PDA

View Full Version : Just got Linux

Zeful
2007-12-20, 07:15 PM
Hi all, my household has just recently updated to Linux. And, after some issues with learning how everything works, managed to get drivers loaded for the modem. Here I am, posting from the Linus OS. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what programs to get next?

Zakama
2007-12-20, 08:43 PM
Wine, if you can figure out how to use it. It lets you run windows programs, alway handy.

valadil
2007-12-20, 10:30 PM
Depends on what you want to do with your linux. For basic computing, firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, pidgin (aim client), totem (movie player), gimp (image manipulation) and rhythmbox should keep you happy (though you probably already have some of those, especially firefox if you're posting here).

I can list software packages all day, but it would be more useful if I knew what you wanted to do with the computer.

Skippy
2007-12-20, 11:20 PM
It would also be useful if we knew which distro of Linux are you using. Congratulations!!

Crispy Dave
2007-12-20, 11:38 PM
when i start adavnced computer programming in na few eeks ill be building a rig with windows xp pro and linix im not sure what vesion im getting but im gonna read in on this topic too if you dont mind