PDA

View Full Version : Sinestro Corps Ending (naturally spoilers)

W Herzog Zwei
2007-12-15, 04:56 AM
Whoo, boy. I do not know where to begin...

Just finished reading the final part of the Sinestro Corps storyline, and I must say the best big storlyline of 2007 in mainstream books ended with the single best issue of 2007. This was just mindbendingly awesome stuff, perfect in all ways and a true way of showing how to pull of an epic crossover storyline that is actually confined in only a few books instead of making us buy every damn book the company publishes to make a head or tail out of it. But I digress...

We now got the beginnings of Seven Corps of Lanterns - willpower, fear, hate, love, compassion, greed and hope that has been hinted at earlier in the storyline. And the birth of the Black Lantern (of death, apparently). The whole GL mythos has risen to the next level with this and am having high hopes for the storylines leading to the Blackest Night in 2009.

It's been a long time since I have been this stoked about a mainstream superhero book (well, Thor's return under JMS gets close). If anyone with even a slight interest in scifi/superhero comics has not yet read the storyline, I heartily recommend picking this up when it hits Trades...

Grod_The_Giant
2007-12-18, 03:26 PM
I am totally going to snatch it up the second it hits trades. I think GL: Rebirth was possibly the greatest comic I've ever read, and Sinestro Corp sounds like its full of even more awesomeness. I've been following it online and...wow. Just wow.

DC needs to clone Geoff Johns, like, several dozen times. And have him write everything important.

Bluelantern
2007-12-19, 10:59 PM
Curse you! Curse everyone who don't need to wait a year to see those comics in they country :smallmad:

lol, just kidding. Anyway. Seven Corps? and a Zombie Corps? I am drolling...

T.Titan
2007-12-20, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah, this one rocked... first really good big event since i started reading comics regularly imo. Now i'm hoping Messiah Complex won't have a disappointing ending...

Curse you! Curse everyone who don't need to wait a year to see those comics in they country :smallmad:

*cough*d/l*cough*

ALOR
2007-12-20, 10:13 AM
oh wow, more power rings??? sweet!! I don't usally read DC but I will have to pick up the TPB when it comes out.

UglyPanda
2007-12-20, 03:29 PM
Eight corps seems a bit ridiculous. I loved two, was okay with three, kinda saw four coming, but what emotions are left?

Red/Pink - Love - Zamarons
Orange - ?
Yellow - Fear - Sinestro Corps
Green - Willpower - Regular Corps
Blue - Hope - Ganthet & Sayd
Indigo - ?
Purple - ?
Black - Unknown - Antimonitor

It was still a great storyline though.

ALOR
2007-12-20, 03:54 PM
Eight corps seems a bit ridiculous. I loved two, was okay with three, kinda saw four coming, but what emotions are left?

Red/Pink - Love - Zamarons
Orange - ?
Yellow - Fear - Sinestro Corps
Green - Willpower - Regular Corps
Blue - Hope - Ganthet & Sayd
Indigo - ?
Purple - ?
Black - Unknown - Antimonitor

It was still a great storyline though.

I looked it up on wiki earlier and this is what they said
red- rage
orange-greed
yellow-fear
green- willpower
blue- hope
indigo- ??
purple- love
black- death

can't remember what indigo was off hand

Anung Un Rama
2007-12-20, 03:55 PM
Pink-Love (zamorans)
Orange-Avarice e.g. greed
Yellow-Fear (sinestro corps)
Green-Willpower (gaurdians)
Blue-Hope (ganthet and sayd)
Indigo-Compassion (they dont actuaally have riings, they have staffs)
Red-Hate
Black- Death? (anti-monitor. in preview for blackest night, it mentions that only the dead can wield the black rings.)

Blue Paladin
2007-12-20, 05:36 PM
I think it's supposed to be:
Red - Rage (group unknown, Guardian-entity unknown)
Orange - Avarice (group unknown, Guardian-entity unknown)
Yellow - Fear (Sinestro Corps, Guardian-entity was Anti-Monitor)
Green - Willpower (Green Lantern Corps, Guardians of the Universe)
Blue - Hope (group unknown, Ganthet & Sayd)
Indigo - Compassion (group unknown, Guardian-entity unknown)
Purple - Love (Star Sapphire Corps, Zamarons)

That last post had me thinking out loud. Black (not actually ring-shaped) rings were used by The Corpse, the GL black-ops unit.

If Black is for the dead, maybe the Guardian behind the Black Lantern would be Krona, or maybe Nekron; it would make sense, all things considered. It would also appear the Anti-Monitor no longer is a Guardian-type entity, but is the Central Battery for the Black (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=139577).

2007-12-20, 05:41 PM
Um. I haven't read it, but I hear Anti-Monitor went down pretty easily.

That sort of makes me mad, since before it took at least three supermen and one superwoman to even hurt him.

Although if I'm wrong, please disregard that.

Blue Paladin
2007-12-20, 06:47 PM
As I understand it, it wasn't the true Anti-Monitor of old (CoIE). It's one of the 52 Monitors (1 per universe), and he's "gone rogue" or whatever you want to call it. So he wasn't nearly as powerful as the original. AFAIK.

assassin8
2007-12-20, 10:13 PM
the image on the black ring is that of the black hand a green lantern villian who is basicly like a zombie now

T.Titan
2007-12-21, 10:35 AM
No, it's the old Anti-monitor... but he wasn't fully regenerated or something. And even then he survived War World falling and blowing up on him only to have Emoboy-Prime crush what was left of his armour and throw him in space...

As for the colors (ignore the white one):

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/GuichoYojimbo/LANTERNCORPSSYMBOLS.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/Pcm979/LANTERNCORPSSYMBOLS.jpg

assassin8
2007-12-21, 02:11 PM
I believe black is actually sorrow

T.Titan
2007-12-21, 04:47 PM
No, only the rainbow colors represent emotions... the black lanterns are undead powered by what was lft of the anti-monitor that got turned into a power battery.

W Herzog Zwei
2007-12-21, 04:58 PM
Brilliant move by Johns - the Black Lantern logo is the same Blackhand has - talk about foreshadowing. There is a reason I think this is the best superhero comic currently running.

And it ain't only Hal.

Maglad
2007-12-21, 05:13 PM
4chan.org, the /co/mics and cartoons board. We discussed all this as it happened, and even posted the pages. Even so, im still going to try to buy the ptb when/if it someday does reach my country.

...in like 20 years or so, we just got the death of superman

2007-12-21, 11:19 PM
So.

Whats the difference between love and compassion?

And, to a lesser extent, hate and avarice?

T.Titan
2007-12-22, 08:28 AM
So.

And, to a lesser extent, hate and avarice?

Ever saw Star Sapphire?! No compassion there.

And Avarice = greed... way different then hate.

2007-12-22, 04:46 PM
Ever saw Star Sapphire?!

No..........

Grod_The_Giant
2007-12-24, 11:16 PM
Ironically, when I first heard of the 4 emotion corps (hope/will/love/fear), I thought of this:
red: anger
orange: greed
yellow: fear
green: will
blue: hope
purple: love
black: despair

also, does anyone else think Ganthet founding the "hope" core is ironic? In Rebirth, Kyle began to say "you better hope-" and Ganthet said "hope is useless against fear, Green Lantern Kyle Rayner. Willpower is our only weapon."
...man, that was the first and only time I've seen Guardians be badass.

T.Titan
2007-12-25, 06:47 PM
orange: greed

Why?! That's the one that puzzles me... why is greed orange?

And despair = fear. Black is Lack of Emotion, that's why it's members are the dead.

ALOR
2007-12-26, 09:51 AM

Well probably becasue green was already taken with the original green lanterns. I mean green is pretty much associated with greed. Other than not having another option as far as color goes I have no idea.

T.Titan
2007-12-26, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering why Grod picked it too...

And Green is envy as i recall... closer then orange though.

Faramir
2008-01-25, 04:41 AM
So.

I have no idea if this is what they base it on but in Tibetan Buddhist teachings the distinction is drawn that love is wishing other beings to be happy whereas compassion is wishing other beings to be free from suffering. Both are considered necessary.

Elliot Kane
2008-01-25, 05:43 PM
I loved it. Thought it was totally awesome from beginning to end. The best mainstream crossover in many a year (Which excludes Seven Soldiers, of course ;)) from either major company.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-01-25, 11:20 PM

And despair = fear. Black is Lack of Emotion, that's why it's members are the dead.

despair= lack of hope. And I picked orange for greed because it was the only color of the rainbow left.

T.Titan
2008-01-27, 06:36 AM
despair= lack of hope.

Lack of an emotion isn't an emotion in itself... Despair = fear without hope...

And I picked orange for greed because it was the only color of the rainbow left.

yeah, looks like that's what the writer did too.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-02-01, 03:37 PM
Lack of an emotion isn't an emotion in itself... Despair = fear without hope...

A-hem. I beg to differ:

Despair is the loss of hope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despair)

intransitive verb: to lose all hope or confidence <despair of winning> (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/despair)

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 10:32 AM
Lets just ignore the fact that Will isn't even an emotion.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-05, 03:17 AM
Guess Courage and Will got mixed up :P

W Herzog Zwei
2008-02-05, 07:03 AM
Lets just ignore the fact that Will isn't even an emotion.

Will isn't supposed to be an emotion. It's the thing in the middle of the three pairs of more or less opposite emotions - love/hate, hope/fear and compassion/avarice. The first time we saw the other lanterns (not all of them were introduced yet, but fear and love at least were) the green one was placed in the middle of the ring of other lanterns in the panel.

So it is six "emotions", pure willpower in the middle, the death/lack of emotion in black and whatever white will represent (combined emotions? life?) later on.