Pages : [1] 2 3

nirha
2005-08-01, 03:21 AM
Quoth the Belkar: Too slow, sister!

I wonder how stupid a paladin can get. Really. Where do you think
Belkar carries that lead sheet around? ;D

Nikolai_II
2005-08-01, 04:02 AM
Hey, this thread is for discussing August's comics, of which there are none so far. ;D

lordthenightknight
2005-08-01, 04:28 AM
She should cast it when he isn't looking, but someone in the order (because she wouldn't do it) should pretend Belkar was detected as lawful good, just to see the look on his face.

nirha
2005-08-01, 06:04 AM
Now we have new, shiny, august comic to discuss.

I guess Monk/Paladins would be a tad difficult to enspell. Poor Vaarsuvius

The Giant
2005-08-01, 06:14 AM
New strip is up, along with info on the NEW BOOK, available at GenCon. Just check the Home page.

OOT-crazy
2005-08-01, 06:17 AM
Brilliant as usual Giant. Many thanks.

Baatezu
2005-08-01, 06:26 AM
excellent comic and a proper response to all the debate about samurais and miko's class.
but we still don't know if she uses wakizashi and katana... ;)

RebelRogue
2005-08-01, 06:34 AM
Hehe, I think we hear Rich speaking through Miko here ;D

Sundog
2005-08-01, 07:16 AM
I just loved Roy's comment at the end.

That does it. I didn't get Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, but I'm going to have to get the new book. I've GOT to know how Elan conned Roy into hiring him!

(Of course, this means I'll have to get a copy of DCF when the next printing is available...)

Incidentally, how do you order one when you don't have a credit card?

JD
2005-08-01, 07:31 AM
Samurai = Monk/Paladin

Poor Miko, she is going to have the hardest code of conduct in the history of Japa... D&D

Gobbo_in_the_Boots
2005-08-01, 07:39 AM
great as usual =)

Sebastian
2005-08-01, 07:39 AM
Would not be funny if at the end would be Elan to make her slip out of paladinhood and not Belkar? ;D

Aeek
2005-08-01, 08:19 AM
Would not be funny if at the end would be Elan to make her slip out of paladinhood and not Belkar? ;D

Ironic too, Elan is goody-good good. When she wants to kill him, more and more, she may twig that being good isn't everything.

Ferret_Dragon
2005-08-01, 12:56 PM
giantitp needs ..

more...

bandwidth... ;)

Took me 2 hours of trying to finally not get "attempt to connect giantitp.com timed out".

Excellent comic... Reminds me of the poor cleric in one of my games where there are two gnomes... (must obey deity... be nice to gnomes)

Nerd-o-rama
2005-08-01, 01:07 PM
Ex-Monk Paladin. Totally called it, though I also suspected a couple levels in Samurai for fre TWF...but I guess I was wrong.

I can also very much see why Roy is attracted to her too. She's a female, Japanese Southern Landsian version of him.

And I am so getting this new book. I mean, the title alone is the worst and greatest pun I've heard all week.

Dav
2005-08-01, 02:02 PM
Not an ex-monk--she's still Lawful. She can't take any more levels of monk, true, but she's not an official "ex-monk"--she can still use her monk abilities.

narfi_ref
2005-08-01, 02:11 PM
She could get the Ascetic Knight feat from Complete Adventurer and multiclass freely between both classes.

Nightmarenny
2005-08-01, 02:15 PM
And so ends the great debate. Where would I find this "master Samerai" prc?

Fireballed_Mage
2005-08-01, 02:36 PM
The Giant not only slays the great 'What's Miko's class' debate, but also gives a whole strip that again makes fun of D&D conventions and the failed attempt to bring real world stuff into it.

"What is this Japan you speak of?" ;D

Giant, I am afraid we're going to have to place you alone into an unbreakable bubble, just to make sure you never run the risk of endangering your writing hand, nor suffer any kind of accident that may send you to the hospital.

You are simply too great a treasure for the geeks of the world to not try and protect you.

And 'Master Samurai' was from the old 'Sword and Fist' splat book.

Lawful_Stupid
2005-08-01, 02:41 PM
"Truly, this journey shall be the greatest challenge to my alignment yet."

This is why the Order of the Stick is my favorite comic altogether. ;D Cannot wait for "On the Origins of PCs" to be released since we'll finally know the age-old question of why they are called the Order of the Stick.

kriklaf
2005-08-01, 02:53 PM
giantitp needs ..

more...

bandwidth... ;)

Done your part yet?:)

GreyRat
2005-08-01, 03:29 PM
Every time I see the legs on those horses, I can't help feeling they're really a couple guys in a horse suit. I imagine when they're 'off stage', they unzip it and take a soda break. :)

<= Excited about the 2nd book! Sorry I can't swing by GenCon for an advance copy.

Invariel
2005-08-01, 04:23 PM
A new book is revealed... And just in time for me to start a new job which will render me able to pay for said book. Excellent.
And, great comic, as always.

whmice
2005-08-01, 05:21 PM
Rich! you have outdone yourself!
i think this is the best comic ever!
3 major punch lines in one:
"its like im watching my life, but from the outside..."
"truly this journey shall be the greatest challenge to my alignment yet"
"Ah so you took a few levels in monk before switching"
its like you double inverted the real life, D&D and the comic "life".
realy good
makes me want to buy the book too, boom to buisness *chuckles*

Caledonian
2005-08-01, 05:26 PM
Remember: it's 'i' before 'e', except after 'c', or if the sound is 'ay' like in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'. Hierarchy, not heirarchy.

I know it's a trivial detail that doesn't even alter the word's pronunciation, but every time I see 'heirarchy' I die a little inside. I mention it only because I care. I also hope everyone is eating enough fresh fruit.

Nightmarenny
2005-08-01, 05:29 PM
heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heiheirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy rarchy heirarchyheirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heiheirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy heirarchy rarchy heirarchy

sorry ;D

And acturally im drinking my 3rd or so mountain dew and eating popcorn ;D

Brother_Hood
2005-08-01, 05:33 PM
Love it! AND I did my part for the bills! Now if I could only get the book early!

*sigh* I don't live near Indy at t'all.

Sophistemon
2005-08-01, 07:00 PM
New strip is up, along with info on the NEW BOOK, available at GenCon. Just check the Home page.

Will these books eventually become available at bookstores? I can’t get to GenCon. Also, I would like to thank the Giant for going through the trouble to give his characters more back-story, whether or not I'll be able to find out what that back-story is.

Lucca_Majere
2005-08-01, 07:26 PM
Ooooh. I want the book. It sounds cool. o.o

Hehe. Elan is so silly. :P

Starbuck_II
2005-08-01, 10:06 PM
Evasion isn't level 1 ability so think maybe 3 Levels Monk or 2?

Hmm, Smite more than once so i'd say maybe 7 levels Paladin?

Level 3 Monk/Level 7 Paladin, seeing as everyone in the Order is at least level 9 or 10 I think.

I love the idea. a Samurai is a Monk/Paladin. I'd agree that fits.

Gary_Schaper
2005-08-01, 10:09 PM
Roy has to be so in love after today's strip. Will their shared exasperation with Elan and Belkar be the tie that binds these lovebirds together? Only time will tell!

Particle_Man
2005-08-01, 10:11 PM
At least Monk 2 and Paladin 5, but probably higher since she definitely kicked Roy's ass, mano mano. Dex at least 15 for the TWF feat.

But I don't know about chr 18. She is pretty darn snippy.

Arian
2005-08-01, 11:27 PM
Incidentally, how do you order one when you don't have a credit card?

Buy an international money order from your nearest Australia Post outlet, and post it to the address that's supplied when you submit your order.

Brother_Hood
2005-08-02, 12:24 AM
I love the idea. a Samurai is a Monk/Paladin. I'd agree that fits.

I like that idea as well.

Nightmarenny
2005-08-02, 12:39 AM
More importantly this is like the only eaple through the comic of a charecters class being choosen for story not strength in some way. She took several levels of monk but as she use's weapons they are of little use(only evasion and stunning fist).

Kish
2005-08-02, 01:05 AM
And those great monk saving throws. Really, two or three levels of any one class don't generally give much more than that. Thog took two levels of fighter for two bonus feats, after all.

Sundog
2005-08-02, 01:54 AM
Though you do need to be careful about level balancing, unless you're using your preferred class or are human.

Oh, and thanks for that, Arian.

NEO|Phyte
2005-08-02, 02:53 AM
I demand more information about the Mean Old Cranky-Pants prestige class.

Viscount_Grey
2005-08-02, 06:50 AM
Just so that you can take some levels in that class?

I know someone who was born maxed out in that class though....

great news about the second book.... I think once it comes around that the first book is available to order again (october I believe) and the second book is also available to order, I may have to order them both at once. alright. I WILL have to order them both at once. If only to see the continued shrinkage of Belkar's weapons, and the continued growth of Elan's.... elan-inity!

Particle_Man
2005-08-02, 08:40 AM
Actually, that brings up an interesting point. Would Origin of the PC's use 3.0 rules? If we go back to their youth, do they then use 2nd ed AD&D rules? And their parents (including that scene with Roy's dad forced to observed his master's death at the hands of a lich) would use 1st ed AD&D rules?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Silverblaze
2005-08-02, 09:53 AM
Actually, that brings up an interesting point. Would Origin of the PC's use 3.0 rules? If we go back to their youth, do they then use 2nd ed AD&D rules? And their parents (including that scene with Roy's dad forced to observed his master's death at the hands of a lich) would use 1st ed AD&D rules?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Didn't Haley at one point state that her father was a 1st edition thief? http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=8 ;)

Runolfr
2005-08-02, 11:53 AM
Evasion isn't level 1 ability so think maybe 3 Levels Monk or 2?

Hmm, Smite more than once so i'd say maybe 7 levels Paladin?

Level 3 Monk/Level 7 Paladin, seeing as everyone in the Order is at least level 9 or 10 I think.

Vaarsuvius can cast Disintegrate, which makes him at least level 11. He can cast it twice in one day, which means either his Ring of Wizardry affects 6th level spells or he's at least level 12. The rest of the Order is probably similar in level if not higher (since wizards sometimes burn XP making scrolls and the like).

A monk gets Evasion at level 2 and Still Mind (which would help shake off charms and suggestions) at level 3. Miko has a paladin's mount, which means she has at least 5 paladin levels. We don't otherwise know enough to guess her abilities.

sktarq
2005-08-02, 08:45 PM
This may have already been noted but it appears that only Miko is ridding bareback....only belkar does that amoungst the OotS

Ni
2005-08-02, 10:13 PM
Brilliant!!

I have to get that other book now...

Pvednes
2005-08-03, 01:12 AM
As usual, there's the little details...Horsey shows her irritation when Elan pisses her off. :D

Lilly
2005-08-03, 01:26 AM
The Fairy Modmother:AHEM! I'd really like it if you took the discussion of Miko's class features/levels/feat progression/other rules based discussion off of the monthly comics thread.

Platinum_Mongoose
2005-08-03, 01:38 AM
This trip is going to get interesting.

btw, Lilly, I'm digging the very shiny portrait. No power in the 'verse can stop Joss!

The Giant
2005-08-03, 04:28 AM
New strip is up.

Fale
2005-08-03, 04:28 AM
What are those creatures?

Nightmarenny
2005-08-03, 04:29 AM
lol

mossfoot
2005-08-03, 04:33 AM
What are those creatures?

What, you mean the Displacer Beasts? the classic "Squid duct taped to the back of a Puma" monster? Who doesn't know them? ;)

Sc00by
2005-08-03, 04:37 AM
Hey I think that those displacer beasts just got VERY lucky...

Nice to see the GM thinking of his random encounters ;)

Nameless
2005-08-03, 04:38 AM
"We're a random encounter!"

LOL!! ;D

Porter
2005-08-03, 04:40 AM
Wait, you mean "I keep wanting to eat my own displaced image" did not tip you off as to the kind of monster???

lol, great strip again Giant.

Fale
2005-08-03, 04:42 AM
What, you mean the Displacer Beasts? the classic "Squid duct taped to the back of a Puma" monster? Who doesn't know them? ;)

OK. I don't play DND as much as I would like. Most of my games are set in a dungeon hacking at orcs, undead and kobolds.

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 04:52 AM
Wait a minute - did the Random Encounter just have a Random Encounter ??? ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-08-03, 04:55 AM
It seems so. This futhers my theory that(Hey Nny Pudding).....I shall tell you my theory after pudding.

P.S.50 GP to the person that knows where I got that ;D

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 05:00 AM
It seems so. This futhers my theory that(Hey Nny Pudding).....I shall tell you my theory after pudding.

P.S.50 GP to the person that knows where I got that ;D

Are we talking about Andromeda?! ;) Old Monty Pyton scetch ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-08-03, 05:01 AM
nope its another web comic. :)

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 05:06 AM
Damn - good scetch tough *GG* Invading aliens shaped like pudding are driven off the planet by people armed with spoons trying to eat them *GG*

Nightmarenny
2005-08-03, 05:08 AM
They never stood a chance ;D

Aeek
2005-08-03, 05:22 AM
Those monster's luck has changed. Noone used them for a landing cushion.

Nightmarenny
2005-08-03, 05:23 AM
But they are about to become lunch for those Displacers. :'(

pendejochy
2005-08-03, 05:27 AM
You know, the excat same thing happned to one of my charactor once.

Order of the stick:

A couple of weired tectecle monsters asks some displacer beasts for directions.

My situation:

A healer asks some beserker canibals for directions.

Poor monsters, I feel your pain. ;D

RJK
2005-08-03, 05:28 AM
Funniest one in awhile :)

RebelRogue
2005-08-03, 05:28 AM
Damn - good scetch tough *GG* Invading aliens shaped like pudding are driven off the planet by people armed with spoons trying to eat them *GG*

"But how are you going to get two million kilts to Andromeda?"

"I'll have to run twice!"

Or something like that :)

Anyway, I love the new strip, especially because I've got a longtime habit for using displacer beasts as random encounters (occasionally throwing in a pack lord) ;D

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 05:30 AM
What are those overgrown jellyfish/tentacle monsters anyway ???

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 05:32 AM
"But how are you going to get two million kilts to Andromeda?"

"I'll have to run twice!"

Or something like that :)

That's right Angus Podgorny *GG*

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 05:47 AM
Good thing for the displacers that the combined spotchecks of TOoTS aren't that impressive *GG* Seems neither Miko nor Horsey were up to the task either *G* Good for Dave & Joe - Bad for Jellypuddings *GG*

ScreamerSimon
2005-08-03, 06:05 AM
Incredible!!
Still people keep coming into my office to see why I am laughing like that. Hilarious!!!

P.S.: I can already imagine some very passionate discussions on flumph-displacer-interspecies-fighting in the Gaming forum.

Ilanin
2005-08-03, 06:08 AM
Even if Miko did spot them, it isn't very Lawful Good and Paladin-like of her to go randomly attacking things that aren't bothering her or impeding her journey. Nor is it fulfilling her duty to Lord Shojo to delay her mission to attack anything just off her path.

Also, the joke doesn't really work if they get spotted. Everway has a concept called "the law of drama", in which it is actually part of the rules that the rules can be ignored if the plot dictates something different. I like this rule. I believe the Giant has adopted it.

Baatezu
2005-08-03, 06:16 AM
What are those overgrown jellyfish/tentacle monsters anyway ???

those are flumphs.
if you remember they were in the dungeon in a room filled with monsters that weren't updated to 3rd edition.

Silverblaze
2005-08-03, 06:27 AM
those are flumphs.
if you remember they were in the dungeon in a room filled with monsters that weren't updated to 3rd edition.

I remember them - they suffered greatly from the Vin Diesel effect, if memory serves me right. I just haven't got the foggiest as to what a flumph is. Hmmm - Something to look up, I guess :)

And thus they are looked up - And they are Lawful Good I see :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flumph

Kaerou
2005-08-03, 06:37 AM
Haha, aww, they're so cute with the arm motions and everything! ^^

Pvednes
2005-08-03, 07:08 AM
Teehee, squid for dinner!

Eslington
2005-08-03, 07:50 AM
those are flumphs.

Just to mention, after that room appeared in the comic, an issue of Dungeon was posted containing an adventure called "Box of Flumph" where the 3.5 stats are presented and the loveable flying tentacled saucers make a reappearance.

Viscount_Grey
2005-08-03, 08:28 AM
Those poor flumphs. They've been landed on by two amorous dwarves, roy and elan (just when they thought they were safe).... but to get eaten by the almost as laughably ridiculous looking displacer-beasts is the last straw. *Wonders what quirk of fate will save the flumphs for an amusing squishing later*

Wanderer
2005-08-03, 09:10 AM
So... that's what stick figure Displacer Beasts look like. Those critters are one of my favorite monsters.

As for hiding, I seem to recall that Displacers are hard to spot. If so, they could possibly have survived just by standing still. ;D

Umael
2005-08-03, 09:16 AM
Giant actually made me feel sorry for the poor displacer beasts. I mean, they were just hungry.

But then Giant so kindly provided flumph dinner. Good Giant.

sniffles
2005-08-03, 10:39 AM
It never fails. I can always count on Rich to make me laugh out loud (or at least emit a stifled laugh, as I'm usually reading at work). How does he do it? I read other webcomics and the comics in Dragon, and while I enjoy them they never manage to be as consistently funny as OotS. Well done, Rich!! If they gave an award for webcomics you'd win, hands down.
;D

Chaosmage
2005-08-03, 10:49 AM
Best displacer beasts ever! ;D

Hmm....does this mean they won't get any random encounters? Or does this one not count as the one random encounter per trip

Sundog
2005-08-03, 11:44 AM
Well, this tells us that even minor characters in OOtSworld understand the rules of their existence. Or, at least, what a Random Encounter is, and what happens to them!

Kaerou
2005-08-03, 11:55 AM
i just love the way he did the displacement.. its awesomes.

please dont let the flumphs win! Those displacers are just so cool.... and cute... i want one!

i'll call him kitteh kitteh!

Omega_Mage_Zero
2005-08-03, 12:08 PM
Best displacer beasts ever! ;D

Hmm....does this mean they won't get any random encounters? Or does this one not count as the one random encounter per trip

I was wondering that myself. But seeing as they're traveling to a city nearly 80 strips distant, maybe V's equation breaks down.

Lilly
2005-08-03, 12:14 PM
Awww the displacer beasts are so cute! I want one.

But anyways, they are the PCs! They can have the problem free red-line-across-the-globe method of travel. Also are you so quick to forget the Temporal manipulation abilities (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155) that some members possess.

Frojoe21
2005-08-03, 12:18 PM
Froget? Froget???

Great comic, and the return of the flumphs can only mean that good things are coming.

silvadel
2005-08-03, 12:51 PM
Breeding displacer beasts in captivity sounds like a hard task....

Qwernt
2005-08-03, 01:31 PM
But I want to know what Roy just told Miko...

He looks pretty happy while she looks a bit shocked.

Then again, it could just be frame 4 from yesterday(zoomed out)...

Beamup
2005-08-03, 01:40 PM
He looks pretty happy while she looks a bit shocked.
Looks more like she's talking to me.

themunck
2005-08-03, 02:06 PM
i cheacked the hypertext, but i coulden't find the stats for the displaser beast :(...can anyone help me?

Beamup
2005-08-03, 02:19 PM
i cheacked the hypertext, but i coulden't find the stats for the displaser beast :(...can anyone help me?
They aren't in the SRD because they aren't OGL content. Only place you'll find them is in the Monster Manual - just like Beholders or Mind Flayers.

themunck
2005-08-03, 02:30 PM
ah, finely a reason for me to buy it, thanks ;D

Particle_Man
2005-08-03, 03:12 PM
Crap. Does that mean that the lawyers will take the displacer beasts away?

Frojoe21
2005-08-03, 03:16 PM
Its a legitamate work of parody, and besides, its funny. And dont you remember? The lawers were taken away by the bandits.

bingo_bob
2005-08-03, 03:48 PM
What? When did that happen? Well, anyways, those displacer beasts are awesome! I just KNOW that from now on, I'm going to envision all displacer beasts like that, and not on purpose either...

whmice
2005-08-03, 04:00 PM
displacer beasts? the look like dogs with heavy golem hands!
yet they are funny and heavily dnd malfunctioned
lol i must say im starting to forget about xyclone (i already forgot how to spell his name)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-03, 04:44 PM
That's brilliant. I love today's, great job Mr. Giant

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-08-03, 05:53 PM
I see Roy is still working it even on a day off. Doesn't he realize he won't get any Paladin lovin'? ::)

Starbuck_II
2005-08-03, 07:50 PM
Even if Miko did spot them, it isn't very Lawful Good and Paladin-like of her to go randomly attacking things that aren't bothering her or impeding her journey. Nor is it fulfilling her duty to Lord Shojo to delay her mission to attack anything just off her path.

Also, the joke doesn't really work if they get spotted. Everway has a concept called "the law of drama", in which it is actually part of the rules that the rules can be ignored if the plot dictates something different. I like this rule. I believe the Giant has adopted it.

No, see the Displacer beasts wer egoing to attack Miko and the Order. They were doing this for food. They were after the horses mostly, but will kill the humans to stop resistance to them eating.

Anyone is allowed to defend themselves: thus Miko can slay the displacer beasts.

Nightmarenny
2005-08-04, 12:13 AM
You are talking about two different things. He is talking about if the displacer Beasts had been spoted while hiding if Miko would kil them. You are talking about if they had tried an attack.

phlip
2005-08-04, 12:34 AM
But they weren't trying to attack, they were trying to hide as the adventurers passed. If Miko saw them trying to hide, and not posing a current threat, she'd have no reason to attack them.

Kish
2005-08-04, 01:03 AM
Since flumphs are lawful good, however, she could certainly have attacked the displacer beasts to defend them.

:P

Odhreg
2005-08-04, 02:45 AM
I love how the Displacer Beasts are gesturing with their tentacles... I had always imagined them just waving them menacingly. It adds a real neat touch.

abadguy
2005-08-04, 05:33 AM
Those displacer beasts look nice and well-fed to me compared to the skinny Ethopian ones in the MM. ;)

Silverblaze
2005-08-04, 05:45 AM
On whether Miko would indeed attack them or not; wouldn't that depend on alignment?

I mean, she clearly stated that since the dragon wasn't shiny, then it was perfectly fine and even necessary to destroy it - And yes, Belkar, V did it by hir self; quit complaining ;D.

Are displacer beasts neutral (animal) or evil (monster) ??? I don't remember, and the problem with them is really that they are not colour coordinated for our convenience ;)

The Glyphstone
2005-08-04, 06:18 AM
I actually looked it up. Displacer Beasts are intelligent, and Always Lawful Evil by the MM. Thus, fair game for pally practice.

Silverblaze
2005-08-04, 06:29 AM
Ok - case closed on that account then - Fair game for the fair Samurai (Title, not class! ;) ) But it would still be easier if all monsters were colour coordinated ;D Hmmm... Displacer Beasts are black - does that count ??? - But then again, so is our main man Roy and PC being PC with pun intended... ;D

Panda
2005-08-04, 08:17 AM
Let me be the first to say that the new episode is the best one I have seen in months.

IT'S AWESOME!

Viscount_Grey
2005-08-04, 01:07 PM
What about it in particular?

I myself was slightly disappointed that we weren't treated to yet more amusing ways for the displacer beasts to end up as greasy spots on the landscape - we might even have seen the "Warrior Dog" being useful!

Redemption in the form of the Flumphs however.... those poor guys!

Crolack
2005-08-04, 03:22 PM
So I wonder when OOTS reaches there destination without the random encounter if they'll notice something 'wrong'

Adghar
2005-08-04, 03:46 PM
Redemption in the form of the Flumphs however.... those poor guys!

Oh come on, Flumphs are made to be squished. Besides, they get regular visits to the White Mage clinic.

Oh wait, this is D&D. CRAP! Those poor guys!

mossfoot
2005-08-04, 09:23 PM
I have to admit, while I like the running gag with the Flumps, I really have no idea what they are. Unlike Displacer Beasts, I've never seen or heard of one before Order of the Stick :P

(oooh, new Avey! Thanks Soulknife! ;) )

Ilaun_Undil
2005-08-05, 09:47 AM
I believe Flumphs are from AD&D or second edition. Anyway, They are a good addition.

apathy
2005-08-05, 10:53 AM
Query: Is this over analyzation of the strip typical? I'm new to the forums and don't spend gads of time here perusing old posts. So just a yes or no will do. Thanks ;)

Oh, I really enjoyed this particular strip. I laughed my @$$ off!

The Glyphstone
2005-08-05, 11:05 AM
Oh, this is perfectly normal. In fact, it's rather mild compared to some of the stuff we've argued about - look for a couple of old threads, like the one debating Vaarsuvius's gender, the thread where Miko's class was discussed, and the older thread actually dedicated to over-analysis of the comic.

Grey Watcher
2005-08-05, 11:14 AM
I believe Flumphs are from AD&D or second edition. Anyway, They are a good addition.

Nope. Flumphs go all the way back to First Edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flumph

Jevanyn
2005-08-05, 11:34 AM
This episode also answers the question: where to all the easy encounters go when you're higher level? The monsters are smart enough to avoid you. ;)

Techonce
2005-08-05, 12:52 PM

Actually Flumpfs have been 3.5'd. THey appeared in a recent Dungeon Magazine.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-08-05, 12:59 PM
Query: Is this over analyzation of the strip typical? I'm new to the forums and don't spend gads of time here perusing old posts. So just a yes or no will do. Thanks ;)

Oh, I really enjoyed this particular strip. I laughed my @$$ off!

Answer: Yes, the meatbags on this forum dedicate their time to the over analysis of the comic.

Greebo
2005-08-05, 01:48 PM
/vent-on

*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*

I hate fridays...

/vent-off

Darkspear
2005-08-05, 02:42 PM
/vent-on

*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*

I hate fridays...

/vent-off

I think the Giant works on them in the mornings now since he's changed the rules on us mid-game.

The Giant
2005-08-05, 03:25 PM
I work on them when I am able; today, I've been back at the doctor's all day (follow-up from hospital trip), so I'm just starting it now.

Greebo
2005-08-05, 03:26 PM
Hope the doc's visit went well, Giant.

And thanks for the update...

*click* *refresh* *swear*

Yeah, I know, I know, but I can HOPE. :)

Viashino_wizard
2005-08-05, 03:39 PM
Where's today's comic?

Mirromax
2005-08-05, 03:49 PM
i'm starting to think that fridays are a bad day for expecting the comic to be done around the time it normally is.

normally i'd want to talk to your manager about your performance giant, but you seem like a nice enough guy, so i'll let it slide this time.... but if it happens again, i'm gonna get you fired... LOL (i wouldn't do that, i'd never be able to leave the house, what with the angry mobs and all)

Ravenlord
2005-08-05, 03:51 PM
Hope all is well there, health-wise. :)

Nighthawk4
2005-08-05, 03:54 PM
I work on them when I am able; today, I've been back at the doctor's all day (follow-up from hospital trip), so I'm just starting it now.

Poor Giant. :(

If it is anything like in the UK, that means hours waiting in the Waiting Room (appropriately enough), even if you had an appointment and arrived in plenty of time for it, followed by a few seconds being seen by the Doctor - who is probably only a junior Houseman anyway, not the Consultant or even the Registrar (Consultant's Senior Assistant).

You have my sympathy - been there many times. Hope all goes well for you. ;)

Viashino_wizard
2005-08-05, 03:55 PM
Great. What'd he break now?

Arturius
2005-08-05, 04:03 PM
You're not very perceptive, are you Viashino? He said it's a follow-up. Meaning the doc's making sure everything's okay

Ayrynthyn
2005-08-05, 04:10 PM
/vent-on

*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*
*click* *reload* *swear*

I hate fridays...

/vent-off

dude... priceless
8)

Brother_Hood
2005-08-05, 04:18 PM
*whew* Least it's not a muck up at my end.

mastroyo
2005-08-05, 04:23 PM
Why do you people always complain when the comic's late? Adaptive Expectations show us that it is likely to be late, so... read it later. Or, don't complain. It's not like someone's charging you 50 cents to read the comic (It is very plausible... and some comics do just that)

Ok, c'mon, let's annoy Rich until he quits or charge us for it, while we refresh the site for the late comic...

Techonce
2005-08-05, 04:26 PM
Poor Giant. :(

If it is anything like in the UK, that means hours waiting in the Waiting Room (appropriately enough), even if you had an appointment and arrived in plenty of time for it, followed by a few seconds being seen by the Doctor - who is probably only a junior Houseman anyway, not the Consultant or even the Registrar (Consultant's Senior Assistant).

You have my sympathy - been there many times. Hope all goes well for you. ;)

Based on what I have heard from my friend Kate, she says the hospitals are far better over here than in the UK (where she spent a fair portion of her life).

Here it seems to vary alot, but is normally not too horrible.

I'm going through comic withdrawals... I hope it is up soon. I will be away from the computer all weekend. Must get OotS fix...

Maelstrom
2005-08-05, 04:31 PM
<sigh>

What, do people sign up just to bit..er, complain about the comic being later than they want it...It's still quite on time.

Funny how tact is immediately forgone once the submit button is an option...

Hope the Checkup wnet well!

Crolack
2005-08-05, 06:26 PM
There is a simple solution. Check the comic every tuesday, thursday and saturday.

;D

apathy
2005-08-05, 06:34 PM
Have some patience. As a painter, I hate being rushed. I liked RAW's suggestion in another thread regarding the Giant's ER visit last week, "Go outside and play.". Works here, too.

Quality over quantity, any day.

Kulatu
2005-08-05, 06:39 PM
Man people have no patience. I suggest waiting until just before you go to bed to start refreshing as the comic will probably be up by that point. Is it really necessary to refresh every minute thus choking up the Giant's bandwidth and increasing his bill so that it gets harder and harder for him to justify writing?

Brardos
2005-08-05, 07:18 PM
I have been following your comic strip for some months now Rich and am very much entertained. I Say take it easy man and post it when you can... the wait makes it all that much sweeter :)

mossfoot
2005-08-05, 07:26 PM
There is a simple solution. Check the comic every tuesday, thursday and saturday.

;D

To accomplish this best, I suggest setting your watch and computer one day behind... of course, not showing up for work every Monday and going to work every Saturday only to find it closed might lead to other complications...

Zoena
2005-08-05, 08:29 PM

*phew* Glad you're ok, with it being so late in the day I was worried you were ill again. As long as you're fine we can all wait as long as it takes ^_^

kinder
2005-08-05, 09:42 PM
I too agree that there is no point to getting all riled up about the comics being posted on time. As long as I know its in the works I am a happy camper.

But don't forget people. For some OOTS is like the Super Crack of the blog/ online comic world. What can we do but try to ease their addiction pain?

smiles
;D

Marcyss
2005-08-05, 09:43 PM

Y'know, it's just not right to hound the artist... i mean, makes me think of how my dad was. My mom'd ask him, "When are you going to the store?" he'd say, "soon." then she'd ask him again, he'd then say, "eventually". Followed by her asking again, and he doesn't reply... and doesn't go until the next day... but if she asked again, it'd be put off further...

although
2005-08-05, 10:50 PM
Y'know, it's just not right to hound the artist... i mean, makes me think of how my dad was. My mom'd ask him, "When are you going to the store?" he'd say, "soon." then she'd ask him again, he'd then say, "eventually". Followed by her asking again, and he doesn't reply... and doesn't go until the next day... but if she asked again, it'd be put off further...

Well put, Marcyss.

Rich states his intentions to put out three comics per week, and damned near always puts out three impressively funny comics per week. We're not obligated to pay him a penny for some of the best entertainment out there. And still we get people whining over a delay of a few hours. (Although today's post are admittedly much less obnoxious than some we've seen in the past; for people who posted simply because they were worried about Rich's health, I'm not talking about you at all.)

Whenever I choose to do valuable work free of charge (which is quite often; I'm gullible that way) I have a stock answer for anyone who gets pissy about the time it takes: "Do you want the best job I can do, or the best job I can do in the next ten minutes?"

(And if they choose option #2, the inevitable follow-up is "Then I'm not interested in doing this for you anymore. Hire someone.")

Rich, you've got my sincere admiration for what you do. And remember that for every reader who whines, there are (I hope) dozens of others who understand that art takes time, or who at least have the good grace not to act like your generosity makes you their personal indentured servant.

And the displacer beasts were bloody funny, by the way.

The Giant
2005-08-05, 11:06 PM
OK, so it's finally up. I ended up revising it several times, since it is (as Roy points out) the start of a new subplot. Also, there was dinner and, let's be honest, a medication-induced nap.

Pvednes
2005-08-05, 11:09 PM
Teehee, Belkar's totally pushing it.

Lucca_Majere
2005-08-05, 11:22 PM
Oh that was classic XD. Heehee. Thanks for giving us another great comic, Giant! I hear you about medication-induced naps...even cold medicine makes me drowsy. x.x

Midnight Son
2005-08-05, 11:36 PM
That was effin hilarious.

Odds on how long it takes Belkar to give Miko an aneurysm?

Sundog
2005-08-05, 11:39 PM
A doctor friend once told me that cold medicine is designed to make you sleepy, so that you'll rest, which is the only thing that will actually make you better - I am not sure if he was joking or not...

Great strip. Though it confirms my opinion that Belkar is pretty stupid - while he doesn't share their moral position, you'd think he'd have realised how the others would react to his suggestion!

phlip
2005-08-05, 11:55 PM
"We sure are dirt poor" she says, while talking to the people who just got off a cart full of gold...

Love how Belkar took "wretched abominations" to mean the townsfolk...

Winged One
2005-08-06, 12:18 AM
;D

"YES! A plot hook! Um, I mean, look, an innocent civilian in dire need of our acistance!"

ShadowDragon8685
2005-08-06, 12:24 AM
I love Belkar's 'plan.'

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure he's just playing to Miko there. Not even Belkar is usually THAT psychopathic. He knows that townsfolk = services and gold for loot.

Piratesensei
2005-08-06, 12:31 AM
Well, he is Chaotic Evil! :)

mastroyo
2005-08-06, 01:39 AM
Well, so much for the CE discussion.
Anyway, what is up for discussion now is wheather Belkar has a 10 or 12 in Wisdom and Inteligence, combined... ;)

Edit: I wish these where Hobgoblins, the ones Xykon's running, so that Xykons plot is present when they reach, if they reach, Soon's kingdom...

Particle_Man
2005-08-06, 02:27 AM
True Confession: I DM'd "T1 - The Village of Hommlet" for an AD&D 1st ed. group some decades ago. The players treated it exactly like Belkar did. I felt like an enabler. :-[

Nerd-o-rama
2005-08-06, 02:58 AM
Meh, the Ogre chief, as they're getting ready to frag him, will likely complain about how "all the hobgoblins marching through forced us from our homes."

Spoon. That should probably go in the Sealed Predictions Thread. Oh well, whatever happens, happens.

I love how Rich always strings the strips together:

"Shouldn't we have had a random encounter by now?"

Nikolai_II
2005-08-06, 03:46 AM
I spot that the DM realized that they are ahead of the "wealth by level" guidelines after their bout of dragonslaying and is now preparing encounters and missions without/with less fiscal rewards.

"We sure are dirt poor" = No reward from us

"Ogre tribe looting" = Most of the treasure is eaten or broken by now - little or no loot here.

Baatezu
2005-08-06, 03:56 AM
Belkar's reply sure reminds me of 8-bit theatre (at least the one that rich drew)

and even though Belkar knows that a village means money & services, if he kills them all he can take all their money (no one to guard it) AND XP. and besides, she says they are poor, so no money in there

No, it's worse than that:

"We sure are dirt poor" + Paladin = "We're about to take on a band of ogres and pay for the privilege."

mossfoot
2005-08-06, 06:08 AM
No, it's worse than that:

"We sure are dirt poor" + Paladin = "We're about to take on a band of ogres and pay for the privilege."

Oh man... I think you hit the nail on the head there...

I can only imagine Haley's reaction :o

Of course after that comment does the Paladin even need to bother detecting evil? Or does she simply have to make sure? ;)

Paladin - Belkar, your friends are calling you.

Belkar - Huh? (looks behind him)

Paladin - DETECT EVIL!

Question, if she did detect him as evil, would she be obliged to kill him? Or if not obliged, would she be allowed to do so without penalty?

Hurrikaani
2005-08-06, 06:22 AM
Question, if she did detect him as evil, would she be obliged to kill him? Or if not obliged, would she be allowed to do so without penalty?

Well going to save those villagers with Belkar would be serious No No,as paladins are not suppose to work with people they Know are evil.

But she can't actually kill him before she catches him doing some evil thing and even then it depends on the evil done I think

As for penalties I would think killing an evil person without some sort of justification would mean she could fall from paladinhood,

Allthought I have read a some D&D books where a paladin first killed an evil henchman in fight and then killed another one who was unarmed and was only protecting a child that the paladin was after.

Piratesensei
2005-08-06, 06:22 AM
I think she'll detect him as evil long after he's proved himself as an ally, and decide to keep him alive. (or something like that)
EDIT: Also, Elan really shouldn't be hanging around this Miko, Bards lose their powers if they become lawful.

The Glyphstone
2005-08-06, 06:30 AM
Ex-bards (lawful) don't lose any of their ablities. They just can't level up any further in the bard class.

Piratesensei
2005-08-06, 06:35 AM
Well, still.... Elan wouldn't like THAT very much. And it's not easy to upset Elan.

Fairome
2005-08-06, 06:51 AM
Y'know, the sad part about all this is that my party in one of my games was sent to rescue a town from a chaos upwelling, and since we're all evil, we realized that we could just kill the annoying townsfolk after we were done.

We just got finished slaying this weird dragon at the center of the chaos, so we haven't killed the townsfolk yet, but we'll see.

To keep this more on topic, no, Elan isn't a problem unless Miko decides to prepare detect chaos one of these days. Non-lawful can mean neutral or chaotic, so the fact that he's a bard doesn't necessarily mean that Miko can't work with him.

As for Elan picking up lawfulness from Miko... he's been adventuring with Roy for months, and Greenhilt has a more convincing personality in his left pinkie than Miko does overall. Or just plain personality, for that matter.

Tarlonniel
2005-08-06, 07:42 AM
Why would Elan's chaoticity be a problem? Paladins aren't forbidden in any way from working with people at that end of the alignment spectrum.

Sebastian
2005-08-06, 07:46 AM
A doctor friend once told me that cold medicine is designed to make you sleepy, so that you'll rest, which is the only thing that will actually make you better - I am not sure if he was joking or not...

Here where I am there is a saying that roughly traslated could be "if you cure the cold it last seven days, if you don't cure it it last a week".
The best you can do is to alleviate the symptoms (and sleeping is a good way to do that) but there is not a real cure to the common cold.

"We are dirty poor" If think I can see what will happen of all that gold.

Sebastian
2005-08-06, 07:49 AM
I love Belkar's 'plan.'

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure he's just playing to Miko there. Not even Belkar is usually THAT psychopathic. He knows that townsfolk = services and gold for loot.
but this townfolks are dirty poor hence abominations ;)

Sebastian
2005-08-06, 07:53 AM
I spot that the DM realized that they are ahead of the "wealth by level" guidelines after their bout of dragonslaying and is now preparing encounters and missions without/with less fiscal rewards.

"Ogre tribe looting" = Most of the treasure is eaten or broken by now - little or no loot here.

Worse than that,The GM think they have WAAAY too much gold for their level and if you mix a Paladin as NPC and a village of poor people....

(note, I don't really count this as a prediction because, come on, it so obvious :) )

Ilaun_Undil
2005-08-06, 08:49 AM
hmmmm..... aI noticed that Rich dropped in the number 42. Strange how that number pops up.

Piratesensei
2005-08-06, 09:31 AM
hmmmm..... aI noticed that Rich dropped in the number 42. Strange how that number pops up.
Whaddya mean? It's the answer to the meaning of life.

Nykooo
2005-08-06, 09:52 AM
Am I the only one who think that poor old women look like a older Haley? Something like a mother or an aunt maybe! After all her father was held hostage if I remember correctly.

kerberos
2005-08-06, 10:01 AM
Am I the only one who think that poor old women look like a older Haley? Something like a mother or an aunt maybe! After all her father was held hostage if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I think so too, it could be a coincidence though, like that bandit some people though was Roy's brother.

Sebastian
2005-08-06, 10:49 AM

No matter how good the Giant is, there is only so much details you can do working with stick figures.

phlip
2005-08-06, 11:02 AM
Whaddya mean? It's the answer to the meaning of life.

*sigh* I get so sick of correcting people on this.

42 is not the meaning of life! It is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.
If the philosophers had asked the usual "What is the meaning of life?" they wouldn't be in the problem they got into, but they asked "What is the answer to the ultimate question of life?" which was taken too literally by the computer.
That's the joke.
When people say that 42 is the meaning of life they miss the point entirely.

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled conversation)

Lawful_Stupid
2005-08-06, 11:22 AM
Didn't the letter that Haley has regarding her dad being in prison state that she's the last relative of her father? (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=131)

Therefore, the old lady has no relation to Haley, minus the fact that she will soon be the new "Mommy" to all that gold.

Chaosmage
2005-08-06, 11:51 AM
Well I belive this answers my earlier question about random encounters. The displacer beasts did count as the one random encounter until they reached the side-quest.

Doug_Lampert
2005-08-06, 12:40 PM

My father once went about 20 years without carrying out the garbage because of an exchange like that. Good thing I live in the same town and they have a maid or they would have died under piles of trash, as is stuff went out twice a week.

Sundog
2005-08-06, 12:46 PM
Paladin - Belkar, your friends are calling you.

Belkar - Huh? (looks behind him)

Paladin - DETECT EVIL!

Won't work. Belkar doesn't have friends.

NEO|Phyte
2005-08-06, 01:26 PM
Won't work. Belkar doesn't have friends.

and he probably has a readied action to put up the lead

Starbuck_II
2005-08-06, 01:27 PM
Nah, I think Belkar's knives are his freind. That and his riding dog.

On that side note:
The Ultimate Question about life is how many people can you kill with one bullet.

Or is it how many people Belkar can kill in 1 minute. Oh well.

Hmm, think the Ogre are lead by Ogre Magi?

Elethiomel
2005-08-06, 07:56 PM
Worse than that,The GM think they have WAAAY too much gold for their level and if you mix a Paladin as NPC and a village of poor people....

(note, I don't really count this as a prediction because, come on, it so obvious :) )

If Miko takes of the Order's gold to give to the villagers she is committing theft. Paladins aren't supposed to do this - it would break the Paladin code and she would become a fallen paladin. Too bad for Miko!

silvadel
2005-08-06, 08:26 PM
Am I the only one who thought Belkar was kidding around there? Trying to yank Miko's chain...

And yes I see some coin loss to the poverty villiage in OOTS future..

Ilaun_Undil
2005-08-06, 09:41 PM
the coin loss will be mainly because of Miko. None of the other charachters are as strongly lawful good as her, except maybe Durkon. Poor porr Haley :(

phlip
2005-08-06, 11:45 PM
If Miko takes of the Order's gold to give to the villagers she is committing theft. Paladins aren't supposed to do this - it would break the Paladin code and she would become a fallen paladin. Too bad for Miko!

But she will do her utmost to guilt trip the OotS into doing it for her...

Lucca_Majere
2005-08-07, 12:06 AM
She'll have no problems guilt-tripping Roy into it. :P

Kish
2005-08-07, 12:49 AM
In a way, Roy is lucky. His desire to favorably impress Miko may lead to him doing a lot of things to offset whatever...degradation his alignment has suffered over the time the group has been together from things like wanting to beat the crap out of Elan.

Macharion
2005-08-07, 06:51 AM
I cracked up at the last panel on the newest one. Belkar is so damn funny.
How the hell did a psychotic runt like him get into the order of the stick anyway?
*buys OoTS: On the Origin of PCs*

Fairome
2005-08-07, 08:26 AM
That's easy... he's not a runt, he's a halfling. And everybody knows that halflings are usually insane.

Grey Watcher
2005-08-07, 10:46 AM
That's easy... he's not a runt, he's a halfling. And everybody knows that halflings are usually insane.

True, but they're usually the fun, affable sort of insane.

mossfoot
2005-08-07, 06:13 PM
True, but they're usually the fun, affable sort of insane.

You mean I'm the only one who finds him fun and affable? ??? ;D

Winged One
2005-08-07, 06:52 PM
But she will do her utmost to guilt trip the OotS into doing it for her...

Haley has an even better guilt trip up her sleave, though...

Scion_of_the_Light
2005-08-07, 07:35 PM
Well...that may be. I would love to see the Order's reaction then, when Haley gives them the info. on her dad (potentially). I wonder what Miko's reaction would be...or any of the other members.

And, of course, one has to wonder about the validity of the claims made by the Lord Tyrinar. I mean, the message sent to Haley said "...he might be willing to consider giving clemency to your father." That really dosn't sound that much of a promise. Imagine Haley's reaction when, upon giving up 200,000+ GP to Tyrinar, all the Lord does is laugh in her face.

Ilaun_Undil
2005-08-07, 10:24 PM
I believe The giant just threw that in there for laughs, but now that Haley deffinatly have at least very close to 200,000 gp. it might come into play, if not soon, the party is just going to kill him anyway, well at least Haley. The power of sneak attack. Anyway being only potentially a few hours from a new comic I'll sit nd wait.

Nikolai_II
2005-08-08, 09:12 AM
Yay! Forum is back and comic is up - and it is good ;D

Particle_Man
2005-08-08, 09:20 AM
Ok, Haley is Good, but that ambiguously gendered elf is Neutral with respect to Good and Evil. Check. :)

Heh, I love Miko's ignorance. In a way it reminds me of Elan. I wonder how much she suspects.

Eslington
2005-08-08, 09:22 AM
Panel 6 of #212 is probably the funniest thing I've seen all week.

It still makes me giggle when I think about it.

SirCrash
2005-08-08, 09:34 AM
Actually, I think Haley is quite aware of that possibility - she just needs the cost of entry to get *close* to the tyrant. :)

I believe The giant just threw that in there for laughs, but now that Haley deffinatly have at least very close to 200,000 gp. it might come into play, if not soon, the party is just going to kill him anyway, well at least Haley. The power of sneak attack. Anyway being only potentially a few hours from a new comic I'll sit nd wait.

AfroDwarf
2005-08-08, 09:58 AM
Poor Roy, just when he thinks it's going to be easy for once...

Xander77
2005-08-08, 09:58 AM
The Butch Cassidy etc reference kicked ass.

Miko is as LS as they come.

I'm starting to doubt V belonging to the Good side of the alignment spectrum.

OldFart
2005-08-08, 10:12 AM
"The proper term is 'Smite Evil,' not 'Bump Uglies.' " ;D
Hilarious!! Only a paladin could be that naive!

I can just see future Miko-isms

"The proper term is 'Stunning Kick,' not 'Knocking Boots.' "

"The proper term is 'Turn Undead,' not 'Bury the Bone.' "

"I've heard of chimeras, which have three heads - but what beast is this you speak of, that has two backs?"

Ilaun_Undil
2005-08-08, 10:14 AM
Well she is rather impacient. so not good, probably just Neutral. Haley however did surprise me a bit. She is deffinatly a complicated charachter, as pointed outby the letter. I'm thinking there is probably more of a reason for this behavior. She went off after Elan, because of a crush, probably not the same, but maybe her heart goes out to dirt farmers.

Grey Watcher
2005-08-08, 10:42 AM
Hey, ogres make a very satisfying thump when they hit the ground

Gotta love a Babylon 5 reference. Especially to one of my favorite episodes.

Aerysil1
2005-08-08, 10:47 AM
Kind of a twilight zone comic. Everyone is out of character from what past comics have suggested. Of course Haley and Belkar do seem to like jerking Miko around. Maybe it will clear up in a few strips.

Kasur
2005-08-08, 11:38 AM
Ha!
Great stuff.
Always in an adventure someone, anyone!, have any trouble with something.
What a nightmare is being the "party leader"

Aeek
2005-08-08, 11:38 AM
Kind of a twilight zone comic. Everyone is out of character from what past comics have suggested. Of course Haley and Belkar do seem to like jerking Miko around. Maybe it will clear up in a few strips.

and Elan didn't get the best line. Where is he anyway?

Growing Dirt!!!

Sundog
2005-08-08, 11:57 AM
{Sigh} A) this behaviour is not inconsistent with V being good. Being good doesn't mean you have to go around helping all and sundry, or even that you necessarily like people; all it means is a commitment to doing the right thing, even when it's not necessarily in your best interests to do so. A Good person could walk past this situation by saying it isn't their problem and still be good (a Paladin could not, but then they're held to a higher standard).

B) V is good according to the Unholy Blight test.

C) This is the V we all know and love... ;D

Starbuck_II
2005-08-08, 12:18 PM
{Sigh} A) this behaviour is not inconsistent with V being good. Being good doesn't mean you have to go around helping all and sundry, or even that you necessarily like people; all it means is a commitment to doing the right thing, even when it's not necessarily in your best interests to do so. A Good person could walk past this situation by saying it isn't their problem and still be good (a Paladin could not, but then they're held to a higher standard).

Yeah V is most likely Nuetral good. Nuetral cares about freinds and family only.
So yeah NG works.

MattB
2005-08-08, 12:38 PM

Indeed! I just want to than Rich for giving me the best laugh I can recall reading webcomics... for once I actually genuinely laughed out loud rather than my normal 'Heh' or s n i g g e r or wry grin of amusement.

Best. Line. Ever.

[edit: had to put spaces in s n i g g e r to get it past the over zealous 'racial epithet' censor...]

Eriol
2005-08-08, 12:50 PM
Hey, ogres make a very satisfying thump when they hit the ground
Gotta love a Babylon 5 reference. Especially to one of my favorite episodes.
Which episode, and who said it? I'm a fan too, and while it sounds familiar, I can't place it right now...

RedWizard
2005-08-08, 01:20 PM
To be as generous toward Miko as possible- it could be that the Southern lands use different colloquialisms... or, yeah, she could be naieve. ;)

Great strip today. I was actually much more surprised by Hailey than Belkar. Mr. deep-seated emotional problems is usually easy to talk into anything involving sharp metal going into fleshy bits.

As a note, Unholy Blight does hurt Neutral targets, and while it doesn't hurt quite as much, most Wizards don't have the HP total to shrug it off.

Omega_Mage_Zero
2005-08-08, 01:27 PM
"Oy, Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here." These peasants apparently live in a dirt, filth and muck based economy like the one in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Also, Haley had a pretty valid point about all their adventures based on Roy's goals and desires. But, in fairness to Roy, nobody seems to offer valid alternatives.

SteveMB
2005-08-08, 02:47 PM
Gotta love a Babylon 5 reference. Especially to one of my favorite episodes.Which episode, and who said it? I'm a fan too, and while it sounds familiar, I can't place it right now...
G'Kar, in "A Late Delivery From Avalon" (referring to some thugs encountered in DownBelow falling with "a very satisfying THUMP").

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-08-08, 02:57 PM
Funny stuff...

Be interesting to see if the Paladin ever catches on.

I wonder how many side-quests we'll see before they reach her boss.

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

Hyro
2005-08-08, 03:15 PM
I think it's funny how Miko is so oblivious to Roy's sexual desires.

Being raised my monks, I don't think she'll have any idea what sayings like "bump uglies" mean. Roy could go around screaming SEX SEX SEX! and she would be oblivious.

whmice
2005-08-08, 03:19 PM
hmm less funnier than usual, its about time we start seeing v i think i havent seen him in 5 strips! waiting to see whats going on there

matthew0028
2005-08-08, 03:34 PM
Yeah V is most likely Nuetral good. Nuetral cares about freinds and family only.
So yeah NG works.

Um... I think that's neutral in the good/evil sense, not in the law/chaos sense...

drothgery
2005-08-08, 03:50 PM

Bah. Miko knows exactly what Haley means. She just has no intention of admitting it.

Lilly
2005-08-08, 03:57 PM
"A one eyed snake would have no depth perception, and would be a very ineffective predator. So I don't understand how it could possibly be a threat."

Teeeheee! I liked this one, it was quite funny.

Vaya
2005-08-08, 04:07 PM
"Oy, Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here." These peasants apparently live in a dirt, filth and muck based economy like the one in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Also, Haley had a pretty valid point about all their adventures based on Roy's goals and desires. But, in fairness to Roy, nobody seems to offer valid alternatives.

Isn't it implied though that he hired them?

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=139

So they're being paid to hang around with him, and he seems to attract adventures.

Winged One
2005-08-08, 04:09 PM
Indeed! I just want to than Rich for giving me the best laugh I can recall reading webcomics... for once I actually genuinely laughed out loud rather than my normal 'Heh' or s n i g g e r or wry grin of amusement.

Best. Line. Ever.

[edit: had to put spaces in s n i g g e r to get it past the over zealous 'racial epithet' censor...]

It's spelled "snicker", anyway...

Particle_Man
2005-08-08, 04:21 PM
So yeah NG works.

Uh, no. That would be Neutral, Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Neutral. Lawful Good, Neutral Good, and Chaotic Good specifically care about *more* than "friends and family only".

Particle_Man
2005-08-08, 04:27 PM
As a note, Unholy Blight does hurt Neutral targets, and while it doesn't hurt quite as much, most Wizards don't have the HP total to shrug it off.

Hmmm...she was "overwhelmed by pure Evil" in strip 11, but I don't know whether or not that means she was sickened (good only) or merely damaged (neutral or good). I guess that V's alignment and gender are both up for grabs!
;D

Whamme
2005-08-08, 04:29 PM
Eek!

I think the right edge of the comic is being trimmed, since it doesn't have a black border. Anyone else havign this problem?

Eriol
2005-08-08, 04:58 PM
G'Kar, in "A Late Delivery From Avalon" (referring to some thugs encountered in DownBelow falling with "a very satisfying THUMP").
Now that you say which it was, it's easy to remember. When G'kar is getting drunk with "King Arthur" after the fight.

Thanks.

How many other B5 references are there in the comic's history? Obviously the Giant's name (it's even in the FAQ that's what it is), but any others I may have missed? I wouldn't mind him dropping a few more quotes here and there too. (I can just see Xykon saying "Death: been there, done that.")
;)

enigma
2005-08-08, 05:20 PM
How many other B5 references are there in the comic's history? Obviously the Giant's name (it's even in the FAQ that's what it is), but any others I may have missed? I wouldn't mind him dropping a few more quotes here and there too. (I can just see Xykon saying "Death: been there, done that.")
;)
I always thought Giant in the Playground was a reference to Ender's Game. Guess I forgot that part of the FAQ.

Enigma

Pyritefoolsgold
2005-08-08, 05:27 PM
My guess is that V is true neutral. He doesn't care about the law, He really doesn't care for the plight of the common dirt farmer, and seems to perpetually be in it for himself. V's goal is to unravel the secrets of the universe, and if he can make the world a better place while gaining the knowledge and resources to do so, then so be it.

The one thing that shows a good character is selfless motives. V always has a selfish motive. He fought Xykon for treasure, experience, and the chance to get a look at a powerful liches' spellbook and scrolls. (also there was a hint that Roy was paying the other adventurers, but that might not be the case.) He went after the starmetal because he thought it would make a good material component for magical items. He's going to the southern lands with Miko because he wants to find out more about the gate. V likes to make speeches about good, like the one he gave to the goblins near the beginning (comic #3?) but he rarely lives up to it. Even when he hurt Elan's feelings, his first instinct was to slap a spell on it and call it good. he didn't think about whether this was right, he just figured that it would fix the situation.

V is true neutral. He works for his own profit, and while he doesn't mind if it helps other people, he won't go out of his way.

Also, about Miko. Miko is a female paladin raised by monks in the "Southern lands" (obviously the location of oriental adventures) basically, she is like a nun with two swords and a warhorse. She doesn't usually keep company with people who would use such crude terms as "Bumping uglies." She is also not used to having suiters (or wannabe suiters) and so is oblivious to Roy's advances. (or at least pretending to be. Maybe she's just refusing to acknowledge them.)
And while a chaotic character's lack of respect for authority might annoy a paladin, as long as the chaotic character doesn't commit a crime, the paladin has no cause to attack them. And even if Belkar is evil, she cannot punish him for being a bad person. She has to know that he has done something first.

Also, she cannot associate with him if she finds out.

Character alignments:
Durkon: LG
Roy: LG
Miko: LG
Haley: CG
Elan: CG
Vaarsuvious: NN
Belkar: CE

And now you know!

Lhyviathan
2005-08-08, 05:39 PM
In response to the other people who were at a lost as to why Haley was so willing to help in this quest, I offer this theory:

- Haley's father was kidnapped.
- This woman's husband was kidnapped.
- Kidnapping seems to strike an emotional chord in Haley.
- Therefore, Haley is willing to help in this kidnapping case.

Oh yeah, first post and all that... ;D

Meagen
2005-08-08, 06:10 PM
"If you took everything you don't know about me and put it together, it would get a -16 size penalty to AC."

Kind of long-winded, but a great line. ^^

Zargon
2005-08-08, 06:13 PM
Hmm...
I think Roy is more of NG than LG - his thoughts about Elan sometimes are quite harsh.
I would say Belkar is CN and just messing around with Miko, but in an earlier comic, he was not stopped by the paralyze non-evil (or whatever that spell was). Could be magic resistance, or ...
I agree with the rest.

(edit: :-X sorry for posting this in the wrong thread!)

wolf_mage
2005-08-08, 06:22 PM
Hmm...
I think Roy is more of NG than LG - his thoughts about Elan sometimes are quite harsh.
So? You can dislike someone, insult them plenty, and still be LG.

enigma
2005-08-08, 07:18 PM
So? You can dislike someone, insult them plenty, and still be LG.
I don't see why not. Just because you're good doesn't mean you have to like everyone. There can be rude people that always do good.

Enigma

Kish
2005-08-08, 07:43 PM
There's also that Zargon suggested nasty thoughts make Roy Neutral Good instead of Lawful Good--as though being nasty is somehow less Lawful, not less Good.

(Er...I think this discussion should really move to a different thread, though. :P)

Midnight Son
2005-08-08, 08:56 PM
Okay. Somethings been bugging me ever since we discovered Zykon's overarching plotl... I mean villainous plan.

How come no one went after RedCloak for destroying Lirian's gate?

evileeyore
2005-08-08, 09:21 PM
Okay. Somethings been bugging me ever since we discovered Zykon's overarching plotl... I mean villainous plan.

Two questions can answer that.

1) Who says it was destroyed? We've a saying in my group, "Don't write off a villian till you see the body. And even then stab 'im in the eye to make sure". We have only Xykon's (and by extension RedCloak's) word, in passing, that the gate is destroyed.

2) If it was destroyed by fire, there may have been no way for the Gate Guardians to know. We know Elan activated the self-destruct rune, it probably broadcast a description of the activator to the Guardians.

3) Who says Redclaok and Xykon aren't being hunted?

Okay, so I came up with a third...

Philix
2005-08-08, 11:17 PM
Actually since we can assume Roy is good.

We know he is Lawful good because he sated that he is lawful in Strip no. 162 when he says: "Why bother trying to be lawful all the time?"

Therefore Roy is Lawful Good.

(Lopez got told.)

Seraph
2005-08-09, 02:50 AM

Lirian's gate was destroyed Indirectly by a forest fire that could be written off as natural, whereas Dorukan's gate was blown up by direct magic (Self Destruct Runes)

Silverblaze
2005-08-09, 09:21 AM
Hmmm... Can't seem to find the thread on Pantheon, but doesn't it seem that Durkon is refering to the Greek mythology in stead of Norse... http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=73 ???

Aerysil1
2005-08-09, 10:40 AM
DnD encompasses just about every pantheon out there. In the DnD world, The River Styx from Greek mythology is tightly integrated into the architecture of the evil planes. Off to the side, Thor happily exists as well in whatever plane he's in. If you've seen it in a pantheon, chances are the DnD world makes use of it.

Grey Watcher
2005-08-09, 12:02 PM
DnD encompasses just about every pantheon out there. In the DnD world, The River Styx from Greek mythology is tightly integrated into the architecture of the evil planes. Off to the side, Thor happily exists as well in whatever plane he's in. If you've seen it in a pantheon, chances are the DnD world makes use of it.

Well, European Pantheons, anyway. I've yet to see Ganesh or Vishnu make an appearence. But this is starting to drift into something that belongs in Gaming.

Anyway, I like Haley's little shpiel about "If you took all the things you don't know about me...." Classic gamer humor. ;D

GreyRat
2005-08-09, 12:51 PM
Lord 'a mercy, I had to go to the restroom to recover from the poor, undersocialized paladin's "smite evil" correction. And there's no way I could explain to my co-workers whenceforth came my mirth. ;D

I know the frustration of trying to convince fellow PCs to follow the dangling carrot. "Yes, of course you can go do something else if you want... But the plot is over here! Don't you want some plot? Nice, fresh plot, come and get it." ::)

MadLlama
2005-08-09, 01:08 PM
It's spelled "snicker", anyway...

hmmm
Main Entry: 1snig·ger
Pronunciation: 'sni-g&r
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): snig·gered; snig·ger·ing /-g(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: by alteration
: SNICKER
- snig·ger·er /-g&r-&r/ noun

Winged One
2005-08-09, 01:36 PM
I stand corrected. However, it would probably be advisable to spell it incorrectly in order to avoid the racial slur filter.

Also, I think V just hasn't been paying attention to the villager, so he/she doesn't know why they are staying there.

AfroDwarf
2005-08-09, 04:38 PM
Someone should start a pool on how many innuendoes will go right over Miko's head before they get so obvious that she actually understands one.

Sped55
2005-08-09, 05:57 PM
Quoth the Belkar: Too slow, sister!

I wonder how stupid a paladin can get. Really. Where do you think
Belkar carries that lead sheet around? ;D

Paladins may not do any unlawful, unhonorable, or bad deeds.
And for all she knows he is telling the truth so not to believe him is an unhonarable deed.

Kish
2005-08-09, 06:22 PM
Um, what? Not automatically believing people is dishonorable?

Adghar
2005-08-09, 06:43 PM
Yep. Innocent until proven guilty. By Paladin code.

mossfoot
2005-08-09, 07:05 PM
Smite Evil, huh? So that's what the kids are callin' it these days ;D

(Didn't know she was Catholic) ;)

Matuse
2005-08-09, 08:09 PM
Yep. Innocent until proven guilty. By Paladin code.

And people wonder why the term "Lawful Stupid" came into being...

Why would you expect a paladin to obey something like that? Where is the honor in always believing someone?

Please produce a link to this so-called code that requires such self-destructive behavior. The PHB says that Paladins must follow "A code". Other than that this code must conform to lawful and good principles, the exact details of this code are left entirely up to the player and DM.

Innocent Until Proven guilty is also completely incorrect. Paladins are the sharp end of the sword of good. They exist to destroy evil, to seek it out where it hides and put it to the torch. A sword in its scabbard isn't doing anyone any good, nor is a Paladin who is handcuffed by these bizarre restrictions.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-08-09, 09:58 PM
She doesn't assume he is Evil for two reasons:

1. It's a comic, and it's funny.
2. She's probably rather cautious with her accusations in general, and particularly so after she nearly fragged Roy. So she might personally decide to wait for proof of his actual evilness...after all, he could just be CN and screwing with her.

Nykooo
2005-08-09, 10:29 PM
You still have to love the way the party is messing up with Roy on this one. Roy wants the chick. Durkon knows they have to follow otherwise hey may lost the favour of his God. Haley need to save all the money she can help saving to free her father. V wants to discover the truth about these gate. Belkar is after revenge on the paladin and personnal glory to hang around her as long as he can without her detecting him.

There you have it... Oh wait, Elan is actually guilty of destroying that gate and absolutely clueless about why they follow the paladin. Elan's following his friends no matter what if you ask me.