PDA

View Full Version : The Statue Shatters (Eberron Round-Robin IC Chapter 1)



Pages : [1] 2

Xian
2008-01-07, 06:44 PM
Sharn is alive with activity, as it always is, as people from every walk of life are milling around their daily business in the City of Towers. A warforged haggles with a mechanic over parts and labor, presumably for work on the warforged itself; a distraught mage dashes across one of the bridges after his flying homonculus that's stuffing its face with a melon of some kind, and which looks for all the world like someone cross-bred a monkey with a parrot; on a bridge intersection, a small group of minstrels are plucking out a bouncy tune that evokes the image of a large, charismatic, plucky yellow land-bird.

Under the current of organized chaos is a common thread of discussion that can be heard by those who pay attention. It's been all of the talk about town for the past several weeks. Someone, somehow, actually broke into the Museum of Antiquities at Morgrave University and managed to filch the headless statue on display there, the one that some travelers had retrieved from The Labyrinth. The authorities, particularly at the University, are beside themselves trying to figure out what had happened to their artifact and how to get it back. Headless it may have been, but it was still a one-of-a-kind and it was not cheaply acquired.

Who had taken it? Maybe some unscrupulous collector. How had they taken it? The thing weighed a ton! What do they want to do with it? It's too hideous to want to show off. Where did they take it? Maybe it was still in Sharn, hiding in plain sight.

All at once, everything stopped. The warforged and the mechanic stopped their quarrel; the mage, with his homonculus by the tail, paused his return to his lab; the minstrels laid down their instruments. Every being in Sharn at once and simultaneously was overcome with a horrific sense of dread, and turned to look to the northwest. In the sky, a pillar of energy colored of the blackest night shot up into the sky. Even through the towered skyline, every one could see it, even those down in the Cogs, as if they were seeing it with both their mind's eye as well as their physical ones; and everyone could see that it was coming from the middle of the Labyrinth in the Demon Wastes. Somehow, all knew that the whole world was witness to this event and each could see it as clearly as the other.

A pregnant pause held the city as the black pillar increased in size; then, as if releasing all of its energy, exploded at its peak. Seven streaks of energy shot out from this explosion, ripping like scars of night through the azure sky, and at once all were again struck with the same feeling of dread. Folks began to turn and look at each other, knowing that they had all shared the same experience. They began to discuss what they had seen. With this second dread came new knowledge; all suffered visions, prophetic, promising, implying. They varied in the details from person to person, but they were all unified in this: it was the statue. It had been reunited with its head, and with its completion, death had been released. A death of the most foul kind, one that could not be touched, one that would leave the body intact...but would destroy the soul forever. And it would destroy the souls of the world.

Party
You have received visions beyond what most folk have. The seven streaks were part of the statue, shattered by the energies released with the freeing of this living oblivion. You see yourself standing, a part of a circle of seven, in front of the fountain on Breland Spire in front of Morgrave University: three tall black-haired men, two large, one shimmering with eldritch energy, another with quick hands and an easy smile, and the third smaller with an air of finesse and adventure; two warforged, the "short" one carrying the gift of music, the "tall" one carrying the gift of creation; a Kalashtar who shares a bond with the tall warforged and wears a look of resolve against an unseen opponent; and an elf, the smallest of the group, with hawk-like eyes and tuned reflexes.

Each carries a dark artifact, a piece of the shattered statue. They bring them together and the monstrous relief is once again made whole. Five step back and direct white energy from a unseen sources to the demonic statue, purging its dark onyx to brightest alabaster white. The sixth forces a dark, shapeless evil into the now-brilliant statue. The seventh then plunges a blade of blazing gold into its center. There is an arcane riot of light and the pure vessel and its unholy prisoner are gone.

Celvic
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is among the glaciers and tundra of Frostfell, north of Khorvaire.
Fifth
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is in the Mournlands of Khorvaire, in the fallen city of Metrol.
Havon
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is in the Cyclopean ruins of Xen'Drik.
Jo'natar
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is in Reidra near the border of Adar of Sarlona.
Mirror
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is on Seren Island of Argonessen.
Rarinn
In the explosion of the dark pillar, you see clearly the final resting spot of one dark shard. It is in the jungles of Shae Cairdal of Arenal.

Mantid
2008-01-07, 10:15 PM
Celvic stands at one of the railings at the edge of tower street gazing out toward the faded pillar. "So this is it," he says loud enough to receive questioning glances from the shaken city folk nearby. This was the threat the Sovereigns wished him to fight and, given the words of the seer and the vision he had just been granted, he was not meant to fight along in this holy quest. He did not know where five of the others were, but there was one he was certain he could find. He would trust the gods to bring them together in due time.

Spinning around, Celvic marches his way toward the shop of a certain Warforged he had met only a short while ago.

Goblin Music
2008-01-07, 10:34 PM
So this is it? Rarinn laughs. Rarinn glances around the square he is standing in, looking for the other six.

Asmodeus
2008-01-07, 11:39 PM
Inside the Bronze Buckler, the warforged artificer looked around the room, wondering exactly what had just happened. The warforged had never slept before, so he didn't know how to compare the vision to a dream. He rarely dabbled with illusions, or divination magics, but those seemed to be the most likely culprit.

He immediately sets about examining himself for any signs of magical altering of his senses. With his mind and will, he reached out to grasp at the web of magical strands that created every fiber of his life force. He reflected for a moment, on how many times, he had plucked these very same strings to evoke some magical effect on himself, or other warforged. By changing the pattern in this intricate web in the slightest manner, he could ignite his fists with fire, or turn himself invisible for a short period of time. Of course, the natural pattern would always reassert itself eventually. And he had to work quickly to detect any tampering before that natural pattern erased any evidence that might exist to explain what this vision was, or what caused it.

[roll0]
DC 15 to detect magical effects over myself.

fireinthedust
2008-01-08, 12:16 AM
Jo'Natar stopped as the beam struck him. His first thought was to weakness, his own, that for a moment he had let his guard down. He hustled to loose himself in the crowd, make his way to the side of the sqare he was in. He tried to keep an eye out on the crowd, for who might be watching him.

((notice check?))

OOC: do I recognize Fifth in the Party vision? If he's still in his shop, and not on the street, that would lead me to go get him. Otherwise, if he or Celvic are there, Jo'Natar might see them.

manaleak34
2008-01-08, 01:57 AM
Havon stands up quickly from the bar table after having some sort of weird hallucination. A few of the patrons stared for a moment but quickly returned to their drinks after Havon took a seat slightly embarrassed. 'Well that was a odd one' Havon thought to himself. 'It's not like I've had that many drinks.'

What concerned him most was the flashback to Xen'Drik which he had returned from earlier this week just having finished an expedition. While he had never seen the particular area in his vision he could easily tell from the style of the architecture that it was part of the massive Cyclopean ruins. Havon was starting to really hope that this wasn't some horrible Drow curse placed upon him for some unknown crime he committed to some random godess he didn't know.

He tried to ignore the whole thing but that and along with the general sense of foreboding that seemed to have gripped the town just now. While he certainly couldn't decipher what any of it really meant he had a gut feeling that he was somehow supposed to meet with the people he had seen within this dream or whatever in world it was supposed to be. Havon finished his drink and placed a few silver coins on the table and quietly left the Bar and headed into the twisting streets of Sharn.

Asmodeus
2008-01-08, 09:19 AM
Inside the Bronze Buckler, the warforged owner of the shop completes his check, and determines that he is operating under his own free will. That doesn't explain the vision though. And it certainly doesn't change the fact that he has a customer waiting.

Looking over to the door, he sees the other warforged who had just came into his shop. He could instantly tell that this fellow was not a standard model. He had been customized with mithral plating, and his equipment... the jeweled rapier and crossbow, were obviously crafted with the utmost attention to detail. But neither of these facts were enough to make this new face unique. The strangest detail of all, this warforged was not marked. Almost every warforged was created to be owned by some nation, and was branded by that nation's mark, to identify the owner. After the war's end, several warforged removed these marks, but still, this creature before him appeared to have never been marked at all. And there was one more thing that made the entire situation odd. Even though they had never met, there was a strange sense of familiarity. The artificer couldn't quite place it, until he remembered the vision.

"So this is it! You were in that vision I had, weren't you?"

Xian
2008-01-08, 11:38 AM
((OOC:
Fifth does not detect any magical effects on himself. The cause of the visions has come and gone without leaving any sort of residue or lingering side effects.
Also, are you speaking with Mirror, or just another warforged that walked into your shop?

Fireinthedust (and everyone else), any characters that have met prior, such as Fifth and Jo'Natar, will have recognized each other as being in the vision.))

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-08, 10:04 PM
Only because he'd seen another of his kind, had the gleaming mithral warforged dared to remove the hat which normally disguised him. A few moments of staring by the other warforged made him wonder if his initial assessment had been presumptuous.

He shifted his weight onto his back foot as if retreating half a step towards the door he'd just entered. When the other warfoged spoke to him, he froze.

"If you'll pardon my asking, are these visions an unusual event? I hate to seem overly inquisitive, but my existence has been one odd occurrence after another, so I don't know what to make of it. I can offer no explanations, but only offer my assistance."

The warforged extended his hand in greeting. It is the way he'd seen humans greet one another, so he figured it was the proper thing to do.

"I'm... I'm not sure. No one has ever called me anything before. Perhaps you could call me..."

The warforged began to look himself over, trying to find some sort of clue to an identity he's not even sure he's ever had.

"Call me Mirror."

fireinthedust
2008-01-08, 11:19 PM
Jo'natar bolted through Sharn, then, running down steps and over bridges until he got to the Bronze Buckler.

As he runs, the Kalashtar's mind races. That was Fifth in my vision, and Celvic. I can only hope Celvic gets the same idea and heads to the Buckler.
This vision wasn't a dream, and I don't think it was an attack by the Dreaming Dark. If so... best to be prepared.

Jo makes his way carefully around the Buckler, scouting out whether any are spying on the shop. He would have spent some time looking for the hiding spots about the towers and such, and from hiding he checks each one. When he's sure there's no one watching them, he'll proceed to the back of the shop, preparing an action to draw his mindblade for combat.

He'll knock on the back door, the knock he uses when he comes by the shop.

manaleak34
2008-01-08, 11:45 PM
Havon seems to wanders aimlessly through Sharn almost subconsciously walking towards the mainly Warforge area of the city which was mostly filled with number of factories which often hired Warforge and many repair shops. It was less populated as some of the other streets but still had plenty of people on the streets.

He notices up ahead a sign for the Bronze Buckler, one of the many repair shops within the district. He take a quick look around for anything interesting.

Spot Check: (1d20+1) [roll0]

Mantid
2008-01-09, 12:04 AM
So this is it? Rarinn laughs.

Celvic stops and turns to the elf. "Yes," he says with steel in his voice, "this is it. The Sovereigns have blessed me with a vision of how to end this evil we have all just witnessed. You should do well not to laugh at their protection or their servant."

Celvic shakes his head and turns around, taking a few steps. "Laugh all you wish at lesser matters," he stops tells the elf over his shoulder. "Rest easy knowing the gods' watch over this world. As for me, I will continue to be their hand in all things. And now I have six companions to gather and a shard to find."

With that declaration, Celvic sets his face forward and resumes his march to the Buckler.

Goblin Music
2008-01-09, 12:11 AM
Rarinn looks at Celvic, grins, and then catches him up
So these "companions" do you know what they look like? Rarinn asks while they walk

Asmodeus
2008-01-09, 09:36 AM
The shop-owner was about to reply when there came an unusual rapping at the door. "Hmm, another customer?

Mirror, was it? Please, come in, and have a seat. Or stand, if you prefer. I'll deal with this customer and then we can talk more."

He opens the door, expecting to see another warforged here for repairs, but is surprised to see Jonatar. "Oh! Hello, Jonatar. I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon. Please, do come in."

Inside, he introduces Mirror to Jonatar and vice versa.

"So, what brings you here, friend?"

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-09, 09:59 AM
Mirror watched Jo'Natar with obvious unease. The few flesh things he'd met had seemed content to scheme against one another with plots that seemed to always end in violence. He'd seen it first hand under the streets of Sharn and for nearly two months he'd been forced to live that way. Was he frightened or just paranoid? Either way, he didn't want to remain seated and vulnerable while a non-warforged was in his presence, so he chose to stand, saying nothing.

Xian
2008-01-09, 01:50 PM
Havon notices nothing standing out from the usual hustle and bustle of the city, though a definite melancholy is on the faces of many. He does notice, however, that the Bronze Buckler does seem to be having a larger rush of clientele than would normally be expected. Perhaps there's a sale?

fireinthedust
2008-01-09, 11:51 PM
Jo slips inside quickly and quietly, sizes up Mirror, nodding in greeting, and glances quickly around the shop.

I saw you today, friend. In a vision. Did you see the sight above the city? I great pillar in the sky, firing rays from it. One struck me and I saw... myself, holding a shard of a statue. You held one also, and Celvic, and four others. I saw a great battle, some kind of darkness... and I saw where the shard I was to gather was hidden. My... Natar's homeland, Sarlona, in the mountains between Adar and Riedra. I know I sound crazy, but did you see anything like this yoruself? Does it sound familiar?

ooc: does Jo recognize Mirror from the vision?

Mantid
2008-01-10, 01:48 AM
Rarinn looks at Celvic, grins, and then catches him up
So these "companions" do you know what they look like? Rarinn asks while they walk


Celvic give the elf a sidelong stare as he walks. At length he relies, "Two men, two warforged, a kalashtar, and an elf, if you must know. But you already knew that, didn't you.."

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 08:47 AM
The warforged listens to Jonatar. His expressionless face never changes, but he does tilt his head forward slightly as he listens. Perhaps this is a warforged gesture of concern.

"I did have the same vision. Or a similar one at least. I seem to recall that a shard fell into the Mournland.

Now that I think of it, there was someone who resembled you in the vision as well. This is too strange to be simple coincidence.

In my vision, there was another warforged besides myself."

He turns towards Mirror. "Mirror, did you have the same vision? What do you make of it?"

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-10, 10:21 AM
"I can't say I made anything of them," Mirror responded matter-of-factly to the other warforged. "Without a suitable context, the places and events really have no meaning." Mirror struggled for a moment on how best to refer to Jo'Natar's vision, having never in his existence seen one of his kind. "Though I can say this, I saw no mountains as this flesh-being described, but only a great cavern. There were some other flesh-beings, humans I think they call themselves. Though, not like any I've seen here. Let me show you."

Mirror stood up and donned his magic hat, concentrating on the human figure he'd seen at the center of his vision. His form was washed over by the illusion of tanned human skin, painted with tribal tattoos. Strange bones encircled his neck and were braided into his long black hair. The illusion complete, Mirror resumed speaking.

"There where others in a semi-circle around this one, they were kneeling with their foreheads touching the ground. The one in the middle was holding the dark shard in both hands and looking up at it. Perhaps they hold it in reverence," conjectured Mirror.

Mirror mimicked the pose of the lead human though he had nothing in his hands. Once he was done, he stood up and plucked on the the bones from his hair. Instantly it turned back into a hat, and Mirror was as he originally was once more.

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 10:42 AM
The shop-owner marveled for a moment at Mirror's display. He gave a moment's though to see if he had any clues about where this tribe may be located, and shared any theories he could come up with. {See knowledge check below}

Afterwards, he says to Mirror "That is a fascinating piece of clothing. Would you mind if I examined it for a moment?"

If Mirror complies, he'll spend a minute examining the hat for magical properties.

[roll0] to know about any human tribes who might worship an arcane artifact like the stone shard.

[roll1] DC 15 check to detect magic within the hat, if Mirror allows it.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-10, 01:53 PM
Fifth (RE: Barbarian Tribes)
Thinking about the shard itself, you can come up with nothing, after all it's a new artifact, whereas your knowledge would extend to those more well known. Just when you think you've reached a dead end, you remember that this artifact is actually part of a demon. Maybe it has something to do with The Demon Wastes? You aren't very knowledgeable about that region of Khorvaire however.

Mirror extends his arm holding the hat towards the other warforged. Mirror loosens his grasp as the other takes it in his own hand to examine it.

Fifth (RE: HAT)
You'll figure out anything about a hat of disguise your ability would tell you.

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 02:06 PM
"Hmm... interesting. It is definitely magical. Likely of the school of Illusion, or Transmutation, judging by the effect. If I were to guess, I'd say its a Hat of Disguise. I've never created one myself, but I know how. I could identify it to be sure, but that would take me an hour, and I doubt we have that kind of time to spare. Hopefully later on though..." he explains as he hands the hat back to Mirror.

"May I ask where you got it from?"

{OOC: The only thing the Artificer Knowledge ability grants me is that it is magical. Everything else is just inferred from actually seeing it in action. I could add a spellcraft check to identify which spell it is based on, but I figure its a common enough item that I could recognize it.}

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-10, 03:53 PM
Astonishingly enough, Mirror answers thusly as if his answer were compltely ordinary and expected, "Everything I currently possess, I aquired in a similar way. In the bowels of Sharn, I took it from a flesh-being who it appeared would have no further use of it given his condition. It seems that is what humans do, and I was trying to blend in at the time, so I played along. I didn't even realize that it was magical until I removed it from his head and the human suddenly became taller, thinner, and had more elven features."

fireinthedust
2008-01-10, 10:52 PM
Jo watches the warforged gossip about items with some fascination. Strange creatures, with such focus on function, on devices.

Amazing. The two of you... and I don't even know your names. Friend, I apologize for not asking, but I tend to think intutively rather than by words. The word sword says nothing unless you understand the design and function of what the word points to.
I saw also a fountain, the one in front of Morgrave University. If I guess right, perhaps the others from the vision will head there. Then again, it could be a trap. Unless Celvic intends to come here directly... I wonder if you two would wish to look into this with me?


ooc: can we assume Celvic and any he brings with him arrive? Or should we aim for the fountain?

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 11:09 PM
{OOC: I'll not assume he arrives until he posts that he has arrived.}

The warforged turns to Jonatar. "You know his name, don't you? I introduced you to eachother. Well, his name is Mirror.

As for the fountain, I saw it in my vision as well. Its the only starting point we have, so I think going there is a good idea. I'll gather my gear."

fireinthedust
2008-01-10, 11:20 PM
Jo'Natar nods. Ah, Mirror. Of course. I wondered, when he said your name, but with all the objects in this shop and your people's tradition of names for items, I didn't wish to assume.
And your name, friend? If we find the others, it would be useful to know.

His own gear collected, Jo'Natar looks out the shop door and the street outside, carefully keeping an eye out for pursuit. When the warforged leave, he moves with them.

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 11:24 PM
"I have no name."

fireinthedust
2008-01-10, 11:38 PM
Jo's brows quirk. Oh. I thought that was unusual even for warforged. The treaty of Thronehold names warforged persons under the law. What did you sign the deed to this store with, other than your name?

Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 11:58 PM
"Actually, warforged were never named by their creators. When we were considered little more than property, there was no need to name us. Some of us were even given serial numbers. The closest my creator ever came to naming me was telling me that I was the Fifth out of a batch of 40 exact same models.

But even before Thronehold, we began to acquire names, either from other human soldiers who we fought with, or selected ourselves. I've never found a name that I particularly felt attached to, so I've never taken one. Anytime a signature was needed, I would draw my Ghulra."

He takes off his apron, folds it carefully and puts it on the work-bench. He begins drawing out his gear and equipping himself for adventure.

"Mirror, you will come with us, won't you? You were in the vision too, so this certainly must involve your fate."

manaleak34
2008-01-11, 02:05 AM
While it certainly didn't make any sort of sense to him Havon had some sort of gut feeling that he should that he should be visiting The Bronze Buckler. He wasn't sure why, the shop didn't seem too particularly special compared to many of the other repair shops in the district, the only thing that seem to stood out for him was that it was a bit more people visiting today. Either way he knew that a warforged was the owner of the shop so at the very least could get information about where he could find the warforged he had seen in the vision.

Havon calmly entered through the front door of the shop but quickly stops a feet in front of the door when he sees the two warforged and a human that seemed to be different somehow but Havon couldn't put his finger on it.

"Afternoon" Havon says calmly to the three. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but have I met any of you before?" He says trying his best to sound normal when he realizes that this people seem very familiar to those seem within his vision.

Asmodeus
2008-01-11, 08:52 AM
The artificer finishes gathering his gear just as the newcomer enters.

"Not that I can recall, Sir.

You do look familiar, though. Have you ever purchased something from me before? I'm afraid that I'm going to be closing the shop a bit early today."

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-11, 09:29 AM
[color=Green]"Mirror, you will come with us, won't you? You were in the vision too, so this certainly must involve your fate."

"I have not place to be, nor anywhere to call home anymore, so I really have no reason not to."

Asmodeus
2008-01-11, 09:42 AM
"Excellent. Well, I'm ready. Lets be off!

Sir, I am deeply sorry, but I must ask you to leave. I must close my shop now." Assuming everyone complies, he'll lock the door behind him and start heading towards Breland Spire and Morgrave University.

Mantid
2008-01-11, 07:34 PM
Just after the owner of the Silver Buckler asks for his guests to leave, Celvic barges in, acclaiming "Gentlemen, we have been appointed our duties!"

He stands in the door way for a moment studying the assembled crowd inside the shop. "Ah good," he says, "I see most of us have already been guided here."

Goblin Music
2008-01-11, 09:00 PM
interesting Rarinn says

Asmodeus
2008-01-11, 10:32 PM
The tiny shop is obviously getting very crowded now. The owner looks perplexed as Celvic bursts in. "Olladra's Bloody Nose!

Celvic! I'm glad to see you but I'm afraid that we were just about to leave." He has a pleading tone to his voice but when Celvic starts rambling about how everyone was guided here, the warforged just sighs and says, "Alright, fine. But if we are going to use my shop at a base of operations, can we at least move to the back room where there is more space?

I assume your friend is somehow involved in all this?" He says the last part while looking at the stranger who came in with Celvic. He seems to have forgotten about Haven for the moment.

The warforged opens up a door to the back room, where he keeps much of the raw materials he needs for crafting. There are crates available for people to sit on, and enough room that people aren't jamming elbows into eachother's ribs... or metal plating, as the case may be. "Come in here, and we'll discuss our duties and appointed course of action. Why don't you start by telling us who your friend is, and then explain what duties you think we've been appointed?"

fireinthedust
2008-01-12, 12:09 PM
The closest my creator ever came to naming me was telling me that I was the Fifth out of a batch of 40 exact same models.

But even before Thronehold, we began to acquire names, either from other human soldiers who we fought with, or selected ourselves. I've never found a name that I particularly felt attached to, so I've never taken one. Anytime a signature was needed, I would draw my Ghulra."

Jo listens, nodding. Well, I wonder if some name wouldn't do. I suppose... the name "Friend" would be inoffensive? Maybe a bit optimistic, but it's served so far.

Jo follows the crowd into the back room. He moves near Celvic as the others enter, touching him on the back of the arm to get his attention. He speaks loud enough for everyone to hear him as everyone gathers there.
I assume you and these others are here for the same reason I am. I don't know about the rest of you, but has anyone else considered this might be a trap?

Jo is of average height, with long black hair and sharp features for a human. His eyes are a blue bordering on purple, and he wears the travel-stained clothes of a tracker.

Mantid
2008-01-12, 02:25 PM
I assume you and these others are here for the same reason I am. I don't know about the rest of you, but has anyone else considered this might be a trap?


"That may well be," Celvic replies loudly. "But I know that Dol Dorm will give the strength to overcome to those who are right before the Sovereigns. Besides, if some unknown force seeks my life, I would rather confront it than hide and wait for its next attempt. As it stands, this vision is our only lead to that unknown foe."

manaleak34
2008-01-13, 12:20 AM
"The thing which concerns me is why I would get some sort of vision like this. I'm just a sword for hire, from what I've heard this all seems a little different than your normal expedition and I'm wondering what I would have to do with this." Havon says taking a seat at one of the boxes. "It also doesn't help that I don't understand what any of it was supposed to mean except for me trying to find the people in this room."

Asmodeus
2008-01-13, 08:15 AM
Looking around the room, the store-owner comes to an odd conclusion. "There are six of us here. There were seven people in the vision.

If only chance was so benevolent as to let the people from the vision come together as easily as this little group seems to have. Wouldn't that be wonderful?" Apparently, he hasn't made the connection yet.

Turning to Havon he says "So, are you from around these parts, Sir Mercenary?" as casually as if they had just met at a local coffee shop, rather than under circumstances of world-shattering importance.

fireinthedust
2008-01-13, 10:02 AM
Jo turns away from the group for a moment, looking through the door to the front of the shop. He turns back.


Havon says taking a seat at one of the boxes. "It also doesn't help that I don't understand what any of it was supposed to mean except for me trying to find the people in this room."

Maybe. I was about to go check out the fountain in front of Morgrave. That was where we were using the shards of the crystal, remember. I suggest that be where we go next. Whoever, or whatever, is trying to get us together left us only that other clue.
So who's coming with me?

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-14, 07:45 AM
Mirror really didn't understand much, but he knew he didn't want to become separated from the other warforged. Too many of these flesh beings to make separation comfortable. Mirror looks over at the owner of the Bronze Buckler and directs his question to him alone.

"Are we going?"

Asmodeus
2008-01-14, 08:39 AM
The shop owner shrugs his shoulders... A very human gesture to come from a construct. "I'm waiting for Celvic to introduce his friend and explain what duties he thinks we've been appointed to do. I think afterwards, we will head to the fountain. Of course, I could be mistaken."

Goblin Music
2008-01-14, 09:56 AM
Rarinn frowns at Fifth I am Rarinn he declares

Asmodeus
2008-01-15, 08:37 AM
"Its a pleasure to make your aquaintence Mr. Rarinn. What brings you to my shop?"

fireinthedust
2008-01-15, 02:45 PM
Jo hides a smile at the warforged's question, remembering his own curiosity exploring the customs of Sharn and the rest of the world. The tracker senses the shop owner is much less intuitive than even an average Kalashtar, his thinking being methodical and logical without the ability to take intuitive leaps. Jo translates for the Warforged (both "..." and Mirror, if Mirror needs it).

Friend, I think Rarin is here for the same reason we all are. The vision. Celvic, a servant of the Sovreign Host, believes they sent the vision, and if I understand him, he wants to gather the peices together. Rarin is his companion, and I believe he also had the vision, as well all these others have had. As for duties, Celvic means to say that we have a duty to the Sovreigns to follow their vision and collect the shards of crystal. While we could ignore it, I think we might as well seek them out. If the vision did come from the demon wastes, it could mean death... er, un-making and inertness, for us all.

Jo watches the Warforged's reactions, even as he hears his own voice saying the things he's just said. He thinks fast, while speaking. This is insane, and too bold a trap for my enemies to try for no reason. I must get to the bottom of this, find out why they want me looking for a Shard... these humans, elves and warforged are caught up in all this somehow. All the more reason not to let them out of my sight!

Asmodeus
2008-01-15, 02:52 PM
The shop owner listens to Jonatar quietly, for a change. "Well, I certainly don't want to die.

So, whats our first step? The fountain, yes? Shall we be off then?"

fireinthedust
2008-01-15, 02:59 PM
Indeed. The fountain is where I saw the final battle happen, but with visions I think we may see the fountain as a clue of some sort.
Jo'Natar scouts out the way for the rest of the party. He takes glances back for the ones he's met before ("..." and Celvic), as well as keeping an eye out for the ones he's just met.

When he gets to the Bridge/walkway, etc. leading to the fountain, he's still on his guard.

ooc: preparing to create his mindblade, and looking from shadow to shadow for attackers of any sort.

Asmodeus
2008-01-15, 04:10 PM
The shop owner followed along after stowing his everbright lantern in his pack and locking up his shop. It was a long journey from the district of Granite Walls in Lower Central all the way to the University District in Upper Menthis. And it seemed even longer with the warforged talking the entire way, to anyone who would listen. He talked about everything from the weather, to magical theory, to philosophical debate, to whether the hippogriff or the pegasus, or some other beast would win the Race of Eight Winds this year.

"Personally, I'm betting on the Gargoyle this year. Its going to be an exciting race!" he comments, mostly to himself. He appears to be ready to begin a long-winded explanation of why the Gargoyle is going to win, when he notices that Jonatar has slowed down at the last bridge to the fountain. He quiets down and waits to see what will happen.

Xian
2008-01-15, 05:08 PM
The top Breland Spire holds a wonderful Commons for Morgrave University, a large park that adds a wonderfully contrasting touch of nature to the industry of the city all around it. In the elbow of the L-shaped park resides a beautiful fountain that streams sprays of water day and night. Professors and students alike visit the area to study, relax, socialize and even seek inspiration that the setting may provide. The fountain is deserted today, save for one small figure. A gnome stands there waiting and sees the group standing on the far side of the bridge. Noticing Jo'Natar's hesitation, he gestures impatiently for all to come near.

