PDA

View Full Version : Bond Villains For A Better Tomorrow (Idea)

Leliel
2007-12-18, 03:46 PM
In this campaign, as the title suggests, the PCs play "Diabolical Mastermind/Evil Overlord" types (Probably both) who are actually trying to help the world (a process that hopefully, involves taking a significant portion, if not the entire planet, over. These are Bond villains after all). Needless to say...

Other then "cats for all", how would you, the posters, go about creating a campaign where the PCs are non-evil 007 villains? What about their equally stereotyped-and-subverted enemies? How would you guide them on their *ahem* "insane plan to save the world", and what should it be? How much freedom should they be given when they inevitably decide to construct a base? Should they be allowed to hire "Mooks", or at least build them? What is the quantity of roleplaying XP that they should be given if they run in terror when they hear the words "Shaken, not stirred" in reference to a martini?

Few rules:

1) Yes, I am subverting a trope for no other reason then parody. You do not have to ask me why.

2) Obviously, this will be a "rather" comedic campaign, but I want there to be some serious themes. A good comedy makes you think.

And now the obligatory Leliel "Lets start" phrase:

*Dramatic as possible*:This is only the beginning...of the thread...

kamikasei
2007-12-18, 03:59 PM
Dude!

Play a freakin' evil game already!

:smalltongue:

Leliel
2007-12-18, 04:24 PM
Dude!

Play a freakin' evil game already!

:smalltongue:

I would, except I am deathly afraid of the "loose cannon" evil player, and I feel queasy at some of the players this way.

Besides, I think subversion of evil sterotypes is fun.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-18, 04:27 PM
Why is it that every one of your thread ideas, I can link to Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Oh, right, because they also subverted tropes just for the hell of it. That, and your user name.

Anyhow...let me address your specific questions.

1) A union of Evil Overlord types would need to have some common goal in mind not to continuously backstab each other. The easiest thing is to have them base their philosophy on the fact that humanity (well, mortality in a D&D world) is inherently corrupt and self-destructive. Their plan is to conquer the world and divide it between them in an effort to save the people from themselves. This fits with the collosal arrogance expected of a supervillain while still being a plausibly noble goal. See also: Klaus Wulfenbach of Girl Genius (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com), although he works alone.

2) Well, the PCs want to rule the world to save it from itself. Their main opponent should probably be what people suggested for your "Good Guys who want to destroy the world" thought-experiment. I'd go with a Lawful Good(ish) apocalypse cult, personally. They're attempting to bring about a prophesied end of days and re-create the world because they believe mortality is beyond redemption as it stands. Your guys are having none of that; they'd rather maintain their positions of power and use them to guide the current world. In addition, you have clueless regular adventurers serving the corrupt governments of the world and constantly harassing your plans. I'd go with whatever cliché adventuring groups you can come up with, running around and destroying your lairs, mucking up your plots, and killing your underlings. Toward the end of the campaign, whatever the most memorable adventuring group is gets hired by the Apocalypse Cult (without knowing their real agenda) for a big final showdown.

3) Clearly, their goal here is to a) take control of the world's governments to keep the corrupt masses under control and b) prevent the truly mad from killing everyone. Bribery, assassination, coercion of all sorts can accomplish the first, as well as outright conquest once they've got a foothold. I'll get back with more details on this part.

4 and 5) This depends on what kind of campaign you want to run. A big strategic/political game? Sky's the limit. An easier-to-DM hands-on approach by a party of powerful characters? Keep it simple.

6) None, if they do the smart thing and Just Shoot Him.

Xefas
2007-12-18, 04:35 PM

Obviously, the Evil Overlord Handbook (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilOverlordList) has some relevance here.

kamikasei
2007-12-18, 04:37 PM

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power... they will talk, they will gloat. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."

-Terry Pratchett

Leliel
2007-12-18, 05:42 PM
"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power... they will talk, they will gloat. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."

-Terry Pratchett

So sayeth the Lord. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod) Of Satire, that is.

Nota Biene
2007-12-18, 08:39 PM
To drive home that they really are motivated out of an arrogant sense of nobility, have them be fanatical Hobbesians, (without it being called that, of course) thoroughly convinced that war will never end until the entire world is united under one ruler. When their plot is done, they will simply draw straws to see who "inherits the earth" and the rest fully intend to go back to being private citizens. Whether they can be counted on not to change their minds might lead to dramatic tension...

Also, as bond villains, each one needs an outrageous schtick and beautiful one-dimensional female lackey. :smalltongue: Unless they themselves are female. Then they can just be evil, and brilliant.