PDA

View Full Version : History Rebuilt - IC

Cogito
2007-12-28, 06:26 PM
DCCCXLIV AD - 229 AH ...

A week after the destruction of Sevilla...

Inside one of the few houses that have not been destroyed...

Adil Khalid has been treating the wounded during the last 24 hours without resting,
Gerzson Sandor has just regained consciousness, his side still hurting too much to allow him to do more than look at the ceiling,
David Orcana has just arrived at the house, his head bleeding strongly from the falling stone that hit him while he was scavenging from the ruins.

((
Adil - 3 non-lethal damage
Gerszon - 1 hit point
David - 3 hit points

You have all your spells at your disposal
))

Ahus
2007-12-28, 11:40 PM
Gerzson

Laying in bed I stare at the ceiling counting thaches in th eceiling.
Sienna = Slavic
One, Two, ... , ninty-nine, ..., one hundered fourty seven
David enters bleeding profusely.
Damn it, I lost count...

Purple(Lavender) = Latin
Hey, doc, Looks like somebody is in need of your healing touch.

One, Two, ...

Mephibosheth
2008-01-02, 10:34 AM
Adil Khalid

Adil is clearly frazzled and exhausted, rushing from bed to bed in the over-crowded house, working to keep his charges alive. As he works, he mutters under his breath.

(Arabic) Every sun has to set. Every sun has to set.

Adil is a thin man, clad in a simple off-white tunic, white pants, and brown leather sandals. A strip of maroon cloth is tied around his forehead to keep his shoulder-length hair out of his face as he works. In the few seconds he's not engaged bandaging wounds, giving out medicine, crafting poultices, and conducting minor surgical procedures, he runs his fingers through his dark brown hair in apparent frustration. Despite his exhaustion, his hands are steady and his fingers move quickly and adroitly, stopping every few minutes to wash his hands in a bucket of water.

David's entry into the house is enough of a disturbance to prompt Adil to look up from a patient. He rushes over to the door and slips an arm around David's back to steady the wounded man and guide him to an open piece of floor. He sighs in frustration and runs his hand through his hair before examining the vicious head wound.

(Arabic) Well, no crowd ever waited at the gates of patience.

OOC:
Heal Check (facilitating natural healing) - 26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1449695)

Ahus
2008-01-05, 12:56 PM
Gerzson

As the doctor helps the new arival to the floor Gerzson sits up slightly in his convalesance bed very gingerly in obvious pain trying not to open up any freshly healed wounds. The act draining him of what little strength he had regained.

I was talking about me.
He says to the doctor in as jovial a manner as he could muster before slumping back into his bed. His tone showing his respect for the healer's chosen profession. Gerzson knows that without the doctor's help he would surely have died but he is uncertian how he got to this place, or how long he had been comatose before he woke up yesterday only that he was thankful to be alive.

Gerzson is a slight man with what had been a week's gowth of facial hair and a relatively long jet black hair. His forearms and hands suggest a a man of increadable strength but if one were to continue past to his upper arms ad shoulders it becomes more obvious that he is not likely to live up to that expectation. Even in his current state his jovial nature and powerfull personality shows through. His possesions including a Bag of stuff and a Bow nearly as long as he is tall rest on the floor next to him...

Cogito
2008-01-07, 01:52 PM
Adil can't pinpoint the location of David's excessive bleeding, and a moment after he has lain him down the bleeding becomes stronger and with a gasp David becomes unconscious. Adil manages to stabilize the deadly wounded man for now, but he is not sure wether David will be able to survive.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-07, 02:40 PM
Adil Khalid

Frustrated by his inability to pinpoint the bleeding's source, Adil sighs quietly in frustration. He looks around furtively at the rest of the room, glad that he had placed the newcomer at the far end of the room, surrounded by only a few other patients. Those nearest appear unconscious or distracted, so Adil decides to take a risk. He places his fingertips on the patient's head and begins to murmer quietly under his breath. If any patients are awake and able to hear his quiet whispers, they can make out a few words of prayer for Allah's healing and strength.

Having finished his prayer, Adil moves over to the other patient who called out for his attention. He quickly appraises his wounds.

