing one of them apart with his claw.

If I can find something to attack, I do so.

Claw: [roll0]
Confirm Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

If they're smaller than Huge, greater multigrab snatch, grappling them with just the claw attack: [roll4]

Ne0
2007-12-17, 09:54 AM
Antx loses sight of Sri, and unsure of what to do, he flies up even higher in an attempt to see the enemy. He's a bit trigger happy with his stings, so to make sure he doesn't panic and goes stabbing everyone within his reach, he casts some magic to counter his cowardice - a spell he has learnt from one of his mage companions after leaving him to fight two demons by himself. The imp couldn't surpress a weak smile when he remembered that.

Antx flies higher or further away, and makes a spot check - I believe that's in order here - to make something out from the mist. Afterwards, he casts Greater Heroism on himself.

[roll0]

Paladin Latham
2007-12-17, 10:35 PM
Gertrude

With all the terrible hunger of the Abyss, gertrude slowly starts to eat her prey.

Provided that they are size Large or larger they will take two turns to swallow, as per Gape of the Serpent. The first check merely confirms that they are pinned and in my mouth, the one next turn will start the crushing burning goodness.

Grapple [roll0] (before adjusting for size of course)
Subdual Grapple Damage [roll1]

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-19, 03:18 AM
Asha

Looking for another enemy within the mists, the burning demoness simply gazes at them, twin ebony rays lashing out from her eyes and striking at her adversary in an attempt to devour their life-force.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

The_Snark
2007-12-19, 03:36 AM
Mara

Mara's song ceases as a tentacle knocks the wind out of her. Then it curls about her, bringing her inwards, and for a moment she is too stunned to react at all. She is used to her wards preventing anyone from harming her in that manner, but it's more the fact that it has simply been a very long time since she actually came to blows with anything. Asha's words ring unusually true in her ears, although the demoness could not know the reasons for it.

She renews the warding magic about herself, staring up at the creature and what she can see of it from her spot on the edges of the thing's mouth.

Use Freedom of Movement* on self. Concentration, DC 24: [roll0]

Also reactivating True Seeing and Arcane Sight as free actions: [roll1], [roll2]

*Note: The outsider I took this from has this as a continuous ability... does that mean that it's re-activateable as a free action, like other continuous spell-like abilities? If so, Mara will also escape from the grapple as an attack action, and target the thing with her gaze attack twice.

Looking at it, Mara is going to try and see if she can tell anything about what it is (undead, demon, some sort of flesh golem-thing, etc.)
Knowledge (religion): [roll3]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll4]
Knowledge (history) (you never know): [roll5]

Ramos
2007-12-19, 04:35 AM
Sri's twin black rays find one of the tentacled monsters and the monster recoils from the blow. As he moves away, Sri sees another, larger monster right next to his target within the mists and quickly flies away to hide in the concealment of the fog.

Flouvouge's second attempt to sap his enemy's strength also shatters against the tentacled being's magic resistance and as his extended pseudopod hits, there's a sudden hissing sound as if it has hit fire-only a fire that can burn him despite his resistance. His adhesive slime melts away and his enemy, substantially stronger than he is, resists his attempt to grab and drag him-or rather it-closer.

Kiramanthu spots a massive tentacled enemy, twice as high as him and at least eight times as fat. Striking from behind, he finds his claws digging in the being's flesh slowly, as if finding resistance. Ofcourse, most outsiders, being spirits made flesh, are resistant to physical blows.

Antx tries to use his true seeing to pierce the fog-but to no effect. He can't see anything beyond a few feet. Either the fog is actual fog conjured by creation magics or it is a powerful illusion that resists divinations. Using his magic to enhance himself with magical courage, he tries to work up his resolve to attack more numerous and larger enemies hiding within mists he cannot see through.

With a massive gulp, Gertrude swallows the tentacled being in her mouth despite its squirming, her immense stomach barely increasing in size with such a tiny (human-sized) creature added within.

Mara finds herself in the unfortunate situation of being swallowed by her massive tentacled adversary before she can employ her magic to escape its hold. The highly acidic contents of the creature's stomach are not a danger to her-she's immune to acid-but the crushing pressure is beginning to weaken her and her magic that enables her to move freely does not allow her to escape being swallowed-only grappled.

Asha lashes back with life-draining magic on the adversary that just tried to grab and hold her with a tentacle, diminishing its life-force in addition to the burn on its tentacle from her fiery aura, the tentacled thing's blow having all but faded due to her toughness and regenerative abilities.

Gertrude feels a pinprick in her back as if a mosquito has just stung her but the feeling is fleeting, her regeneration closing the wound even as it is dealt. The annoyance makes her belch-or is it the fact that the tentacled thing she swallowed keeps squirming and refuses to be digested?

Antx feels a presence behind him-possibly one of the tentacled demons flying towards him-and before he manages to discern anything in the fog, twin black rays strike at him from the empty air and a chunck of his life-force is torn off.

Flouvouge suddenly feels a substantial part of his life-force ripped away by the tentacled demon before him, twin rays of darkness striking out not at his body but at his soul. He doesn't know wether he can survive another such blow and realises it would be a good idea to retreat and hide in the mist.

Greyen
2007-12-19, 04:53 AM
Sri

Sri pauses his attacks for a moment as he flies through the battle field, something about this battle was wrong. He mutters and gestures to himself as he flies. Magics envelop him as he maneuvers through the battle field.

Tumble (just in case I move through someone threatened square) [roll0] Moving 1/2 speed.

Activating True Seeing as free action, activating nondetection as a move action.

Rolls to figure out what is wrong in OOC

The Glyphstone
2007-12-19, 05:59 AM
Flouvouge

Burbling in frustration, Flouvouge backs off, retreating away from the creature and spreading himself across the ground, making himself as low a profile as possible.

