PDA

View Full Version : Craft skill booster

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 05:34 PM
Is there any wondrous item which boosts craft skills? I'm not high enough level for rings/rods/staff atm and my DM has put a crackdown on custom items.

Ne0
2007-12-28, 05:58 PM
A Periapt of Wisdom? :smallwink:
As far as I know, there's no real craft boosting item. Not anything that wouldn't be considered 'custom'.

marjan
2007-12-28, 06:00 PM
The only one I know of are dwarven forges from RoS and they only boost Craft(Weaponsmithing) if I remember correctly. Custom items (especialy for craft skills) shouldn't be a problem with reasonable DM.

marjan
2007-12-28, 06:01 PM
As far as I know, there's no real craft boosting item. Not anything that wouldn't be considered 'custom'.

Headband of intelect. Craft is based of inteligence not wisdom.:smallwink:

Zenos
2007-12-28, 06:01 PM
Headband of intellect for the intelligence bonus to the crafting check?

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-28, 06:02 PM

You mean Circlet of Intellect. Crafting skills are Int-based.

Ne0
2007-12-28, 06:03 PM
After being corrected 3 times, I'll pass on editing that. :smallbiggrin:
Meh, I got the point across...Mixed up Profession and craft.

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 06:06 PM

Craft is INT-based? I already have a Hat of Intellect. My DM's being so strict he's not letting me have a robe of protection (Same as an enhanced armour but on clothing with base AC of 0), instead he changed them to Bracers of Armour. Which our party has coming out of our collective wazoo.
I'm playing a dwarven wizard with blacksmithing, leatherworking and armoursmithing. I was hoping for something like Gloves of Blacksmithing or some sort of dwarf-based item.

I'm going to try putting in research time and money to see if the DM will give me SOMETHING.

Ne0
2007-12-28, 06:10 PM
Heck, it's the craft skill. There's hardly any way to abuse that. Just like profession.

RTGoodman
2007-12-28, 06:12 PM
Don't just jump ahead to magic items - you can spend 50g and get a "masterwork tool" that'll give a +2 circumstance bonus on a skill.

Tool, Masterwork: This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.

Rift_Wolf
2007-12-28, 06:48 PM
Already got masterwork crafty bits. I need MOER!

As for abusing craft....

I just wanna check something.

Say we have a week of downtime and I have an abundance of raw materials. Could I say I spend the entire week creating weaponry, and divide my skill check by the price of the item (say, swords), to determine how many I make?
And then, as masterwork components are worked out seperately from the items base price, roll the masterwork DC on each item?

Or is that complete nonsense?

marjan
2007-12-28, 06:51 PM

As for abusing craft....

Say we have a week of downtime and I have an abundance of raw materials. Could I say I spend the entire week creating weaponry, and divide my skill check by the price of the item (say, swords), to determine how many I make?
And then, as masterwork components are worked out seperately from the items base price, roll the masterwork DC on each item?

That's how crafting masterwork weapon works, but you must make masterwork component first and then build a weapon, not the other way around.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-28, 06:53 PM

As for abusing craft....

If you cast Fabricate, then that would be possible. Otherwise, your craft check indicates your one week's worth of work on the single piece you are making. With high enough check and low enough DC, you may finish it before the week has passed. However, since weapons are pretty expensive I'm afraid it will take you more than a week.

Alleine
2007-12-28, 07:50 PM
Found this on Crystal Keep:
Cartouche of Imhotep. +5 Competence to craft checks
5000 gold
From Dragon Mag. 325

Tyger
2007-12-28, 08:02 PM
As your a wizard, see if your DM will allow the Magecraft spell from Eberron. Level one spell and +5 on any craft check. Always worth it.

Treguard
2007-12-28, 08:20 PM
I'm playing a dwarven wizard with blacksmithing, leatherworking and armoursmithing.

If you're planning on making swords wouldn't craft(weaponsmithing) suit you better than craft(blacksmithing)? I always thought that blacksmithing as a skill was for mundane things like pots and ploughshares.