(Arabic) You should be fine. All that is required now is rest and good food. The pain will lessen in time. Your side will hurt for a while. That was a rather serious cut, but the immediate danger is over.

OOC:
Spot/Listen to see if anyone's watching: 21 Spot, 4 Listen (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1454289)

Adil will cast Cure Minor Wounds on David, hopefullying returning him to consciousness.

Questions: What sort of display accompanies spellcasting in this world? Is it subtle (maybe slightly glowing eyes and hands or some quiet music) or obvious (a ray of light descending from heaven onto the healing recipient, loud noises, etc)? Is there any way Adil can conceal his spellcasting (a Bluff or Hide check maybe)?

Cogito
2008-01-10, 03:08 AM
David's breathing steadies, his body becomes more relax; he is sleeping now. When Adil turns around he notices that only Gerzson is looking at him, still waiting for an answer.

((Spell's have no other effects except that of doing what they are supposed to do. That means a cure spell's only visible effects are the suddenly closed wounds. So most of the few obvious spells are to be find in the evocation school.))

Ahus
2008-01-10, 12:55 PM
Gerzson Sandor

(Arabic)Its nice to know that I'll be alright but I don't even know where I am, or how I got here.
The last thing I remember I was traveling from Cordoba to Cadiz by way of Sevilla when I arrived there was some sort of battle going on. Aparantly, neither side wanted to halt the battle to allow me to pass and I was struck by members of both factions. At some point I must have passed out I awoke here in you care.

That was some pretty good work with that other guy. You know I was just joking before right.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-10, 04:22 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil's body tenses slightly at the compliment, afraid that the patient had seen him supplement his healing with divine power. His speech is guarded when he replies.

(Arabic) The wise say, "a chameleon does not leave one tree until he is sure of another." It is fortunate for you I am here. We of Al-Andulus have preserved medical knowledge that was lost elsewhere. However, you will heal.

My name is Adil Khalid, by the way. You are...?

Ahus
2008-01-11, 07:43 AM
Gerzson Sandor

(Arabic) I am Gerzson Sandor. I was once a scout for the armies of King Louis of Bavaria, now an explorer of the relms of Charlemagne I had seen too much death and destruction in my short time in service to the king and once released from my conscription took it upon myself to take part in the some of the fineries where ever they were at. I had heard tell of a new mosque being built in Sevilla, a wonder of design and architectural beauty, and felt that a trip through the area would be worth the detour on my way to the coast.

I have also heard of that the men of the city of Seville have their hiar cut by some of the most masterfull artisins of that profession in the whole of Europe. I thought to possibly partake of their services as well.

However, It appears as if I'll miss my ship from Cadiz to Sicily as a result of my injuries.

A little tounge in cheek "Barber of Seville" joke there, I hope noone minds

Mephibosheth
2008-01-11, 12:27 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil runs his fingers through his hair again, glancing around the room briefly to ensure that no one else needed his immediate attention.

(Arabic) I can't really speak to the quality of the barbers. I arrived only a few weeks before the fighting started, looking for a new surgeon or doctor to study under. And now I'm stuck taking care of all these people.

As he speaks, one of the patients in a neighboring bed groans and Adil rushes over, examining the patient's wounds quickly and replacing a blood-soaked bandage. While he works, he asks,

So, when's your boat to Sicily?

Cogito
2008-01-11, 06:06 PM
While you are talking you become aware of a child's voice somewhere outside. He is asking for someone called Adil Khalid, but nobody seems to be able or willing to give him directions as a moment later you hear the questioning voice becoming more distant.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-12, 02:11 AM
Adil Khalid

When he hears his name, Adil moves quickly to the door, uncertain whether to be frustrated or concerned. He grabs the door frame with one hand and leans out into the street, calling,

(Arabic) I'm Adil Khalid. Was someone looking for me?

Cogito
2008-01-12, 09:01 PM
As Adil opens the door, he can see a young boy, his clothings, hair, and face covered in dust. As he calls out to him, the boy turns around and comes running towards you, waving a scroll of paper. ""You are Adil Khalid? I have a message from the men camping outside the town. They gave me a loaf of bread and this message." The boy sounds quite out of breath but seems rather happy to finally have found the right person.

The message reads like this:
You are hereby summoned to the tent of Abd ar-Rahman II who, after having valiantly defeated the northern barbarians, is in need of medical assistance.

There is no signature and no seal.

Ahus
2008-01-14, 08:31 AM
Gerzson

So, I have arrived in Sevilla. The ship was to leave three days past the Sabbath. I should still be able to make my ship, but I fear that I am not exactly in a traveling form at the moment.

Hearing the child's voice.
Hey, doc you said your name was Adil, right it sounds as if someone is...
As the words come out it becomes obvious that Adil also heard the child outside. Before Gerzson can lift his head to see what te doctor is doing he is already out the door
err, looking for you.

Gerzson watches the child hand Adil the note and his reaction to it.
Well, what does it say?

Men encamped outside or town sending a note to you by name is never a good thing in Gerzson's experience.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-14, 11:14 AM
Adil Khalid

Adil slowly walks back into the house in a bit of a daze, holding the slip of paper in his hand. Gerzson's questions jogs him back to the present.

(Arabic) I have been summoned to tend to Abd ar-Rahman. Apparently he was wounded in the fighting. How they found me or why they summoned me, I have no idea.

He pauses, moves absent-mindedly over to the water bucket and washes his hands before running them through his hair again. Then, he suddenly turns to Gerzson.

(Arabic) If you were well, would you accompany me to the camp? I cannot ignore this summons, but I hesitate to go alone and know no one else in the city.

Ahus
2008-01-14, 03:50 PM
Gerzson

It would be my honor to go with you to tend to this new patient. In my current state I do not know how much help I will be to you if there is some sort of rucous, however, I owe you my life Adil. I feel that my recovery will be much faster in your presence than left to my devices in this place.

Who is this Abd ar-Rahman any way? He's gotta be pretty important or they'ld just have one of the field "surgeons" deal with him.

Gerzson makes the little air quotes as he says surgeons.

I'm quessing that you are expected to come post haste if you'll allow me a few moments to gather my things and dress.

Gerzson gathers his things and puts on a relativly fresh set of clothes. The pain he is currently experiencing shines in his eyes and on his cheeks as a single tear rolls down then falls to the floor. A slight gasp escapes his lips as the raises his arms to put on his shirt and again as he sinches his belt tight. As he begins to tie the strings his cloak around his neck his eyes alight again, though this time not in pain it is as though an Idea had just struck him.

Adil, may I see the note. I have a knack for authenticating written messages. There are often tell-tale signs when the the note is less than legitimate. A slight wiggle in the hand when the author is nervous that their forgery might be dicovered. Although it is more difficult when you dont know what the actual person's wrighting looks like.
There is a posibility that this is a trap meant to lure the only trained doctor out out of the town. Though how they knew you name is still a mystery, though no more a mystery than how Abd ar-Rahman's men might know the same. Possibly one whom you have treated in these past days was captured.

Well, I figured I'ld do the first IC skill check, on one of the most under utilized skills in the game (well this is the first time I've ever seen it used) unfortunately its a secret roll... Detect Forgery:+7 -2(Unknown handwrighting) =+5

Mephibosheth
2008-01-14, 05:38 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil winces several as Gerzson gathers his belongings and dresses. Fortunately, it looks like Gerzson's wound hasn't re-opened. As they both ready their belongings and Adil makes one final check of the patients, he tries to answer his new-found companion's questions.

Ar-Rahman is the Emir of Cordoba. I haven't been to Cordoba in years...

At Gerzson's request, he hands over the note.

I don't know what you can make of this, but take a look. I've never seen ar-Rahman's writing either, though it is likely he didn't even write this.

Finally, as the two prepare to leave, Adil stops Gerzson, grabbing the man's shoulders lightly and pulling him gently away from any windows or doors. The surgeon is clearly nervous, shaking slightly.

Wait a moment. You are in no condition to travel, even the short distance to the encampment. Before I do this, however, you have to swear to keep this a secret.

With this warning, Adil places one of his hands on Gerzson's wound and begins to pray and chant quietly. Gerzson can feel his skin tingling and growing back together under Adil's palm, and his pain lessens substantially, if not disappearing completely.

OOC:
Adil will cast Cure Light Wounds on his companion (trading out one of his prepared Bless spells).

Cure Light Wounds (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1461407/) - 11 damage healed (+1 for CL, +2 for Augmented Healing)

Well, someone had to initiate the "you can use magic too!" conversation...

Cogito
2008-01-15, 06:32 AM
The note seems not to be a forgery.

As Adil and Gerzson ready themselves to leave they notice the few patients who are not in too much agony whispering about Ar-Rahman and how he must have defeated the northmen.

Ahus
2008-01-15, 08:22 AM
Gerzson

After determining that it is legitimate, Gerzson rolls the note from the unknown author and places it in his scroll case.

The tingling sensation eminating from Adil's palm on Gerzson's side whole not uncomfortable is a suprise, which causes him to flinch slightly.
(whisper)
My friend it would appear that the lord has joined two or his most trusted servants for some reason.

Once outside of the makeshift hospital Gerzson places his hand on Adil's shoulder and states in the most serious tone he is capable of.
God has given you power over the body, and has given me power over the mind. I do not know why we have been brought together as yet but I am sure it is to do his bidding.
He then throws up his hands and returns to his more aloof normal self.
Or, were just both abominations to be burned for witchcraft.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-15, 11:11 AM
Adil Khalid

Adil gives a double-start at Gerzson's comment about "power over the mind," and his eyes widen in surprise. He speaks quietly as they begin to walk down the road.

Definitely not burned at the stake, insha'Allah. I didn't know that any others had abilities like mine.

As they talk in low tones, Adil leads the way to the army encampment.

Ahus
2008-01-15, 12:12 PM
Gerzson

While we have both been gifted abnormal abilities from God, I am afraid that the Catholic Church has a monopoly on miracles. Our abilities make us a danger to them, their power. You might be allowed to go as an emmisary of God, as Christ himself was purported to control the power of the body. However, there is only one other whom controls the power of the mind as I do... the Morning Star. Some how I don't have any inclination to trust that any one would believe that I have no association with the dark prince.
Asside from another with similar abilities that is.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-15, 12:58 PM
Adil Khalid

I don't intend to let anyone find out. When I first found out about my abilities, I made the mistake of telling a trusted friend and teacher. He leapt to the conclusion that I was possessed, and I barely escaped. I had to change my name, alter my appearance, and flee the city. I don't really know why I decided to trust you just now, but it appears we both have good reasons to keep this under wraps.

Cogito
2008-01-16, 05:48 PM
Once the two arrive at the camp a soldier, clad in the full armor of the emirate, comes running towards them.
(arabic)"You are Adil Khalid? Follow me, come!"
The man barely looks at either Adil or Gerzson before turning around again and running right towards the middle of the huge camp, were a richly decorated tent has been erected. Inside there are only two men, one seems to be a priest, the other can only be Abd ar-Rahman himself, lying in a bed. He tries to sit up as the two visitors enter, but all he manages is lifting his arm a few inches. "Leave me with these men, I will call you should I need you again."
The old priest quickly leaves the tent, only shooting a derisive look towards Gerzson and Adil.
"Come nearer, come." His voice is quite weak, that of a dying man. "I've heard rumors of a capable healer being in the city of Seville. Most extraordinary rumors I've heard about the man who calls himself Adil Khalid... I have been wounded, probably mortally, during the battle with the northern barbarians. If the rumors are true, you shall be rewarded beyond imagination. Now... please... have a look at the injuries."
Once Adil has uncovered the emir's torso and removed the bloody bandages carefully he can see several deep and frayed wounds, obviously made by rather badly-made piercing weapons. Most of the internal organs must have been at least grazed by these stabs and you are wondering how the man lying in front of you can still be alive.

Ahus
2008-01-17, 08:25 AM
Gerzson

Adil, I will stand watch outside... Your highness.
With a slight bow of his head tword the emir, Gerzson turns to exit the tent.

Once outside of the tent Gerzson scans the immediate area for the soldier whom led them to the tent or the priest. Upon finding either or both of them, he will approach them for a private discussion.
Sir(s), I would appreciate knowing by whose hand this summons for Adil Khalid was written. I am acting as personal bodyguard for the healer, in that capacity I am in your encampment. However, I am more like unto those northmen in physical appearance and would thusly prefer that this summons have a more official documentation to accompany it, such that I not be confused with some spy and treated accordingly.

Trying to obtain a handwriting sample from someone held in obviously close confidence by the emir, if not the emir himself.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-17, 04:19 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil does his best to hide his shock at the extent of the Emir's injuries. He quickly sets his surgical instruments on a table near the Emir's bed while he calls for one of the soldiers outside to get him a bucket of hot water. After the water arrives, he washes his hands carefully and gets to work, examining the Emir's wounds more closely and beginning to treat the injuries.

(Arabic) Your wounds are truly grevious, my lord. I will do my best to heal them, but you must help as well. Try to relax and pray, perhaps even sleep. Your body has impressive healing abilities, but they are hindered by excessive activity, especially with injuries as serious as these.

OOC:
Adil will begin to provide long term care to the Emir, taking 20 on the Heal check for a result of 27.

Also, is it possible to use the Heal skill to craft simple mundane potions (specifically, a soporific potion to induce sleep), or is a Craft check required. Also, would Adil have any opium in his basic surgeon's kit? Opium was used as an anesthetic well before this time period. Again, Adil's goal is to reduce the Emir's consciousness enough to use magic without his knowledge.

If possible (and another Heal check is necessary and Adil can't take 10 or 20):

Heal Check - 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1464800/)

Cogito
2008-01-19, 09:32 AM
Adil treats the Emir's wounds as well as is possible with the aid of mundane equipment. When Adil looks for any response from the Emir he notices that he has become unconcious.
((To answer your questions: No creation of any potions without a craft check. You have a good supply of opium with you, as well as any other usual or almost usual substances for the time.))

While Adil is treating the Emir, Gerzson's attempt at getting a more official document is only answered with a derisive look by the priest. The soldier it transpires, is just a common soldier, but he assures you that you won't be mistaken for a spy. "But if you nevertheless want anything official you will have to wait until the Emir is better again."

Ahus
2008-01-21, 08:34 AM
Gerzson

To the Soldier:While i appreciate your statement that I'll not be taken for a spy, I'ld still prefer to have some sort of documentation... However, you have been very helpful and any assistance I can get, is very much appreciated. I shall speak with the Emir when he recovers. What is your name, such that I may tell the Emir of my appreciation for your swiftness and candor?

After a brief pause, loud enough that the derisive priest will surely hear that Gerzson is talking about him: And what is his problem! Adil Khalid is a masterful healer perhapse the greatest whom I have ever met. Summoned by the Emir or one of his surrogates, some one whom must be aware of his talents, to tend to the Emir's wounds. What is his name?
Changing to a whisper for the ears of the Soldier only:There is the distinct possibility that he does not have the Emir's best interest at heart. He has been glaring at Adil and myself since we arived and I feel that he is less than appreciative of our pressence. Were I you I'ld inform my superiors of the potential treachery afoot, although I'ld make it a subtile suggestion that they keep an eye on him and his ilk. There is no proof of wrong doing as of yet however I don't trust anyone whom does not want their Emir to be in the presence of a great healer like Adil Khalid. I leave it up to your judgement as you are obviously more familiar with the members of this camp than I.
Back in a normal tone:I'll take my leave of you now to go check on the progress of Adil and the Emir.

I'ld like a Sense Motive +4 on the Soldier's reaction to and any response to Gerzson's statement.

Gerzson then returns to the tent where Adil is treating the Emir.
Adil, how is the Emir?
I have a bad feeling about the priest whom was in here earlier. He seems less than excited that we are here. It may be a pride thing or he resents being tossed out of the immediate service to the Emir for a new comer, but the whole time I was outside he kept giving me dirty looks.
Unless you object, I'm going to do some checking into the background of some of the senior staff members surrounding the Emir. I'ld hate to have the Emir all healed up, just to be assinated by someone close to him. When he wakes up feel free to clear it with him.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-21, 11:06 AM
Adil Khalid

Adil busies himself tending to the Emir's wounds, washing them out with the hot water and applying bandages and poultices. He also administers a small amount of opium to the Emir, hoping that he will fall unconscious. When he does, Adil breathes deeply and, quickly looking over his shoulder to ensure he is alone in the tent, begins to pray over the Emir's wounds. The sinews begin to knit back together as Adil's power courses through the Emir's body.

He has just finished his arcane ministrations and is returning to more mundane methods when Gerzson enters, speaking of his suspicions.

(Arabic) The Emir is sleeping, currently. I have done all I can for now, but he requires continued care. His wounds were grievous, and there is substantial internal damage.

By all means investigate, but be subtle. I don't want to provoke more ire than necessary. I will question the Emir when he is strong enough. And stay close, if you can. The two of us together may be able to survive where one alone would perish, if it comes to that.

OOC:
Thanks for the clarification, Cogito. That's what I expected, but it can't hurt to ask!

Adil will cast Cure Light Wounds on the Emir, healing 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1468277/) points of damage. He'll also continue with his long-term care, allowing the Emir to heal at twice his normal rate.

Cogito
2008-01-21, 05:24 PM
"My name is Jabir al-Sayyid. But please do not speak too highly of me in front of the emir," the soldier says in reply to Gerzson's question. He does seem to feel somewhat uncomfortable at the thought of being praised too much. "The priest's name is Maymun al-Assadi. He was once in favour of the emir, but now he is just another of his underlings. He was only called to the emir's tent because he is the only priest here." Jabir seems to be rather amused about this, but doesn't dwell long on the subject. "I don't think he has something sinister in mind, though. And I'd rather not raise false alarm, as subtle as it may be raised."

All in all the soldier seems honest, if a bit too humble for Gerzson's liking. There also seems to be some history between him and the priest, although Gerzson is quite sure he won't tell him more about it at this point.

Adil's efforts have greatly helped the emir. The wounds have almost completely closed, and the emir's face has regained some colour. His breathing is regular again and with the aid of Adil's medical knowledge he will have recovered completely in three or four days. For now he is fast asleep and Adil supposes he will continue to be this way for at least half an hour.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-22, 09:58 AM
Adil Khalid

As the Emir sleeps peacefully, Adil washes his hands in the hot water before laying down on the floor of the tent, resting with his behind his head. After a few moments, he gets up and moves to the door of the tent, looking for someone with some authority who can answer his questions.

The Emir is sleeping, but will require more care over the next few days. Who should I talk to about quarters for myself and my associate? It would be best if we remain on hand until the Emir is healthy again.

Cogito
2008-01-24, 03:45 PM
As Jabir hapeens to be the first person Adil comes across and because he already knows the soldier (at least by sight), he asks him.
"I will speak to the quartermaster immediately. He will arrange a tent for you, I'm sure."
And off he goes only to return a few minutes later, together with two other soldiers and a tent. A few more minutes pass before the tent has been erected.
"So," Jabir says, a bit out of breath"all is taken care of."

Mephibosheth
2008-01-24, 04:03 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil is a bit taken aback by how quickly Jabir got everything under way, but he happily plunks such equipment as he has down inside the tent. He bows slightly to the soldier in gratitude.

Assalam alaykum. Many thanks, sir. You have been most kind. My name is Adil Khalid. If there is anything I can do for you, please ask. And you are...?

Ahus
2008-01-24, 09:56 PM
Gerzson

Echoing Adil's suprise in how quickly Jabir got the tent setup.
That was pretty impressive Jabir. You obviously have more pull arround here than you give yourself credit for... And many thanks to you as well gentlemen.

Gerzson enters the tent and relieves himslef of the majority of his burden, Rations, Water, Rope, Change of Clothes, etc.

Cogito
2008-01-27, 05:19 PM
"Jabir, my name is Jabir. And do not thank me, I just told the quartermaster that you have saved the emir. I will now leave you to yourselves, there are other duties I have to fulfil." With that Jabir leaves in the direction of the outer camp. In the evening the emir awakes and summons Adil and Gerzson. The emir is still in his bed, but he is sitting up when sees Adil.
"I do not know how I would be able to thank you. Only a few hours ago I was a dying man, and now... Name anything, I will give it to you."

Mephibosheth
2008-01-28, 10:49 AM
Adil Khalid

Adil moves quickly over to the Emir and examines his wounds, smiling as he does so.

Thank you for your kind words, my lord. At the moment, all I require is for you to continue resting. Despite how energized you may feel, you will need a few days of bed rest before the danger is truly over. Meanwhile, we have to consider your generous offer.

After a few moments of further examination, Adil retreats from the tent with one further exhortation for the Emir to sleep, beckoning Gerzson to follow. Once outside, he turns to his companion, speaking quietly.

Well, what do you think? Shall we stay and enter the employ of the Emir, or take whatever reward is granted and move on?

Ahus
2008-01-28, 12:59 PM
Gerzson

Adil, I see no reason not to adopt both paths. My goal in leaving my homeland to come west is to seek an ally in ending the cycle of slavery my people have been subject to for much of our history.

One upstart kingdom would come in with the promise of freedom inorder to gain the support of the slaves only to enslave their former masters. Whom would then succumb to the seduction of another. With each new dynasty the slaves would become masters and the masters their slaves.

The emir might just be the ally I have been seeking, however, I'll not lead another conqurer to my homeland to perpetuate the cycle. Only time will tell...

I see no reason not to enter his employ whilst we wait. My loyalty is to my people and not for sale. Should the emir not be the ally I seek I will take my leave of him without a moments hesitation, or guilt.
That said until such determination is made I will serve honorably whilst in his employ.

If Gerzson judges the Emir worthy he will request that they go to Romania and free the slaves, other wise he will take $$ (or land or both) and continue his search for an ally.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-28, 01:43 PM
Adil Khalid

It is possible that Abd ar-Rahman may be the ally you seek, but your homeland is a long way from al-Andulus and is separated from the Dar al-Islam by powerful kingdoms. I do not even know if ar-Rahman has any influence within the rest of the Caliphate, but it is likely he has more than the two of us. Rising within ar-Rahman's court cannot hurt your efforts, at least not as I see it.

Ahus
2008-01-28, 04:39 PM
Gerzson

You are wise Adil. Indeed rising within the ranks of ar-Rahman's court will not likely hurt my people but it might neither benefit them. If Abd ar-Rahman is my worthy ally then no distance will be too great to travel, and those powerful kingdoms are the lands that spawn the tyrants that I was referring to.

He who would be my ally in this shall not shed the blood of a single man in giving freedom to my people. He need only facilitate the negotiations, and participate as mediator, teacher, sage, philosopher and diplomat. My people need not another conqurer they must learn a life without slavery.

Mephibosheth
2008-01-29, 12:58 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil nods, though his face shows a little scepticism when Gerzson speaks of peacefully brokering a deal between the slavers and the enslaved.

I can't speak to whether he will be a valuable ally or not, but we will find out.

Adil continues to minister to the Emir, keeping his bandages clean, applying fresh poultices, and trying to make him rest as much as possible. When an opportunity presents itself, he broaches the topic of remuneration.

Gerzson and I trust in your generosity, my lord. We ask only for the opportunity to use our gifts to serve you and the Emirate.

Cogito
2008-02-11, 07:12 AM
"Then you both will receive titles and property to match your deeds and we can talk about everything more specific once I have completely recovered. Until then, might I ask you of a small favour? I lost my sword when I was wounded on the battlefield, and when I sent my men to recover it after the battle was over, it was nowhere to be found. I think it might have been taken by someone in the city as the savages where never able to win enough ground to get it into their hands, and as you have been to the city during the last days you will probably have better chances to find it. The scimitar is easily identifiable by the emeralds on the hilt and the engraving of the emirate's and my name on the blade. Bring the sword and if possible the thief to me and I shall be even more generous."

Mephibosheth
2008-02-11, 12:43 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil frowns almost imperceptibly at the Emir's request as he continues to work.

Hmmm. It will be difficult to track down your sword, but we can ask around. Perhaps two unassuming individuals can open doors that remain closed to the soldiers of the Emirate.

Having completed his ministrations for the moment, Adil once again makes his farewells and retreats outside the tent. He quickly finds Gerzson and relays the Emir's request.

The Emir wants us to track down his sword, which was lost in the battle. Emerald-encrusted and engraved with the Emir's name. Are you up for a bit of sleuthing?

OOC:
Knowledge (Local) check: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1488836) - What information (if any) does Adil know about the black market in Sevilla? Any prominent locations/organizations/individuals that can be used to (discreetly) tap into the market?

Ahus
2008-02-11, 02:35 PM
Gerzson

I am not certian that by the time we locate this item for your emir it will still have its gems and such but I am more than willing to help. Adil, When we return you should probably get some rest...

Mephibosheth
2008-02-12, 01:37 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil pauses for a moment, running his fingers through his hair and looking around the encampment.

Yeah, you're probably right. Things have been pretty busy. Maybe we can go into town, get a bite to eat and a refreshing cup of tea, and have a look around. Who knows where that sword will be tomorrow.

OOC:
I assume it hasn't been more than a few hours since we were summoned to the army encampment. If it has, let me know and I'll renew my spells (unless the Emir's wounds kept Adil up all night).

Also, any results on that Knowledge check? Where would our characters think to start looking?

Cogito
2008-02-14, 06:27 PM
About 6 hours have passed, it begins to get dark. From what Adil has gathered during his stay at Sevilla there is not much left of the old black market structure but a new one has quickly been established. Only a day before has Adil patched up a yonug man who wanted to thank him with some obviously illegal trinkets (looked like being scavenged from a nobleman's house.) It shouldn't be much of a problem to find him again.

Ahus
2008-02-15, 09:01 AM
Gerzson

That sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe while we are in town you could check on your other patients as well. It seems that more often than not I find myself on the other side of this sort of thing. It is rare that I find myself standing with the powers that be rather than against them. This will take some getting used to.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-15, 10:38 AM
Adil Khalid

I will admit, it's a little new for me, too. We probably don't want to broadcast our employer on this little mission, though. Working on behalf of the emirate probably won't win us too many points where we're going.

Hmm...there is one former patient I would like to check on. Might even be able to get some information...

Come on, I need that cup of tea.

Adil leads the way out of the encampment and back into the city to a small cafe in the center of the city. He sits down at a table and orders a small meal and cup of tea before leaning back in his chair with a sigh. His relaxed posture only lasts for a moment before he leans forward, gesturing for Gerzson to lean in as well. He speaks softly, so as not to be overheard in the noisy establishment.

Yesterday or the day before, I treated a young man named Hasan Manzar for some nasty burns. He tried to give me some pretty valuable items to repay me. I'd bet anything he looted or stole them from some nobleman. Maybe he would have some information for us, at least about where to start looking.

OOC
I hope you don't mind that I went ahead and named the young thief. If you're interested, Hasan Manzar is the name of one of my favorite Urdu authors.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-18, 12:49 PM
Adil Khalid

Adil finishes his meal and beverage before standing up and stretching, running his fingers through his hair as he does so.

Well, let's go see if we can scrounge up some information.

He leads the way out of the cafe and into the city, winding his way through the narrow alleys and side streets until he reaches an address he remembers from his conversations with Manzar. When they arrive, he knocks heavily on the door.

Ahus
2008-02-19, 07:53 AM
Gerzson

Seated at the table with Adil gerzson tries several times to order only to be informed that his desired drinks and meal is not on the menu.
I'll take a cup of wine and ...
Sorry sir, no wine.
Ok, then a tankard of ale and a hock of ham.
I'm sorry sir but we do not serve items unpure in the eyes of god.
Exhasperated.
Oh, just give me what he's having...

Over the meal Gerzson agrees that this Hasan is a good place to start their search for the sword.

When the two arrive at the address:
Adil, how confident are you that this man would know about the sword? Is it worth me exposing my ability?
Keep in mind that any one who knows is a threat, regardless of their guilt or innocense there can be no witnesses to our abilities.

Mephibosheth
2008-02-19, 03:02 PM
Adil Khalid

To be honest, I don't whether he'll be able to help us or not. He's just the only person I know in town who might have information about stolen merchandise. As long as we're subtle, we shouldn't be in too much danger. We're just looking for a place to start.

Let's at least try more mundane methods of interogation before using your power. From what I remember, he doesn't seem like the hardened criminal type, so he may very well cave quickly or give the information willingly. Let's just try being friendly, at least at first.