PDA

View Full Version : The Alcubierre metric

Job
2007-12-27, 06:11 PM
I’m working on a homebrew d20 modern/future campaign involving heavy use of “hard” science, as it stands I need some way of moving objects around at about a 1300c. So an unusual question I am forced to ask: does anyone on this forum by chance happen to know more about the Alcubierre metric then Wikipeida?

brian c
2007-12-27, 07:54 PM
The Wikipedia article actually has a pretty good amount of information, and a bunch of links to its references and to other related materials. I had heard of that idea before, but hadn't heard that name. What else do you really need to know?

Job
2007-12-27, 09:13 PM
I may have simply missed it, but I was looking for clarification on the theoretical method by which the “bubble” is created. All articles state the need for negative energy density, which leads into exotic matter; does the presence of this exotic matter deform space-time (i.e. negative gravity)? Or does the negative energy condition simple allow for other forces to act in the region and thereby create the metric?

Cybren
2007-12-27, 09:25 PM
The thing about faster than light travel is that it's really all conjecture and fantasy. Even conceptual devices such as Alcubierre's are never going to work.

In his case, the very problem you have is the reason: there's no (known) way to create the 'warp bubble' (or to stop it or get off once you're inside). You're better off coming up with a clever solution that fits within your game world without destroying it. It could explain how the effect is created, or be a whole new method of faster than light travel. A system of wormholes would probably sound the most plausible to someone without much understanding of physics (explaining Alcubierre to someone would probably sound contrived).

Mass Effect has the clever "Mass Effect Fields" which also serve to do just about everything else. Star Gate uses a network of gates built by an earlier civilization...

Also, honestly, even though you're not using GURPS, I would highly recommend GURPS Space (http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-1002). It contains a lot of research on technology, astronomy, science, science fiction. It covers the genre of space and isn't just GURPS specific.