Level: Wiz/Sor 4, Clr 4, DrdNecro 4
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1a
Range: Touch
Target: 1 controlled undead
Duration: 1 rd/lvl
Saving Throw: Reflex
Spell Resistance:
If the target undead controlled by the caster dies, it explodes, dealing 1d4/lvl negative energy damage in a 15’ radius.

Taste of Death
School: Necromancy
Level: Wiz/Sor 3, Clr 3, DrdNecro 3
Range: Med
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell destroys an undead creature controlled by the caster. The caster gains 1 temporary hit point per hit dice the creature possessed.

Unlimited Reserve
Level: Wiz/Sor 2, Clr 2, DrdNecro 2
Target: 1 summoned undead with HD = 1/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance:
Target summoned undead loses 2 hit points per round. When that undead dies, another undead of the same type rises with 1 fewer hit dice.

Rotting Pool
Range: Close
Saving Throw: Fort
Spell Resistance:
Target undead controlled by the caster can inflict a disease (filth fever, DC = spell DC) on a successful hit for 1 round per caster level.

Ichor Explosion
Range: Medium
Duration:1 rd/lvl
Saving Throw: Reflex/Fort
Spell Resistance:
This spell destroys an undead controlled by the caster, causing it to explode in a 15’ radius. All creatures within the radius must make a reflex save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds and a fortitude save or be blinded for 1 rd/lvl.

Opinions please?

Edited to fix typo in damage.

Hecore
2007-12-31, 10:15 PM
Ichor Explosion seems too powerful.
Taste of Death seems abusable. I'd also make the HP temporary, like False Life.
Rotting Pool seems okay.
Unholy Pact seems incredibly weak - is it missing something? 1d4 explosion when an undead dies, allows a reflex save, and is a FOURTH level spell? I mean it'll be some really minor healing to other undead, but...

Scathach
2007-12-31, 10:56 PM
Ichor Explosion seems too powerful.
Taste of Death seems abusable. I'd also make the HP temporary, like False Life.
Rotting Pool seems okay.
Unholy Pact seems incredibly weak - is it missing something? 1d4 explosion when an undead dies, allows a reflex save, and is a FOURTH level spell? I mean it'll be some really minor healing to other undead, but...

Eep, that's supposed to be 1d4/level

Neek
2007-12-31, 11:22 PM
Unholy Pact
Saving Throw: Reflex
Spell Resistance:
If the target undead controlled by the caster dies, it explodes, dealing 1d4 negative energy damage in a 15’ radius.

Not powerful enough, to be honest. Especially for a fourth level spell. Does he mean 1d4/caster level? Either that, or do it to a mass of undead. Also, the fact that has a duration. I cast a spell in hoping that they kill the undead during its duration...

I don't find that particularly useful. If it had a much different duration (instantaneous or 24 hours, and applied to a horde of undead), it'd be worth it.

Taste of Death
Range: Med
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell destroys an undead creature controlled by the caster. The caster gains 1 hit point per hit dice the creature possessed.

Not bad. It's sort of a waste. Undead costs more than a hp. It would be nicer if sacrificing undead would give you more.

Unlimited Reserve
Target: 1 summoned undead with HD = 1/lvl
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance:
Target summoned undead loses 2 hit points per round. When that undead dies, another undead of the same type rises with 1 fewer hit dice.

I don't quite get this spell. My undead loses 2 hit points per level, the rises up with one fewer hit die? It's another spell that has a greater drawback than it's worth. Even if they ignore it, their undead'll die and come back as a worse threat. It applies to Summoned Undead, but once the undead dies, it's gone, just like a summoned creature.

It doesn't work.

Rotting Pool
Range: Close
Saving Throw: Fort
Spell Resistance:
Target undead controlled by the caster can inflict a disease (filth fever, DC = spell DC) on a successful hit for 1 round per caster level.

Cool effect. The 1/round level on Filth Fever is nice, considering that Contagion is a 4th level spell.

Ichor Explosion
Range: Medium
Duration:1 rd/lvl
Saving Throw: Reflex/Fort
Spell Resistance:
This spell destroys an undead controlled by the caster, causing it to explode in a 15’ radius. All creatures within the radius must make a reflex save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds and a fortitude save or be blinded for 1 rd/lvl.

How does this spell have a duration?

I would recommend going through, making sure these spells are usable and properly leveled. Read through them, compare these spells to the appropriate level. See if they stack, if they're as powerful or more powerful or less powerful. Then fix it.

