PDA

View Full Version : Advice for making a banner

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-31, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking about making a banner for my sig (why? because it would be awesome thats why) It would either be a big symbol of Khorne with a skull on top of it, with two axes crossed behind it, and a banner above which says "Blood for the Blood God" and below that "Skulls for the Skull Throne" or an undivided symbol with a skull in the center, with either the four Chaos God symbols or a pair of spears with A skull and an SM helmet on it, with a banner overhead which says "Death to the False Emperor" and below that "For the Glory of Abaddon" the only problem with this awesome idea? I have crappy artistic skills, any suggestions to make this do-able for a non-artist? or is there no hope for me?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-12-31, 09:33 PM
An easy way to make it better? Have the IoM kicking Chaos butt.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-31, 09:39 PM
yea that would make it cool, cool like the heart of a volcano *smack* Chaos 4evar :smallbiggrin:

xwd
2007-12-31, 11:04 PM
I'm not so artistic myself, but I'll try to help you.

For starters, you'll clearly need an image editing program. If you've got one, great. If you don't, get The GIMP (http://gimp.org/). It's what I use for bitmap image manipulation. There's some tutorials around if you're confused about how to use it, though I've learned quite a bit just by fooling around with the options. Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/) works well for vector drawings if that's how you roll.
Next, you'll need source images. It sounds like you'll need those symbols, some sharp objects and some skulls. Google image search, make drawings, whatever. Just get them.
Make a new image the size of your banner, then import all those images. If there's stuff in the background keeping it from being transparent, erase it. Color selection tools work well for that. Resize them to be however big you want them to be, then position them around, with rotations or whatever. If you want bloodstains or whatever, you can make a new layer and draw red where you want the blood, then make that layer semi-transparent.
For the text, generic black fits in nicely with this forum. Try Comic Sans to start, but don't be afraid to experiment.
If you're looking for ways to make it look more kickass, you can't go wrong with mangled skeletons.
Oh, and be sure to save frequently.

Not too sure how much that helped, but I tend to think in algorithms and I came up with one after reading this post.

I know of that "blood for the blood god" thing from playing DoomRL. You get the message "BLOOD! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" when you pick up the chainsaw.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-31, 11:09 PM
DoomRL? whats that? (forgive my ignorance, I would guess a Doom game but I'm not entirely sure) I'm doing it for Warhammer 40k, the BloodGod being Khorne.

xwd
2007-12-31, 11:21 PM
I understand it's from WH40k, some guys on another forum also happen to be into it and told me about it when I made an avatar with said phrase and a picture of a chainsaw. I was just mentioning that's where I found out about it.
But, DoomRL. DoomRL (http://doom.chaosforge.org/), or Doom, the Roguelike, is a roguelike based on Doom. I understand that's not very helpful if you don't know what a roguelike is, so a roguelike is a console-based RPG where you control a character represented by a @ and go around killing stuff. See this guest comic (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots0303.gif). So, DoomRL is basically a fast-paced roguelike with lots of guns. It's pretty simple, you get the hang of it after a couple of plays though you'll still sometimes die when a barrel explodes next to you. :P

So, think you'll be able to make that banner? I'm curious to see what kind of awesomeness you'll mix up.

Emperor Ing
2007-12-31, 11:26 PM
I think size req is 468 X 120. Not 100% positive, but thats off the top of my head.

I recommend Inkscape. You can make these cool effects as seen in my banner. (self made)

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-31, 11:42 PM
heres something I just threw together by editing some pictures together (the skull is what annoys me most)

http://i16.tinypic.com/7yeamb5.jpg

Bryn
2008-01-01, 06:54 AM
There are transparency artifacts around the edge of the axe. This is due to them being slightly off-colour from pure white, so when you removed the white from the image, it didn't remove the bits around the axe.

To correct this, use the Fill tool to fill the background with pure white. Then use the colour select tool to select the white, but set the threshold value a bit higher than 0. The threshold value can be found at the bottom of the buttons window. With that selected, go to the Layer menu, go to transparency, and select 'Colour to Alpha'.

If I were you, I'd use a different picture of the skull. That skull has some strange bits around it, so pick a different skull that does not.

Nameless
2008-01-01, 07:44 AM
If you want you can try to completely remove the yellowy bits arround the skull, so that there isn't that horrible squarish look to it.