PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Frosty
2008-09-03, 12:08 AM
Pyro Aeliat

There's only one Hobgoblin close to her newfound allies, and Pyro notches another arrow, ready to fire. Letting loose after she clears her mind, the arrow flies forth with much kinetic energy! After she fires, she attempts to hide again.

Attack roll: spending one inspiration point: [roll0]
If hit, then spend another point to add to damage: [roll1]
Hide check: [roll2]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-03, 07:59 AM
Forest: (( Crap, I forgot to change the label on #6. That one should have been "Dead or Dying", too. #2 would be the closest to Lor and Xaod. ))

Frosty
2008-09-03, 10:40 AM
(ooc) I can't see the map right now. If there is an enemy that is not dead or dying and is very clsoe to Lor or Xaod, then Pyro will shoot. Otherwise, Pyro will ready delay her initative.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-03, 05:50 PM
Forest: Planting 7, Late Afternoon
Round 1—Round 2

Pyro waits for a more clear shot.

The hobgoblins continue giving orders and spreading out, and readying javelins. However, they quiet up quickly just before the one in banded mail shouts towards Lor and Xaod, "This can't be an ambush. No one's stupid enough to attack from the lower ground! What's yer purpose?" Though mostly facing Lor and Xaod, he does take several cautious glances in Pyro's direction.

Xaod replies, "The Archpaladin Heironeous has shown me that you and your tribe will soon unlock the destruction of this land. We are here to stop it!"

Meanwhile, Lor examines the body of the hobgoblin she felled.

(( Map #10 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=10)
[hr]
Moathouse: Planting 7, Morning

Tell's kick learly winds the evil woman (( Unarmed Strike (Kick) (1d20+8=18, 1d3+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1719032/) )). Between gasps, she mutters "Ai… ain't… goin'… far… ee… 'nough…"

Frosty
2008-09-04, 03:45 AM
Pyro continues holding her shot, wanting to see what comes from the talk. She'll assert herself if the hobgoblins get closer to Xaod or Lor and are menacing them.

Another_Poet
2008-09-04, 09:56 AM
Tell

"She's going to keep casting," Tell says. "We'll have to take the hands and the teeth. Objections?"

While using one entire arm like a bar to hold her down, he reaches for his hand-axe with the other hand.

Lycar
2008-09-04, 05:56 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"None from me," Grigor grunts, "else she'll just claim we're 'going soft' on her..."

Grigor still holds his pin on the evil cleric. He wonders if he should be a bit less careful about avoiding injuring her with his armour spikes...

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-05, 08:43 AM
Round 2 (cont.)—Round 3

"Ha!" the troop leader scoffs, "We ain't that crazy! I think yer mistaken. Now, seein' as how yer in tha dis'vantaged po-sition down ther, I can be reas'nable and accept your surrender."

(( Yep, still Map #10 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=10) ))

[hr]

Grigor manages to hold Gren still and keep her from burning him any more(( Grapple Check (maintain pin) (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1720818/) )).

Gren continues to struggle. Though rather weak, she manages to worm a bit out of Grigor's grip (( Grigor:
Grapple Check (resist pin escape) (1d20+7=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1720819/); She escapes the pin, but is still grappled and doesn't have any more actions to make anything of it. )). As she regains her breath, she taunts, "I'd say, 'Do yer worst…' heh! But yer… worst ain't very good! Ha!"

Another_Poet
2008-09-05, 08:49 AM
((Shhalahr, for the sake of my own conscience I'd rather not roll each and every blow round-by round. We have enough people to hold her and enough healing wer can do it eventually. I'll take all four fingers off her left hand (hopefully in one blow), then her right hand (ditto). I'll leave the thumbs, unless that's enough to cast spells with in this world. In that case I'll take those too, which is two more blows. Then with the back of the axe I will smash her teeth a few times. *sigh*

If at any point in the process she becomes cooperative I'll stop and listen.

We'll probably need to pump healing into her each round to keep her alive for this - can someone else provide that?

*prays not to become Evil for this* ))

Tell works quickly and grimly, with no mention of his earlier distaste for torture. Either he's changed his opinion or this doesn't count as "torture" to the druid.

Skjaldbakka
2008-09-05, 06:06 PM
Megiddo will interrupt this savagery, as he has not the stomach for it. He turns away in disgust, and when he turns back, he hurls a ball of flame at the cleric.

[roll0] DC 22 Ref for half, I think there is a penalty for being pinned.

Entertainer13
2008-09-06, 09:06 PM
"I am a knight of Heironius, foul beasts! I do not surrender due to the fear of others; due to their inability to fight! I challenge you all, if you truly be warriors and not ugly, scared children. Come to me and show your worth!"

Lor moves forward as she issues the second part of Test of Mettle.

Will DC: 15

Another_Poet
2008-09-08, 08:33 AM
((Ummm... won't that hit Tell also? Or is that intentional?

[roll0] ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-08, 08:19 PM
Forest: Planting 6, Late Afternoon
Round 3

The hobgoblin leader lets out a loud and exaggerated chuckle. "Fine. We can kill ya instead."

As he says this, Xaod begins following after Lor in moving towards the hobgoblin unit.

(( Pyro's up before the hobgoblins. I think the battlefield's moving a bit. ))

(( Map #12 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=12) ))

[hr]

(( Okay, so as per his comment in the OOC thread, it looks like Grigor was bluffing on helping Tell, uh, "disarm" the woman. That'd make it difficult for her to even be harmed by Tell's axe. So, I don't think there's gonna be a chance for a fireball quite yet. Until your characters resolve this, I don't think I'm sure what's gonna happen.

Unless, for the sake of speed and avoiding the squick (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squick) of shooting the dog (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShootTheDog) you just want to say, "somehow she died and Grigor doesn't particularly trust Tell as much anymore, for some unexplained reason" or something similar, I'm also okay with that. ))

Despite the threats, the woman doesn't appear to panic, continuing to struggle at her usual pace. Still, her squirming is getting difficult for Grigor to deal with. (( Grapple (1d20+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1724667/) ))

Another_Poet
2008-09-09, 08:29 AM
Tell

As Grigor interjects a spiky plate of armour, Tell pauses with his handaxe. Doing his best to hold the as-yet-unmaimed woman, Tell looks around at the others. "It's better than killing her. But if you've got a better way then now's the time."

Another_Poet
2008-09-09, 08:33 AM
((sorry))

[roll0]

Entertainer13
2008-09-10, 01:41 PM
Well, Lor moved and I apparently didn't say anything. I had her run, that should do it, but if I misinterpreted some rules, I apologize. You can move me where you please!

Lycar
2008-09-11, 01:58 PM
Grigor

"Maybe it's just me but a clean kill is better then torture. If we can't get her to cooperate, we will have to end her. Maybe she's just stalling for time because she has allies that are going to show up here soon. We need to cover our backs."

Lycar

Frosty
2008-09-11, 11:01 PM
ooc - Can I Fire upon the hobgoblins from where I am?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-12, 08:54 AM
Forest

(( Yes, but they have cover from the trees, and most of your shots have to pass through heavy undergrowth (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#forest-undergrowth), which provides improved concealment (30% miss chance). The most viable targets are #3 and the one in banded mail (with the red border). ))

Frosty
2008-09-12, 01:58 PM
Pyro Aeliat

The elf decides to shift about 5 feet south to see if she can get a better shot. She sees the hobgoblin closest to her (#3), and attempts to pick that one off before anyone notices. Notching and clearing her mind, she fires upon the flat-footed (against her in any case) target! After she fires, she attempts to hide again.

Hide check: [roll2]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-15, 08:19 AM
Round 3—Round 4

Pyro shoots down another hobgoblin ((
Concealment (1d100=94) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1731723/) )), removing him from the fight. (( Nice shot! ))

The hobgoblin leader shouts orders to his troops in the hobgoblin language, gesturing towards Pyro's hiding spot as he does so. Two of the remaining hobgoblins advance towards Lor and Xaod while another seems to move towards Pyro. Meanwhile, the leader steps backwards. All of the hobgoblins movements place large trees between themselves and Pyro.

One of the hobgoblins (( #2 )) throws its javelin towards Lor, but it hits a nearby tree instead.

The hobgoblin leader takes something from his belt, and places it near his mouth. At this distance and with so many trees in the way it's hard to tell what happens after that, but the hobgoblin appears to undergo some sort of small transformation.

Lor and Xaod begin to close with the hobgoblins.

(( Assuming Lor still wants to close with the Leader. If she'd rather go for the one that threw the javelin at her, feel free to adjust her postion.

In any case, Lor can't run across difficult terrain, which the underbrush is. So we're scaling back to a double move. ))

(( Map #14 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=14) ))

Another_Poet
2008-09-15, 09:02 AM
ell looks at the cleric. "You're lucky we're better than you." Looking back at the others, he drags her to her feet. "Let's just put her in a cell."

Lycar
2008-09-15, 02:10 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor tries not to show it too openly, but he is somewhat relieved that his companions don't pull through with that torturing buisiness.

He pulls the evil cleric to her feet and stats to push/drag her along.

"Damn straight, let's lock her up..."

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-09-15, 09:49 PM
Lor approaches Hobgoblin #2 and swings a mighty swing.

Attack:[roll0]
"Damage:[roll1]

Entertainer13
2008-09-15, 09:51 PM
Confirm Critical:

"Damage:[roll1]

Skjaldbakka
2008-09-16, 02:30 AM
[It occurs to me that while I knew I was using energy missile when I made that post, I didn't actually do my usual thing of making a spoilered post explaining the mechanical description of what I was doing. It was energy missile.]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-16, 07:58 AM

It takes a quarter of an hour to find a working key buried under the debris, but all the same, the woman finds herself locked up. She doesn't seem to care, though. She just continues to rant, "Oh, you'll burn. The gaze of the Eye destroys all. There's no escape…" and such similar statements.

Another_Poet
2008-09-16, 08:33 AM
"Anywhere else we haven't checked down here?" Tell asks the others, doing his best to ignore her.

((Also I assume we will search the cell carefully for hidden items, weak wall sections, weak bars, etc before putting her in there: taking 20 on search: 22; and also search her for lockpicks and the like: 22.))

Frosty
2008-09-16, 01:31 PM
Pyro looks around a bit. Is there any place she can move to get a clear shot at the hobgoblin advancing on her?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-17, 08:42 AM
Forest

(( No place you can reach and fire this turn. But there is a spot that offers a more or less clear shot (still has small trees and light undergrowth in the way, though) to the gap between the tree he's currently hiding behind and the next nearest massive tree. ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-17, 09:09 PM

Tell searches the woman for hidden objects and finds nothing. Though old, the cell looks like it should hold, unless she's been holding back spells and abilities more powerful than those she's already cast.

"I think there were a couple of doors in the room with the staircase," Megiddo responds.

Frosty
2008-09-17, 09:19 PM
Forest

(( No place you can reach and fire this turn. But there is a spot that offers a more or less clear shot (still has small trees and light undergrowth in the way, though) to the gap between the tree he's currently hiding behind and the next nearest massive tree. ))

Pyro Aeliat

Pyro will move to that location then, and ready an action to shoot the moment the Hoggoblin moves from cover to get to the next cover. Rolling is exactly the same as the last attack and damage rolls, spending an Inspiration point.

Lycar
2008-09-18, 12:56 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor is quite happy to get the crazy cleric off his hands. The burns he suffered are more annoying then really hurtful, still, if he should get into a fight, they would still slow him down...

"Hrm, i just wish i knew what she's talking about with that 'gaze of THE EYE' and all that. Oh well, maybe we will find someone more cooperative to talk to."

Grigor perks up at the mention of stairs.

"Stairs you say? He, so there is more to this place then we figured so far maybe. We should be careful though, maybe whatever lurks inside knows we are here and already lies in ambush..."

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-09-18, 09:01 AM
"I'm quite sure they do," says Tell, easing some of his own burns the touch of his hands.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]
Cue Minor Wounds: 1

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-18, 09:04 AM
Round 4—Round 5

Pyro darts just behind a smaller tree and waits for one of the hobgoblins to move out of hiding. As soon as the hobgoblin's out from behind the tree, she lets the arrow fly, but it gets lost in the undergrowth ((
Attack (longbow); Damage; Concealment (1d20+14=19, 1d8+7=13, 1d100=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1735986/) )).

The hobgoblin responds by throwing its javelin at the elf, but that only hits a nearby tree.

Drawing a sword as he does so, the hobgoblin that attacked Lor earlier continues to advance, but it is obviously still wary of Pyro, being sure to take a path that puts as much cover as possible in her line of fire.

Another hobgoblin advances on Xaod.

The hobgoblin leader follows his men into the fight.

Lor confronts her opponent. Her blow bites into his neck, nearly decapitating the hobgoblin.

Xaod strikes his pursuer in the chest, causing him to fall.

(( Map #16 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=16) ))

Entertainer13
2008-09-18, 10:59 AM
Lor

Lor five foots it to the Hobby leader and swings her mighty sword!

"On your guard!"

Attack 1:[roll0]
"Damage":[roll1]

Attack 2:[roll2]
"Damage":[roll3]

Frosty
2008-09-18, 12:10 PM
ooc - roll to confirm a critical for Lor?

Entertainer13
2008-09-20, 09:43 AM
ooc - roll to confirm a critical for Lor?
((I didn't even look at my rolls.))

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Frosty
2008-09-22, 05:57 AM
Pyro Aeliat

With Hobgoblin #1 getting closer and advancing towards her, Pyro takes one last shot. Targeting the hobgoblin, the elf attempts to put the arrow through the his head before she has to resort to melee. She fires upon the evil enemy, and if the enemy is still alive, she will put away her bow while moving north one square, preparing to draw her scimitar next round. She will also focuses on her enemy, preparing to dodge his blow if he still lives.

If the enemy lives, Pyro spends one point to gain a +6 dodge bonus against hobgoblin #1 (should be the one closest to her that threw a javelin at her last round)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-22, 08:18 AM
Round 5–Round 6

Pyro shoots down the hobgoblin that is pursuing her (( Concealment (1d100=65) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1740169/) )).

Seeing his last two soldiers go down, the hobgoblin leader turns and runs.

(( Will Lor pursue? Got verbal confirmation from Entertainer13 ))

Lor and Xaod take off in pursuit.

(( Map #18 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=18) Map #19 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/hobgoblinForest.php?num=19) ))

Frosty
2008-09-22, 02:48 PM
Pyro Aeliat

If Pyro can see what is going on, then she will also begin pursuit! She will move at her quickest speed, using the RUN option directly south if possible.

Entertainer13
2008-09-22, 04:35 PM
Lor makes a final approach, and another swing.

Damage:[roll1]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-22, 09:29 PM

(( Okay, we've run out of map space, and I'm not interested in extending it, since it's not really going to change much. Xaod and Lor can easily keep pace with the hobgoblin, and after another two rounds there won't be enough undergrowth to keep Pyro from outright catching up with him, thanks her higher speed. And drawing a pursuit out will only keep us from the more important business of the Temple anyway. So let's fast forward… ))

Escape proves futile for the hobgoblin leader. His heavy armor slows him down, allowing Pyro to catch up, but before she can strike, he whips around. Dropping his greatsword, he raises his hands, exclaiming, "Alrigh'! Alrigh'! I surrender! I trust you have tha honor t'respect that!"

Xaod and Lor, trailing only slightly behind, join Pyro just in time to hear the hobgoblin give up.

(( Just for the record, Light Undergrowth is difficult terrain that costs double, so running is pretty much impossible on this map. ))

Entertainer13
2008-09-23, 08:15 PM
"We accept your surrender," Lor says, "Now tell us, who are you working for, out here, and why?"

Lor keeps her sword unsheathed and pointed in the Hobgoblin's direction.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-24, 09:09 AM

"Ha!", the leader snorts, "Why should I tell ya anything?"

Frosty
2008-09-24, 12:28 PM
Pyrp Aeliat

Pyro giggles at the Hobgoblin's resistance. In a stroke of genius, she tries to play to the Hobgoblin's possible fears. "Simple. Because we'll keep you safe if you do." Glancing at Lor quickly and then back to the Hobgoblin, she continues, "Oh no, not from us. From your superiors and commanders. What would they do to you if they found that your large squad of soldiers were so easily defeated by a small trio? Your...incompetence and your subsequent torture and then finally execution will be the stuff of hobgoblin legends and stories for GENERATIONS to come! You'll be famous!"

Giving the hobgoblin a huge smile, the elf offers, "Tell us what you know, and we'll keep you in our protectice custody."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-24, 08:11 PM

"Better an incompetent than a traitor!"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-30, 08:29 AM
Forest: Planting 7, Late Afternoon/Early Evening

"True enough," Xaod responds, "But your people may be involved in something that could harm them more than tthe three of us could. You'll be helping them more by giving us a better idea what's going on."

The hobgoblin scoffs. "What the hell're ya talkin' about?!"

"The place your tribe is staying is dangerous. It's a heart of uncontrollable destructive power."

"Ha! That place is dead. It's our home now!"

Entertainer13
2008-10-01, 02:30 PM
"Not much of a home if you're the only one left. Besides, it is in your best interest to work with us. There is a greater evil, do not doubt that."

((Maybe we should try some intimidation/diplomacy, Lor's gonna try intimidate. She crunches her knuckles and points to the defeated as she speaks))

Intimidate Check: [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-02, 08:00 AM

The prisoner's voice takes on a tone of nervousness, "So, then, uh, what exactly are ya intendin' t'do abou' this, uh greater evil…?"

[hr]
Moathouse

(( The doors Megiddo refers to are the two on the west side. The ones that the map shows littered with spears (north) and barrels (south). Those are your two choices for obviously unexplored rooms. And then, of course if you wanna give a more detailed lookaround in the rooms you've already seen… ))

Lycar
2008-10-02, 02:02 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor takes a deep breath of relief as the crazy cleric is locked up. For now.

"Whew. That ough to take care of that crazy bitch for a while. Now we should secure this level before we explore any deeper. I learned that much from crawling through dungeons before."

True to his word, Grigor doesn't mind taking point. His helmet-lamp offering sufficient illumination for the task.

Lycar

Frosty
2008-10-03, 02:03 AM
Pyro Aeliat

Pyro wishes she could help more with this portion, but she herself does not know the exact nature of the evil. She just knows that divine guidance guided her here to help out. She just stands threlooking tough.

Another_Poet
2008-10-03, 09:23 AM
Tell

Tell follows Grigor, keeping his chain ready and a close eye on his surroundings.

((Shall we try the south room first?))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-04, 01:39 AM
((did Megiddo manage to finish his usual detect alignments/magic sweep in the area during the interrogation?))

Megiddo follows after the group, after activating a wand of detect evil.

Lycar
2008-10-04, 04:58 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor looks ahead, pondering.

"Hmm. When we were exploring underground locations, we usually followed either the right-hand rule or left-hand rule. That is, hug one wall and proceed. That way you get a pretty accurate picture of a dungeon level. How about it?"

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-10-04, 11:44 PM
"Currently, we are investigating. However, my compatriot and I..." She motions towards Xaod. "are of the opinion that this evil must be discovered, rooted out and destoryed. After investigating the full power it has, we shall attempt to prevent its rising, and seek the aid of Sir Xaod's order... and entire templar of paladins."

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-05, 04:24 PM
"That seems to be an efficient method. Lead on."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-05, 05:04 PM

The hobgoblin grins nervously. "Well I don' think the Commander's gonna be too pleased 'bout that."

"Probably not," Xaod replies, "But that's the way it's going to have to be."

[hr]

(( Megiddo detects no evil auras behind either door. Does he want to scan for anything else? ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-05, 05:22 PM
(no. I'm just maintaining the detect evil while we are exploring. that lasts 10 min/charge, so it will stay up for the first 10 min of travel, or until something breaks my concentration)

Lycar
2008-10-05, 05:25 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor nods.

"Sure thing. I suppose we just start with the right-hand rule."

And so Grigor explores ahead, sticking to the right-hand wall and seeking out what they missed the first time.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-05, 09:44 PM

(( "…seeking out what they missed the first time"? So Grigor wants to double-check the areas they've already been in before checking the unexplored rooms? I think Tell was ready to check the unexplored south room.

And, in any case, "right hand wall" depends a lot on starting position and orientation. Where are you starting and which way are you facing? ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-05, 09:56 PM
((lets take the door to the north. Its been awhile since I've looked at the map. Its not really complex enough for rule of right to make any sense))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-06, 09:10 AM
Moathouse

(( Okay, so…
Tell suggested the South Door.
Megiddo suggested the North Door.
Grigor suggested checking the other rooms in greater detail.
Is this correct?

