PDA

View Full Version : The Grinder Group 2



Pages : [1] 2

Sxoa
2007-12-16, 01:07 PM
You find yourself standing in the basement, finding the secret entrance to the Grinder after a long journey has brought you here. You do not know what perils and horrors await you, but the promise of power is great. You all have your own reasons for being here, but you all stand ready to take the plunge.

Before you stands a large opalescent sphere, the portal entrance to grinder.

Where you are now matters far less than where you are going to be. You might be in the city of doors or somewhere else.

Some rules of posting:
I'd like you to put the first part of the post in character. Put necessary dice rolls and what not in a spoiler box. See Belial the Leveler's Dungeonkeeper fight threads for an example if you don't understand.

Post a link to your character sheet, and your statblock(s) in your first post.

Most of your rolls do; sometimes though I'll be rolling for you if you're not aware of something.

Uhhh, that's all I can think of right now, but if I change anything I'll put it in the post where I change it and here.


Good luck!

Kat Steel
2007-12-16, 04:17 PM
Martina

The she-elf stands before the "DOOR", her right index finger resting on her lips in a thoughtfull frame of mind, in her left hand she hold a composite long bow. Her long coppery red hair is pinned out of her face, showing a long scars along her right cheek.

She turns towards the group and her emerald green eyes scan the small group gathered there. She plucks up her courage and steps forward and adresses the group.

"Hi all, I don't think any of us have meet or worked together in the past, but i feel that if we are all to survive this challange we need to work together, so it might be a good idea if we got to know each others basic skills before we step through.

My name is Martina, I'm an archer, I also have some skills in tracking and searching, I'm pretty good at disarming traps, I have a few spells available but most are only useful with my bow.

What about you guys?"



Martina can be found here (http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler/view.php?id=148)

Name - Martina
Alignment - CN; Type (subtypes) - Elf (Wood)
Initiative - +8 ; Senses - low light vision
Languages - Common, Elven, Sylvan, Draconic
_______________________________
AC - 33, touch - 23, flat-footed - 33
relevant special abilities - Evasion, Unncanny Dodge, Trapfinnding, Trap Sense +1
the break down of AC - 5 (Bracers of Armor) +8 (Dex) + 5 (Amulet of NA) + 5 (Ring of Protection)
Miss Chance
hp - 141; DR
Immune to sleep effects
Resist +2 racial bonus on saving throws against Enhantment spells or effects
SR
Fort - 17, Ref - 24, Will - 15
______________________________
Speed - 40ft;
Melee 18 - 18/13/8
Ranged 22 - 22/17/12
Space/Reach 5/5
Base Atk - 14; Grapple - 18
Atk Options - Manyshot, Rapid Shot
Special Actions 5d6 Sneak attack
______________________________
Abilities - Str 18,Dex 26, Con 19, Int 14, Wis, 14, Cha 8

Special Qualities - Fav Enemy (+2 vs Evil Outsiders), Wild Empathy, Endurance, trapfinding, Sneak attack (+5d6), Evasion, Trap Sense +1, Uncanny Dodge, Spells, Woodland Stride, Lucky Shot, trackless Step, Poison Use, Steady hand, Hide in Plain Sight, Death Attack, Immunity to Poison

Feats - Endurance, Imp Critical, Point Blanc shot, Precise Shot, Imp Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Imp Rapid shot, Many Shot, Track, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Steadfast Determination

Skill ranks - Craft (Bowmaking) +8, DD +21, Hide +20, Jump +5, K(Dung) +1, K(Geo) +1, K(Nature) +5, Listen +20, MS +13, Search +13, Spot +20, Survival +8, Tumble +20

*** I'm not sure if I fileld this out like it's supposed, if i din't please point out my mistakes, so I can correct them ***

Toliudar
2007-12-16, 11:16 PM
Saint Fiona the Unground

The still-young sun priestess stands next to the much larger Ranvor, peering at the portal. She is dressed in silvery plate armour, with a shield already floating nearby. Her voice is husky and musical.

A pleasure, Martina. I am Fiona, and this is the kindly Ranvor. I am fortunate to be a servant of Pelor, and a protector and warrior in my own right.

If we are to be entering such a dangerous place, perhaps we might best try to take a day or two to try to learn some of its secrets from outside.

Here's Fiona's character sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34440) I've switched her from being a persist-o-matic to a quicken-spell-o-matic cleric, largely thanks to Teliron being able to persist everything in sight. We should be able to handle everyone - including the additional Teliron's, animal companions, etc. Here's the spells that she's currently projecting being able to share with the full group:
Lesser Vigor - fast healing 1, all the time.
Protection from Evil - immune to mind control, can't be hit by summoned creatures' natural attacks.
Recitation - +2 luck bonus to attack rolls, saves and AC; +3 if you worship Pelor.
Shield of Faith - +5 deflection bonus to AC
Greater Magic Weapon - +5 enhancement bonus to every weapon you have.
Magic Vestment - +5 enhancement bonus to every armour and shield in the group.
Superior Resistance - +6 resistance bonus to saves
Heroes Feast - immune to poison, +1 morale bonus to attacks, will saves, immunity to fear, 1d8+10 temporary hit points.
Mass Spell Resistance - Spell Resistance 31.
Life's Glory - immune to death effects, energy drain, and any
negative energy effects, plus other special effects from Undead attacks.

As well, I'm thinking I'll have Dance of the Unicorn (creates a pocket of pure air around me) and True Seeing active.

Missing anything major?

I'm shopping for a way to raise my natural armour, perhaps increase mobility (I currently could cast Fly, but would prefer to have flight on tap, so to speak).

Also, a possible tactic to help our casters be able to contribute more on the first day of action. Say we're preparing spells in the early morning - arbitrarily, 6am. We wait until about 8pm to start casting the buffs, go to sleep, and wake up in the morning, with the buffs still active, to prepare a whole other set of spells (and perhaps a backup set of the key buffs, in case we're hit with spell removers). This limits us to about 10-12 hours of activity every two days, but - well, at least to start off with - we're in no hurry. Thoughts?

Seribro
2007-12-17, 08:02 AM
"A pleasure indeed it is to travel with such fine ladies. Forgive and old man for enjoying the sight ever so now and then, for it has been a while since I traveled with such fine company. They call me
Memphis (http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler/view.php?id=144) and I am a mage of the arcane order. My specialty is the alteration of reality and although I may not be the flashieist type of wizard, my spells will most likely prove themselves quite usefull at avoiding particulairly dangerous encouters. If the need for such is high, I can use my magics to take on the forms of several powerfull creatures in order to fend of bigger opponents. Oh and this is Weasel, my little rascal. He is a bit of a coward so he won't be joining much in the battles, but I carry him around anyways. You comfortable back there?"
a little furry head pops out of the wizards backpack and looks around with shifty little eyes before disappearing back into the leather again.



Memphis
Deep Imaskari Wizard (Transmutation) 3 / Master Specialst 6 / Mage of the Arcane Order 5 / Archmage 4
NG Humanoid
Initiative -3; Senses: low light vision, spot 14, listen 14, arcane sight
Languages: Common, Raushaum, Terran, Aquan, Undercommon, Draconic, Abysal, Infernal
_____________________________
AC: 25, touch 16, flat-footed 23; dodge bonus from cautious trait included
10 +5 armor (robe of the archmagi) +2 force shield (ring) +2 DEX +3 Deflection (bracers of protection) +1 dodge (trait) +2 natural armor (shirt)
hp 100 (+18 if minor shifting is used); DR (if Applicable)
SR 18
Fort 12, Ref 13, Will 18 -1 to fear saves
______________________________
Speed:30ft land; 60ft fly; Minor Shifting +5 for all modes
Melee attack: +7 unarmed 1d3 subd full attack: +7/+2 unarmed 1d3 subd
Ranged attack: +10 ranged full attack: +10/+5
Space/Reach: 5/5
Base Atk: +8/+3 ; Grapple: 7
Atk Options: Spells: 6/10/9/9/9/4/8/7/5/5
Spell-like abilities:at will summon large elemental, dimentional jaunt, minor shifting; passwall 4/day; disintegrate 4/day; Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death 2/day
Special Actions:Call spell 9 levels/day
______________________________
Abilities: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 16 / Int 36 / Wis 14 / Cha 9
Special Qualities:Spell Clutch 1/day
1/campaign reincarnate, stone to flesh, death ward
Feats: spell focus [transmutation]&[conjuration]; greater spell focus [transmutation]; skill focus[spellcraft]; sudden widen; sudden maximize; cooperative spell; dimensional jaunt; minor shifting; summon elemental; augment summoning; scribe scroll; action surge
Skills: spellcraft +33, search +30, knowledge [arcana] +25, concentration +24, knowledge [nature/religion/planes] +20, decipher script +16, knowledge [architecture/dungeoneering/geographie/history/local/nobility] +15, tumble 12
_______________________________
Equipment:
+6 INT Headband of Intelect
+4 CON Periapt of health
+4 DEX Gloves of dexterity
Robe of the Archmagi
+2 AC Vestment of natural armor
+3 AC Bracers of Protection
+2 AC Ring of force Shield
Wings of Flying
Ring of Sustenance
Metamagic Rod [Empower]
2 spellbooks
backpack
crystal vials 20
bags of diamond dust 6
bags of gold dust 20 (each with a tiny sheet of iron in it)
pearls 10
strips of iveroy 4
sets of incense 6


Marut form
NG Construct
Initiative +1; Senses: listen 15; spot 15; Low Light Vision; Dark Vision 60ft
Languages: Common, Raushaum, Terran, Aquan, Undercommon, Draconic, Abysal, Infernal
_____________________________
AC: 34, touch 10, flat-footed 33;
10 -1 size +8 armor +1 DEX +16 natural armor
hp 150 DR: 15/chaotic
Immune: all constructs standard immunities
SR: 25
Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 7
______________________________
Speed:30ft land
Melee attack: +22 slam 2d6+12+3d6 electric or sonic
full attack: +22 slam 2d6+12+3d6 electric; +22 slam 2d6+12+3d6 sonic
Space/Reach: 10/10
Base Atk: 11 ; Grapple: 27
Atk Options: impr. bull rush, awesome blow, power attack, fists of thunder and lightning (thunder fist causes deafness, lightning fist causes blindness (Fort save DC31 for each))
Special Actions: spell-like abilities 1/casting-air walk, dimension door, fear (DC13), greater command (DC14), locate creature, true seeing
______________________________
Abilities Str 35 / Dex 13 / Con - / Int 36 / Wis 14 / Cha 9
Special Qualities fast healing 10
Feats impr. bull rush, awesome blow, power attack, ability focus [fists], combat casting, great fortitude
Skills: concentration +13, listen & spot 15
_______________________________
Equipment:
full plate armor

TheMeanDM
2007-12-17, 08:16 AM
fixing my PC's equipment, since wish wasn't an option.

will be done in a couple hours this morning, and then re-edit/re-post here.

the weekend was as chaotic as pandemonium !

GryffonDurime
2007-12-17, 12:54 PM
A man approaches the entrance, and you can just make out hints of shiny purple scales beneath the layers of shawls, scarves, and silks. Even for a mage, he seems to be quite eccentrically and ornately dressed. Six tiny duplicates of himself wriggle about on his shoulders, each a different color from the next.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Teliron Anlumen...likewise a magic-worker, through not quite a wizard. There--" he motions to his duplicates, "are my...well, I call them eidolons. The term is not specific to them, but...I would like it if you would each take one. No worries, they're quite hardy, they can help to protect you, and, if you can use magic, I think you'll find them to be quite the boon in your castings."

He lists them off: Fury, Joy, Serenity, Freedom, Intellect, and Sympathy.

While his new friends decide amoungst themselves, Teliron begins to ready his daily spells.


Teliron's Stat Blocks, and the blocks for his mini-Rons, are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3650979&postcount=194). Teliron's character sheet proper is here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34402)

I have a major question that will define how messy every morning will be: can one take 10 on a Spellcraft check with the Incantatrix ability?

Kat Steel
2007-12-17, 02:03 PM
Martina

The elf maiden nods to the other woman, Saint Fiona and looks at Ranvor (what/who is Ranvon?)

She arches her eyebrow at Menphis' comment about "fine ladies", her fingers trail the scar on her face, the only part of her body actually showing.

The Druid she takes in stride (until The Mean DM has posted and I'll react then).

When Teliron approaches the group she supresses a smile, his eccentric clothing and the eidolons crowding just bring out the childish side of her.

"So do your "Eidolons'" names have anything to do with their personality or was it what you though up at the time?"

Sxoa
2007-12-17, 02:33 PM
Teliron's Stat Blocks, and the blocks for his mini-Rons, are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3650979&postcount=194). Teliron's character sheet proper is here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34402)

I have a major question that will define how messy every morning will be: can one take 10 on a Spellcraft check with the Incantatrix ability? as long as you're not being rushed, I believe you can take 10. You guys may proceed through the portal or wait as you will.

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 03:32 PM
Saint Fiona

The bold young woman steps forward to shake hands with her new companions. She is forthright with Memphis, and smiles broadly at Teliron. A bit tentatively, she holds out her hand to accept one of the the Eidolons.

These are fascinating, don't you think, Ranvor? Are they as intelligent and talented as you, sir, or are they, erm, pets?

Ranvor is Douglas' character, a human crusader/master of 9. He and Fiona have worked together before.

douglas
2007-12-17, 03:53 PM
The large man at Fiona's side bows politely. "Ranvor, man at arms and bane of evil at your service. This sword on my back has slain many a foul fiend, and I look forward to slaying many more. I am pleased to meet you all, and I trust we will face the dangers ahead together."

He turns to the many-colored ensemble of Telirons. "If one of these is to accompany each of us, I'm a bit partial to Fury. I leave the spellcasting to Fiona here, but I won't say no to having an extra person to watch my back. Are they readily expendable, or does it take significant effort to replace them?"

Please don't make us start without TheMeanDM.

My character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34730).

Stat block:
Ranvor
Human Crusader 13/Master of Nine 5
Lawful Good; Humanoid (human)
Initiative +7; Senses (blindsense 30' when in Hearing the Air stance)
Languages: Common
_____________________________
AC 46, touch 21, flat-footed 40; Dodge, Blind-Fight, Pearl of Black Doubt stance (each miss adds +2 AC until my turn when stance is active)
(10 base + 13 armor + 7 shield + 3 dex + 5 deflection + 5 natural armor + 3 luck)
hp 207 (13d10+5d8)
Immune: Fear, Poison, charms and compulsions that grant ongoing control, death magic and negative energy, grappling, magical movement impairment
SR 31
Fire resist 5
Fort 29, Ref 22, Will 26
______________________________
Speed 20 land, 40 fly
Melee +36 greatsword (36/36/31/26/21) for 2d6+21 damage
+36 shield bash for 1d4+17 damage
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Base Atk 16; Grapple immune (25 if ring suppressed)
Atk Options/Special Actions:
The first 20 damage I take each round goes into a delayed damage pool and doesn't actually hurt me until the next round. For each 5 points of damage in the pool, I get +1 attack and damage.

If a spell has a save and I succeed on it, the spell has no effect at all on me. Spells with reflex saves that do something other than reduce the damage by half are the only exception.

+2 attack and +6 damage when using a strike.

Ranvor cannot use any one maneuver more than once every three rounds. The details are a little more complicated, but that's a simple close approximation.

His maneuvers allow him to:
Strikes (standard or full round action):
1) Hit someone and, if it hits, cast Heal on a party member at the same time.
2) Full Attack. Twice.
3) Charge in a group with other party members. The other party members spend only an immediate action to come along, and get bonus damage for the charge. If at least two people hit, the target is stunned for one round.
4) Full Attack with an extra attack.

Mobility (swift action):
1) Teleport 50'. Requires line of effect and line of sight.
2) Take a move action.

Boosts (swift action):
1) Get 1d6+18 bonus fire damage for one round.

Counters (immediate action):
1) Get a +18 bonus to one save
2) Shield bash someone to make an attack miss. Can be done in response to the attack he wants to miss.
3) Replace his AC with an attack roll for one attack.

Miscellaneous:
1) End one selected spell or effect with a duration of 1 or more rounds that is currently affecting him.

Stances:
He can have any one of these active at any given time. Switching requires a swift action normally, but can be done as part of using a counter (see above) thanks to a Master of Nine class ability. He can have two active simultaneously for 10 rounds per day.
1) One counter per round does not require an action. This leaves next round's swift action available for boosts, etc., or allows using two counters in the same round.
2) Make a fort save to prevent damage dropping me below 1 hp. DC = how far below 0 the blow would put me. Stance ends after three uses of this ability but can be restarted by activating the stance again (swift action or part of a counter).
3) +18 damage to all charge attacks by party members.
4) Each successful attack by me heals a party member of 2 damage.
5) +9 damage to me and flanking ally when flanking a foe.
6) Each time someone misses me, my AC increases by 2 until my turn starts.
7) I have blindsense 30'.
______________________________
Abilities (Str 28, Dex 16, Con 22, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 20)
Feats
Dodge, Blind-Fight, Adaptive Style, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, Martial Study x3, Extra Granted Maneuver, Improved Shield Bash
Skills
Balance 11, Intimidate 26, Jump 28, Martial Lore 20, Tumble 22
_______________________________
Equipment:
Belt of Giant Strength +6 (36000)
Amulet of Health +6 (36000)
Wings of Flying and Charisma +6 (108000)
Ring of Evasion, Sustenance, and Counterspells x3 (46750)
Ring of Freedom of Movement and Diamond Mind (Pearl of Black Doubt and Hearing the Air, 67000)
Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4000)
Mithral Full Plate (10500)
+1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield (9170)
Crimson Dragonhide Bracers +5 (Draconomicon, +5 natural armor, fire resist 5, 53000)
Manual of Gainful Exercise +2 (55000)
+1 Martial Discipline (Diamond Mind) Adamantine Greatsword (11050)
2 daggers
masterwork greatsword
Heward's Handy Haversack

Seribro
2007-12-17, 04:29 PM
Memphis does some handshaking and then turns to the little ones.
Hmm, I think I'll choose intellect then. Oh and don't you worry about Weasel. He won't hurt you. In fact, if you get scared or cold or tired at any point, feel free to hop in the backpack and use him as a blanket.
He picks up the little one named intellect and puts him on his own shoulder.
So, how does this work? Do you just do your thing when needed or should I ask when I could use the help? And what exactly can you do? I do know a bit about combined castings but that was always in conjunction with other mages of the Arcane Order. I take it this works a bit differend then that though...

GryffonDurime
2007-12-17, 04:32 PM
"They are neither pets nor expendable, friends," Teliron says. His tone is just a dash short of annoyance at having anyone claim them to be expendable. "They are, for all intents and purposes, me. Each is a copy, a shard of my power and my life. They will fade by tomorrow morning, and I will reconjure them. Each can protect you, and while they share my general personality, yes, each is influenced by an aspect of my emotions. Likewise, you need only tell them what you need them to do, and if it is within their power, they will do so. They can protect you, if you ask them. They can strengthen your magic, if you tell them."

With these words, Teliron casts two spells in rapid order--the first fills everyone, clones included, with a feeling of hope. For the second, he slips a jade circlet over his head and chants briefly, then motions swiftly as if sealing the spell.

"While my spell lasts, my clones will be better able to maintain your enchantments. Anything cast either by myself or by any of you can be maintained by the Eidolons, made to last all day long."

Suddenly, the jade circlet melds into Teliron's flesh, and in a flash of light the purple-scaled wizard is replaced by an indigo-hued angel of great height, swaddled in the same endless silks as Teliron himself was.


Rolls for Spellcraft; the first roll where I hit a 63 or better Persists the Shapechange. Since I can't edit in rolls, I'll just make a few here and see how many it takes...
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]
4: [roll3]
...If it takes more than that, I'll eat my hat! And my hat is a Turban of Intellect!

For the record, my clones are all +45 to Spellcraft right now, so it'd be a good time to Persist things.

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 05:27 PM
Fiona

The priestess takes Joy, and bows slightly to the tiny man.

Joy, I am honoured to have you join me this day. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

She settles Joy onto her shoulder. Smiling a bit impishly, she glances at the others.

It's late in the afternoon now, and as a follower of the sun, I like to start important events in the morning. What do you say we work together to pool our strengths here this evening, perhaps share any stories we've heard about this place, and then rise refreshed and prepare for what could be a very difficult day ahead. I can summon us a sumptous feast for breakfast...get us all off to an excellent start.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-17, 06:24 PM
Two faint sounds reaches your ears. First, the sound of something that seems to be shuffling along the stone floor. The second, as you listen a bit closer, is that of heavy breathing in and out...air being drawn in and out of a nose, perhaps.

Emerging from the doorway is a massive furred snout with a dark black nose. The snout pauses momentarily, sniffing the air, and then the rest of the creature emerges. Before you stands perhaps the largest bear (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG63.jpg) any of you have seen. It's massive head is at least three feet wide, and it's snout contains huge canine teeth.

The great bear slowly shambles into the room. Accompanying the animal, loping alongside it is a large, black-furred gorilla (http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/kingkong.jpg). His face is battlescarred, and his eyes seem intelligent and full of experience.

The gorilla wears a belt around it's waist, with a simple club tied to it. A slight "clink" can be heard as it's knuckles hit the floor when it propels itself forward. Glittering golden rings can be seen upon the ring finger of each...hand.

(if you have True Seeing, read on)

Using your true seeing, you to see the outline of the gorilla enveloping the form of a man (http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/druid.png) dressed in strange, leaf-like armor and carrying a dark, nearly black, wooden shield. Around his neck hangs an ice-blue medallion with the image of a great-sword etched upon it. (Religion check: DC...um....I don't know)


The gorilla looks nods at the huge bear, who sits down upon it's haunches...still towering a few feet above even the tallest person here.

Moving forward, the gorilla looks at everyone gathered, and then speaks in perfect, though accented, common. "I am Gregor Glenfiddich, Defender of the Great Northern Forest of Breatainn MhÚr, and I am pleased to make your acquaintences."

He lopes to the front of the great bear, and pats the huge animal. "This be my friend, Artan." the gorilla chuckles, obviously amused by the name.

"Well, I suppose we should be about this business, eh?" he says, clutching at the ice-blue medallion. "If'n any of you have any skill at enhancing magic, it'd be most appreciated. I can do a bit, tho I'm not all that good at it." the gorilla again chuckles.



http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34684

Gregor Glenfiddich
Human Druid
LN Human
Initiative +5;
Initiative + 10 (Buffed)
Senses: Spot +17, Listen +17, Arcane Sight, See Invisibility, Dark Vision
Languages: Common, Druidic, Draconic, Terran, Sylvan
_____________________________
AC: 31
+8 armor (Darkleaf Breastplate +3, Wild, Ghost Touch), +5 shield (Darkwood Heavy Shield +3, Wild), DEX +1, Sacred +2 (Retributive Amulet) +5 Natural Armor (Barkskin)
(AC: 42 w/buffs, 44 vs. Evil), touch 24, flat-footed 36 (26/38 vs. Evil);
+10 armor (Darkleaf Breastplate +3/+5 buffed, Wild, Ghost Touch), +5 shield (Darkwood Heavy Shield +3/+5 buffed, Wild), DEX +1/+4 (buff), Sacred +2 (Retributive Amulet) +5 Natural Armor (Barkskin), +5 Deflection (Shield of Faith) +2 Luck, +1 Dodge
hp 189; DR (if Applicable)
HP: 209 (buffed, +2d8)
SR: 0
SR: 31 with spell buff
Fort 22, Ref 12, Will 23 +4 vs. spells cast by Fey
(with Buffs = Fort 22, Ref 17, Will 23 +4 vs. spells cast by Fey)
______________________________
Speed: 30 Land
Speed:40 (with buff)
Melee attack: +14/+9/+4 (base) : Club +1 (+15/+10/+5) Bane: Undead, Ghost Touch, 1d6+2 + 1d6 Sonic
With Spikes/Brambles spell: (+26/+21/+16) 1d6+12 + 1d6 Sonic
Ranged attack: +14/+9/+4 (base)
Buffed Ranged Attack: +19/+14/+9
Space/Reach: 5/5
Base Atk: +14/+9/+4 (base) ; Grapple: ??

