PDA

View Full Version : What class to take next? Suggestions for a Gestalt Archer?

AstralFire
2007-12-02, 10:43 PM
Draconic Kobold Fighter 8/Master of Nine 5//Unarmed Swordsage 13, using the Falling Star archery discipline that Tempest Stormwind worked on.

I won't go into the build uber-specifics, both because I've got my build hammered out to 13 pretty well and because of some of the homebrew content being used. Here are the basics:

Alignment: NG or LG. Undecided how straight-and-narrow I want to play him.

Str: 10 (+0)
Con: 18 (+4)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Int: 14 (+2)
Wis: 28 (+9)
Cha: 14 (+2)

Feats:
Special: Paladin Mount | Yes, as the Paladin Mount. My mount flies. It's a phoera, if you're curious. Tied to my swordsage levels.
Special: Mounted Combat
Special: Dragonwrought (Song) | My type is now Dragon.
Fighter 1: Mounted Archery
Kobold Fighter 1: Dodge
Kobold 1: Improved Mounted Archery
Fighter 2: Point-Blank Shot
Swordsage Variant: Improved Unarmed Strike
Kobold 3: Improved Initiative
Fighter 4: Blind-Fight
Fighter 6: Zen Archery
Kobold 6: Adaptive Style
Fighter 8: Rapid Shot
Kobold 9: Precise Shot
Kobold 12: Lance of the Fates | Part of the Homebrew discipline

Maxed-Out Skills:
Ride, Spot/Listen (one skill), Intimidate, Sense Motive, Tumble, Diplomacy, Concentration, Knowledge (Noble)

So basically, here's my question - where do I go from here? This game will be going into low epic. Keeping Swordsage on the right half's progression is a no-brainer. The question is what to do with the left half from this point on.

If I return to Fighter, then via Martial Study/Stance I can pick up a few extra Stances and, more importantly, 8th and 9th Level Maneuvers from prohibited disciplines that I dipped heavy in with Mo9. Greater Divine Surge, Strike of Righteous Vitality, and War Master's Charge are all on the list as potential candidates. I could also choose instead to start pumping up my Unarmed/Claw attacks so I'm not helpless if my bow's taken away from me.

Halfling Outrider is an option, one that I could enter right away (My DM has okayed this as an option, as mounted archery PrCs are very few). It would work excellently for pumping out my AC to insane levels, and gives me a whole bunch of riding tricks.

Wild Plains Outrider would take a feat to get in, and doesn't seem as good an option as Halfling Outrider, generally.

Deepwood Sniper requires a feat (Far Shot) to get in; considering Fallen Star Weapon Focus as longbow focus is supposed to work. I could probably shuffle Far Shot in pretty easily, and it would improve my ability to crit pretty nicely.

Warmind would require a feat shuffled in for Wild Talent; its stance-like abilities are really nice, though, and it could make a reasonable follow-up from a few more levels of Fighter. The psychic powers it offers aren't much at this late stage in the game, though.

Warchief, my final option, dovetails extremely nicely with my character concept (he's a Grand Marshal) with some huge stat boosts, a nice way to bring up my party's damage and melee to-hit; most of us are dragons (...yeah, not my favorite theme) and melee based. However, they end up taking damage as a result, and Enhancement bonuses are pretty common and tend to be overwritten.

Some sort of 'leadership' based PrC that would optimize my party's damage and tactics - similar to White Raven - would be coolest, I think, since I'm probably more than twinked out enough individually, and this new character is being rolled because I noticed my dual-Psion//Wilder was stealing the show too much. Maybe go into Warblade? Assuming Master of Nine counts at full strength, I'd be entering the class as a 10th level initiator, which is enough to get some half-decent stuff and more White Raven goodness... But then again, most White Raven stuff is hard to use with a bow in the first place, even with Lance of the Fates... It requires a lot of flanking.

AstralFire
2007-12-03, 09:38 AM
Doo-te-doo-te-dooooo...