PDA

View Full Version : Campaign setting (HELP) Kobold domination.

Xyk
2008-01-05, 04:59 PM
I am thinking about a new campaign setting. I don't write campaign settings often, I usually just make part of the area. Most of what I need is help with races.

BACKGROUND
There is one major continent called Rehk which is shared by humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, kobolds, goblins, and orcs. No halflings. Gnomes are pretty much a myth as they keep their ridiculously small and dying community and their inventions a secret to the best of their ability.
Kobolds hold the east half of the continent (called Boldika) and are all around not nice people. Kobolds are pretty much vying for total domination and their vast numbers aids to their success.Kobolds keep a vast wall and series of underground passages being very exclusive of who they allow into the 4 gates into a whole half of the continent. Kobolds produce the most amazing craftmanship, the only exception being the gnomes obscenely mastercrafted art which is exceedingly rare.
Dwarves hold the line as a smaller nation (called Thrahnkus) adjacent to the kobolds. The two are constantly warring and the kobolds are winning so far. The dwarven nation is basically a series of fortresses which reach underground. Dwarves are world-renowned as master militants.
Elves hold a dreamlike nation furthest to the west (Mythyrrin). Similiar to the depiction of elves in lotr. They refuse to be involved with any conflict, despite their obvious expertise.
Orcs hold the Northern territory through many tribes and are all-in-all very nomadic. There is no chief tribe, and orcs make up a vast majority of barbarians, though humans are not uncommon among orcish tribes.
Goblins hold the south with a democratic environment (Fremptilla). They are mostly decieving by nature but also more accepting of other races than other nations. Goblins are very anti-kobold however, claiming to have battled the kobolds before dwarves developed as a nation. Goblins love dogs. Savage dogs intrigue them the most and Goblins see them as the perfect physical being and have been taught to use them with the goblin intellect.
The central nation ("Deronitiany" pronounced Dair-oh-nish-any) Is mostly human. It is a center where anybody is welcome. It is currently on the edge of helping with the kobolds. It is currently undecided.

RACES
Human as described in phb.
Dwarves __+2 int, -2 dex, these are in addition to ability modifiers listed in the phb.
__The attack bonuses are changed to only kobolds.
__Magical ineptitude- Dwarves' natural magic resistance hinders them in their casting attempts. Any arcane magic cast by a dwarf has a doubled or +20% added to their arcane spell failure chance.
Elves as depicted in the phb.
Gnomes __+4 int, -2 str, +2 cha.
__small size
__speed 20
__lowlight-vision
__+2 saves vs illusion
__+2 DC to all spells through generations of magical breeding.
__+2 Listen
__+4 craft skills
__Spell-like abilities as the phb gnome.
__Favored class changed to wizard
__level adjustment+1
Goblins I don't know about them, they are really weak in the monster manual. these are speculations, all replacing the monster manual
__+2 dex, -2 str,.
__Small size
__speed 20
__darkvision 60
__+2 bluff, +2 diplomacy, +2 intimidate. Goblins are nasty liars and are very manipulative
__+2 ride and handle animal when dealing with canines of all sorts.
__kobold attack bonus as dwarf
__favored class rogue.
Orcs as in the monster manual minus light sensitivity
Kobolds These must be redone. In the races of dragon, they are totally weak. These I need the most help on.

Classes will include everything normally used in dnd but no ToB.

Inyssius Tor
2008-01-05, 05:55 PM
For kobolds, try this web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a), which gives them claws, bite, and Slight Build (which means they can act Tiny whenever it would benefit them--crazy good for those Tucker's-esque claustrophobic tunnels).

Nebo_
2008-01-05, 06:28 PM
Humans - No comment

Dwarves - Why do they get an int bonus? Do you get to choose which Arcane spell failure you take or is it whichever is higher?

Elves - No comment

Gnomes - Bad. That Int bonus is too high.

Goblins - Goblins in the MM are far from weak, if you were trying to buff them, it didn't work.

Orcs - No comment.

Kobolds- Take a look at the RoD web enhancement.

Xyk
2008-01-05, 06:42 PM
I kind of like the slight build. natural weapons for kobolds do not fit in with the campaign. This is kobolds so far.

• +2 Dexterity, –4 Strength, –2 Constitution. Kobolds are
weak and frail, but their size grants them quickness.
• Small: As a Small creature, a kobold gains a +1 size bonus
to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size
penalty on grapple checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide
checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use,
and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of
those of a Medium character.
• Humanoid (dragonblood, reptilian): Kobolds are humanoids
with the dragonblood and reptilian subtypes. For all
effects related to race, a kobold is considered a dragon.
• Kobold base land speed is 30 feet.
• +1 natural armor bonus.
• Darkvision: Kobolds can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise
like normal sight. Kobolds can function just fi ne with
no light at all.
• All kobolds add Craft (trapmaking) to their list of
class skills.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession
(miner), and Search checks.
• Light Sensitivity: Kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight
or within the radius of a daylight spell.
--Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
• Automatic Language: Draconic. Bonus Languages:
Common and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass kobold’s sorcerer
class does not count when determining whether she
takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

A normal kobold except the slight build. It still seems like the dwarves would slaughter them. I want my campaign to make sense.

As far as dwarves go, I meant to mention that they use genius tactics. Dwarves are military masterminds. I think what I did will make them smart fighters but not made to be casters by raising their int.

Gnomes are supposed to be legendary geniuses. Their inventions boggle minds. I put +4 because they aren't supposed to be balanced to humans. Gnomes I think should have some other things added and be LA 1.

I'm not really trying to make goblins better but different. These guys are now supposed to be decieving and more sophisticated. I'll try to change that to balance with a halfling or something.

Xyk
2008-01-07, 01:16 PM
goblins and gnomes have been updated. Kobolds still seem pretty weak and useless as anything but a rogue.

Xyk
2008-01-09, 08:23 PM
Bump. Seriously, I am totally unsure of most of the races particularly a good kobold, the gnome and goblins.