Triaxx
2007-12-31, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I think Ichor explosion should be a fourth level spell. The rest seem to fit about right though.

Scathach
2007-12-31, 11:35 PM
Not powerful enough, to be honest. Especially for a fourth level spell. Does he mean 1d4/caster level? Either that, or do it to a mass of undead. Also, the fact that has a duration. I cast a spell in hoping that they kill the undead during its duration...

I don't find that particularly useful. If it had a much different duration (instantaneous or 24 hours, and applied to a horde of undead), it'd be worth it.

Yep 1d4/level, I typo'd in the original post.

Not bad. It's sort of a waste. Undead costs more than a hp. It would be nicer if sacrificing undead would give you more.

I agree. However, it can make a handy attack spell against undead, which is why the level is a bit higher.

I don't quite get this spell. My undead loses 2 hit points per level, the rises up with one fewer hit die? It's another spell that has a greater drawback than it's worth. Even if they ignore it, their undead'll die and come back as a worse threat. It applies to Summoned Undead, but once the undead dies, it's gone, just like a summoned creature.

It doesn't work.

Okay, I knew there was something that seemed off when he presented it. Thank you for pointing out the obvious :smallredface:

Cool effect. The 1/round level on Filth Fever is nice, considering that Contagion is a 4th level spell.

I thought it was a 3rd level. Consider the level of this spell bumped by 1.

How does this spell have a duration?

The effect has a duration.

Neek
2008-01-01, 12:07 AM
Yep 1d4/level, I typo'd in the original post.

I see that. Sorry for missing that!

I agree. However, it can make a handy attack spell against undead, which is why the level is a bit higher.

I did not consider it to be have a positive attribute. Moving on then.

Okay, I knew there was something that seemed off when he presented it. Thank you for pointing out the obvious :smallredface:

No problem.

I thought it was a 3rd level. Consider the level of this spell bumped by 1.

I really wouldn't. I enjoy the way it's balanced to Contagion. It would be 4th level if gave them the disease full time, not just for rounds/level.

magic8BALL
2008-01-01, 02:41 AM
Look out for loopholes.

I have an undead minion...

I cast Unlimited Reserve on it. Then Unholy Pact.

When the combat starts I cast Ichor Explosion. Then, while all the level drained blinded people recover from being stuned, I'm bussy casting Unholy Pact and Ichor Explosion on my newest minion.

The spells themselves are fine, it's just people abuse core spells, what are they going to do with ones the make themselves..? Wrought, anybody?

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-01, 03:14 AM
Been playing a necromancer on Guild Wars lately?

Other than Rotting Pool and Ichor Explosion these are generally too weak. Leave Rotting Pool as it is, though; it's just right I think. Ichor Explosion is perhaps a bit too strong; make two saves against two potentially crippling effects as a second level spell? That's really pushing it, even if it costs you an undead.

Unholy Pact can be fixed in a couple of ways. Most of all, I recommend increasing the duration. If you've been playing Guild Wars, as I suspect, you need to keep in mind that DnD combat and Guild Wars combat is very, very different, and the short duration, single target GW enchantments aren't going to cut it here; I highly suggest you give it an hours/level or 24 hour duration or make it target a group of undead. Once you get the balance down, however, this becomes an excellent tool in a necromancer's arsenal; since the damage is negative energy, if you've got a hoard going on, you can have one die and in the process damage foes and heal your own undead minions. Also, slight nitpick; since undead are already dead, a better way to word it would be "is destroyed" instead of "dies."

Taste of Death simply isn't going to work as is because HP is cheap while undead are not. Perhaps instead of -just- HP, it give the caster a temporary profane bonus on, say, constitution, or strength. Also, I think you should make it give more HP per hitdice; 1d4, perhaps.

I think Unlimited Reserve would be okay if you added an extra effect when it dies or while it's dying. Perhaps when it dies, if Unlimited Reserve is still going, it releases putrid gas that forces a fort save or be sickened?

Scathach
2008-01-01, 01:30 PM
If you've been playing Guild Wars, as I suspect, you need to keep in mind that DnD combat and Guild Wars combat is very, very different, and the short duration, single target GW enchantments aren't going to cut it here;

I haven't. He has.

I think Unlimited Reserve would be okay if you added an extra effect when it dies or while it's dying. Perhaps when it dies, if Unlimited Reserve is still going, it releases putrid gas that forces a fort save or be sickened?

Could be interesting.