PDA

View Full Version : Wealth by level help

Exeson
2007-12-19, 03:00 PM
So, I am getting really annoyed with myself because I can never remember what the standard wealth for a character of X level. I had it written down but I lost the sheet of paper :smallannoyed:

So anyway, could someone post the wealth by level stuff, as I cannot find it on SRD?

Thanks in advance.

Tyger
2007-12-19, 03:01 PM
That chart isn't OGL, so no, it can't be posted here.

That said, answering questions about the chart is permitted, so maybe if you have a specific level you wanted the WBL for?

Exeson
2007-12-19, 03:09 PM
oh, I thought it was, woops.:smallredface: At the moment I am looking for tenth level.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-19, 05:52 PM
49,000 gp for a PC and 16,000 gp for a NPC at level 10.

Darrin
2007-12-20, 08:38 AM
49,000 gp for a PC and 16,000 gp for a NPC at level 10.

What puzzles me is that chart doesn't advance in a predictable way that can be derived as a formula. It seems totally arbitrary... any ideas on why WBL doesn't follow a set pattern?

Did the desigers actually average out the relative power levels of all the base classes at those levels, and adjusted WBL by that? Or did they go with the "eyeball" or "pick numbers out of a hat" method?

Armads
2007-12-20, 08:50 AM
I think they just picked random numbers out of a hat.

Iku Rex
2007-12-20, 08:57 AM
http://www.msen.com/~muffin/ADD/Chars/wealthbylevel.html

BobTheDog
2007-12-20, 09:29 AM
Oh, how I hate the arbitrary WBL tables. Does anyone have a good workable house rule or player-built online rule to address that?

Craig1f
2007-12-20, 10:36 AM
I think a good rule of thumbs is that characters should not be able to afford many enchanted items that have more than a +1 bonus per 4 levels.

So if your players are level 10, but they've got a +3 weapon and +3 armor, +3 deflection, etc, you're giving them too much. If they're still only using +1, then they should have a few other types of items to make up for it (amulets of natural armor, weapon and armor crystals from Magic Item Compendium, etc)

CASTLEMIKE
2007-12-20, 04:22 PM
What puzzles me is that chart doesn't advance in a predictable way that can be derived as a formula. It seems totally arbitrary... any ideas on why WBL doesn't follow a set pattern?

Did the desigers actually average out the relative power levels of all the base classes at those levels, and adjusted WBL by that? Or did they go with the "eyeball" or "pick numbers out of a hat" method?

IMO wealth by level scales with the suggested magic items the PCs should have remember the game is designed on the premise that no PC is supposed to have a magic item greater than 25% of his wealth.

Look at the price jumps for each additional +1 increase in magical weapons or armor or other items like Cloaks of Resistance or Rings of Protection.

Thinker
2007-12-20, 04:31 PM
I think a good rule of thumbs is that characters should not be able to afford many enchanted items that have more than a +1 bonus per 4 levels.

So if your players are level 10, but they've got a +3 weapon and +3 armor, +3 deflection, etc, you're giving them too much. If they're still only using +1, then they should have a few other types of items to make up for it (amulets of natural armor, weapon and armor crystals from Magic Item Compendium, etc)

So at level 20 they should only have a +5 item? Why would the game bother having non-epic items with a +10 value then?

Part of the problem is that some classes double in power roughly every 2 levels and others don't.