PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 23: The BAM vs. Nirmian



ArenaManager
2007-12-17, 11:28 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 23: The BAM vs. Nirmian

Map

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Bitzeralisis/Arena%20Tournament%20Maps/The-Barnyard.gif


XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

All combatants, please roll initiative.

KCiemir
2007-12-17, 11:44 PM
Rolling initiative, will still buy things before the match starts.

[roll0]

Bayar
2007-12-18, 09:03 AM
Ok, so I know about the match...will buy some more stuff...

Init: [roll0]

KCiemir
2007-12-18, 01:12 PM
Alright.
Spells prepared (refs only)

0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness


And, Actions:
Begin in O21 with scroll of invisibility and scorching ray in hand.
cast invisibility [roll0] DC 4
Rest of action depends on success of the scroll


Not done

KCiemir
2007-12-18, 01:20 PM
Drop used scroll
move to P16
[roll0] (+5 dex, -5 full speed)

NOTE: I AM INVISIBLE


Your Go

Stats:
AC:15
HP:4
Buffs: Invisibility 1/30
Location: P16
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-18, 03:22 PM
Ok.
The BAM
Start in K6 with scroll of shield and expeditious retreat in hands.Double move to F 12 unless LOS is established.-> might change

Familiar
Stay in K6, attempt to hide.
Hide:[roll0]

Not done, need LOS.
Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC:16 Flat:12 Touch:15
Spells: 5 0lvl, 4 1lvl
Familiar:
HP: 5/5
AC:16 Touch:15 Flat:14

Morbius
2007-12-18, 06:28 PM
Ref Morbius


The BAM
No LoS


Nirmian
No LoS

Bayar
2007-12-19, 08:56 AM
your turn.

KCiemir
2007-12-19, 02:19 PM
double move to L6
Note: I am invisible
[roll0]
[roll=move silently part two]1d20[/roll
One for each part of my double move


End Turn

Stats
AC:15
HP:4
Buffs: Invisibility 2/30
Location: L6
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Reacitve rolls:
[roll1]
[roll2]

KCiemir
2007-12-19, 02:20 PM
Sorry, messed up a roll =(

[roll0]

Bayar
2007-12-19, 03:49 PM
Double move to K21

Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC:16 Flat:12 Touch:15
Spells: 5 0lvl, 4 1lvl

Morbius
2007-12-19, 04:56 PM
Ref Morbius


The BAM
No LoS


Nirmian
No LoS

KCiemir
2007-12-19, 06:26 PM
Alright
ActionsMove to I6 and look for him

Need LoS

Not Done, need LoS

Mavian
2007-12-19, 06:38 PM
@The BAM

No LoS


@Nirmian

No LOS

KCiemir
2007-12-19, 06:43 PM
Then continuing Move to I-11 and cast silent image in I17
the image is an exact copy of Nirmian

As a free action, call out "Come and get me BAM!"

End Turn
Stats
AC:15
HP:4
Buffs: Invisibility 3/30
Location: I-11
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Reacitve rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bayar
2007-12-20, 03:36 AM
Free action: I will...when you surrender!

Other actions:Move to L25

Not done, need LOS.

Also, question for refs:
should I state somewhere that I get the emphatic link from my familiar? because in the last match, my opponent went in my spawn zone, and I could tell the general direction he went...but dunno...think my opponent is hiding in the barn, waiting to surprise me...since he has less hit points, and should finish me quikly...

Morbius
2007-12-20, 12:06 PM
Ref Morbius


The BAM
No LoS . The voice came from the northwest. And if you want US to remember about your familiar YOU have to remind about him on your post (a simple line "Familiar continues to hide on XX" is enough and no, so far you familiar saw nothing


Nirmian
No LoS. His reply came from the southeast[/QUOTE]

Bayar
2007-12-20, 02:30 PM
Ok.

The BAM
Move to Q25.

Familiar:
Kepps hiding in K6

Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC:16 Flat:12 Touch:15
Spells: 5 0lvl, 4 1lvl

KCiemir
2007-12-20, 03:31 PM
Actions:


Move to H19, attept to move silently [roll0] (+5 DEX, -5 movement)
Maintain concentration on image, having it move to F24

NOTES TO REFS:
1. I am invisible
2. The silent image looks exactly like me and is in F24


Done, but probably want a LOS check

StatsAC:15
HP:4
Buffs: Invisibility 4/30
Location: H-19 (note, silent image of me at F24)
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Reacitve rolls:
[roll1]
[roll2]

theterran
2007-12-20, 04:38 PM
Ref Terran


@The BAM
You see Nirmian moving south and stopping in F24.

@Nirmian
You see The BAM in Q25.

