PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar (PrC) (PEACH)

Raistlin1040
2007-12-14, 09:25 PM
Rockstar

http://www.foothillcougars.com/justforfun/classicrock/kiss/the%20very%20best%20of%20kiss.jpg http://lirycs.obornikionline.pl/images/guns_n_roses1.jpg http://www.radio.usp.br/imagens/blacksabbath.jpg

A rockstar is a larger than-life warrior. A charismatic superhero, a renowned leader of the masses, a power so ultimate and mighty they can even influence people to their will with ease through their music. They may be bards who have struggled their whole life to "make it", or charismatic rogues with musical talent, an old cleric who plays music for his god, or a young hotshot who seeks only fame and fortune.

HD: d8

Requirements
Skills: Perform 10 ranks, Bluff or Diplomancy 10 ranks.
Feats: Endurance, Skill Focus: Perform (Chosen Instrument)
Special: Must have performed at least 3 successful gigs, where at least 5-10 NPC's attitudes were adjusted 1 step closer to Fanatic.
Class Skills (6+Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge, Listen, Perform (any), Profession (any), Ride, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Rockstar gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Genre: At first level, a Rockstar picks a style of music from the following list; Hard Rock, Metal, and Glam.

Minor Fame:At first level, a Rockstar is becoming slightly famous around the country. He has a small fanbase, but a devoted one. The DM makes judgement call, and if he decides that the NPC is a Fan, the Rockstar gets a +2 to Diplomacy checks when dealing with that NPC. The bonus increases to +4, +6, +8, and +10 at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level respectivly. This bonus stacks with other bonus' gained from this class. At the DM's option, some NPCs might hate the Rockstar. The chance of an NPC being a "hater" is less than being a Fan. When dealing with a hater, a Rockstar gets a -1 to Diplomacy at 1st level, and -2, -3, -4, -5 at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level.

Favored Instrument: For Slash, it's his custom Les Paul. For Eddie Van Halen, it's Frankenstrat. At second level, a Rockstar can choose one of his instruments as a Favored instrument. The instrument grants the Rockstar a +2 enhancement bonus on all perform checks that involve the instrument. The instrument can also break Silence effects as a Dispel magic spell, with a Perform check instead of a caster level check. If the Favored Instrument is lost or broken beyond repair, the Rockstar suffers experiance penalties as if he's lost a familiar. He may choose a new instrument 1 month after losing the previous one.

Opener: At third level, a Rockstar has gained some more fame.

Metal Rockstar gains the following abilites; +2 on Intimidate checks, and as a standard action the Metal Rockstar may let out a wailing chord with his instrument to frighten a near by target which he can see, with a DC 20 Perform(chosen instrument) check. This is a sonic mind-affecting ability. This is a swift action.

A Hard Rock Rockstar gains the following abilities;+2 on Diplomacy or Bluff (Whichever is higher. If equal, player chooses) and the ability to use his instrument as a weapon. It is non-magical (Unless already enhanced) It is weilded 2-handed and deals 2d6 damage. It deals Bludgeoning damage, and has a critical modifier of X3.

A Glam Rockstar gains the following abilities;+2 on Disguise checks, and gains a makeshift breath weapon. If the Rockstar has access to any fire (torch, flaming weapon, ect), he can create a fire attack. It deals 4d6 fire damage, and is a 10-foot cone. It provokes an Attack of Opportunity. It snuffs out the fire if it is non-magical. Magical Fire can only be used 3/day per source. A Reflex save for half damage can be made against a DC of 10+1/2 Rockstar level+CON modifier of Rockstar. This is a Standard action.

Groupies: At fourth level, a rockstar gains the Leadership feat, but only with regards to Followers. If the Rockstar already has this feat, he gets a +2 bonus to his Leadership score instead. Only Fans can be followers.

Headliner: At fifth level, a Rockstar played enough gigs to know how to conserve energy. He only requiers 4 hours of sleep a day (Or 2 hours of trance if an elf), and 2/3 as much food and water. He also gains the Run feat as a bonus feat.

Hall of Fame: At seventh level, a rockstar is incredibly famous. He has hordes of fans, and is widely recognized as an amazing musician. He gains a permanant +2 to his Perform skill, a +2 to his Leadership score, and an ability based on style. These bonus' stack with previous bonus' from the Rockstar class.