Atk Options:
Spells 6/7/7/7/6/5/5/4/3/2

Spell-like abilities:
Special Actions:
______________________________
Abilities Str 13, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 8
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 8 (Spell Buffed)
Special Qualities: Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natureís Lure, Wild Shape, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Beastial Charge, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level
Skills: Concentration (+24), Handle Animal (+9), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+6), Spot (+20), Survival (+10)
_______________________________
Equipment:


Wild Dark Leaf Breastplate +3, Ghost Touch 51450
Wild Darkwood Heavy Shield +3 36000
Retributive Amulet/Wisdom +6/ Con +6 164000
Wilding Clasp 4000 (for Amulet)
Vest of Resistence +5 25000
Wilding Clasp (for vest) 4000
Scarab: Golembane 2500 (attached to vest)
Ring of Gr. Counterspell/Sustenence/Mind Shielding 31750
Circlet for Shapechange 1500
40 Applications of Diamond Dust (stoneskin) 1000
Dukar Hand Coral (Right Hand) 1600
Tongues Scroll 700
Arcane Sight Scroll 375
Stoneskin scroll (x2) 2750
Heal scroll (x3) 4950
Cure moderate wounds potion (x6) 1800
Permanency Scroll (tongues) 10125
Permanency Scroll (Arcane sight) 10125
Permanency Scroll (See invisibility) 10125
See Invisibility scroll 150
Iridescent Ioun Stone 18000

Club +1 300
-- Bane: Undead
-- Ghost Touch
-- Screaming (Ghostwalk) 32000

Ring of Adamantine Touch 6000
--Ring of the Beast 6000
--Enduring Arcana 9000

Garnet (100gp)
Aquamarine (100gp)
Tourmaline (100gp)
Pearl (100gp)
Wilding Clasp (for Club) 4000

Total: 439,600



Memorized Spells:
0 Level #6- Guidance, Light, Cure Minor Wounds (x4)

1st Level #7 - Omen of Peril, Faerie Fire, Magic Stone, Babu Slime (x2), Sandblast, Snake's Swiftness

2nd Level #7 - Brambles, Briar Web, Healing Sting, Saltray, Barkskin, Resist Energy

3rd Level #7 - Green Fire, Energy Vortex, Girallon's Blessing, Spikes, Creaking Cacophony, Giant's Wrath

4th Level #6 - Last Breath, Magic Fang (Superior), Vortex of Teeth, Spike Stones, Flamestrike, Frost Bite

5th Level #5 - Spore Cloak, Quill Blast, Greater Stone Shape, Rejuvenation Cocoon, Spark of Life

6th Level #5 - Miasma, Crumble, Anger of the Noonday Sun, Bite of the Werebear, Greater Dispel Magic

7th Level #4 - Slime Wave, Heal, Fire Storm, Find the Path (Extended)

8th Level #3 - Sunburst, Stormrage, Earthquake

9th Level #2 - Summon Elemental Monolith, Shapechange


IN LEGENDARY APE FORM.

Base (Buffed in Bold: Bite of Werebear + other divine spells)

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=34706

Gregor Glenfiddich
LN Medium Animal (Legendary Ape Form)
Initiative +8;
Initiative +12
Senses: Low Light Vision, Scent, Listen +17, Spot +26
Languages Common, Druidic, Draconic (Any, due to Tongues)
_____________________________
AC 39, touch 16, flat-footed 38;
(+8 armor, +4 Dex, +5 shield, +11 natural)
AC: 52 Touch 27, flat 41 (vs. evil 54 / 29 / 43)
hp 189 (18 HD); DR
HP: 227 (+2d8)
Resist: depends on what spell I cast
Fort +22, Ref +14, Will +23 (+4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
Fort +23, Ref +19, Will +23 (+4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
______________________________
Speed 40 ft
Speed 50 ft
Melee (+1 Club) 24/19/14 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+12 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (+1 Club) 32/27/22 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+19 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (+1 Club with Spikes/Brambles) 42/37/32 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+29 +1d6 sonic

Melee (claw) 23/18/13 Dmg: 1d10+10
Melee (claw) 36/31/26 1d10+23 (superior magic fang)

Space/Reach 5/5 ft.
Base Atk 13/8/3 (+18); Grapple ??
Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+10), 1x Bite (2d6+5)
Special Attack: Rend (2d8+15)

Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+18), 1x Bite (2d6+9)
Special Attack: Rend (2d8+27)

______________________________

Abilities: Str 30, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 11
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 27, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 11

Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natureís Lure, Wild Shape, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Beastial Charge, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level
Skills: Concentration (+24), Handle Animal (+9), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+6), Spot (+20), Survival (+10)

Skills: Concentration (+25), Handle Animal (+10), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+9), Spot (+26), Survival (+10)

Apes, being humanoid and medium sized at that, can wield weapons and wear rings, etc. just like a normal human. At least, that's what everything I've read on various DnD sites has said.

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 06:47 PM
Fiona

The young woman steps up, seemingly unruffled, if perhaps a little reassured by Ranvor's proximity. She extends a hand in greeting to the gorilla.

A pleasure to meet you, Gregor. I am Fiona. We were just talking about magic, and our plans.

She rumbles low in her throat, nodding to the bear.

For those who speak Bear:
And good afternoon to you as well, Master Artan. You are definitely the largest and fiercest looking bear I have ever seen. I am honoured.

douglas
2007-12-17, 06:50 PM
Ranvor

"Replenished daily, got it. Be careful but not worth taking big risks to save one." Satisfied with his understanding of the Eidolons' importance, Ranvor turns to Fiona. "Yes, tomorrow morning would be a good time to start. With your spells replenished, we could take full advantage of our colleague's abilities to make your enhancement of the entire group's abilities last all day."

I am assuming we have not had the opportunity to use our combined abilities to buff everyone yet, since we seem to be treating this as our first meeting with all the introductions, and that we've spent some resources already today. If either assumption is wrong, feel free to enter the Grinder immediately as soon as our buffs are up.

Yes, he's not being very tactful about the Eidolons. 8 int, 8 wisdom, no ranks in diplomacy or sense motive... About all he heard from that speech was "blah blah blah tomorrow morning blah blah reconjure blah blah blah blah, anything cast blah blah you blah last all day." :smalltongue:

Seribro
2007-12-17, 07:29 PM
I vote in favor of that. For what I know, it will make little difference whether we enter it today or tomorrow, but entering it well prepared makes all the difference indeed. A good nights rest and a more thorough exchange of skills would be a very good start. For beginning, I know a spell that warts an object from being attacked by monsters with a certain mindset for three full days. But it only wards one object. Still, the ward is pretty powerful as it is not a shield or such, but rather a very strong feeling of displeasure, urging any creature of indicated mindset to avoid all contact with the object. It could be useful to ward the armor of whomever be moving in front during the undertaking. Yes who will be going in front anyway? Is any of you skilled in the arts of trap finding?


Toliudar, the effects that you mentioned for the entire party, did you mean you can keep that up on a (near) continuous basis? If so, might be best if we all added an extra stat block that has all the "team-buffers" included. I do hope you remembered that only personal ranged spells can be made 'persistent', right? And that chained spell requires a spell to have a greater range then touch.

What I can offer:
chained antipathi: up to 19 items revolt creatures of a certain alignment for up to 36 hours, could be used for all three evil allignments if 3 castings are used
extended darkvision: 60ft darkvision for 42 hours for 1 person per casting
extended waterbreathing: breath under water for 84 hours for 1 person per casting

any other buff spells I know are irrelevant at this point because their duration is just to short to outlast the night

Gryffon, the mini's can use their meat-magic up to 11 times a day, am I correct?


The small figurine on his shoulder ponders for a moment before asking That ward you mentioned, would it be of any use if I chained it for you? Chaining as in arching over to multiple subjects that is.
You can do that?
If you can cast it at a distant, no matter how far or short, I can make it arch over to other objects
That would be wonderful! We would still have to decide which mindsets to gamble on, but still that would be great! The casting does take about an hour for each though, you think you can keep it up for that long?
Hey! Don't insult me now! I may be small but I am just as much a powerfull mage as you are old man! You would be quite surprised how long I can keep up my powers.
My apologies. I should not judge you by your size. Hell, I knew a gnome that bettered a grumpy old black dragon once. You see what happened...
I think we can better save the stories for around the campfire, don't you agree dear colleague?
Oh, right, yes, of course. Ehm, waht were we... Ah, yes! Tactics! Now I for one like to apply the motto that its better to avoid injury then to recover from it. Who of you would agree if we could somehow find us a way around a certain obstacle? Like digging a tunnel around a certain room, usuing ethereal travelling to pass monsters by without harm, stuff like that?

Seribro
2007-12-17, 07:49 PM
[roll0] knowledge religion for the symbol
[roll1] knowledge local: Memphis did some research on the grinder so I'm using it as my "local". Also a knowledge history [roll2] for famous expeditions that visited the grinder before us and just in case it brings any valuable information I'll roll them all to see if I recall any specific details about the grinder in regards to:
arcana [roll3]
nature [roll4]
religion [roll5]
the planes [roll6]
Architecture [roll7] (although I probably won't be getting anything useful on this one until I can actually see the grinder with my own eyes)
Dungeoneering [roll8]
Geography [roll9]
Nobility [roll10] (Long shot, I know, but it cant hurt)

douglas
2007-12-17, 08:50 PM
I do hope you remembered that only personal ranged spells can be made 'persistent', right? And that chained spell requires a spell to have a greater range then touch.
Personal or fixed. 30' is fixed and therefore eligible for both chain and persist. Reach Spell (or the Hierophant's Divine Reach ability) give touch spells 30' range, so that combo can turn any touch spell into a Persistent Chained buff. A few other spells, like Mass Lesser Vigor, already have fixed ranges and affect the whole party, so Persisting those works too. So yes, every one of Toliudar's listed spells will be up effectively permanently unless dispelled.

I'm not sure how valuable Antipathy would be. My reading of the spell is that the object use relates only to touching it. Putting it on someone's armor might force saves to attack the person with natural weapons, but I think that's about it.
Darkvision would be nice, depending on lighting conditions.
Water breathing is great to have if we need it.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-17, 10:06 PM
I'd be able to contribute Barkskin (+5 Natural AC) or Spiderskin (+4? 5? Natural AC, and the same to saves vs. Poison and Hide checks) for mass persistency, I believe.

Also: Babu Slime (I think it might work)

Can we chain/persist Bite of the Wereboar?

Seribro
2007-12-17, 10:25 PM
Personal or fixed. 30' is fixed and therefore eligible for both chain and persist. Reach Spell (or the Hierophant's Divine Reach ability) give touch spells 30' range, so that combo can turn any touch spell into a Persistent Chained buff. A few other spells, like Mass Lesser Vigor, already have fixed ranges and affect the whole party, so Persisting those works too. So yes, every one of Toliudar's listed spells will be up effectively permanently unless dispelled.
Ah, I thought fixed revered to stationary spells (you know, the stuff you need to cast on a location rather then a creature). My bad. Odd that they did not add touch-range spells then.



I'm not sure how valuable Antipathy would be. My reading of the spell is that the object use relates only to touching it. Putting it on someone's armor might force saves to attack the person with natural weapons, but I think that's about it.
How many creature do you guys we will meet that are capable of wielding a weapon? I would say 1 out of 5 at best. Constructs might be trouble indeed. But okay, will scratch that one then.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 02:49 AM
Fiona

In that case, Teliron and Joy, let's start figuring out how we can work together. There are a number of spells that I can use to affect all of us. Many were designed to provide short-term protection and relief, but with the expertise that you're speaking about - we could make it last all day.

She turns to the rest of the group. She sighs a bit - she's dealt with a fair mix of saints and sinners in her time.

I do not ask for your piety in this, although some of these enchantments will be more potent for those of you who hold Pelor in your heart. But if you do not wish to receive His blessings, now would be a good time to say so. Otherwise, I'll ask that you bring out all of your weapons, and I will also bless them.

With the ability to memorize different spells come morning, this expands my ability to buff folks tonight considerably. Hopefully, this will establish a baseline that we can improve on in the time ahead. She'll be starting out by activating a Bead of Karma, so all of these will be at caster level 21. It might be better if Fury helps me out with these, since he won't be doing any metamagic work for Ranvor later.

That also means that the chained buffs will target each of us, including all of the [fabulous and invaluable] Eidolons, the weasel and the bear.

As for Magic Vestment - any shield, armour or robe you're wearing will receive the +5 enhancement. With enough for 21 weapons, Greater Magic Weapon will be cast on Martina's bow (no melee weapon?); Ranvor's two swords and his shield (no missile weapon?); Gregor's club; Fiona's mace, bow and dagger...Seribro and Gryffon, really no weapons at all? I'd have enough for one for each of you - and one for each of the Eidolons.

The persistent spells that each of you will receive from me today are:
Aid, Mass
Aura of Evasion
Conviction
Crown of Glory
Divine Agility
Energy Immunity (Sonic)
Endure Elements
Hand of Divinity
Lesser Vigor
Life's Grace
Longstrider
Magic Immunity
Owl's Wisdom
Prayer
Protection from Evil
Recitation
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Shield of Faith
Spell Resistance
Superior Resistance
Weapon of Energy
Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment will each last about 20 hours.
Assuming we leave through the portal in about 12 hours (8 hours rest, more study/prayer, an hour to eat Heroes' Feast), that will give us about 8 hours of prime exploring time before buffs start fading. Lots can happen in that time - I doubt we'll end up going the full 8 before needing to retreat/rest.

Here's a summary of the effects as I understand them:
Fast Healing 1
+5 to all armour and shields
+5 to all non-natural weapons
Spell Resistance 31
Immune to death spells, energy drain and negative energy effects
Immune to undead special attacks that deal ability damage, ability drain and disease
Your armour gains the Ghost Touch ability
Summoned Creatures can't touch you
You are immune to mind control spells and magical effects
Immune to Poison
Immune to Fear effects
Gain an additional attack at your highest bonus during any full attack action
10' land movement speed
comfortable in extreme weather/temperature conditions
Immunity to Sonic Damage and Effects
Evasion ability against breath weapons. If you already have evasion, you get +4 to reflex saves vs breath weapons.
+10 enhancement bonus to dexterity
+4 Enhancement bonus to Wisdom

Hit Points:
1d8+10 temporary HP from Heroes Feast
1d8+10 from Mass Aid, and
20 more from Crown of Glory
= 2d8+40.

AC:
+5 deflection bonus from Shield of Faith (also has an overlapping +2 from protection from evil)
+2 Luck bonus from Recitation (+3 if you worship Pelor)

Saving Throws:
+5 Morale Bonus from Conviction (also has an overlapping +1 to Will Saves from Heroes' Feast, and +4 from Crown of Glory)
+6 Resistance Bonus from Superior Resistance

Attack Bonus:
+4 Morale bonus From Crown of Glory (subsumes +3 from Righteous Wrath, and +1 from Heroes Feast)
+2 Luck bonus from Recitation (+3 if you worship Pelor, subsumes +1 from Prayer)

Damage:
+3 Morale Bonus from Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
+1 Luck Bonus from Prayer

Skill Checks:
+3 Morale bonus from Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
+1 Luck bonus from Prayer

In addition, Ranvor and I will receive Hand of Divinity, which will add a +2 Sacred bonus to saves, and Ranvor will receive Fell the Greatest Foe, which gives +1d6 damage per size category that he is smaller than his opponent, and Bless Weapon, which allows him to pierce DR/good.

For the sake of disclosure, I'll also be asking our little friends to help persist the following personal-effect spells: Divine Favour, Entropic Shield, Invisibility Purge, Divine Power, Holy Star, Holy Sword, Healing Lorecall, Fly, Delay Death and Dispel Evil.

So, if I'm adding up correctly, Gryffon, that's Persists on 3 - 1st level spells, 4 - 2nd level spells, 8 - 3rd level spells, 7 - 4th level spells, 5 - 5th level spells, 3 - 7th level spells, and 3 - 8th level spells. As well, I'll need help with
chains on 1 - 1st level spell and 2 - 6th level spells.

Very big thanks to Douglas for pointing out many of these spells.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 07:16 AM
Gregor nods in agreement. "Pelor? I know not of this god of yours, but he sounds like an agreeable chap if he be opposed to evil."



Can Owl's Insight be chained?

OWLíS INSIGHT
Transmutation
Level: Druid 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

As you cast this spell, your face is overlaid
with the image of a snow owl. The image
fades as you bestow your ally with comprehension.
The subject gains an insight bonus
to Wisdom equal to 1/2 your caster
level.

Gregor declines the Greater Magic Weapon.

He requests that the spell Spikes be persisted on his club instead.

SPIKES
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 3, druid 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Wooden weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level

(It gains a +1 enhancement bonus on its attacks and also gains a
+1 enhancement bonus per caster level on melee damage rolls
(maximum +10).

With the sound of twisting wood, the weapon you touch grows sharp spikes like rose thorns.
This spell functions like brambles (page 38), except that the affected weapon
gains a +2 enhancement bonus on its attack rolls, and its threat range is
doubled. This effect does not stack with other effects that increase a weaponís threat range, such as the Improved Critical feat.

So my wee 'lil club would have a +11 Hit/+11 Damage, threat range of 19-20.

I would also request these spells be Persisted on me:
Bite of the Werebear (6th)
Barkskin (2nd)
Magic Fang, Superior (4th)
Shapeshift (9th)

How many people can be affected by a Chained spell at once?

Kat Steel
2007-12-18, 07:22 AM
No need for meele weapon, I don't provoke when targeting some one in the square next to mine and I have no intension of staying to close to combat to allow them to sunder my bow, if they sunder the bow I'm going to be very annoyed :)

Thanks for all the spell effect, I now just need to figure what stacks with the items i have on and what doesn't



The she elf approaches Teliron, and holds out her hand, palm up

"If Freedom is happy to come along with me I'll be happy for the company and I'm sure he will be of use with some of my spells."

She waits for the little Eidon to come over to her.

When the bear and the ape join the group, she mumbles under her breath

"I've seem many talking idiots but never a talking ape"

To the group in general

"I don't need 8 hours rest tonight as I have no spend any of my spells, so I'm happy to watch over those of you who need the full 8 hours to rest, I will need a bit of rest but about 4 hours should do it. Ranvor are you happy to divide watch with me?"

Seribro
2007-12-18, 10:05 AM
Wait, you can make things last all day? Ooh.... that might be interesting. Eey weasel, come out here for a second. the small fluffy head pokes out of the bag as it hears its name
How would you like to be a menacing brute for a change? the weasel thinks for a moment and then crawls up to the wizards shuolder as if saying "I'm listening".
Alright intellect, work with me here to turn this little weasel in a true beast of battle. First we need to shape him up a bit.
Memphis puts the little one on the ground and begins to cast one of his most powerfull transformation spells.
The silky brown fur is replaced by shiny silver scales and a proud mohawk grows on its head. From his shoulders sproud two powerfull wings and the fluffy tail becomes a powerful whipping limb. Where only moments ago had stood a tiny weasel now stands a powerful colosal silver wyrm.
It let out a loud roar of pleasure and flapped its wings to come loose from the ground for a moment, before letting itself drop back.



So, if I'm adding up correctly, Gryffon, that's Persists on 3 - 1st level spells, 4 - 2nd level spells, 8 - 3rd level spells, 7 - 4th level spells, 5 - 5th level spells, 3 - 7th level spells, and 3 - 8th level spells. As well, I'll need help with
chains on 1 - 1st level spell and 2 - 6th level spells.
3+4+8+7+5+3+3+1+2=36 spells

the mini's can use their metamagic boosters up to 11 times a day during casting and another 11 times a day for spell allready in effect, both go to 14 when somebody lends them their headband of intellect. This means each mini can strengthen up to 28 spells a day, but there is nothing that stops you from borrowing a mini of your allies when your own runs out :P

their spellcraft is 45 at the moment, +3 for intelect booster of headband and +2 if you aid them for your casting that would make 50, they also benefit from the +3 morale and +1 luck that your buffs are handing out so that makes 54 in total
Take ten then gets you 64 as a spellcraft result which is enough to reach a spell level of:
(64-18=46)/3=15, enough to make a level 9 spell persistend

to MeanDM: chain can hit additional targets equal to your caster level. So if it chains, it can hit us all.

MeanDM
Bite of the Werebear (6th)
Barkskin (2nd) x7 (you are casting it for all of us, aren't you?)
Magic Fang, Superior (4th)
Shapeshift (9th)
= 10 uses

I myself would like a persistent shapchange on my familiar (anything with a range personal can also be cast on familiars :P)
Persistent superior magic fang on weasel.
extended darkvision for 42 hours of darkvision 60ft to all of us (using up my 2nd level slots)
also, persistend haste on all (pretty much using up all my 3th level slots :P)
(leaving out water breathing here since it divides the time across the partakers, will keep one on the ready though)

so add +4 natural armor enhancement, darkvision 60ft, +1 to attack rolls (haste), +1 dodge to AC and reflex saves(dodges stack with other dodge bonusses), and +30ft to all movement modes

Buffed up stats block:

Memphis
Deep Imaskari Wizard (Transmutation) 3 / Master Specialst 6 / Mage of the Arcane Order 5 / Archmage 4
NG Humanoid
Initiative 0; Senses: low light vision, spot 16, listen 16, arcane sight
Languages: Common, Raushaum, Terran, Aquan, Undercommon, Draconic, Abysal, Infernal
_____________________________
AC: 44, touch 22 (32 for ghost touches), flat-footed 34;
10 +5 armor (robe of the archmagi) +5 force shield (ring) +5 DEX +5 Deflection +12 natural armor +2 luck
hp 149 (+18 if minor shifting is used); DR (if Applicable)
SR 31 DR 10/adamantine
Fort 19, Ref 23, Will 27
______________________________
Speed:60ft land; 90ft fly; Minor Shifting +5 for all modes
Melee attack: +13 unarmed 1d3+4 subd full attack: +13/+13/+8 unarmed 1d3+4 subd
Ranged attack: +19 ranged full attack: +19/+19/+14
Space/Reach: 5/5
Base Atk: +8/+3 ; Grapple: 7
Atk Options: Spells: 6/10/9/9/9/4/8/7/5/5, 2 extra attacks when taking full attack action
Spell-like abilities:at will summon large elemental, dimentional jaunt, minor shifting; passwall 4/day; disintegrate 4/day; Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death 2/day
Special Actions:Call spell 9 levels/day
______________________________
Abilities: Str 8 / Dex 20 / Con 16 / Int 36 / Wis 18 / Cha 9
Special Qualities:Spell Clutch 1/day; fast healing 1
1/campaign reincarnate, stone to flesh, death ward
Imune to: death spells, energy drain, negative energy effects, abbility damage/drain, desease, mind controll and the likes, poison, fear, sonic damage/effects, extreme weather
untouchable for summons; evasion against breath weapons
Feats: spell focus [transmutation]&[conjuration]; greater spell focus [transmutation]; skill focus[spellcraft]; sudden widen; sudden maximize; cooperative spell; dimensional jaunt; minor shifting; summon elemental; augment summoning; scribe scroll; action surge
Skills: spellcraft +37, search +34, knowledge [arcana] +29, concentration +28, knowledge [nature/religion/planes] +24, decipher script +20, knowledge [architecture/dungeoneering/geographie/history/local/nobility] +19, tumble 19
_______________________________
Equipment:
+6 INT Headband of Intelect
+4 CON Periapt of health
+4 DEX Gloves of dexterity
Robe of the Archmagi
+2 AC Vestment of natural armor
+3 AC Bracers of Protection
+2 AC Ring of force Shield
Wings of Flying
Ring of Sustenance
Metamagic Rod [Empower]
2 spellbooks
backpack
crystal vials 20
bags of diamond dust 6
bags of gold dust 20 (each with a tiny sheet of iron in it)
pearls 10
strips of iveroy 4
sets of incense 6

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 10:54 AM
Fiona

Her voice hoarse from casting so many spells, Fiona shakes Fury's hand and hands him delicately back over to Ranvor. Whereas before she had been bold and resolute, she now literally glows with the power of the sun, with a miniature star floating just above her shoulder as well.

