PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a forgotten realms book

Jinura
2007-12-08, 05:21 PM
I am almost done reading "Once around the realms" wich i found to be pretty good. Could anyone recommend a good book set in the forgotten realms for me? If you get a cookie

Otto-Sieve
2007-12-08, 05:48 PM
Twilight Falling.

Somebloke
2007-12-08, 05:51 PM
You may consider me heartless but to be honest I found them dull at around age 18+.

This may just be me, or the particular author I read (I think it was part of the Drizzit series).

Attilargh
2007-12-08, 06:05 PM
Elaine Cunningham's books aren't bad. I like the Starlight and Shadows series, myself for the mostly interesting characters. Starlight and Shadows aren't quite as good, but Elaith and Danilo are undeniably cool. (Even though Elaith was originally created by Ed Greenwood.)

Also, the Time of Troubles series by various authors was fairly informative, even though it wasn't exactly the paragon of fantasy literature.

Also, something by R.A. Salvatore that has Jarlaxe in it. Just because he's such a magnificent bastard.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-08, 07:10 PM
Heirs of Ash.

...what?

Jinura
2007-12-09, 04:55 AM
Is there Drizzt series overrated?

thorgrim29
2007-12-09, 08:40 AM
Overrated? Yes, Bad? Definately not. There actually very good books, just not exactly worth the hype.Oh and I recommand Cormyr: A novel, and the Clerics Quintet.

Catskin
2007-12-09, 08:52 AM
Overrated? Yes, Bad? Definately not. There actually very good books, just not exactly worth the hype.Oh and I recommand Cormyr: A novel, and the Clerics Quintet.

I whole-heartedly second the recommendation of Cormyr: A novel. I'm reading the Spellfire storyline (5 bks total, I think) right now and I think it's great.

The Legend of Drizzt series vary a lot in my opinion. The Dark Elf Trilogy is really quite awful, again IMO. Um, like some of the worst fantasy I've ever read. Chronologically it comes first in the series, so it's an obvious place to start, which is unfortunate. The Icewind Dale Trilogy is, by comparison, a masterpiece. It's still not my favorite FR series, but it's good.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-09, 12:19 PM
The Drizzt books are overrated in that the wrong character is favoured. Drizzt, himself, is vastly overrated. Bruenor, Wulfgar (who is frighteningly similar to my uncle, for whatever record there is on such a subject), Regis, Entreri, and Jarlaxle are all more interesting, especially the latter two. Obould Many-Arrows is a brilliantly innovative take on an Orc, not to mention a Stone Badass.
Drizzt, as a character, has too much anti-hero in his blood to have room for much character development, but not enough to be a bad character. He's not poorly written, he's just clearly not going much of anywhere. All those around him still are. The Dark Elf Triology, I agree with PoofBunny, is not very good, precisely because of this.

Premsyl
2007-12-09, 01:00 PM
What I'm looking for is author-intended-chronology. In other words, what order would R.A. Salvatore likely read the books in. I finished the Icewind Dale trilogy a while back, and have been loathe to pick up any more books without knowing which one to read. I once read a Dragonlance book out of order and it messed me up for weeks.

RTGoodman
2007-12-09, 01:05 PM
I won't say the Drizz't books are terrible, but I don't think they're as good as some people said they were. The Icewind Dale trilogy is probably the best that I've read.

The Avatar Series, in my opinion, was pretty bad. The story is cool, but the writing never really got me into series. I think I stopped about 50 pages into Book 2.

The best FR series is the Cleric Quintet, by Salvatore. I haven't read the whole thing, but I like the characters (especially Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder, the dwarf brothers) and it's not as "dark" as the Drizz't books.

VetMichael
2007-12-09, 01:17 PM
My initial response is to say: NONE

But, if you're bound and determined, I would say: the original Spellfire

I would point you far, far, far away from anything Salvatore has done because I feel that his books are trite, redundant, and Clichéd.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-09, 02:26 PM
As the Drizzt novels are the only FR books I've actually read, I guess I can comment on those:

The first two chronologically are the Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn) and the Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling's Gem). These were also the first two published, only in the opposite order.

After that, who cares? The rest of the series sucks, or at least is extremely repetitive. The only saving grace comes in the Entreri/Jarlaxle Day in the Limelight team-up (Servant of the Shard, I think) which spun off into its own series that may or may not be worth reading. That one half a book with Wulfgar as a drunken, broken-down ressurectee may also be worth reading, but sadly also has the rest of the party in it, and requires reading at least four other crappy novels to know how they got to that point.

Premsyl
2007-12-09, 02:58 PM
I'm a fast reader, and I have a strong stomach for bull****. Hell, I read 11 Wheel of Time novels before I got tired of them.

Ranna
2007-12-09, 03:12 PM
i liked them, but maybe im naive i didnt know what dnd was till i read those books so i guess i really am naive