Might have to discuss this a bit. ))

Another_Poet
2008-10-06, 09:19 AM
((Sorry, south door was just an OOC suggestion. Tell is following Grigor and will take whatever door he takes.))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-06, 04:37 PM
(similar. I think Grigor has been given directional control, since Tell declared he is following him, and I declared I was following him. I think we've pretty well looked over the area though, since I've already done the 'checking for auras' thing in this area)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-06, 05:58 PM
(( Just so we're clear, I don't think you really got past checking for Evil when you encountered Gren, and I haven't taken the liberty of burning any other wand charges without your explicit say-so.

Plus, there may be more mundane things to check for…

Anyway, so it's up to Grigor. What say you, Grigor?))

Lycar
2008-10-07, 02:38 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Don't we have an OOC thread for this? As far as Grigor is concerned, they only looked for baddies to take care of before. Now it is time to turn this level upside down to look for the goodies: :smallwink:

"Let's go see what's to find here. Don't expect to find much but you never know. Always pays to take a close look at any rate. We just have to be mindful of other monsters showing up."

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-07, 08:16 AM
Moathouse

(( Well, this is about confirming a specific IC action rather than general OOC commentary or "game administration" stuff. So using OOC comments in the IC thread is probabably appropriate.

Okay, so check your current rooms before opening any more doors. Got it.

But which wall is to your right depends on which way you are facing at the time. So I guess I'm still kind of at a loss as to which rooms you want to look at first.

However at this point it doesn't matter much, beyond whether you want to sift through junk first or check out the stuff that was laid out a bit more neatly in the room you fought Gren.

So all I really need to know is how detailed you want to make this check, and we can move on. And if you want to play, "Take 20 at every possible 5-ft. square", it'll take about 10 hours if you aid one another on the checks or 3.2 hours if you split the ground evenly and make the checks separately. If you do the latter, let me know who's looking where, so I know which results to use. ))

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 09:06 AM
Tell

Tell isn't hopeful that they'll find much of use, but he's seen his share of hidden secrets during his life. He knows Megiddo won't be satisfied unless he give this place at least a thorough scouring, so he contents himself with helping the others' search efforts. He also keeps his ears open for any sign of trouble from the direction of the cleric's cell.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Entertainer13
2008-10-07, 04:24 PM
Lor

Lor turns back to the fallen hobgoblins and sighs. She speaks almost to herself.

"What do we do with them, in the meantime?

Frosty
2008-10-08, 01:44 AM
Pyro Aeliat

The elf surveys the scene. "Say, we should probably check on whether any of your men are alive huh? We could go bandage them up. It's not like we have anything personal against hobgoblins..."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-08, 09:09 AM

"Yer so kind," the prisoner responds with some derision.

Ignoring the hobgoblin's comment, Xaod tells Pyro and Lor,"I'll keep an eye on this rogue while you take care of them."

A thorough check reveals that all the hobgoblins, save one other (( #3 on the map )) have perished. The one remaining survivor is barely alive, his breathing quite shallow.

[hr]

(( Does Megiddo have a preference? ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-08, 01:44 PM
((I had forgotten this was interrupted before, so Megiddo will continue searching the area, by which I of course mean looking for auras, taking the full 3 rounds in every area with each alignment, and also with detect magic. just let me know how many charges that will run through. He will then assist with the more mundane searching, by which I mean giving someone else a +2))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-08, 07:20 PM

While Megiddo scans the area for unusual auras, Grigor and Tell take a closer look at the more mundane features of the room in which they encountered Gren.

The objects on the white blanket include an iron torch, three black fire-starting cones, a black iron scepter studded with violet gems, a lusterless black pearl, and a black metal scroll case.

Aside from these items and the, lantern, and the gnoll body, the room is pretty well swept clean. But, given the fort's role in history, there may be secrets just lying under the surface, so the two commence poring over the room.

Meanwhile, Megiddo cycles through some of his spells, only to discover a faint aura of Good emanating from behind the north unexplored door.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-08, 08:53 PM
"There is an aura behind this door," thye elf says, gesturing towards the door to the north. "It is unlikely to be hostile, but be cautious anyway."

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 08:28 AM
Tell

"No Auras on this sceptre or pearl?" Tell asks. He's idly playing with the sceptre as he speaks, swinging it back and forth a few times like a club.

He'll also take a look at the scroll case - is there a scroll inside? How do I ID the spells on it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-09, 09:08 AM

(( No Good or Evil ones anyway. Given that he specified the alignment dections first, I've been assuming Megiddo was saving detect magic for last, but he keeps on turning up possibly interesting alignment auras. ))

Tell finds several worm-ridden rolls of parchment inside the scroll case. The parchment is covered with strange scribblings in some unidentifiable language.

(( The usual channels of Spellcraft and identify will suffice if the writing is that of a spell. ))

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 09:48 AM
I'll try it...

[roll0]

Frosty
2008-10-09, 09:51 AM
Pyro asks Lor, "Guard him carefully after I stabilize him alright?" With that, she makes sure to take the Hogboglin's weapon first, and then her hands start to glow with a white light. Laying a gentle hand on the hobgoblin, she channels some positive energy. Instead of using all of oneof her use of Opportunistic Piety, she only channels 10 pts of it.

Lycar
2008-10-09, 02:24 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"What do you mean, it's probably not hostile? What kind of aura do you detect then?"

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-09, 02:50 PM
Forest: Planting 7, Early Evening

The hobgoblin immediately regains conciousness. Seeing Pyro standing over him, he lets out a scream of either rage or panic—it's hard to tell which—and begins to scramble to its feet.

[hr]
Moathouse

(( Uh, Spellcraft is trained only skill, and Tell doesn't appear to have any ranks. ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-09, 05:54 PM
"That of a pure heart, or at least on with good intentions. And we all know where that can lead." He pauses for a moment, cracking a thin lipped smile. "Hence, the caution."

"That being said, I would not be at all surpised if it turns out to be a prisoner, perhaps even a planned sacrificial victim"

Another_Poet
2008-10-10, 08:39 AM
Tell

Tell puts the papers back into the scroll case and sets them on on the floor, but keeps the mace sceptre. "Might be in a lot of pain then. Let's get it open."

He approaches the door next to Megiddo, just in case.

Lycar
2008-10-10, 09:32 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"Yes, let's. We've already wasted way too much time with that crazy witch."

Grigor too advances on the north door, ready to open it if the others signal their readyness.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-10, 09:51 PM
(signals readiness. seriously, it is taking WAYYY to much time to open a bloody door)

Lycar
2008-10-11, 05:53 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Right then..."

And Grigor goeth forth to open yon door.

Lycar

Frosty
2008-10-12, 02:30 AM
Pyro, who is next to Lor, tells Lor, "Restrain him! You'd think he wouldn't be that stupid as to try to run."

To the hobgoblin, she says, "Stop or I'll stab youwith your own weapon!"

Entertainer13
2008-10-12, 12:25 PM
Lor moves as neccessary to restrain said gobbo. To be frank, once the healing is done, Lor will likely listen to Pyro. She has no idea on how to heal people.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 03:28 PM

(( Okay, that'd probably be a grapple. ))

Lor grabs the hobgoblin, securely restraining him ((
Grapple (touch attack, grapple check) (1d20+10=19, 1d20+10=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1767899/); Pin (grapple check) (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1767903/) )). The hobgoblin struggles, screaming and shouting in his own language, but Lor holds him tight (( Resist Hobgoblin's Escape (grapple check) (1d20+10=30) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1767910/) )). Eventually, he yells out in Common, "Le' me go!"

The hobgoblin patrol leader watches the scene with a broad grin.

[hr]

The room is full of debris, mostly splintered wood and torn, black rags. There are also spear tips and other broken weapons. Much of this junk is wet, having been left to soak in the puddles that collect where water drips onto the floor from the ceiling.

There is a crate in the southwest corner in nearly serviceable condition. From behind this crate comes the sound of labored breathing.

Lycar
2008-10-13, 03:50 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor, realizing that someone, or something is hiding in this room, calls out
"Hey, anybody in here? Don't worry, the dogfaces won't bite anyone again, ever. And the witch has been locked up."

Looking back at his comrades and shrugging, he slowly advances onto the crate, the magic torch on his helmet offering ample illumination.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 04:46 PM

After Grigor's light reaches around the crate, whatever is behind it gasps. "Huh? Wha? Uh, no! No! $#^%!" A man hooded in a tattered turquoise cloak pops up from behind the crate."Stand back! Don't make me hurt you! I know what you are, and I can defend myself!" He shields his eyes from the light with his left hand, and he extends his right, but it holds no weapon.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-13, 07:32 PM
"Indeed, it is hardly difficult to determine what we are, given that we have provided ample illumination. Of course, that does beg the question of why you are afraid of a group such as ourselves. Perhaps it is that we are too heavily armed? I will gladly divest myself of my armaments, if that will put your mind at greater ease, for we mean you know harm."

With that, Megiddo will toss his longsword down in front of him.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 08:13 PM

"Too ample!" the man shouts at Megiddo, "If you're not with those yellow-robes, get that light outta my eyes, whoever you are!"

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-13, 08:17 PM
*dismisses light spell*

"Is that better?" Turning to his companions, he says "If you would step back, and give this gentleman some space, I will endeavor to speak with him."

Lycar
2008-10-14, 01:40 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor lowers the shutter on his helmet-lamp.

"Ease up there already. Who are those yellowcoats anyway?"

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-14, 07:46 AM

The man lowers his hand from his face and blinks several times as his eyes finish adjusting. "Gods, I haven't seen anything that bright in… in… uh, damn, I don't know how long I've been down here." He does not lower his right hand and sternly stares at the group. "Now, before I say anything about myself, you gotta tell me who you are, how you got down here, and what happened to those yellow-robes and their furry friends. There's bad things happening, so you can forgive me if I don't trust you readily."

Frosty
2008-10-14, 09:43 AM
Pyro Aeliat

Pyro will assist (aid another) Lor in keeping the Hoggoblin restrained. "Look, do you want to live or not? Your entire squad is gone except you and your leader. Give up and tell us what you know about the temple!"

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-15, 12:43 AM
"Well, I can not speak for all of us, but my name is Megiddo, and this is my good friend Tell. We are here investigating a temple in this area. As for these fine fellows, I have just met them today. I will let them speak for themselves."

Another_Poet
2008-10-15, 09:33 AM
Tell

Tell gives a little wave. He doesn't lower his chain, but he does back up to give the guy some breathing room.

"And we can show you your captor's bodies if that'll build trust," he adds. "Even have the ringleader locked up."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-15, 11:16 AM

The patrol leader yells something in the hobgoblin language. The other prisoner responds with a tone of surprise, but the leader cuts him off with a short, loud yell. At this, the other prisoner stops struggling but maintains an air of strict defiance.

"Look, he don' know nothin' I don' know," the leader announces in Common "If ya gotta talk t'someone, it better be me. An' I can tell ya this: Yer mistaken 'bout there being anythin' dangerous there—'sides us, that is." He grins pridefully at this. "An' I'm sure your knights got better things ta do than hassle a little camp that's jes tryin' ta make it's way in tha world."

[hr]

"Yes, I think I'd like to see that," the man replies.

He comes from behind the crate. As he steps into what little light remains, one can easily see that the man has been through some rough times. He is wearing heavy traveling clothes, but they are far filthier and worn than one could expect from normal use. The edges of his turquoise cloak are torn and tattered. He evidetnally was once in the habit of maintaining a neat black mustache and goatee, but that has clearly suffered several days of neglect. His frame is gaunt and pale, and his face is covered in several bruises and abrasions.

"My eyes have adjusted. 'Best we open up that light again."

Lycar
2008-10-15, 12:46 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor nods, "Sure thing.", and opens the shutter on the helmet torch again.

"Say, you look mighty hungry, care for a bite of food? And if you want to see the cleric witch locked up, come along. I'm Grigor by the way, nice to meet you."

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-16, 07:50 AM

"I'm famished, but I'd like to see your prisoners first. Make sure it's safe." As he exits the room, he adds, "What happened to the dragon, by the way?"

Another_Poet
2008-10-16, 08:51 AM
Tell

Tell burps.

Lycar
2008-10-16, 01:13 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"... dragon? What dragon?"

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-16, 05:16 PM
"Dead. We killed it. We killed the dragon," Megiddo says in a flat tone. He then turns and walks out of the room.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-17, 07:34 AM

"Well, there's more to that temple than meets the eye," Xaod tells the patrol leader.

"We've been there fer nearly a year. Yer wrong."

[hr]

The stranger follows Megiddo. "How can he not know about the dragon?"

Entertainer13
2008-10-17, 10:48 AM
"Merely because you have no knowledge of events does not mean they are not taking place." Lor continues to hold onto the hobgoblin as she addresses their leader.

"Sir Xaod, do you know this regions laws in regards to beings such as these? How do we best deal with them before we continue our investigation?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-18, 06:56 AM

"Ha!" the patrol leader interjects, "An' how do y'get yer knowledge of a place y'ain't even been to?"

"Hush! Xaod reprimands, "The way of the Archpaladin always leads only to truth."

He turns to Lor. "In answer to your question, Lady Lor, my order does have limited jurisdiction in these parts. We can hold him for a while longer yet."

Frosty
2008-10-18, 11:38 AM
Pyro Aeliat

Pyro sighs, annoyed at the uncooperative captives they have. "Well, we shouldn't hold them ourselves. Where can be dump them to hold them for us until we have finished investigations? Actually...I've got an idea..."

The elf whispers to her two companions, "If you give me a chane to sleep, I think I might have a way to make one of them think I'm his friend. Maybe then we can ge tmore information."

Entertainer13
2008-10-18, 12:36 PM
Lor

"Sounds like a plan. Sir Xaod, could we wait through nightfall, perhaps?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-18, 02:09 PM
"He had not yet joined us when we encountered the dragon."

Lycar
2008-10-18, 04:06 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor looks quite surprised when he hears about the dragon.

"You offed a dragon? Now that's a story I want to hear! Heh, you can tell it when we make camp. But first, let's see that the witch is still bound and locked up."

He proceeds to lead the stranger to the romm where they locked the evil cleric up in.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-19, 09:36 AM

"Yeah, we can do that," Xaod responds in a low whisper. "Only place I know to keep them, though is our camp. You should blindfold them when you get halfway back. You'll have to watch them carefully tonight. We can figure out something more secure tomorrow."

The paladin looks to the sky. "The smoke's already gone, so I don't think we'll find who started that fire. I'm going to go and take up watch at the Temple."

[hr]

(( Nice typo, Skja. ))

"Ooh, visitors already? I'm touched," Gren calls out mockingly as the group approaches.

Ignoring her, the man asks, "Alright, you've got the woman. Where are the others?"

Entertainer13
2008-10-19, 01:57 PM
Lor agrees. Let us return to camp and see Pyro's hog-tying skills!

Lycar
2008-10-19, 02:55 PM
Grigor

"What others? The dog-faces and the ghouls? Dead and dead again, respectivly."

Grigor frowns a bit. Something seems to be .. off about that guy...

Hrm.. try to Sense Motive on this one: [roll0]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-19, 06:00 PM

The man appears distressed and suspicious, but otherwise sincere to Grigor.

"No, I mean the leader. You said you had their leader captured," the man responds.

"No, sir. They jus' got li'l ol' Gren." the cleric interjects with a demented chuckle.

Eyes wide at Gren's comment, the man asks the others, "Do you honestly believe she's the only one of them down here?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-19, 09:06 PM
"If you have any relevant information, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, there is no obstruction to your safe passage from this place."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-20, 08:06 AM

"Yeah, I got plenty, obviously," the man responds with alarm, "Most pressing is that she has friends down here—at least two more yellow-robes and a bunch of gnoll brutes. Either they're further in than you've been, or they found a way past the dragon before you got here and left her behind. And near as I can tell, she's bottom of the pecking order with the yellow-robes, so you don't have any ringleader.

"In any case, I'd like that food you offered now. I don't want to be fighting an empty stomach when her friends find out you're here."

Another_Poet
2008-10-20, 09:47 AM
((@ Lycar: I thought that Grigor saw the dragon corpse when he found Meg & me holed up in the moathouse proper, and that we had already told him we'd killed it.))

Tell

"Fight? You're a warrior?" The druid seems surprised... or maybe amused.

Lycar
2008-10-20, 12:20 PM
Grigor Human cleric

And near as I can tell, she's bottom of the pecking order with the yellow-robes, so you don't have any ringleader.

Grigor nods "Ah okay. That explains why she acts like one of those little yappy dogs at the leash of their owner. She feels so tough because she prays the others will deign to rescue her. Oh well, so not sorry to disappoint you there..."

Dragon ? Uh.. maybe.. it's been too long ago for me to remember anything about a dragon. Either way, Grigor would want to hear that story, so...

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-20, 02:17 PM
"Are you in need of armaments? Or are you one of those who are skilled in unarmed combat?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-20, 09:07 PM
Forest

(( Okay, I'm assuming Pyro's okay with the arrangement as well. But I'll need to know how you lead the hobgoblins in any case. ))

[hr]

The man laughs. "No one's called me a warrior before. But I know the right spells to take care of myself, and I'm a pretty good shot with a crossbow. Even without people like these," he says, nodding towards Gren, "running around, this place is dangerous. I wouldn't come here without some protection."

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-20, 09:10 PM
"Which begs the obvious question: why are you here? And how do you know so much about these yellow robed fanatics?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-20, 09:16 PM

"I don't know much about them, really. All I know is what I've managed to glean while I was hiding in that armory.

"Look, I'm hungry, and they might come to change guards at any moment and discover us. Can I get some of that food your friend promised me so I'll be ready when that happens? And then I can talk while I eat."

Another_Poet
2008-10-20, 09:57 PM
Tell

"Ever had smoked dragon flank before? Wait, wait, I have sirloin here if you like tar tar..." Tell looks through the leaf-wrapped steaks in his pouch. "Preference?"

He makes sure the food is close enough to be in full view of Gren as well.

Frosty
2008-10-20, 11:41 PM
Pyro has a few strips of cloth to use as blindfolds, but she's not extremely with using ropes. Still, she's better than Lor...so she'll bind the hands of the hobgoblins behind their backs, and then lead them with rope!

Use rope: [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-21, 08:05 AM
Forest

(( Anything Lor wants to add before taking off? ))

[hr]

"Uh, no," the man responds, "I, uh, haven't. How about we retire to the armory for this food? I feel less exposed there right now, and I need to retrieve my crossbow anyway."

Another_Poet
2008-10-21, 08:34 AM
"Sure thing," Tell says, still holding his chain with his buckler arm. He closes his pouch and puts his other hand on the chain as well. Then he follows along.

((If the guys really does just want to eat, Tell will go with him and give him some dragon steak. He will keep his weapon out and stay by the door on watch. I'm okay with fast-forwarding this. If the guy suddenly turns on us, well then, all I can say is bring it.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-21, 09:44 PM
(( Yeah, I'm ready to "Fast Forward", too, but I don't want anyone to get unfairly pushed around.

I'll do an update with the stranger's story tomorrow. ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-22, 08:48 AM
Xaod's Cave: Planting 7, Night

Pyro and Lor arrive back at the cave a couple of hours after sunset. The hobgoblins kept quiet the entire journey back, though the leader's subbordinate kept struggling against the rope up until the point he was blindfolded. Aside from that, the group managed to arrive without incident.

[hr]

The stranger leads everyone back to the armory. After retrieving his crossbow, he sits down on the crate and begins to eat the food offered to him. Between bites, he tells the following:

"Well, first things first. My name is Spugnoir, and I make and sell all manner of potions back in the village. I settled down in Hommlet just before that last bit of trouble with the Temple up north. Since then, I've always enjoyed exploring this place. It has a fascinating history. So as to why I'm here, I just get the bug to poke around here once and a while, and I was responding to that.

"Anyway, a few days—maybe a week, I don't know. It's hard to keep track of time down here. Anyway, I was here and I heard these people coming down the stairs. Now, I know enough that you can't just trust anyone around these parts, so I took to hiding until I could find out who they were. And it didn't take long to find out they're no good. Heard them talking about destroying the village and murdering some poor soul. So I stayed hidden.

"I was waiting for a chance to escape, but then the dragon showed up. Seems it managed to kill a few of their group before they escaped down here. In the confusion, I found an opportunity to sneak upstairs in the hopes that I could get past the beast. But as you can see," at this he gestures to his bruised face, "I didn't make it.

"So I wound up hiding down here again. Managed to pick up a few things. The yellow robes don't like each other much. They always seem to be bickering. The few times they're not, they go on about some 'Elder Eye' thing—must be a wierd cult of some sort.

"I also heard them talking about digging up some chamber that I had never heard of or seen. Which is pretty amazing, by the way, since I probably know more about this place as it is now than even Elmo or Cannoness Y'dey.

"Oh, yeah, and I think they have a few friends in Hommlet.

"So, uh, that's the bulk of it."

(( I changed the color of Spugnoir's speech to something darker to make that easier to read. ))

Entertainer13
2008-10-22, 08:53 PM
I'll take first watch.

Frosty
2008-10-22, 09:03 PM
Pyro will Trance for 4 hours before taking second watch.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-23, 07:53 AM
Xaod's Cave: Planting 8, Early Morning

The first night is surprisingly quiet. At first the hobgoblins complained loudly, making it difficult for Pyro to settle into her trance. But they soon settled to just muttering to each other in their language before falling asleep themselves.

In the morning, the hobgoblins do prove their disciplined minds, as they wake without any sort of prodding just before sunrise. Immediatlely, the patrol leader asks as loud as he can, "So, I gather y'ain't the type t'starve their charges. We're hungry!"

Another_Poet
2008-10-23, 09:09 AM
Tell

"A potioner, and a moathouse guide, huh?" Tell asks. "You sound pretty useful."

((Sense motive to see if the guy believes the story he told us [I personally supect he was with the yellow-robes and betrayed them]: [roll0] ))

Entertainer13
2008-10-23, 04:25 PM
Lor throws some rations on the end of her sword to "feed" the Hobgoblins.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-23, 08:40 PM

"Not as nice as we were pretending last night, eh?" the patrol leader retorts as he reaches for the skewered food with his bound hands.

[hr]

Spugnoir's tone come across as rather matter-of-fact to Tell. Neither overly sincere nor in anyway deceptive.

Another_Poet
2008-10-24, 09:28 AM
Tell

"So are there any secret rooms, or hidden doors that you can tell us about?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-24, 11:14 AM

"Yeah, there are a couple. But one's only accessible from the outside, and that tunnel's got some nasty monsters in it, so I never go there. I can show you the other one if you like. The yellow-robes have been spending most of their time beyond it, so that's probably where the others are."

Another_Poet
2008-10-24, 12:07 PM
"Only accessible outside? Where does it lead then?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-24, 12:22 PM

"I think it used to be some sort of secret entrance or escape route. It comes out at a cave about a quarter mile into the woods. But the tunnel that leads to it and several rooms was sealed of a long time ago."

Lycar
2008-10-24, 01:31 PM
Grigor Human cleric

"Right. So what do we do about the witch then? Just leave her here?"

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-24, 04:31 PM
"We should probably kill her. Let her soul go to its final rest with whatever god she has chosen"

Frosty
2008-10-24, 07:24 PM
Pyro Aeliat

Pyro made sure that their hands were bound behind them. As such, reaching for the food should be impossible. Instead, she will re-check the ropes to make sure they're tight, and then feed them rations herself. "We're not bad people. We're just trying to prevent bad things from happening." After feeding them, she will prepare a Charm Person SLA from out of sight and then cast it on the leader. DC 17 Will Save to resist.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-27, 08:48 AM

(( In that case, they're complaining about how hard it is to sleep with hands behind their back, that it's cutting off circulation, they'd rather feed themselves, etc. But I get the feeling no one wants to be tied down in playing that out (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'll skip to the charm. ))

Pyro feels the charm take effect, and the patrol leader immediately stops complaining, instead, asking nicely, "Hey, uh, these ropes hurt. Are ya sure ya can't do anything 'bout them?"

[hr]

Spugnoir speaks up nervously. "I've, uh, never been particularly fond of, uh, unilateral executions of beings that are really otherwise at my mercy."

Another_Poet
2008-10-27, 10:51 AM
Tell

The druid shrugs. "I suppose we can leave her for now."

Lycar
2008-10-27, 10:56 AM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor seems likewise uncomfortable with the thought of executing a helpless prisoner.

"If we leave her behind, she will free herself soon enough. Oh well. Still, I too am not too fond of unneccessary killings. Life's just too short for this kind of things. Bah, enough gloom and doom for now! Hey, I could tell a nice story to lighten up the mood a bit, how about it?"

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-10-27, 11:20 AM
Tell

"We don't have to make it easy for her. There's probably rope in Spugnoir's Armoury. We can hobble her, hog-tie her, bind her to the wall, gag her and then go on our way. If she's still here later we can take her to town. If she manages to get free, ha, maybe I'll join her cult." His tone makes it clear he's kidding about this last bit.

Nonetheless he goes and checks over the room where Spugnoir was holed up - any rope? Chains?

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-27, 12:57 PM
"Somehow, I am not surprised. I personally favor prudence over mercy, but I suppose she doesn't really present a credible threat."

Entertainer13
2008-10-27, 05:34 PM
Lor watches intently, trusting Pyro's judgment.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-28, 07:45 AM

"What's prudent isn't always what's right," Spugnoir softly comments.

Tell is able to find a few small scraps of rope that are barely large enough to bind someone's hands, but they are rotted. They could be used, but they aren't trustworthy.

The only things left in the room that appear to be in perfectly serviceable condition are several polearms. A tattered black cape also catches Tell's eye because it's a similar cut to the ones the gnolls were wearing, but this one has an image of a bright yellow eye sewn into it.

Another_Poet
2008-10-28, 11:58 AM
Tell

"Not much to tie her up with. These old ropes are rotten, but they might do for a gag. We could take her clothing away and hope she's too shy to make a break for it in the buff... Hey Meg, is this magic?" Tell holds up the cloak.

((I forget if we already checked the room for magic or not.))

As he displays the cloak so that the others can see it, he pauses, and worry crosses his face. "Spugnoir, how did you get one of their cloaks?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-28, 12:05 PM

(( He's been asking for alignment checks first. Haven't done detect magic on anything yet. ))

"That's always been there. Left there by a previous inhabitant."

Another_Poet
2008-10-28, 12:16 PM
"Anything else they left here, that might be of use?" Tell asks.

Frosty
2008-10-28, 11:27 PM

(( In that case, they're complaining about how hard it is to sleep with hands behind their back, that it's cutting off circulation, they'd rather feed themselves, etc. But I get the feeling no one wants to be tied down in playing that out (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'll skip to the charm. ))

Pyro feels the charm take effect, and the patrol leader immediately stops complaining, instead, asking nicely, "Hey, uh, these ropes hurt. Are ya sure ya can't do anything 'bout them?"

Confident that for the next few hours the Hobgoblin leader will be friendly, she helps him stand up and begins undoing the ropes. "Well, we ain't cruel, so we'll untie you. If you can help us out with our investigation, I won't need to re-tie you either! So like, we'd really like to know how you and your tribe got to settle into that strange temple. How has it been for you guys. no strange deaths? nothing strange about it?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-29, 08:35 AM

The hobgoblin rubs his wrists for a moment before responding. "Well, 'couple a years ago, we had a bad run. See, we overextended ourself, and our raid bands were located too close to the tribe. Made enough enemies to threaten us, so we picked up an moved. 'Couple o' years ago, we found this place, an' figured it would be perfect for a raid band. Well fortified, safe distance from enemies, an' mos' people—you bein' one o' the 'ceptions—are afraid of it anyway. So we been usin' this as a place to support an' defend the tribe. 'Been workin' out good, too. Like I told ya, only reason people should fear the place is us." Once again, the patrol leader grins as he boasts of his band's ferocity.

[hr]

"Depends what use you have in mind. Most of the stuff around here is smashed, rusted, or rotted. I never really took a thorough inventory of the place, and I don't have use for most of the stuff that would be down here. Spugnoir pauses a moment in thought, "But the room next to the armory is an old storeroom. You might want to loook there."

Another_Poet
2008-10-29, 09:03 AM
((waiting for a detect magic from Skjald before I move to the other room))

Lycar
2008-10-29, 11:40 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Storeroom, eh? Oh well, I doubt anything in there will be less rotten. But eh, I could be wrong you know? Better check it out then..."

Grigor winks at his companions with a smile and prepares to check out the indicated room.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-29, 02:32 PM
Megiddo will continue with his methodical analysis of the area, scanning for each aura in turn, in the areas that have been cleared out.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-29, 03:30 PM

Megiddo discovers no further unexpected aligned auras. He does, however, discover the following magical auras:

In Gren's Room
Moderate divination on the iron torch
Faint evocation on each of the incense cones
Moderate evocation on the black metal sphere
Faint illusion on violet vial taken from Gren
Faint conjuration on red vial taken from Gren
Faint enchantment on ochre vial taken from Gren

Megiddo also notices that there are magical auras around Spugnoir. If he stops to examine them without first asking, Spugnoir asks "Do you really have to do that?"

Grigor finds little of use in the storeroom. It was obviously ransacked long ago. It's mostly splinters of wood, remants of containers, and scraps of leather. However, he does find several large wooden shields and some fighting leathers in surprisingly good condition buried under several smashed crates.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-29, 06:13 PM
You can use spellcraft to identify potions, right?

violet: [roll0]
red: [roll1]
ochre: [roll2]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-29, 09:42 PM
Moathouse: Planting 7

(( Yes, you can. (Almost forgot about it myself.) Has a flat DC of 25, and since you have a +16 bonus, so you should be taking 10. Since I expect Megiddo would know his abilities, I'm gonna pretend he did anyway… ))

Megiddo discovers the violet bottle contains a magical liquid other than a standard potion. He cannot quite be sure what's in it.

The ochre bottle contains a potion of aid, and the red bottle contains a potion of cure light wounds.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-29, 10:26 PM
"These potions both seem to be healing. The ochre bottle of the pre-emptive variety, and the red is of the traditional sort. I don't know what this other one is."

Another_Poet
2008-10-30, 09:33 AM
"Hey Spugnoir, we actually do mind," Tell says after a moment's thought. "I can tell you what all my magic gear does, and if you can read auras you're welcome to double check that I'm telling the truth. Likewise, we need to check you. In a place like this trust isn't as good as evidence. Meg, can you scan him?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-30, 10:09 AM

Spugnoir sighs, "Fair enough, but at the moment I can't take you up on your offer to let me check you."

Spugnoir's Gear
Faint abjuration on sheathed wand
Faint aura from inside belt pouch (need line of sight to actual object to determine school)
Faint transmutation on cloak pin
Faint abjuration on ring
Moderate transmutation on headband

Lycar
2008-10-30, 12:53 PM
Grior Human cleric

Grigor eventually returns to report his findings.

"Ach, just as I expected. Mostly mold to be found there. Although there are a few wooden shields and leather armours in serviceable condition. Bad weight to worth ratio if you ask me though."

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-30, 01:49 PM
"Hmmm.. it looks like a headband of intellect, a wand of shield, a potion or some either item in the pouch, a ring of protection, and I'm not sure what the brooch is, but it has a transmutation aura, so nothing dangerous to us. At any rate, I told you he is not a threat to us."

Lycar
2008-11-02, 09:14 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Great!" beams Grigor, "Now that we have that sortet out, we can go on cleaning this place out then. He, you wouldn't happen to know which god these ...er... 'yellowcoats' worship? "

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-11-02, 11:31 PM
Lor

"Have you seen or heard anything out of the ordinary?""

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-03, 09:16 AM

"Well, it's not part of the ordinary routine for you to come an' kill my patrol!" he snaps at Lor.

[hr]

"I can't say for sure," Spugnoir shrugs, "but they did mention something about an Elder Eye or something like that a number of times."

"The Elder Elemental Eye will burn you all with its gaze!" Gren cackles from her cell.

"Uh, probably what she just said."

Lycar
2008-11-03, 01:05 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor rolls his eyes "I suppose we're goin' to find out more about that then we care for... Be it as it may, these people are obviously up to no good, so someone needs to stop them. Heroes, great warriors... but since we're the only people around, we'll just have to do, eh lads?"

Grigor grins at his companions. Never hurts to lighten the mood a bit.

"So do you happen to know if there are any stairs down perchance?"

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-03, 01:39 PM

"Until they came, I thought this was the lowest spot around, but it sounds like that new chamber is under the floor. I think I know where it is, too. I can show you once you're ready."

"Hehehehe… You will all die… hehehehe…" Gren adds.

(( So are ya gonna do anything to better secure Gren? Or just trust that the cell will be strong enough for now? ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-03, 01:51 PM
((I think that short of removing limbs, we've nothing more we can do. I'm ready to move on. Are there any rooms left on this floor that we haven't searched yet?))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 03:04 PM
"Lead on, Spugnoir."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-03, 07:46 PM

Spugnoir leads everyone back into the room where they confronted Gren. He pushes a loose brick in the south east corner which opens a hidden latch, allowing a section of wall to slide away. Behind the wall is a staircase leading up.

"That just goes back up to the Black Chamber," Spugnoir informs the party, "I trust you've already been there."

He pulls on a bar on the wall across from the entrance, sliding that away as well. Several steps lead about half a floor downwards. Though still damp and rife with the smell of wet earth, this corridor is noticeably drier than the previous rooms.

(( Map #37 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=37)

Due to a difference in image dimensions, characters on all previous maps are about 3 squares up from where they should be. Keep that in mind if you need to check on old turns for any reason.

Also, I have removed the bodies of defeated gnolls to keep the menu easy to navigate. However, the bodies are still there. ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 09:03 PM
Megiddo will activate a wand of detect evil as the group moves down.

ooc: how many charges am I down from scanning the previous floor? I need to update that

Frosty
2008-11-04, 02:36 AM

"Well, it's not part of the ordinary routine for you to come an' kill my patrol!" he snaps at Lor.

Pyro Aeliat

Pyro whispers to Lor, "Psst, the magic I used only makes him think that *I'm* his friend. He still doesn't like you at all. Let me try something." Turning back to the Hobgoblin, she says, "We're terribly sorry about that. It's just a misunderstanding I'm sure. Look, the fact of the matter is, we'd *really* like to make sure that there's nothing like, super-duper bad or bad-ass in that temple, all hidden-like. I mean, I'm sure none of you would like to think of the *possibility* that there is something even scarier than you guys in this area...am I right? Well, let's find out together! We can make SURE to cement your tribe's GLORY as the biggest, baddest group around by clearing out and destroying any other would-be evil-doers in the temple! Whaddya say?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-04, 09:24 AM

"I'm sure now. If there was anything there, it woulda gotten to us by now. 'Sides, tha Commander wouldn' allow it. Wouldn' be secure."

[hr]
Moathouse

(( One charge of detect evil got you through finding Gren. But that was interrupted before you finished your scan, so that cost you another one.

That's two charges of evil.

One charge off the rest of the alignment wands would have completed the scan. Assuming you didn't interrupt yourself on good after finding Spugnoir and then re-scan afterwards. And, no, Spugnoir did not register at all on chaos or law. ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 10:53 AM
((I'm confused - which way is the one that goes up (the steps that curve off to the north, or the passage to the east?) and which one descends?

Tell

"Black Room?" Tell asks. "We were upstairs in the courtyard, but I didn't see anything like that. Maybe we should go there first."

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-04, 12:44 PM
OOC: I'm pretty sure the stairs down are to the west, based on the orientation of the party.

I didn't take any actions that would have prevented me from maintaining concentration on detect good.
/OOC

"We have already opened this passage. It would be prudent to continue forward. It is possible that the opening of the door was noticed."

Lycar
2008-11-04, 12:46 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor turns to answer the evil cleric, his cheerfull demeanor wavering very slightly as he does so "Yes, everybody dies, including you. Just don't forget that you are very likely to preceed us to the next world."

"Come on, let's go. She's just burning to start working on her escape."

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 12:52 PM
((Okay that's more confusing. Is the top of the map not North? L:et me rephrase, I see two stairs: one that runs to the top of the map (up to the Black Room, I presume?) and one that goes to the right-hand side (the stairs down, I presume?). Also, both stairs are beyond the first of the two secret doors Spugnoir opened.))

"I see two newly opened passages: one up, one down. I vote up first, unless the Black Room is a fancy name for where we slept last night."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-04, 01:00 PM

"If the place you rested was the big room with all the rotted black curtains off the main hall , you rested in the Black Chamber. Not a very imaginative name, really."

(( Yeah, the stairs leading at the top of the map (North) go up a full level, hence them getting cut off. And, yeah, you slept in the room with the tattered black curtains.

EDIT: Looks like I may have neglected to furnish a proper description of the Black Chamber and its torn curtains, actually. Sorry. ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 01:07 PM
Tell

The druid nods. "Down we go."

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 01:12 PM
((I moved Tel up on the map. Spot: [roll0] ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-04, 02:12 PM

(( Grigor's got the only light source right now, right? ))

Nothing catches Tell's eyes as he descends into the darkness.

Another_Poet
2008-11-04, 02:15 PM
((Grigor just said "let's go" so I assume he's moving up too. Can we apply the spot check after the light source moves up?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-04, 02:59 PM
Moathouse

(( Just checking to make sure I was following things correctly. ))

Lycar
2008-11-05, 12:47 PM
Grigor Human cleric

((Seems like we can all but close the OOC thead... Also: Nice Avatar Shhalahr :smalleek:))

Grigor goes ahead, the miner's lamp on his helmet illuminating the steps in front of him.

"Do we have to worry about traps? Probably not if these yellowcoats went here before us. Hurts less to ask then to find a trap the hard way though. "

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-11-05, 01:02 PM
((Tell now does his spotting, with the light to help.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-05, 02:02 PM

"None of the original defenses have been in any condition to be a threat for some time now" Spugnoir advises as he follows the group down the stairs. "Well, except for a trick gate I stumbled upon once, anyway, but that's no threat, really. It's possible that the yellow robes set up their own defenses but I wouldn't know about those."

(( Map #39 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=39) ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-07, 08:38 AM

(( Anything in particular holdin' you up Frosty? You did see the last Cave post, right? ))

The other hobgoblin says something to the patrol leader in their language, causing the patrol leader to snap back angrily.

"Sorry 'bout that. Don' think this one's been properly broken in yet."

[hr]

"Anyway, from what I heard, the new area is down that way," Spugnoir points down the south passage, "Is that where you want to go?"

Another_Poet
2008-11-07, 10:02 AM
In response Tell creeps down the southern corridor to the next bedn, and looks around the corner into the south room.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Frosty
2008-11-08, 02:34 AM

(( Anything in particular holdin' you up Frosty? You did see the last Cave post, right? ))

The other hobgoblin says something to the patrol leader in their language, causing the patrol leader to snap back angrily.

"Sorry 'bout that. Don' think this one's been properly broken in yet."

((I've done 10 hours of overtime this week. I've been...busy...and tired.))

Thinking fast, the elf tries to go for another angle using some form of diplomacy, Pyro offers, "Well, how about if I show that I'm like, TOUGHER and ROUGHER than your Commander? If I beat, him, maybe that means I can be the Commander for a while eh? Then I can organize something to explore the temple completely! I wouldn't kill him of course unless that's the usual custom."

((knowing about the power structure and ways of the Hobgoblins would be a Knowledge: nobility check or? Anyhow, using an Inspiration Point to make a Diplomacy roll. [roll0]))

Lycar
2008-11-08, 11:08 AM
Grigor Human cleric

"Right hand rule it is then..."

Grigor keeps behind Xell, moving slow to stay as quiet as he can, with his clanky armour and all that.

The map makes it look like some areas ahead are lit with torches? Is that correct?

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-11-09, 07:45 PM
((Dungeoneering, perhaps?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-09, 09:24 PM

(( Overtime? Fair enough.

Humanoid societal structure typicall falls under Knowledge (local). ))

The patrol leader bursts out laughing. And he continues to do so for almost a full minute before he can catch his breath, "You ain't even a hobgoblin! Let alone a tribe member! You ain't got no right to be issuin' any formal challenges."

[hr]

(( Nope. No light. It's as dark as everything else has been. Just one of the discrepancies from using a map drawn for the original Temple of Elemental Evil.

Oh, actually, for light sources, I forgot about the lantern that was in the room you fought Gren. If no one else is carrying, Spugnoir is.

Gonna assume Megiddo's following behind at this point. ))

It's hard to make anything out at this distance in the dim light. There appear to be a one or two low tables or similar furniture items near the center of the room. Other than that, it is darkness.

(( Map #41 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=41) ))

Frosty
2008-11-10, 02:06 AM
Knowledge (local) check for Hobgoblin societal structure then: Spending an Inspiration point [roll0]

Edit: Refresh my memory...did we get exp and loot from our battle?

Another_Poet
2008-11-10, 09:34 AM
Tell motions Spugnoir to bring the light up, and goes with him to the south room, guarding the potioner with his chain.

((I moved both me and Spugnoir, since we're out of combat. If that's a problem just let me know.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-10, 11:43 AM

(( Actually, I haven't listed any XP awards yet. Not enough to get excited about yet, anyway. But I can go ahead and check the totals tonight if you want. ))

Hobgoblin society is based upon strict military structures. Each tribe is organized like a small army. Every male old enough to fight is assigned to a unit within a larger band that serves the needs of the tribe. Each band within a tribe tends to have a degree of jealous pride that makes it difficult to work with those of other bands, so most missions and tasks are assigned to only one band at a time.

