PDA

View Full Version : Brains over Brawn clarification?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-07, 06:50 PM
I'm playing a Factotum in a current campaign, and I recently got into a discussion with the DM. On our first battle, A Wizard cast a Web, and I added my INT to the Reflex save, as I think a save is basically a DEX check with modifiers. Then, on the next battle, I was struck by the idea that Initiative is a DEX check, and asked if I could do that (The DM is a pretty reasonable guy). He said no, as he had said for the Reflex save, and has told me that if I can bring him any errata, he'll consider allowing me to apply Brains to such things. Is there any official clarification on the matter?

Dhavaer
2007-12-07, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around completely; a Reflex save is not a Dex check, but an Initiative check is.

Reel On, Love
2007-12-07, 07:14 PM
Yeah, exactly. Reflex saves aren't Dexterity checks, they're saving throws. Factotums get a separate ability--Cunning Insight--that lets'em spend an Inspiration Point to add their INT to a saving throw.

Initiative, on the other hand, is a dexterity check: "At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check."

It doesn't GET any clearer than that. What more does your DM want?!

SMDVogrin
2007-12-07, 07:16 PM
Right, a Reflex save is _not_ a Dex check, anymore than a Ranged Attack roll is.

But, Initiative is a dex check. From the SRD:
"At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check."

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-07, 07:19 PM
This should solve the issue. Thanks, people.