PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the right miniature

Llewelyn
2007-12-28, 06:11 PM
I've been working on a catfolk character for an upcoming campaign, but I've hit one small snag: finding the right miniature.

I tried googling to find female catfolk minis, but the only ones I could manage to find among all the unrelated links basically came down to:

Crocodile games' Basti - These have an egyptian slant, which doesn't really fit a wilderness type. It could be worked around somewhat, but the head sculpt leaves a little something to be desired too. :/

D&D minis - The catfolk wilder mini. This one is pretty close apart from the fur color and using thinner swords. How well do DnD minis take paint? (especially going from a dark color to a light color)

Reaper's Cheetah Girl - This one seems pretty close also, and unpainted so I don't have to worry about wrong colors. The downside is that she has a tail(DnD catfolk apparently don't) and this character's primary weapon is swords instead of a bow. 25mm is the scale that most DnD stuff uses, right?

Are there any other female catfolk minis out there, suitable for a wilderness type?

de-trick
2007-12-28, 06:20 PM
Its almost impossible to find a perfect miniature for your character, unless you base the looks of the character off the miniature. Also Catfolks are not a very common race in D&D so there are not many options.

Balkash
2007-12-28, 06:42 PM
i like Reaper, can you just break the tail off? and sometimes you can find weapon packs by Reaper, so you could glue the bow on. or break the sword off, glue the bow into her hand. Really, i usually just find something close and go with it.

SexyOchreJelly
2007-12-28, 06:44 PM
Find a miniature that simply looks cool without being too far from your character's appearance. Don't make it too specific, because the chances are you'll change character at least once in the not-so-distant future, trust me.

Llewelyn
2007-12-28, 06:54 PM
A bit of clarification on the Reaper... the mini uses a bow and has a quiver on her back which she happens to be reaching for, and it's my character that uses swords. I think her outfit is closer too than the Wilder, but I can't find any real good pictures of the wilder mini to get a good look at the outfit. Everyone seems to just use the same picture off the WotC website.

Mostly I'm trying to make sure there's no other, possibly better options before I spend on any of the above, since my Google-Fu seemed to be lacking.

Swordguy
2007-12-28, 07:15 PM
What you've got is about it. The old Ral Partha stuff now produced by Ironwind Metals doesn't include a catgirl - and they're the major fantasy mini producer that you didn't list.

There may be a few small-market mini casters out there that can help. I'll look around my bookmarks and see if I can find anything else - not holding out much hope though.

Lolzords
2007-12-28, 07:22 PM
Meh, I'm looking for an elven rogue with a bow and a bandana wrapped round his mouth, don't think I'm going to find, so I'll just settle for an elf with a bow. As long as it gets the point across of what you do, you don't need to be too picky.

I can tell at a glance that the orc with an axe is probably a barbarian, and the dwarf holding up a holy symbol is probably a cleric, and the elf holding a book and a stick is probably a mage.

Swordguy
2007-12-28, 07:27 PM
D'oh! Forgot this one:

Ground Zero Games has an anime miniatures line. The item number is PAND-15 (all purpose catgirl android)...but the site has no pics. (well, the downloads section has a copy of their 2007 catalogue, but it's a horrendously low-quality scan).

AslanCross
2007-12-28, 07:40 PM
The human archer ranger in my party had to settle for an archer skeleton. Our elf wizard is still using a dwarf wizard (for some reason we couldn't find an elf wizard). Our paladin got lucky, I opened a pack with a Shadowbane Inquisitor inside. The rogue got a Shadowdancer, while the elf ranger used the default elf ranger from the minis starter set. (Even if her character was female and the figure wasn't).

Sometimes you just have to deal with what you have.

Theodoxus
2007-12-28, 07:49 PM
I've used Lidda exclusively for my male halfling rogue who only uses daggers, and she's armed with a light crossbow...

What I really want and can't find is a figurine - at this point I don't care about race or sex (though female elf would be ideal) in fullplate using a bow. It just doesn't seem to be a common setup.

Anyone know if there were minis made of the Gondor knights with bows from the LOTR movie?

Swordguy
2007-12-28, 07:49 PM
D&D minis - The catfolk wilder mini. This one is pretty close apart from the fur color and using thinner swords. How well do DnD minis take paint? (especially going from a dark color to a light color)

Missed this the first time around.

The D&D minis hold paint reasonably well - far better than old Mage Knight minis. To go from a dark to light color, prime it white first (I hate giving GW money, but their white primer is fantastic). Make two light coats of primer rather than one heavy one - you'll preserve more surface detail that way.

Make sure you use fairly thin paints - Reaper or Model Masters work VERY well. Citadel will not be a good choice - they're a bit thick, and the surface detail on the 28mm prepainteds isn't that deep, so it'll obscure easy.

Swordguy
2007-12-28, 07:52 PM
Anyone know if there were minis made of the Gondor knights with bows from the LOTR movie?

Games Workshop has the LotR minis license. Their game came out in 2001, IIRC.

GW's LOTR page (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/lotr/default.htm)

I have them. They're fairly thin - not beefy like most GW stuff,and the detail is PHENOMENAL. Get the basic boxed set, and you get 20 Gondorians with Sword&board, and 20 with bows, along with an equal number of goblins or orcs.

Or you can get the Warriors of Gondor (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=305057&orignav=305053&ParentID=250891&GameNav=16) Boxed set for $25. Boom, done.

MiniMan
2007-12-28, 09:59 PM
Are we talking real miatures or electronic minaitures usabel in a Virtual gaming Table. I have a host of electronic minis (http://www.mayhemgaming.net) but I don't think I have a cat mini yet. That said I coudl create one if given the artwork to do so. If its real minis you paint, I can't help you there.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-12-28, 10:15 PM
Games Workshop has the LotR minis license. Their game came out in 2001, IIRC.

Ah, the LotR table-top game... I used to play this game. A local fantasy-ish store used to run weekend games of it a few years ago. How I miss sending wave after wave of Urukai (sp?) at the enemy, as Saruman (also sp?) stood in the far back behind a wall, mind-controling the enemy heroes (or something like that) by looking into his Palantir.
I would still be playing if they didnt stop with the weekend games. :smallmad: I always liked it more than Warhammer 40k, prolly just because it was much more simple and easier to learn.