PDA

View Full Version : the charnel guard [creature](peach)

reorith
2007-12-14, 01:58 AM
charnel guards are the remains of groups whose loyalty extended beyond death. people such as a company of soldiers engaged in a glorious struggle for liberty, or the followers of a martyr, seeking divinity are likely to eventually end up as charnel guards. they stand in defiance of death, animated by negative energy and the last remaining shreds of whatever ideal they had pursued with such devotion during their last moments. they appear as skeletons only, more serene and tranquil until they draw their steel and attempt to carve intruders with more cunning than a skeleton possesses

charnel guard
size/type: medium undead
hit dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
initiative: +2
speed: 30 feet
armor class: 16, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 dex, +2 natural +2 shield)
base attack/grapple: +1/+3
attack: longsword +3 melee (1d8+2)
full attack: longsword +3 melee (1d8+2)
space/reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
special attacks:
special qualities: damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft. undead traits
saves: fort +1, ref +3, will +3.
abilities: str 15, dex 15, con —, int 11, wis 10, cha 15.
skills: hide +8, intimidate +8, listen +8, move silently, +8, spot +2.
feats: alertness, combat reflexes.
enviroment: any, often underground.
organization: at least 4.
challange rating: 3
treasure: longsword, steel shield
alignment: neutral
advancement: —
level adjustment: —

SurlySeraph
2007-12-14, 07:48 PM
Looks fine, though I'm not sure why you gave them a bunch of odd numbers in stats. Also, if they're animated by devotion, it would make sense to make them Lawful Neutral. Otherwise, not much to say. They look fairly strong for CR 3 to me - they might qualify as CR 4 - but I'm not great at eyeballing CR, so you may want to ignore my opinion on that.

@V: *sigh* Yes, even actions that are about completely to a cause can be interpreted as chaotic. Indeed, any actions can be interpreted as chaotic. I once saw a player convince the DM that selling orphans as sex slaves was a Chaotic Good act, despite... you know what? I'm too tired to rant right now. Later. My comment about Lawful Neutral stands.

Xefas
2007-12-14, 07:52 PM
Also, if they're animated by devotion, it would make sense to make them Lawful Neutral.

Unless, of course, they were devoted to the cause of "acting as bat**** crazy as possible as often as possible".