PDA

View Full Version : Campaign idea

brian c
2007-12-09, 05:26 AM
I've had my creative mind stirred recently by a couple of GITP Homebrew ideas.

Enter the Hero (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3605621#post3605621) by Skjaldbakka, and Mundane Item Enhancement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64755) by Lord Tatarus.

I was struck by the simplicity and low-magic coolness of both of these ideas, so I immediately wanted to run a game with them. The next couple posts are the introduction to the campaign I hope to run sometime over my winter break (or at least start it then). The setting is medieval non-fantasy. It's low-magic to the point of being almost realistic. The only magic that does exist is very minor, but comparatively powerful, and most spellcasters keep their abilities well-guarded secrets. Keeping with the "realism" theme, the inhabitants of the world are only Humans, Animals and Vermin (note that the Plant type is only for magical creatures; regular garden-variety are classified as objects). As such, it's a little pointless for Humans to get a bonus feat at first level; I'm getting rid of that, but if anyone else likes my ideas feel free to change that or anything else.

brian c
2007-12-09, 05:28 AM
The PCs are young adult villagers, born and raised in the small town of Springshire. Springshire is inhabited mostly by farmers and lies along a minor trade route. The PCs have had typical lives for medieval farmers; working the fields is hard work, but the soil is fertile and crops in recent years have been bountiful, so there is time for leisure. As children, they heard the standard tales of heroes slaying dragons and saving damsels in distress; these ideals of valor and courage left impressions on young minds, and they spent many a sunny afternoon playing make-believe out in the fields, that they were famous knights swordfighting, or superhuman mages casting spells. Now as grown-ups, the PCs likely still live with their family farmhouses. They may have expressed interest in joining the local militia.

At some point in their lives, they have been befriended by Alcon, an elderly man resident of Springshire. Alcon only moved to Springshire about 20 years ago upon his retirement. Alcon has revealed very little about his past, but it is known that he is very well off, and that he had previously worked in the capital city of Sylad; local gossip suggests he may have held an important role in government. Currently, Alcon collects herbs and tends to injuries and disease in Springshire, very effectively. He is known among locals as "The Sage"

Their village is on the outskirts the nation Sylad, ruled by the fair and benevolent King Lloyd. A few miles away is Fort Oakhill, an outpost of the Canabian Empire. Canaba and Sylad are at peace and trade many goods, such as silk, spices gems and timber. Rumors persist however that Canaba lusts after Sylad's mineral reserves, and is planning an invasion.

brian c
2007-12-09, 05:34 AM
post reserved.

This part is for the actual intro to the campaign, the action that starts the PCs on the road to heroism. I've got some written, but it's not done and I'm tired so I'm going to sleep. If people show interest, I'll continue posting more about the campaign as I write it and/or as it happens.

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-20, 12:22 AM
Oh hey. Cool, somebody's using one of my ideas.

brian c
2008-02-20, 10:01 AM
Hehe, I honestly forgot that I had even posted this. I'd still like to do the campaign sometime, so if I do some more work I'll be sure to update over here