A Metal Rockstar can now Frighten scores of targets with his fearsome performances. With a DC 30 performance check the Rockstar can cause Fear to any number of HD of creatures up to his Character level of creatures that can hear him. This is a sonic and Mind-affecting ability. This is a Standard action

Hard Rock: Can drown out any sound with 10ft/character level. There is a 25% chance a spellcaster will fail his spell, and verbal communication is impossible. Can do this 2 rounds/Rockstar Level/Day.

Glam: Can create a pyrotechnics display with 500gp worth of materials. This display has a 50% chance of temporarily blinding anyone who looks directly at it, and can be set to move as a projectile weapon, dealing 1d8/Rockstar level to anyone in a 30ft line. It require 10 minutes of uninterrupted work to set up, or 1 minute of work to deal half damage, and 25% chance of blinding.

Subliminal Message: At eighth level, any performance that suceeds on a permorf DC 30 a Rockstar gives can cause listeners to be subject to a Mass Suggestion spell. It only affects creatures with less than HD than the Rockstar. Allies are immune.

Bigger than Pelor: At tenth level, A rockstar is one of the most influencial people in the world. He gains a +2 to all Charisma based skills, and all his fans are Helpful instead of Friendly. He also gains a Spell-Like Ability called Power Chord 3/day.

Power Chord: A Rockstar can, with one hard note on his instrument, actually create a literal blast of sound to enemy within 30ft. It deals 1d6/Character level damage, and is a Ranged Touch attack. The damage caps at 20d6 at 20th level. A fortitude save can be made for half damage.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Spellcasting
1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Genre, Minor Fame| +1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Favored Instrument |
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Opener | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Groupies |
5th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Headliner | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th | +4 | +2 | +5 | +5 | |
7th | +5 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Hall of Fame | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +6 | Subliminal Messaging|
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +6 | | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Bigger than Pelor | [/table]

I know it's probably really underpowered, or really overpowered. First PrC. So, any ideas/comments?

Raistlin1040
2008-01-13, 07:37 PM
No one has an opinion?

AugustNights
2008-01-14, 01:22 AM
Well this class looks pretty good to me but it does appear to need some touching up, and clarifying. I'm no great source of rule-information, but I'll offer my 2 cp.

Requirements
Skills: Perform 10 ranks, Bluff or Diplomancy 10 ranks.
Abilities: Must have at least 12 Charisma.

I'd remove the Endurance bonus feat and make it a required feat, along with perhaps Skill Focus [Perform(Chosen Instrument)]. Also I might suggest a special requirement that the rock-star needs to of performed at least 3 successful gigs, where at least 5-10 NPC's attitudes were adjusted 1 step closer to Fanatic via the performance.

Class Skills (6+Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Open Lock, Perform (any), Tumble, Use Magic Device

Why not Gather Information? Spell craft may also look nice.
But those are just suggestions.
Also Knowledge skills might not be a bad idea, I mean, most Rock-songs quote or play off of some strange random bit of knowledge, medical/religious/chemical and such.

Genre: At first level, a Rockstar picks a style of music from the following list; Hard Rock, Metal, and Glam.

I dig this, and how you use it in the progression.

Minor Fame:At first level, a Rockstar is becoming slightly famous around the country. He has a small fanbase, but a devoted one. When associating with a random NPC, roll a d100. On a roll of 91-100, the NPC is a fan. His attitude switches to Friendly, and he will help the Rockstar to the best of his ability. This changes to 81-100 at third level, 76-100 at fifth, 71-100 at seventh, and 61-100 at tenth.

I think there should be something for anti-fans.
You know, people who hate the band or the Rock star because they are someone else's fan or that they just don't like the style? Perhaps it should scale down as the amount of fans scales up?

Favored Instrument: For Slash, it's his custom Les Paul. For Eddie Van Halen, it's Frankenstein. At second level, a Rockstar can choose one of his instruments as a Favored instrument. This instrument gets an automatic +2 on perform checks, and also has the ability to break any Silencing ability on it or allies.

This needs a little clearing up I think.
Perhaps the instrument should grant the Rockstar a +2 enhancement bonus on all perform checks that involve the instrument? Also I feel as if the Silencing negation should work as a 'dispel magic' (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) effect, with a performance check in place of the spell caster check.

