PDA

View Full Version : Port Mortis (Town and 2 Templates)

BRC
2007-12-05, 11:04 PM
This is a somewhat unique city-state I thought up that could be added onto a homebrew setting. I also have the templates for a citizen or a noble of Port Mortis, though both templates can be applied to any huminoid race, fluff wise Port Mortis is mostly inhabited by humans, I'll get a map up later.
Port Mortis
Port Mortis is a unique city, it’s wealth comes from the fact that the swamps surrounding it are the perfect place to farm the medicinal fungus Redbloom. One of the reasons that Redbloom is so rare is that in its unprocessed form it’s spores are incredibly toxic, making it almost impossible to harvest. However, Port Mortis is able to harvest it in large amounts, most of the Port Mortis Aristocracy are trained in at least basic necromancy, which they use to animate skeletons which are sent to harvest the Redbloom and take it in for processing before it is shipped out from the docks. The noble houses of Port Mortis enjoy an almost complete monopoly on the ability to harvest the Redbloom, and the practice of necromancy by any besides a noble is strictly forbidden in Port Mortis. Though they are often thought of as powerful necromancers, few of the Mortis Nobility know anything more then the animate dead spell needed to replenish their workforce, in fact, some members of the larger noble families know no necromancy at all, either because their family already controls enough skeletons that they can take the losses caused by the inevitable accidents with no need to replace them, or because other members of the family know enough to handle the families needs. Many of the citizens of Port Mortis tend to work either in the shipyards or in the mills where the Redbloom is processed before being shipped abroad. Though by that point most of the toxic pollen that floats around the fields is gone, some remains which combined with what few spores float into the city from the fields (the wind usually blows the spores away from the city) causes the population to be somewhat scrawny, though most of it’s citizens tend to know at least rudimentary first aid in order to bandage accidental wounds before any Redbloom spores get in them

Templates
Port Mortis Citizen
Port Mortis Citizen is an inherited template that can be applied to any humanoid.
Ability Scores:P Con -1, Str -1
+3 on Fort saves to overcome poison
+2 on heal checks.
LA: +0
Port Mortis Noble
Con -1, Str -1, Int +2
Port Mortis Noble is an inherited template that can be applied to any humanoid.
Port Mortis Noble’s cast necromancy spells as if they were one caster level higher.
+3 on diplomacy checks.
Skeletal Porter: Not even a member of the poorest house of Port Mortis would travel without a servant, and each one from birth is given a Skeletal Porter which follows them and obeys simple commands, usually to hold something, carry something, or deliver a written message. Though it is technically capable of combat, it tends to be laughably ineffective.
Skeletal Porter, Medium Undead
½ HD (average three)
Str 13, Dex 13, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 1
AC 13 (+1 Dex, +2 natural) Touch 11, Flat Footed 12.
Attack: claw -2 melee (1d4+1)
Full attack claw -2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach 5ft/5ft.
Saves: Fort+0, Ref+1, Will +2
Feats: Run

Note: Every Port Mortis Noble has a wooden skull which they carry with them, if their Skeletal Porter is destroyed the skull will regenerate a new one after 1d6 days, after the body is regenerated the wooden skull is removed and a new skull grows within 1d6 hours. Also, the skull can be placed on any humanoid corpse to animate it as a Skeletal Porter after 2 hours, if this is done while the skull’s owner already controls a Skeletal Porter, the current porter becomes deanimated.
LA: +2

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-05, 11:08 PM
Uneven ability score increases/decreases are very unorthodox, all templates nowadays only increase or decrease by even numbers.

BRC
2007-12-05, 11:09 PM
Uneven ability score increases/decreases are very unorthodox, all templates nowadays only increase or decrease by even numbers.
Well call me a reformist, cause I'm unorthodox
Just kidding, the entire thing is open to suggjestions though, you think I should change the -1's to -2's?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-05, 11:13 PM
Well call me a reformist, cause I'm unorthodox
Just kidding, the entire thing is open to suggjestions though, you think I should change the -1's to -2's?

Or just -2 to one of them, but that's just me.

BRC
2007-12-05, 11:15 PM
Maybe nix the strength penalties, and make the con penalties -2 since a con penalty fits with the whole Scrawny because theyve been breathing toxic spores most of their life thing a little better.

RandomFellow
2007-12-05, 11:53 PM
Maybe nix the strength penalties, and make the con penalties -2 since a con penalty fits with the whole Scrawny because theyve been breathing toxic spores most of their life thing a little better.

Ya, I'd gone with the con penalty as well if it was my homebrew.

I also think that a caster level to necromancy (a school with few heavily caster level dependent spells) + the other stuff isn't worth a +2 LA. I'd say make it +1.