PDA

View Full Version : Cantrips

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-23, 01:18 PM
Can you think of any new exciting ways to use cantrips and orisons.

1) Use create water to make free create water trps in a small room.

Chronicled
2007-12-23, 02:06 PM
2) Create Water over the head of the monologuing BBEG. Works like a charm...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 02:07 PM
Light for a Rock band's FX.

Tengu
2007-12-23, 02:28 PM
4) Change the taste of the beer in a dwarven tavern to mild fromage cheese with herbs. Doubly exciting if the patrons identify you as the caster of the spell.

13_CBS
2007-12-23, 03:30 PM
5) Use Create Water to force enemies to make Reflex saves or trip and go prone.

nerulean
2007-12-23, 04:10 PM
Prestidigitation to turn the paladin pink.

bugsysservant
2007-12-23, 04:12 PM
6) Dancing lights (humanoid form) to scare away creatures of animal intelligence

Chronicled
2007-12-23, 05:10 PM
5) Use Create Water to force enemies to make Reflex saves or trip and go prone.

Good luck getting a DM to allow that.

Tengu
2007-12-23, 05:20 PM

At least he's not trying to create it in the opponent's lungs, causing instant death.

BRC
2007-12-23, 05:22 PM
6: Ghost Sound to play the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly theme song whenever you meet the BBEG.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 05:25 PM
Why not use it to play We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions? It makes things a lot clearer for the poor superthug.

Parvum
2007-12-23, 05:29 PM
8) Barbarian opens some holes in the contruct, create water and short-circuit them to death.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 05:31 PM
Eeeh, constructs usually are magic powered, not electricity powered. Unless we're talking of d20 modern, but then you can kill them with Elvis memorabilia.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-23, 05:33 PM
Use create water to douse the enemies torch, plunging the room into darkness.

Use create water on the mean neighbors steps in the winter.

Use prestidigitation to write rebel slogans on the walls of the evil overlords castle.

Squidmaster
2007-12-23, 05:40 PM
2) Create Water over the head of the monologuing BBEG. Works like a charm...

I prefer it done over my allies heads:smallbiggrin:

Chronicled
2007-12-23, 05:41 PM
My favorite sorcerer was a halfling with Arcane Mark. Any opponent he helped defeat got a permanent "tattoo" of a hummingbird stuck onto their forehead. (A hummingbird was his familiar and his symbol.) At one point in the campaign, a BBEG whom we'd defeated was rezzed in front of us, at which point several party members start mocking him for the "tattoo." The DM was ticked about that one at first... until assassins started following the trail of hummingbirds. He made up for it by having good NPCs notice this as well.

So, 9) Arcane Mark to brand your enemies.

Solo
2007-12-23, 05:45 PM
My favorite sorcerer was a halfling with Arcane Mark. Any opponent he helped defeat got a permanent "tattoo" of a hummingbird stuck onto their forehead. (A hummingbird was his familiar and his symbol.) At one point in the campaign, a BBEG whom we'd defeated was rezzed in front of us, at which point several party members start mocking him for the "tattoo." The DM was ticked about that one at first... until assassins started following the trail of hummingbirds. He made up for it by having good NPCs notice this as well.

So, 9) Arcane Mark to brand your enemies.

Arcane Mark wears off, you know.

Zenos
2007-12-23, 05:46 PM
Light on someones pants.

Oh, wait, you said new uses?

Suzuro
2007-12-23, 05:48 PM
At least he's not trying to create it in the opponent's lungs, causing instant death.

We actually had a guy try that....he had a magical backlash, and almost drowned.

-Suzuro

Chronicled
2007-12-23, 05:49 PM
Arcane Mark wears off, you know.

Not if they're dead...

Arcane Mark
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One personal rune or mark, all of which must fit within 1 sq. ft.
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters. The writing can be visible or invisible. An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance without harm to the material upon which it is placed. If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable.

See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark. A read magic spell reveals the words, if any. The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.

If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the effect to fade in about a month.

Arcane mark must be cast on an object prior to casting instant summons on the same object (see that spell description for details).

We weren't big into capturing opponents.

Thanks for pointing that out, though.

13_CBS
2007-12-23, 06:00 PM

Actually, I DID pull it off. Right here on these boards, in fact.

It didn't do a WHOLE ton, but combined with a fog-ish spell that came in later, at least one or two people tripped, fell, and were knocked unconcious.

:smallbiggrin:

graymachine
2007-12-23, 07:54 PM
If you are low on cash Mending can let you earn your way, not to mention your room and board. This is especially true on a ship; it's a very flexible spell.

Randel
2007-12-23, 10:11 PM
Create water and put it in a container, and then use Prestidigitation to dirty it until it becomes mud. Then dump it on something. If you can wait long enough it might get slippery enough to act like grease for a while.

Create water and use prestidigitation or ray or frost to chill it until it turns to ice, then sell ice cubes.

use message and mage hand to pretend there is an invisible person somewhere.

Get a little puppet weighing less than 5 pounds and use Mage Hand to make it fly around, combine with message or ghost sound to make it sound possessed.

Dorizzit
2007-12-23, 10:14 PM
Prestidigitation. Repeat. Most hilarious spell in the game.

MCerberus
2007-12-23, 10:23 PM
Torture someone to death with metamagic and Ray of Frost.

Use message to annoy a caster until he responds while they're preparing spells.

Arcane Mark is an extremely efficient way to vandalize a town with lude images.

Dairun Cates
2007-12-23, 10:38 PM

Technically, I pulled that off with Aqua Create in Slayers d20. Mind you. It was an ABSOLUTE last ditch attempt to hit a super-reflexive opponent with my high damaging, nearly kill me when I cast it, super spell, and it only worked because the opponent was jumping from branch to branch when I did it. Actually managed to deal myself into lethal negatives almost entirely from spellcasting. Good times.

LibraryOgre
2007-12-23, 11:29 PM
Arcane Mark is an extremely efficient way to vandalize a town with lude images.

Only if your specific, personal rune is a lewd image. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneMark.htm)

Collin152
2007-12-23, 11:35 PM
Honestly, who abides by the specific mark thing?
And anyways, you can change your mark, right?
It's like changing your name. To Max power.

Ganurath
2007-12-23, 11:49 PM
Dancing Lights is good for signalling allies. (Couldn't resist.)

A 5+ Cleric can fly above an opponent and use Create Water to hit an opponent with 20d6 falling damage. Rain, rain, go away...

Naturewatch makes watching the gardener work hilarious in a sadistic sense.

Mage Hand should never be an option for pervy arcanists. I say no more.

Divine 0 Level spells are actually Orisons, btw. Orisons.

reorith
2007-12-24, 02:38 AM
use message to harass strangers

LibraryOgre
2007-12-24, 02:47 AM
Honestly, who abides by the specific mark thing?
And anyways, you can change your mark, right?
It's like changing your name. To Max power.

Max Power is too long; maximum is 6 characters.