While there is a strong sense of "Might makes right" in hobgoblin society, they are disciplined enough to realize that "Might" is not necessarily limited to personal physical prowess. Nonetheless, it is those with physical prowess that tend to achieve their tribes' highest ranks. It takes an exceptionally crafty hobgoblin to overcome lack of combat ability in a way that leads to any significant power within a band or tribe.

The patrol leader's story about how they came to the Temple seems to indicate an affiliation with a tribe called Blood Moon, which made some trouble around Dyvers and Furyondy several years ago. They packed up and moved on after the two states formed an alliance to crack down on the tribe's raids.

<hr>

(( Go ahead, he's willing to follow. ))

The tables turn out to be rickety wooden beds with straw mattresses. There are six in total, arranged haphazardly. Each bed has a bag or satchel resting on it. The bed in the southwest corner even has an a small iron box on it.

There are two stands. One has a small unlit iron brazier, the other an unlit lantern.

(( Okay, I'm changing the map a little. I was gonna call the tables in the room the beds, but I decided they weren't "haphazard enough," and I figure you might want to know where the beds are. The brown squares on the new map represent the beds. The dark circles are the stands. The brazier is along the east wall, the lantern along the west, near the doorway. ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-10, 12:09 PM
After checking to see if anyone is hiding in the shadows of the room - [roll0] - Tell goes from one bed to the next, examining the contents of each bag and satchel, as well as searching through the straw of the mattresses and looking under the furniture for dropped or hidden items.

Take 20 on search = 22

Lycar
2008-11-10, 03:02 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor watches Tell go examine the beds.

"Right. I'll go cover the right [west] corridor."

So Grigor moves up to he corridor and peers down, sword ready.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-10, 03:20 PM
Megiddo will detect magic in the rooms with the beds.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-12, 10:21 AM
Moathous: Planting 7, Morning

(( Wow. Guess the "Go to latest new post" skipped over Lycar's last post, 'cause I was still waiting to see if he had anything for Grigor to do. ))

Tell searches the nearest satchel. There doesn't appear to be anything interesting. Mostly spare clothes and hard rations.

Meanwhile Megiddo casts his detection spell. Aside from the expected auras around Tell and Spugnoir, he notes five faint auras (two transmutation, one abjuration, one echantment, and one conjuration) coming from the bed with the box.

As Tell moves on to the next satchel, he hears something moving beyond the doorway to the west (( Tell: Spot Listen (1d20+8=12, 1d20+10=30) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808079/); Megiddo: Spot, Listen (1d20=19, 1d20=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808077/) )).

(( Map #44 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=44) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-12, 11:45 AM
Tell again raises his chain at the ready, and moves toward he doorway cautiously (if and only if we have enough light for me to see where I'm going).

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-12, 12:04 PM

(( Where Spugnoir's currently standing, the full illumination reaches to the square's five feet in front of Tell, and shadowy illumination goes all the way across to the opposite wall. If Tell wants better light, he can ask Spugnoir to follow him. ))

"What's going on?" Spugnoir asks as Tell crosses the room.

Another_Poet
2008-11-12, 12:11 PM
Tell waves for the potioner to follow him, holding ground unil he can see better.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-12, 03:20 PM
"There seems to be a number of faint magical auras coming from over there," Megiddo says, pointing them out to Tell.

OOC: Are the coming from the bed, the box, or from within the box?

Lycar
2008-11-12, 03:34 PM
(( Wow. Guess the "Go to latest new post" skipped over Lycar's last post, 'cause I was still waiting to see if he had anything for Grigor to do. ))

As Tell moves on to the next satchel, he hears something moving beyond the doorway to the west

Yeah and obviously you misread his action too. :smallconfused:

Seeing that we are examining the room, the WEST corridor Grigor means to guard is the one exiting the room we are currently searching. Because until someone shienes a line inot it and takes a look, we don't know if it is actually a corridor or an adjancent room.

So on that map, Grigor ought to be about 4 squares WEST of Tell (assuming that up is north of course).

Or in other words: If there is something in that room, Grigor might see and or hear it because of his helmet mounted lamp.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-12, 08:29 PM

(( D'oh! Yeah, my bad. Well, we'll have to back up a bit, since Grigor would be finding out what Tell heard before that even happens. ))

As Tell is rifling through the satchel and Megiddo is checking the the room for magic auras, Grigor goes ahead to scout the adjoining room.

Grigor finds the walls of the room to be scorched black, as of some strangely localized fire. In the northwest corner there he sees a very much intact bed with a straw mattress, much like those in the other room. Next to it, he sees an iron box with several objects on it. Most importantly, he also sees the blade of a large sword held out, dangerously close to his neck.

"Don't move," growls the blade's owner, a burly gnoll dressed in black leathers.

(( Initiative
Megiddo —21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808953/)
Tell — 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808952/)
Grigor — 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808951/)
Spugnoir — 7
Gnoll — 5
Even though he can't see the gnoll, Tell's likely aware something's up. Let's just apply that previous listen check to hearing the "Don't move." Megiddo can't really see what's going on from his vantage point, though. ))

(( Map #46 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=46) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-13, 10:00 AM
Hearing something, Tell is about to ask Grigor if everything's okay when it registers what exactly the voice said. Staying silent he looks at Megiddo and points toward the doorway, then looks over and sees the silhouetted blade beneath the lamp of the mining helmet. Wasting no time, he charges, attempting to keep the element of surprise.

[roll0]

((Shhalahr, I'll let you adjudicate whether or not I can charge the gnoll. I can't move Tell on the map - the brower tells me it can't be updated - but I want to move to the same square I was on in he previous map, i.e. one square SE of where Grigor is now. That is actually the closest square from which I can attack the gnoll with my reach weapon, and I do have a straight line to that square for charing. Your call.))

Disarm attempt:
((I'm assuming the gnoll can't make its AoO from my current distance))
[roll1] (+2 charge, +4 two-handed weapon, +2 spiked chain)
opposed by an attack roll from the gnoll, who gets a -4 penalty if he wields a light weapon.

Lycar
2008-11-13, 05:59 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor just intended to move up to the mouth of what he thought was a corridor, leaving the room they were in to the west. But then the light of his lamp reflected of the wall of what appeared to be a small adjancent room instead and curiousity got the better of him apparently and he took a few steps foreward for a little look-see.

And promptly got to face a sword and his gnoll for his troubles.

Grigor froze. He wasn't too concerned about the gnoll threatening him, now that he was a ware of the threat, the gnoll would not be able to take him out with just one swing. And then the fight would be on. And Grigor had allies while the dog-face was apparently alone.

No worries.

"You know, this would be a good time for you to surrender."

It was worth a shot. It might actually work after all.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-13, 11:04 PM
Seeing Tell rush off, Megiddo will draw his sword and assume a defensive position, looking about for any threats.

OOC: Total Defense

Frosty
2008-11-14, 12:11 AM

(( Overtime? Fair enough.

Humanoid societal structure typicall falls under Knowledge (local). ))

The patrol leader bursts out laughing. And he continues to do so for almost a full minute before he can catch his breath, "You ain't even a hobgoblin! Let alone a tribe member! You ain't got no right to be issuin' any formal challenges."

Pyro laughs softly along with the hobgoblin. "Well you're certainly right. I'm not a hobgoblin. BUT..." she says as she steps in front of the hobgoblin, looking him straight in the eyes, her face sporting a strange and confident smile that gives off a sense of seriousness. "...that doesn't mean I can't earn the respect of the tribe right? I'm sure there's something I can do that'll earn me and my compatriots here safe passage through the temple. If your leader doesn't want to go on this hunt, that's fine. All we ask is that you let us look around. I'm not even asking that you provide help if we're in danger."

Another_Poet
2008-11-14, 09:50 AM
"...that doesn't mean I can't earn the respect of the tribe right?"

Sure, that's easy. I mean, skin one of them alive. I'm sure setting children on fire would also do the trick. Human children, that is; hobgoblin children won't hold still long enough.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-14, 10:09 AM

"I can't even let ya in as slaves. Ya've proven too dangerous already. They'll kill ya, ya know. But if ya really wanna try, we can test it out on your friend over there, an' see if she survives." The patrol leader nods toward Lor.

[hr]
Round 1

(( Actually, you've got line of effect from the southwest corner of the square directly east of Grigor to the gnoll's square (but the attack would have cover), so this would be the most direct target for the charge path. But the bed is an obstacle for that run. And the square you expressed interest in actually goes further from the gnoll on the north-south axis, so I don't see that as being movement "directly toward" the opponent. So I think I'm gonna have to nix the charge.

So that's gonna turn Tell's action into a double move. I'll place him where you said, but that still would leave you with 10 ft. of movement (the next diagonal would count as double), if you want to refine your position. ))

Tell runs to Grigor's aid, and Megiddo prepares to defend himself.

"There's something over there!" Spugnoir exclaims, as he follows tell, unhooking his crossbow with his free hand.

The gnoll just gives a manic chuckle as he registers the approach of Grigor's allies. As Tell comes around the corner, he draws a second, smaller sword with his free hand and shouts, "You move, he dies!" As he does so, he inches close enough for Grigor to smell the stink of the gnoll's breath.

(( Yeah, Meg definitely heard that last comment from the gnoll.

Map #47 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=47) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-14, 10:44 AM
((Anyone else starting to worry this is a Gnoll Rogue5/AsssinX ?))

Tell holds up when he sees the situation.

((Don't suppose I can save that disarm roll for a later turn, eh?))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-14, 11:10 AM
(( Eh, why not? ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-14, 12:02 PM
((Sweet, consider it applied on my next turn then, to the larger of the two weapons.))

Frosty
2008-11-14, 08:38 PM
Pyro looks at Lor. "What do you mean? You have some sort of test for her?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-14, 10:50 PM

"I mean let her try to convince the Commander. Don' need t'drag you into this, since it'd jus' get ya killed anyway."

Lycar
2008-11-17, 04:14 PM
Grigor Human cleric

Grigor hears his allies come running up and tries being talky again.

"Seriously, what is it with you monster types always having a deathwish? You could just yield and we'd stick you together with that crazy cleric chick. You know, we probably ought to have offed her but after breezing through her bony bodyguards and some hapless gnolls like a wet paper bag, I just didn't have the heart."

(Haha, some warrior I am. Trying to talk a dog-face into surrendering. Eh, whatever gets the job done. Hah! What a story that would make around the fireplace... 'You know, of course I could just have cut his head off but then I thought to myself: 'Grigor' I thought, 'Grigor, that is just too easy. Try something hard. Try talking some sense into a gnoll. If you canpull that off, you can talk a Cudgeler out of his mace...')

