PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape stamping?

ABB
2007-12-16, 05:20 PM
How do you make stamps in inkscape and save them under various titles, like "Sarge head", "sarge hair", etc?

Trazoi
2007-12-16, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure you can store stamps in Inkscape like that - I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though!

Whenever I've needed a collection of reusable objects I save them all in a document I use as a kind of library - a normal Inkscape document with a collection of groups of objects with labels using the text tool so I know what they all are. Then I just cut and paste what I need into a new Inkscape document to build things with them.

ABB
2007-12-16, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure you can store stamps in Inkscape like that - I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though!

Whenever I've needed a collection of reusable objects I save them all in a document I use as a kind of library - a normal Inkscape document with a collection of groups of objects with labels using the text tool so I know what they all are. Then I just cut and paste what I need into a new Inkscape document to build things with them.

I read and saved your tut on making avatars, HUGE help, thanks a lot.

As adept as you are at inkscape-Fu I'd bet you're right at this subject, unfortunately. A stamp command would have made inkspace perfect, with a stamp folder, etc.

Guess I'll have to try what you suggested...

Trazoi
2007-12-16, 10:13 PM
Glad you enjoyed the tutorial - I'm hoping to update it over the Christmas break.

While I've been using Inkscape for a while, I learnt mainly through trial and error - experimenting with all the tools and making lots and lots of mistakes. Since I learnt through my own experimentation I'm sure there's a whole bunch of stuff I haven't tried out yet, so there might be some hidden functionality I don't know about. For example I've only recently upgraded to version 0.45 and started playing around with blurs. There might be something like stamps hidden away or possibly under development for the next version; I'm not 100% sure.

Trazoi
2007-12-16, 10:21 PM
Just as an additional info: I did a quick Google search and found this image from Inkscape's site that shows a technique similar to what I suggested (largish image in spoiler tags):

http://www.inkscape.org/showcase/gallery/inkscape_rpg_map.png

Yeril
2007-12-17, 03:31 AM
Yeah, the nearest you can get is to draw out several hairstyles and cut-paste them into the document your working on. :smallsmile: