PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Needed!

Leicontis
2007-12-09, 01:55 AM
Something I plan to add in at least my next campaign (and probably all following D&D campaigns) is a location known as The Forge, where smithy is taken to levels unmatched elsewhere. I want people to be able to get weapons/armor/shields (and possibly tools?) here with nonmagical benefits that don't disappear when the item is enchanted. My plan is to try and generate a menu of options for players to choose from (and a cost for each). I've got a few ideas so far:

Increased Hardness (weapon, shield): The hardness of the item is increased by 1. This increase stacks with that provided by magical enhancement.

Increased Hit Points (weapon, shield): The hit points of the item are increased by 1. This increase stacks with that provided by magical enhancement.

Supernatural Edge (weapon): The weapon's cutting/piercing/striking surface is so finely honed that the weapon can overcome damage reduction as a magic weapon.

Increased Fortitude (weapon, armor, shield): The item (not the user) gains a +1 enhancement bonus to Fortitude saves.

Lightweight (weapon, armor, shield): The item weighs 10% less than normal.

Improved Grip (weapon): Because the grip is well-made and well-designed, the wielder gains a +1 enhancement bonus to checks to resist being disarmed.

I don't have prices for these yet, and I want to be able to give my players a broad menu. Please, if you have any ideas for more menu options and/or prices for existing options, I could use some ideas. Comments on what I've got here are, of course, also welcome.

ETA: I had some thoughts for potential prices - maybe 50GP for Increased Hardness, 25GP for Increased Hit Points, 500GP for Supernatural Edge.

Yami
2007-12-09, 02:36 AM
Well, a quick check on the bonus from making items magical show us that every +1 is worth two hardness and ten hp for your arm or armour, so you should probably price it so that 10 HP and 2 hardness are the same cost.

For lightwieght you might just want to use mithral instead, as that's really all that's good for. We wouldn't want to make an entire metal obsolete would we?

Not sure what else to add, but this seem a neat idea. are there going to be any hard caps on how masterwork one can get something forged?

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-09, 03:35 AM
Have you checked out my Mundane Item Enhancement system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64755)? It was originally designed for low-magic campaigns, but it can work in normal games as well though it might be a bit powerful. I do allow the multiple levels of masterwork in my normal games though.

Leicontis
2007-12-09, 10:49 AM
For lightwieght you might just want to use mithral instead, as that's really all that's good for. We wouldn't want to make an entire metal obsolete would we?

Not sure what else to add, but this seem a neat idea. are there going to be any hard caps on how masterwork one can get something forged?
Mithral is good for more than weight reduction in armor and shields, and even in weapons it gives a 50% reduction in the weight of any metal item. I wanted the Lightweight property to be a cheaper version.

I'm not sure about caps - I might put a cap on total GP of improvements, or say that certain properties are mutually exclusive.

Lord Tartarus, your system looks interesting, but it wasn't really the feel I was going for. This is in a high-magic environment (Forgotten Realms), and I'm looking more for things that don't replace/overlap magical enhancement.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-09, 12:28 PM
Lord Tartarus, your system looks interesting, but it wasn't really the feel I was going for. This is in a high-magic environment (Forgotten Realms), and I'm looking more for things that don't replace/overlap magical enhancement.

Understandable, I just through it out there to see if anything gave you ideas. Though looking over the OP again, do you happen to have access to DR358? If you do check out Master Crafting on page 38 it seems to be exactly what you are looking for and was a partial inspiration for my system. It seems pretty balanced and if you want you could probably come up with a formula to stack the same effect multiple times (up to a limit of course).

Leicontis
2007-12-09, 01:28 PM
I do not currently have access to anything from Dungeon or Dragon magazines, unfortunately. Dragon, especially, occasionally seems to have interesting things in it. Luckily, I may be able to access the content of interest...