PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm thinking of starting a Sprite Comic.

RationalGoblin
2007-12-20, 09:12 PM
Except, the game I'm spriting, Fire Emblem: Something. (don't know which one it is in English, but Rekka no Ken in Japanense) has almost no sprites at the Shyguy Kingdom, the site I get sprites from.

Also, I have never started a webcomic before. I think I'll need help finding the funny things of Fire Emblem.

So, with both of those things, I need help. Otherwise, with the hosting and all, I have SmackJeeves, so I'm fine.

Can anyone help me with my endeavor?

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-20, 09:13 PM
i'll say "Good luck".
but thats about all i can offer at the moment.

Sneak
2007-12-20, 09:32 PM
Good luck.

I don't know much about where to get sprites or spriting, and I've never played Fire Emblem.

I will say, however, that starting a sprite comic is no easy thing. Because of the large number of crappy sprite comics made by idiot with nothing better to do, many sprite comics (not using original sprites, that is) will just get ignored or brushed off as 'just another sprite comic.' Or at least that's what I often do. :P Anyway, my point is...to be successful in sprite comicking, I'd say that your comic will need to be very good. I'm not saying you can't do this, but I'm just warning you.

Also: I consider art to be a very important facet of webcomics. I think it's harder to have great art when using sprites (as I said before, I'm not sure...I've never sprited before).

Anyway...good luck! And if you need any humor tips from someone who doesn't know anything about Fire Emblem, feel free to ask me. After all, I am HELLA funny. :P

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-20, 09:37 PM
After all, I am HELLA funny. :P

*cough*conceited *cough*

Actually, that could be a pretty good idea.

Omega
2007-12-20, 10:34 PM
Except, the game I'm spriting, Fire Emblem: Something. (don't know which one it is in English, but Rekka no Ken in Japanense) has almost no sprites at the Shyguy Kingdom, the site I get sprites from.

Also, I have never started a webcomic before. I think I'll need help finding the funny things of Fire Emblem.

So, with both of those things, I need help. Otherwise, with the hosting and all, I have SmackJeeves, so I'm fine.

Can anyone help me with my endeavor?

I like the idea of a spirte comic. As well: Good Luck!

Emperor Ing
2007-12-21, 06:24 AM
Well, I make my own sprites, so I cant help you in finding them. Try Google.

And it is a really bad idea to make a storyline based on the actual storyline, with some humor thrown in. Make your own storyline using those characters.

Edit: okay, found it for you. Here (http://www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo/fe/)

RationalGoblin
2007-12-21, 11:47 AM
Well, I make my own sprites, so I cant help you in finding them. Try Google.

And it is a really bad idea to make a storyline based on the actual storyline, with some humor thrown in. Make your own storyline using those characters.

Edit: okay, found it for you. Here (http://www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo/fe/)

Thanks, and that's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

yoshi927
2007-12-21, 12:05 PM
You can get any FE sprite you need at FEPlanet. It's down right now, but only for a few days. Just give it a google.

The_Chilli_God
2007-12-21, 01:55 PM
There's one difficulty with sprites.
You will have to edit them yourself if you want exactly the right pose for the moment, otherwise it'll look stupid. The same goes for the backgrounds (especially if you're going to rip them from the game as well). For crying out loud, do not make them look stupid! I know of one person only who could have done that and still made a very good (if artistically eye-burning) sprite comic.

I don't think that taking your storyline from out of the game itself is a necessarily bad thing (heck, I can't afford to think that way!), but you will definitely need your own twist on almost every character that you introduce. You will have to bend and break the storyline, add in your own little plots where none were given in any source.

Ichneumon
2007-12-29, 06:54 AM
So, this is dead? I hope not, I like sprite comics.

RationalGoblin
2007-12-29, 10:57 AM
So, this is dead? I hope not, I like sprite comics.

Well... it sort of is, because I want a different storyline then the real one, yet it's difficult to think up a brand new storyline.

Though, since you reminded me, I'll at least try.

EDIT: Plus, there is no walking sprites for ANY characters anywhere! That makes it kind of hard to sprite the characters moving.

EDIT2: And how, I ask, is it possible to make even panels for a comic? HOW? That's my biggest trouble with the comic at the moment.

Crimmy
2007-12-30, 09:26 PM
use inkscape
it's the best for making things like lines and that

you could follow this way:

first, you make separate images, then you put them all together in inkscape, and put thick lines between them to make panels

Bryn
2007-12-31, 10:52 AM
EDIT2: And how, I ask, is it possible to make even panels for a comic? HOW? That's my biggest trouble with the comic at the moment.

Try making each panel seperately, which gives you control over the size of the page. Just make sure the height and width values are the same in each one.

As for walking sprites, you'll have to make them. It isn't hard: select the legs, rotate them slightly, fill in the gaps with pixels of the appropriate colour. If that's too hard, just do all walking shots at waist height so you don't have to show the legs (although that would look pretty terrible after a while).

Emperor Ing
2007-12-31, 01:32 PM
use inkscape
it's the best for making things like lines and that

you could follow this way:

first, you make separate images, then you put them all together in inkscape, and put thick lines between them to make panels

Actually, i would find Inkscape the thing to AVOID when making sprites
Use MS paint
Sprites use pixels
so pixels = good.
and the square brush tool is very handy. :smallwink:

Crimmy
2007-12-31, 08:01 PM
i didn't meant to use inkscape to make sprites, but to make panels and background (if he want's to put a background)

believe me, i know that inkscape is the worst idea to make pixelated works