PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane [Prestige] [Needs work]

Reinboom
2007-12-15, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm currently in a bind with this one. I tried to make it in the style of my Mountain (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Mountain) prestige class, but, am going in circles trying to make it more flavored, and trying to balance it. Any suggestions appreciated.

The idea is make a harmonious combine to 'wind' designed for a rogue, ranger, monk, or bard.

The rough work:
Hurricane
"I am the calm before the storm for which you shall not survive." — The Assassin Huushi, a Hurricane

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Increased Movement, Faster Initiative

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Evasion

3rd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Force of the Wind (Speed), Calm of the Wind (Quick)

4th|
+3|
+0|
+4|
+4|Force of the Wind (Squall), Calm of the Wind (Serene)

5th|
+3|
+0|
+4|
+4|Force of the Wind (Swift), Calm of the Wind (Fleet)

6th|
+4|
+0|
+5|
+5|Force of the Wind (Strike), Calm of the Wind (Harmony)

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8
Class Skills:
Balance (Dex) ,Climb (Str) ,Diplomacy (Cha) ,Escape Artist (Dex) ,Hide (Dex) ,Intimidate (Cha) ,Jump (Str) ,Listen (Wis) ,Move Silently (Dex) ,Perform (Cha) ,Sense Motive (Wis) ,Spot (Wis) , and Tumble (Dex) .
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Requirements
To qualify to become an hurricane, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Character Level: 8
Feats: Run, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, and Iron Will

A character may also have a base reflex save of +6 instead of the Lightning Reflexes feat and/or a base will save of +6 instead of the Iron Will feat.

Class Features
All of the following are features of the hurricane prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hurricanes gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Fast Movement (Ex): A hurricane moves faster than most of her kind, flowing in speed with the force of the winds, guiding her in all travels. All her movement speeds are faster by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the hurricane’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn. The effects of this benefit replaces abilities of the same name when it would be most beneficial, but does not stack with them.

Faster Initiative (Ex): A hurricane is quick to act, always moving and always present usually before even the enemy is aware. The hurricane gets a bonus to her initiative equal to her hurricane levels.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a hurricane can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with the agility of the wind. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the hurricane is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless hurricane does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Calm and Force of the Wind (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a hurricane begins the true stages of becoming at one with the powers of the wind. Each level offers a new ability based on this awakening. She does not gain these benefits while wearing medium or heavy armor or while having a heavy load.

Force (Speed): At 3rd level, the hurricane can quickly move itself within a short snap of time. She is able to take an additional 5-foot step each round beyond the first for that round. This additional 5-foot step follows the same restrictions as the first.

Calm (Fleet): At 3rd level, the hurricane has managed to focus her capabilities into fleetness of foot. She gains a permanent +2 dodge bonus to AC. This bonus does not apply whenever the Hurricane is denied her dex bonus to her ac.

Force (Squall): At 4th level, the hurricane can focus itself to make a quick burst of speed. By using a swift action up to once per minute, the hurricane can gain a free move action and a +30 feet increase to all forms of movement for that round.

Calm (Quick): At 4th level, the hurricane never relieves itself from active motion. While she is conscious and not helpless, she never automatically fails a reflex save with a natural 1.

Force (Swift): At 5th level, a hurricane can quickly locate and strike upon a foe faster than many could react, as long as she has the swiftness of the wind behind her. Whenever a hurricane moves more than 20 feet in a round by means of one of her own movement speeds, all opponents she attempts to attack until the end of her turn are considered flat-footed against her.

Calm (Serene): At 5th level, the hurricane reaches a point of constant mental acuity. While she is conscious, she never automatically fails a will save with a natural 1.

Force (Strike): At 6th level, a class is able to deal immense damage with incredible speed. She adds 1/4th of her base reflex save to her attack roll, rounded up and adds half her base reflex save, rounded up, to her damage rolls.

Calm (Harmony): At 6th level, a class has reached a point of harmony with their reflexes, gaining the ability to precisely focus her willpower to stay alert and active. Once per minute as a swift action, she may add her base will save to both her AC and reflex saves as a dodge bonus. This bonus persists for 1 round.

TheLogman
2007-12-16, 10:45 AM
I suggest maybe more hurricane-related attacks.

Whirlwind Attack and Spring Attack would fit nicely
Maybe some sort of Long-Distance Bull Rush?
Maybe you could also get some sort of Personal Wind Sphere, like Wind Wall, but all around. Or would that be too powerful?

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-16, 11:39 AM
Calm (Fleet): At 3rd level, the hurricane has managed to focus her capabilities into fleetness of foot. She gains a permanent +2 dodge bonus to AC.

Force (Squall): At 4th level, the hurricane can focus itself to make a quick burst of speed. By using a swift action up to once per minute, the hurricane can gain a free move action and a +30 feet increase to all forms of movement for that round.

Force (Swift): At 5th level, a hurricane can quickly locate and strike upon a foe faster than many could react, as long as she has the swiftness of the wind behind her. Whenever a hurricane moves more than 20 feet in a round by means of one of her own movement speeds, all opponents she attempts to attack that round are considered flat-footed against her.

Force (Strike): At 6th level, a class is able to deal immense damage with incredible speed. She adds half her base reflex save to her attack rolls, and her entire base reflex save to her melee damage rolls.

Squall, in my opinion, would benifit from a uses/day limit, instead of 1/min.

Fleet is listed as a pernament Dodge bonus. That means a flatfooted, helpless player gets a dodge bonus? Add something like " This bonus does not apply whenever the Hurricane is denied their dex bonus to their ac."

The Swift ability makes this a pure Rogue lovers class. Also, these would apply to other attacks as well; according to your wording, if the hurricane gets an AoO in a round in which they move more than 20ft, then the person the moves and gets actions is still flatfooted. Maybe make it least untill the end of their turn instead.

Force strike... Sweet jeebus. Just having to qualify for this class without the feats, at the max level, +5 to attack, +11 to damage. so a +5 weapon? at level 14.

Can you imagine a TWF rogue taking this? +10/5 BA at level 14, +5 to hit from class, all my oppoents are always flatfooted to me, as long as I move, +11 damage from class.
It seems kind of broken to start with, but add a couple of feats, and this class is Redonkulous.

Reinboom
2007-12-16, 06:36 PM
I suggest maybe more hurricane-related attacks.

Whirlwind Attack and Spring Attack would fit nicely
Maybe some sort of Long-Distance Bull Rush?
Maybe you could also get some sort of Personal Wind Sphere, like Wind Wall, but all around. Or would that be too powerful?

I was thinking about adding a deflect arrows ability. I don't like wind wall (and is part of the list of things I remove from my games).
The other feats? Spring attack -would- fit nicely in with this. However, I didn't want to force it.
Perhaps a bonus feat at 2nd level that gives one of: dodge, mobility, spring attack, combat reflexes, improved unarmed strike, deflect arrows, snatch arrows, two-weapon fighting, improved two-weapon fighting, greater two-weapon fighting, or weapon finesse? (that you qualify for)

-snip-

I won't do the /day. I rather dislike /day mechanics, in general - and basically set up this mechanic as a 1/encounter free swift (that can be used with a full attack). or just 1/encounter quickly get into the fight (or out of). I don't want this spammed or focused on in the 'one big fight of the day'.

Force Strike - by the time they get it, they should have about ~13 or ~14 reflex. (if they nabbed 2 levels of another prestige class, that is).
They are losing at least 3 levels of sneak attack. Or, 10.5 damage conditional.

Hm, it needs a bit of weakening, especially since it scales later on. Perhaps if I cut it reflex - 3, however, I wanted to avoid arbitrary numbers.

The flatfooted I tried to balance by forcing movement - no full attack. Hmm.
I will add the until end of turn, however, thank you.

Til then, thank you for the input, and modified!

-Edit-
Or just half of base reflex save, rounded up. That would work. *modified!*