PDA

View Full Version : Skill Tricks

Ne0
2007-12-07, 01:53 PM
What is everyone's general opinion on Skill Tricks from the Complete Scoundrel book? I don't have the book, but they seem interesting. Although a good DM can help you to the same, it gives a nice touch on your character, especially with scoundrels - hence the name of that book, I guess :smallbiggrin:-. But are there any other mentionings of them anywhere else? And is there something wrong with them mechanically? I haven't heard a lot about them on this board. :smallconfused:

Sleet
2007-12-07, 01:54 PM
It's been a while since I looked at them, but I recall my reaction being "I'd let my players try these things anyway."

Crow
2007-12-07, 01:57 PM
They're not really all that exceptional. I'd rather keep the skill points, personally.

Ganurath
2007-12-07, 01:58 PM
I like them. Rogue spends 6+Int on skills first level, plus learn four languages. Every level after that, increase skills and learn a skill trick until you qualify for a PrC which gives you 6+Int per level.

Mr.Moron
2007-12-07, 02:03 PM
What is everyone's general opinion on Skill Tricks from the Complete Scoundrel book?

I like them, they're flavorful little additions that can be somewhat useful. They add distinct new actions at a low cost in comparison to feats, and their power level is reasonable. A skill trick isn't going to break the game or even be all that powerful;however, somebody who has one, is going to do something that stands out from somebody who doesn't.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 02:05 PM
A few are pretty awesome. Swift Concentration can really come in handy (make a concentration check as a swift action once/encounter).

Listen to This is also quite useful, when you play a stupid barbarian with a high listen score. This skill trick lets you repeat something you've overheard, with such accuracy that everyone can make checks as if they'd made the same listen check. This is great for overhearing conversations in a language you don't know, or identifying what kind of monster you heard.

The skill tricks that let you pretend to cast a different spell than you're casting, or cast a spell without anyone knowing you're casting a spell, are great for the beguiler.

There really are quite a few awesome skill tricks.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-07, 02:15 PM
I like the Skill Tricks. I like Point it Out, Acrobatic Backstab, Up the Hill, Collector of Stories and Never Outnumbered.

All in all, they are nifty.

Ne0
2007-12-07, 02:17 PM
Are there any feats or supplements on them?

Personally, I like the sound of 'Spot the weak point' the most, even though it's not the greatest. :smallbiggrin:

goat
2007-12-07, 02:17 PM
Acrobatic backstab can be useful, especially against heavily armoured opponents, but at only once per encounter it's not overly abusable.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 02:21 PM
The way skill tricks work, is the way I wish feats worked for Fighters.

Fighters should get "psuedofeats" at every level. Feats that can only be used 1/day or 1/encounter or something.

I think every fighter should have improved bullrush, improved trip, improved sunder, improved grapple, and combat reflexes, but shouldn't get to use all of them all the time.

It would add the same versatility to fighters, that magic adds to spell casters.

Skill tricks do this much better. Skill tricks allow people to perform "feats" better than feats do!

hobbitguy1420
2007-12-07, 02:52 PM
Erm... sounds like the Tome of Battle classes.

Saph
2007-12-07, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why no-one pays attention to them, since I've always thought they're a fun little addition to the game. It's probably because they're neither especially overpowered nor especially underpowered, and don't make much difference to your build's power one way or the other (2 skill points isn't much).

I'd recommend them for any character with skill points to spare. Collector of Stories is my personal favourite, and the Tumble skill tricks that allow you to stand up from prone are handy too.

- Saph

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 03:06 PM
Erm... sounds like the Tome of Battle classes.

True, except ToB makes it too complicated. There are too many weird maneuvers that don't seem very "fighter" to me.

Nowhere Girl
2007-12-07, 03:10 PM
The way skill tricks work, is the way I wish feats worked for Fighters.

Fighters should get "psuedofeats" at every level. Feats that can only be used 1/day or 1/encounter or something.

I think every fighter should have improved bullrush, improved trip, improved sunder, improved grapple, and combat reflexes, but shouldn't get to use all of them all the time.

That would just turn fighters into warblades with less impressive tricks that can only be used once per day rather than once per encounter, with the option to refresh and reuse if needed.

So really, what you're wanting is warblades.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 03:17 PM
That would just turn fighters into warblades with less impressive tricks that can only be used once per day rather than once per encounter, with the option to refresh and reuse if needed.

So really, what you're wanting is warblades.

Meh, ok, I guess I've refused to look at that book for some reason. At least one of my DMs doesn't allow it .. I think that's why I haven't looked at it.

I hear the swordsage is good. I'll have to check that book out next week.

The thing is, I don't want a sword sage. I want a barbarian with more flavor.

Ne0
2007-12-07, 03:20 PM
Are there any feats for skill tricks? Like allowing you to use them more often? Once per encounter can sometimes be a little long to wait before you can use it again... :smallannoyed:

AKA_Bait
2007-12-07, 03:23 PM
Personally, I think they are superawesome. I like when there are actual rules that someone came up with for things I've always wanted there to be rules to support. Skill tricks covered a few rule gaps in the things that sneaky characters want to do.

Nowhere Girl
2007-12-07, 03:25 PM
Meh, ok, I guess I've refused to look at that book for some reason. At least one of my DMs doesn't allow it .. I think that's why I haven't looked at it.

Ah, one of the "zomg ToB is overpowered!!1!" types, right?

Just play a Batman wizard with all the brokenness you can get your hands on in that game instead. Betcha your DM won't as worried about the "brokenness" (yeah, right) of ToB classes as he is about the brokenness of wizards after you get done with it. :smalltongue:

Yrnes
2007-12-07, 03:30 PM
Nimble Stand (or, if you've got the ranks in it, Back on Your Feet) are awesome. Stand up from prone as a free action without provoking an AoO? Yes please!

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-07, 03:32 PM
I like the concept, but the implementation was not very good. Some of the skill tricks are stuff I'd let my players do anyway, some of them are just pathetic and some of them are really neat. However, you only get to use it once per encounter, not enough at all.

AKA_Bait
2007-12-07, 03:34 PM
I like the concept, but the implementation was not very good. Some of the skill tricks are stuff I'd let my players do anyway, some of them are just pathetic and some of them are really neat. However, you only get to use it once per encounter, not enough at all.

Well, for the awesome ones some are actually really only good for once an encounter anyway. Like the one that allows you to make a perform check to hide casting a spell. The ones that have application outside of roundtime always struck me as the most useful.

zaei
2007-12-07, 03:42 PM
I'm of mixed mind about skill tricks. On the one hand, they seem like rules for the sake of rules. Why do I have to spend 2 of my skill points to be able to do something that I could probably do with a regular skill? On the other hand, some of them are pretty nifty, and allow you to do things that are normally not allowed by the rules (but again, a DM who's not playing strictly by RAW would probably let you attempt with straight skills, anyway). I probably lean towards more flexibility with simpler rules instead of a rule for every situation.

I also find that I never have enough skill points to spend on them, even when I'm pulling in 12 skillpoints per level from classes, int, and race. I might look at them more if I wasn't spending those points on things I'll probably end up using more often.

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-07, 03:47 PM
Are there any feats for skill tricks? Like allowing you to use them more often? Once per encounter can sometimes be a little long to wait before you can use it again... :smallannoyed:

There are Skill Trick feats in Complete Scoundrel:

Cool Head
Freerunner
Sure Hand
Sweet Talker

They all essentially do the same thing, just with a different catagory of skill trick. They give you two free skill tricks and increase your limit of Skill Tricks known by +1.

There are also 3 or 4 ST related Prestige Classes in the book that do various cool stuff in relation to skill tricks.

Saph
2007-12-07, 04:14 PM

Most encounters only last 3-5 rounds. Odds are that you aren't going to need to use a skill trick more than once in that short a time anyway. Collector of Stories, for instance: for the restriction to matter, you have to enter an encounter with multiple enemies, of different types, all of which you haven't seen/identified before. Not that likely to happen, and the trick's still useful even if it does.

- Saph

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 04:50 PM
Ah, one of the "zomg ToB is overpowered!!1!" types, right?

Just play a Batman wizard with all the brokenness you can get your hands on in that game instead. Betcha your DM won't as worried about the "brokenness" (yeah, right) of ToB classes as he is about the brokenness of wizards after you get done with it. :smalltongue:

Wow ... talk about hostility. Lay off the coffee/alcohol/sugar/meth/'roids.

This DM is playing a low-magic world. The magic-users are very gimped. They have a very limited selection of spells. We'll see if he's able to keep that up when we get to higher levels though.

We're only level 6 right now, and we're considered the most powerful warriors in the lands by far.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 04:51 PM
Most encounters only last 3-5 rounds. Odds are that you aren't going to need to use a skill trick more than once in that short a time anyway. Collector of Stories, for instance: for the restriction to matter, you have to enter an encounter with multiple enemies, of different types, all of which you haven't seen/identified before. Not that likely to happen, and the trick's still useful even if it does.

- Saph

The exception that comes to mind is Swift Concentration.

If I were an illusionist, I would want to use Swift Concentration every round. That way, I could start out with some crazy illusion, and then keep it going while I do other things.

Edit: I want to do a Gnome Beguiler. I can already think of 10 Skill tricks I want for him. Swift Concentration is high on the list.

Kaelik
2007-12-07, 04:54 PM
The exception that comes to mind is Swift Concentration.

If I were an illusionist, I would want to use Swift Concentration every round. That way, I could start out with some crazy illusion, and then keep it going while I do other things.

Well you could take a feat that lets you do that. Or you could cast Sonorous Hum, and the spell holds concentration for you.

Craig1f
2007-12-07, 04:56 PM
Well you could take a feat that lets you do that. Or you could cast Sonorous Hum, and the spell holds concentration for you.

I'm doing a beguiler next. I don't think they can get Sonorous Hum.

What's the feat that does this again?

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-07, 05:11 PM

- Saph

Really? In my games battles last for many rounds even at high levels because I step them up to have waves or extremely resistant opponents. I've always felt (as do my players) that quick battles were a sign of bad preparation and style by the DM. Of course, my group doesn't play with batman wizards that kill opponents in the first round because its not fun at all and the only guy we've had that kills really fast was a FB but he kept on getting tripped up with fancy tactics on the enemy's part. So at least in my games where battles take at least 10 rounds at mid to high levels, 1/encounter sucks. I have not really had too much experience with too many other DMs so I don't really know how long the "average" IRL battle.

Chronicled
2007-12-07, 05:14 PM
The thing is, I don't want a sword sage. I want a barbarian with more flavor.

Then either a Crusader or Warblade sounds like a good fit for you, depending on what you like.

Crusaders get the "pound on me all day if you like, I'm just going to use that to hit you harder" thing with their delayed damage pool and furious counterstrike. Stone Dragon maneuvers are good for the "hitting things even harder" school of thought, White Raven is good for a warchief, and Devoted Spirit is good for the barbarian that just can't seem to be brought down.

Warblades get Tiger Claw maneuvers, which work great for a dual-wielding beserker who carves things to bits. While they have a lot of Int-based abilitiees, not focusing on those doesn't really detract from the class too much; alternatively, you can be a cunning savage (similar to Conan, perhaps). White Raven again works for a warchief, Stone Dragon and Iron Heart both are good for the "one solid hit." The only one to avoid for a barbarian-flavored warblade is Diamond Mind (and, depending who you ask, Iron Heart).

What I enjoy about it is that it gives melee classes numerous more options than "I hit it/Full attack it/Bull rush it." Your barbarian will usually do more damage than any of them, but the Tome of Battle classes will be more versatile.

Hope that helps! :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2007-12-07, 05:30 PM
Really? In my games battles last for many rounds even at high levels because I step them up to have waves or extremely resistant opponents. I've always felt (as do my players) that quick battles were a sign of bad preparation and style by the DM. Of course, my group doesn't play with batman wizards that kill opponents in the first round because its not fun at all and the only guy we've had that kills really fast was a FB but he kept on getting tripped up with fancy tactics on the enemy's part. So at least in my games where battles take at least 10 rounds at mid to high levels, 1/encounter sucks. I have not really had too much experience with too many other DMs so I don't really know how long the "average" IRL battle.
...I'd have to agree with Saph's encounter time, and I'm the only person in my group who would even be capable of creating batman wizards or optimized characters. If an encounter lasts over 6 rounds, it's usually a bad sign for us.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-07, 05:51 PM
What is everyone's general opinion on Skill Tricks from the Complete Scoundrel book?

I consider them a clunky mechanic; such things should either be feats (because rule-technically that's what feats do) or they should be things that every character with sufficient skill can do automatically (like taking 5 ranks in Wilderness Lore gives you direction sense for free).

Kaelik
2007-12-07, 05:58 PM
I'm doing a beguiler next. I don't think they can get Sonorous Hum.

What's the feat that does this again?

Extraordinary concentration, Probably Complete Arcane, hard to remember.

But no, Sonorous Hum is Evocation school (Though it is Bard/Cleric/Wizard) so you can't use advanced learning to get it. (One more reason to argue that Beguilers make poor Illusionists. Don't get me wrong, good Beguilers, bad Illusionists.)

Riffington
2007-12-07, 05:58 PM
It's a good idea. The trouble is this:
About a third are things that you should be able to do with just the skill.
About a third are things that should pretty much take a feat.
And then about a third are things that actually make sense as skill tricks.

Leicontis
2007-12-07, 06:19 PM
As far as the OP, I like the idea of skill tricks, in that they allow rogues and other skill-heavy characters to be able to do some of the fun tricks they've always wanted to do. Adding the mechanic also gives DM's a template if they want to homebrew more such tricks. Implementation-wise, I'm still kinda neutral, but the idea is certainly nice.

As for combat duration - in my games (and those of my friends) we double HP and don't use Batman, specifically because we want battles to last longer (we like to have tactics play more of a role in battle), so even at higher levels, encouters would often last well over 10 rounds. In non-PbP with experienced players, combat goes pretty quickly and smoothly, so longer fights don't get boring.

Saph
2007-12-07, 06:38 PM
Really? In my games battles last for many rounds even at high levels because I step them up to have waves or extremely resistant opponents. I've always felt (as do my players) that quick battles were a sign of bad preparation and style by the DM.

Interesting.

Well, nothing wrong with longer battles (I like running them once every other session or so), but unless you specifically arrange for them, I think they're going to be the exception. If you look at the standard SRD monsters and an ordinary batch of PCs, you'll usually find that both can damage each other significantly in one round's worth of actions. So if both sides are attacking at full power, there's a natural cap on how long the battle can last. After a few rounds of it, one side's going to be dead or incapacitated.

The exceptions are when:

a) the two sides can't reach each other easily
b) one side is using hit-and-run tactics instead of attacking all-out
c) there's a constant stream of new enemies flowing in to replace dead ones
d) one of the two sides has a very good defence but a bad offence.

The last is fairly uncommon in my experience, since most monsters and PCs are tilted towards attack.

Anyway, even in long battles, skill tricks aren't useless, as many of them only apply in quite specific situations which aren't likely to come up more than once a session.

- Saph

Yami
2007-12-07, 07:06 PM
Ah yes, skill tricks. ^_^

Imagine your enemies suprise as you charge round a corner in the dungeon, or charging an archer across rough terrain.

Great tricks for all the pounce-barians, though the once and encounter part saddens me, it's still worth the 2 points.

Dhavaer
2007-12-07, 07:17 PM
I like skill tricks, and think they should be expanded to include other skill-related abilities that aren't powerful enough the warrant spending a feat, like Agile Acrobat, Brachiation, and Combat Intuition.

UserClone
2007-12-07, 07:29 PM
...Sonorous Hum is Evocation school ... so you can't use advanced learning to get it...
Well, if it is Evocation, couldn't you use it by casting shadow evocation?

Kaelik
2007-12-07, 07:52 PM
Well, if it is Evocation, couldn't you use it by casting shadow evocation?

Why yes you could. Excellent catch there. There you go, Beguilers can Sonorous Hum, though I don't know how to deal with the X% real aspect of a Shadow Sonorous Hum.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-07, 07:54 PM
Why yes you could. Excellent catch there. There you go, Beguilers can Sonorous Hum, though I don't know how to deal with the X% real aspect of a Shadow Sonorous Hum.

Percent chance of it successfully functioning?

Kaelik
2007-12-07, 08:08 PM
Percent chance of it successfully functioning?

Yes, but I mean that such a low chance would probably be very annoying. If you have to cast several Sonorous Hums before it works then you spend the first five rounds of combat throwing out that powerful illusion, and then you can do two things at once. Hardly worth it when you could have just been doing things for that whole time period.

UserClone
2007-12-07, 08:24 PM
No, you could automatically fail the save to recognize the illusion, thereby ignoring the % failure chance.