PDA

View Full Version : Orange Ioun Stone?

throtecutter
2007-12-24, 01:19 PM
I was designing a 20th level character for a campaign yesterday, and was saddened by the fact that I was 1 level short of 9th level spells.
My friend then told me that if I bought an Orange Ioun Stone, it would give me the 1 caster level I needed to be able to cast superior invisibility. I always thought it just improved things like making summons last longer and making your spells harder to dispel.
What will an Orange Ioun stone do?

cupkeyk
2007-12-24, 01:23 PM
It won't get you a caster level or a spell slot, it will just adjust your effective caster level as one level higher for determining the effects of spells you can already cast.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-12-24, 01:24 PM
You are right, your friend is wrong.

graymachine
2007-12-24, 01:28 PM
According to the SRD an orange Ioun Stone gives you +1 caster level. This doesn't mean that you gain spells as though you were one level higher; it means that all of your spellcasting functions that reference caster level are 1 higher, such as penetrating SR, or level dependent variables of a number of spells.

Saph
2007-12-24, 01:37 PM
You are right, your friend is wrong.

Yup.

I might have some good news for you, though; assuming you're using the version of Superior Invisibility from the Spell Compendium, it's only an 8th-level spell, not a 9th-level one. Have fun!

- Saph