A Metal Rockstar gains the following abilites; +2 on Intimidate checks, and the ability to Shaken an enemy on a perform check greater than 20.

A little language clearing would be nice. What sort of action does this take?
I'd suggest something more like...

Metal Rockstar gains the following abilites; +2 on Intimidate checks, and as a standard action the Metal Rockstar may let out a wailing chord with his instrument to frighten a near by target which he can see, with a DC 20 Perform(chosen instrument) check. This is a sonic mind-effecting ability.

A Hard Rock Rockstar gains the following abilities;+2 on Diplomacy or Bluff (Whichever is higher. If equal, player chooses) and the ability to use his instrument as a weapon. It is non-magical (Unless already anhanced) It is weilded 2-handed and deals 2d8 damage.

I dig this, why not let the player choose either way.
The weapon seems a little strong, perhaps scale that down to at least 2d6, and give it a weapon type and critical modifier.

A Glam Rockstar gains the following abilities;+2 on Disguise checks, and gains a makeshift breath weapon. If the Rockstar has access to any fire (torch, flaming weapon, ect), he can create a fire attack. It deals 4d6 fire damage, and is a 10-foot cone. It provokes and Attack of Opportunity. It snuffs out the fire if it is non-magical.

Reflex save on the breath weapon would be good. Perhaps 10+Half the Rockstar's level+(con/maybe Cha). This should also have a limit of some sort, once a day or something along those lines, or deal damage back to the Glam-star.

Groupies: At fourth level, a rockstar gains the Leadership feat, but only with regards to Followers. If the Rockstar already has this feat, he gets a +2 bonus to his Leadership score instead.

This is good, may want to specify that only Fans can be followers or something like that.

Headliner: At fifth level, a Rockstar played enough gigs to know how to conserve energy. He only requiers 4 hours of sleep a day (Or 2 hours of trance if an elf), and 2/3 as much food and water. He also gains the Endurance feat as a bonus feat.

I don't like the bonus feat here, but I already suggested it be a pre-req. *shrug* Again this is all just my opinion.

Hall of Fame: At seventh level, a rockstar is incredibly famous. He has hordes of fans, and is widely recognized as an amazing musician. He gains a permanent +2 to his Perform skill, a +2 to his Leadership score, and an ability based on style.

How about a name for that bonus, or a note that it stacks with the Instrument's bonus. Same thing for the Leadership skill, what with the stacking with the other +2 Leadership bonus.

Metal: Can cause Fear to an number of enemies equal to his character level +5 on a perform check that exceeds 30.

This could be cleaned up a little, and Character level+5 is quite a few. Maybe...

A Metal Rockstar can now Frighten scores of targets with his fearsome performances. With a DC 30 performance check the Rockstar can cause Fear to any number of HD of creatures up to his Character level+5 of creatures that can hear him. This is a sonic and Mind-effecting ability.

Hard Rock: Can drown out any sound with 10ft/character level. There is a 25% chance a spellcaster will fail his spell, and verbal communication is impossible. Can do this 2 rounds/Rockstar Level/Day.

That first line I'd clean up, something like...
Can drown out any sound within a 10ft/character level
radius of the Rockstar.

Also I would note that the whole spellcaster bit only works for spells with verbal components.

Glam: Can create a pyrotechnics display with 500gp worth of materials. This display has a 50% chance of temporarily blinding anyone who looks directly at it, and can be set to move as a projectile weapon, dealing 1d8/Rockstar level to anyone in a 30ft line.

Perhaps require 10 minutes of uninterrupted work to set up, or perhaps 1 minute of work to deal half damage, and 25% chance of blinding.

Subliminal Message: At eighth level, any performance a Rockstar gives can cause listeners to be subject to a Mass Suggestion spell. It only affects creatures with less than HD than the Rockstar, and has a 25% chance on working on each creature. Allies are immune.

Sooner than a bard, but less effective. Interesting.
I'd make it DC based, however I think adding a DC and the percent chance nerfs this ability massively.
I couldn't say either way...

Bigger than Pelor: At tenth level, A rockstar is one of the most influencial people in the world. He gains a +2 to all Charisma based skills, and all his fans are Helpful instead of Friendly. He also gains a Spell-Like Ability called Power Chord 3/day.

