PDA

View Full Version : Dnd to d20modern conversion

TheThan
2007-12-28, 02:48 PM
Ok during the moments between sleep and awake this morning I hit upon the idea of converting The Tomb of Horrors from dnd (the 3.5 update) to D20 modern for a one shot adventure.

I’m imagining it a bit like a classic adventure film, such as the Indiana Jones films or some of the more recent movies like the mummy or the mummy returns (yeah I know they’re not that new but work with me here).

The problem is I’m not sure how to go about converting it. does anyone have any experience with converting dnd to d20 modern?

Mojo_Rat
2007-12-28, 03:13 PM
Well There are not alot of monsters in he tomb of horrors. It seems to me that Thats really the main part which needs to be converted. D20 modern has rules for monsters and such which should allow you to convert easy.

Other than That i would say look at the traps in the modual that do offer saves Guess what level adventurer they are aimed at. If D20 modern has saves aproximately the same as D&D characters (no idea) then leave the traps as is. Othewise adjust the DC's up or down so their more apropriate to the modern game. (at a glance im thinking d20 modern char's have a little lower saves but thats a guess)

then stick it in in some tropical jungle and your golden.

TheThan
2007-12-28, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the assist, was sort of stressed for time at the moment, but things are better now. I can probably figure things out on my own. I might even make it into a campaign, well more appropriately the end of a campaign.

RTGoodman
2007-12-28, 06:10 PM
Also, I'm not sure exactly how it works (I've never played d20 Modern), but I know there's a sourcebook (or campaign setting or something like that) for Modern that's called "Urban Arcana" or something similar, and it's about putting D&D monsters into d20 Modern.

hamishspence
2007-12-28, 06:12 PM
D20 modern, in its preferred campaign setting, Urban Arcana, has a stong theme of conversion. however due to much weaker magic, a D&D character who has slipped across will have some issues to work through.

Plus many spells are now the hard to cast Incantations (1 hour minimum, 6 Knowledge skill checks, DC30+, big disaster if two failures in a row.) Very epic type, no gp or XP costs to research but hard to cast. System uses Seeds, same ones as Epic rules.

I have not got ToH but have seen many references to it. Tome of Mage has details on Acecerak, its creator. Do not feel too bound by it, I heard it was basically a killer dungeon: change it to make challenging but fun for PCs, use supplements you like (Dungeonscape's Encounter trap rules spring to mind)

so, it could work in D20 modern. Liches are rare in this setting though, might need a slightly different creator and concept.

TheThan
2007-12-29, 02:02 AM
I really wasn’t looking to use magic for the D20 modern conversion. I was thinking more along the lines of Indiana Jones, or the Mummy. Where the heroes have maybe one magical artifact and the rest of their equipment is just mundane and the heroes must make due with what they have.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-29, 02:24 AM
Step 1 is to surround the Tomb with Nazis.