PDA

View Full Version : Redoing the Paladin

Brom
2007-12-13, 06:55 AM
Paladin Class Remade

My Objectives:

I’ve always felt that the most disciplined of the D&D classes, with the exception of high level monks, were commonly the weakest. Look on the Fighter, and compare it with a Barbarian. The Fighter comes out far less superior in damage; even when taking a damage heavy feat tree such as Two-Weapon Fighting. Look at the Wizard, and compare it to the barrage of magic that a Sorcerer can produce; over half a dozen flies per day is VERY significant. Finally, there is the Paladin; his nearest comparison, I would say, is either the Bard or Druid role-wise; a supporting cast of character that can form the bulk of a parties tanking when needed. I feel the Paladin fails this remarkably; Cure Diseases is marginal at best, Turn Undead feels like fluff when you consider that most every party will have a Cleric anyways. Most of all, despite a full base attack bonus, the Paladin feels like it has very little in the ways of OFFENSIVE options; it has no rage, and has no expanded feat selection. It has a myriad variety of defensive options, but frankly, it is still a class set up to be a frontline fighter; it should have offensive options which double as defensive.

My request:

As with all my classes, well grounded arguments, especially with comparisons made to the other classes are valued. Of course, reading this at all is valued, as is a posting if it comes with advice on how to solve perceive problems.

PALADIN
Alignment: Lawful good.
Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The paladin’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge ((All skills, taken individually)) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Paladin
— Spells per Day —
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Aura of good, detect evil,
smite evil 1/day — — — —
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Divine grace, lay on hands — — — —
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Aura of courage, divine health — — — —
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Paladin Vow I 0 — — —
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Smite evil 2/day, special mount 0 — — —
6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Remove disease 1/week 1 — — —
7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Paladin Bonus Feat 1 — — —
8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 Paladin Vow II 1 0 — —
9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Remove disease 2/week 1 0 — —
10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Smite evil 3/day 1 1 — —
11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Paladin Bonus Feat 1 1 0 —
12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Remove disease 3/week 1 1 1 —
13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 Paladin Bonus Feat 1 1 1 —
14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 Paladin Vow III 2 1 1 0
15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Remove disease 4/week,
smite evil 4/day 2 1 1 1
16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 Break Enchantment 2 2 1 1
17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 Paladin Bonus Feat 2 2 2 1
18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 Remove disease 5/week 3 2 2 1
19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 Paladin Vow IV 3 3 3 2
20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Smite evil 5/day, Aura of Righteousness, Paladin Bonus Feat 3 3 3 3

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the paladin.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Paladins are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).
Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a paladin’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.
Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.
Smite Evil (Su): Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.
At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Paladin, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.
Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.
Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level x her Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.
Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.
Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.
Divine Health (Ex): At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.
Break Enchantment: By using up three of his weekly Remove Disease uses, a Paladin can enact Break Enchantment on a single subject.
Aura of Righteousness: At 20th level, the Paladin is Righteous. Good does no simply explain it; he is right, the nature of how things should be in the world. He pulses with godly power, and gains a +2 to all skill checks, savings throws, attribute rolls, attack rolls, and damage rolls.
Paladin Bonus Feat: The Paladin may pick any feat on this list and add it to his feats at 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th, and 20th level. Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Diehard, Extra Turning, Improved Turning, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Toughness, Improved Toughness, Shield Specialization, Sudden Quicken, Sudden Maximize, Sudden Empower, Battle Mage, Arcane Strike, Extra Smite.
Paladin Vow: Paladins are always Good & Lawful. The stalwart leader who inspires the honest men under his command is a Lawful Good Paladin. The relentless destroyer of Undead, Extraplanar fiends, and Magical beasts that threaten others is a Lawful Good Paladin. The dignified Healer who restores his compatriots to their good health after he finishes the destruction of evil is a Lawful Good Paladin. While any Paladin might undertake these tasks, some Paladins Vow to take their godly powers and apply them in certain context. There are five Vows: Vow of Cleansing, Vow of Banishing, Vow of Healing, Vow of Protecting, and the Vow of Guiding. Each Vow grants four abilities; the Paladin can only Avow himself into one tree of these abilities. The first Paladin Vow Ability is granted at 4th level. The second is granted at 8th level. The third is granted at 14th level. The final Paladin Vow abilities are granted at 19th level.

Vow of Cleansing:

“I swear that evil shall not stride my home,
If need be, I swear to combat evil, alone.
I swear that evils destruction is not an unknown,
Through my divine power I will have this shown.”

- Mortusk Shadowbane, Half-Orc Paladin
- Promising in a prayer to uphold the vow he made three years ago

Paladins who despise evil and would train to combat it directly are often Paladins of Cleansing. They emphasize on techniques that turn their healing abilities into death dealing abilities when used on evil entities, and they often fight with either a single massive two handed weapon, or a pair of lighter weapons. In personalities, these Paladins are often zealous, militaristic, and narrow minded.

Paladins who take the Vow of Cleansing must, upon 4th level, undergo a ritual where they go out with a Paladin who has at least obtained the 8th level Paladin Vow of Cleansing Abilities and combat evil creatures in straight up combat in the name of his God, Goddess, or the Greater Good. They must survive this initiation, in which they kill, with the help of the Paladin who fights alongside and judges them, all the enemies they go to destroy. After they take the Vow of Cleansing, they are known by their peers as ‘Paladins of Cleansing’ or ‘Vindicators.’

Hands of Cleansing: The Paladin may use his Lay on Hands ability to harm instead of heal any creature with evil alignment. This is treated as a Good, Lawful ability for the purposes of damage reduction & spells.
End the Evil: A Paladin may use up both of his Smite Evil attempts for the day for a single, devastating strike in which he adds double his Charisma to hit and three times his Paladin level to damage.
Rain the Cleansing Fires: At 14th level, the Paladin of Cleansing may channel his Lay on Hands ability through a full attack using a melee weapon. The damage as Holy Fire damage.
Renewing Fires of Cleansing: Your Lay on Hands does three points of damage per point in your allotment used when you apply your Hands of Cleansing ability to an evil creature.

Vow of Banishing

“Evil, you are a serpent of death,
Your fatal embrace threatens to steal my breath,
But if I die, with eight words I shall be left:
From whence you came, I demand you remain!”

- Kroosul Lightdictum, Elven Paladin
- Declaring the Dictum of Light upon the unnatural in the world

Paladins who take the Vow of Banishing often spend years and years of training beforehand. They are often wronged in some way by either Undead or Demons, which are the two main creatures they train to repulse. Many Paladins of this type are also raised in the temple from childhood, knowing that they are to take the Vow of Banishing. For them, they are proud that they are able to defeat Demons, for if not those trained from birth to, then who? In personality, they commonly look through problems they have, considering outside influences, manipulative evils, and the motive of those around them.

Paladins who take the Vow of Banishing, must, upon 4th level, undergo a ritual where they take up the legendary rod, Dictum of Light, and fill it with their power. They speak the true name of a single Demon; if the Paladin succeeds, the Demon is summoned to the room but held at bay by the power of the Dictum of Light. If the Paladin fails; the Demon usually kills him before more experienced Paladins of Banishing send it back to the Nine Hells. If he succeeds, he is named a Paladin of Banishing and taught how to make various unnatural creatures bend and flee in terror of the Paladin. From when they take the Vow of Banishing on, they are referred to by their peers as either Vanquishers or Paladins of Banishing.

Turn Undead: Undead are a common evil in the world, and one which a Paladin is never done combating. The Paladin gains Turn Undead as a Cleric using her Paladin level instead of her Cleric levels to determine variables.
Turn Demons: At this point, the Paladin is coming to terms with her power and influence, and desires to exert it against more conniving, corrupting intelligences in the multiverse. She gains Turn Demons, which Turns evil extraplanars as Turn Undead turns Undead.
Turn Abominations: The Paladin can now readily turn aside Aberrations, Oozes, and Constructs with her power.
Turn Evil: The Paladin is readily able to turn aside Demons and Undead, but now he strives for more; all evil must be made to turn and flee away from the Paladin and back to whence it came. Any creature of an evil alignment can be turned as with Turn Undead.

Vow of Healing:

“If from harms way you just came,
From there I vow to refuse to allow you to remain.
The pain in your body can now be made to abstain,
With me here, of hurt you cannot complain!”

- Illessia Lifehaven, Half-Elven Paladin
- Offering her soul and all the healing it brings to those in pain

Paladins of healing are often people who display affinity with the godly powers that burn within the hearts of the warrior-priests that are Paladins in ways that are more curative than normal. They can combat, but often are more tempered and desire to do less and less combat than their fellow brother and sister Paladins. Every temple of Paladins has at least a few Paladins of Healing. In nature, these Paladins are nurturing, forgiving, but never forgetting, and remember the mistakes and actions those around them have taken.

Paladins who take the Vow of Healing must, upon 4th level, undergo a ritual where another Paladin, unbeknownst to them, disguises himself as a typically evil creature and emplaces Undetectable Alignment upon herself. The Paladin undergoing the ritual must then attempt to heal the creature anyways, often running out of power to maintain her Lay on Hands and being forced to work with normal medicine. Success is not determined by healing the wounds, which are illusory and do not respond to healing well anyways. Rather, it is determined by how stalwartly a Paladin can remain on task and for how long. These rituals have been known to go on for days, but Paladins who emerge come out with a renewed devotion to preserve life.

Hands of Healing Cascade: When the Paladin heals a subject with Lay on Hands, she can decide not to make the healing use up over one round, but rather continue healing a designated amount of points for a number of rounds up to her Charisma modifier. The amount of healing is restricted by her point allotment.
Healing Trance: By using up her once weekly Remove Disease ability, a Paladin may instead render a single subject she touches comatose. The victim remains comatose for a week, in which he is liberated of any poisons, negative levels, attribute damage, and healing.
Hands of the Healer: The Paladin restores 2 points for every point of her Lay on Hands power allotment spent.
Body of the Saint: The Paladin may, as a full round action, the Paladin of Healing may apply her Lay on Hands to any ally within five feet of her.

Vow of Protecting

“I pledge that mine life shalt be gone before ye own,
I pledge that I shall do my best to ensure ye never have a tombstone,
A Guardian you have found in me, I shall take your pain pound per pound,
With me, together now, let us stand our ground!”

- Korlen Stoneshield, Dwarf Paladin
- Swearing to defend the clan chief of the Stoneshield clan from danger

Paladins who take the Vow of Protecting are almost always from a background of strife and chaos; they swear to protect a family, a lord that has been generous to them, or a close friend. From there, a Paladin expands his sphere, realizing with typical Paladin humility that he cannot selfishly horde his talents to one group; then starts the Path onto the Vow of Protecting. In personality, Paladins of Protecting are stalwart, never backing down, and always willing to risk life and limb for those they trust. They often try to do the right thing in the short term, rather than the long term, protecting fewer lives at the potential cost of not ending a problem immediately. As long as a Paladin of Protection stands over her allies, she sees no reason why the chance to be triumphant will not come to pass.

Paladins who take the Vow of Protecting must, upon 4th level, undergo a ritual where they and instructed to defend a group of Clerics vs at least four other Paladins who are usually twice the power of the Paladin undergoing the ritual. Above all, he must defend the clerics to the last. Paladins are judged without criteria; rather, the Paladins who were on the offensive interview the Paladin who underwent the ritual and give introspection among themselves before reaching a decision. From the time they take the Vow on, they are referred to as either Templars or Paladins of Protection.

Savior of the Innocent: Once per turn, as a standard action, the Paladin can designate a single ally within 60 ft and enact an effect which duplicates a Shield Other spell that lasts for a number of rounds equal to twice the Paladins Charisma modifier.
Savior of the Endangered: The Paladin may, at any time, take full damage instead of half damage from a blow landed on an ally who he designated as the recipient of his Savior of the Innocent ability.
Savior of the Doomed: Whenever an ally designated with the Savior of the Innocent ability takes damage that would put him at negative health, the Paladin can choose to automatically stabilize the character who is at negative health. For every round the Paladin chooses to keep a downed companion stabilized with his Savior of the Doomed ability, the Paladin takes one point of damage.
Vindicator of those saved: Instead of making a regular attack in a single round, the Paladin may take the damage he received due to his Savior of the Innocent, Savior of the Endangered, or Savior of the Doomed abilities and inflict that damage on any enemy within melee range.

Vow of Guiding
“With you all, I have marched long for many a day,
With you day and night, I always chose to stay,
Beside you I fought until unmoving at my feet you lay,
So with this I ask, brothers, comrades, shall strain cause this to fray?
Or will you stand by me victorious at the end of this coming fray!”

- King Despis Hoperaiser, Human Paladin
- Rallying his faithful army of 50, 000

Paladins who see the need to lead by example often become Paladins of Guidance. These are the Paladins that the common people usually come to know, for they are there, on the streets, giving guidance and a wise hand in times of trouble to those in need. In times of war, however, is where they truly shine; not a one spell can prepare an army for combat like the mere presence and a few rallying words from a Paladin of Guidance. In personality, Paladins of Guiding are often trying to find the best in those who the name among their allies, trying to figure out where he could be the most use. Paladins of Guidance almost always think big, looking for an end objective to lead those who he travels with to.

Paladins who take the Vow of Guidance, must, at 4th level, undergo a trial where he leads a team of commoners through some great obstacle to another town; the commoners, at any time, can signal that they want to leave, and the Paladin must send them away with a scroll. However, the Paladin only succeeds if he can convince all of the commoners to stick it out with him. From then on, these Paladins are referred to by their peers as Paladins of Guidance or Centurions.

Aura of Might: By using 5 points of Lay on Hands point allotment, the Paladin grants a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls to all allies within 30 ft of him. This bonus increases to a +2 at 8th level, a +3 at 14th level, and a +4 at 19th level. This replaces and cancels any aura except the Aura of Good, Aura of Courage, and Aura of Righteousness. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Paladins Charisma modifier.
Aura of Longevity: By spending ten points of his Lay on Hands allotment, the Paladin grants his Charisma modifier as a bonus to savings throws to all within 30 ft of him. This replaces and cancels any aura except the Aura of Good, Aura of Courage, and Aura of Righteousness. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Paladins Charisma modifier.
Aura of Stoicism: By spending fifteen points of his Lay on Hands allotment, the Paladin grants DR/2- to allies within 30 ft of him. This replaces and cancels any aura except the Aura of Good, Aura of Courage, and Aura of Righteousness. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Paladins Charisma modifier.
Aura of Power: By spending twenty points of his Lay on Hands allotment, the Paladin grants all allies within 30 ft of him the Aura of Stoicism, Aura of Longevity, and Aura of might. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Paladins Charisma modifier.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a paladin gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the paladin spell list. A paladin must choose and prepare her spells in advance.
To prepare or cast a spell, a paladin must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a paladin’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the paladin’s Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a paladin can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Paladin. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. When Table: The Paladin indicates that the paladin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, she gains only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Wisdom score for that spell level The paladin does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.
A paladin prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot lose a prepared spell to spontaneously cast a cure spell in its place. A paladin may prepare and cast any spell on the paladin spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.
Through 3rd level, a paladin has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is one-half her paladin level.
Special Mount (Sp): Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil (see below). This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).
Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin’s level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.
Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.
Should the paladin’s mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.
Remove Disease (Sp): At 6th level, a paladin can produce a remove disease effect, as the spell, once per week. She can use this ability one additional time per week for every three levels after 6th (twice per week at 9th, three times at 12th, and so forth).
Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
Associates: While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.

Ex-Paladins
A paladin who ceases to be lawful good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all paladin spells and abilities (including the service of the paladin’s mount, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She may not progress any farther in levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.
Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character, but multiclass paladins face a special restriction. A paladin who gains a level in any class other than paladin may never again raise her paladin level, though she retains all her paladin abilities.

THE PALADIN’S MOUNT
The paladin’s mount is superior to a normal mount of its kind and has special powers, as described below. The standard mount for a Medium paladin is a heavy warhorse, and the standard mount for a Small paladin is a warpony. Another kind of mount, such as a riding dog (for a halfling paladin) or a Large shark (for a paladin in an aquatic campaign) may be allowed as well.
A paladin’s mount is treated as a magical beast, not an animal, for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type (though it retains an animal’s HD, base attack bonus, saves, skill points, and feats).

Paladin Level Bonus HD Natural Armor Adj. Str Adj. Int Special
5th–7th +2 +4 +1 6 Empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws
8th–10th +4 +6 +2 7 Improved speed
11th–14th +6 +8 +3 8 Command creatures of its kind
15th–20th +8 +10 +4 9 Spell resistance

Paladin’s Mount Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the mount’s kind, but make changes to take into account the attributes and characteristics summarized on the table and described below.
Bonus HD: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the mount’s HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). The mount gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.
Natural Armor Adj.: The number on the table is an improvement to the mount’s existing natural armor bonus.
Str Adj.: Add this figure to the mount’s Strength score.
Int: The mount’s Intelligence score.
Empathic Link (Su): The paladin has an empathic link with her mount out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The paladin cannot see through the mount’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically.
Note that even intelligent mounts see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.
Because of this empathic link, the paladin has the same connection to an item or place that her mount does, just as with a master and his familiar (see Familiars).
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.
Share Spells: At the paladin’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts on herself also affect her mount.
The mount must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the mount if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the mount again even if it returns to the paladin before the duration expires. Additionally, the paladin may cast a spell with a target of “You” on her mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A paladin and her mount can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the mount’s type (magical beast).
Share Saving Throws: For each of its saving throws, the mount uses its own base save bonus or the paladin’s, whichever is higher. The mount applies its own ability modifiers to saves, and it doesn’t share any other bonuses on saves that the master might have.
Improved Speed (Ex): The mount’s speed increases by 10 feet.
Command (Sp): Once per day per two paladin levels of its master, a mount can use this ability to command other any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself (for warhorses and warponies, this category includes donkeys, mules, and ponies), as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the mount. This ability functions like the command spell, but the mount must make a DC 21 Concentration check to succeed if it’s being ridden at the time. If the check fails, the ability does not work that time, but it still counts against the mount’s daily uses. Each target may attempt a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 paladin’s level + paladin’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect.
Spell Resistance (Ex): A mount’s spell resistance equals its master’s paladin level + 5. To affect the mount with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the mount’s spell resistance.

StickMan
2007-12-13, 10:30 AM
Well first thing you should do is clean up your post so that it is easily readable. I suggest you look at the Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) make sure to format your class into a table or very few people will bother to read it.
Also Check out Onewinged4ngel's and Seerow's Rebalanced Paladin (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=761045) generally believed to be the best redo of the Paladin.

Telonius
2007-12-13, 12:18 PM
Welcome to the boards, Brom! I'd suggest you prepare yourself for a wave of arguments on the relative power levels of the Monk (which is generally considered the weakest of the base classes even at level 20) and Sorcerer (generally considered weaker than the Wizard), but that's off-topic. I do agree that the Paladin is a bit weaker than the rest of the melee classes, and this does need some addressing.

I like the concept of the various vows. Mechanically it seems pretty sound - some nice thematic tweaks to existing abilities, sensible bonuses. I really like the extra bonus feats. It puts the Paladin back on par with the Ranger for combat options.

Brom
2007-12-14, 12:06 AM
I put a great deal of work to make this nice. The fact that it is not tabled is the fault of the forum boards, and not the work I put in. In mine, the class rework looks like something taken directly out of PHB; tables for the progressions, bolded names for the special abilities before the descriptions, etc. I made mine in Microsoft word, and then pasted. If someoen could bold & table stuff, that would be great, but as of now I don't know how.

Brom
2007-12-14, 12:10 AM
The first comment was to stickman.

Telnoious, thanks, I feel welcomed now ^_^

Lol. Anyways; I am fully prepared to host a thread about the various power levels of the classes; perhaps we could do it in roles. Melee classes: Most power, most weak. Arcane Casting: Most powerful, most weak, etc.

However, for THIS thread, I would like to keep the discussion about the Paladins. I read the one by ONeWingedAngel; it felt virtually identical in many respects without the vows, which I felt imparted a lot of flavor into this. If it is accepted, balance wise, however, as a good standard for a balanced class rework, I have a question, then;

Is my class equal to his in terms of power balance?

brian c
2007-12-14, 12:32 AM
I put a great deal of work to make this nice. The fact that it is not tabled is the fault of the forum boards, and not the work I put in. In mine, the class rework looks like something taken directly out of PHB; tables for the progressions, bolded names for the special abilities before the descriptions, etc. I made mine in Microsoft word, and then pasted. If someoen could bold & table stuff, that would be great, but as of now I don't know how.

Follow the link from StickMan to the Guide to Homebrewing; in there, you will find code for tables. Grab the 20-level class with spellcasting, copy-and-paste and replace the filler code with your own information. To make things bold, you put {b}text{/b} except instead of { }, use square brackets [ ]

It looks nice; the vows are a creative way to rework the class. I think they would sound better as Vow of noun instead of Vow of gerund; ie, Vow of Protection instead of Vow of Protecting. That's just a minor grammatical nitpick though.