PDA

View Full Version : Boots O' Hustlin

SmileyX
2008-01-02, 11:57 PM
How much do you think an item that provides a constant Hustle effect, and expeditious retreat cost? would be in the form of boots, min caster lvl and all that, my guess is 24000, however thats without consulting other items.
Hustle: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm
Expeditious Retreat: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/expeditiousRetreat.htm
It gives +30ft to land move, and you can make a move action as a swift action.

Cuddly
2008-01-03, 12:04 AM
240,000gp, at least.

Ryuuk
2008-01-03, 12:48 AM
It would be a high price, there's no doubt about that. The magic item creation "rules" are more like guidelines and the DMG states that they are all subject to DM approval. The Boots you're suggesting would give you a larger movement boost then any item currently available that doesn't grant flight (and even then, it would make the flight that much stronger thanks to Hustle) and end up similar to the fabled Sword of True Striking.

Infinite Hustles seems a bit too much, though I honestly wouldn't even know where to place the price. You might be better off trying for a charges per day sort of thing, like in the MIC. Something like a continuous +10ft enhancement with the option of spending 1 of 3 charges on either Hustle or Expeditious Retreat as a swift action. This would seem much more reasonable for your 24000gp price.

Kristoss
2008-01-03, 12:54 AM
Cuddly is correct in that it will be prohibitively expensive or impossible. The hustle effect is pretty much an instantaneous effect your attempting to make into a constant effect.

Instead I recommend you copy the boots of speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) to create 10 uses per day hustle boots.

-=Cost calculation=-
Expeditious retreat cost caster level 1 times spell level 1 times 2 for duration in minutes times 2000 gp.
Boots of speed cost 12 000 times 2 for being most powerful ability in multi ability item.
Cost = 1 * 1 * 2000 * 2 + 12 000 * 2 = 28 000gp

SmileyX
2008-01-03, 01:16 AM
hmmmmmm so if i dropped the expeditious retreat effect, how much for boots that allow you to take a move action as a swift action? or for example if it replaces youre 5 ft step with essentially a full move? 35K a good starting point?
EDIT: with moving past 5ft. provoking attacks of opportunity where appropriate?
EDIT: sorry sometimes i get my thoughts all muddled, the entire 5ft. thing isnt needed since you cant move and take a 5ft step, i dont know why i suggested it :smallbiggrin:

icthius
2008-01-03, 08:16 AM
hmmmmmm so if i dropped the expeditious retreat effect, how much for boots that allow you to take a move action as a swift action? or for example if it replaces youre 5 ft step with essentially a full move? 35K a good starting point?
EDIT: sorry sometimes i get my thoughts all muddled, the entire 5ft. thing isnt needed since you cant move and take a 5ft step, i dont know why i suggested it :smallbiggrin:

A free extra move action every round is so unbelievably unbalanced that it's ridiculous to even consider.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-01-03, 09:51 AM
A free extra move action every round is so unbelievably unbalanced that it's ridiculous to even consider.

Quoted for truth. Seriously, that would be unnecessarily unbalanced.

Craig1f
2008-01-03, 10:18 AM

If you make it charges/day, instead of a constant thing, than it would be less than 12,000gp, if you compare it to the belt of battle from MIC.

Belt of battle provides +2 to initiative, and three charges. Burn one charge to make a move as a swift, action, 2 charge for a standard action, or 3 charges for a full action.

Although, this is widely considered the most broken item in the MIC.

SmileyX
2008-01-03, 11:34 PM
Hmmmm im being really stubborn here when faced with youre logic(just wanted to point that out....) however i really really want this item, may never use it, but i want it to be made. Personally i don't like the x/day thing, and i dont see anything to broken about move actions, there incredibly useful, but not game breaking. So what are the suggestions for this?

Boots O' Hustlin: 2/encounter take a move action, you cannot have taken a move action before this, or as normal a 5ft. step.

I chose two because it means you can get use out of them, but will most likely run out before the end of the encounter. So any ideas for a price for this?

Draz74
2008-01-04, 12:13 AM

Depends whether you already play with the Belt of Battle and consider it tolerable in power. :smalltongue: