PDA

View Full Version : Yearly observations

BURNhollywoodBURN
2007-12-24, 01:08 PM
I've noticed something within the years. I forget 2004, but I noted that 2005 went by extremely fast. Seriously, I can't remember any time between when the ball dropped in 2005 and in 2006. I do remember, however, that 2006 went extremely slow. It scared me to think about how the year I left 4th grade was the same as when I entered 5th. I considered 2005 a Porsche driving 2 miles downhill on a greased road, and 2006 a snail going 5,000 miles uphill on an oiled road with a rest stop every 2 inches. Finally, 2006 was over. Then came 2007. 2007, in my opinion, went very fast. Not as fast as I can remember 2005, but that might just have been because that happened a while ago. Now that we are soon to be entering 2008, I ask you:
According to this pattern, will 2008 be as slow as possible?
You answer!

hyperfreak497
2007-12-24, 01:14 PM
If the pattern continues, yes. But I ask you: did more significant things happen to you in '05 or '06?

Haruki-kun
2007-12-24, 01:19 PM
My year went by extremely fast. It's almost sad to see it end so soon....... I do hope the next one is slower. Just a little.......

Mordokai
2007-12-24, 01:19 PM
For me, last eight, count them, EIGHT, years have been almost a blur. Ever since I finished elementary school time seems to jsut fly by, and there's no way of stoping it. Just yesterday I was playing in a mud behind our house, and tommorow I'll be graduating.

Damn,where DID the time go?

ForzaFiori
2007-12-24, 01:25 PM
for me, 2007, 2006, and the end of 2005 went fast, but the start of 2005 and 2004 were really slow. that has more to do with what was going on in my life though, as during the slow years i was at a school i hated, and stuff just wasn't going good, but during the fast years its all picked up.

i guess time really does fly when you have fun.

Dragonrider
2007-12-24, 02:06 PM
I think things started moving faster for me in about... '05. Before that I was younger. :smalltongue: (DUH)

hyperfreak497
2007-12-24, 02:17 PM
I think to myself that time went by quickly, but, looking back, so many things happened. I got my first real girlfriend, performed in two different plays, started writing the book that I've been creating in my head my whole life, made more friends than I can even begin to remember, came to Giant itP...I could go on and on. Thinking about it in this nostalgic sense, it doesn't seem to have gone by fast so much as simply gone by.

Reinboom
2007-12-24, 02:23 PM
Mine is random, and it depends on how much I do.
2007 went extremely slow... However, it was a combination of discovering the playground, gencon, moving across country 2,000 miles, moving across country -again- 2,000 miles, sudden school problems and moving again, and now - I just moved again about 600 miles, gathering a collection of old games, many finished projects, unrevealing things, and a lot more...
2006 went slow, except the beginning of it.
2005 went extremely fast - I was asleep during most of it due to personal issues.
etc.

It really depends on how much I do.

Em Blackleaf
2007-12-24, 03:08 PM
For me, last eight, count them, EIGHT, years have been almost a blur. Ever since I finished elementary school time seems to jsut fly by, and there's no way of stoping it. Just yesterday I was playing in a mud behind our house, and tommorow I'll be graduating.

Damn,where DID the time go?

I feel the same way. I think it's the multiple classes you get after elementary school that make everyday seem to go by faster. At least that's what I think is happening to me.
It feels like just yesterday I was playing at recess.

Mordokai
2007-12-24, 03:28 PM
You maybe right Em. I don't know about your schooling system(I think you're american, and I'm european, so there's bound to be some difference), but t does get more intensive after you finish elementary school. Not that this is bad, but it takes more of your time, and that could be reason for time going by as fast as it does.

I'd like to say that time going fast is not a bad thing to me. It is actually quite good; less chance of getting bored that way. But there are times when I wish it would slow down, just a little.

Em Blackleaf
2007-12-24, 03:37 PM
You maybe right Em. I don't know about your schooling system(I think you're american, and I'm european, so there's bound to be some difference), but t does get more intensive after you finish elementary school. Not that this is bad, but it takes more of your time, and that could be reason for time going by as fast as it does.
Yes, that happened with me. I got more homework, harder homework, and more friends. That takes up my time quite a bit. Then, in summer, I found Giant itP, which also takes up my time. :smalltongue:

I'd like to say that time going fast is not a bad thing to me. It is actually quite good; less chance of getting bored that way. But there are times when I wish it would slow down, just a little.
It's not bad for me, either. Except the homework part, that's bad. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2007-12-24, 03:59 PM
This year went flying past.

Although that might be because I came to Giantitp properly in January '07. :smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2007-12-24, 06:15 PM
I've been too damn busy moving offices, learning conveyencing and fighting off swarming hordes of Land Registry requisition deadlines to keep track of where the days go. Thankfully I'll be asleep over the next week, so at least I know where that particular week will have gone.

"Wake me in 2008!" :smallamused:

Extra_Crispy
2007-12-25, 06:32 AM
For me it is less of a yearly thing then a monthly thing. Years dont really pass faster or slower than others. (though it just seems like yesterday that I was in high school and now I am 33 :smalleek: ) More it seems like some months are very very slow and others just fly by. December is flying by as I am transfering departments in my job, finally becomming an RN, my birthday was the 20th, I have to start paying back lots of bills (darn student loans) so all the excitement and stress just seems to make the time fly way too fast.

Ceska
2007-12-25, 07:16 AM
I don't tend to remember years very much, and if I do I remember them in school years. The last grade, from September '06 to June '07 went very slow, the holidays went really fast (but they always do, they're just too short. :smalltongue: ), the part from September to now went pretty fast, with a few slower bits. But some weeks seemed like they had gone without me noticing, especially in November.

Winterwind
2007-12-25, 07:25 AM
Time seems to go by slower or faster depending on how many things happen to you. The last few years at university, for instance, seemed twice as long as the years at school before that to me.

I once heard somewhere that the first 20 years of one's life appear subjectively to last just as long as the whole rest of one's life. So far, concerning the few years above 20 I already have had the pleasure to see, I absolutely can't confirm that, if anything, they were longer than the ones before.

I suppose it depends a lot on how much you fall into a routine, and how much time you spend doing and seeing new things.

The Bunny
2007-12-26, 05:22 AM
Ever since I got out of teenager-hood, the years have been FLYING by.
When certain events are mentioned among friends I wonder how the heck it happened 2 years ago when it seemed maybe a month or two ago.
It's crazyness.

Gitman00
2007-12-26, 08:45 AM
For me, each year goes by faster than the last. I remember in elementary school, when summer seemed to last FOREVER. Now, I have a hard time getting all my hot-weather activities in while it's still hot!

What really gets me, though, is music. I grew up on grunge rock. So I hear people referring to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a classic, and I think, "You're crazy! Classic? That song only came out... :smalleek: uh... sixteen years ago."

Argent
2007-12-26, 12:08 PM
For me, each year goes by faster than the last. I remember in elementary school, when summer seemed to last FOREVER. Now, I have a hard time getting all my hot-weather activities in while it's still hot!

What really gets me, though, is music. I grew up on grunge rock. So I hear people referring to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a classic, and I think, "You're crazy! Classic? That song only came out... :smalleek: uh... sixteen years ago."

No doubt. When I start hearing bands like Poison and Def Leppard getting played on 'oldies' stations... yeah, just a little disconcerting.