PDA

View Full Version : Should I take it to 6th or 5th?

Jarchh
2007-12-03, 08:12 AM
Okay, my paladin has just reached level five, meaning that i've got all the worth while traits of the class. Now this is where I have to make a decision. If I take one more level in paladin I get a few nice things such as 1 more spell a day and such but most importantly I get to choose a Hippogriff as my paladins mount. However this slows down getting into the build which I feel will be funnest to play. So do I take a sixth level in paladin, or do I take my first level in anointed knight, and thus get closer to nicer abilities like 2 extra standard actions a day and a sentient weapon.

Is a flying mount worth another month of play before I get to the build that will be funnest? any suggestions on what I should do?

brian c
2007-12-03, 08:16 AM
Does it go to eleven? [/Spinal Tap]

If you're really looking forward to being an Anointed Knight, and you already have the pre-reqs, I would say go for that. Flying mounts are tempting though...

Jarchh
2007-12-03, 08:22 AM
Hehe yeah, theres there in lies the problem. I'm stuck between deciding whats more fun. On one hand flying mounts seem really fun (but I've never had one so I was wondering how fun it really is in play), on the other I'm the secondary front liner/ only sub-opitmised character in the party since someone had to fill the leadership spot so a little extra umff from the prestige class would add alot more fun as it would give me more to contribute.

Ganurath
2007-12-03, 08:42 AM
Flying Mounts are definitely fun... unless there's a ceiling. If you do take Paladin to level 6, I'd suggest Improved Sunder so you can get the roof out of the way and be able to fly.

StickMan
2007-12-03, 08:57 AM
Flying Mounts are definitely fun... unless there's a ceiling. If you do take Paladin to level 6, I'd suggest Improved Sunder so you can get the roof out of the way and be able to fly.

You know I don't think Improved Sunder works is going to help with ceilings all that much.:smallwink:

loopy
2007-12-03, 09:01 AM
Our DM recently gave our resident pally a Celestial Pegasus, and he is having a blast with it. So far it has saved my rogues life twice, by rushing me places when I've been poisoned/polymorphed into a critter.

That was at 5th level though, so I don't really have much to say per your situation other than to point out that flying paladins are awesome, and get more stories made up about them. :)

The Glyphstone
2007-12-03, 09:14 AM
Isn't there a feat that lets you increase your effective paladin level for purposes of your mount's abilities up to your HD, like Natural Bond is for druids?

Jarchh
2007-12-03, 05:28 PM
Isn't there a feat that lets you increase your effective paladin level for purposes of your mount's abilities up to your HD, like Natural Bond is for druids?

I sure hope so/would like there to be, that would totally kill two birds with ones stone.

AstralFire
2007-12-03, 05:31 PM

:biggrin: heh!

Craig1f
2007-12-04, 10:21 AM
Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Yakk
2007-12-04, 01:15 PM
Ask your DM if he could homebrew that feat for you. :)

Pull out the text of Natural Bond as an example, and point out that Wildshape kicks the crap out of a Paladin mount.

raygungothic
2007-12-04, 04:39 PM
Flying mount fun is rather more dependent on the attitude of your DM than the average cool power is. Might be worth talking it over with him first, seeing if he'll find it fun to run or not - if he will it'll be great and utterly worth it, if no, you'll face a lot of obstacles.

I'm usually on the DM's side of the screen, and I try to be a basically benevolent and co-operative type who is happy to help players integrate Cool Stuff to a reasonable degree, but I know my attitude to a player wanting a flying mount would vary a lot depending upon the campaign. It can be hard to prevent them from interfering with plot devices, and hard to balance their screen-time with the rest of the party, but on the other hand they can be great fun and help a high fantasy feel... if you don't know how your DM is likely to feel about this, check it out first.

nerulean
2007-12-04, 05:41 PM
If you've got a feat spare and have or can take draconic as a language, try Dragon Steed from the Draconomicon to get a Dragonnel as a steed. The feat is oddly worded, but you should be able to get away with it.

ReluctantReaper
2007-12-04, 06:00 PM
can you get a hippopatamus as a paladin mount?

Toliudar
2007-12-04, 06:09 PM
I would also definitely vote in favour of the flying mount. Unless the prestige class' powers scale enormously, a one-level wait to start into them will soon recede.