PDA

View Full Version : Good comics

Finn Solomon
2007-12-07, 11:04 AM
I am sick and tired of constantly reading why one comic 'sucks' or another comic is not worth the time nor the effort. Marvel and DC would have folded ten times over, but it looks like they're still standing. So hey, let's focus on the positives. I've got some cash burning in my pocket and a lot of free time. What are some good titles floating around recently?

The Feist
2007-12-07, 11:20 AM
I'm diggin' all the Spider-Man titles right now. Marvel's Annihilation books have been pretty good, too. I love how they've been using their sci-fi heroes more lately, and how they've been bringing back old/obscure characters in them (Rocket Raccoon wins in Annihilation: Conquest!). Ultimate Spider-Man is worth your money, too.

Gundato
2007-12-07, 11:52 AM
I'll second the Annihilation Conquest stuff. As much as I like Spidey, I am sick and tired of all the "It is really deep. This is literature now guys!" and miss the old fashioned "Big bad guy, let's kick the crap out of him" comics.

Right now, Annihilation Conquest counts as traditional "Heroes versus Villains", with a few minor tweaks (ie. Nova was a villian for an issue or two, etc).

Plus, you have to love anything with a component written by Dan Abnett.

If you liked the Punisher, take a gander at the MAX imprint of The Punisher. Great stories, and it primarily just uses the MAX imprint for a more realistic Frank (rather than just guns and boobies). Nice to see Castle dealing with issues other than guys on robotic stilts and armies of midgets. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Jigsaw make an appearance...

Skyrocket
2007-12-07, 10:44 PM
Buffy Season 8
The Order
The Initiative
New X-Men
Teen Titans
Scott Pilgrim

All might good stuff IMO.

feghoot
2007-12-07, 11:18 PM
30 days of night. With the movie out, nows a good time to pick up the trade.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-08, 01:56 PM
miss the old fashioned "Big bad guy, let's kick the crap out of him" comics.

Yeah, that's why the Ultimate titles are only sufferable in trade paper backs. Otherwise there's only a fight every 6 issues.

I mean, if I had no interest in seeing people with superpowers beating each other up, I'd be reading Shoujo Manga.

I actually like those comics, I just get annoyed when I've read 30 pages and nothing has happened.

Gundato
2007-12-08, 02:27 PM
Oh, if you have any interest in Warhammer* at all (40k and FB), I suggest picking up the trade paperbacks from BOOM! Studios. Actually pretty high quality, although I still prefer the Black Library books.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-12-08, 10:16 PM
anything done by Geoff Johns. If you can find Green Lantern: Rebirth, I think that just might be the single best comic-book I ever read.

turkishproverb
2007-12-09, 02:52 AM
Lets see...

out of extrememly recent comics, or currently going, Paul Dini's Detective comics. Great stuff. Geoff John's s books right now.

At marvel, not much. Spideys in the crapper, but Annialation Conquest is readable, WWH was decent. X-Factor by peter david. Ulitimate spidey's still decent

NIGHTMARE WORLD by AARon Weisbod, if you like horror comics.

INvincible

the warhammer collections arent bad

the new DR who comic starts in the US this month.

Tales of the TMNT is good.

jojobulu
2007-12-14, 02:47 AM
Fables and Y the Last Man. But you need to start at the begining so buy the Trades.

grinner666
2007-12-18, 05:38 PM
Fables, definitely. Also Jack of Fables, Scalped and Desolation Jones. :smallbiggrin:

Irenaeus
2007-12-18, 07:35 PM
Fables and Y the Last Man. But you need to start at the begining so buy the Trades.

I second both of these.

TheEmerged
2007-12-18, 07:52 PM
Aaron Williams' PS238 (http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ps238/index.htm), the only printed comic I actually look forward to these days.

2007-12-18, 10:10 PM
For a pretty good one shot with familar characters, read "Identity Crisis" by Brad Metzler. Its got both a very deep plot, and at least one really awesome fight (Deathstroke versus some of the biggest names in the JLA).

