PDA

View Full Version : "Gritty" fighter feats

Learnedguy
2007-12-27, 06:37 AM
These feats are aimed to give the fighter a bit more of a "gritty" feeling. Now, should they be figher only feats or not?

Brutal twack
You're very pragmatic.
Prerequisite: Knockdown, Combat reflexes, Power attack, Str 15, BAB +9.
Benefit: During an attack of opportunity, roll a grapple check. If you succeed, your opponent is knocked into prone. If you rolled a twenty, the opponent is also dazed for one round.

The fighter smacks his opponent with the hilt of the sword, sending the opponent to the ground with a loud thud.

Swat aside
You know how to send your enemies flying.
Prerequisite: Knockdown, Power attack, BAB +6, Str +13
Benefit: When fighting an opponent, roll a grapple check. If you win, the opponent is knocked five feet towards a direction of your choice. The pushed opponent will also have to make a reflex save (DC 10+ str modifier+ 1/2 your BAB). If the enemy fails, he's knocked prone. This is a standard action.
Special: This can be used in conjucture with whirlwind attack. Simply continue pushing opponents until you fail your grapple check.

The fighter uses the flat side of his weapon to push his opponents aside.

Indecent fighting
You have no problems with tarninshing your honour.
Prerequisite: Improved initiative
Benefit: You may add a 1d4 to damage when you attack a prone enemy.
Special: You may choose this feat multiple times for a stacking effect.

STAB!

Veteran machoist
You know that sometimes, you just have to take it like a man.
Prerequisite: Toughness, Endurance, Diehard, Con 15, HD 9
Benefit: Once per day you may reroll how much damage you'll suffer. You must pick the new roll.

By twisting in the last moment, you lay your life in the hands of fortune.

Superior veteran machoist
You know that sometimes you have to pick the lesser of two evils.
Prerequisite: Veteran machoist, HD 12.
Benefit: Same as veteran machoist, but you may pick the lower outcome out of the two rolls.

By twisting a bit on the last moment you can avoid the worst of the damage.

Arcane teamwork
You've fought with casters countless times, and together, you've picked up a few handy tricks.
Prerequisite: Weapon focus, Int 13 BAB +9
Benefit: A caster may charge your weapon with a single touch spell. If not used, the spell disappear after three rounds.

Superior arcane teamwork
More tricks!
Prerequisite: Weapon focus, Weapon specialization, Arcane teamwork, Int 15, BAB +15
Benefit: You can now hold multiple charges in your weapon.

Your sword starts to glimmer with magical energy.

Shield savvy.(this one might not make much sense anymore. Check out Partysan's version instead. I thought it was quite good.)
There's more to the shield than meets the eye.
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, Int 13, BAB +15
Benefit: By sacrificing your shield bonus to AC your able to use Arcane Teamwork with your shield instead, turning your attacks into touch attacks.

And the shield goes straight into the face!

Crude block
There's blocking, and then there's blocking.
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, BAB +6
Benefit: As long as you're armed with a shield, you may add a damage reduction of X/adamantine. Instead of hurting you, the damage reduced will hurt the shield's HP.

Superior shield bash
You don't go easy on the shield.
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, Str 13, BAB +3
Benefit: You may add extra damage subtracted from your shield's HP.

Sacrifice the shield
A real warrior knows that the shield is man's best friend.
Prerequisite: Tower Shield proficency, Lightning reflexes, reflex save +6
Benefit: By taking cover behind your tower shield, you emulate the feat evasion. Roll a d20. If you rolled a 1 or 2, the shield breaks.

When the dragon breaths fire, you have to move fast!

Quick fix
A healer isn't always avaible, so you've learned to compensate.
Prerequisite: Self-sufficient, HD 3
Benfit: Once per encounter you can spend a full round action to heal yourself for 12 HP. Alternatively, you could make a shoddy work, healing yourself for 4 HP as a standard action. Both of the options provoke an attack of opportunity.
Special: You need something to work with, for instance, a piece of cloath.

Tell me if you've seen any of these before, as I'm pretty sure that some of these have been discussed earlier.

Learnedguy
2007-12-27, 07:12 AM
Here's some more:

Foul
You use dirty tricks without remorse.
Prerequisite: Improved initiative, Int 15, BAB +3
Benfit: If you win initiative and are standing on natural terrain, you may once per encounter try to throw dirt in the eyes of one nearby opponent as an immediate action. If the opponent fails a reflex save (DC 10+ dex modifier+ 1/2 BAB) he'll be blinded for the one round.

Screw honor!

Dropdown
Falling is easy.
Prerequisite: Improved grapple, Str 13, BAB +3.
Benfit: You may as a free action pull down an immobile opponent to prone by succeding in a grapple check. This action provokes an attack of opportunity.

Flying Tackle
Why does people limit themselves to weapons?
Prerequisite: Improved Bull Rush, Str 15, BAB +9
Benefit: When performing a charge you may choose to instead tackle your opponent. Make a grapple check. If you win, both you and your opponent are thrown into prone and you have your opponent pinned down. If you fail the grapple check, only you is thrown into prone.

Nebo_
2007-12-27, 08:09 AM
Generally, these are overpowered and badly worded.

Learnedguy
2007-12-27, 08:52 AM

Not everyone has english as their first language. But that didn't stop me from trying to clearify what I wanted the feats to do:smallamused:

Anyway, as a reaction to the "overpowered" statment, I tried to raise the bar a little bit. Although I wouldn't say it's that bad. I mean, why should Fighters always have to be the buttmonkeys of the universe?

Edit: I've rewritten most of the feats.

Partysan
2007-12-27, 10:08 AM
For the most of Brutal Twack you could just make a trip attack with you AoO And Swat Aside is not much different from a bull rush.

Suggestions:
Brutal twack
If you knock an opponent prone, he falls hard and has to recover.
Prerequisite: Improved Trip, Str +15, BAB+6
Benefit: If you succeed in a Trip attempt, your opponent has to make a fort save DC (10+your str mod+half your character level) or be dazed for 1 round.

Smattering Ram
Prerequisite: Improved Bull rush, Improved Trip, Str +15, BAB +12
Benefit: If you succeed in a bull rush attempt, your opponent has to make a reflex save DC (10+your str mod+2 for every 5 feet he is pushed back) or land prone in his new space.

Cut out Arcane Teamwork (and superior as well). These are either class features or it is a metamagic feat for the caster (smiting spell? not sure). But it is NOT a fighter feat.

Undecent Fighting: not much to change, just the prereqs
Impale
Prerequisite: Power Attack, Improved Trip, BAB +6
Benefit: If you attack a prone enemy, you deal +1d6 damage.

Shield savvy is partly useless, as a shield always can count as a weapon and partly overpowered, because you could make any attack as a touch attack.
Shield savvy
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, BAB +12
Benefit: You can make a shield bash as a touch attack. The damage you deal is nonlethal damage.

Crude block
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, BAB +6, Int 13
Benefit: Once per round, you can redirect an attack, that would normally hit you, to your shield. The attack is resolved as if the opponent had succeded in a sunder attempt on your shield. He doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity from you.

Superior shield bash
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, Str 15, BAB +6
Benefit: When performing a shield bash, you may damage your shield to a greater effect. You may subtract a number of hitpoints from your shield to a maximum of double your BAB or the shield's current HP, whichever is lower. If your shield's HP reach 0 it is destroyed as if sundered. You add the same number as extra damage on your shield bash.

Duck behind
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Lightning reflexes, reflex save +3
Benefit: When hit by an effect that normally allows a reflex save for half damage you can choose to duck behind your shield. If you do so, you are not damaged on a successful save, as if you had the evasion ability. However, your shield takes half damage instead.

Field Medicine
Prerequisite: Self-sufficient
Benefit: When using the heal skill, you get a number of benefits:
- You are treated as if you had a healer's kit as long as you have at least a piece of cloth, clean mud, a stick or similar simple items.
- You do not suffer circumstance penalties for dirty environments or similar hindering obstacles.
- You can perform long term care without the normal items and supplies you would need.
- When you have successfully stabilized a dying character that was in negative HP, his HP are set to zero.

As for Foul, there is a feat calles Sand Dance in Sandstorm that basically does the same. Dropdown and Keepdown do not really make sense to me and Tackle is overly complicated and clearly overpowered.

Just my 2 ct.

PS: was written before your rewrite.

Learnedguy
2007-12-27, 10:22 AM
For the most of Brutal Twack you could just make a trip attack with you AoO And Swat Aside is not much different from a bull rush.