I suppose that is either a Bluff or Diplomacy roll? D20 [roll0] +5 for Diplomacy or +8 for Bluff. GM discretion.

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-11-17, 04:59 PM
Lor smirks. "Sounds dangerous... I like it."

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-17, 05:49 PM
Megiddo will silently manifest a mind thrust at the gnoll. Even if this does not wound it, it should cause him to drop his guard for a moment.

concentration check [roll0]+?
damage [roll1]
Will save negates, DC ?

OOC: can't get to my character sheet right now, or d20srd. spending 1 pp

got to my sheet. Can't make a DC 16 off of a 3, so nothing happens, although the PP is still spent.

will do the same next round if we are still at a standstill.
concentration +9
mindthrust 1d10
DC 17 will negates

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-17, 10:05 PM

"Really?" the patrol leader raises an indredulous eyebrow.

[hr]
Round 2

Megiddo quickly moves to the hallway, and soon as he catches a glimpse of the gnoll, he tears into its mind, ripping every thought he can find (( Successful Manifestation )).

Meanwhile, Tell moves to disarm the gnoll, prompting him to stab at Grigor (( readied action )). Fourtunately, Grigor quickly move, causing the blade to graze his collar rather than cut through his throat (( 13 damage )).

Tell wraps his chain around the sword, yanking it out of the gnoll's hand.

(( Still interested in applying Diplomacy, Grigor?

New Initiative:
Megiddo —21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1808953/)
Gnoll — 16+
Spugnoir — 7
Currently Grigor's turn. ))

(( Map #48 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=48) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-17, 10:55 PM
Spoilering my action. Since I am next(PC) after Grigor, here are my planned actions:

move W-W-SW-S
ready an action to cast melf's acid arrow if the gnoll moves out of melee

unless the gnoll is in melee with me on my turn, in which case I will take a total defense action instead

Frosty
2008-11-18, 12:07 AM
Pyro plays along. "Well, Lor's tough. I'm sure your commander won't be able to kill her. The question is, will all the other hobgoblins attack her if the commander does?"

Lycar
2008-11-18, 02:43 AM
Meanwhile, Tell moves to disarm the gnoll, prompting him to stab at Grigor (( readied action )). Fourtunately, Grigor quickly move, causing the blade to graze his collar rather than cut through his throat (( 13 damage )).

Tell wraps his chain around the sword, yanking it out of the gnoll's hand.

(( Still interested in applying Diplomacy, Grigor?

(If he won't listen to Grigor, maybe he'll listen to the sword...)

Grigor curses as the gnoll's blade nicks his neck, fortunately failing to cut the jugular. Quickly bringing his sword down in front of him, he grabs the blade with his off-hand and proceeds to stab at the gnoll.

Two-handed attack at gnoll: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-18, 09:46 AM
Xaod's Cave: Planting 7, Early Morning

"She'll never reach the commander!" the patrol leader laughs, "But if ya wanna make a go, I ain't stoppin' ya."

Round 2—3

Grigor defends himself, cutting through the gnoll's leather and delivering a deep cut.

Spugnoir moves into the room. He drops the lantern, causing it to go out. But that leaves his hand free to grab something out of his belt pouch. He waves it in the air and chants a few arcane syllables. But the spell does not appear to do anything.

Megiddo also moves into the room and and prepares himself to cast just the right spell for the right situation.

"Die!!" Roaring with rage, the gnoll tears at Grigor with his shortsword (( 15 damage )).

(( Map #49 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=49) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-18, 01:30 PM
Tell

Tell flicks his chain across the gnoll's arms, seeking to remove the other weapon as well...

[roll0] (+4 two-handed weapon, +2 spiked chain)
opposed by an attack roll from the gnoll, who gets a -4 penalty for wielding a light weapon.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-18, 03:35 PM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Maintains readied action.

Lycar
2008-11-18, 05:52 PM
Grigor Human cleric

(This... is a pretty shar shortsword. :smalleek:)

Grigor hoped that he could deal the gnoll a decisive blow, but the beastman twisted away just at the right moment to prevent Grigor from hitting a vital spot.

Grigor himself isn't so lucky though. While the burns he suffered from the crazy cleric had not been too painfull, the neck wound had weakened him more then he realized. As the gnoll's other blade flicks foreward to retaliate, he can't pull back fast enough from his own lunge.

Grigor gasps as the blade finds a weak spot in his armour, pain erupting in his body. Thankfully it doesn't take so long before he blacks out from the shock and crumbles into a heap of metal on the ground.

I didn't think he'd do quite that much damage. Figured the first 13 damage contained sneak attack dice. Oh well. -6 here folks. :smalleek:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-18, 06:25 PM
Megiddo will take the opening granted by Grigor's fall to cast his spell.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] acid dmg

OOC:
I think that counts for my readied action. I can't check this at work, but I think at my level acid arrow burns for two additional rounds for 2d4 dmg.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-18, 10:15 PM
Round 3

(( Wow, I didn't realize that would drop Grigor. Of course, his current hp isn't listed on the online sheet… :smalltongue:

Megiddo: Yeah, not "moving" so much, but yeah that'd count as getting out of melee for the purposes of your readied action. And Spugnoir cast daze. ))

With Grigor's unfortunate injury providing a clear shot, Megiddo quickly casts his spell, splashing the gnoll with a bolt of acid. Still this seems to barely faze him.

Tell wraps his chain around the gnoll's other sword, yanking it out of the gnoll's hand.

"Damn!" Spugnoir exclaims in reaction to Grigor's fall. He grabs a bolt, loads it in his crossbow, and fires. But the bolt only whizzes past the gnoll's head.

(( New Initiative
Megiddo — 16++
Gnoll — 16+
Spugnoir — 7

Map #50 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=50) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-18, 10:29 PM
Megiddo will move forward and pick up the gnoll's fallen weapon.

The acid arrow will continue to burn [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-19, 08:45 AM
Round 4

(( Which of the gnoll's swords is Megiddo picking up? ))

Megiddo grabs one of the gnoll's swords.

"Gimme!" the gnoll growls as he lunges to grab his sword from Megiddo. Though the elf tries to ward the gnoll away with his own weapon, he is unable to do so, and the gnoll is once again armed. ((Attack of Opportunity (longsword) (1d20 2=11, 1d8-1=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1817346/); Resist Disarm (1d20 2=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1817348/) ))

((Map #51 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=51) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-19, 09:49 AM
Tell

Seeing that the gnoll is occupied with Megiddo, Tell grabs Grigor's frame by the shoulders and drag him out of the way, then administers a gentle touch and a whispered incantation.

((If this will provoke AoO on Grigor's body, let me know and I will revise))

((Casting Cure Minor Wounds. Grigor is stabilised and regains 1 hp.))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-19, 03:48 PM
Megiddo will step back and cast a scorching ray at the gnoll.

tohit
[roll4d6dmg

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-19, 03:50 PM
Lets see if I can get this to work this time:
[roll0]

Frosty
2008-11-20, 03:05 AM
Pyro heads over next to Xoad and whispers, "Do you think this is a good idea for Lor to try to go up to the Hobgobby leader and challenge him? They may kill her before she gets to him."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-20, 08:47 AM
Xaod's Cave

(( Uh, Xaod's been watching the Temple, remember? ))

[hr]
Moathouse

(( Dragging Grigor away should probably take at least as much effort as picking a regular object up, so that would probably have to be the start of a new move action after Tell gets near Grigor, using up his actions for the round before he can cast the spell.

The victim of a successful bull rush provokes AoOs as it gets pushed. This is kind of the same thing, but with pulling rather than pushing. Of course, the Gnoll might not want to use up his AoO(s) on someone that's already been taken out of the fight. But then, you can tell from the damage done thus far that if he does choose to do so, Grigor's gone. That's a pretty high stakes gamble.

Of course, for the purposes of stabilization, Tell can easily heal Grigor from a position that's not threatened by the gnoll.

…Of you might come up with a different option. ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-20, 11:32 AM
((Okay, I will move to him and then cast the spell, leaving him where he lies. I'll move him next turn.

And yeah, I definitely won't move to a threatened square. I was more worried about Grigor's body provoking an AoO when I pull him away, since he is in a threatened square.))

Frosty
2008-11-21, 02:49 AM
Looc - ok, change it to Pyro whispering to Lor asking her if she really thinks it's a good idea for Lor to try?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-21, 10:03 AM
Round 4 (cont.) — [i]Round 5

Tell stabilizes Grigor.

Spugnoir moves around Tell and Megiddo. Shouting a quick arcane syllable, he points at the gnoll. Four glowing blue orbs fly from his fingertip towards the gnoll. However, they are simply absorbed in a flash of red light just a fraction of a second before striking their target.

"Damn!"

Distracted by the continuing burning of the acid, the gnoll is unable to completely dodge the ray of fire and scorches the side of his face. Somehow still standing despite his injuries, the gnoll grips his sword with both hands, lets out a mighty battle roar, and puts all his strength into attacking Megiddo. Fortunately, the elf is able to nimbly dodge the blow.

(( Map #53 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=53) ))

Another_Poet
2008-11-21, 10:42 AM
((Given the new informagtion on AoOs I will abandon my plan to move Grigor. He is stable, so that's good enough for now.))

Tell steps back to draw the gnoll away from Grigor and swings his chain....

[roll0]
[roll1]

AoO if needed:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-21, 09:21 PM
Round 5 (cont.)

The gnoll dodges Tell's attack.

Spugnoir seems unable to decide the best way to proceed with the attack, as he looks on.

Lycar
2008-11-22, 01:41 AM
Grigor

Grigor, meanwhile, is still unconscious, his deep wound mercifully stopped bleeding thanks to the heroic efforts of his compatriots.

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-11-23, 12:44 AM
((anyway we could do it steathfully?))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-23, 03:26 PM
Megiddo will step back and conjure another acid arrow to fire at the gnoll.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: 5' step W, casts melf's acid arrow.

edit- was not looking at the most recent map.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-24, 08:46 AM
Round 6

The gnoll takes the full weight of the acid arrow in the chest, but he's still just barely going. He uses the last of his energy to lunge towards Megiddo, catching the elf off guard and almost impaling him (( 20 damage )) before collapsing into unconciousness.

(( Map #56 (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseDungeon.php?num=56) ))

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-24, 03:32 PM
((and burning for an additional [roll0]))

Megiddo will stagger back against the wall, leaning against it for support, seemingly still standing by sheer force of will.