Bayar
2007-12-20, 06:03 PM
Oh, crud...I am unprepared...will cast a spell from a scroll, and then drop it as a free action.
Casting shield.Still have a scroll of Exp. retreat in hand.

Then I move to T23.

Your go.

KCiemir
2007-12-21, 01:19 AM
Spellcraft check to identify that spell.
will take actions depending in result.
[roll0] DC 15 for 0th or 16 for 1st

KCiemir
2007-12-21, 01:28 AM
Ah, well, I guess I'll just do my actions. move to P22, have image appear to double-move to T20. Attempt to move silently [roll0]

NOTE: I am invisible


You see Nirmian double move to T20 (YAY color spray range, BOO no standard action)

Go
Stats
AC:15
HP:4
Buffs: Invisibility 5/30
Location: P22 (note, silent image of me at T20)
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Reacitve rolls:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bayar
2007-12-21, 08:18 AM
So, I will cast a spell at you then...
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Incase you wonder what spell it is, lets just say that it looks somewhat like a little fireball...(lesser orb of fire...)

Then I move to V25.

Edit: so close to kill you, needed +2 on my roll...

KCiemir
2007-12-21, 06:02 PM
Make a DC 17 will save

if you make it, read this:the thing you shot at is an illusion

Bayar
2007-12-21, 08:05 PM
Will save:[roll0]

Well, **** me...was thinking it was an illusion when you said make a will save...

KCiemir
2007-12-21, 08:54 PM
move to T25 and cast blindness. Caster level check: [roll0] DC 8

Not done

KCiemir
2007-12-21, 08:57 PM
You see Nirmian appear in T25 as he finishes casting a spell
you need a DC 18 Fort save.
If you fail it:you go blind:smalltongue:
if you make it, nothing happens

Spell if you beat a DC 22 spellcraft checkblindness

Its your turn after you attempt the save
STATSAC:15
HP:4
Buffs:
Location: T25
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-22, 06:29 AM
How the hell do you appear there?!? you are barely level 1...god, I hate you.

Fort save:[roll0]

Please Ladybird of luck, help me again beat the odds.

****. So I go blind...that means I cant target you? or what? can I attempt to cast a spell in the last place I saw you? without bonuses to aiming?

Morbius
2007-12-22, 06:58 AM
Ref Morbius

I don't think there is anything that prevents you from aiming at the last square you saw him with your normal bonuses, but he will at least have 50% concealment

Bayar
2007-12-22, 07:01 AM
Ok.
So I will attack him with a lesser orb of fire. Hope it hits.
Attack: [roll0]
Concealment: [roll1] - just tell me exactly the numbers of the miss...

Ok, so I roll everythink on this trump card. Hope I get lucky.

Well...seems my luck wont hold in this particular match...since no spells I cast actually hit anything...

Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC: 20 Touch:15 Flat:12
Blinded
Buffs: Shield 3/10

Bayar
2007-12-22, 07:06 AM
Also, since I am blinded, will just listen for you...
Listen: [roll0] umm...do you get a bonus to listen checks because you are blind? In RL you kinda get, but dunno...

Morbius
2007-12-22, 07:22 AM
Ref Morbius

I don't remember anything about a bonus to listen, I would need to check, but the miss chance for total concelament is 50% as I noted in my previous post, so just add a "hits on a XX to XX" on your next roll

Bayar
2007-12-22, 08:03 AM
oh, ok. So for my move action, I pull out a small vial and hold it in my hand.

It is a vial of acid

Your turn.

KCiemir
2007-12-22, 03:17 PM
Move to N21, double moving with a half-move each time so I can move silently
[roll0]


Bayar, it is a scroll of invisibility. It took a caster level check of DC 4, and cost 150 GP. Honestly, its overpowered, but when my opponent has 9 more HP than me, and access to two spells that block magic missile, I need something.

End
STATS
AC:15
HP:4
Buffs:
Location: N21
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-23, 09:17 AM
Ok, so my turn.

Free action: Listen, I am in a disadvantage here...being blind and all...so to have the same chances, I suggest the following: you move next to me and we do a little morningstar roulette....is that fair? I think so.

What I mean to say: You cast a spell at me, i get AOO with my unnarmed strike which will definately not hit you, since my strenght is as low as the Marianas Thrench...then I cast a spell at you , only 0 level, and you get an AOO and attempt to hit me with your big morningstar...

Standard action: cast a spell upon myself.

HP: 13/13
AC: 26 Touch:15 Flat:12
Blinded. +2 Ac, +1 reflex from tree
Buffs: Shield 4/10
Mage armor 1/600

Morbius
2007-12-23, 09:26 AM
Ref Morbius

Just FYI, you can't make AoOs while blind.:smalleek:

Bayar
2007-12-23, 10:06 AM
Ref Morbius

Just FYI, you can't make AoOs while blind.:smalleek:

ok, one more reason you should accept then...