Suggestions:
Brutal twack
If you knock an opponent prone, he falls hard and has to recover.
Prerequisite: Improved Trip, Str +15, BAB+6
Benefit: If you succeed in a Trip attempt, your opponent has to make a fort save DC (10+your str mod+half your character level) or be dazed for 1 round.

Smattering Ram
Prerequisite: Improved Bull rush, Improved Trip, Str +15, BAB +12
Benefit: If you succeed in a bull rush attempt, your opponent has to make a reflex save DC (10+your str mod+2 for every 5 feet he is pushed back) or land prone in his new space.

Cut out Arcane Teamwork (and superior as well). These are either class features or it is a metamagic feat for the caster (smiting spell? not sure). But it is NOT a fighter feat.

Undecent Fighting: not much to change, just the prereqs
Impale
Prerequisite: Power Attack, Improved Trip, BAB +6
Benefit: If you attack a prone enemy, you deal +1d6 damage.

Shield savvy is partly useless, as a shield always can count as a weapon and partly overpowered, because you could make any attack as a touch attack.
Shield savvy
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, BAB +12
Benefit: You can make a shield bash as a touch attack. The damage you deal is nonlethal damage.

Crude block
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, BAB +6, Int 13
Benefit: Once per round, you can redirect an attack, that would normally hit you, to your shield. The attack is resolved as if the opponent had succeded in a sunder attempt on your shield. He doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity from you.

Superior shield bash
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Improved shield bash, Str 15, BAB +6
Benefit: When performing a shield bash, you may damage your shield to a greater effect. You may subtract a number of hitpoints from your shield to a maximum of double your BAB or the shield's current HP, whichever is lower. If your shield's HP reach 0 it is destroyed as if sundered. You add the same number as extra damage on your shield bash.

Duck behind
Prerequisite: Shield proficency, Lightning reflexes, reflex save +3
Benefit: When hit by an effect that normally allows a reflex save for half damage you can choose to duck behind your shield. If you do so, you are not damaged on a successful save, as if you had the evasion ability. However, your shield takes half damage instead.

Field Medicine
Prerequisite: Self-sufficient
Benefit: When using the heal skill, you get a number of benefits:
- You are treated as if you had a healer's kit as long as you have at least a piece of cloth, clean mud, a stick or similar simple items.
- You do not suffer circumstance penalties for dirty environments or similar hindering obstacles.
- You can perform long term care without the normal items and supplies you would need.
- When you have successfully stabilized a dying character that was in negative HP, his HP are set to zero.

As for Foul, there is a feat calles Sand Dance in Sandstorm that basically does the same. Dropdown and Keepdown do not really make sense to me and Tackle is overly complicated and clearly overpowered.

Just my 2 ct.

Hey not bad! I like what you did with the feats, especially the prerequisites are more logical:smallbiggrin:
One thing though, I'd have the put the DC (DC 10+ str modifier+ 1/2 BAB) as it does more sense than having him roll his character level (especially if he's debuffed). This might be because of the editing though <.<;;

PS: was written before your rewrite.

I figured as much. I'd say your changes trump mine though:smallbiggrin:

Bandededed
2007-12-27, 11:41 AM

Actually, it seems to me that these feats would balance out an upper level party, where the main caster is killing everything and the fighter just stands there looking at his feet and waiting for something to survive.

My only nitpick - and it truly is a nitpick - is that undecent fighting should be indecent fighting, but that's not something that really matters. Totally good work on this, Learnedguy.

Partysan
2007-12-27, 11:44 AM
One thing though, I'd have the put the DC (DC 10+ str modifier+ 1/2 BAB) as it does more sense than having him roll his character level (especially if he's debuffed).

Definitely makes sense. BAB is fine, makes those feats more useful to a primary combatant.
Glad you like it^^

Learnedguy
2007-12-27, 12:41 PM
Actually, it seems to me that these feats would balance out an upper level party, where the main caster is killing everything and the fighter just stands there looking at his feet and waiting for something to survive.

Note that I rewrote the feats after Nebo had commented the first version, and I changed quite lot.

My only nitpick - and it truly is a nitpick - is that undecent fighting should be indecent fighting, but that's not something that really matters. Totally good work on this, Learnedguy.

Fixed, and my thanks:smallbiggrin: