PDA

View Full Version : A jiu-jitsu fanatic who plays D&D

MalachorWraith
2007-12-02, 08:45 PM
Using races without lvl adjustments, what would be the best way to shape a character who you want to make a Jiu-jitsu/mixed martial arts master. I was thinking monk base with improved grapple as well as Stone Monkey to simulate submission effects amongst other things but is there anything I can do to really put this into effect? I think I can house rule "flying kick" to be referred to as a flying knee just for ****s and giggles but to be quite clear, I want to rear naked choke Hill Giants. Any help?

Da Beast
2007-12-02, 08:50 PM
I'd say unarmed variant swordsage with grapple based feats and lots of setting sun manuvers.

PnP Fan
2007-12-02, 08:53 PM
Understand your fanatacism! (Aikido/judo practitioner myself)
I've never given it serious thought, but The Bo9S has some nifty monkish stuff for the Swordsage class that might help you. The Setting Sun path has a bunch of nasty throwing techniques (like throwing your opponent, not throwing things at your opponent), and the Stone Dragon has a few nasty "crushing" type attacks that, with some slight flavor change, could be used to your purposes.

MalachorWraith
2007-12-03, 02:09 AM
Could you say that one more time unabbreviated?

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-03, 02:15 AM
Go for the Book of Nine Swords - there's a discipline in there called Setting Sun, which lets your swordsage throw people around and generally control the battlefield.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-03, 02:23 AM
If you are a serious martial artist, I'd play a caster, to avoid the pain and suffering that the horribly unrealistic combat system will inflict on your psyche.

Barring that, Setting Sun school has some nice stuff utilizing throws and what-not.

SurlySeraph
2007-12-03, 01:47 PM
Look up the Reaping Mauler prestige class. While the flavor is more wrestler-type, it gets big bonuses to grappling and eventually gets an ability where it kills anything that it can pin for three rounds.

elliott20
2007-12-03, 01:53 PM
I personally like the ToB setting sun approach better. But also, if you drop in a couple other stone dragon maneuvers, you can pretty much fill out a decent jiujutsu ground grappler guy.

Kaelik
2007-12-03, 02:46 PM
Look up the Reaping Mauler prestige class. While the flavor is more wrestler-type, it gets big bonuses to grappling and eventually gets an ability where it kills anything that it can pin for three rounds.

Oh my God the pain. It hurts my brain everytime someone suggests this incedibly poorly designed class that sucks so much. Just ignore it. Reaping Mauler is as bad as the Complete Warrior Samurai.

Tokiko Mima
2007-12-03, 03:24 PM
Oh my God the pain. It hurts my brain everytime someone suggests this incedibly poorly designed class that sucks so much. Just ignore it. Reaping Mauler is as bad as the Complete Warrior Samurai.

:smallbiggrin:
Don't go crazy with statements like that. Reaping Mauler is a PrC, which means they might have gotten in a few levels of an effective, useful base class before they threw it all away. Unless they went Soulknife/Reaping Mauler... :smalleek:

Hyfigh
2007-12-03, 03:37 PM
Generally Reaping Mauler isn't good for a 20 level build, but lower end builds can really benefit from it if you build around grappling correctly. For this, though, it's probably not a good choice.

Kami2awa
2007-12-03, 03:40 PM
As a fellow adherent of the Gentle Way, I respectfully suggest this thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52048

Quietus
2007-12-03, 03:51 PM
I think I can house rule "flying kick" to be referred to as a flying knee just for ****s and giggles but to be quite clear, I want to rear naked choke Hill Giants. Any help?

You could do that with the flying kick, but if you pick up Power Attack, there's a feat in Complete Warrior appropriately named "Flying Kick" that gives you +1d12 damage on an unarmed charge. Not too strong in high levels without some kind of multiplier, but for a low-level build (where grappling is strongest anyway), it's fantastic.

F.L.
2007-12-03, 05:04 PM
There was at one time a wizard build for making a super-effective grappler (which is the focus of Jiu-jitsu, I believe).

http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewthread?forum=1&thread=651

Now if you feel that you have to be some kind of martial class instead, other people probably have good suggestions.