Activate True Seeing, then retreat 30ft. away from the creatures.

Ne0
2007-12-19, 07:45 AM
"Ack!"
The imp screams as the rays hit him. Antx isn't used to battle, and enraged by his magics and the attack, he flies straight into the mist, stabbing whatever thing he can find with his stinger.

]Move into the mist, attack when he finds something. Antx remains invisible, even when he attacks.
Treat the opponent as flat-footed if he can't see Antx. I don't know what the rays did, so you'll have to adjust the result.
[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit, make 2 Fortitude saves. One for the slow (DC26; or be slowed for [roll2] rounds), and one for the poison (DC36 or [roll3] Con damage).

Lochar
2007-12-19, 08:51 AM
Kirmanthu

Kiramanthu smiles grimly as he finds purchase with his claw, now bringing his full body into the fight. This would taste nasty.

Claw 1: [roll0]
Confirm crit on 18-20, x3 damage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
Greater multigrab grapple with snatch: [roll4] to grapple with just this attack.

Claw 2: [roll5]
Confirm crit on 18-20, x3 damage: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit Damage: [roll8]
Greater multigrab grapple with snatch: [roll9] to grapple with just this attack.

Bite: [roll10]
Confirm crit on 18-20, x3 damage: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Crit Damage: [roll13]
Greater multigrab grapple with snatch: [roll14] to grapple with just this attack.

Talon 1: [roll15]
Confirm crit on 18-20, x3 damage: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Crit Damage: [roll18]

Talon 2: [roll19]
Confirm crit on 18-20, x3 damage: [roll20]
Damage: [roll21]
Crit Damage: [roll22]

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-12-19, 05:23 PM
Asha

Laughing at her adversary's retreat, Asha advances into the fog, searching for a target to steal their lifeforce. Her usually radiant eyes are utterly black with gathered dark energies...

Ready action to blast the first enemy I see.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Paladin Latham
2007-12-19, 08:20 PM
Gertrude

Curious about the little bugbite Gertrude turns around. If she sees anything she will simple try to grapple it. All the while smiling and saying good naturedly:

Oh, you will have to wait your turn plump little sausage, the last one is still tickling in my stomach so! Hoohoo!

Touch [roll0], Grapple [roll1] adjust for size as appropriate. Ah man this is bad. At least most of us have regeneration...

Oh man. Of all the times to get a nat20...

Ramos
2008-01-29, 01:33 PM
As the battle continues, things seem to be going worse for the group, telepathic messages projecting alarm, confusion and pain. Trying to make any sense of the battlefield seems impossible as the tentacled enemies seem to be everywhere while no other members of the group are visible through the fog.

The disembodied laughter that booms over the screams of rage, growls and gasps of pain and the clang of claw on scale interrupts the battle and the fog vanishes. What was until now a chaotic battlefield instantly makes sense: Antx and Flouvouge have been on the receiving end of attacks from Asha and Sri, Gertrude seems to have been attacked from several of the former prisoners and Mara finds herself within Gertrude's massive stomach. All that confusion, chaos and furious combat has been among you alone, a powerful illusion leading you all to believe you were under attack.

Beradax's laughter turns again into an admonishing, slightly amused mental voice:

As you can see-or rather not-things are rarely as they appear to be, celestial. In the past few moments, I resorted to cunning while you, all of you, resorted to strength. Preaching something you don't believe in-let alone follow yourself-is called hypocricy, I think. Therefore, inthe future, think twice before attempting to correct others.

Greyen
2008-01-29, 02:17 PM
Sri

Sri looks around at the gathered troops. Seeing the others' injuries he looks at Antx and shrugs as if to apologize for the necessary pain. He floats down to the group and waits patiently for the others.

Paladin Latham
2008-01-29, 07:05 PM
Gertrude

With notable hesitation Gertrude finally gives a massive heave and expels the angel from her stomach in a small tidal wave of black bile and blood. She almost cries at the fact that she just expelled FOOD. But the angel did sing so pretty and was nice to her. So she just sobs loudly at the torment around her.

The_Snark
2008-01-29, 10:30 PM
Mara

The figure coated in black grime and other unmentionable things picks herself up. Judging by the size, and since everyone else is accounted for, it must be Mara, although the only recognizable features are a pair of wings and the dim haze of light that usually surrounds the angel. It's impossible to tell whether she's injured, but her voice doesn't sound like it. "A dilemna," she says thoughtfully, agreeing with Beradax's words whether they were directed at her or not. "Hasty action and needless violence can cause harm. Yet inaction can be just as dangerous."

"Not a problem easily solved," the angel concludes, the black vomit beginning to fade away. "I thank you for the lesson, though, Beradax." She looks around, trying to gauge the others' injuries, and a nimbus of positive energy builds about where one of her hands most likely is, as if signaling them that they need only ask if they need healing.

Ramos
2008-02-05, 06:41 AM
The humanoid-shaped cluster of eyes that is Beradax's form appears in the middle of the group and measures each one of you in turn.

You are fools-falling for such a deception proves that at least-but you are much more capable than most other spirits of your age and standing. I can use that.

You now have a choice among three options-you can be smart and serve me, be stupid and return to your prison or be stupid and attempt to flee-in which case you'll be slain and simply reform in your prison. What do you choose?

Greyen
2008-02-05, 07:07 AM
Sri

Sri's nearly unseen form kneels, It has been my place to serve for as long as I know, you will just be another master. He rises and pulls his wings close. He stands and waits still as a statue, patience returning to him after the quick battle.

The_Snark
2008-02-07, 06:21 AM
Mara

The angel considers, her head tilted slightly. "I would be happy to serve and assist you, Beradax," she replies courteously after only a few moments, her tone sounding almost cheerful, "in any manner in which I am permitted."