Power Chord: A Rockstar can, with one hard note on his instrument, actually create a literal blast of sound to enemy within 30ft. It deals 1d6/Character level damage, and is a Ranged Touch attack.

Power Chord seems like it should be gained earlier on. Or be a clearly separate
ability.

Also another quick note, what about Bardic Music ability?
Perhaps allow the option of getting half spellcasting or having Rockstar levels stack with Bard levels for purposes of Bardic Music?

Anywhat, thats my 2 cp.
Take it all with a Colossal sized grain of salt.

Hazkali
2008-01-14, 03:20 AM
Interesting...

Firstly, prerequisite ability scores shouldn't really be used. I'd remove the "Cha 12" and maybe replace it with the Leadership feat (possibly, just a suggestion).

Secondly, you're missing ability and bonus types in a lot of cases.

Thirdly, what happens to the favoured instrument if it is broken or lost? Can the star select a new instrument? In what time period? Is there an XP or other penalty, in the case of familiars and suchlike?

Raistlin1040
2008-01-14, 07:51 PM
I touched it up a bit. Better?

Vespe Ratavo
2008-01-15, 09:16 PM
Dude...this is quite frankly, the rockinest prestige class I have ever seen. I do have one suggestion though....perhaps modify the NPC roll so there is a possibility of the Rock Star becoming hated? You know, like overprotective parents and the like who think Rock and Roll is Nerull's work.

I think I'll use the class for Vespe in the AMEN/HALO d20. :smallbiggrin: (That is, of course, if you don't mind).

Hmm...you think Vespe is Metal, Hard Rock, or Glam?

paigeoliver
2008-01-16, 03:45 AM
Ok first a general note.

I would ditch spellcasting progression and beef up the other abilities of the class. A rockstar isn't a caster, although they might have a stratocaster or telecaster. :smallbiggrin:

Secondly, the minor fame ability adds a needless extra dice roll to the game. You could mathematically examine what that is doing and turn it into a diplomacy bonus fairly easily. Also, I am assuming this is ignoring all possible reality of a D&D like world when it comes to fame. As in gaining fame is nearly impossible in a world without a media unless you happen to be the king or a queen.

Also, your skill list is too narrow for a 6 per level class, and open lock isn't appropriate. I would however add Knowledge (Geography, Local, and Nobility), Gather Information, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive and Sleight of Hand as class skills, with Balance, Ride and Spot being possibly additions (class travels a lot, hence ride, balance normally goes along with tumble and Spot normally goes with listen).

Raistlin1040
2008-01-16, 05:19 PM
I think they need Spellcasting because the most likely candidate for this class is a Bard, who're already kind of weak, so taking away spellcasting might hurt them too much.

@ Vespe: Only if I get a few extra Character levels to take the class as well. You know, since I invented it.

Vespe Ratavo
2008-01-16, 06:30 PM
I think they need Spellcasting because the most likely candidate for this class is a Bard, who're already kind of weak, so taking away spellcasting might hurt them too much.

@ Vespe: Only if I get a few extra Character levels to take the class as well. You know, since I invented it.

Hmm...we'll see.

Gestalt? :smalltongue:

Also, the "instrument as a weapon" ability seems to imply that your instrument is a guitar, bass, keytar, or similar. What about drums (or more likely, drum sticks) ? Microphone (perhaps used as some kind of flail) ?

Raistlin1040
2008-01-16, 06:42 PM
Well it's unlikely a midieval bard would use a drum set. The most common weapon would probably be a lute (smiliar to a guitar). If they use another instrument, the instrument would have to be changed mechanically.

Vespe Ratavo
2008-01-20, 01:20 AM
Hey...um...does the Power Chord mean character level as in ALL LEVELS, or as in Rock Star levels? Because if its' the first, then it gets REALLY unbalanced once you go epic...and does it allow a saving throw? :smallconfused:

Raistlin1040
2008-01-20, 01:39 AM
I meant all levels, but it caps at 20d6. I'll need to add that in. As for saving throw, maybe a Fort half?

Vespe Ratavo
2008-01-20, 02:04 AM
Hmm...yeah, sounds about right.

Raistlin1040
2008-01-21, 03:34 PM
That's what I thought.

Cleaned up some stuff.