PDA

View Full Version : Some Feats for Fighters

TheLogman
2007-12-26, 06:02 PM
Drain Punch

Prerequisites: BaB +7
Benefit: Once every 5 rounds, after declaring an attack, but before rolling to see if the attack hits, you may make that attack a "Draining" attack. A Draining Attack is a supernatural attack that heals the attacker for half the damage of the attack, rounded down. A Draining attack is a necromantic effect that does not affect nonliving creatures. A Draining Punch performed on an Undead deals damage normally, but damages the user by the amount they should have been healed by.
Special: This feat may be selected as a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Endure

Prerequisites: Diehard, 17 Con
Benefit: Once per day when hit by an attack, spell or other effect that would kill you or reduce to -10HP or lower, it puts you at -9HP instead.
Special: This feat may be selected as a Fighter Bonus Feat

Mach Punch

Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, Dex 15
Benefit: Whenever determining Initiative, you may subtract up to your BaB in attack bonus on all the attacks in your first routine that encounter in exchange for an equivalent bonus to your Initiative.
(Thanks Tialait)

Sky Uppercut

Prerequisites: Jump 8 ranks, BaB +5,
Benefit:Whenever jumping, you may add a +5 to the DC of that jump in order to strike an opponent that would be within your reach while jumping once at your highest attack bonus.

The Prerequisites are still iffy on most the feats, comments much appreciated.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-26, 06:12 PM
Oh I like it!....*grabs*

As for Mach Punch look what i think

Mach Punch
Prerequiste: Improved Inititive, Dex 20
Benifits: You may add x Inititive checks, gaining a -x on your first attack on the round you use this feat, you cannot use more then your B.A.B. on this feat.

Special this feat can be chosen as a fighter bonus feat...

I'm not very good at writing thease....hope you understand my idea.

TheLogman
2007-12-26, 06:33 PM
I changed it a little, but thanks Tialait.

What does everyone thing of these?

Lady Tialait
2007-12-26, 06:35 PM
looks pretty, Yeah, I never was good at wording things...

no problem and your welcome to my help *rasberry.*

Deepblue706
2007-12-26, 07:18 PM
I suggest changing the name of "Endure", as there's already a feat called "Endurance".

Lady Tialait
2007-12-26, 07:23 PM
Deepblue, you do realize that they are named and are done with the effects of Pokemon...that is why they are named as they are.

Partysan
2007-12-26, 07:27 PM
Endure has too high prereqs for too low a benefit.

make it Con 17+Diehard and just put it "Once per day when hit by an attack, spell or other effect that would kill you or reduce to -10HP or lower, it puts you at -9HP instead."

It is still not really overpowered, but very very useful now.

Drain Punch (maybe Draining Punch?) seems a bit supernatural to me. I'd either reword/recrunch it somehow or add a subtype declaring it supernatural. Or maybe just refluff it, rename it to avoid "drain" (which includes a transmission of lifeforce) but make it some morale effect boosting you up because you hit so well.
However I think you could gte roughly the same with martial study, there are maneuvers (devoted spirit?) that do similar things.

Sky Uppercut seems fine. Something like a flyby attack for leap attackers^^ but could be abused with an ubercharger.

And I'd cut MAch Punch down to imp.Ini+Dex 15 but make the penalty apply on all attacks in your first round.

D&D considers attribtue prereqs over 19 epic^^

TheLogman
2007-12-26, 07:35 PM
You make some very valid points, Party.

I did change the Drain Punch to supernatural, but in order to keep the flavor, I think it has to stay as is. I will change a little flavor to make it drain some lifeforce or something I guess.

Stycotl
2007-12-26, 08:42 PM
i shy away from once-per-day feats, especially for fighter-types. so many class abilities, magical items, etc, already come in a 'one-a-day' pill form. for something like a luck reroll, i can understand (sometimes...), but for an actual exectuable ability or talent, i would be a little more generous. otherwise it is generally way too much of a sacrifice for someone to spend a precious feat on.

TheLogman
2007-12-26, 08:51 PM
Drain Punch should be once every 5 turns, I changed that, but I don't think so for Endure. It basically prevents you from dying, that shouldn't be a regular thing, I think maybe even once a day is a little often, but hey, they are adventurers.

Demented
2007-12-26, 08:57 PM
Perhaps make it work if you fail the DC by 5 or less?
A stiff breeze could still kill you.

Deepblue706
2008-01-02, 04:15 PM
Deepblue, you do realize that they are named and are done with the effects of Pokemon...that is why they are named as they are.

Uh, no, I didn't. I just thought they were poorly done. I hate pokemon and thus avoid it like the plague.

Cybren
2008-01-02, 04:18 PM
Oh, that would be an awesome idea. A pokemon RPG? Sign me up!

Stycotl
2008-01-02, 05:06 PM
maybe change the wording for the draining punch from once every five rounds, to "after a draining punch is used, the meleeist (new word I just invented and copyrighted, and if i look up on dict.online after this post and it is already there, i'm gonna hurt someone...) must wait 5 rounds before using it again." otherwise it kinda sounds like the player has to actually keep track of the entire battle, whether he's used the feat yet or not.

postscript- i just looked up meleeist online, and now i have to go hurt someone...

aaron out

TheLogman
2008-01-02, 07:36 PM
Stycotl, I don't think it's all that confusing to keep track of the once every 5 rounds condition at all. If you've every seen a Binder, more than half their abilities have that condition. The once every 5 rounds condition makes it effectively once per encounter, (Few encounters last more than 5 rounds) but allows characters to use it more in a huge battle, Boss Battle, or any other type of giant fight.