KCiemir
2007-12-23, 04:03 PM
Free action: Respond "we'll see... I'll just need to get ready... And you hear a spell cast to the North eastMage armor DC 21 spellcraft to find out what.

I then move 20 ft, moving silently [roll0] to R 20

End
Stats

AC:19
HP:4
Buffs:Mage Armor 1/600
Location: R20
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-23, 05:17 PM
Ok...
so no spellcraft check for me...because havent trained it, and doubt that I can identify a spell being cast while I am blind...damn blindness...it has only 1 advantage...it made me immune to color spray :smallbiggrin:

Listen:[roll0]
Dont think I will hear anything...except him splating the **** out of me with his mace...but since I can hear if he casta a spell, I will go aahead and ready an action to cast an acid orb in the direction from where the spellcasting sounds come...


Free action:You know, killing a blind kobold without offering him a chance to at least attempt to fight you...can lead to a scandal...you know...racist stuff...

Your turn...

KCiemir
2007-12-24, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that no color spray thing is a problem. Well, actionsMove to X24. double moving to move silently [roll0]

Forgot to say Done

Stats: AC:19
HP:4
Buffs:Mage Armor 2/600
Location: X24
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent image, Shield
2: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-24, 04:28 PM
My actions...you got to be ****ing kidding me...what the hell can I do blind?
Listen check:[roll0]

KCiemir
2007-12-24, 09:34 PM
Is your turn complete?

Bayar
2007-12-25, 12:10 PM
yeah, what, would you expected to cast dispel or something? Your turn...

Morbius
2007-12-25, 01:23 PM
My actions...you got to be ****ing kidding me...what the hell can I do blind?


Ref Morbius


Forfeit, pray for a +20 listen roll or find a smart way out of this:smallwink:

Bayar
2007-12-25, 02:23 PM
Ref Morbius


Forfeit, pray for a +20 listen roll or find a smart way out of this:smallwink:


Yeah, a +20, I can get a max of 19...with a natural 20...

KCiemir
2007-12-25, 05:08 PM
Move to Z21 and cast scorching ray from scroll. [roll0] DC4.

If thats successful, I shoot a scorching ray at you.
[roll1] VS your touch AC with no Dex Mod (should be just 10)
[roll2]

We'll see how that does.


EDIT: a hit for 9 points.
EDIT2: It comes at you from the North-East

Stats
HP:4/4
AC:19
Position: Z21
Buffs: Mage Armor 3/600
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x3
1st: Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield, Color Spray
2nd: Blindness

Bayar
2007-12-25, 05:40 PM
Grr...you attack a defenseless kobold...are you happy?Just come near me and shove a spell, if you have the guts ! you chicken !

Cast a spell from the direction the ray came from.

Attack:[roll0]
Concealment:[roll1]

The spell gets royally screwed...also, it was acid splash in case you were wondering.

KCiemir
2007-12-25, 09:44 PM
Move silently to Z23 [roll=1d20+5[/roll]
Cast a ray of frost
drop prone


Casting ray of frost at you, from somewhere behind you.

[roll0] (against touch AC with no dex mod)
[roll1]

Stats to come

HP:4/4
AC:19
Position: Z23
Buffs: Mage Armor 4/600
Spells:
0th: Ray of frost x2 Ray of frost x1
1st: Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield, Color Spray
2nd: Blindness

KCiemir
2007-12-25, 09:47 PM
Messed up a roll, sorry.
[roll0]

Bayar
2007-12-26, 05:16 AM
Ok, cast in the direction from where the ray came from...my last spell in this match, all or nothing...
Sudden maximize orb of lesser fire !

attack:[roll0]
concealment:[roll1]

Edit...Umm...think that hit and dealt a full 8 damage...

Edit2: if it did not hit for whatever reason, then surrender...


Stats:
HP: 1/13
AC: 26 Touch:15 Flat:12 (touch only 10 for being blind...)
Blinded. +2 Ac, +1 reflex from tree
Buffs: Shield 8/10
Mage armor 5/600
spells: 0lvl: oooxx ; 1lvl: xxxx

KCiemir
2007-12-26, 02:59 PM
I think that missed... AC 15 normally, 19 after mage armor, and 23 for being prone. If you want you can call a ref to check to make sure...

Kyeudo
2007-12-26, 03:18 PM
GM Kyeudo

Lesser Orb of Fire is a ranged touch attack, last I checked, so the +4 armor from Mage Armor doesn't apply. Thus, the BAM lands a hit on Nirmian.

The BAM is declared the Winner!