Its also got a lot of easily recognizable superheroes in a very interesting situation that dosn't require you to know every detail of all of their existances back to the Crisis or beyond.

Dalenthas
2007-12-18, 11:30 PM
Anything written by Ed Brubaker is pretty damned good right about now. I'm also digging Iron Man (duh), and Ms. Marvel. I'll pick up other titles in Trades as they strike my fancy...

gatitcz
2007-12-19, 12:04 PM

Both very good.

For superhero titles, I'm enjoying All-Star Superman, Runaways (when they comes out), and Dynamo 5.

Dynamo 5 is probably the least well-known, so I'll talk it up a little. Image title. It starts out after the murder of Captain Dynamo, a Superman archetype (kind of looks like Earth-2 Supes, inspirational to other heroes, married to a retired reporter) with Martian Manhunter's powers (super strength, flight, shape shifting, telepathy, and vision powers). Unlike Supes, Dynamo had a big character flaw; he slept with a lot of women. A lot of women. Dozens, maybe hundreds. After his death, his wife finds a little black book, does some research, and finds he had at least five kids from five different women. As Dynamo's old city gets attacked more and more, she brings them together, exposes them to some radiation, granting each one of Captain Dynamo's powers, and then pulls a Professor X to get them to defend Dynamo's city.

It tends to act like a traditional superhero book, one or two issues where the team stops one of Captain Dynamo's old villains. The premise of the book adds in some depth, a bit of an edge, and an overall arc, but individual issues are pretty much self-contained. The team of strangers that comes together and becomes a family is standard nowadays; this is a slight variation as you have a family - albeit still strangers - who come together together to form a team. It may not sound that impressive, but I think the writing's very entertaining. YMMV, of course. The art is great. Nine issues out so far, the first seven are compiled in a $10 trade. The writer (Jay Faerber) has another comic set in the same universe; I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's any good.

Y, Fables, All-Star Supes, and Runaways have been mentioned all over this site, so I won't bother talking them up. Those five along with DMZ and Ex Machina are the comics I pick up regularly. Other than that, I do sometimes spend money on event books, mainly so I won't feel too ignorant if I decide to pick up another Marvel or DC title.

Irenaeus
2007-12-19, 12:25 PM
De cape et de crocs (1995-) by Alain Ayroles are excellent and quite weird swashbuckling adventures. I don't know if it has been translated, though, let alone what the English title might be.

Edit: Ok, I did some searching and it does not seem to be available in English. It is an excellent comic, however, and is available in French (original), German and Danish. Probably in more languages as well. I don't usually like anthropomorphic animals. The only other exception to this I can think of is Usagi Yojimbo.

loial77
2007-12-21, 12:39 PM
anything done by Geoff Johns. If you can find Green Lantern: Rebirth, I think that just might be the single best comic-book I ever read.

I never used to pay attention to who was writing a given comic title as long as I was a fan of the character. Geoff Johns is the reason I broke that habit. Everything the man writes is pure, unadulterated win. His current Booster Gold title has so far been an excellent read.

jojobulu
2007-12-24, 05:28 PM
I don't usually like anthropomorphic animals. The only other exception to this I can think of is [I]Usagi Yojimbo.

I also don't generaly read anthropomorphic comics but I agree Usagi Yojimbo is really good.

Irenaeus
2007-12-25, 11:27 AM
I also don't generaly read anthropomorphic comics but I agree Usagi Yojimbo is really good.

I find Usagi to have a very varied quality, but at it's best it's great. I was rather plesantly surprised when I read the first album, and the plot centered around the bunny rabbit cutting of the head of his fallen master and escaping with it to prevent the enemy from displaying it. Pure gold.

If you like any two of the following: Usagi, weird plots, Moliére and swashbuckling, then you will probably like De cape et de crocs as well. The artwork is excellent. Extremely few of the characters are anthropoid animals and the ones who are seem to act like humans only by force of will sometimes. When the fox Armand Raynal de Maupertuis is captured and chained, he panics and tries to free himself by gnawing his leg off "like any self-respecting fox would do".

The plots seem to get increasingly weirder, though.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-25, 01:19 PM
I recommend Runaways for anyone young/relatively vigorous. Quite of lot action, comedy, some romance, fun storylines (admittedly with the odd cavernous waily death).

For olde' readers I suggest Alan Moore's work. Still comics, with the benefits of being able to see the amazing new fantastical world, but more realistic and harsh.

Hzurr
2008-01-06, 09:21 PM
Anything written by Ed Brubaker is pretty damned good right about now. I'm also digging Iron Man (duh), and Ms. Marvel. I'll pick up other titles in Trades as they strike my fancy...

I'm a big fan of Ed. Although, his Daredevil stuff has only recently started picking up steam again (although if you don't have it, the first two daredevil TPB he did are amazing. And if you still don't have it, the dozen or so that Bendis did before that are some of the best comics I've ever read, period.)

Also, if you have a chance, Brubaker's Iron Fist stuff is really good, as is his Captain America (so I've heard, but haven't read).

Some people mentioned Y: The Last Man, and Fables. Both of those are really good, although I feel that Y started losing it after a while. But man, the first few issues are so good...

I've heard great things about Runaways, but never read it.

Also, if you've never read it, Bendis did a series called "Powers" that is pretty amazing.

Rama_Lei
2008-01-09, 11:29 PM
Outsiders is very classic "Hey, let's kick the crap out of the villain". Plus, it has a great cast, with Arsenal, Nightwing, Shift, Indigo, Starfire, Jade, and of course Grace.

Dalenthas
2008-01-09, 11:52 PM
Lets put it this way: Ed Brubaker is such a good author that if you've been keeping up with Captain America, his death didn't make you angry as much as curious as to what was going to happen next. It was still shocking, sure, but not maddening. My renewal for Iron Man just came up, and I added Captain America in while I was at it. It's that damned good.

Hawriel
2008-01-10, 12:10 AM
hmm I just read a thread like this two days ago. So I guess I'll just repeate my suggestions.

the four ultimate marvel books, Invinsable, Fables, Astro City, Daredevil, Criminal, Powers. I always injoy reading these books.

Books I read because I like the characters and for good mind numbing sitcom filler. Some times there is a good story. Robin, nightwing, Teen Titans, Mighty, initiative, new avengers. Although New avengers is above sitcom level.

comicshorse
2008-01-10, 07:03 AM
I'd second Punisher, Fables, Captain America and Iron Fist.

Also recommend Grth Ennis's ' The Boys'. Crude, violent but just damn funny if in a 'I can't believe he's doing that' kinda of a way

Ethrael
2008-02-05, 01:53 AM
Fourthing runaways, I just say that you have to try them, there just so good!:smallbiggrin:

Other than that, astonishing X-men is pretty good if you're kinda into it, but be warned, they're having loads of delays so you only get one comic per 3 months or so. Still, it's worth it.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-02-05, 01:13 PM
I guess I'm the only one who would recommend the Avengers titles right now, huh? =p

Seriously, though, give New Avengers (which they should really change to Secret Avengers, that's the team name now), Mighty Avengers and The Initiative a shot. Reading them all together, you actually do get a sense of a great interconnected story.

And come on, Ares is badass ("Woman, I shall have you.") The thought-bubbles in Mighty Avengers alone make it worth reading.

Aotrs Commander
2008-02-05, 06:35 PM
I also wave the flag of Astonishing X Men (though I fear it may have more or less reached the end of it's run (it was my impression Joss Whedon had only siogned on for 24 issues).

New Warriors is pretty cool, though I fear that I'm largely biased because it's the first title for a very long time that has Jubilee in it (and I'll read pretty much anything with my favourite ex-X-Man in it!) That said, it too does seem to be subscribing to the lots of plot, little fighting format.

There's always the Beano, of course...

What?

At least I know I can read that without being depressed by waves of emo-angst and the bad guys not winning but inflicting more mental screw-ups on the protagonists!