Taking in the massive silver dragon, Fiona nods and smiles.

Well, I don't know about any of you, but I feel safer already.

Sadly, I don't think that Bite of the Werebear can be chained, because it's a personal range spell. Wish that it could!

I'm assuming that another of the Eidolons, perhaps Sympathy, could help her finish off the metamagicking for the evening.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 11:47 AM
"I too do not require much rest, though my friend here does." the ape pats the great bear again. "A couple of hours is all, really."


(buffed block)


Oh, and if people need 8 hrs rest, that actually leaves 16 hours worth of exploration time before 24-hr spells fade.

Gregor Glenfiddich
LN Medium Animal (Legendary Ape Form)
Initiative +8;
Initiative +12
Senses: Low Light Vision, Scent, Listen +17, Spot +26
Languages Common, Druidic, Draconic (Any, due to Tongues)
_____________________________
AC 39, touch 16, flat-footed 38;
(+8 armor, +4 Dex, +5 shield, +11 natural)
AC: 56 Touch 24, flat 56 (vs. evil 58 / 26 / 58)
(+10 armor, +7 Shield, +7 Dex, +14 natural, +5 Shield of Faith, +2 Luck, +2 Sacred, +1 Dodge
hp 189 (18 HD); DR
HP: 227 (+2d8)
Resist: depends on what spell I cast
Fort +22, Ref +14, Will +23 (+4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
Fort +31, Ref +26, Will +31 (Conviction +5 Morale, Recitation +2, Superior Resistence +6, +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
______________________________
Speed 40 ft
Speed 50 ft
Melee (+1 Club) 24/19/14 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+11 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (+1 Club) 32/27/22 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+19 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (+1 Club with Spikes/Brambles) 42/37/32 (Bane vs. Undead) 1d6+29 +1d6 sonic

Melee (claw) 23/18/13 Dmg: 1d10+10
Melee (claw) 36/31/26 1d10+23 (superior magic fang)

Space/Reach 5/5 ft.
Base Atk 13/8/3 (+18); Grapple +0
Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+10), 1x Bite (2d6+5)
Special Attack: Rend (2d8+15)
Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+23), 1x Bite (2d6+9)
Special Attack: Rend (2d8+27)
______________________________

Abilities: Str 30, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 11
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 25, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 11

Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natureís Lure, Wild Shape, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Beastial Charge, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Beastial Charge, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level, Fast Healing 1, Power Attack, Blind Fight

Skills: Concentration (+24), Handle Animal (+9), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+6), Spot (+20), Survival (+10)

Skills: Concentration (+25), Handle Animal (+10), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+9), Spot (+26), Survival (+10)



buffed Dire Bear block (someone help review this...not so confident about calcing his advancement (+4hd)


Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 16d8+55 (135 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 50 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 41 (-1 size, +6 Dex, +13 natural, +2 Luck, +1 Morale), touch 22, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+31
Attack: Claw +36 melee (3d4+18) +3
Attack: Claw +47 melee (3d4+28)
Full Attack: 2 claws +36 melee (3d4+18) and bite +30 melee (2d8+9)
Full Attack: 2 claws +47 melee (3d4+28) and bite +41 melee (2d8+14)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +15, Will +15
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 15, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Abilities: Str 49, Dex 25, Con 27, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Spell Resistence: 31
Skills: Listen +15, Spot +15, Swim +21
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw), Fast Healing 1, Improved Natural Attack (claw)
Environment: Cold forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 13-16 HD (Large); 17-36 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: ó

The omnivorous dire bear usually does not bother creatures that try to avoid it, but will aggressively defend a kill or other source of food. It will not hesitate to rip apart anything that might contain something edible.

A typical dire bear is 12 feet long and weighs as much as 8,000 pounds.

Combat
A dire bear attacks by tearing at opponents with its claws.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a dire bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 12:55 PM
Behold the power of an optimized druid! Wow.

I did a pass through the bear's stats, and have the following adjustments, based on all the buffs, and based on persistent GMF, barkskin and Bite of the werebear.

Strength - 49
Dex - 25
Con - 27 is right, I think, but you also get an ability score raise with the four extra hit dice, which I've assigned to con. It would of course also be very valuable in strength, for instance.
Wisdom - 16
HP - new HP would be 203 and 40+2d8 temporary hit points
Fortitude: 26
Reflex: 16
Wis: 15
BAB: 12
Claw attack: +47 (2d4+28)
Bite attack: +41 (2d8+18)
Assuming that the bear puts two points into each of spot and listen, the two skills go to +15 each
Plus, you have a feat to give it.

That's a pretty amazing bear!

GryffonDurime
2007-12-18, 01:50 PM
"If any of you desire, I could render a powerful spell known only to the Wu Jen sects that would transform your flesh into living metal...it is a powerful protection, but it comes at a small price: your agility will suffer ever so slightly."


I do have a 1/day Rod of Reach Spell, so we could very well chain Bite of the Werebear...is it that good?

Anyway...I feel the need to point this out: remember, my clones don't have magical equipment, so don't add in the bonus from a Circlet of Intelligence, etc. Thanks to our Saint, I and I alone can now persist a 6th level spell when taking ten...my clones are less certain of it. Also, why are you just using Shapechange on your familiar? Share Spell is not either/or. It's also. You get Shapechange permenancied, and so does your familiar. The spell's good like that.


So, if I'm adding up correctly, Gryffon, that's Persists on 3 - 1st level spells, 4 - 2nd level spells, 8 - 3rd level spells, 7 - 4th level spells, 5 - 5th level spells, 3 - 7th level spells, and 3 - 8th level spells. As well, I'll need help with
chains on 1 - 1st level spell and 2 - 6th level spells.

My clones can all handle anything up to the 7th level spells, but Teliron has to persist the 8ths. Likwise, they can provide chains on all those you need chains on.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 02:27 PM
"Well, little one." Gregor says to Sympathy "Wouldn't want ye to be left out, no?" He smiles, and stretches his hand out to the tiny clone.

"If'n ye want, I can help with some spells too. I can toughen yer skin, and even yer wisdom too."


These are the spells I can offer, especially now that I know what everyone else can add:

Group:
Chained/Persistent: Owl's Insight (5th) (+9 Enhancement to Wisdom)
Chained/Persistent: Superior Magic Fang (4th) ( (+4 Atk / +4 Dmg, all natural weapons)
Chained/Persistent: Hawkeye (1st) (+5 Competence to Spot, Projectile Ranged Attacks get +50% distance)

Me (and my bear, using Share Spells):
Persistent: Wild Instincts (2nd) (+10 Insight to Spot & Listen, can't be caught Flat Footed
Persistent: Spikes (3rd) (+10 Atk / +10 Dmg on wooden weapon, doubles threat range, bludg & piercing damage)
Persistent: Shapechange (9th)


Thanks for checking that over :)

I also miscalculated the bear's AC. Should be +4 higher (+4 Natural AC)

Say, if I have Improved Natural Attack, would that affect the damage dice for Rend (since it's claws being used?)?

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 02:41 PM
Bite info:



You gain a +16 enhancement bonus to Strength,
a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity
(which we're getting +10 from another spell, so that overrides the +2)
a +8 enhancement bonus to Constitution,
and a +7 enhancement bonus to natural armor.

Your hands become claws.
Two claw attacks (1d8+Str or 1d6+Str if you're small sized)
attack with both claws at your full attack bonus

Your mouth becomes that
of a bear, giving you a bite attack.
Your bite attack takesa Ė2 penalty
(as if you had the Multiattack
feat).
Bite deals 2d8 + 1/2 Str (2d6+1/2 Str if Small)

You gain the benefits of the Blind-Fight and Power
Attack feats, as well.

I'd say it's worth serious consideration :)

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 02:48 PM
"If any of you desire, I could render a powerful spell known only to the Wu Jen sects that would transform your flesh into living metal...it is a powerful protection, but it comes at a small price: your agility will suffer ever so slightly."





That's much better than Barkskin. Plus, with the +10 Dex from that divine spell, it makes it instead a +8 (no big deal, really).

Barkskin is only +5. And with +10 Dex, that's (theoretically) +5 bonus ac, so you get to 10.

With Metal Skin, you'd get +8 NAC and +4 Dex AC, for +12.

We'd be better with Metal Skin.

I'll take Barkskin off my list of buffs.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-18, 03:16 PM
I noticed there hasn't been any mention of Elemental Resistences, yet.

I can offer either:

Protection From Energy (3rd) = soak 120 hp damage of 1 energy type
or
Resist Energy (2nd) = -30 damage from 1 energy type

I'd suggest the Resist Energy. Most things I predict we will see would be able to use energy attacks at will, so you'll get to soak 120 once...whereas resisting more on a consistent basis would be smarter...don't you think?

And I believe there are 5 energy types: Acid, Fire, Cold, Electricity, Sonic

douglas
2007-12-18, 03:41 PM
I think this discussion should probably be taken to the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66946).

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 06:32 PM
Fiona

The young priest is flushed, but pleased with the group's progress.

Four learned servants - or ten, depending on how you look at it. A virtual legend with a bow. And I can speak for Ranvor, since is too modest to do so: he is a beautiful and terrible thing to behold when confronting evil. Plus, of course, our very own dragon and bear.

She pulls a simple bedroll from her pack.

But for now, this priest needs a couple hours of beauty sleep. Ranvor, you can wake me a little before dawn, perhaps?

douglas
2007-12-18, 09:08 PM
Ranvor

"Modest? What's this about me being 'modest'? I'll have you know I've slain so many fiends I've lost count of them all!!" Never mind that my counting abilities aren't that impressive, no need to mention that. "But yes, I am a true master of battle, fit to inspire fear in the mightiest fiend's vile heart. Why, I once faced a Balor down and had him crying for mercy before I banished him back to his dark home..." Ranvor goes on in this vein for some time before acknowledging Fiona's request for a wakeup call. "Oh, of course, my lady, I will ensure we make a timely departure."

If we're all satisfied with the state of our buffs, I think it's about time to fast forward to entering The Grinder tomorrow morning.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 11:34 PM
Fiona

Smiling fondly, Fiona lays a hand on Ranvor's cheek.

Ah, my dear friend. Some day, we will have a conversation about sarcasm, and irony. And many other things. You lovely, lovely man.

She allows her gaze to drift over her new companions.

Till morning, then?

TheMeanDM
2007-12-19, 01:24 PM
new spells memorized

Memorized Spells:
0 Level #6- Guidance, Light, Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Know Direction, Cure Minor Wounds

1st Level #7 - Omen of Peril, Faerie Fire (x2), Magic Stone, Snake's Swiftness (x2), Silvered Claws

2nd Level #7 - Dessication, Briar Web, Healing Sting, Saltray, Snake's Swiftness (Mass), Resist Energy, Extended Babu Slime

3rd Level #7 - Green Fire, Energy Vortex, Girallon's Blessing, Spikes, Creaking Cacophony, Giant's Wrath, Brittleskin

4th Level #6 - Arc of Lightning, Magic Fang (Superior), Vortex of Teeth, Spike Stones, Flamestrike, Frost Bite

5th Level #5 - Spore Cloak, Quill Blast, Greater Stone Shape, Rejuvenation Cocoon, Blackwater Tentacle

6th Level #5 - Miasma, Crumble, Anger of the Noonday Sun, Antilife Shell, Greater Dispel Magic

7th Level #4 - Slime Wave, Heal, Fire Storm, Find the Path (Extended)

8th Level #3 - Sunburst, Stormrage, Earthquake

9th Level #2 - Summon Elemental Monolith, Cast in Stone

Seribro
2007-12-19, 04:29 PM
Memphis deals out another few spells and then calls it a day "We'll see what the grinder brings in the morning. Now, how about we get to know eachother a little better? How about we build us a campfire and take turns to tell stories about what exciting adventures we've had in the past? One of the most interesting stories I remember happened about six years ago. I had just - "
"Ehm, sorry to interrupt you, but shouldn't we first build a campfire and then do the stories?"
"Ah, yes, ofcourse. My mind is always three steps ahead but tends to forget what steps lay in between."
The bald geezer conjures up some unseen force and with some commands that look as if spoken to thin air it begins to gather wood from all around and pile it up. Then he looks for a stone that fits his needs and finds a pretty clean rock. With some modifications it becomes a rough pillar 3 feet in diameter and 10 feet tall. Then when the shape is just about right, the marble white hand begins to glow a warm red and the stone becomes some unidentifiable fleshy substance.
Now, if somebody with a sword, knife or claws like razors would be so kind to chop it into pieces, we'll have roasted stone for dinner tonight. I can asure you it tastes a lot better then it sounds.
Once that is said he lays his hand on three more rocks and turns them into stone couches.
When he's done Memphis sits down on one side of one of the benches and leans back against the stone
So, I did the hunting and the gathering, who's going to light the fire and cook some dinner?

used in total: persistent shapechange on weasel, persistent haste, persistent rary's telepathic bond, 4x stone shape, stone to flesh, extended unseen servant.

Also, could I get an answer whether or not the knowledge checks gave me anything usefull?

(1d20+15)[33] knowledge local: Memphis did some research on the grinder so I'm using it as my "local". Also a knowledge history (1d20+15)[21] for famous expeditions that visited the grinder before us and just in case it brings any valuable information I'll roll them all to see if I recall any specific details about the grinder in regards to:
arcana (1d20+25)[39]
nature (1d20+20)[30]
religion (1d20+20)[28]
the planes (1d20+20)[28]
Architecture (1d20+15)[27] (although I probably won't be getting anything useful on this one until I can actually see the grinder with my own eyes)
Dungeoneering (1d20+15)[17]
Geography (1d20+15)[31]
Nobility (1d20+15)[25] (Long shot, I know, but it cant hurt)

Toliudar
2007-12-19, 07:52 PM
Fiona

The young woman has a childlike delight in the wizard's display of power and hospitality. She settles gratefully into one of the stone couches, and sets down her shield. She glances down at the faint light sitting on her shoulder, and a slender beam wafts out from it, slowly searing the outside of the vaguely meat-ish substance.

Thank you so much, Memphis! Normally, lighting things would be a specialty for me, but this is the best I'll be able to do.

In a few minutes, the meat is done. Meanwhile, she gazes at the fire, as the smell of cooked flesh begins to rise from it.

Stories? I suspect that we've all got more than we can share in an evening. As for me? Well, only a few years ago, I was a simple priest, tending to a small village in the mountains - not more than a hundred miles from here, actually. A beautiful town, kindly folked, and I felt like I was doing some good there. And then, these three idiots tried to harness a demon. Tried to get a little one, but screwed something up, and got a very, VERY major one. I don't know it's name, but it smelled like vomit, and looked like...

She trails off for a moment.

Well, it tore each of those three would-be wizards several new ********s, and came out into the town. It started playing with people. Changing them into...other things. I ran out to try to stop it. Praying as hard as I could, I asked Pelor to take me, to do whatever it took to stop it, even if it meant burning me up in the process.

She pauses, smiling wryly.

Now, that doesn't usually work. It's the kind of thing they tell you to use in the seminary, if you can't think of anything else, but usually it just means that you're about to become a grease spot on the road. This time, though...I guess this demon-thing was big enough to warrant some personal divine attention. Something...a divine spirit of some kind...stepped into me. The fight lasted maybe ten minutes, and took out a quarter of the town. In the end, I vaguely remember tearing open my own ribcage, throwing my own heart down its throat, and seeing it explode. I...don't know how that all worked.

She chuckles. She supposed that all of these extraordinary individuals had seen marvels to put her story to shame.

Enough of the town survived that they sort of gathered up the remains to deliver to the cathedral at Verdin. You know, the one with the really lovely stained glass work in the nave? Anyway, the church was very nice about it, if a bit skeptical, and allowed me to lay in state there for a few days before my burial. Which never happened, because Lord Pelor chose, against all reason and my understanding, to let me come back and continue his work. And...well, that's what I've done.

Here's Fiona, at the end of tomorrow's buffs as understood at this point.

Name - Saint Fiona the Unground
Alignment - NG; Type (subtypes) - Native Outsider (Human with Saint Template)
Initiative - +4; Senses - Blindsight 60', Ebon Eyes, Darkvision 60', Low light vision
Languages - Common, Celestial - Tongues always in effect
_______________________________
AC - 74 (Armour +13, Shield +8, Dex +2, Natural +13, Deflection +5, Luck +3, Situational +6, Insight +14); touch - 40, flat-footed - 49
hp - Permanent 98
With buffs and assuming average rolls for temporary HP: 236
DR: 10/evil, Adamantium (Stoneskin has 220 hp, I think)
SR: 33
Fort - 33, Ref - 24, Will - 45
[+5 morale, +2 sacred, +3 luck, +6 resistance]
______________________________
Speed - 30ft (longstrider); Fly (with spell) 40'
BAB (with Divine Power): 16
Adamantium Mace (+5 bonus, Magebane, Sudden Stun, Holy) +44/+44/+39/+34/+29 (1d8+17 etc)
Composite Longbow (+5 bonus, Holy, Darkwood, +4 strength modified) +47 etc (1d8+9 etc)
(Attacks are +16 base, +14 stat for Wisdom (Intuitive Strike/Zen Archery), +2 for saint, +4 morale, +3 luck, +5 weapon)
(Damage is +3 luck, +3 morale, +5 weapon, +4 or 6 strength, +1d6 per size category smaller than target, +2d6 if target is evil; +1d6 if evil or +1d8 if evil outsider), +1d6 acid, Pierces DR/good, auto-confirms crits on evil.)
______________________________
Abilities - Str 19,Dex 19, Con 20, Int 12, Wis, 39, Cha 25

Special Qualities -

Feats - Power Attack, Extra Turning, Extra Turning, Metamagic (Quicken), Intuitive Strike, Metamagic (Chain), Divine Metamagic (Quicken), Zen Archery, Domain Spontaneity (Travel)
Flaws - Inattentive, Weak Willed
Domains - Healing (Heals at +1 CL), Glory (+2 on turning checks, +1d6 on turning damage), Purification (abjurations at +1 CL), Travel (Freedom of movment lite for up to six rounds)
Turn Undead: 25 times/day (10 are Greater Turnings)
Radiance: 2x radius of all light spells cast
Immune to Disease
Maximize Healing
Aura of Warding - 10' R, +2 to will saves
Positive Energy - 8d6 damage to undead in a 100' radius (reflex DC 20 to for half.)
Divine Reach - touch spells become rays with a range of 30'
Saint Properties - +Wis Insight bonus to AC
Saves DC's for all spells, and all attacks are at +2
Holy Touch +1d6 vs evil, +1d8 vs evil outsiders and undead (natural or melee weapons). Striking the saint with natural weapon has the same effect.
Cast Guidance, Virtue, and Bless at will
Damage Reduction 10/evil
Fast Healing 8
Immune to Acid, Electricity, Cold and petrifaction
Fire Resistance 10
+4 fort saves vs poison
Protective Aura: surrounded by Double strenght magic circle against evil and lesser globe of invulnerability
Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +4

Spells as 17th level caster, casts as 17th level caster (21st with bead of Karma) - see below

Skills: Concentration +25; Craft (Blacksmith) +7; Diplomacy +25; Heal +29; Knowledge Religion: +14; Knowledge Arcana +3, Knowledge The Planes +5; Listen +1Sense Motive +23; Spellcraft +6. Listen +7

Major Equipment: Bracers of +6 constitution; Gloves of +6 Dexterity and the Master Strategist; 2 pearls of Karma, Cloak of Charisma +6; Belt of Battle; Greater Metamagic Rod - Silent; Rings of Sustenance and Spell Turning (Storing a Greater Dispel Magic); Reliquary Holy Symbol of +6 Wisdom (also prepared to be divine focus for Destruction spells); Boots of Haste; Nightstick; Eyes of the Eagle; Orange Ioun Stone; Heward's Handy Haversack; Holy Water Font & 8 vials of holy water; Scrolls of Water Breathing, Wind Wall, Speak with Dead, Panacea, Revivify. Read Tome of Understanding +1.

Buffs (at time of writing): Aid, Aura of Evasion, Barkskin, Blindsight, Greater, Conviction, Crown of Glory, Darkvision, Detect Magic, Divine Agility, Divine Favour, Divine Insight, Divine Power, Empyrial Ecstasy, Energy Immunity (Sonic), Energy Immunity (Fire), Endure Elements, Fly, Foresight, Fortunate Fate, Freedom of Movement, Hand of Divinity, Hawkeye, Healing Lorecall, Heroesí Feast, Lifeís Grace, Magic Vestment (on both armour and shield), Magic Weapon, Greater (on all 3 weapons), Metal Skin, Owlís Wisdom, Pass without Trace, Planar Bubble, Prayer, Protection from Evil, Recitation, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Sheltered Vitality, Shield of Faith, Shield of the Archons, Spell Resistance, Spider Climb, Stoneskin, Superior Magic Fang, Telepathic Bond, True Seeing, Vengeance Halo, Weapon of Energy (Acid), Vigorous Circle, Water Breathing, and, of course, anything Iíve missed. :smallwink: All have a duration of hours unless otherwise indicated.

Spells prepared for that morning:
Level 0:
Create Water
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Light
Mending
Read Magicx2

Level 1:
Command x2
Detect Evil
Cure Light Wounds
Nimbus of Light
Summon Monster I
Updraft
Wings of the Sea

Level 2 - 8
Divine Insight
Hold Person
Lesser Restoration
Quick March
Remove Paralysis
Silence
Spiritual Weapon

Level 3 - 8
Attune Form
Daylight
Protection from Energy
Remove Curse x2
Speak With Dead
Stone Shape
Water Breathing
Weapon of Energy

4th Level - 8 spells
Divination
Control Water
Holy Transformation, Lesser
Positive Energy Aura
Restoration x2
Stone Shape
Summon Monster IV

5th Level - 6 spells
Flame Strike
Raise Dead
Plane Shift
Revivication
Righteous Might
Wall of Stone

6th Level - 6
Anti Life Shell
Greater Dispel Magic x2
Heroes Feast - cast
Visage of the Deity
Banishment

7th Level - 5 spells
Destruction
Ethereal Jaunt
Fortunate Fate
Chained Restoration

Level 8 - 4 spells
Earthquake
Heat Drain
Stormrage
Summon Monster VIII

Level 9 - 2 spells
Miracle
Miracle (Empyreal Ecstasy) - cast

Domain:
1/ Cure Light Wounds
2/ Deific Vengeance
3/ Searing Light
4/ Cure Critical Wounds (auto-Maximizes)
5/ Cure Light Wounds, Mass (auto-Max)
6/ Bolt of Glory
7/ Greater Teleport
8/ Sunburst
9/ Mass Heal

I am NEVER playing a high level cleric again. TOO MUCH PAPERWORK. :smallbiggrin:

Kat Steel
2007-12-20, 09:14 AM
Martina

The she-elf feels the effects of Fiona's magics tingling through her body, she feels lighter on her feet and more relaxed, she feels wiser and is soon over whelmed by all the power being poured into her.

After a few seconds, the tingling dissipates and things feel more normal.

She cast 1 spell on the party (pass without trace) which Freedom extendes (???)

She then sits cross legged on the floor in front of the fire listening to the others tell their tales.

GryffonDurime
2007-12-20, 09:33 AM
Teliron stretches and contracts his angelic wings, then quickly shinks back down into the from of a spellscale.

"...I'm worried. I've heard about how few come back from this place, this place that not even Io truly knows. There is endless strong magic protecting us all now, but you all know the goal. What is supposed to lie at the end of it all. And I don't know what rumors you've heard, but I haven't heard of it being divisible."

The wu jen shifts about uncomfortably, then assumes the form of a beautiful wanderer coated in rime and stardust.

"I hate to pry, but I have to know: what kind of divinity do you think you would be?"

Kat Steel
2007-12-20, 10:06 AM
Martina

She speak slowly and calmly, but firmly

"I just want to find the truth about this place and see if I'm up for the challenge - I don't wish to be a Godess."

Toliudar
2007-12-20, 10:39 AM
Fiona

I suppose we wouldn't be here if we hadn't considered that question, Teliron. I suspect that I would be...a very immature one. Which I why I hope not to have to make that choice.

Her eyes rove steadily over her companions. Her smile is warm and genuine.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-20, 10:50 AM
Gregor scratches his shaggy ape-head a moment.

"Well, beggin' yer pardon lass" he winks at Fiona "I'm not much for all kinds of laws. Sure, some have their place and keep order in the world just fine. The law of nature, fer instance. Nature is pretty ordered in that sense...one big circle of life and death." he chuckles at some obviously personal joke.

"The problem with laws is that they can get all...bad. Ye get some yahoo who's in 'lawful' control of some place and they use their power to send their land and people down the crapper. The problem being that if they be lawfully in power, then other lawful folks need to work within the laws to get that chap lawfully out of power...else, they be no better than him, right?"

His ape-face frowns creating creases on his forehead. "Tis too complex for simple folk like me." He grins wide, showing sharp canine teeth.

"Me, I see that there be a need for a little bit 'o law and a little bit 'o disorder...but tempered with some goodness. Definitely." he nods his head, as if agreeing with himself.

"Free will, I suppose you could call it. Average folks living as best as they can with their neighbors and nature, but not subject to too many laws nor too much disorder. That's how I'd like to see things."

He just keeps rambling on...

"But that's the thing about nature. Just when ye think ye got her figured out, she goes and does something unexpected. There's her bit of chaos. But she's never evil. That's not a concept that nature knows. It's us folks that see and bring ideas of good and evil into things. Nature is just...nature. It's a bit of order and a bit of chaos...balanced."

He stops, looks at the glazed eyes of his companions and then cracks a smile.

"Sorry, sometimes I babble. I suppose if'n I had to say it plain, I'd be a nice guy that helps everyone the best that I can, and tries to keep 'em on the good side of things. I think there's can be a bit of good in everyone, ye just gots to find it."

He nods again, agreeing with his own words. "Aye, that'd be me."

"Oh, a story...well...I must say the past few years have been interesting, that's fer sure. There was that nasty ole' dragon who lived in the deep dark of Ogof Ffynnon Ddu. Aye, he was a wiley one. Loved the shadows, he did. I think he was actually part shadow, come to think of it. Me and some fine lads and lasses had to journey all sorts of places to finally snuff him." His eyes grow a bit hazy as he remembers the events of the past.

"Aye, that started off a whole mess of things. We never thought much past that dragon, but we found ourselves disruptin' the plans of some pretty serious folks from outside the world. Seems like they wanted to poke their noses into our business, try to run things the way they wanted to...and not so nicely, either."

He shakes his head, and smiles again, really wide and with lots of pleasure in himself.

"Those blokes were pretty gobsmacked when we took the fight right to 'em. Sure, it was murder gettin' there...I don't recommend anyone headin' to that Astral place, nope, not unless yer off yer nut. Big things there..."

He visibly shivers a bit. "Well, when we showed our mugs on their doorstep and started knocking...hard...well, they decided to leave off their plans." he chuckles "I'll never forget the look on their best sham-feen's face when our hardman mangled his snoz, but good!"

He roars with laughter at the conclusion of his story.

douglas
2007-12-20, 02:30 PM
Ranvor

"What kind of divinity would I be? One that smites lots of evil, of course. Oh, and support a lot of combat schools, train up the next generation of do-gooders, that sort of thing. But, we'll figure that part out when we get there."

I've got a possible final list of party buffs fully summarized here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3685789&postcount=82). If everyone agrees with that, I think we can finally get this thing started.

How about we persist everything we can the night before, then burn the candle of invocation in the morning and cast the remaining spells, with backup copies of everything prepared? Note that if we use the candle to gate in anything, Fiona loses her 9th level spell slots immediately.

Just to make sure, who is built to survive in melee and would want to come with me when I use War Master's Charge?

TheMeanDM
2007-12-20, 03:15 PM
Updated stat block/spells/eq
?'s over in OOC

gregor and bear hp
2d8-> [4,6] = (10)
2d8-> [6,4] = (10)

2d8=10, 2d8=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1438139)



Gregor Glenfiddich
Human Druid
LN Human
Initiative +5;
Initiative + 10 (Buffed)
Senses: Spot +17, Listen +17, Arcane Sight, See Invisibility, Dark Vision
Senses: Spot +23, Listen +23, Blindsight 60', Tremorsense
Languages: Common, Druidic, Draconic, Terran, Sylvan (Tongues = all)
_____________________________
AC: 31
+8 armor (Darkleaf Breastplate +3, Wild, Ghost Touch), +3 shield (Darkwood Heavy Shield +3, Wild), DEX +1, Sacred +2 (Retributive Amulet) +5 Natural Armor (Barkskin)
(AC: 53 w/buffs, 55 vs. Evil), touch 24, flat-footed 36 (26/38 vs. Evil);
+10 armor (Darkleaf Breastplate +3/+5 buffed, Wild, Ghost Touch), +7 shield (Darkwood Heavy Shield +3/+5 buffed, Wild), DEX +1/+4 (buff), Sacred +2 (Retributive Amulet), +5 Natural Armor Enhancement (Barkskin), +8 Natural (Metal Skin) +5 Deflection (Shield of Faith) +2 Luck, +1 Dodge
hp 189; DR (if Applicable)
HP: 239 (40 +2d8)
SR: 0
SR: 33 with spell buff
Fort 22, Ref 12, Will 23 +4 vs. spells cast by Fey
Fort 33, Ref 26, Will 38 +4 vs. spells cast by Fey)
______________________________
Speed: 30 Land
Speed:40 (with buff)
Speed (Fly): 60'
Melee attack: +14/+9/+4 (base) : Club +1 (+15/+10/+5) Bane: Undead, Ghost Touch, 1d6+2 + 1d6 Sonic
With Spikes/Brambles spell: (+26/+21/+16) 1d6+12 + 1d6 Sonic
With Buffs: +35/+30/+25 1d6+19 + 1d6 Sonic
Ranged attack: +14/+9/+4 (base)
Buffed Ranged Attack: +21/+16/+11
Space/Reach: 5/5
Base Atk: +14/+9/+4 (base) ; Grapple: ??

Atk Options:
Spells 6/7/7/7/6/5/5/4/3/2
Buffed Spells Available:
Spells 6/8/8/8/8/6/6/5/5/3

Spell-like abilities:
Special Actions:
______________________________
Abilities Str 13, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 8
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 22, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 34, Cha 8 (Spell Buffed)
Special Qualities: Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natureís Lure, Wild Shape, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Companion Spellbound, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level
Skills: Concentration (+24), Handle Animal (+5), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+14), Spot (+20), Survival (+10)

Skills: Concentration (+26), Handle Animal (+7), Heal (+21), Knowledge-Nature (+23), Listen (+23), Search (+12), Spellcraft (+15), Spot (+23), Survival (+16)
_______________________________
Equipment:


Wild Dark Leaf Breastplate +3, Ghost Touch 51450
Wild Darkwood Heavy Shield +3 36000
Retributive Amulet/Wisdom +6/ Con +6 164000
Wilding Clasp 4000 (for Amulet)
Vest of Resistence +5 25000
Wilding Clasp (for vest) 4000
Scarab: Golembane 2500 (attached to vest)
Ring of Gr. Counterspell/Sustenence/Mind Shielding 31750
Circlet for Shapechange 1500
40 Applications of Diamond Dust (stoneskin) 1000
Dukar Hand Coral (Right Hand) 1600
Tongues Scroll 700
Arcane Sight Scroll 375
Stoneskin scroll (x2) 2750
Heal scroll (x3) 4950
Cure moderate wounds potion (x6) 1800
Permanency Scroll (tongues) 10125
Permanency Scroll (Arcane sight) 10125
Permanency Scroll (See invisibility) 10125
See Invisibility scroll 150
Iridescent Ioun Stone 18000

Club +1 300
-- Bane: Undead
-- Ghost Touch
-- Screaming (Ghostwalk) 32000

Ring of Adamantine Touch 6000
--Ring of the Beast 6000
--Enduring Arcana 9000

Garnet (100gp)
Aquamarine (100gp)
Tourmaline (100gp)
Pearl (100gp)
Wilding Clasp (for Club) 4000

Total: 439,600




Memorized Spells:
Spells 6/8/8/8/8/6/6/5/5/3

0 Level #6- Guidance, Light, Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Know Direction, Cure Minor Wounds

1st Level #7 (8) - Omen of Peril, Faerie Fire (x2), Magic Stone, Snake's Swiftness (x2), Silvered Claws, (Animate Water)

2nd Level #7 (8)- Dessication, Briar Web, Healing Sting, Saltray, Snake's Swiftness (Mass), Resist Energy, Extended Babu Slime, (Align Fang)

3rd Level #7 (8)- Green Fire, Energy Vortex, Girallon's Blessing, Spikes, Creaking Cacophony, Giant's Wrath, Brittleskin, (Crumble)

4th Level #6 (8)- Arc of Lightning, Magic Fang (Superior), Vortex of Teeth, Spike Stones, Flamestrike, Frost Bite, (Arc of Lightning, Eye of the Hurricane)

5th Level #5 (6)- Spore Cloak, Quill Blast, Greater Stone Shape, Rejuvenation Cocoon, Blackwater Tentacle, (Stoneskin)

6th Level #5 (6)- Miasma, Anger of the Noonday Sun, Antilife Shell, Greater Dispel Magic, (Wall of Stone)

7th Level #4 (5)- Slime Wave, Heal, Fire Storm, Find the Path (Extended), (Heal)

8th Level #3 (5)- Sunburst, Stormrage, Earthquake, (Reverse Gravity, Stormrage)

9th Level #2 (3) - Summon Elemental Monolith, Cast in Stone, (Undermaster)

LEGENDARY APE FORM

Gregor Glenfiddich
NG Medium Animal (Legendary Ape Form)
Initiative +7;
Initiative +11
Senses: Low Light Vision, Scent, Listen +17, Spot +26
Senses: Listen +23, Spot +32
Languages Common, Druidic, Draconic (Any, due to Tongues)
_____________________________
AC 39, touch 16, flat-footed 38;
(+8 armor, +4 Dex, +5 shield, +11 natural)
AC: 58 Touch 27, flat 41 (vs. evil 60 / 28 / 60)
+10 Armor, +7 Dex, +10 Shield, +8 NAT, +7 NAE, +5 Deflection, +2 Luck, +2 Sacred
hp 189 (18 HD); DR
HP: 239 (40+2d8)
Resist: depends on what spell I cast
Fort +22, Ref +14, Will +23 (+4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
Fort +33, Ref +28, Will +38 (+4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey)
______________________________
Speed 40 ft
Speed 50 ft
Melee (+1 Club) 24/19/14 (Bane vs. Undead) = 1d6+12 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (Claw) 23/18/13 = 1d10+10
Melee (Bite) 21 = 2d6+5
Melee (Claw, buffed) 41/36/31 (Bane v. Undead) = 1d10+26 + 1d6 sonic
Melee (Bite) 39 = 2d6+18
Melee (+1 Club, buffed) 47/42/37 (Bane vs. Undead) = 1d6+33 + 1d6 sonic

Space/Reach 5/5 ft.
Base Atk 13/8/3 (+18); Grapple ??
Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+10), 1x Bite (2d6+5)
Special Attack: Rend (2d8+15)

Attack Options: 2x Claws (1d10+26), 1x Bite (2d6+9)
Special Attack: Rend (2d10+39)

______________________________

Abilities: Str 30, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 11
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 25, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 34, Cha 15

Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natureís Lure, Wild Shape, Venom Immunity, A Thousand Faces, Timeless Body

Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Improved Initiative, Natural Spell, Improved Natural Attack (Claws), Fast Wild Shape, Beastial Charge, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, All Druid Feats up to 18th Level
Skills: Concentration (+24), Handle Animal (+9), Heal (+15), Knowledge-Nature (+22), Listen (+17), Search (+11), Spellcraft (+6), Spot (+20), Survival (+10)

Skills: Concentration (+27), Climb (+38), Handle Animal (+8), Heal (+21), Jump (+19), Knowledge-Nature (+23), Listen (+23), Search (+12), Spellcraft (+15), Spot (+32), Survival (+16), Swim (+19), Tumble (+7)

Apes, being humanoid and medium sized at that, can wield weapons and wear rings, etc. just like a normal human. At least, that's what everything I've read on various DnD sites has said.


Dire Bear
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 16d8+ 219 (269 hp)
Initiative: +1 (+6)
Speed: 40 ft. (50 ft)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Armor Class: 37 (-1 size, +6 Dex, +8 NA, +7 NAE, +2 Luck, +5 DeflectTouch 22, Flat Footed 37
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+23 (+12/+26)
Attack: Claw +19 melee (2d4+10)
Attack: Claw +47 (2d4+28)
Full Attack: 2 claws +19 melee (2d4+10) and bite +13 melee (2d8+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +47 melee (2d4+28) and bite +41 melee (2d8+17)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Tricks: Attack, Come, Defend, Down, Heel, Track, Seek, Guard, Stay
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9Fort+26, Ref +27, Will +24
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 15, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Abilities: Str 49, Dex 23, Con 27, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Listen +15 (+17), Spot +15 (+17), Swim +21
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw), Improved Toughness

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 02:08 AM
In the morning, after another candle is lit, put into a lantern, and prayed before, Fiona rises. She is more sombre than she had been, although her face is lit by a shimmering golden glow.

Nearby, a proud, broad-shouldered figure looms. The angel Ex Machina (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35655), sword in hand and bow at its belt, looms nearly twenty feet in the air. A deep, brassy voice booms out, echoed more gently in your minds.

A few more spells, and then we are as ready as we shall ever be. May Pelor's grace shine on all of you this day.

Kat Steel
2007-12-21, 08:29 AM
Martina

The young she-elf approaches the "Door" and search' it for anything unusual: marking, letters/hiroglyph, trap triggers, etc


[roll0]


She points out anything she finds to the learned sages in the group, as they might remember some more lore associated with this location if they see these things

Sxoa
2007-12-21, 08:46 AM
Martina's search of the sphere does not turn up anything unusual, beyond the fact that it is a large opalescent sphere of light.
the portal is not contained in a doorway or the ilk. It is just a sphere (not a full sphere as part of it extends into the ground, but more than a hemisphere) of multicolored light resting on the floor.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-21, 11:13 AM
"Well, friends" the ape says "Do we want to hold hands, or use some rope so's we stay together?"

"Best not to tie it, but just hang on to it, if we decide to use it. May get in the way of moving, if we tie it."

He scrambles up the huge bear's leg, and straddles the great animal's neck.

The giant bear raises it's head up slightly, and the druid-ape pats it reassuringly on the head. The bear snuffs out a breath of air, then lowers it's head, ready to enter the portal.

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 02:01 PM
Fiona

She takes a simple coil of rope from her pack and carefully reseals the haversack. Fiona feeds out the rope to all of her companions, and smiles as she accepts the newest incarnation of Joy from Telieron. She nestles him into the crook of her shoulder again.

Hello, or hello again, friend. I look forward to a day of grand adventure - and a safe return home.

She takes up a spot near the middle of the rope, next to Ex Machina. She releases her shield into the air, where it hovers expectantly, and she takes up her mace in her other hand.

Ready when you all are.

douglas
2007-12-21, 02:05 PM
Ranvor

"I, for one, plan to go through with weapon drawn and ready. As this requires both of my hands... One or two of you are welcome to keep a hand on my shoulder or some such while we make the jump, but I don't want my movement restricted by tied rope and I don't have the free hand to hold it."

Ranvor suits actions to words and draws his sword, shield already floating around him, ready to go.

Seribro
2007-12-21, 02:27 PM
Memphis instructs Intellect to get an extended chain ready for a level 5 spell and then makes the weaving, followed by another weaving with a persistent chain level 4. You all feel a tingling in your skin as it hardens and toughens up. Pinching yourself to see if your dreaming becomes very difficult now. Then his voice echos through your minds as he puts down some basic rules of survival.
Alright people. What ever happends when we reach the other side, stick together! If I need to cast an emergency transport or anything of the likes, I'm not going to run after each of you separately to link the chain, got it? This is the grinder were talking about and the only way to survive out there is by teamwork. We of the Arcane Order organize all kinds of expeditions so I have some experience with dungeoneering. However, not even I know what to expect on the other side. I have some spells on the ready that might keep you from dying an instant horrible death, but once again, I can only save any arses that are within my reach. Now, anyone who needs to take a last minut leak or say his prayer? Otherwise, I'm ready. Oh and Intellect, when we make the jump, keep yourself ready to chain a spell, just in case we are dropped in the middle of a combat zone or something like that.

Behind him a soft yelping sounds allong with the tingling sound of 'last-minute-leaking'.
Seems like weasel is having second thoughts
Ah don't worry, he is always a bit nervous before the jump, aint that right boy? Don't worry, nothings going to happen.
The dragon growls as if saying "Yeah right, who your trying to fool here?!"

resources used:
spells: 1xstoneskin, 1x telepathic bond
1 bag of diamond dust
2 uses of cooperative casting, 9 left (+3 when borowing tiara of intelect)

Kat Steel
2007-12-21, 02:50 PM
Martina

"Ranvor if you're ok, I'll simply hold your shirt and will let go and move away once we are all on the other side"

She hold the rope in her right hand and also grabs Ranvor's shirt, in her left she has her bow, she quickly glances at the quiver that rests on her right hip.



Just so we know what we're talking about, she has:
20 standard arrows
10 mstw arrows
10 blunt arrows
5 dragonbreath
5 silver
5 cold iron
5 adamantine
5 cold iron

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 03:26 PM
Fiona

Fiona nods to Teliron.

Ready as you'll ever be?

GryffonDurime
2007-12-21, 04:41 PM
Fiona

Fiona nods to Teliron.

Ready as you'll ever be?

"I suppose so," the Spellscale replies back before tucking the lower half of his face back behind a silken scarf. An instant later he shifts again, becoming an angel only slightly smaller and less regal than the one at Fiona's side. All those Eidolons who've not been claimed rest on his shoulders.

Seribro
2007-12-21, 05:00 PM
As the last one nods to be ready, the group moves forward, each with one hand (claws, paws, jaws, whatever) on the rope yet ready to let go on a moments notice. As one long string of bolt adventurers they step into the sphere awaiting the transportation to a world only known from vague stories and rumors. A world that can only be described as a true deathtrap.

Sxoa
2007-12-21, 07:52 PM
As you appear on the other side of the portal a number of things become immediately apparent.

It is completely dark. Even your ebon eyes cannot pierce the murky gloom.
You are underwater.
The water is boiling hot.
There is a crushing pressure pushing in at you from all sides, as if the water itself was trying to squeeze the very life out of you.


Following these rapid revelations your magical senses (blindsight) begin to fill in the details that your eyes and ears do not. There is something gargantuan with many limbs above you, writhing about. The chamber you are in is cylindrical, approximately 30 feet across. The thing above you is backed up against some sort of ceiling, about 40 feet above the center of your entourage. Below, perhaps another 20 feet, you can sense thrashing water, stirred up by the rapid movement of many blades slicing through it.

Finally, you notice something unsettling. The water tastes and smells of blood as you draw breath from it. Your blindsight detects bits and pieces of what you can only assume are dismembered bodies. Strangely though you do not detect any stray equipment...



Everyone who breathes is now holding their breath.
Everyone takes 1d6 points of fire damage from the boiling water on their turn (you can roll this yourself if you're not immune.)
Everyone needs to make a fort save DC 15


I'll give you people's exact locations tomorrow, but its almost 2AM here and I'm off to sleep. This is a preview to give you an idea of what's going down, and to give you some time to think of your actions.

order of actions is:
Martina +9 = 29
Gregor Glenfiddich +11 = 28
Ex Machina +14 = 26
Sympathy (+6?) = 24
Dire Bear +6 = 23
Saint Fiona the Unground +4 = 22
Freedom (+6?) = 21
Intellect (+6?) = 18
Ranvor +10 = 13
Serenity (+6?) = 11
Joy (+6?) = 10
Fury (+6?) = 7
Teliron +4 = 6
Weasel (+4?) = 5
and last but not leastÖ
Memphis -1 = 1


I don't know the eidolon's buffed stats so thats a guess. Same with Weasel.

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 08:58 PM
Fiona

Wha? Ah. Goodness me! Well, will it be fight upwards or flight downwards, everyone?

[roll0] Fiona fortitude save, +4 if it's a poison effect
[roll1] Ex Machina fortitude save

TheMeanDM
2007-12-21, 09:36 PM
"This is quite strange, and a bit unexpected." The ape-man muses aloud.

"There's nothing magical we couldn't see through, but it's not normal darkness either...." he says.



Fort Save:
Die roll for gregor fort save
1d20+33-> [4,33] = (37)


1d20+33=37 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1440221)

Writhing Limbs + Darkness we can't see through...?...

Besides "blood", does the water taste....weird? Salty? Oily?

douglas
2007-12-21, 10:14 PM
Ranvor

Well now, this could have been unpleasant if not for our preparations. All right everyone, I'll be leading a charge on that thing in a moment. Who's with me?

All of us can breathe underwater thanks to Water Breathing.
All of us are immune to fire.
Fort save: [roll0]

I plan to use War Master's Charge on my turn. Anyone who goes before me (Gregor, Ex Machina, Dire Bear, Fiona, and a few of the eidolons) and still has at least 10' to go to get into attack range at that time will be able to come with me at the cost of an immediate action. Charging as part of this maneuver will not provoke AoOs. I suggest that each of you in the list that wants to make melee attacks do the following: delay until my turn; spend an immediate action to charge the beast; take your full turn, possibly including a full attack, minus only your swift action.

Seribro
2007-12-21, 10:21 PM
Or I could just make us unsubstantial and float us passed the dangers to a safe spot to land...

GryffonDurime
2007-12-21, 10:36 PM
I'm beginning to regret my decision not to bring a weapon, the angelic Teliron offers serenely, I'm afraid I'm no real help unless I can speak.

GryffonDurime
2007-12-21, 10:45 PM
Apologies for the doublepost, I forgot to make a save:

[roll0]

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 11:20 PM
Ex Machina's reverberant thoughts echo in everyone's minds.

I am with you, Ranvor.

Fiona pipes up as well.

I'm in.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-21, 11:34 PM
Absolutely. Lead the way. Gregor mentally projects to everyone.

He mutters a command to his bear companion.

douglas
2007-12-21, 11:51 PM
Ranvor
The following post assumes nothing happens before Ranvor's action to make this a bad idea or unworkable. Martina gets to move first and, depending on its initiative, the monster.

All righty then, spread out, get ready, aaand CHARGE!

Here's how the charge works for you bunch (Fiona, Ex Machina, Gregor, and the bear): it only takes your immediate action, not the full round action normally required to charge, make your normal charge attack routine with a +10 bonus on the attack roll in addition to the normal bonus for charging, and roll normal damage with a +25 bonus. Moving as part of this charge does not provoke AoOs. Assuming the word "gargantuan" was used to describe this thing's game mechanical size, medium creatures get +3d6 and large get +2d6 damage from Fell the Greatest Foe.

Here are my rolls (I get +50 damage instead of +25):
Attack:[roll0] (37 normal, +3 for being in a Diamond Mind stance, +2 for using a strike from Mastery of Nine, +2 for charging, +10 for War Master's Charge)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] acid (2d6+22 normal, +3d6 Fell the Greatest Foe, +6 Mastery of Nine, +50 War Master's Charge, +1d6 acid Weapon of Energy)

If I hit and at least one of you does, it's stunned for one round (unless it's immune to that).

TheMeanDM
2007-12-22, 12:30 AM
Gregor leaps off of his bear, charging forward to attack the writhing mass with his club.


Die roll for gregor attacks
1d20+59->[16,59] = (75)

1d20+59=75, (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1440353)


DAMAGE FOR ATTACKS 1
Die roll for gregor damage 1
1d6+33->[6,33] = (39)

1d6 (sonic) ->[4] = (4)

1d6+33=39, 1d6=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1440363)

Edits:

1) didn't realize it was just one (1) charge attack. Thought I read somewhere he said it was "full attacks". Edited out the 2nd & 3rd attacks (darn, #3 was a crit, too!)
2) forgot to add "Fell the Greatest Foe" damage

Die roll for fell greatest foe damage
3d6->[6,3,2] = (11)


3d6=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1440736)

TOTAL DAMAGE FOR 3 ATTACKS
43+11+25 = 79

Notes:
1) Counts as either Bludgeoning or Piercing, whichever is better.
2) Undead Bane (+2d6 Damage)

Bane Damage:
Die roll for gregor undead bane dmg
2d6->[6,6] = (12)

2d6=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1440743)


Total Damage if undead: 91

Sxoa
2007-12-22, 09:28 AM
The water tastes like salt water with blood and something else in it. You're not sure what it is (if you want you can make some knowledge checks to try and figure it out).

None of your magic seems to pierce the darkness. Even True Seeing and Ebon Eyes seem impeded by the gloom.

Memphis's mind is bombarded with warnings of extreme imminent danger to his companions and himself.

First off, I'd like people to roll on this forum if possible. A quick refresher if you don't know how:I think it goes:
rollXdY+Z/roll
put the word roll and /roll in [] obviously. The X is the number of dice you want to roll. The Y is the number of sides it has. The Z is the number you want to add to it. If the +Z makes it nonfunctional just add it on afterwards.
Ok now a quick layout picture:http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/sxoa/Fig1Superhelpfuldiagram.jpg
The slashing blades are in the spaces directly below Ex Machina. Compass is standard (up on the page is North, South is down on the page etc.).
The space involved may make some of your actions somewhat difficult to work, so figure that out. I need to get confirmation that everyone before Ravnor is waiting.

Are the Eidolons participating in the charge? Incidentally, are you, GryffonDurime, maintaining control over the Eidolons or are the players whose character they're piggybacking on controlling their actions?

As you can see since Ex Machina's is farther down her blindsight extends farther down then any of yours. She senses a tiny (sized) thing, wriggling in the water along the southern wall of the cylinder 60 feet below her.

Clarifications on the water:

Toliudar brought up a point of clarification that I need to make: I meant all of you who breathe air are now holding your breathes. You can breathe the water just fine.

As long as Teliron has water breathing he can speak underwater (as can anyone else so enchanted). This is different from no longer needs to breathe (such as granted by an ioun stone).

And finally, I'm off-line until the 25th so more posts by me until then. I tell you all what happens when I get back.

Good luck and happy holidays!

Toliudar
2007-12-22, 09:47 AM
Feeling the holy warrior's surge, Ex Machina soars up towards the creature, leading with his gleaming sword.

Attack roll (+44 base, +2 for charging, +10 for Warmaster's Charge)
, crit on natural 19 or 20.
Crit is auto-confirmed if creature is evil, otherwise [roll1]

Slashing damage (4d6+29 base, +25 Warmaster's charge, +1d6 for size difference) [roll2]
Acid damage [roll3]
Holy Damage (if target is evil) [roll4]

Holding off stating his full-round action pending results of this attack.

Fiona's mace seems fairly to glow - or would, if they weren't surrounded by stark blackness - with the blessings of the Sun God, as she too streaks forward.

Attack roll (+46 base, +2 for charging, +10 for Warmaster's charge)
[roll5] Crit on natural 20
[roll6] Confirmation of crit. Auto-confirmed if creature is evil.

Bludgeoning Damage (1d8+17 base, +25 for Warmaster's Charge, +3d6 for size difference)
[roll]1d8+3d6+42 See next post - total damage is 59
Acid Damage [roll7]
Holy Damage [roll8], if target is evil
Saint damage [roll9] if target is evil, or [roll10] if it is undead or an evil outsider
Magebane damage [roll11] if the creature has spells or SLA

Fiona is also waiting to see the effect of the charge before stating a full-round action.

Toliudar
2007-12-22, 09:50 AM
Sorry for the double post. I forgot that the board roller doesn't like multiple die times in the same roll. Here's Fiona's base damage on her charge attack:

[roll0]

And the Fell the greatest foe dice:

[roll1]

Kat Steel
2007-12-22, 09:51 AM
Martina







Once Martina, has gotten her bearings she releases Ranvor's shirt and the rope, listening to the conversation in her head, she lets the others charge the creature before moving 5ft towards the creature (35ft away now I guess) and launching a volley of arrows


Attack:
taking (-14) penalty for 35ft distance from creature due to water
[rollv=1st arrow]1d20+21
1d20+16
1d20+11

add +2 to each - if the creature has any arcane spells slots prepared or available, or has the ability to use arcane spell-like abilities

Damage: I'll roll it all separately as I don't know what it might be imune to
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

is the creature evil? as this will affect the damage rolls - if so add
[roll5]

is it an arcane caster? - if so add
[roll6]

Kat Steel
2007-12-22, 09:56 AM
sorry for teh double post


Attack:
taking (-14) penalty for 35ft distance from creature due to water
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

add +2 to each - if the creature has any arcane spells slots prepared or available, or has the ability to use arcane spell-like abilities

Seribro
2007-12-22, 10:27 AM
When Memphis notices all of his allies moving straight up in a seemingly coordinated charge, he lets out a small sigh. At least they were fighting effectively. Lets just hope they could wrack the creature enough havoc before it gets a chance to recover himself.
Intelect, chained levels six spell please
One chained level 6 coming right up!
He aimed his finger down below and a thin green beam sprouted from it, striking towards the blade in the middle
chained spell-like ability disintegrate (since the metamagic does not increase the slot required to cast it, it can be used on spell-like abilities just as sudden metamagic spells and metamagic applied by rods)
concentrate to cast on the defense: [roll0]
ranged touch attack[roll1] damage (just in case these things react different from mundane objects) [roll2]
arching to the other blades:
ranged touch attack[roll3] damage [roll4] 1
ranged touch attack[roll5] damage [roll6] 2
ranged touch attack[roll7] damage [roll8] 3
ranged touch attack[roll9] damage [roll10] 4
ranged touch attack[roll11] damage [roll12] 5
ranged touch attack[roll13] damage [roll14] 6
ranged touch attack[roll15] damage [roll16] 7
ranged touch attack[roll17] damage [roll18] 8
ranged touch attack[roll19] damage [roll20] 9
ranged touch attack[roll21] damage [roll22] 10
ranged touch attack[roll23] damage [roll24] 11
ranged touch attack[roll25] damage [roll26] 12
ranged touch attack[roll27] damage [roll28] 13
ranged touch attack[roll29] damage [roll30] 14
ranged touch attack[roll31] damage [roll32] 15
ranged touch attack[roll33] damage [roll34] 16
ranged touch attack[roll35] damage [roll36] 17
ranged touch attack[roll37] damage [roll38] 18
ranged touch attack[roll39] damage [roll40] 19
ranged touch attack[roll41] damage [roll42] 20
Sorry, did not count how many blades there were so I just shoot the maximum amount of archings, namely 20 in my case

douglas
2007-12-22, 12:30 PM
The space involved may make some of your actions somewhat difficult to work, so figure that out.
Maybe later, but not for this charge. War Master's Charge says "You and allied creatures do not block each other when determining if you can charge." As long as attacking it requires moving at least 10', we can all do it.


I need to get confirmation that everyone before Ravnor is waiting.
TheMeanDM and Toliudar between them control all the melee characters that go before me, and they've each posted something to the effect of "I'm in" directed at me.


Are the Eidolons participating in the charge?
I assumed not. If they are, the attack bonus goes up by +2 for each one that participates and they need to roll their attacks (unarmed strikes? do they even have weapons?).


And finally, I'm off-line until the 25th so more posts by me until then. I tell you all what happens when I get back.

Good luck and happy holidays!
Happy Holidays to you too. See you in 3 or 4 days.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-22, 05:39 PM
The huge bear swims/flys straight into the gargantuan creature, it's massive claw raking across the beast's flesh.


Die roll for DB full attacks
1d20+49->[18,49] = (67)

1d20+49=67 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1441384)

Die roll for DB damage claw/claw/bite
2d4+51->[4,1,51] = (56)

2d4+51=56 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1441386)

Total Damage: 56

Edited: forgot the bear doesn't get full attacks this round.

GryffonDurime
2007-12-22, 07:26 PM
Teliron takes a swift moment to gather his thoughts and his angelic form melts away to reveal the form of a large elven creature with star-dappled features. An instant later and he shifts again, this time taking on the from of a globe of eldritch colors.

I apologize for my lack of weaponry...but I thought, perhaps an intangible form may be best.


Ghaele's Alternate Form to become intangible with 150' (Perfect) fly speed, ray attacks...you know, the same old stuff. I love Shapechange. Anyway, Eidolons are under the control of whoever has them, so be sure to keep track of how many Metamagic Effects and Cooperatives (9 each, I believe) your Eidolon has. Also, each Eidolon can raise 4 Double Wardings, and also has 1 Kaleidoscopic Death charge each.

Sxoa
2007-12-25, 07:47 AM
As Memphis is adjusting to these new circumstances his arcane weavings tell him to flee. Tragically he is unable to respond to warnings in time as the entire group senses him being beaten to death. Ten tentacles snake down out of the gloom and begin to batter the hapless old man, each strike seemingly more frustrated than the last that he remains standing (so to speak). As the last of the tentacle strikes rains down on him his body goes lifeless for just a moment as healing energy courses back through him.
For some reason though the divine healing does not seem to heal him to full life, as if the crushing assault he had taken was not just damaging to his body, but to his very soul as well. You all feel and hear a screeching bellow of malignant frustrated rage from above you. Four larger limbs bolt down from the beast and begin tearing into Memphisís supernaturally hardened flesh. One strikes a particularly monstrous blow, and all hook monstrous claws into him before rending flesh from bone in what the rest of you can only imagine would excruciatingly painful if it were not for the empyrial ecstacy enchantment. The beast lets out a more pleased sounding gurgle that turns you stomachs as its limbs withdraw pulling bits of flesh towards the center of the seething mass.
The onslaught is not over however as a final limb lashes out at Teliron coupled with a vicious bite attack. Though both are unsettling and the creatureís mere touch induces a brief burning sensation in your skin, neither seems to penetrate the mysticís radiant skin. Another frustrated screech sounds shrilly through the darkness.
Everyone who goes before the beast waits to participate in Ranvor's charge (or witness the results of the charge in the case of Martina).
Well thats a rough start for Memphis, but good gods man, you took a horrific amount of abuse before going down:
A peek at my notes as I calculated damage dealt.

Damage: 426-100 from damage reduction /2 =163=-10

Health: +110=100
Damage: 142-20 from damage reduction /2 = 71
70-10 from damage reduction /2 = 30
106-10 from damage reduction /2 = 48
159
-49

Presuming the eidolons are not flat-footed (I think they have the spell on them that makes it so they canít be) then they can raise their wardings as immediate actions. They need to make spell penetration rolls to see if they affect the beast.

Point of interest: the water does not detect as magical to arcane sight or itís ilk.

Well thatís it for the beastís turn. Anyone change their actions or is the charge a go go? If you're still charging it or doing the same action just link back to the previous post describing what you did (so its easier for me to find it).

Toliudar
2007-12-25, 09:32 AM
Fiona

Sxoa, I can't make out from your description or notes whether Memphis died a second time. If he's currently alive, Fiona goes ahead with her original action. If he's dead, substitute the one below), and then do the immediate charge action after this. Ex Machina's action is unchanged.

She is taking a move action to get to Memphis, and a standard action to cast Revivify.

Feeling the tentacles slash through the water, and hearing Memphis' mental "scream", followed by silence, Fiona fears the worst. Orienting on the mental shape that has just screamed, she is about to move towards him, but feels his presence again as one of Pelor's blessings kicks in. Reaching out to touch him while also touching a diamond in her pouch, she sends Pelor's blessing into him.

You cannot rest your weary bones yet, you kind old man.

Ex Machina

As the Solar gathers itself for the charge, it also reports: When we are finished above, there is a small shape swimming about below.

Sxoa
2007-12-25, 01:23 PM
A tentacle snakes down from the beast to intercept Saint Fiona as she makes her way to the remains of the body, but the holy women's impressive array of magical and physical defense deflects the blow harmlessly.

Life returns to Memphis and his flesh is restored. With a jolt he realizes that the enchantments that were once woven through his flesh are now absent and he can no longer breath the dark water around him.
Memphis did indeed "die" a second time (he went down to -43 hit points in the end). You need to make a concentration check to cast defensively...no wait, it looks like you auto succeed, so I'm presuming you were. I can't think of any it wouldn't, so it looks like your revivfy spell works fine.

Memphis's gear all works fine, but none of the spells cast on him are there any more (including the permanent ones).

douglas
2007-12-25, 01:30 PM
Life returns to Memphis and his flesh is restored. With a jolt he realizes that the enchantments that were once woven through his flesh are now absent and he can no longer breath the dark water around him.
Memphis did indeed "die" a second time (he went down to -43 hit points in the end). You need to make a concentration check to cast defensively...no wait, it looks like you auto succeed, so I'm presuming you were. I can't think of any it wouldn't, so it looks like your revivfy spell works fine.

Memphis's gear all works fine, but none of the spells cast on him are there any more (including the permanent ones).

Before you go resolving that, how about answering my post in the OOC thread and (if still necessary) waiting for the Eidolon to try saving him with a warding?

GryffonDurime
2007-12-25, 02:07 PM
Teliron sighs mercifully as the beast's tentacles pass across his flesh ineffectually.

Anyone who can perceive magic...are there any spells at work on that beast?


I agree with douglas, if my Eidolon suceeded with its wardings, Memphis didn't die. In fact, there's even a small chance that the beast was, depending on the warding Memphis wants to use (remember, I gave control of the Eidolon to who was holding it) the beast has a small chance of auto-dieing or being planeshifted randomly.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-26, 11:09 AM
"Everyone! The surrounding blackness is ink, like from an squid. It physically has to be cleared away to improve vision." Gregor thinks to the group.

Upon completing his attack, Gregor shifts forms (not that anyone can see him!).



http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50132.jpg

Chronotyryn
Large Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 17 (243 hp)
Initiative: +14
Speed: 30 ft., fly 70 ft. (average)
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 69 (Ė1 size, +4 Dex, +22 natural, +8 NAE, +5 Deflection, +2 Luck, +2 Sacred, +10 Armor, +7 Shield), touch 22, flatfooted 69
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+25
Attack: Rake +38 melee, or feather flurry +28 ranged
Full Attack: 2 rakes +38 melee and bite +32 melee and 2
wing buffets +32 melee, or feather flurry +28 ranged
Full Attack (weapons) +1 Club +48/+43/+38
Damage: Rake 1d8+24, bite 1d8+16, wing buffet 1d4+16,
feather flurry 2d6+8
Damage: Club 1d6+30 +1d6 Sonic
Face/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Dual actions, feather flurry, sonic
screech
Special Qualities: Acid resistance 20, adamantine
feathers, cold resistance 20, darkvision 60 ft., detect
magic, DR 20/Magic, electricity resistance 20, fire resistance
20, knowledgeable, low-light vision, sonic immunity (SLA's, Spells)
SR 31
Saves: Fort +35, Ref +32, Will +38
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 21, Con 21, Int 22, Wis 17, Cha 26
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 31, Con 29, Int 12, Wis 34, Cha 30
Skills:
Feats: Iron Will, Maximize Spell, Power Attack, Quicken
Spell, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Silent Spell (B), Still
Spell (B), Weapon Focus (rake)


Dual Actions (Su):
A chronotyryn has two distinct brains and two separate voice boxes. It can take 2 roundsí worth of actions in any given round, as if it were two creatures. Thus, it can use a full attack action and a double move; two full attack actions and two 5-foot steps; a full attack action, a move action, and a spell-like ability; two spell-like abilities and two move actions; and so on. If it is casting spells defensively, the chronotyryn must make separate Concentration
checks for each spell.

Feather Flurry (Ex):
Three times per day, a chronotyryn can launch a barrage of feathers at its opponents as a ranged
attack action. This attack has a maximum range of 60 feet with no range increment.

Sonic Screech (Su): Once per day, a chronotyryn can propel a 20-foot burst of incredible sound against its opponents. This attack deals 8d6 points of sonic damage, or half damage on a successful Reflex save (DC 26). The burst is centered on the chronotyryn.

Adamantine Feathers (Ex):
A chronotyrynís feathers are composed of an adamantine alloy. This provides the creature with the ability to damage foes with its feathers (see feather flurry, above).

Detect Magic (Su):
A chronotyryn can produce a detect magic effect (caster level 20th) at will.

Knowledgeable (Ex):
A chronotyryn makes Knowledge checks for any Knowledge skills as if it had a minimum of 10 ranks in that skill. To surpass the 10-rank minimum, the chronotyryn must assign more than 10 ranks to the skill as normal.

Sxoa
2007-12-26, 06:19 PM
Though none can see the walls of color raised up by the eidolon traveling with Memphis, all can clearly sense the beast's attacks striking the old man down, seemingly unphased by the intervening sorcery.

Ranvor's Warmaster's Charge is joined by Ex Machina, Gregor and the druid's nameless Dire Bear. The four mighty beings slam into the great mass of malignant evil with a righteous fury born of wrathful vengeance and a strong survival instinct. Cries of pain echo out through the water as weapon and claw tear into the beast. You notice that as your weapons rip through its body, it feels more like chopping rocky wood than a creature of flesh and bone.

Martina's arrows sail through the intervening water. She curses after each shot, feeling she could have fired better but fate is with her this time, and she senses the arrows plunge into the creature's form. The beast is remarkably easy to strike as it occupies nearly the entire width of the cylinder you find yourselves in. Simply pointing up is almost enough and thoughts of barns as seen from the side come to mind.

The eidolon failed to overcome spell resistance (with either warding) so Memphis does/did indeed kick the bucket. Its a short trip though as he is quickly revivified (I love that word).

So I tallied it up and you four (all hit) did a total of 298 damage (I added on the +25 from the warmaster's charge to Gregor's attack since it wasn't included). My poor little beasty! I'm pretty sure it's not going to last the round. The little guy never stood a chance ::tear::

For the sake of simplicity (though maybe you can figure it out since I think the Solar has detect evil always active), it is registering as evil for your attacks.

All three of Martina's arrows strike true, but before I tabulate their damage, a couple of things:
1)You need to roll up damage for two more arrows.
2)Your post says "Weapon of Energy." What type of energy damage is it doing (I think acid, but if somebody could confirm this that would be grand).

EDIT: Since you (Gregor/themeanDM) doesn't have a wilding clasp for the club (you do for the amulet and the vest) it gets absorbed into the new form, unless you drop it. Thanks for the new stat block, it's very much appreciated

TheMeanDM
2007-12-26, 07:44 PM
see ooc, dm :)

Kat Steel
2007-12-27, 06:11 AM
Damage for second and third arrow



Damage from second arrow
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Damage from third arrow
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

I think Acid was choosen for the Weapon of Energy spell - but I'm not 100% sure that's why I didn't specify it earlier - if any one could correct me I would be grateful

TheMeanDM
2007-12-27, 07:33 AM
I do believe acid was mentioned, though not decided upon...so I would say it's the default since it was the only thing mentioned.

Sxoa
2007-12-27, 09:44 AM
Martina's arrows stab into the beast's hide, as Ex Machina and the Great Bear ready to unleash another a volley of attacks on the monstrosity.
Martina does a total of 66 damage to the creature, for a grand total of 364. I'll be impressed/ecstatic if this thing makes it another round.

You guys can/do take your turns now, it goes in on initiative 20. I think the only people who need to do anything more are any eidolons that aren't just sitting there readying actions; Ex Machina and the Great Bear, who get to make full attacks, and the Memphis who needs to readjust to his air breathing ways.

MeanDM, I sent you a message. Also remember to keep posts here out of spoiler, in character ::finger wag::

Seribro
2007-12-27, 11:12 AM
((I like to request a short time-out untill the matter of Memphis dying is straightened out. Sorry for holding up the game, but to die is not something to take lightly.:smalleek: ))Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Game may continue, Memphis is currently stable at -1 yet suffocating slowly.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-27, 03:19 PM
Gregor, with blinding speed and a fury apparently fueled by the unnatural nature of this creature, powerfully pounds upon the garantuan beast with his magically enhanced club. The thorny spikes tear into the creature's flesh while the strong oak crushes it. Gregor yells at the beast, his voice eerily echoy, as if two people with a similar voice were talking at the same time. "Die you evil, vile *@$)% thing! Straight to HELL WITH YOU!" ***

Artan, the huge dire bear, roars in fury. His massive paws rake across the flesh of the thrashing beast. His large jaws clamp down upon the flesh, tearing gobs away.


*** due to the Tongues spell, if the creature is intelligent and has a language, it understands Gregor.

TOTAL DAMAGE: 252
(200 club + 15 Sonic + 37 Fell Greatest Foe

All rolls made here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3714024&posted=1#post3714024

Gregor's first full attacks:
#1
(1d20+48)[60]
Damage #1
(1d6+30)[31] + (1d6)[1] (sonic) + (2d6)[11] Fell Greatest Foe

#2
(1d20+43)[46]
(1d6+30)[32] + (1d6)[1] (sonic) + (2d6)[2] Fell Greatest Foe


#3
(1d20+38)[52]
(1d6+30)[36] + (1d6)[4] (sonic) + (2d6)[4] Fell Greatest Foe

Gregor's second set of full attacks (Dual Action Supernatural Ability)

Attack #1
(1d20+48)[64]
Damage #1
(1d6+30)[34] + (1d6)[3] (sonic) + (2d6)[3] Fell Greatest Foe

#2
(1d20+43)[53]
Damage #2
(1d6+30)[35] + (1d6)[3] (sonic) + (2d6)[9] Fell Greatest Foe

#3
(1d20+38)[47]
Damage #3
(1d6+30)[32] + (1d6)[3] (sonic) + (2d6)[8] Fell Greatest Foe


Artan the Dire Bear:
Rolls over here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3713880&postcount=8

Claw 1 attack:
(1d20+47)[64]
Claw 1 Damage:
(2d4+28)[36]

Claw 2:
(1d20+47)[58]
Claw 2 Damage:
(2d4+28)[33]

Bite Attack
(1d20+41)[52]
Bite Damage:
(2d8+17)[25]

Total Damage from Artan: 95

Sxoa
2007-12-27, 05:15 PM
With a shudder and a thrash the creature dies, vile ichor pouring out into the dark water. Its great bulk no longer kept afloat by powerful muscles begins to sink downward like a stone.
Good job you guys! I'm very impressed!

@themeanDM: I forgot about Chronotyryns and their duel mind ability! It didn't actually make a difference here as both you and the bear individually would have more than killed it. Anyways, while technically legal by the RAW I'm going to disallow that particular aspect of their form via DM fiat.

The in game reasoning for this is that you have a second brain, but not a second mind to occupy it. The second brain is essentially brain dead and in a vegetative state, though this doesn't hinder your actions.

The metagame reasoning is that I don't want everyone who shapeshift turning into one of these (as it takes out any variety which is of course the spice of life:smallsmile:). Another issue would be that every sorcerous creature you fight could (and probably would) turn into one, which would be unbalancing in the other direction. Its not fair to only partially restrict it, so I'm toasting it in its entirety. You can still turn into a Chronotyryn and gain its other legal abilities.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-27, 10:48 PM
Gregor chants the words to a spell, and the water in front of him coalesces into a vaguely humanoid form.

"Clean the water of this ink, quickly but safely." he instructs the creature.



casting: Animate Water

Transmutation [Water]
Level: Druid 1
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Cube of water up to 5 ft. on
a side
Duration: Concentration, up to
1 round/level (D)
You indicate a patch of water with a
hand shaking from pent-up divine spell
power, and the liquid rises into a vaguely
humanoid shape.

This spell functions like animate fire,
but you can instead animate a quantity
of water of at least 4 cubic feet into a
Small water elemental (MM 100).

Seribro
2007-12-28, 01:21 PM
Still dizzy, shaky and felling awfully sick as if he had just been spinning for over an hour in a carousel with way to much beer in his stomach, he blinks to get his arcane sight and blind sense sharp again. All his companions still seemed alive, there was the blade barrier beneath him and a above was a ten ton creature coming... Oh crap...

Toliudar
2007-12-28, 05:19 PM
Fiona

Still next to the still form of Memphis, Fiona takes hold of the wizard's struggling form. Feeling for his form coughing in the enclosing ink, she brings Pelor's blessings to him, and keeps hold, towing him downwards towards, but not into, the whirling blades.

Casting a Cure Critical Wounds (auto-maximized as a Radiant Servant ability), so that Memphis regains 52 hit points. She moves down to 10' above the blades, trying to use her blindsense to spot the bottom, or an opening.

Ex Machina

Darting back down through the drifting tendrils of the tentacled creature, Ex Machina flies down to Memphis and Fiona and applies a simple blessing of Pelor to him.

Dancing greatsword that has cleave and great cleave abilities - I thought maybe it could carve out a space.

If helpful, strength check for the Solar: [roll0]

Just as an experiment, and to more solidly bring him back to the land of the living, converting Consecrate to Cure Moderate Wounds on Memphis. I'll roll in the OOC thread.

Edit: Now that Gregor's got the calamari, changing Ex Machina's Round 1 full round action.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-28, 07:17 PM
Gregor shifts forms once more, this time assuming a huge humanoid form.

Using his immense strength, Gregor shoves the falling corpse as close to the ceiling and one of the side walls as possible.



The only thing I'm using it for right now is it's brute strength.

Ocean Giant Mountain Giant
Huge Giant (Cold, Aquatic)

Abilities: Str 39, Dex 15, Con 28, Int 11,Wis 14, Cha 18

Enhanced Abilities:
Abilities: Str 55, Dex 25, Con 36, Int 12,Wis 34, Cha 22

Strength Roll:

[roll0]

Sxoa
2007-12-29, 07:19 AM
Previously on The Grinder...
Quick recap to make sure everyone is aware of what is going on:
You all appear.
Initiative begins
Martina 29: Delays
Gregor 28: Delays
Ex Machina 6: Delays
Sympathy 24: Readies to Metamagic
Artan the Dire Bear 23: Delays
Saint Fiona the Unground 22: Delays
Freedom 21: Readies to Metamagic

SQUID DEMON 20: "kills" Memphis

Saint Fiona the Unground 19: Revivifies Memphis, (you can cast your quickened heal spell here too if you want).
Intellect 18: Readies to Metamagic, Raises Wardings as immediate action
Ranvor 13: Warmaster's Charge (Gregor, Ex Machina, and Artan all use immediate actions to participate)
Martina 13: Peppers with Arrows.
Artan the Dire Bear 13: Kills Beast, beast starts sinking*.
Gregor Glenfiddich 13: Shape Changes**, Kills Beast (although he can do something else if he wants, Artan can kill it)

Ex Machina: Starts carving up some calamari

Current Initiative Count

The following were stated before the beast got whacked ::tear::

Serenity 11: Readies to Metamagic
Joy 10: Readies to Metamagic
Fury 7: Readies to Metamagic
Teliron 6: Changes Shape (anything else?)
Weasel 5: No action Stated
Memphis 1: Fast Healing heals 3 points, raising him to consciousness if not already conscious from Fiona. CAN take actions.
END OF ROUND 1:

ROUND 2 Initiative Order:
Sympathy 24
Freedom 21

SQUID DEMON CORPSE 20: Sinks 30 feet down if unhindered

Saint Fiona the Unground 19
Intellect 18
Ranvor 13
Martina 13
Artan the Dire Bear 13
Gregor Glenfiddich 13
Ex Machina 13
Serenity 11
Joy 10
Fury 7
Teliron 6
Weasel 5
Memphis 1


*The beast starts sinking this turn, but due to the quantum sequential nature of D&D it will only move it's 30 feet next round.
** I'm presuming that Artan Kills the Beast and Gregor shapeshifts into an Ocean Giant (If an Ocean Giant Mountain Giant is not a typo what is it? Where is it from?) on his turn instead of a Chronotyryn, and begins trying to hold the creature up/push it to the side. Holding it up is based on carrying capacity modified by submersion in water.

Unmodified by favorable conditions, Gregor can lift 17024 lbs as a light load (the maximum for flying) with his new Strength of 55. 51200 lbs is the maximum heavy load which allows for a push/drag of 256000 lbs (128 tons). This means he can push the beast's corpse into the side of the cylinder, and make room.

Toliudar
2007-12-29, 08:35 AM
Fiona's first round action would have taken place on or about initiative 19, since she was delaying and acted as soon as she felt Memphis die. Especially since Memphis will come up to 1 hp on his action in round 1, she's fine to wait until round 2 to do the healing.

Ex Machina will use his round 1 full action to hold up the calamari until Gregor can come in as well.

TheMeanDM
2007-12-29, 08:56 AM
As Artan the great Dire Bear strikes the fatal blow, and the gargantuan creature goes lifeless, Gregor shifts into the form of a huge, coppery-skinned humanoid with a fish-like tail where his legs should be.



Yeah, I'll let Artan kill it, and then shove it's corpse up/out of the way during ROUND 1.

Ocean Giant is from Monster Manual 2.



Previously on The Grinder...

Gregor Glenfiddich 13: Shape Changes**, Kills Beast (although he can do something else if he wants, Artan can kill it)
Saint Fiona the Unground 13: Revivifies Memphis, (you can cast your quickened heal spell here too if you want).
Ex Machina: Starts carving up some calamari

Current Initiative Count

The following were stated before the beast got whacked ::tear::


*The beast starts sinking this turn, but due to the quantum sequential nature of D&D it will only move it's 30 feet next round.
** I'm presuming that Artan Kills the Beast and Gregor shapeshifts into an Ocean Giant (If an Ocean Giant Mountain Giant is not a typo what is it? Where is it from?) on his turn instead of a Chronotyryn, and begins trying to hold the creature up/push it to the side. Holding it up is based on carrying capacity modified by submersion in water.

Unmodified by favorable conditions, Gregor can lift 17024 lbs as a light load (the maximum for flying) with his new Strength of 55. 51200 lbs is the maximum heavy load which allows for a push/drag of 256000 lbs (128 tons). This means he can push the beast's corpse into the side of the cylinder, and make room.

Seribro
2007-12-29, 11:02 AM
well, since going back in tie is a bitch and it has turned out that Memphis in fact was able to act, rule technically speaking, I instead think it would be easiest to rule that he was delaying. That way, we wont need to wait for the entire initiative tree to pass us by and still not mess up the actions that have allready been stated.

When Memphis sees his allies take controll over the situation, he nods and thinks of a way that would solve the whole escaping matter without expending any resources.
Weasel, remember our adventure in the South-Shaarmid desert, when we came across the tombs of the wyrmlord? We could use a purple worm right now.
The Silver dragon retracts his wings and paws the body lengthens up to about 80 feet in length. The silvery scales make way for purple plates and the jaws seem to grow out untill they cover most off what used to be the dragons face. It then curls forward through the water and begins to eat at the walls, coughing up the raw material on the side of the tube where it rains down and gets pulverized in the blade barrier.

swift: change shape to purple worm
move: swim to side of tube opposed to the one that the squid-thing is being dumped.
move: burrow speed 20 ft straight into the tubes wall.
Guys, we can avoid any further mishaps and traps in this tube if we dig a tunnel parallel to it. With four shape changers, we should be able to build quiet the tube. Any of you that know the delver?

TheMeanDM
2007-12-29, 11:34 AM
Aye, I've met a fairly strange lot 'o creatures in my days. Wide and far did we travel to fix that dragon and his masters' plans. But let me keep this off'n our backs for now.

Kat Steel
2007-12-31, 05:57 AM
Martina

The lithe elf, moves up and around the cretaure

"Gregor keep it floating but don't push it all the way up to the celling, let me have a look around and make sure the exit isn't this way."

Martina moves above the creature examining the area



[roll0]
[roll1]

Sxoa
2008-01-01, 09:37 AM
Weasel, in the form of a purple worm, smashes up against the side of the tube. His tunnelling jaws scrabble at the unyielding surface and he cannot penetrate into the side of the tube.

Martina looks about above the sinking beast, but does not find anything.
I think while technically a purple worm canít dig through rock, itís pretty clear that theyíre ment to, so Iím going to say they can.

However, Weasel finds that he is unable to dig through whatever the tube is made of.

A search takes a full round action to search a single five foot square (cube), you guys aren't in any pressing danger so we can move out of initiative count mode and Martina can scour the the entire top of the tube if you guys want.

Gregor is strong enough to push the creature up against the side, but not to support it's weight as light load (for purposes of your flight spell). Unless its a big deal that you want to keep it from sinking (in which case I'll need to calculate out some stuff like how it relates to your swim speed and lift off the ground weight limit) it slowly sinks down the wall as Gregor keeps it pressed over there. Hmm I just realized I might not have included size bonuses in my previous calculations, I'll have to go check them too if you care about keeping it suspended (as you can see I'm hoping not, but there is obviously no penalty if you do).

As a final note not particularly related to the game directly, I appreciate you guys being good sports about this game in general and the Chronotyryn thing in particular. Its very nice to not have to get into a long debate about why I'm DM fiating something. So thanks!:smallcool:

TheMeanDM
2008-01-01, 05:06 PM
I seem to recall that there was a bloody taste in the water when we arrived. Gregor thinks to the group.

Rather than keeping this beast propped up, let's cut it up, see what it's last meal was. We can feed the pieces to those...well...grinding blades...below and dispose of them.

Seeing the "worm" having trouble eating the walls, Gregor continues, mentally:

Getting this beastie off'n me would free me up to help figure things out too. I've an idea about those walls.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-01, 09:02 PM
This place is more dangerous than I thought, Teliron offers telepathically, resuming his angelic form. That...that beast ignored my wardings! What kind of monsters inhabit this place that can slip beneath even the Violet Veil?

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 01:42 AM
Fiona

Fiona gropes about below using her blindsight, checking on the position of the tiny form Ex Machina mentioned a moment before.

Clearly, most unpleasant ones, Teliron. It seems unlikely that spells alone will win the day in this place. And have a care - there is still a small creature below us, below the blades.

Sxoa
2008-01-02, 01:38 PM
The object drifts erratically downward, as if buffeted by currents. It drifts beyond the range of your dark vision.

Interestingly though you still directly detect evil (not lingering effects) for a brief moment after it leaves the range of your blindsight and then that too dissapears...

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 09:13 PM
As Fiona completes her ministrations to Memphis, Ex Machina gazes downwards through the inky bllackness towards the sound of churning blades.

Careful. There is another source of evil below us. I will attempt to pinpoint it.

The solar continues to refine its E-dar to get more information on the evil emanation(s) below.

Seribro
2008-01-03, 07:32 AM
All the more reason not to go that way. Water elemental, how is that cleaning coming? Gregor, try lowering the monster along the side of the tube into the blade barrier. Carefull though not to put your own fingers in it. Martina, anything that feels like a passageway or a shutter up there? Teliron, do you know the delver? If you do, see if its acids can work through the walls will you. Weasel can't get through as a purple worm so it might be metal-clad. If delvers acid is a no go, try the rustmonster. Weasel, you know the rustmonster right? That brown crustacean the size of a husky with a tail like a lobster that eats metal? You remember? Take its form.

Meanwhile he uses one of his spell-like abilities to bring alive a body of water roughly the size of an ogre. The water elemental lets a low vibrating sound as he answers the call. Memphis replies with instructions in the same wavering tongue and although very few others are likely to understand the aquan tongue, the elemental recieves it as:
Help out the other water elemental cleaning the waters so that we can have a better look around


Weasel-worm begins shrinking drastically and regrows his limbs to peddle through the water. When colliding with the wall again, he tries putting his rusting jaws in it to corrode a hole in the protective layer.

Kat Steel
2008-01-03, 09:07 AM
Martina

The she elf, moves/swims downwards going around the creature, to place herself next to the group

"I think the only way is down, has any one figured our if those blades are a magical effect or not. If they are a trap I cna try and disarm it."

She moves/swims around trying to spot anything that might be a mechanism for the blade barrier



[roll0]

Seribro
2008-01-03, 09:18 AM
Its magical all right. A permanent blade barrier or similar spell. Seeing that this dungeon is build as a test to see if one is worthy of becoming a god, I highly doubt any of would be able to break the spell. It has no mechanical parts, it merely is and always will be. If I am not mistaking, it is partly force magic so it extends to the ethereal plane. We could try swimming through and hope our fast healing ward will keep us alive to make it to the other side, But I dont feel like risking losing any limbs or fingers in the process. We may heal, but we don't regenerate. Lets try getting around the barrier first. I could use teleport spells, but that requires resources and several of them since there are to many of you to take you along all at once.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-03, 09:53 AM
Gregor starts feeding the tentacles down into the whirling blades, slowly, so as not to lose his grip/control over the rest of the creature.

Sxoa
2008-01-04, 03:10 PM
The creature's form begins to become rapidly purťed as it is run through the rapidly spin blades. You hear mostly what sounds like a hardwood tree being run through a wood chipper with fairly frequent cracks, like shattering stones. For a brief moment there are more fleshy noises, as if tough hard meat was being passed through the shredding force alongside everything else.

Ex Machina's detect evil can sense no more directly present evils from where she stands above the blades. Similarly Fiona, cannot detect the object from where she is.

As Weasel strokes his feathery antennae over the surface he detects the delicious (to his current senses) taste of metal. The first brush does not seem to affect the metal, as if it was enchanted and some how resisted. A second touch though, and the metal corrodes away, as if a hundred years or more flashed by in the blink of an eye. The depression created is approximately 10 feet deep you think.

The water now is becoming revoltingly vile. Filled with blood, foul ichor, ink, and now flaking metal. Its smell and taste are enough to turn a weak stomach.
Rust Monster antennae deliver their rust attack, not their bite.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-05, 12:46 AM
Beasts may conquer my wardings, but I doubt this barrier will...even if it does, it will be a minor expenditure to test. I'd rather not go poking holes into the walls until we can determine that what will be on the other side will be any better than what we currently deal with.

Teliron gestures swiftly downwards to the blade barrier, aiming to construct a warding wall.

If the blades can not penetrate, we need only don personal wardings. Perhaps the blades will not even survive this.

I can create a wall of wardings, 70 feet wide and 35 feet tall. I think that's more than adequate to "test the waters" with the blade barrier. Teliron's setting the wall right in the churning barrier if at all possible; it's an Indigo/Violet, so it prevents all Spells and their effects from crossing and, if that doesn't work, destroys them as if they were disintegrated.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-05, 09:25 AM
If you're able to disintigrate those blades, that's all well and good. But the tunnel would be fine too, me thinks.

Gregor stops feeding the creature into the grinding blades once he reaches the body, so as to allow his companions to try their abilities and spells.

Toliudar
2008-01-06, 12:01 PM
Fiona

Yes, if weasel can simply create a passage around the blades big enough for each of us, I see no reason to get rid of them now. However, it might be useful to know now whether the mechanical resources of this place are as resilient as the creatures here - experiment with one warded creature may be worthwhile.

Sxoa
2008-01-07, 12:05 PM
Weasel climbs into the hole he corroded in the metal and finds that the far wall is made of still more metal.

Answering this question as far as you know:

Just a question: is it just a metal tube or does the metal extend for many feet outward like as if we are digging through a metal mountain?
In case its just a tube, what does weasel find beyond the metal layer? Rock and/or earth, a mechanical installation, thin air, a space vacuum, the astral plane, more water, Never-ever-land, a grind meat storage?

Seribro
2008-01-08, 02:20 AM
Memphis comes closer to weasel and touches the hole. He is a bit surprised to feel the depth of the hole and has to conclude that this not just a thin mantle but pretty much a massive body, as if somebody carved the tube out of a lump like a child presses his thumb in a lump of clay.
Seems like stonework spells and creatures will be useless in this place. Rustmonster will be the way to tunnel this thing. Its all massive metal. But weasel could use some help to speed things up a bit. How many of you are familiar with the rustmonster?

TheMeanDM
2008-01-08, 10:50 AM
Well, I don't be knowin' that one. But I do have somethin' else in mind. you feel a slight mental shudder. Give me a moment. He feeds the remainder of the creature into the shredding blades, then moves to the entrance of the tube. He shifts form into a haggard humanoid creature.
Its stonelike features seem eroded and crumbling, like an ancient statue battered by the elements.

He descends into the tunnel, and begins hammering away at the "bottom" wall.


dust wight
Crumbling Touch (Su): A dust wightís slam attack, in addition to dealing damage, weakens objects crafted of metal or stone. Each time a creature is struck by a slam attack from a dust wight, any metal or stone armor worn by
the target takes 2d8+10 points of damage (Fortitude DC 23 half). If this attack destroys the armor, the dust wight gains 5 temporary hit points (which last for a maximum of 1 hour). The save DC is Strength-based.

The dust wightís slam attack deals double normal damage against creatures or objects crafted of metal or stone, such as a shield guardian or stone golem.

Meaning, it can attack a Metal Wall for...um...a minimum of 4d8+20 per hit...do I add the bonus damage from buffs too? That'd make it an additional +4 (+8) making it 4d8+28. I don't know how much it would destroy, and I know it's not 10' cube like a Rust Monster...but hey, at least it's something different :)

1st Round:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

2nd Round:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

3rd round:
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

4th round:
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

5th round:
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

TheMeanDM
2008-01-08, 10:54 AM
Gregor continues hammering away at the metal wall.


Total damage to wall by round:
149 1st
124 2nd
127 3rd
128 4th
130 5th

Sxoa
2008-01-08, 09:18 PM
Gregor's fists smash away at the metal, supernaturally weakening the metal with each mighty blow.

You don't do 4d8+20. The 2d8+10 is only against armor a targeted creature is wearing.

You do double slam damage, base slam damage for a dust wight is 2d6+8. You add whatever buffs you've got (only doubling numbers, not dice as normal).

Everyone needs to make fort saves again.

douglas
2008-01-08, 11:14 PM
Ranvor

"So much trouble and discussion over such a minor problem." Ranvor sighs. "The rest of you can try tunneling or teleporting or whatever. I'm going through."

With that, Ranvor, dives through the blade barrier, doing his best to dodge the blades.

Fort save: [roll0]
Reflex: [roll1] evasion from ring

Toliudar
2008-01-09, 09:06 AM
Fiona

The priestess sighed internally. She knew Ranvor, and knew that he was at hist best at moments of crisis. Patience...not always his strong suit.

No effect from the work of the water elementals?

Fiona Fort save: [roll0]
Ex Machina fort save: [roll1]

Kat Steel
2008-01-09, 10:12 AM
Martina

"Wait for me" the she elf shouts after Ranvor as he dives through the whirling barrier, She's teh one who should be scoutting ahead of the party, and she's not going to let other get hurt cause she didn't do her job.

She dives through as well, also trying to avoid the blades, once on the other side she looks around trying to spot anything that might prove to be dangerous.



[roll0]
[roll1]

Kat Steel
2008-01-09, 10:14 AM
sorry for the doble post but one of the rolls didn't go through



[roll0]



what a miserable roll :(

GryffonDurime
2008-01-09, 09:12 PM
Fortitude Save:
[roll0]

Rolls for my Eidolons...I assume that I've got two of them, and that they're at the base for my Fortitude.
[roll1]
[roll2]

TheMeanDM
2008-01-09, 10:02 PM
Seeing that his blows aren't doing much, Gregor stops pounding at the walls.

Hmm...not the results I expected. he mentally muses.

He moves out of the hole and resumes the form of the bird-like being.



OOC: are we physically aware of whatever is requiring us to make these fort saves?

[roll0]

Sxoa
2008-01-10, 02:49 AM
Memphis receives a renewed surge of warning in his mind above and beyond the constant alarm going off in his head warning of a constant threat to his companions as Ranvor plunges headlong through the blades, followed gracefully by an adroit Martina. While Martina carries her passenger safely through the razor maelstrom, Ranvor gets clipped, and then soundly battered before emerging on the other side.

You all hear a gasp and squeak in your mind as as one of Teliron's eidolons gets snuffed out by the crushing pressure of the water.
Martina takes no damage, you passed your save and have evasion.
Ranvor takes 122 damage (which does not get halved as it's not an attack), since you failed your save, and it overcame SR. Save for massive damage. Ranvor's eidolon, might take that damage as well (killing it), pending a clarification of the SR derived from transcend mortality.

The eidolon that failed its fort save (natural 1) takes 762 points of damage from crushing pressure and is obliterated, causing Teliron to take 10 points of unmodified damage.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-10, 03:13 AM
Wait, what? People swam through the blades? Did I miss something here? Apparently I did...show what I get for missing a day or two.

Likewise, my Eidolons should bubble them. Violet and Indigo. I can't actually conceive how a spell effect would damage them through a Violet and Indigo warding. It's reflexive, they can do it in time. And the Spell Resistance is...*checks*....39 for Transcend Mortality, just for the record. And if nothing else, each Eidolon also gets a +10 to Saves. Not much, but important to note.

douglas
2008-01-10, 08:08 AM
The save DC is higher than 29? That wasn't a natural 1.
Massive damage: [roll0]

Eidolon's pressure save: [roll1] (not sure that's right, but the only difference would be that it's even higher).

Seribro
2008-01-10, 02:11 PM
Noting that more and more people begin to drop through the blades, Memphis distress signals seem to go highwire.
Stop it you fools! The Eidolons can't take the pressure! Intelect, persistent polymorph on me please. We got some serious digging to do. Weasel, put your back into it.
Memphis takes on the shape of a rustmonster aswell and joins weasel in the tunnelling.

ehm... seriously guys, if only the force of the water is enough to make it lethal, then I'm gonna try my luck with the tunnelling. I'll see you guys at the finish line :smallwink:

1 use of polymorph((I definately need to prepare more of those tomorrow.)) and 1 uses of metamagic effect ((I'm saving the cooperative castings for more dire occasions))

for statistic matters, we dig 40 feet into the wall, then go straight down, absorbing cube for cube until we reach the point where the blade barrier would be on the corresponding height in the tube. Do I detect the magic barrier when we dissolve the cube that would be at the intersecting spot?

Sxoa
2008-01-10, 03:19 PM
As Memphis takes his new form, Weasel begins tunneling further outwards. A single brush of his feathery antenna begins corroding another block of metal outward. For a brief moment you hear creaking metal as the wall bulges outward and then the rust corrosion front completely eats through. The extremely high pressure water blasts outward through the new hole Memphis's familiar has just eaten through the wall.

Everyone make swim check!

douglas
2008-01-10, 03:47 PM
Swim check: [roll0] Edit: Drop that by 5, I forgot swim checks get double armor check penalty.
Does flight + Freedom of Movement help any?

Kat Steel
2008-01-10, 04:32 PM
Martina



[roll0]

If the water if pulling her towards the barrier, Martina will attempt to dive through them once again, so she can try to control her own trajectory.

[roll1] - Evasion (class feature)

If the water if not pulling her then she'll try to stay about 15 ft from Ranvor.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-10, 05:33 PM
As he feels the water pressure begin to increase and swirl, Gregor quickly changes forms and begins swimming in a safe manner. (not that anyone can see)



I rolled a 6, for a total of 30..but as noted elsewhere: freedom of movement should protect us from the rushing water. Sorry to have edited this, but my roll was a 6.

[roll0]

Kua-Toa Leviathan
This bloated, fishlike humanoid has a scaly body of silver-gray. Its arms and legs are thin and small for its size, but its gaping maw looks big enough to swallow a horse.

Gregor the Kua-Toa Leviathan

Relevant Skill for this encounter: Swim = +24 (+16 str, +8 racial)

Seribro
2008-01-11, 04:24 AM
Still say fredom of movement should work, thats probably just interpretation. Which the DM always wins :P
memphis[roll0]
weasel[roll1]
Is it possible to change shape before making the swim check? If it is, I'ld opt for squid for a +10 on swim checks and a body that can withstand high pressure

Sxoa
2008-01-11, 10:04 AM
Weasel and Memphis are jettisoned first through the hole. Their enchantments let them pull themselves from the stream of water before impacting the hard ground below. They are soon followed by the rest of the group.

You find yourselves hovering thirty feet above a vast desert, the only thing interrupting the endless sea of sand is the large pillar of iron rising up out of the ground that you have just exited. A waterfall explodes out of the side of the monolith, drenching the ground below you. The scalding hot water is rapidly releasing a cloud steam into the light breeze. The air feels thin, not lethally so, but you labor to get enough oxygen with each breath.

Looking at the sky you find another surprise. At least a third of the sky is filled with this world's moon. It is an enormous multicolored and striped thing, and you cannot see all of it below the desert horizon. The sun also is much larger, and you can feel it's intense heat, combined with the thin air beginning to dry you off.

For clarity a list of (Adjusted) swim checks. I've made some of them to speed things along. Since you're being sent into a significantly less hostile environment, I presumed you wouldn't mind. If you want you can make the check though...
Gregor (in bird thing form): 6+8(Str)=14
Martina: 22
Ranvor: 14
Weasel: 10
Memphis: 20
Teliron (I rolled): 10+12(Str)=22
Ex Machina (I rolled): 11+9(Str) = 20
Artan (I rolled):8+21(Swim) = 29
St. Fiona the Unground (I rolled): 4+4(Str) = 8

Ranvor needs to make another reflex save as he's sucked back through the blades. Martina makes her save again and takes no damage.

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 10:32 AM
Fiona

As Fiona is pushed and Ex Machina squeezes out of the large hole in the pillar, they both take to the air and fly away, trying to get a better perspective on the metal tube they have just emerged from.

Ex Machina flies up, to try to determine the upper end of the shaft, and what might be there. Fiona, hearing Ranvor's pain, waits above the spout to administer aid when he gets out.

Ex Machina possibly applicable skill checks as the solar scans upwards:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

Fiona is readying an action to cast Cure Critical Wounds on Ranvor once she can see him again. Not even trying to fly against the motion of the current.

[roll3] points cured. If he can't wait for vigor to take care of the rest, we can do more.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-11, 10:34 AM
Breathtaking. Is what Gregor thinks to the group. I've travelled to a lot of places and planes, but this is one of the more...amazing...that I've seen.

(how I imagine it to look, correct me if I'm wrong)
http://www.christianthrower.com/wp-content/gallery/extrasolar-art/desert-moon.jpg

The cylinder is behind us..much easier that way :)

douglas
2008-01-11, 11:03 AM
Reflex: [roll0]
Unless we can't even rest for 5 minutes or so without being attacked, I can probably wait for vigor to take care of all of it.

Sxoa
2008-01-11, 04:33 PM
Ex Machina flies up thirty feet above your egress point and looks at the top of the cylinder. It is not particularly noteworthy in and of itself. It seems to be 60 feet across and made out of solid unpolished metal. The metal is extremely hot to the touch, as would be expected of a slab of iron sitting in the open under the baking rays of the sun.

The amount of cylinder visible above the sand is 70 feet. Your exit point is carved in the middle of that (30 feet above and below a ten foot wide hole). A quick calculation indicates that the blade barrier should be between five and ten feet above the sand's surface if it extended out of the cylinder, though you don't see anything in that space. Presuming its not an extradimensional space, you know the cylinder goes at least another 50 feet into the sand.

As far as you can tell there is only the sand and the breeze here to keep you company.

TheMeanDM's picture is essentially accurate. It's a cylinder, not a prism and the world thing in the background is significantly bigger, but the idea is there.

Make spot checks

Kat Steel
2008-01-11, 05:40 PM
Martina

The she elf swims out of the tunel and hovers for a while getting her bearings.



[roll0]



She then descends to meet the others, she unhappily empies her quiver of all the water and pulls a rag from her HHH, she drys each arrow tip carefully and looks at the feathers, an unhappy look on her face. She tries to put them right once again.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-11, 06:00 PM
Gregor, in bird form, circles around the tower, his keen eyes looking down on the landscape.

[spoiler]

Spot:

Seribro
2008-01-11, 07:59 PM
The two rustmonsters shake their body to help the drying a bit. Intellect, green as an apple, tries to raise his head from the land-lobster but then quickly bend over and begins emptying his stomach on the sands below.
Well... That was unsuspected sounds the voice of Memphis in your heads Everybody allright? Come Weasel, lets see if we can make a new way in.
The two rustmonsters wiggle and wobble back to the massive cylinder and begin 'eating' at its base.

Seribro
2008-01-11, 08:03 PM
sorry, forgot the spot checks
Memphis: [roll0]
Weasel: [roll1]
Intelect: [roll2]

Sxoa
2008-01-11, 08:46 PM
The water that is flowing out of the side of the tower is pitch black. It appears to be saturated with ink.
What side of the tower are you guys burrowing into? At what height? Presume on my map that the top of the screen is north, and that that is the side you tunneled out of.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-11, 11:53 PM
"At least we'll not have to deal with the water for a moment," Teliron says, availing himself of the opportunity to speak while it is possible. He stretches out his angelic wings and moves to survey the rust monsters, intrigued--somehow, he'd never seen one before.

"And no more ink!"

Seribro
2008-01-12, 05:42 AM
Then we tunnel south at the base by the ground.

Sxoa
2008-01-12, 12:08 PM
The two rust monsters quickly corrode another tunnel through the side of the pillar. Once again there is a brief sound of creaking metal as the corrosion dissolves away the metal, and then the water explodes out at you . Weasel feels something small bounce off his shell but can't see it on the outside. Blindsight similarly detects unexpected. Your blindsight does detect the blade barrier inside the tower though. It is where you expected it to be. Half of your tunnel's interior opening is blocked by the whirling blades.

Intellect looks on from above with Teliron watching from even higher as the two rust monsters are ejected from their hole. The two rust monsters pull themselves out inky sand and steaming mists and float up a bit, black sludge dripping off their carapaces.

On the north side of the tower, Martina (followed quickly by Gregor), spots a few sand dunes in the far distance racing towards the tower much faster than any dune should be moving ever let alone in this breeze, though it does seem to be picking up a little bit.

everyone on the south side of the tower make spot checks. The entire group should make survival checks

Kat Steel
2008-01-12, 12:42 PM
Martina

The she elf looks around as she hears the water rushing out else where



[roll0]

ooc - what a rubish roll :(

Toliudar
2008-01-12, 12:44 PM
Ex Machina

Confirming that the pillar seems to terminate at the top, roughly where the tentacle creature would have been floating, Ex Machina turns its attention back downwards, towards the water spewing from the tube. The solar flies around the tube, turning its attention turns back down and trying to see if the second evil emanation from the tube has emerged in the crush of water.

Sxoa
2008-01-12, 01:15 PM
While the mist obscures sight, it does not obscure the spell. A evil aura is down there somewhere.
Remember to make spot and survival checks! Everyone should make a survival check.
If you are on, or go to the south side of the tower you need to make a spot check. I also made a slight miscalculation, the tower should extend another 15 feet up since the cylinder wall is that think on top as well. It doesn't make a big difference for you folks but for the sake of accuracy and all that...

Toliudar
2008-01-12, 01:25 PM
Fiona Spot check: [roll0]
Fiona survival check: [roll1]

Ex Machina Spot check: [roll2]
Ex Machina survival check: [roll3]

Sxoa
2008-01-12, 01:50 PM
A fell wind blows. I recognize it from a campaign against the Yugoloths on Minethys. A flaywind sandstorm approaches. We have perhaps a minute or two before it is upon us my friends. Ex Machina's words ring out in your minds. St. Fiona similarly recognizes the signs of the approaching flesh rending storm. Sure enough, the breeze is already starting to pick up.

Kat Steel
2008-01-12, 02:37 PM
Martina



[roll0]



"Maybe we should seek shelter is there is any to be found around here? We may have to go back in there."

Paladin Latham
2008-01-12, 04:03 PM
Mr. Stabby

Mr. Stabby emerges from the mist of the ink water with a kettle and tea cup in his hands. After pooring himself a cup and sipping from it he says
"Well, I imagine you chaps aren't the ones I entered this place with. How do you do?

*continues sipping tea*

"Storm...?

*squints*

TheMeanDM
2008-01-12, 07:11 PM
We can burrow down into the sand and wait the storm out, or we can re-enter the tower. If we reenter the tower, we have no idea where we will end up.



already did spot

survival
[roll0]

knowledge, nature re: flaywind storms:
[roll1]



Gregor lands upon the ground, and beckons Artan to come down with him. He shapeshifts into a strange creature that looks heavily armored.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG30.jpg

Paladin Latham
2008-01-12, 08:23 PM
Mr. Stabby

"Well now, you might think I'm tasty, but I assure you that the twenty or so years I spent swimming in the Styx left me very unpalatable.

He puts away his kettle and tea cup once again.

Sxoa
2008-01-12, 08:52 PM
Gregor remembers sitting at the desert campfire with the old bhuka druid back on his home world. The wiseman picks up a hand full of sand and lets it dribble out into the wind as he begins speaking.
The wind can carry the sands as you know. Truly that is how all these dunes form. Most of the time the waste is content to do this slowly, carrying each grain on a light breeze. But sometimes it becomes inpatient or angry, and then the winds blow hard and fast. They drive the sand before them and it stings the eyes and chokes the mouth and nose. It can even tear away the skin if it is blowing fast enough. Rarely, there comes a even more potent danger though. The Ghak'ti, the flaywind in your tongue. It is not a natural wind that drives the sand in the flaywind but angry spirits of the desert. They drive the sand with such speed that it will strip the flesh from the bone in minutes. There is no way to guard against the wind save complete shelter. A building or the like, but take care that you are not trapped therein by the enveloping sand, lest your shelter become your tomb! A storm normally lasts several hours but I have heard tales of storms lasting for days at a time.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-13, 01:09 AM
Resuming ape form, Gregor yells (and thinks) "We need to get back inside! We need shelter, NOW!!" as loudly as he can.

"Memphis!" he cries out, running after the rust monster. "I need you, now!"

"I remember you said you're a transmuter by trade. Can you transform the sand in this area into rock?"

He spreads out his hands to indicate about a 50 foot area in front of the "door" that they created.

Kat Steel
2008-01-13, 09:08 AM
Martina

** oh bugger, back in the water ** she thinks to her self

The elven woman begins picking up her arrows again in puts them in her quiver, and put the rest of her equipment away, making sure once again everything is in its rightfull place and within easy reach.

She walks over to the other side of the Grinder where it seems most of the party has converged, she looks around at the strange array of creatures, she recognizes soem by their voices but the "rat" seems to puzzle her.

"I don't remember seeing you earlier? Did you walk into this place with us? I'm Martina, you are?"

Before Mr Stabby stands a petty she elf, HHH on her back, quiver strapped to her leg and a Comp longbow in hand. She has green eyes and coppery colored hair, she isn't particullar attractive, specially when you see the scar running down the right hand side of her face.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-13, 12:38 PM
Teliron

Teliron lands swiftly as he hears his companion's cries, and gestures to the two Eidolons on his back.

"Prepare yourselves. You know how to best enhance our spellcraft." They nod, and he looks up to his friends again. "My eidolons can double any spell you cast. More protection is always advisable, yes?"

Telrion's Eidolons are set to Twin so we can have more control over the size/stability of the structure. If Persist works on Wall of Force through Metamagic effect, he can also contribute some additional walls to the project.

Seribro
2008-01-13, 06:43 PM
The sand to stone spell. I heard of it but never mastered it. Give me a moment to tap into the pool.
The rustmonster begins to return to his natural Memphis form and concentrates real hard on his ring to establish a conduct to the spellpool of the order.
free action shift shape, full round action call spell level 5
From "Sandstorm"

TRANSMUTE SAND TO STONE
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Druid 5, sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to two 10-ft. cubes/level (S)
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell transforms a mass of sand of any depth into solid stone permanently.

Any creature in the sand is allowed a Reflex save to escape before the area is hardened to stone.
If the creature fails its save, it is entangled and canít move. It is not considered helpless, however, and
it can break out by damaging the stone. Stone has hardness 8 and 15 hit points per inch of thickness. The creature can also make a Strength check to break free. The break DC is 20, +2 per inch of thickness of the stone.
Once the spell fills up the empty void in his mind, Mempish begins his chanting, warning everybody at forehand to move back and Intellect to widen the spell for maximum potential. When the spell begins to take shape on the eastside of the tower, its area becomes quite large. The top layer transmuted is a square of 100 feet by 100 feet, 20 ft deep. At the centre a column of 20x20 ft stretches 320 feet straight down. ((40 cubes of 20 ft each))
Weasel, purple worm shape, tunnel those rocks.
The second rustmonster comes hurrying up while exchanging his small limbs for large plates of bone. When at the centre of the stone field, he begins to dig down into the column.
Memphis second round: Cast spell, move onto it.
Weasel: move to centre of the stonefield, free action shape change purple worm, standard action dig into stone

Paladin Latham
2008-01-13, 07:05 PM
Mr. Stabby

"A pleasure to meet you all, I look forward to introductions and news of my lost companions, however. It is time to hide."

Mr. Stabby activates his ring of invisibility and swiftly moves into the tunnel made by the worm.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-13, 10:11 PM
"Thank you Memphis!" Gregor says, floating down to the stone slab.

"Everyone, converge on me!" he yells physically (and mentally).

"I need a Twinned, Empowered Spell!!" he speaks to the closest Eidolons.

He begins chanting, and upon ending the spell, a massive stone slab appears, which then bends downward, anchoring itself to the newly created stone slab. Then, it wraps upward and around the group and extends at an angle up toward the metal pillar. A second slab appears, and connects to the first, continuing toward the metal tower.

The slab gets to within about one foot of the cylinder and then stops, allowing everyone to still see out into the surrounding landscape, but still offering more than ample protection from the flaywind.

You'd estimate it to be about 25 feet tall at it's highest point, and fifteen feet tall at it's lowest.


Casting Wall of Stone.

I can create a wall that is normally 4.5" thick, with 18 five-foot squares.

Reduce the thickness by 1/2 to 2.25" for 36 five-foot squares.
Twin the spell, and I can create another 36 squares for a total of 72 squares. Both empowered for +50% would be a total of 108 squares.

If I were to build a "full" box, without the sloped roof, and make it 25h x 15w x 60l that would require a total of...um... 60 squares per side and 15 squares for the "front" wall..so a total of 135.

Now, by sloping the roof, that would cut some squares off (and make the sand slide off--which would reduce the weight on the roof).

So having this spell Twinned & Empowered would enable me to generate enough squares, right?

Here is a side view of the structure and how it will be shaped vertically. There is also a picture of how close it gets to the tower, and how it's shaped (which you can do as you cast the spell):


http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/buildingplan.jpg

TheMeanDM
2008-01-14, 07:18 AM
strange, it shows my msg, but not on the main page as being the latest....

TheMeanDM
2008-01-14, 03:40 PM
"Fiona, can you aid me with a final wall?" Gregor requests of the Saint.

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 04:12 PM
Fiona

Drifting into the construction site, Fiona sends a soft mental response.

Of course. Joy, if you could be ready to twin this for me.

Fiona adds her own construction, following Gregor's mental image of what he is trying to construct, Fiona waits for the others to gather inside the brand new structure, and casts Wall of Stone.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-14, 04:29 PM
Teliron

Teliron shifts again, assuming the form of an intangible sphere of light, and enters the structure happily...at least, as happily as an intangible sphere of light can appear to be.

Ghaele form! Not that I don't trust you all, but I figure I'll hedge my bets with intangability.

douglas
2008-01-15, 01:37 PM
Ranvor

Ranvor settles into the structure being assembled and watches. His specialty is fighting more concrete opponents than the environment, and he has very little to contribute against a sandstorm.

Amusing rules-lawyery reasoning: A flaywind does a mere 1d4 (1d3 if you're wearing heavy clothing or any armor) damage per round. We have fast healing 3. It would be very painful and get rid of our temp hp, but we can actually out-heal the storm's damage without doing anything, so we're not in any actual danger if this storm follows the book rules. :smallbiggrin: Not that I object to seeking shelter, especially not IC, I'm just amused by how that works out.

Kat Steel
2008-01-15, 02:57 PM
Martina

Joins the group in the shelter

Paladin Latham
2008-01-15, 08:15 PM
Mr. Stabby

Mr. Stabby is in the shelter as though he was there the whole time.

Toliudar
2008-01-15, 11:32 PM
Fiona

As the group settles in and the structure completed, Fiona turns to the little rat who has inobtrusively joined them. Her voice is firm, but not unkind.

Well, perhaps it is time for introductions. I am Fiona, and this is Joy -

She gestures briefly to the tiny man on her shoulder.

May I ask who you are, and what you are doing here?

Paladin Latham
2008-01-16, 01:43 AM
Mr. Stabby

"Of course my dear" He takes off his top hat in a courteous bow before putting it back on "My name is Mr. Stabby, I am pleased to make your aquaintance, and to answer your question I was doing quite the same thing as you. Surviving. A trick it seems I accomplished far better than my previous companions, judging by the scent of fairy and minotaur blood on my clothes." His empty sockets open wide as he quickly continues "Not that I had anything to do their sad fate. In fact I have no idea what happened to them after I started to search for an exit from that teapot we jumped into... I will miss them though... they made these old bones laugh" a single tear of green necromantic fluid seeps from his empty eye sockets.

He then produces a kettle and teacup perfectly sized for a rat and pours himself some tea, making a silent toast to their memory.

Toliudar
2008-01-16, 09:02 AM
Fiona

Trying very hard not to think about what the world would be like if this strange creature were to receive the powers of a god, Fiona decides to return courtesy with courtesy, and bows as best she can in the constrained conditions they find themselves in. She speaks a bit more loudly to go over the wind rising outside.

Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, er, Mister Stabby. I'm sure that our acquaintance will be - educational.

Toliudar
2008-01-22, 02:20 AM
Are we missing Sxoa? What's up?

Kat Steel
2008-01-22, 03:40 AM
Martina

The young elf, sits down and looks at the fletching of her arrows making sure they haven't been ruined.

She sits quietly her eyes watching the group, in particular the newest member, her mimble finger smooth the fletchings.

Seribro
2008-01-22, 06:04 AM
when Weasel is getting up to steam, the shasm deepens and more rocks, sand, mud and dirt get excreted into the shelter. Memphis takes on the shape of a girallon and begins throwing and shuffling the purple worms 'faeces' out of the shelter.
Welcome on board Stabby. Anyone who can survive long enough to find us, is good enough be part of the team. Condolences with your former partners though. May their souls rest in pieces. I mean peace! May their soul rest in peace! I'm sorry, it's the expedition thing. It tends to make me a bit cold and sarcastic. It's how I learned to deal with the high mortality rate of this kind of undertakings. Hell, if it weren't for these guys here, I too would have kicked the proverbial bucket. That reminds me of the time...
With a heavy boulder under each of his four arms the girralon walks outside to drop the stuff of. Weasel had to drasticly slow down his digging or else to much debris would pile up behind him. And since he is tunnelling straight down... The girralon wobbles back inside and begins collecting another four armloads
... that I was just a rookie among the archaeologists. I wasn't exactly new to the whole cavity thing or spellcasting. After all, I am a deep Imaskarian who travelled the underdark from the middle layers all the way up to the surface. But I was new to the whole lost-tombs-expedition kind of thing. If there is one thing I do know now...
The ape dissapears back outside again. When he comes back, sand is everywhere in his fur and he leaves a light trail of it as he walks back to the excavation site.
... then it is that when a tomb goes lost, there probably is a good reason for it. Shall I tell the entire story, or would that just annoy you youngsters? If it does, don't be afraid of my feelings. Hell, I remember all to well what I was like, impatient and allways more interested in action then words.
Memphis began rolling out a chunk that was just to large to carry while lifting two smaller pieces on his shoulders

Paladin Latham
2008-01-22, 11:31 AM
Mr. Stabby

"Actually I would quite like to hear your story sir, if you don't mind. Travel the planes long enough and you find that stories and experiences are worth more than any physical wealth."

He continues to sip tea as he pays rapt attention.

Any of you that have played Planescape: Torment would probably agree with Mr. Stabby. I went around talking to EVERYONE in that game, it was so well written. On a sidenote I'm trying to recall the buffs that my last group left on Mr. Stabby. If you notice a hole in his defensive web (for those with Arcane Sight and such) feel free to put any spell on him.

Edit: Apparently I have Shield of Faith +5 (I think I only have a few hours left), Magic Vestment +5 (same), Ebon Eyes (same), Heroes Feast, and an extended Stone Bones spell. I also have conviction up but undead don't benefit from morale bonuses so its a moot spell (cast on the whole group 3)

Edit2: Prestidigitation to remove the ink, blood, and sand would be appreciated too. :smallbiggrin:

Sxoa
2008-01-22, 01:18 PM
The wind begins to howl louder and louder outside until it is a mighty roar. The small amounts of natural light coming into your shelter seem to fade away rapidly as you imagine everything outside is consumed by an all encompassing brown out. Sand blasts against the outside of your shelter with enough force that you can hear an odd sound akin to rain on the inside. The sand also blasts against the side of the tower of iron, and while most of it gets picked up again by the wind before dropping down, the sand near your shelter's gap drops down inside. A small drift of sand is beginning to form. Additionally a large volume of dust does not appear to be settling readily, and the thin gritty cloud rapidly blows over you and down into the tube. Those of you who breathe begin to cough as it encroaches into your airways. Despite all this, some of the more naturally aware among you notice a slight elevation in temperature.
I was gone, but now I'm back!

Everyone make survival checks. Since at least one of you is bound to make it, you detect an incoming furnace wind (pg 22 Sandstorm), supernatural winds that do fire damage. You figure you've got about a minute before it hits.

Since its once again important (for a number of reasons) we're once again on a round by round count. You guys can act in any order you want but there is a limited amount you can accomplish in one round.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-22, 01:41 PM
"Hold your story for a bit, Memphis." Gregor says, c-ocking his ear upward.

He places a hand upon the stone wall momentarily.

"There is a Furnace Wind coming." he says calmly. "We are protected, but I don't know if our new friend is." he looks at the undead rat.

"Are you protected from fire?"
rolling for survival check



I hate this roller, I really do. But at least I made the check...

We're Immune to Fire, as we have Energy Immunity: Fire going on us right now.


He tears a strip of cloth from his cloak, and ties it around Artan's nose.


check for applying cloth to prevent choking of Artan
DC 15 (I think)
[roll]1d20+15
ok..not sure why that didn't work..but here's an IC roll:
1d20+15=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1469523/)


"If any of you have trouble breathing, I will aid you in making a mask."

Kat Steel
2008-01-22, 02:47 PM
Martina



[roll0]



The she elf pulls a bit of cloth from her HHH and ties it around her nose and mouth trying to keep the dust and sand from her airways. Being innune to the Fire damage the winds usually brings with them, she puts everything away in her HHH, making sure only her quiver and bow are out, just in case of trouble.

"I would suggest we all try to cover nose and mouth with cloth to avoid eating a lot of sand".

Toliudar
2008-01-22, 02:56 PM
Ex Machina

The solar's voice is surprisingly soft, if a bit tense.

Ah, Gregor? I'm not sure that Mr. Stabby needs to worry about, ah, choking. Thoughtful though it is of you to think of it.

Both Ex Machina and Fiona do what they can to cover their own mouths and noses.

Paladin Latham
2008-01-22, 04:40 PM
Mr. Stabby

"Unfortunately I have no resistance against any element. If one of you have a bag of holding or a handy haversack I can ride out this storm in there. No portable holes though, if you please, I've had quite enough of those types of mishaps to last two lifetimes."

As he finishes his statement he puts his kettle and teacup away.

Seribro
2008-01-22, 08:19 PM
Memphis jumps down the hole and glides down over the purple worms back.
Weasel, remember the blob from the fungus caves in the Wyrm Backs? Get above me and plug the hole will you.
Weasel crawls back up and his shape begins to chance once more. Within a few seconds the long purple body becomes an unidentifiable blue-green goo known as the gelatine cube. This body neatly fills in with the rough edges and covers it perfectly. It leaves for a small opening down at one side however, just in case anyone else wishes to climb down.

Sxoa
2008-01-23, 09:18 AM
To the dismay of all who are tying cloth over their noses and mouthes, the grit seems to be fine enough that it can path though fabric without hindrance. The cloying dust continues to encroach on your airways.

Knowledge Nature checks

TheMeanDM
2008-01-23, 09:31 AM
(you aren't making this easy, are you? :) :smallwink:


[roll0]

Kat Steel
2008-01-23, 10:11 AM
nope not easy at all

[roll0]

what the .....

Seribro
2008-01-23, 10:53 AM
are Memphis and Intelect safe in the hole, plugged by gelatinie-weasel? knowledge nature:
[roll0]

Paladin Latham
2008-01-23, 11:06 AM
Mr. Stabby

"For those of you who can, I suggest taking the form of something that doesn't breath, undead and such. For those who can't I'd recommend conjuring up Desmodu Breath Masks. If you can't do either I hope someone can resurrect others among you or you may meet a terrible fate."

That said he scrambles up Martina and slips into her Handy Haversack.

Sorry for the scramble but I don't want Mr. Stabby to burn and she's the only one who's character sheet I could read.

Climb [roll0]

Ultimately, Mr. Stabby is a coward, and the only way he sees to make it through this is to hide out. If Martina dies I assume her equipment will burn to kindling making the worst case scenario that Mr. Stabby will be ejected onto the Astral Plane, never to return (unless he has someone who will eventually scry for him, which I'd like to think he does). Either way he will 'survive'.

Sxoa
2008-01-23, 11:48 AM
Gregor remembers more of his conversation with the old bhuka druid.
More dangers eh? Well this one you will not find in my waste, but in the ancient libraries of the dead city of Ahnk'Motept I read of a terrible substance their sages named moondust. It is like sand and dust of our world but so fine that it flows like water through even the most tightly woven cloth. Only magics and solid barriers could stop it from choking the life out of a living being.
of course I'm not making it easy! It's the grinder after all. It wouldn't be all that satisfying an accomplishment if all you had to do was kill a goblin with a rusty knife.

As long as Weasel is blocking the entire hole no moondust permeates him, but if he's leaving a gap, some will get down.

Seribro
2008-01-23, 01:29 PM
((Okay, either jump down the rabithole or counter up another stoneshape/wall of stone to seal the bunker, cause I am not going to keep the jelly open for longer then two rounds.))

Kat Steel
2008-01-23, 03:26 PM
Martina

As Mr Stabby clambers up the young she elf, she shreeks at being touched by the undead creature, usually something she kills not sociallizes with. She hears Gregor speaking about the Moondust but is almost too busy trying to catch Mr Stabby as he disappears into her HHH.

As Gregor's words sink in Martins grabs her kit and dash to where Menhis is, if Weasel in cube form can cover the whole properly then they might all survice.

Toliudar
2008-01-24, 10:01 PM
Ex Machina

Ex Machina turns to Sympathy and mentally inquires: I'll be casting a spell in a moment. I hope you won't mind lengthening it - in case we need to return to this surface hide-away abruptly? The solar takes the measure of their strange shelter, and gestures around the exposed rim of it as the angel intones a brief spell.

Casting a [Eidolon-extended] version of Wind Wall.

Edited because of Toliudar's ongoing lessons in metamagic.

douglas
2008-01-24, 10:57 PM
Wind Wall isn't fixed range, so it can't be persisted.

Sxoa
2008-01-25, 03:34 PM
The wall of swirling air seems to be blocking most of the dust but small amounts still appear to be getting through.

Toliudar
2008-01-25, 04:35 PM
Fiona

Once again able to breath, if a little raspily, Fiona sends her thoughts to the others.

Well, charming though this little cubby-hole is - shall we get digging?

Paladin Latham
2008-01-25, 06:24 PM
Mr. Stabby

Mr. Stabby peeks out from Martina's haversack.

"Righto! Let me know when you need my help."

Then he goes back to hiding.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-30, 12:01 PM
posting for MIA Memphis to move things along:

Memphis looks at Weasel and says "Back to the grind...err..Grinder, I suppose." and then winks, a smile on his face.

He transforms himself back into the crustacean-like Rust Monster, with Weasel following suit.

The flying rust monster floats five feet into the air and touches his antenna to the tower. The rusting touch dissolves away a ten-foot cube of the tower, creating a ten-foot tall opening that is level with the ground, extending ten-feet into the tower.

The shapechanged mage descends, then shambles six feet into the newly created opening, and touches his antenna to the floor. Another ten-foot cube of metal is dissolved instantaneously, leaving a one-foot thick wall on the "ground" side to prevent a cave-in, and a four-foot thick wall on the "tower" side.

"Follow my lead, Weasel." the mage says to his companion.

The two flying rust mosters begin the descent downward, dissolving the tower and leaving the remaining support walls.

The pair continue to "dig" until they either encounter an end to the tower, open space, or some other "challenge" that the group needs to know about.



Here is how it would look, drawn out. The dashed line is the 10' chunk that they take out to create the opening.

http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/digging.jpg

Sxoa
2008-01-30, 01:01 PM
The steel corrodes away before the two creatures readily, with only the occasional second touch being required. Descending perhaps another 60 feet downward the metal corrodes out into a patch of sand. The wall appears to be slanting down and towards the center line of the tower.


| |
| |______ Ground level
? |
? / <--- You are here abouts
????

Something like that if that makes any sense, I'll make a better picture if required. ? are places you haven't been so you don't know.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-30, 01:54 PM
"Well folks, looks like we've struck...sand." the mage jokes mentally.

"Gregor, can you come here a moment?" Memphis telepathically thinks.

The druid descends down the hole.

"What do you think?" Memphis asks.

"Well, if it's filled with water, and we open a hole here, this shaft will fill with water...then we're back where we started." the druid ponders a moment.

"I've an idea. Head back up the hole a bit."

Memphis and weasel flight up the hole about ten feet and hover in mid air.

Gregor shapechanges into the form of a medium-sized earth elemental.

He then sinks down into the sand, and begins to follow the the tube, attempting to move "upwards" at various points along the way to see if the tube is still above him.

He follows the tube as far as fifty feet will take him, and then returns to report his findings.

ooc: what'd I find?

Sxoa
2008-01-30, 02:15 PM
Gregor "swims" through the packed sand touching the metal following the slope until it ends and begins back up again.

Forming a mental image of the tower, Gregor pictures that it in shape the tower is a simple fusion of two geometric shapes; a cylinder sitting on top of a cone embedded in the surface of the desert.

How long does the windwall last?

TheMeanDM
2008-01-30, 02:20 PM
Can you draw a picture of that?

windwall lasts 40 rounds

Each round represents 6 seconds in the game world

so...4 minutes...

Seribro
2008-01-30, 02:29 PM
Ah, yes! I got it. What he means is, it looks like this:
. . ____ . .
. . || || . .
. . || || . .
.__|| ||__
: ::|| ||:::
: ::|| ||:::
::::\\ //::::
:::::\./::::
::::::::::::

and we just reached the tip

Which is odd cause it means there is no reservoire. Is it just a portal to the plane of water after all? If that be the case, we should probably try to seal it.

Or it could be a portal to the "next level"
Perhaps we should try and corrode/break the tip of and see if we can create a "back entrance".

TheMeanDM
2008-01-30, 02:39 PM
If this is indeed what we're finding, then my thought is to:

1) get as close to the tip as we can...or maybe even just where the "x" marks the spot
2) use Sand to Stone again to dig a shaft of stone down into the sand (the "o" on the drawing)
3) tunnel through the shaft
4) then, after the shaft is cleared out, "punch" a hole into the metal of the tower, allowing the water to drain out (which should be fairly quick, eh?)
5) enter

. . ____ . .
. . || || . .
. . || || . .
.__|| ||__
: ::|| ||:::
: ::|| ||:::
::::\\ //::::
:::::\./x:::
::::::::o:::
::::::::o:::
::::::::o:::
::::::::o:::

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 04:17 PM
"Let's keep following this, Memphis." Gregor says, pointing at the metal wall of the what he now thinks of as a 'spike'.

"Dig us the same king of shaft, if you and weasel would, please. We can follow it to the end, or thereabouts, and punch through...possibly surprising whatever might be in there."


ooc: by same kind of shaft, I mean one that keeps metal in between us and the sand.

Seribro
2008-02-02, 05:41 AM
You... want to go down diagonally? Well... It's possible... I think... But we need to be careful and you will need give us some guiding to see if we have the angle more or less right.

With the utmost care, the two rustmonsters begin tunnelling a diagonal path through the cones shell, just a little steeper on the vertical axe to be on the safe side. A few times a small patch of sand is shown when they go a bit to steep, but with minor corrections they manage to keep pretty much on track, although the tunnel is far from as smooth as the vertical used to be.

Are we almost there yet? It would be a shame if we ended up next to the tip rather then in it.

Intelligence check to see if his calculations are correct [roll0]

Sxoa
2008-02-02, 11:58 AM
Memphis and Weasel manage to tunnel out a cozy little pocket in the tip of the cone.

Toliudar
2008-02-04, 09:35 AM
Fiona

Mentally calling forward to Memphis, Fiona says: So, no break yet? Might as well turn upwards and tunnel up.

Seribro
2008-02-04, 02:40 PM
A little worried about what this might cause, Memphis tries dissolving the bottom first and checking for any particular magical aura's other then those they create them selves and the hue that the metal tube itself seems to radiate. If that comes up with nothing, they dissolve the metal overhead and thereby open the tunnel towards the inside of the spike.

GryffonDurime
2008-02-04, 06:38 PM
Telrion emerged from a bout of silence and assumes the shape of a sphere of radiant light, swiftly searching through the sand for Memphis.

Never send a rust monster or an elemental to do a ghaele's job, he offers with an uncharacteristic level of gentle humor.

With that, the orb of light follows with Memphis, examining the auras of the Grinder.

I think that's right.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Sxoa
2008-02-05, 01:01 PM
The metal appears to have been magically reinforced to be dramatically harder than natural iron. Beyond that though it does not seem to bear any other enchantments.

douglas
2008-02-05, 02:05 PM
The suggestion was to go inside the water-filled metal tube and examine the sources of the jets of water, not the metal of the outside wall.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 02:54 PM
The suggestion was to go inside the water-filled metal tube and examine the sources of the jets of water, not the metal of the outside wall.

you beat me to it

GryffonDurime
2008-02-05, 07:46 PM
Satisfied that the outside posed no particular danger, Teliron continues inward, passing through the metal as if it were air. As he enters the Grinder from below, he keeps a constant vigil for magical effects.

Spellcraft [roll0]

Sxoa
2008-02-06, 12:21 AM
Rising incorporeally through the spellforged iron, Teliron senses the the water rushing overhead and through him down towards a spot right in front of his nose (so to speak). It takes him a moment to comprehend what the utter blackness before his eyes is, and reflexively he jerks back before moving forward again for a closer look. The black sphere in front of him his is the final destination of the water coming out of the jets that Mr. Stabby told him about.
A full gun would be unfair, but congratulations on not blundering into that:smalltongue: . The Sphere of Annihilation rests dead center in the bottom of the cone. Since the D&D universe is divided into five foot cubes and the cone doesn't line up as such, we'll say that it's in the square marked for Gregor (Gr).

TheMeanDM
2008-02-15, 05:30 PM
Siezing mental control over the sphere, Teliron urges the powerful orb upwards at a diagonal angle, following the wall that he occupies and parallelling the shaft that his companions dug through the thick wall of the cylinder.

He also takes note of the structure inside the cylinder, making mental notes to his telepathically linked companions.

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 01:53 AM
Teliron moves the sphere upward, and it draws the water inside it as it goes. Doing the math quickly in his head, he notes a small indentation (perhaps 6 inches) in the wall on the east side of the cylinder, perhaps 70 feet below the blade barrier. The water seems perturbed at dozens of locales around the cylinder, though it seems none of the jets are in the cone itself.

Toliudar
2008-02-16, 04:04 AM
Fiona

At Teliron's mental report, Fiona glances at the others.

Well, we're not doing any good down here. Teliron, do you want to try swirling the sphere around a couple of those jets, see what happens?

TheMeanDM
2008-02-16, 08:06 AM
Certainly. I must warn you, though, that if those are gates to another plane, we may be in for some interesting results.

He mentally focuses and moves the sphere over to one of the jets that is surrounding the indentation.

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 05:24 PM
The sphere carves through the walls of cylinder without even slowing down. After withdrawing the sphere that jet seems to have subsided.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-16, 08:04 PM
Well, that worked out nicely. Let's see if we can stop the flow of this water, shall we?

Teliron proceeds to maneuver the sphere on to the remaining jets.

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 08:23 PM
It takes a minute or so but the remainder of the jets are destroyed. With no new water being brought in the water level drops fairly rapidly to the height of the sphere.

Toliudar
2008-02-16, 09:12 PM
Fiona

Upon hearing Teliron's report of his success, Fiona smiles.

Bravo, sir. What do you see in there?

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 11:09 PM
As Teliron begins to drain the inky sludge through the sphere, the whirling blade barrier become readily apparent. So to does the sand and dust blasting into the cylinder from your exits points.

Toliudar
2008-02-17, 09:15 AM
Fiona

In the interests of keeping things moving.

As Teliron again relays what he sees, Fiona prompts again.

And your magica vision, sir? Remember that we may be looking for a portal that is invisible, but might be accessible with arcane sight.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-17, 11:10 AM
Teliron looks around at the spot where the jets were, especially at the circular indentation in the middle of them. He also looks toward the blade barrier.

has arcane sight going, obviously

Sxoa
2008-02-17, 12:04 PM
As the water falls ever lower the searingly hot sand and dust envelopes Teliron's form. While the dust does not bother him, the heat is kept at bay only by his protections. Nothing is visible where the jets used to be besides small pits left in the iron by the sphere's passage. Apparently whatever was creating the jets was destroyed by the sphere. As the small indentation comes into view he sees that it is in fact a long hallway extending between 100 and 150 feet straight out from the side of the cylinder. That you dug straight past this spot without noticing this is explained by the aura of a portal stretching across the entrance.

The the iron goes in for maybe an inch at most, before the architecture changes to masonry. The hallway appears completely dry, and ends in a flat wall. You can't tell from here but it might turn left at the end. There are lights recessed into the ceiling (you can't see the sources) casting pulls of light every 10 feet or so and their combined effect leaves the passage well lit.

The furnace wind is a magical affect and thus can affect incorporeal creatures. Teliron is protected by his form's fire resistance and the spells.

I'm aware of the arcane sight, I was just giving you a chance to react to the wind.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-17, 08:51 PM
Teliron relays to everyone what he sees.

Now would be an excellent opportunity for someone of the more...nimble...persuasion to go exploring. Wouldn't you agree, Marta?

Toliudar
2008-02-17, 09:41 PM
Fiona

Fiona beams.

Well done, Teliron! Bravo indeed.

I'm happy to have the oh-so-perceptive Marta in front, but if that's a magical portal leading to that hallway, I'd rather not get us all too separated Perhaps a bit out in front of the rest of us? Besides, it seems likely to be not so hospitable in here once we rejoin the tube, what with the windstorm.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-18, 02:09 AM
Mr. Stabby

"Wait a moment, It might have traps. Or something equally unpleasant for the living. Let me see here..."

Mr. Stabby stretches out from Martina's bag and searches the portal, when she reaches that point.

Mr. Stabby takes 20 to search for traps both on the portal and the surrounding area, thus getting 38 for each 5ft. square.

Seribro
2008-02-18, 05:24 AM
Memphis and Weasel punch a hole in trhough the iron just aside of where Teliron discovered the portal. When he takes a glance at it himself, while holding his breath against the annoying fine dust wind, he sends a slightly allarming message to the rest of the party.
Why is the hallway dry? Shouldn't the water have entered the portal just as a living being would have? Either the portal requires some form of passage ritual or word or that hallway we see isn't the place where the portal is truly leading. Anybody got a portal analysing spell?

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 11:54 AM
Very good question. Very good indeed. Gregor thinks to the group.

I do not have a portal analyzation spell, but I do have a spell that will guide us safely along the path to our goal, should we phrase the spell correctly.

Ooc:
now we could use Find The Path effectively, I think. Just getting the phrasing down is the issue.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 02:11 PM
Teliron pauses a moment to examine the portal and focus his mind on his extensive knowledge of both the Arcane and The Planes. Perhaps something in the magical weaving of the portal will provide him knowledge of its construction.

[roll0]

[roll1]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 02:18 PM
"I have an idea to aid us in determining where that portal leads."

Gregor says, and then assumes his normal ape-like form.

(ooc: shapechange, not wildshape)

He places a hand around the amulet he wears.

(dramatic pause while we discuss ooc)

Sxoa
2008-02-18, 05:25 PM
The dust is rapidly forming an impenetrable cloud in the cylinder. The inky wet walls have become crusted with black muddy sludge, but they are no longer trapping any more dust.

Using your combined knowledge of Spellcraft and all matters arcane the group determines that the portal likely possesses a filter of some kind, preventing the transfer of ambient environmental fluids through it. It appears to be a portal to somewhere else on the same plane.

Another thing becomes apparent to the group. Your blindsight does not extend into the hallway. This is not a normal occurrence, as the open portal should function like any other open door.

Memphis's clever eyes notice one more thing. The masonry on the other side seems fake. A facade if you will.
Teliron failed the wisdom check to notice the blindsight thing. Theres enough of you now that I won't bother rolling.

I made Memphis's Knowledge Architecture check, you got a 31.
Picture:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2274907373_3401ef1720.jpg?v=0 Can anyone explain to me why that isn't just showing it there?

Toliudar
2008-02-18, 06:57 PM
Fiona

Floating into the hot, dusty air of the main tube, Fiona begins holding her breath. She glances over at Ex Machina, who mindspeaks to the group.

I'll see if an abstract of a celestial kinfolk will make the passage through that portal successfully.

Focusing below him/herself for a moment, Ex Machina briefly flares with golden light. An Avoral, winged and full of glory, appears next to Ex Machina.

Quickly, my friend. It is important that you go through this portal immediately, and land on the floor. Take a moment to activate your holy sight, then walk to the end of the passage, then transport yourself back to this end of the hallway and back to us.

This is a very dangerous task I set you, and I am sorry to ask it. I believe that the goal is noble and to the good.

Nodding uncertainly, the Avoral passes through the portal and attempts to follow those instructions, stopping if anything...unusual happens.

Sxoa
2008-02-18, 07:40 PM
The avoral flies through portal and instantly winks out...

Almost as if it had entered a(n)...
ANTIMAGIC FIELD!
DUH DUH DUUUUH! DRAMATIC REVERB!

Someone was bound to pass spellcraft so as usual I was lazy and didn't bother rolling.

So how 'bout that antimagic field huh? C'mon. You HAD to know this was coming. Its a freaking high level dungeon crawl.

Toliudar
2008-02-18, 07:50 PM
Fiona

Clearing her ears after the resounding success of her spellcraft check, Fiona smiles faintly in the gathering dust.

Hmm. If only one of us had special abilities that worked, even in an anti-magic field.

She can't help but glance at Ranvor, and at the sphere.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-18, 09:01 PM
Mr. Stabby

"Well I could give it the old college try chaps. I'm not so terrible without magic. Sorta.

I hope one you guys can cast Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness or this is going to be really bad if we run accross more mundane threats (which I am absolutely certain we will).

Seribro
2008-02-18, 09:34 PM
Memphis turns himself into a bugbear and flies back to the stone hide-out. He picks up a rather heavy rock, about the size of a human head and then flies into the metal spike. When he comes to the portal, he flings the non-magical rock through it and looks to see if it ends up in the hallway beyond.

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 12:35 AM
Memphis tosses the rock into the middle of the portal and it flies forward...

...and bizarrely continues to fly forward down the center of the hallway, picking up speed, till it shatters with a resounding crack at the far end of the hallway.

The debris sits against the far wall.

Toliudar
2008-02-19, 01:39 AM
Fiona

Interesting. From our perspective, it's a horizontal corridor. But perhaps it's actually a vertical shaft of some kind.

Seribro
2008-02-19, 05:00 AM
Combine that with the anti-magic field and you have a bone shattering ride down. Anyone without feather fall on the ready would get himself killed. If we hold a rope out here, we could 'lower' people into the shaft and recast a flying spell there. On the upside though, we now do know for certain that the portal leads into the hallway.

intelligence check to estimate the depth of the shaft with by the time it took the rock to hit the bottom. [roll0]

Kat Steel
2008-02-19, 07:37 AM
Martina

"Right so for those of us without any knowledges of Magics - what does that thing do again? Does it remove magic from everything or just suppress it? I always get confused!"

She looks at the magic users, waiting for an anwers. Meanwhile she begins uncoilling the silk ropes and tieing the ends together



[roll0]



"Well I guess it's time to show why i came along, Mr Stabby would you care to leave my pack and maybe ride on my shoulder and you can keep and eye out for danger"

Seribro
2008-02-19, 09:19 AM
There are two kinds of anti-magics. A disspelling portal is simply a doorway that disspells any spell that move through it, permanently ending it. Magical items are not destroyed however, merely shut down for a brief period of time. The other kind is an Antimagic field. This type does not end a spell but simply suppresses the effect for as long as you remain in its area. Any spells prior in function will continue to function once you leave the area. However, unlike a disspelling portway, an anti magic area can stretch out for either a few feet or encompass an entire dungeon, depending on its source. By the looks of it, we are dealing with an anti-magic area, so there wont be any use recasting buffers once we have entered the next area, but the buffers currently in place will kick in again when we leave it. Needless to say, us magicians are going to have a very rough time in there.
Memphis rubs his chin as he gazes into the hallway. Once they enter it, they are most likely going to be defenceless to whatever is down there.
Mister Stabby, you are pretty much invulnarable to environmental hazards on your own, right? Would you agree on being our scout at this point? Martina can accompany you in a moment, but we first need to know if she would survive without the magical protections.

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 09:43 AM
Memphis estimates that the tunnel is just shy of 150 feet, maybe 149 feet and 6 inches or so.

::pout:: curse your bones the lot of you, for figuring this out before stepping in!

One thing I forgot to mention when you dropped the rock: The group's sharp eyes (a lot of you have spot checks over 30) noticed the far wall wobble slightly when hit by the stone.

douglas
2008-02-19, 06:44 PM
Ranvor

"Yes, I believe Mr. Stabby would be our best scout for this situation. I have 200 feet of rope, and our celestial friend here doesn't need magic to fly. If you can find a safe spot for us to land down there, Ex Machina could lower us all down before flying down himself."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-19, 08:28 PM
"One has to wonder, though, why that wall...shimmered...or rippled...when the rock struck it." muses Gregor out loud.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-19, 08:48 PM
Mr. Stabby

Not to worry lad, I'm certain its just a death-trap of some sort. I'll just... scout ahead a little. No worries..."

He looks down into the death corridor and gulps. After getting ready he will lower himself down through the portal on the rope, stopping his descent just after the portal (no wall touching).

Mr. Stabby puts away his crossbow and Gloves of Man. He then starts to move through the portal slowly (he can still climb with rat claws). When he crosses the portal he will stop within the first 5ft. and make Spot and Listen Check as well as a thorough sweep with his scent ability. If nothing happens immediately upon entering he will check the wall closest to him for traps.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search [roll2]