Bigmac
2007-12-26, 03:19 PM
Orbs are ranged TOUCH attacks, so mage armor does not help you. If the concealment check was passed (didn't see where he declared above or below 50) then the spell does indeed hit.


Edit: Look out for Ninjas!

Bayar
2007-12-26, 04:24 PM
wow...now that was a good match...and honestly, I was thinking thee is no way in hell I can land a hit while blind...too many variables...

Mavian
2007-12-26, 05:30 PM
High Ref Mav:

Um... I don't think certain things have been taken into consideration in this ruling.

From Blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded):

All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character.

From Total Concealment: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#totalConcealment)
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You canít attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies

Bayar has to state which square he is attacking, before concealment is even considered. Which means his attack has not hit yet.

Bigmac
2007-12-26, 06:29 PM
Since he's blinded, stating that he attacks where the ray came from is not enough. He can know a general direction, but Bayer will have to state a square specifically that he wants to attack.

Kyeudo
2007-12-26, 11:50 PM
GM Kyeudo

I missed the part about the Blindness. I thought I was dealing with a regular form of concealment.

Looks like the BAM isn't the winner just yet. He needs to guess the correct square in which Nirmian is before we can call it in his favor.

Bayar
2007-12-27, 06:29 AM
oh, damn, that sucks...well I will look at the map...I know he is somewhere behind me... Since I am in V25....I will go with V26.

Morbius
2007-12-27, 07:42 AM
Ref Morbius

What is the listen DC for casting? Is it 0 or -10? If if is -10 he did had a 16 listen roll(I just don't know if it was this turn) and it would be enough to know the square

Bayar
2007-12-27, 08:25 AM
-10 for a battle, but since he needs to speak with a loud voice, I guess you can preety much hear him, unless he uses silent spell...

So I should know from which square he is casting? or the general direction?


Ref Morbius

What is the listen DC for casting? Is it 0 or -10? If if is -10 he did had a 16 listen roll(I just don't know if it was this turn) and it would be enough to know the square

It was in theround when he hit me with 9 HP damage... I should have known the square, but did not....seems that someone didnt take that in account....

KCiemir
2007-12-27, 05:36 PM
OK, so this match seems to have gotten fairly screwed up...

I suggest we call Kyeudo, have him make a definite ruling on what happens (if you heard exactly where I was, if you should have known earlier, et cetera.


That way, this confusion will end, and either you heard me, and I lose, or you didn't, and we keep going. I don't really care if I win at this point, I just want a ruling one way or the other:smallsigh: .

Kyeudo
2007-12-28, 12:20 AM
GM Kyeudo

I believe I previously ruled on the volume of spellcasting. It is a DC 0 check, not DC -10, so the BAM does not hear Nirmian well enough to pinpoint his location. Since he failed to guess the proper location, unless I missed something major, he misses with his Orb of Fire and the match continues.

Bayar
2007-12-28, 05:05 AM
umm...so he is not in v26? then how can he be behind me? if he was say in u26, it would have been spellcasting sounds from the SW, and if he were to cast from w26, it would have been spellcasting sounds from SE...so how CAN he shoot from behind me?

Look, I grew bored of this match...so lets do something different. Lets let luck decide, we each roll a d100, whoever has highest wins. Like: if you get higher, I surrender. If I get higher, you surrender, or get hit by the orb, whatever...k?

KCiemir
2007-12-30, 02:32 AM
I think that gives you a much greater chance of winning, but if you don't want to continue, than there is no reason to draw it out. I accept your offer, and so will roll here. whoever rolls higher wins.

[roll0]

Bayar
2007-12-30, 04:46 AM
WOW !!! an 89...hard to beat....umm...ok, I will try. FOR MY COUNTRY !!!


please let it be higher than 89, pleasepleaseplease...

preety much relevant...you won I lost...

EDIT 2: Checking the spoiler tags, a riddle has spawned in my brain, how were you behind me when you were east from me?



Move silently to Z23 [roll=1d20+5
Cast a ray of frost
drop prone


Casting ray of frost at you, from somewhere behind you.

[roll0] (against touch AC with no dex mod)
[roll1]

KCiemir
2007-12-30, 05:25 PM
Simple... I thought you were facing west. If it really is a big deal, and you think the outcome is unfair because of it, I am open to suggestions as to how to handle it, given that you already read the spoilers.

Bayar
2008-01-01, 03:06 PM
yeah, that is quite a dilemma...think that match restart is out of the question...

But normally, you can be facing in every direction, that is how LOS works at least...so you should have used it...but whatever...what a High Ref will rule goes....

Kyeudo
2008-01-07, 06:48 PM
GM Kyeudo

Let this be a lesson in why not to use relative prepositions in a system that doesn't define facing.

Nirmian is declared the Winner!

GL to you both in your next matches.