PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend (Possible spoilers)

Thrivol
2007-12-14, 08:30 PM
I just saw it. It was... intense. Will Smith did a great job. The only problem with it, in my opinion, was how depressing it was.

Lerch
2007-12-14, 09:09 PM
wait unit 2012....at least that's what the mayans think....

Namaste123
2007-12-14, 09:39 PM
I really liked it alot, it was really intense, and Will Smith was fantastic for that part.

The part where his dog died just killed me, because I have a dog that looks exactly like Sam. The ending was perfect though, sort of reminded me of The Stand.

reorith
2007-12-15, 12:27 AM
I just saw it. It was... intense. Will Smith did a great job. The only problem with it, in my opinion, was how depressing it was.

the book is even more depressing.

Tormsskull
2007-12-15, 12:32 AM
I liked it overall, though I have to say I like the original (The Last Man on Earth) better.

I didn't like how the monsters looked, it reminded me of the mummy from the movie The Mummy. And I never liked the idea that getting infected with a disease turns you into a super jumping/crawling/strong freakazoid

I was also very surprised by the way the movie went, as I was expecting it to more closely align with the original.

Did anyone notice that in the begining each night he closed all of the windows with shutters, but each morning he awoke with sunlight in his face?

Namaste123
2007-12-15, 11:32 AM
wait unit 2012....at least that's what the mayans think....

It's funny that you say that, because it takes place in 2012.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-15, 11:45 AM
Meh. I thought it barely above mediocre. It was only pulled off by Will Smith being in it. He was fantastic as usual, but he can only help so much.

Seemed mostly a Resident Evil rip-off with Lassie/Old Yeller mixed in.

Once his dog died the movie took a decidedly downward swoop. After that I could have walked out and not missed a thing. Even that bit didn't get me emotionally. I've gotten emotional with movies, but this one didn't pull it off.

Also, it had a lot of stuff that really made no sense.

PlasticSoldier
2007-12-15, 11:55 AM
@^: What's wrong with Old Yeller? *Cries in corner*

I thought it was great for a zombie apocalypse movie.

Shraik
2007-12-15, 12:38 PM
Their Zombies, they shouldn't run.
But I agree that the movie we "ehh." It was much more walking around and saying things then action.

kpenguin
2007-12-15, 01:36 PM
Hold on... are they zombies in the movie now? In the book they were vampires.

Mmmm... not exactly shining recommendations, but I think I'll see it.

Tweekinator
2007-12-15, 02:06 PM
It shat upon Richard Matheson's masterpiece. Will Smith was good in it, though.

NerfTW
2007-12-15, 02:42 PM
They aren't zombies. They are very clearly vampires. They get burned by sunlight and drink blood.

Did anyone else think they changed the ending at the last minute? They did that whole subplot with him saying "the vampires are animals" and the one vampire obviously attacking him to rescue his mate, but then just blew them all up and never resolved it.

The entire movie seemed very pointless at the end. We could have picked up with Anna (?) meeting him and it would have made more sense.

reorith
2007-12-16, 02:13 AM
it didn't make neveille out to be the same sociopath that the book described him as. als, they neglected the whole morality issue of killing to survive that the dialogue at the end of the bok reveals. oh well.
i sobbed uncontrollably when sam died. my german shepherd mix died in my arms 1/29/05. i thought "hey maybe i won't cry the second time seeing this movie." but i was there in the seventh row bawling. i just wanted to confess to that somewhere

WalkingTarget
2007-12-16, 02:28 AM
They aren't zombies. They are very clearly vampires. They get burned by sunlight and drink blood.

Did anyone else think they changed the ending at the last minute? They did that whole subplot with him saying "the vampires are animals" and the one vampire obviously attacking him to rescue his mate, but then just blew them all up and never resolved it.

The entire movie seemed very pointless at the end. We could have picked up with Anna (?) meeting him and it would have made more sense.

Some of the problems I had with the movie were resolved when the credits began to roll. "Based on the screenplay by John Corrington" or some such before the credit for Matheson. That makes it a remake of The Omega Man as much as a direct film adaptation of I Am Legend. Many of the liberties T.O.M. took with the original story crossed over into this one as well.

Yeah, I agree with NerfTW on this one about the disjointed nature of the end and the loose ends: he thinks they "darkseekers" are totally animal now, but one (which I can't help but think of as Ben Cortman) came out to follow a female, trapped Neville in a clever way, keeps pet dogs, and followed him home obviously searching for something. But that's completely ignored. I think removing the chance of verbal interplay between Neville and the infected people seriously dumbs down the story.

Hell, having Neville be aware of the source of the plague from the beginning changes the nature of the story (not that that makes it a bad film on it's own, just different from the original story). They changed his character from "vampire hunter" to "doctor" which is more "humane" I suppose but I also find it much less interesting.

That being said, I thought that Smith did a good job playing the part as written and I liked the style of the depopulated New York.

2007-12-16, 10:37 AM
As many others have said, Will Smith did a great job. I think he even did well portraying how he was seriously losing it under his exterior of work, eat, sleep. ie:

"FRANK! IF YOU'RE REAL YOU BETTER TELL ME RIGHT NOW!"

and

"Please say hello to me..."

And I was really mad that they didn't do more with 'Ben Cortman'. When I saw how obviously he was mad about Robert taking his mate and then not only set a trap for him that was the exact same as the one Robert used, but also led vampires against him at the pier and then tracked him back to his house, I was sure they'd go the route of the book and show the new breed of vampires.

Instead they tack on a woman with a child who has like 2 lines and no personality, mention some stuff about a higher power and then say, "Oh and by the way, there were like a hundered humans living in a little village that was pefectly safe and secure. Everything is A-OKAY!"

I don't get why all the apocolypse movies based on books always have to have everything work out, if not for the main character, then at least for humanity. I mean, the whole point of I Am Legend is to show how monstrosity is relative, and that message was lost in the movie.

Still, it wasn't bad. Up until Neville was saved at the pier, it was everything I wanted.

Side note: Did anyone else notice the Superman/Batman movie poster, and the Green Lantern movie poster?

Foeofthelance
2007-12-16, 10:56 AM
I don't get why all the apocolypse movies based on books always have to have everything work out, if not for the main character, then at least for humanity. I mean, the whole point of I Am Legend is to show how monstrosity is relative, and that message was lost in the movie.

Because Hollywood has realized that movies that end on massive downers, especially action flicks, generally either bomb at the box office, or get classified as "artsy" which can amount to the same thing. Folks simply don't want the monsters to win. You can pit Godzilla against French soldiers and a nuclear worm scientist and he'll lose, despite having, mopped the floor with the U.S. military throughout the movie. Zombies taking over? Well, its a good thing mutagenic viruses make people dumb, or they might realize that all those glass windows in the mall turned fortress are rather vulnerable. Terrible mythological beasty eating local kids? Good thing it only does it one or two nights a year, and we "forgot" to tell those newcomers about it!

Seriously, people don't want morality or philosophy with their movies. They want popcorn and soda.

2007-12-16, 04:15 PM
Because Hollywood has realized that movies that end on massive downers, especially action flicks, generally either bomb at the box office, or get classified as "artsy" which can amount to the same thing. Folks simply don't want the monsters to win. You can pit Godzilla against French soldiers and a nuclear worm scientist and he'll lose, despite having, mopped the floor with the U.S. military throughout the movie. Zombies taking over? Well, its a good thing mutagenic viruses make people dumb, or they might realize that all those glass windows in the mall turned fortress are rather vulnerable. Terrible mythological beasty eating local kids? Good thing it only does it one or two nights a year, and we "forgot" to tell those newcomers about it!

Seriously, people don't want morality or philosophy with their movies. They want popcorn and soda.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002ABURA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Foeofthelance
2007-12-16, 05:22 PM
Actually, I freely admit to having never seen that one. I sort of lost my taste for Zombie flicks, unless they were made by Italians in the sixties or seventies.

warty goblin
2007-12-16, 06:42 PM
I liked it, felt sort of like Children of Men with vampires. Also the vampire dogs were freaky as hell, and that whole scene was just horribly tragically beautiful, with the setting sun and the hounds just...waiting like that.

Will Smith was good as always, I found him more convincing than Tom Hanks in Castaway, particularly in his reaction to meeting people again- he didn't want there to be anybody else left. Really, its about time the man won something for his work.

tahu88810
2007-12-16, 06:49 PM
hummm...
Would anybody like to tell me what the original title of the book is? And what the author's name is?
I'd like to read the book before even looking at the movie (although, it does look like a good movie)

kpenguin
2007-12-16, 06:51 PM
The book's title is the same as the movie: I am Legend. It was written by... something Matheson.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Richard Matheson.

tahu88810
2007-12-16, 07:08 PM
The book's title is the same as the movie: I am Legend. It was written by... something Matheson.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Richard Matheson.

Alright thanks.

The whole I Am Legend, and I-Robot thing both being with Will Smith made me think it was just a movie title, lol.
*is off to the library when it opens...later...*

puppyavenger
2007-12-16, 07:25 PM
hummm...
Would anybody like to tell me what the original title of the book is? And what the author's name is?
I'd like to read the book before even looking at the movie (although, it does look like a good movie)

I would advise the oppisite, A movie based on a book never seems as good afte you read the book

tahu88810
2007-12-16, 07:27 PM
I would advise the oppisite, A movie based on a book never seems as good afte you read the book

yes, but the book can be confusing if you watch the movie first...lol
(Atleast for me, after a bad experience with LotR)

Haydenhawk
2007-12-16, 07:42 PM
I personally thought it was an amazing movie. What was really amazing was how the special effects teams made new york really look like it had been abandoned for 3 years with times square as a corn field and plants cracking up through the streets. I have to say though, the trailers were very misleading. I didn't think this movie was going to be scary at all however it was a very good scare. I shut my eyes whenever the zombie/vampire guys came on because once i see a thing like that, it wont leave my head for days.

RandomLogic
2007-12-16, 09:20 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I just got back from seeing it.

Smith does a fantastic job as the semi-crazy-sane dude.

I didn't read the book but I picked up on the one 'vampire' being what seemed like intelligent and it seemed to me that they just kind of cut that storyline out.

"SAY HELLO"

Darken Rahl
2007-12-16, 10:04 PM
The CG creatures were atrocious. Give me makeup on real folks ANY day.

reorith
2007-12-17, 07:35 AM
did anyone wish they had left in the parts with neville's neighbor cortman harassing him post postmortem? "come out, neville.”

seconded

Vaire
2007-12-17, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=The Vorpal Tribble;3660814]Meh. I thought it barely above mediocre. It was only pulled off by Will Smith being in it. He was fantastic as usual, but he can only help so much.

Seemed mostly a Resident Evil rip-off with Lassie/Old Yeller mixed in.

But the original story predates Resident Evil. So if anything, they ripped off it, and besides, we're talking vampires, not zombies. If the movie even remotely tries to stay true to the book, it's not going to be a simplistic horror movie. The book was much more complex than that.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-17, 10:10 AM
The movie was pretty simplistic, I'm sad to say. Well filmed, pretty, but simple.

ALOR
2007-12-17, 10:24 AM

I have to agree with you there. The CG was pretty bad. I did however like the movie over all and I thought will smith did a very good job. Oh an to the person who asked I did see the superman/batman poster but I didn't see the green lantern poster.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-17, 10:26 AM
It's a little known fact that futuristic viruses cause unhinged jaws, uncontrollable screaming, and one's face to contort into Frankenstein's monster shapes. :smallbiggrin:

Maulrus
2007-12-17, 06:56 PM
I just finished reading the book, which is superbly amazing. I'm hoping to get around to seeing the movie pretty soon.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-12-17, 07:26 PM
The movie was good, all up until the Girl comes in, as many others say. What I really hated was the ending. It happened a little to fast and I think they should've switched the ending scene and the end. It would have been better if they talked about how he had a legacy and all that and then showed the YOU SHALL NOT PARSE!

The CG wasn't too bad.

TheEmerged
2007-12-17, 10:41 PM
RE: The Ending. Actually, I thought it was common knowledge that the ending was re-filmed after the test audiences hated it. It's certainly been reported in most of the articles I've read on the movie.

DungeonMaster77
2007-12-18, 08:02 AM
Wow, I have to say...

I didn't see the whole zombie-vampire thing coming. I kind of expected zombie, but zombie-vampires? Neat. I was impressed by Will Smith's capability playing a guy that has been alone so long he began to go a liiiiiiiitle crazy in the head. And why did the freaking dog have to die?! I cried almost as much as when Old Yeller was shot when Will had to strangle Sam. Seriously...he had a vaccine that worked on rats...why didn't he give it to the dog?

Also, I agree with the whole thing about the "lead" vampire-zombie, and how they ignored that portion of the plotline, where it was following its mate, and then later used the exact same trap Will Smith used on its mate on Will Smith. It's like "Dude, you are supposed to be a Lt. Col. in Bio-Research for the Army, but you can't tell the thing is, not only intelligent, but looking for his girl? Wow...you are going crazy."

The other thing I don't get is how he acts and talks perfectly normal around the manacins (sp?), but can't seem to act socially acceptable around actual human beings? What's the deal with that.

Lastly, the deal with "Frank" and finding him in the middle of town...great scene.

Overall, I give the movie a 7 out of 10. The CGI was good, the overall plot was good, but some things were too obvious to be ignored in the way they were.

NerfTW
2007-12-18, 08:34 AM
RE: The Ending. Actually, I thought it was common knowledge that the ending was re-filmed after the test audiences hated it. It's certainly been reported in most of the articles I've read on the movie.

Nope, I never read any of the articles on it. I tend to avoid those, since they're usually just glowing PR for the movie. That, and I didn't want to see the movie. My girlfriend dragged me to it.

Now I have to get the DVD on NetFlix when it comes out so I can see what the original was.

And to DungeonMaster, they aren't zombie vampires. They're just vampires. I really wish people would stop sticking the zombie tag on the movie. Especially ones who don't want to see it because they're "fast zombies". (further up in the thread)

mikeejimbo
2007-12-18, 09:54 AM
I dunno, I don't like to think of them as vampires OR zombies... I think it makes more sense to call them "People infected with KV, which causes them to burn in direct sunlight or other sources of UV, makes them aggressive, fast, strong, and impervious to pain, and give them taste for human blood."

OK, very vampire like, but if they were vampires, why didn't Will Smith carry around garlic? :P

The J Pizzel
2007-12-18, 12:15 PM
Very unimpressed with the movie. Many, many cons...and a few pros.

Pros -
Directing. Many of the shots and were very nice. The scene in the beginning when were sill like "who is this guy" and then he opens the fridge door and there's a Time magazine with his name and title...very good shot.

Will Smith. IMO, a good actor and he did very well in this movie. His ability to blend humor and emotion in a matter of seconds is great.

Sam, as a character. The idea of making Sam such a "character" was very nice and creative. Her death was the only one in the movie that moved me.

Cons -
CGI. Horribly pathetic. Completel CGI Darkseekers was horribly not needed. They could have done the exact same thing with actors and make-up. I literally was taken out of the essence of the movie everytime they were on screen. 28 days later had virtually the exact same concept of creatures and they were perfectly adequate.

Plot. This plot sucked. The generic(nous) of the plot was disturbing. I felt like I've seen this movie 4 times already.

Death. I'm extremely tired of Hollywood milking this "hero dies" shock scene in all thier recent movies. Children of Men, Blood Diamond, I Am Legend, etc. all have the main character, after and extremely lenghthy journey, dies. It's good that Hollywood isn't trying to make "happily ever after" movies all the time, but now there getting out of hand.

The girl and boy. Crap. Just thrown in there so they could kill off Will Smith and still have some plot left.

I don't think agree with zombies or vampires. They're not dead. Zombies and vampires are dead (or undead). These are simply mutated humans. Regardless of what their tendencies resemble, there simply mutated humans. If you want to follow the movie, just call them Darkseekers.

I'm simply reviewing the movie. I don't know anything about the book. I give the movie a 6 out of 10.

28 days later was much better, as was Children of Men. It seems like they tried to blend artsy with popcorn and it didn't come out to my likeing. But luckily, I'm just one guy.

My brother and best friend both frickin loved it. So, everyone tastes are different. This was just my opinion.

JP

reorith
2007-12-18, 01:36 PM
I dunno, I don't like to think of them as vampires OR zombies... I think it makes more sense to call them "People infected with KV, which causes them to burn in direct sunlight or other sources of UV, makes them aggressive, fast, strong, and impervious to pain, and give them taste for human blood."

OK, very vampire like, but if they were vampires, why didn't Will Smith carry around garlic? :P

he pours garlic extract over his jacket after the bank encounter and splashes it all over his front step the first time we see him go home. also, you can see garlic growing under a light in his kitchen.

Indon
2007-12-18, 03:59 PM
he pours garlic extract over his jacket after the bank encounter and splashes it all over his front step the first time we see him go home. also, you can see garlic growing under a light in his kitchen.

So that's what he was doing! I was awfully confused by that.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-12-18, 04:19 PM

The 'People infected with KV' fits better then vampires or zombies, but I don't think they had a taste for human blood. KV was described once in the movie as generating rabies-like symptoms and what looked like a much more sensitive version of albinoism.

Was that really garlic extract he was pouring? Cause when he shot the jugs later on they exploded...or were those different jugs?

Hopefully the DVD has the original ending that was thrown out because of bad test audience response, because it SHOULD wrap up some of the loose ends.

And just for the record, I'm loving this 'the heroes can die' trend going on.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-18, 05:10 PM

Likely that's bleach to cover his scent. The stuff he explodes later is a different liquid, and the garlic is simply something he's growing, not an indication of vampires.

Hawriel
2007-12-18, 05:24 PM
Wow, I have to say...

I didn't see the whole zombie-vampire thing coming. I kind of expected zombie, but zombie-vampires? Neat. I was impressed by Will Smith's capability playing a guy that has been alone so long he began to go a liiiiiiiitle crazy in the head. And why did the freaking dog have to die?! I cried almost as much as when Old Yeller was shot when Will had to strangle Sam. Seriously...he had a vaccine that worked on rats...why didn't he give it to the dog?

Also, I agree with the whole thing about the "lead" vampire-zombie, and how they ignored that portion of the plotline, where it was following its mate, and then later used the exact same trap Will Smith used on its mate on Will Smith. It's like "Dude, you are supposed to be a Lt. Col. in Bio-Research for the Army, but you can't tell the thing is, not only intelligent, but looking for his girl? Wow...you are going crazy."

The other thing I don't get is how he acts and talks perfectly normal around the manacins (sp?), but can't seem to act socially acceptable around actual human beings? What's the deal with that.

Lastly, the deal with "Frank" and finding him in the middle of town...great scene.

Overall, I give the movie a 7 out of 10. The CGI was good, the overall plot was good, but some things were too obvious to be ignored in the way they were.

I found the movie to slide with the fred trap. I never read the book but I was pritty sure it was Zombi/Vamp with a personality that set it up. My problem with the sean is Smiths character would be in total survival mode. If its weird walk away and or shoot it. I under stand he would need to investegate but its whan he cuts himself down that I have a problem. It took him to long to get to the car. Knife in the thigh and posable broken bone asside. If your fighting to servive every second of your life you would have the drive to get up and run in some way or another. Grap the dog and run. Soldiers have done alot more in RL with greater injuries.

To the quote. I under stand the characters in ability to cope with the real living peaple he encounters. The manekins are not real. He knows this. He set them up the way he did to keep that small socalisation thing going to keep him from going compleatly mad. Same reason why he watches alot of movies and has TEVO and the music going on in the background at home. When he in confronted with real peaple he cant relate. The only thing close to a real person wants to kill and eat him. All normal peaple are dead. Having real normal peaple in his house is feakin him out. Its braking reality.

Should have Smith's character made the connection with pissed off male with captured female? Yes I do. However the movie did not suport that. The movie made the infected peaple into resident evil monsters. I really want to know what is the life span of the infected. The viruse gave humens a supper rabies. Rabies will kill the infected animal sooner or later. The ammount of aggresive hormones to put a person into a permenent roid rage will kill the body sooner or later. Im thinking 3 years is enough time. Unless there are other changes not mentioned in the movie.

Last plot hole. radiose. If there is a colony of hundreds of peaple they have a radio, transmitter the whole bit. If will smith has electrical power on a sealed of manhatten island so does any other survivor group. Again I didnt read the book. Maybe it has a more plausable explination. The movie didnt have one at all.

ok so picked at the movie like crazy I still liked it. would I buy the DVD? Well maybe on sail with a discount cupon. It takes the departed for me to shell out 20 bucks on a dvd.

2007-12-18, 07:08 PM
I thought that was garlic extract, but later scenes in the movie led me to think it was bleach to cover his tracks.

In the book, however, Neville covers the planks protecting the windows of his house with garlic and (once he figures it out) garlic extract to keep the vampires from just tearing them open.

The movie seemed to want to distance itself from the vampire thing, the only clue that they are vampires is that they are trying to drink blood. In the book guns didn't kill them, only knocked them down. You had to stake them (or really just expose their circulatory system to air) or drag them into the sun to kill them.

Cuddly
2007-12-18, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure why you guys are making so much noise about the movie. It's meant to be a post-apocalyptic zombie/undead/we're-all-die-and-come-back-and kill-some-more flick. Nowhere was, or has been, the movie been billed as "thoughtful cinematic examining what it is to be a monster."

Go watch Shrek or something.

2007-12-18, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure why you guys are making so much noise about the movie. It's meant to be a post-apocalyptic zombie/undead/we're-all-die-and-come-back-and kill-some-more flick. Nowhere was, or has been, the movie been billed as "thoughtful cinematic examining what it is to be a monster."

But thats exactly what the book the movie was based on is about. Hence, people are mad that they've changed the whole message of the story to, "Don't worry be happy."

kpenguin
2007-12-18, 07:17 PM
This plot sucked. The generic(nous) of the plot was disturbing. I felt like I've seen this movie 4 times already.

Since the plot is based off a book written in the fifties, this is like saying that Lord of the Ring's plot sucked because it was just generic fantasy. You can't say the plot sucked just because it was generic.

reorith
2007-12-18, 09:09 PM
Likely that's bleach to cover his scent. The stuff he explodes later is a different liquid, and the garlic is simply something he's growing, not an indication of vampires.

ahh i see.

did any one else notice how the interior of his house had a bunch of paintings that seemed to look like originals? there was a haring and two by van gogh

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-12-18, 09:20 PM
They weren't zombies or vampires. . . They were. . .

SUPER ALBINO PEOPLE FROM MARS!

That was a CH announcement, carry on with your day.

JadedDM
2007-12-18, 10:31 PM
I had read that they were going to use prosthetics instead of CGI, but supposedly the prosthetics looked even worse so they changed it.

Seriously...he had a vaccine that worked on rats...why didn't he give it to the dog?

He did. It didn't work.

I'm extremely tired of Hollywood milking this "hero dies" shock scene in all thier recent movies. Children of Men, Blood Diamond, I Am Legend, etc. all have the main character, after and extremely lenghthy journey, dies. It's good that Hollywood isn't trying to make "happily ever after" movies all the time, but now there getting out of hand.

Haha! That statement is actually pretty funny if you know how the book ends. I was disappointed with the movie's ending because it was way too upbeat. The book's ending was far bleaker, and had a huge twist.

In the book:

It turns out that there are some survivors who are infected but are able to 'control' their urges most of the time. It turns out that Nevelle has been killing them as well as the regular infected and has become something of a legend among them, as a monster who can walk in the sun and kill them in their sleep. He realizes as he dies (executed in public by the new 'society') that he has become the vampire legend of the vampires and laughs at the irony. Hence the title, "I am Legend."

To me, the ending of the movie was severely lacking. It's like if they remade the Sixth Sense, but at the end it turns out the guy is still alive, and he and wife get back together and adopt the little boy. :smallamused:

DungeonMaster77
2007-12-18, 11:27 PM
I kind of agree with you Hawriel, as well as NerfTW, but before they go all "roid" on people (ok...Will Smith), they seem kind of..."Graaaaaawwwwrrrr...Braaaaaaaaaaiiiinnnnnssss....Bl ooooooooooood...." to me. Also, there is evidence that they are more...vamp-like. Will Smith's char uses his own blood in a vial, smashes it on the ground where he sets the trap to capture the "she-thing." Vamps like blood. Zombies like brains. Vamps die in sunlight. Zombies traditionally don't. So...at this time I'd like to change my vote from "Zombie-Vampire" to just "Vampire."

Belteshazzar
2007-12-19, 01:15 AM
I could tell that they just sort or ad libbed the whole thing from where he got his car flipped and was about to get eaten. The kid and the woman really didn't belong, but I suppose that is what you get when you try to mainstream a depressing story about self development, relative humanity, and primal fear.
I would have liked more development on the ghouls and the proto-society. Kind of hive mind with the alpha member controlling the actions of the others as a single unit. If they had added in the more civilized ghouls from the book (the ones who could talk and taunt him) it would have been even better, but as it stands Will Smith is a good actor and his latest work just gave me some lovely campaign inspiration.

NerfTW
2007-12-19, 08:56 AM
Since the plot is based off a book written in the fifties, this is like saying that Lord of the Ring's plot sucked because it was just generic fantasy. You can't say the plot sucked just because it was generic.

Except that A) the plot doesn't resemble the book at all. Neville isn't trying to find a cure in the book, and the big conflict is that some people get the vampire weaknesses but are still human, yet Neville kills them anyways, and they put him on trial for this.

and B) there was something resembling a plot that was clearly and obviously cut out at the last minute. Plus the fact that the whole first half of the movie does nothing to advance the plot that couldn't have been done in a 5 minute speal when Anna shows up.

In fact, I'd dare say Anna should have been the main character, but that would have introduced the obvious plot hole of how the vampires traveled past rural areas in the first place.

In fact, like in 28 weeks later, other continents should have been unaffected by the virus, unless they intended the original strain to be slow working.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-19, 09:09 AM

Go watch Shrek or something.

You make little logical sense. You accuse us of wanting more "thoughtful cinematic examining what it is to be a monster." and then tell us to go watch...

Shrek?

Not to mention that this is verging on trolling / flamebait.

Tweekinator
2007-12-19, 11:50 AM
In the book:

It turns out that there are some survivors who are infected but are able to 'control' their urges most of the time. It turns out that Nevelle has been killing them as well as the regular infected and has become something of a legend among them, as a monster who can walk in the sun and kill them in their sleep. He realizes as he dies (executed in public by the new 'society') that he has become the vampire legend of the vampires and laughs at the irony. Hence the title, "I am Legend."

He actually takes a cyanide(I believe) pill so that they won't get to execute him.

WalkingTarget
2007-12-19, 12:39 PM
He actually takes a cyanide(I believe) pill so that they won't get to execute him.

The girl to tricked/trapped him gave him a packet of pills (contents unspecified) so that he could have a painless death as opposed to "a butchery before their eyes..." He was in plain view of the crowd as he died though as he was leaning against the window of his cell.

2007-12-19, 12:45 PM
Except that A) the plot doesn't resemble the book at all. Neville isn't trying to find a cure in the book, and the big conflict is that some people get the vampire weaknesses but are still human, yet Neville kills them anyways, and they put him on trial for this.

He was studying the virus in hopes to cure it, he just wasn't a scientist before the story, so he had to teach himself everything. The plot of the movie and book are very similar.

The virus didn't instantly transform you into a vampire, by the time the people working with KV realized it had gone airborn, it was already to late. People had been infected, the movie even showed that the scanners to detect the virus didn't always work. All it takes is one person going overseas to infect one person in Europe or Asia and then its game over.

The Stand by Stephen King illustrates this idea very well.

reorith
2007-12-19, 01:03 PM
He was studying the virus in hopes to cure it, he just wasn't a scientist before the story, so he had to teach himself everything. The plot of the movie and book are very similar.

chapter eleven is the first time he starts to examine things with the microscope and learns about spores. before neville, no one knew spores and how they spread.

textual support from the novel

“it’s a bacillus,” he said, “a cylindrical bacterium. it creates an isotonic solution in the blood, circulates the blood slower than normal, activates all bodily functions, lives on fresh blood, and provides energy. deprived of blood, it makes self-killing bacteriophages or else sporulates.”

she looked blank. he realized then that she couldn’t have understood. terms so common to him now were completely foreign to her.

“well,” he said, “most of those things aren’t so important. to sporulate is to create an oval body that has all the basic ingredients of the vegetative bacterium. the germ does that when it gets no fresh blood. then, when the vampire host decomposes, these spores go flying out and seek new hosts. they find one, germinate—and one more system is infected.”

Tweekinator
2007-12-19, 03:04 PM
The girl to tricked/trapped him gave him a packet of pills (contents unspecified) so that he could have a painless death as opposed to "a butchery before their eyes..." He was in plain view of the crowd as he died though as he was leaning against the window of his cell.

Ok, so the pill contents were wrong. He still took the poison so he wouldn't be executed. The girl who gave it to him wasn't his executioner; she smuggled the stuff into his cell.

JMobius
2007-12-29, 09:18 PM
(This has been the thread the others about the movie direct to, so apoligies for the bump)

I thought the movie was okay. Up until the point where the female protagonist showed up, it was actually really good. It degenerated quickly from that point, though. The fact that the entire climax wouldn't have happened if they girl hadn't been Hollywood stupid enough to ignore the advice of the guy who has managed to survive for three years was a big turn off.

I haven't read the book, but that ending sounds really good, really thought provoking. I can see how some of the threads of the movie lead in that direction, before they were apparently reworked out of existence. Very unfortunate. Totally going to get the DVD for that, though.

EvilElitest
2007-12-29, 09:21 PM
(This has been the thread the others about the movie direct to, so apoligies for the bump)

I thought the movie was okay. Up until the point where the female protagonist showed up, it was actually really good. It degenerated quickly from that point, though. The fact that the entire climax wouldn't have happened if they girl hadn't been Hollywood stupid enough to ignore the advice of the guy who has managed to survive for three years was a big turn off.

I haven't read the book, but that ending sounds really good, really thought provoking. I can see how some of the threads of the movie lead in that direction, before they were apparently reworked out of existence. Very unfortunate. Totally going to get the DVD for that, though.

I think this is the non spoiler thread, but it is very confusing
from,
EE

MattKatt
2007-12-31, 10:28 PM
One line review of the film:
Wait until it comes out on DVD...then rent it

One line review of the book:
If you dont read one of the worlds best voted sci-fi books, your definatly missing out

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 10:59 PM
quick question, how i this thread any different from the other one, because i keep getting lost between them all
from
EE

Amotis
2007-12-31, 11:03 PM
Best part of the movie: Bob Marley's Redemption Song during the end credits. I wish the movie was a lot more darker so the parts alluding to Bob could come out more. :smalltongue: