PDA

View Full Version : Tower Shield + Shield Bash???

shaggz076
2008-01-07, 09:27 AM
I have an idea for a character but I need to know if you can sheild bash with a tower shield. I don't have my books with me right now or I would look it up myself.

Matthew
2008-01-07, 09:31 AM
No you cannot. It is not listed on the Weapons Table and the entry does not contain any such specification. You could presumably use it as an Improvised Weapon, though.

MattKatt
2008-01-07, 09:31 AM
Under the entry of Shield, Tower, in the Players 3.5 handbook:

You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anyting else

nonsens
2008-01-07, 09:33 AM
you can't make a shield bash with a tower shield.

Shield, Tower
This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

As given from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#shieldTower)

damn, ninja'd

Prometheus
2008-01-07, 09:33 AM
No by RAW
I'd say take a -2 size penalty and a -4 improvised penalty unless the shield was intentionally built for bashing. That being said, it would do at least a size category of damage more.

shaggz076
2008-01-07, 09:43 AM
Awesome guys,

Thanks for the help. I will need to change up a couple of feats then but all is well.

Riffington
2008-01-07, 09:50 AM
None of the above should be construed to imply that you cannot shield bash with a medium shield in one hand while carrying a tower shield in the other hand.

MattKatt
2008-01-07, 10:06 AM
None of the above should be construed to imply that you cannot shield bash with a medium shield in one hand while carrying a tower shield in the other hand.
I had a dwarven defender who did that once...

shaggz076
2008-01-07, 10:22 AM
Ok so this is the final product I had come up with. It is a varient fighter which I had subbed his armor prof's for a +10 to speed. I think that would be a fair trade off. He is currently lvl 7 to keep him in line with our current game.

Str 18
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 14

87 HP
22 AC (10 + 8 shield + 4 Dex), 22 Touch, 18 Flat Footed
9 Fort
6 Ref
2 Will

Climb 7
Craft Weaponsmith 13
Handle Animal 12
Intimidate 12
Jump 11
Swim 0

Feats:
Tower Shield Prof
Shield Spec: Tower
Weapon Focus: Glaive
Shield Ward
Short Haft
Wpn Spec: Glaive
Monkey Grip
Lunging Strike

Weapon: Flaming Glaive +1 (Dmg - D10 +D6 flaming + 6)
Armor: Mithral Tower Shield +3

tyckspoon
2008-01-07, 12:49 PM
Ok so this is the final product I had come up with. It is a varient fighter which I had subbed his armor prof's for a +10 to speed. I think that would be a fair trade off. He is currently lvl 7 to keep him in line with our current game.

It's a very poor trade, actually- basic armor is just about the game's cheapest source of AC. Assuming you don't want your mobility hindered, you're looking at 4 AC you gave up (chain shirt; later, a mithral breastplate is good for 5 armor/ 5 possible Dex) in return for +10 speed. You can get the speed (in core, and off the top of my head) from a pair of boots of striding and springing (5,500 gp) or taking a level in Barbarian. The armor, on the other hand- getting it as:
Magical Armor Bonus: Bracers of Armor +4, 16,000 gp
Natural Armor: Amulet of Nat. Armor +4, 32,000
Deflection: Ring of Protection +4, 32,000

It's cheaper to break down into multiple smaller bonuses, like getting 2 or 3 +2 items instead of 1 +4, but they're all still more expensive than just using normal armor and getting an item to improve your speed instead.

The rest of the build is.. impressively sub-optimal. Your AC is low, your damage is relatively low (you forgot the enhancement bonus for the static damage, btw), your to-hit is low (you're taking enough penalties from the tower shield and Monkey Gripping to negate your Strength bonus), and you've spend so many feats making this sort of work that you don't have space for any of the things that make reach weapons work really well. You've got Dex 18 and a reach weapon; Combat Reflexes, at a minimum, should be in there somewhere.

shaggz076
2008-01-07, 01:25 PM
"The rest of the build is.. impressively sub-optimal. Your AC is low, your damage is relatively low (you forgot the enhancement bonus for the static damage, btw), your to-hit is low (you're taking enough penalties from the tower shield and Monkey Gripping to negate your Strength bonus), and you've spend so many feats making this sort of work that you don't have space for any of the things that make reach weapons work really well. You've got Dex 18 and a reach weapon; Combat Reflexes, at a minimum, should be in there somewhere."

Ok first question I have to ask is what type of powergaming universe do you play in where a 22 ac is low at 7th level with only a shield? (I think the highest ac right now is 26 and that is a knight in addy full plate with a heavy shield.)

Second question is when does a tower shield impose penalties to you attack roll?

Third I am guessing you mean my +1 from the magic ehancement (Thanks, my bad)

And lastly, combat reflexes will most likely be put in when I get a chance.(Probably 9th level)

shaggz076
2008-01-07, 01:27 PM
"The rest of the build is.. impressively sub-optimal. Your AC is low, your damage is relatively low (you forgot the enhancement bonus for the static damage, btw), your to-hit is low (you're taking enough penalties from the tower shield and Monkey Gripping to negate your Strength bonus), and you've spend so many feats making this sort of work that you don't have space for any of the things that make reach weapons work really well. You've got Dex 18 and a reach weapon; Combat Reflexes, at a minimum, should be in there somewhere."

Ok first question I have to ask is what type of powergaming universe do you play in where a 22 ac is low at 7th level with only a shield? (I think the highest ac right now is 26 and that is a knight in addy full plate with a heavy shield.)

Second question is when does a tower shield impose penalties to you attack roll?

Third I am guessing you mean my +1 from the magic ehancement (Thanks, my bad)

And lastly, combat reflexes will most likely be put in when I get a chance.(Probably 9th level)

Admiral Squish
2008-01-07, 01:37 PM
If you get shield spikes on a tower shield, and charge, wouldn't that make for a pretty good weapon? Heck, get two, and you're a walking wall in front of the rest of your party. No speed penalty, +8 AC, though a -20 armor check penalty would be an issue. Still: Two tower shields, spiked, a breath weapon or similar, and battle plate. With a dex of 12, that's 28 AC, minimum. Add on magic bonuses, and you have one crazy AC, and an attack.

tyckspoon
2008-01-07, 01:41 PM

The kind where your AC isn't much higher than you could have achieved at first level (drop the enhancement on the shield, put on a chain shirt, you're actually up one point.) and where CR 6 and 7 monsters of the sort you are theoretically capable of fighting have to-hit bonuses in the area of +10 to +16. Any melee monster will be able to hit your character at least as easily as you can hit it, which means you have low AC, especially if you intend to be taking a tanking role in combat.

Any time you fight with it- check the specific entry for Tower Shields in the Armor section of the equipment listings. Important sentence reproduced here for your convenience.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.