As everyone gathers around (with nothing leaping from the shadows or from under the bridge to attack Jo'Natar), the gnome begins to speak. "Took you long enough; a bit high strung aren't you, kalashtar?" he says, quite clearly in a snit. "One, two...there's only six. There's supposed to be a seventh. Bah, no bother. If he's not here, that's his problem. Anyways, down to business," he blusters on, barreling over any attempts to get a word in edge-wise. "You're all here because of that event that just took place and are all involved in a vision that showed the salvation of the world or some such. I work for Marrix d'Cannith, and he saw a vision that involved the six of you. He saw this place, rightly assumed you would congregate here, and sent me to gather you. He knows about the shattered statue and has a job for you. I can't tell you much more, but he has all of the details." With this he pulls a furled scroll out of his pocket. "This is a particular Teleport spell that will take us all to the meeting place he has in mind. Does anyone have any objections, questions, or other such nonsense before we go?"

fireinthedust
2008-01-15, 08:51 PM
Jo'Natar takes a good look at the Gnome, at what he's wearing and any items he has on him. A gnome working for House Cannith? Perhaps also an agent of the Dreaming Dark, setting out to slay a Kalashtar and other mortals who might stand in their way.
In particular, Jo was surprised that the gnome knew he was Kalashtar, something Jo took pains to disguise. This vision had already laid bare his true nature to these others, and the idea that House Cannith could eaves drop was alarming at least. However, the more likely reason was some ability to tell one quori spirit by another: a dreaming dark agent! Jo promised himself the gnome would die first if a trap was sprung.

Actually, why don't you toss us the scroll? If you are who you say you are, you've no tricks up your sleeve to hide. If the scroll passes the test, we'll go from there.

When/If the gnome passes the test, Jo catches the scroll and hands it to the warforged. He whispers so the rest of the group can hear him Friend, can you discern the true make of this scroll? Where does it send us? Can any of you also scan this, to tell us about this scroll?

Asmodeus
2008-01-15, 11:10 PM
If the gnome complies, the warforged will be very surprised, but he will examine the scroll to the best of his ability to verify its purpose.

"Even if I can confirm that its a teleportation scroll, that still don't give me a destination. That is determined by the caster."

manaleak34
2008-01-16, 01:18 AM
"This seems a tad bit convenient for me." Havon quickly whispers to Jo'Natar after he is finished talking to the Gnome. "I've heard talk that many more people than just us saw some sort of vision here in Sharn. I'm sure anyone could had a similar vision to be able to take advantage of us and get their hands on these artifacts. I think we might be best off trying to handle this ourselves."

Havon also carefully watches and listens to gnome to try and determine his true intentions.

Sense Motive Check(1d20+9): [roll0]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-16, 09:39 AM
(OOC: Sorry all, backtracking a bit. Hopefully it won't change much.)

As the group prepared to leave the shop, Mirror donned his hat and thought about the human disguise he'd worn many times under the streets of Sharn. Once the illusion coalesced around him, Mirror waited for the others to be ready.

Once the others were ready, he followed, but stayed close the the other warforged. He will saying nothing and try to avoid bringing attention to himself. As the group approaches the gnome at the fountain he will continue to keep to himself.

When the scroll is mentioned however, he intently listens to the arguments of his companions before responding. "Why can't the gnome just tell us where the scroll goes?"

Xian
2008-01-16, 12:32 PM
Rolling his eyes in irritation, the gnome responds. "Look, I don't have the time, patience or pay to deal with these kinds of accusations and suspicions. The spell will take us to his warehouse and workroom. I can't tell you where it is because I don't even know where it is, which is why we're Teleporting. Lord Marrix likes his privacy. Suffice it to say that it's in Sharn, but that's as specific as I can be.

And I think I'll keep this to myself, thank you. I've used it several times before and the last thing my day needs is some novice to get it wrong and send us into the Cogs, or on the underside of Skyway."

Havon:
As best as you can tell, his motives seem to be genuine and free of duplicity, though he clearly wants the task over and done with as soon as possible.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-16, 12:43 PM
"If this Marrix is really concerned with the fate of the world, then perhaps it is he who should come to us rather than send someone else. Pardon my sounding so bold, but if we let you take us to an unknown location, we suddenly lose our advantage and you gain one. I can't see why we would agree to negotiate from a lesser position."

Just when you thought Mirror had made up his mind, he offered a counter-argument to his own suggestion.

"On the other hand, it's no secret between us that the visions brought us here. If there were some other purpose, it seems as though it should be more readily apparent."

Goblin Music
2008-01-16, 01:55 PM
It looks like you are a little short on trust Gnome Rarinn says

Xian
2008-01-16, 01:57 PM
"Oh yes, that makes perfect sense. The HEAD of House Cannith come to the commoners instead of the other way around. Maybe King Boranel should be summoned to his subjects as well," grumbles the gnome in exasperation at this suggested defiance of propriety.

((Sense Motive Check. DC 3 - Success detects sarcasm thick enough to clog the fountain. Failure begins contemplation on where to go to send the summons from.))

Xian
2008-01-16, 02:09 PM
"You're one to talk, elf. I've never had such difficulty with a summons before, and my patience has run out. You're going, willingly or not." With that, he unfurls the scroll. Some sort of spell must have been on the scroll itself, as it spreads out to a 5x5 sheet on the ground in front of him, weighted on each corner, much larger than the original size would have indicated. With it occupying the space in front of him, he begins to chant and gesture.

Asmodeus
2008-01-16, 02:57 PM
{OOC: *hops on the DM Railroad* chugga-chugga-choo-choo!}

Stepping to the front of the group, the warforged says "You'll have to forgive them. They don't understand the inner workings of the house. I own the Bronze Buckler; An armor shop associated with the house's Fabricator's Guild. If you would be so kind as to show some identification showing you are with the house, that will be enough for me to put my trust in you, and I'm sure the rest will come willing ly as well.

To be honest, I'm rather thrilled at the idea of meeting Merrix d'Cannith in person! There is so much he could tell me."

Turning to Mirror he says "Merrix is the son of the original creator of the Warforged race. Perhaps you should meet him as well."

Xian
2008-01-16, 06:09 PM
The gnome stops in mid-chant at Fifth's request. Reaching into his coat, he pulls out a badge of some sort. It displays a sculpted crest (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82924.jpg) of house Cannith, the red-eyed gorgon topped with a hammer and anvil. "Will this suffice?" he asks.

Asmodeus
2008-01-16, 10:10 PM
"I'm satisfied. Please, do proceed."

He turns to the others and says "Do I look ok? No smudges on my armor anywhere? I want to look my best for Mr. d'Cannith."

Mantid
2008-01-17, 01:13 AM
"Hmph. Although House Cannith does Onatar proud, I do not count the Dragonmarked Houses as my friends," Celvic says with a snear. "No point in arguing, however, we have few leads. The houses have great resources, and so if the Sovereigns see fit to guide us through them, then so be it."

Xian
2008-01-17, 02:01 PM
"I'm glad you approve. Now quit preening like some fussy bird," he huffs, though visibly mollified by the warforged's agreeable, optimistic mood.

Turning to Celvic, he sneers right back, "How fortunate for you, then, that Lord Marrix isn't seeking your friendship, he's seeking your cooperation. If you're quite done with your moral posturing, then just step on the scroll I just unrolled. It will take you directly to him."

He has a brief moment of introspectiveness before rolling his eyes once again and, before anyone can raise questions about the safety of the action, steps onto the scroll itself. Energies stream up from the large parchment, swirl around the surly gnome, and in a flash he vanishes. A few moments later, energies swirl again, this time in front of the fountain near where he was first seen and the gnome reappears once again. "Satisfied?" he asks.

Asmodeus
2008-01-17, 03:51 PM
The warforged will hurry to be the first to step onto the scroll and go meet Merrix d'Cannith.

Mantid
2008-01-17, 10:02 PM
Celvic follows.

Goblin Music
2008-01-17, 10:46 PM
Rarinn steps on the scroll

manaleak34
2008-01-18, 01:13 AM
Havon gives a slight sigh to himself but steps on the teleport scroll as well, keeping his hand ready to grab the sword at any minute.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-21, 08:59 AM
OOC - Sorry. I missed the post where the other Warforged stepped on the scroll, which is what I was waiting for.

Mirror will follow the others.

fireinthedust
2008-01-21, 09:45 AM
Jo thinks for a moment about attempting to purge a Quori spirit from the gnome, but decides against it; instead he follows the others through the scroll, though prepares himself to use his mindblade on any targets on the other side.

ooc: sorry for the delay. Computer issues, site issues, and ridiculously sick.

Xian
2008-01-21, 09:36 PM
Stepping on the scroll activates the spell for each in turn, causing a spray of colors that blind your vision. It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust when the energies disperse, and when they do, you see that you are standing in the middle of a large, ornate workshop. Pipes and conduits snake along the walls and high-vaulted ceiling. Various benches and tables support projects in various stages of progress. In fact, some are indeterminate whether they are works in progress or on display. Far from being a static environment, hums and whirrs can be heard from michinery, seen and unseen, while some projects spark and move as they do whatever they're doing. A door can be seen directly ahead (on the north wall).

"I'm glad that you finally made it," says a male voice coming from the left (west) and...above. A section of the wall is a massive tool rack, with tools ranging from the mundane to the incomprehensible hanging on it. Towards the top, an older (mid-60s) human male floating on Tenser's Floating Disk places one of the more exotic tools on a peg. He then floats to the floor where the disk settles seamlessly into the intricate tile-work. "I am Merrix d'Cannith, and I have a job for you. I hate to sound like some babbling bard, but the world may depend on this. I had a vision, much like you no doubt have, and the seven of you are the keys."

Asmodeus
2008-01-21, 10:51 PM
The warforged stares up at Merrix when he first speaks. Normally, he would be indulging in examiningg every single item int his workshop, but for now, he is completely starstruck. He is standing in the presence of one of the most influential artificers in the entire world.

He heard Merrix's words. 'Seven? There are six of us. Should I say something? I wouldn't dare. He's a Baron of House Cannith.'

Finally finding his courage, he stammers out "M-My Lord, forgive me, I don't mean to contradict you, but there are only six of us here. Do you know of the seventh member?"

Xian
2008-01-22, 07:03 PM
"No, I can see quite clearly that there are only six of you, but there is indeed a seventh. He's a human thief and thus a bit slippery to get ahold of, but I have some top Inquisitives tracking him down as we speak. You likely won't meet him until after you complete the job I have at hand for you.

"The statue has split into seven pieces and must be reassembled in order to drive back the darkness that was released. Doubtless you know this much already. I happen to know that the first piece, an arm, resides in the Mournlands. Given that I frequently hire adventurers to retrieve artifacts of House Cannith from there, I can dispatch the group of you there immediately while I divine the locations and prepare for your expeditions to the other six pieces.

"The piece is likely quite heavy, and though the Mournlands are survivable by those who keep their wits about them, they can prove dangerous and having excess weight slowing you down could be all of the difference between death and survival. You can take this Haversack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack)," he says, pulling one off of a nearby workbench, "to place the arm in. Also, in one of the side pockets is a small bushel of Goodberries (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/goodberry.htm). Healing magic does not work normally in the Mournlands, but Goodberries function without any problem. Also in the 'Sack is a 30' rope and a 4th level Rope Trick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ropeTrick.htm) spell on a scroll, should anyone wish to try their hand at magic and create a safe haven where magic works normally. There is only one charge, however, so be judicious. Lastly, I've included an excerpt from Korranberg Chronicle by Hathius Rote which gives a quick breakdown of what to expect in the Mournlands. Now, do you have any questions for me before you set out?"

((The bag is handed to the first person who takes it; there are 20 Goodberries for those who count, and the excerpt for all who wish to read it:))

So You Want to Enter the Mournland?
by Hathius Rote
Excerpted from the Korranberg Chronicle, Zolday, Dravago 4th
Greetings, good reader! If you are perusing this article, you are probably considering entering the Mournland in search of treasure and fame. You must already know the dangers you'll face - living spells, becoming lost in the dead-grey mist, encountering warped monsters and lingering magic effects, and running afoul of rogue warforged, to name a few - and I don't imagine that I will be able to dissuade you. Instead, take heed, for I will tell you what you need to know if you are to return from your expedition.
The most important thing that you must understand is that you will be unable to heal in the Mournland. Neither natural nor magical healing functions in that blasted place. However, the druid spell goodberry seems unaffected in the Mournland. Also, a paladin's ability to heal wounds by laying on hands is not affected. Magic that allows extradimensional travel is valuable because you can heal (and be healed) while in that otherworldly space. If your expedition includes warforged, they should have little trouble; spells that repair constructs do function in the Mournland.
After properly outfitting yourself, the first obstacle that you will encounter is the dead-grey mist that surrounds the Mournland. You might find that you become saddened and listless within the mist - do not doubt your heroism, my friend, for the mist is magical, and these feelings come from outside forces! Certain patches of the mist carry this enchantment heavily - watch out for the dark grey areas and avoid them. The mist is also disorienting. This reporter has heard many tales of expeditions that got lost in the mist and were never seen again.
That's pretty much all the help I can give you for now. Good luck, brave adventurer, and watch for my next essay: "So You Want to Enter the Demon Wastes?"

fireinthedust
2008-01-22, 07:50 PM
Jo grabs the bag.

He looks into it and checks over the contents, then slips the bag over his shoulder.

ooc: sweet, I snagged the first magic item! which works, as I havn't tallied my gp into whatever items I could buy at 3rd level. heh. hope this isn't also a bomb!

Mantid
2008-01-22, 08:30 PM
"The Mournlands," Celvic repeats. "Do we have a more precise location? Or are we to search all of that Sovereign forsaken land?"

Celvic scatches at his shoulder as he adds, "You have spoken plainly with us and your words agree with the vision I have seen, so I trust you until proven otherwise. However, I'm know you are aware of the dangers of the Mournlands. Surely you aren't sending us there blindly.

"And how long have we to wait or prepare ourselves for this journey?"

Asmodeus
2008-01-22, 11:12 PM
The warforged with the group says cryptically "I know where it lies. The ruined capital city of Metrol, deep within the heart of the mournland. I saw it fall there in the vision I had.

This is no easy task. My kind can endure the trials of the mournland fairly easily. The rest of you will be lucky to find any comfort or security there."

Normally, he would have jumped at the bag, being inherently interested in anything magical, but he was obviously distracted by all that had been revealed.

fireinthedust
2008-01-23, 10:36 AM
Well then, let's not delay. Shall we take a lightning rail into Cy... the Mournland? And how can we contact you when we find the statue shard?

Jo hefts the sack onto his shoulders, tucking it under his cloak. The comfort of the sack, its handiness, compliment his stealthy "i don't know what".

ooc: yeah, heh, good timing for me! woooo! maaaagic item!

Xian
2008-01-23, 01:30 PM
"You are quite right," he says, directing his statement at the warforged, "It is in the city of Metrol. The statue is nigh-indestructible by mundane means, so the arm may have left a path of destruction where it landed which should make it easy to track down. I have hired a private lightning rail car to take the group of you directly into Metrol. He will stay at the station for exactly one day, under the protection of a guard to keep him safe. You shouldn't need that long, but after one day he will return here, either with or without you. There is a loud horn on the car, and he will blast it half of an hour before he leaves.

As for preparations, I would suggest you make them post haste. There is no set time, but I would prefer that you leave from the station before this evening as time may be of the essence, and by which I refer to the Lord of Blades. I hold no delusions that he has not been made aware of the catastrophe as well and would seek the piece for his own goals. If you leave quickly, you may avoid an encounter with him or his disciples altogether, which would be for the best. I would also suggest that you prepare for cold weather. During the past several months, a living spell of sorts has settled over the city, turning it into a wasteland of winter. While not actively dangerous, snow and ice are snow and ice, and blizzards need not have teeth to be deadly.

If there is anything reasonable that you require for this expedition, ask and I will provide it on a loan basis. Otherwise, you will have to buy your own supplies."

manaleak34
2008-01-23, 01:57 PM
"I had figured that we wouldn't be the only group after these things." Havon says after hearing mention of the Lord of Blades. "What concerns me however is if the other pieces will fall into dangerous hands while we focus on one piece at a time. Obviously splitting up is not a possibility with these pieces in such dangerous areas. I would expect you inform us if your scrying reveals that the other keys have already been taken."

Once he is given a reply he turns to his new comrades. "Well, I doubt we have much chance to refuse. Though I think we all agree that these keys are important and must be protected. My skills and sword now belong to you gentlemen." Havon says giving a slight bow to the others.

"Now we should get any supplies needed, especially food and water as we'll find none in the Mournland."

fireinthedust
2008-01-25, 11:48 AM
Agreed. Lord D'Cannith, we could certainly use a budget for supplies for this mission, in terms of food and winter clothing. I don't have a wide selection of goods for all seasons. I expect you've already thought of that. Otherwise I'm ready to go.

ooc: so we're going into a magical wasteland with a blizzard and an army of warforged? Sweet! renegade weather spell, nice touch.
I'm ready to skip ahead, given a parka and some grub. Should we skip to the train?

Asmodeus
2008-01-25, 12:00 PM
To Merrix, "Sir, I have heard that the great artisians of your house have been able to create components for warforged. One such component is a Disk of Energy Resistance. If you had one of those available, I believe it would be most useful, in withstanding the blizzard elements. Is there one available for me to use while on this mission?

To the group, "I'll create some scrolls to aid us on the journey. I'll need to purchase some supplies for that. Otherwise, I believe I am prepared.

I would not know what food supplies to purchase, so someone else should handle that."

He will follow along with the group, either to market, or to the rail station.

Goblin Music
2008-01-25, 01:58 PM
*Snip*
I would not know what food supplies to purchase, so someone else should handle that."
*snip*

I may be of help with that

Xian
2008-01-25, 03:23 PM
Merrix responds to Jo'Natar's request with a slight frown, though less out of irritation than professional regret. "I rarely dispense funds to those I hire before the job is done. While I doubt that any here would be so foolish as to take the money and run, there have been those who tried and I have found it easier to avoid such circumstances. As I said, I will provide what supplies I can for you. I will have Yean load rations on the Rail so you will not need to worry with hunger, and mention that you are on an expedition for me at any clothing store you go to and they will provide a discount on cold-weather clothing. If you absolutely must, you can leave something with either Yean or myself in exchange for the funds as collateral and the appropriate adjustments in finances will be worked out when you return. And, of course, there's always the option of dressing in layers."

To the warforged, he says, "Yes, in fact I have two, one for each of you," he says, indicating both warforged. Going to one of the nearby benches, he retrieves two small enchanted disks. "I've had a small supply made since the blizzard set in, and these are my last ones; oddly fortuitous, to be certain. They are both minor disks, unfortunately, as the last warforged I gave one to had the major disk and never returned. If you would like, you may install them here; just stand on the Disk I was on earlier and will it to go to the tool you need, if you need any at all. These are marked as belonging to House Cannith, however, so I request that you return them to me once you return."

Asmodeus
2008-01-25, 03:39 PM
The warforged looked to Mirror. "He knew you were a warforged, even with your disguise. Is there any doubt that he is descended from our original creator?"

He moves to the disk Merrix was standing on and waits for it to move to the appropriate location. He will retrieve both disks, placing one in the amulet slot on his chest. The second, he will return to Mirror.

fireinthedust
2008-01-25, 06:50 PM
Merrix responds "...And, of course, there's always the option of dressing in layers."


Jo attempts to hide a wry grin; house Cannith, and Merrix in particular, was not to be trifled with. His time with House Deneith taught him that. Still, leave it to a noble to be stingy with supplies. He'd probably expect Warforged to pay him for being born.

supplies as provided are fine. It is only one day, after all, and we have the good berries. However, for the parkas, quality cold-weather gear will be essential to success. Simply wearing another tunic won't work. In all of House Cannith, you havn't got winter weather supplies? Remember, we're not the ones who are running this show. I'm in no need to find the statue, but my participation is something you've requested. I havn't gone to blizzard areas since the Last War, when I was a soldier and House Deneith outfitted us.
If you need us to go to the Mournland, you can't charge us for the rail train or the supplies we'll need. We're not the wayfinder foundation, or an established adventuring company... though given our circumstances, that might not be a bad idea to form.
At the least, a jacket or a ring of warmth will be essential to this quest. You want the shard, you have to keep us healthy. I can return the supplies when the mission is done, as with all Cannith property.

ooc: haggling an employer. key.

manaleak34
2008-01-25, 11:50 PM
"Clothing won't be a problem. I have friends down at the docks who we can get cold weather clothing from. It's the least they can do to repay saving them from those Giant Spiders." Havon says to Jo referring to an adventuring company he had worked for several months ago for an expedition into Xendrik.

OOC:I'll leave it to DM if thats ok or not :P[/color]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-28, 10:01 AM
Mirror seemed unsure of what to do with the disk the other warforged handed him. He watched as the one affixed it to his own chest and Mirror mimicked the motion. Once he was sure that the disk wasn't going to fall off his chest the moment he moved his hands, he was more at ease. He knew he felt different after having attached the disk, but he wasn't really certain what the sensation meant.

"I have no idea who my creator actually is, but I do remember that the man who seemed most interseted in me looked nothing like the man who stand before us," Mirror replied to the other Warforged.

Asmodeus
2008-01-28, 10:28 AM
To Mirror, he responds "Well, I didn't mean our personal creator. I meant the one who created our race. Don't you know your own history?

Merrix d'Cannith tried to create a race of sentient soldiers during the last war. He came close, but never got the sentience quite right. It was his son, Arren d'Cannith who perfected the modern Warforged. The man standing before you now is Arren's son, and named after his grandfather, Merrix.

Maybe we can pick up a book on the history of warforged for you to read on the journey."

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-28, 11:12 AM
"I think I understand what you are saying. What sentience we have appears to be directed towards a purpose from the very moment of our creation. Too single-minded, and we lack the content of character to be anything but mere automatons. Still we are forged unto a predetermined path and that makes us different from the flesh creatures who are born mostly a blank slate to be gently molded by those around them. My purpose is with those of flesh, not those of metal, so I'm afraid I know nothing of our history at all. I think that is why my creators might have forged me this way, to be more like a blank slate."

After a moment of self reflection, Mirror recomposes himself and responds, "I would very much appreciate such a book."

Asmodeus
2008-01-28, 11:20 AM
"I don't know about that. We most certainly can be single-minded in our goals, but at the same time, every warforged has their own personality. Just because our creators only had a single purpose in mind doesn't mean we have to follow it. That is the beauty of being free.

If you have questions about your own race, then you will never have a better source for answers than Merrix."

Xian
2008-01-28, 12:11 PM
Merrix ***** (EDIT: ahem, "raises") a grey eyebrow at Jo'Natar's attempt to haggle. "The rings are indeed a splendid idea. Like the missing disks, though, they vanished with the last party I sent out. They had more people than warforged, so no rings were left over, and I have yet to restock the supply, otherwise I would have given you some outright. Now, if you manage to find them, as I believe that given the options of the party being thieves or dead that they are indeed dead, you are free to use them until you return here, in which case I would ask that you return them as they are property of House Cannith."

The conversation between the two warforged catches his ear and he redirects his attention. "Your companion here has the right of it," says Merrix to Mirror. "Over the years, you warforged have developed greatly from mere automatons. If you have not yet found your own personality, it will come to you in time. You fascinating constructs are more like living beings than you realize."

Addressing the party as a whole, he says, "It seems that you have most everything ready that you need and, unless you have any last-minute requests, it is time to make haste. There is no door out of this place, so..." he says, reaching into an alcove that contains a sizable stack of large scrolls. He pulls out one and unfurls it into a 5x5 square on the floor; it looks almost exactly like the one the gnome used to provide entry to the workshop. "Just use this Teleport Circle. This particular one will take you directly to the Lightning Rail station, where Yean will be waiting. Let him know if you have any final errands to run first, and then return to him when you are ready to depart. The pilot, Potes, and his guard, Unda, are already there, so you will not need to wait for them. May the gods watch over you."

((OOC: Manaleak, that's fine for this situation, as clothing isn't a big deal, per se. Just don't let it become a deus ex machina for supply needs.))

fireinthedust
2008-01-29, 10:44 AM
ooc: so we can use the supplies from Manaleak re: the jackets and such? good! Okay, so can we assume we'll be fine for weather gear? If we find rings of warmth, we can use those, otherwise we won't die from exposure right away. Sounds good enough to me!


IC: Jo nods at the discussion of warforged metaphysiology. He listens appreciatively to Merrix' account, given his family's history and up-close experience with the making of a race; for the Kalashtar, also a recently begun race with a unique origin, this discussion hits close to home. Am I unique? Or am I only an extension of Natar, my quori spirit? Can I ever be other than what I am, choose something other than what I would choose? Can anything?

Jo steps on the teleport circle, moving along towards their goal and the lightning rail station.

Asmodeus
2008-01-29, 10:52 AM
The artificer seems reluctant to leave. He looks at Merrix. Had he been human, his features would be awash with admiration, rather than eternally frozen in a fierce gaze. Still, he wants to impress the Cannith Baron, so he follows Jo through the teleport circle.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-01-29, 11:15 AM
Mirror could only silently dwell upon the words of Merrix d'Cannith as he followed the other warforged to the circle.

Mantid
2008-01-29, 11:23 AM
Celvic takes a glance around the workshop before resting his hand on his sword hilt and stepping onto the teleportation scroll.

((Occ: Gesh, I look away for a day and everyone decides to post again. :smalltongue:))

Goblin Music
2008-01-29, 11:48 AM
Rarinn steps on the scroll

Xian
2008-01-29, 12:36 PM
The familiar sensations of teleportation assail the senses of those who step on the scroll. You appear on one of the platforms at the Lightning Rail station, startling an elf who was standing too close and no one else; the other people mill about their daily business with no regard to the sudden appearance of the group. In fact, one person in particular seems to be waiting impatiently several feet away to the left.

"Took you long enough," says the irritable gnome. "What, were you sitting down and having tea, or just wasting his time like you are mine? Make haste, make haste, make haste, we have no time to waste! Do you have everything? Good. If not, get a move on! We can't afford to dilly-dally."

manaleak34
2008-01-29, 07:24 PM
OOC: I'm assuming this is the same Gnome from earlier and that I already took the teleport.

"It will only take me a few minutes to get the clothing we need. I'll be returning soon, does anyone else require anything while I am in the main city?" Havon says the to the rest of the group, mostly ignoring the gnome.

fireinthedust
2008-01-29, 11:19 PM
To Havon: Once we get the survival gear, we'll be fine to go. With the haversack and whatever gear we normally keep, the mission will be a matter of finding what we're looking for. I don't know about everyone else, but I'll be find with what I've got.

He looks around while talking, constantly on the alert for anyone coming at them. After a thorough paranoid-search-for-assasins he looks to the gnome. He says nothing for a long moment, then squats down to the gnome's level.
I don't like to waste time or energy. If we live through this mission, you'll get to know that about me. Until then, you'll have to trust that. Now, are you going to be guiding us through the Mournland, or accompanying the train?

Mantid
2008-01-30, 01:04 AM
Celvic snakes his head. "No," he relies to Havon, "I require nothing more then warm clothes. I doubt there is little else you can provide that would make my talents more useful in the Mournlands."

Celvic watches Jo'Natar and the gnome for a moment before speaking again. "Artificer," he says, looking at the warforged. "Should we encounter your kind out there, are you able to make some of our companions weapons capable of cutting them, at last for a moment?"

Asmodeus
2008-01-30, 08:15 AM
@Havon - "A few extra sheets of parchment for scrolls, if you please sir."

@Cecil - "The same weapon that cuts you will cut us. Its just that every one of us comes equipped with armor.

However, I am capable of infusing weapons with magic for a short duration. I need only a minute or two to prepare the magic."

Xian
2008-01-30, 12:05 PM
((OOC: manaleak - the very same gnome, no-nonsense bad attitude and all.))

"No need to lower yourself down on my account," he snips at Jo'Natar. "It's much easier to look down your nose while standing up. It's good that you don't waste time because you'll need all that you can get. The Rail doesn't run through the Mournland, normally, but we've been working with House Orien to try to reestablish a line. It doesn't work well yet, but Lord Merrix has deemed this an emergency. Therefore, once you get to the border, your pilot is going to overload the system, which will give you a little over 24 hours of functionality, as well as a substantial speed boost to the rail. It will take several hours just to get to Metrol from the border, so your time will be short, and if you take too long the pilot will leave without you because there's no way we're going to risk losing our Rail in the middle of the Mournland. Got it?
"As for me, I'll be staying here. I've got important tasks of my own to be attending to that outweigh playing tour guide to a bunch of hirelings. You're all adults, you can figure things out on your own without me having to hold your hands."

Overhearing the conversation between Celvic and the Artificer, he adds his two coppers. "Artificing and enchanting will do you well, but you'll need to be sure you time things correctly. The Rail is fast, but it will still take about two days to actually get to the Mournland, and about..." he pauses, rolling his eyes skyward as he calculates unknown sums in his head, "Five hours to make it from the border to Metrol, and that's with the increased speed. Normally it would take over ten. If worst comes to worst, you can always use that Rope Trick scroll that got put in your bag to make a hide-away where magic will function like it should if you need to do something last-minute."

Addressing the group as a whole, he concludes, "The Rail car is right over there," he says, pointing behind him to a small but elegant Rail car stationed in a private dock, bearing the House Cannith emblem on the front. "Potes and Unda are already inside and waiting. Try not to get them killed. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have said tasks to attend to." And with a stiff bow, he hurries off to his other errands.

fireinthedust
2008-01-31, 10:13 AM
ooc: Jo'natar was bending down to his level, not Havon :)

IC:

Jo watches the tirade, then watches the gnomes leave. His calm expression never fades. He turns to the others once the Cannith steward is gone. There's no pleasing some people

Friend, could your enchantments affect magically created blades? You all know I'm Kalashtar. We do exist, and some stories about us are true. I have the ability to create a blade, and I wonder if your enchantments could affect it.
Otherwise, I'm ready to leave now, once we get the clothing.

Xian
2008-01-31, 12:19 PM
ooc: Jo'natar was bending down to his level, not Havon :)

((OOC: Edited to reflect this. Brain took a short cut - saw "Havon" in the post, assumed that was who was talking. Bad brain.))

Asmodeus
2008-01-31, 02:04 PM
The warforged artificer give a thoughtful 'Hmm' while he considers the question. Finally he says "The art of Artifice requires an object to be a receptacle of the magic to be infused into it. I can infuse any normal weapon, or a weapon created with magical properties. Blades created by magic are a bit tricky. If the blade is a normal object, that just has magical properties, such as a sword that floads in the air and does your bidding, I could infuse it. If its a blade of pure energy, such as a spiritual weapon, I may not be able to affect it. I'm not certain though. I've never tried.

I would need to know more about the properties of this blade you are capable of creating before I could answer properly. Can you make one now? If so I could make the attempt and we could find out."

fireinthedust
2008-01-31, 02:58 PM
Jo looks around the station, and then at the train car.

Let's get inside if we're going to do this. Because of my people I have enemies. Too many people know what I am already because of this blasted vision! Your lives may be at risk, so let's keep this to ourselves. Come with me.

Jo enters the train car, motioning "Friend" and the others to follow him.

ooc: any flavour text about the inside fo the train car? It's not too big, so I'm guessing it's a relatively comfortable car, fairly Jules Verne?

IC: Jo takes time to search the car and entrances for hidden foes, then, when he's sure of no ambush, shuts what windows he can.

Are you ready? He asks the artificer.

ooc: one sec, let me figure out what the blade looks like... and the argument re: whether this will work. :)

Xian
2008-01-31, 05:19 PM
The inside of the Rail car is deceptively large. No magic is involved, but rather clever interior design, making it feel quite roomy for its size. The carpet on the floor is quite plush, and two sets of tables, each with four chairs around them, are very high end. The tables are wood and polished to a gleaming shine with gilding and ornate carvings along the sides. The chairs are well stuffed and appear to be quite cozy.

Beyond the seating arrangements are some cabinets and workspaces; from the look of things, it's a bit of a kitchen area where food can be prepared. Indeed, as Jo'Natar examines the cupboards and cabinets, a fair amount of food can be found.

At the end of the car is a curtained off section containing eight bunks, four on each side, stacked on each other in a 2x2 grid formation. Each bunk has an overstuffed mattress, a pair of fluffy pillows, very smooth sheets, and an individual curtain to shut out the light. Each one is large enough to be comfortable for even a very tall human, but could hold two provided the sleepers don't mind cuddling.

Watching Jo'Natar's inspection the entire time with a sort of bemused curiosity are a male elf, sitting in an ornate pilot's chair, and a female human standing next to him, wearing armor and wielding a disproportionately large sword. They glance at each other once or twice and let the show unfold before them.

fireinthedust
2008-01-31, 11:00 PM
Upon seeing the elf and the human, Jo stops his search (finding what he was looking for, obviously ;) )

Potes and Unda. I suppose this means the car is secure. You know who I am?

Asmodeus
2008-01-31, 11:06 PM
The warforged follows Jonatar into the rail car. "Hello there!" he says in greeting to the elf and human.

"Don't mind us. We're just getting ready for the journey. We've got a little experiment to try while one of our friends picks up a few last-minute supplies.."

Mantid
2008-02-01, 12:01 AM
Celvic nods to Potes and Unda as he approaches them, sizing them up. "Greetings," he says. "I am Celvic, a servant of the Sovereign Hosts, if you had not been previously informed."

He turns is attention to the human. "You seem quite the warrior. Its good to see that the vehicle will be in good hands. And the gnome too, I suppose. Are you the sole protection for the rail on this journey? And have you, either of you," he says turning his head to regard the elf, "been to the Mournlands before?"

fireinthedust
2008-02-01, 12:10 AM
ooc: I don't know how they'd take Jo's question (ie: is he being egotistical), but you lot should know his tone wasn't. It was more "do you know I'm Kalashtar?", sort of a probing question.
Unless one of them says "you're the Kalashtar Merrix told us about", then Jo will go on as if he's just checking the cart. He doesn't want anyone knowing he's Kalashtar, as a) the race is mysterious, enigmatic; and b) if they're dreaming dark agents or gab about him near dreaming dark agents, they and everyone else will be the targets of an army of nightmares that creep from mind to mind in the world of men and elves. Already the openess of the vision, and admitted knowledge of his Kalashtar heritage by Merrix and the gnome, is two too many; heck, he wasn't expecting the rest of the group to find out until much later, though Celvic and "Friend" already know at least some of this (and who knows what the others would pick up once he started hitting things with his mind blade).

manaleak34
2008-02-01, 02:08 AM
OOC: I doubt you want me to bother with RPing the clothing and parchment getting.

Havon returns to the train with the supplies requested dumping them on one of the beds, planning on sorting them later.

Once he notices Potes and Unda he smiles and with slight bow says to them. "Afternoon to you both, my name is Havon. I assume you are to be the aid sent by Merrix?"

Xian
2008-02-01, 12:16 PM
((Assuming Mirror and Rarinn have followed in as well...))

The pair are taken aback by the sudden gala of greetings. They exchange glances and a grin, and the elf begins speaking. "Yes, I am Potes, your pilot for this trip, and this lovely creature here is Unda, our guard and my better half." Unda gives a suffering grin at the uncalled for display of affection. "I must admit you caught us off guard at first, but it only took a moment for it to be clear that you were supposed to be here," he continues, directing the statement at Jo'Natar. "Yean told us there would be six of you, so unless there's another group of six people who would try to board my Rail car, I believe we were informed of all of you in advance, though I'm afraid the gnome didn't elaborate much beyond 'a group of six meat-headed slackers who take forever to do anything.'" He chuckles lightly to himself, evidently quite familiar with the gnome's temperament and world-view. "Well, you can relax now; it will take us two days just to get to the border, so make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the ride."

Blushing slightly at Cevic's compliment, Unda replies in a voice that straddles an odd border between husky and sultry. "Yes, I am your guardian for this trip. Potes has a few tricks of his own up his sleeves, but it's primarily my responsibility. Most people stay a good distance when they simply see my sword," she says, hefting the blade which seems to have more in common with a slab of steel than a precision cutting weapon. "But I can wield it as deftly as any fencer." To demonstrate, she holds it out with one hand, making fast, precise flicks with the blade. "It's a bit of trickery, though, as mind games can be just as potent a weapon as any spell. This blade is a mix of mythril and alchemy, so it is nowhere near as heavy as it looks, about the weight of a normal sword instead. Still, its size takes some getting used to, but I am quite used to it."

Her face darkens slightly at the question regarding the Mournland. "Yes, we've been there a time or two, mostly to work on the Rail. Potes and some others tinker with the system to try to get it operational, and I am there to keep them safe. It's a very rare occurrence that anything travels through the mist, but it does happen. More often than not, it's one of the Lord of Blades' disciples, but things come out of there that have no reason to exist, so you'll want to be careful while exploring."

With everyone on-board (including the slightly straggling Havon, arms full of parchment and clothing, whom Potes takes a moment to introduce himself and Unda to), Potes turns around and starts the Rail car. Humming to life, the machine slowly merges onto the main rail, Potes taking his cues from signals flashing overhead in the station. Then, with everything all clear, the Rail car lurches to life and shoots out of the station. It is mere minutes before Sharn is left behind and the Rail car begins streaking along the landscape at impressive speeds. The ride is smooth and the scenery pastoral as the Lightning Rail makes its way towards the Mournland.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-01, 08:20 PM
Mirror sits lost in his thoughts. He sways with the rhythmic motion of the rail car which causing the interior lights to reflect off his highly polished mithral plating in a hypnotic dance.

(OOC: I really don't have much to say or do at this point unless someone else wishes to strike up a conversation. Yeah, I know, he's really quiet for a bard, but that sort of fits his current personality crisis.)

fireinthedust
2008-02-01, 11:54 PM
Jo nods his head. Yes, that does sound like the gnome. Interesting that he's the one sent by d'Cannith to meet new talent. If I may, though, I need a moment's privacy with my companions. That was why we stepped inside the car. It's nothing against either of you, but we have something private to discuss. Is that alright?

Mantid
2008-02-02, 01:17 AM
Celvic glances at Jo, then back to Potes and Unda. "If you'll excuse us," he says with a nod. "I know we have some travel ahead of us, but I see no reason to waste that time not preparing for what lies ahead. The Sovereigns do not favor the idle."

Turning to Jo he waves his hand toward the curtained area in the back. "It seems that is as private as we will get in here," he tells him before heading to the curtains.

fireinthedust
2008-02-02, 04:05 PM
Jo nods diplomatically to the pilot and his bodyguard, and pulls the curtain closed behind himself, Celvic and "Friend" and the others.

By seeing this, you all place yourselves in danger. I am Kalashtar, and my enemies live in dreams and nightmares. If they see me in your dreams, they may use you to get to me. I didn't want this, but the vision, and that blasted House Cannith artificer, learned of it. Anyway, here is my mindblade.

In that moment his hand is filled by a purple light. It becomes a short sword made of purple light.

Jo'Natar's Mindblade (http://www.cbswords.com/images/bast-sword.jpg)

I can make it at will, and I hope to do more soon. Can you enchant it?

manaleak34
2008-02-02, 09:12 PM
"Hmm, figures" Havon quietly mentions to himself. "Something did seem a little different about you. So do you believe that these enemies of yours will jeopardize our mission?"

fireinthedust
2008-02-02, 11:10 PM
To be frank, yes. Always. Every moment of my life. I've lost... people. Frankly, I'm still not sure any of you aren't with them right now. Visions in dreams? And upon teleporting, we find ourselves in a room with the head of House Cannith? If it weren't so ridiculous, I'd believe it was an illusion set out by them or their agents. It is a strange path, one against my better judgement. Yet I'm here, and I'm going back into Cyre.

He shows the mindblade to the warforged, then retracts it when the inspection is done.

Maybe I'm tired of living. Or maybe the light has led me to new allies. You know this much: there are nightmares, they live and are real. Whether we meet them on this train or hiding in our homes, we meet them. If you know this, you deserve to know the truth of what you face. And to know I'm sorry for this. No one deserves to be a part of this, and I'm sorry you are. But you are. At least you get to face it on your feet. Maybe even your own terms, Light willing.

Jo smiles bitterly, then moves beyond the curtain. He looks for a way onto the roof of the lightning car, to watch the world pass by.

Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 10:26 AM
The warforged examines the mind blade while Jo relates his story.

He gently take sthe semi-solid blade, examining it carefully. "Amazing. I've never seen anything like this." More impressive to him than the actual physical construction of the blade is the underlying web of existence. He has examined shortswords many times. He has created them under more mundane circumstances. He knew exactly where to look to apply an infusion that would temporarily ignite the blade in flame. Going into a blizzard, that seemed to be the most appropriate. For the mindblade, the same points existed but they were almost alien in appearance.

The artificer weaved the infusion into the web. A snip on this line. A new line connecting these points. And it was done.

When he finished, the mindblade was wreathed in purple flames. "A unique coloration. It must have something to do with the unique properties of the blade."

fireinthedust
2008-02-03, 10:40 PM
Jo smiles, igniting and releasing his blade over and over. It forms in his hand, the purple energy aura surrounding it laced now with white flames. The hint of a smile is pushed away, and he gives a fast nod to the artificer. This is... thank you. Thank you very much.


ooc: Jo is ready to move forward, and so am I. :)

Mantid
2008-02-03, 11:23 PM
Celvic watches the artificer work on the blade, thinking over Jo's admission. "These... nightmares," he says at last, "can try to stop us with all their might, but they will not spoil our quest. The Sovereigns are with us. We will not falter in this sacred duty."

He looks around at the assembled group and then adds, "I suppose in the spirit of honestly, I should make my own admission. If we are to fight side-by-side, you would learn of it quickly anyhow." He begins to work on the straps holding the left arm of his armor in place as he continues to speak. "There are those out there who see me as something to be loathed and hated out of superstition and myth. If your visions were similar to mine, you may already know I possess eldritch powers, to which many ascribe to some fiendish ancestry. Some are distrustful of me for that, but the true source of my powers hold much more sway over the minds of Sovereign's children."

Celvic finishes with the last buckle on the armor of his arm and holds it in place. "Understand that this is a blessing from the Sovereigns, a gift that they have given me to set me free of the foolish, erroneous, or even political beliefs that the more indoctrinated Vassals may teach and believe. It is something I use only in the Host's honor." He pulls slips the armor of his armor off enough to reveal a distinctive mark on his shoulder.

The twisting lines of the mark are unmistakably those of a dragonmark, but its sharp emerald color is a sharp contrast to the vivid blue of more familiar dragonmarks. Looking at the dragonmark, you can soon see that the color is not truly green, but is made of a complicated weave of blue and yellow lines that almost seem to crawl across the skin. Around the dragonmark and in the gaps in its pattern, the skin is read, flaky, and covered with fine bumps, an angry appearing rash.

"My aberrant dragonmark, the source of some of the powers you will undoubtedly see. Keep its existence to yourselves, but be warned. The mistaken suspicions and superstitions that these marks are evil run highest in the dragonmarked houses. If Merrix d'Cannith is aware of this mark, our apparent patron may be our closest enemy. Even if he overlooks its presence, it is doubtful everyone associated with his house will be as accepting."

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-05, 02:39 PM
Mirror listened as the others revealed things about themselves. He felt like he should say something as well, but what secrets did he have to offer? He didn't feel like he had very much to contribute to this mission.

"I can't say I have anything interesting to share with you. I was not created to be a warrior. My purpose is to mimic the appearance, voice, and mannerisms of others and to infiltrate, like a changeling wrapped in a metal shell. I'm not sure what good I'd be in a fight if it came to that."

He thinks for a moment before continuing.

"I suppose I could provide some entertainment, I have been trained to recite some of the classics."

Mirror's face slips into a more solemn visage as he lauches into a brooding soliloquy from the third act of "The Captain of the Camarade", a well known tragedy, where the main character, an airship captain, learns the story of his birth told to him by his foster parents was a lie. He laments that after all these years that he never really knew himself.

Xian
2008-02-05, 03:34 PM
(Assuming Mirror has moved to the main cabin to perform and isn't soliloquizing in the bedroom...:smalltongue: )
Unda watches Mirror's performance with an unwavering gaze, transfixed by his performance. When he finishes, she applauds enthusiastically at his rendition. "That was wonderful! I rarely have the time to see stage performances of any kind! Do you know anything from 'The Catamite and the Carpenter'? Some people think it's vulgar and tasteless, but they just have no sense of humor."

And so the Lightning Rail thunders on, streaking through the pastoral landscape towards its destination while its passengers bond, congregate and entertain each other, enjoying the camaraderie and planning for the encounters ahead. Potes navigates expertly through additional stations, circumventing stops and other Rail cars as necessary so that no time is lost. Incredibly, he remains at the helm both day and night. Unda reveals that he had personally undertaken special training wherein he learned how to enter a sort of meditative state between sleep and wakefulness, and through this is able to maintain constant control of the Rail car for days on end, save for very short breaks to eat, converse and catch a brief cat nap. He cannot do it indefinitely, but he has reached the level where he can go almost a week before his body demands that he return to a normal routine to recover.

Two days later, the Rail car speeds past Vathirond to the gray mists. Potes begins to slow the car and it comes to a full stop just before the swirling border. Coming fully out of his meditative state, he stands up, stretches, and opens the door. "Now is when things will start to get interesting," he says with a grin. Stepping outside, he approaches a large control box of some sorts standing to the side of the railway. He opens a panel on the side and his torso vanishes from sight as he leans in to tinker around. Unda joins him and watches him work, keeping an eye on the mist for anything out of place. A few minutes, sparks, smoke and swear words later, he closes the panel and the two return to the Rail car. Resuming his seat, he addresses all passengers. "We're on a time crunch now. I've overloaded the Rail to give us passage, but it'll only hold for 24 hours. We've got to be back at this point by this time tomorrow if we want to make it out. Fortunately, we just got a whole lot faster. Everyone grab a seat!"

10:27 am
24 hours remain

With that, the Rail car explodes from its resting point, off into the mist like a shot, going easily twice as fast as it had been the entire trip. The depression of the mists hardly has time to sink in as the car blasts through them in mere minutes. On the other side is a bleak, desolate landscape. Though far from being barren, the endless sands of a desert would be more welcoming. Everything has a brown, blasted look, with grasses and plants aplenty that appear to exist in a state of dried perpetual decay. Browns, grays and blacks are the color palette for this place. Even the sky has abandoned its soothing blue for the harsh brown earth tones of the landscape. Depressing as the scenery is, the car continues uninterrupted.

12:15 pm
22 hours remain

A few hours later, a vast lake appears out the right-side windows, reflecting the dirty bronze color of the sky. There are no waves, and indeed appear to be no motion within the waters at all, the surface as smooth as glass. The reason for this would appear to be that the "water" of the lake has a high viscosity; a humanoid corpse lies on the beach, his upper body submerged beneath the liquid. The way it coalesces around its waist suggests a syrupy ooze. Further out into the lake, a bird-like creature flutters down to float on the surface. Mere moments after it lands, the "water" comes to life and tendrils flash up and entangle the bird, dragging it beneath the surface in an instant. Whether this was a creature living in the lake or a part of the lake itself that developed an ooze-like hunger for flesh is uncertain, and ultimately irrelevant. The lake itself is death.

2:33 pm
20 hours remain

The Rail car approaches Metrol, and the blacks, grays and browns have been swapped for blacks, grays, whites and purples. Snow falls over the entire city and heavy storm clouds hover overhead, swirling and boiling, but never moving beyond the city. Towers, buildings and shacks all stand in ruin, absent of any life even of the meanest sort. As Potes pulls into the Rail station on the south side of town, he maneuvers the car around so that it faces the way they came, ready to leave at a moment's notice. He pulls up to the platform and shuts down the car. Standing up with a stretch and a yawn, he speaks to the party. "Ok, we're here. Given all of our travel time, I'd say you have no more than about 16 hours to try and find what you came here for. Unda will stay here with me to guard me while I rest. We'll wait for you as long as we can, but if you take too long we'll have to leave without you, and I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. I doubt anyone could survive more than a few days, and I wouldn't wish this horrid place on anyone. Feel free to take what supplies you need from the Rail car, though that's mostly food, and I'll see you when you return. Because I know you will all make it back just fine," he concludes with one of his grins. Yawning again, he heads back to the sleeping quarters and within moments soft snoring can be heard. Unda remains in the front, reclining in one of the chairs.

fireinthedust
2008-02-05, 06:38 PM
The sight of Metrol on the horizon sees Jo's face fall slightly, and he takes a deep breath in. After long moments watching the city get closer, he frowns, like one hollowed by loss. I used to live here. It's... changed. he says to no one in particular, before closing his eyes. He seems to regain his focus when he opens them again, and all emotion is cooled. He pulls on the winter gear, fastening it to maximum effect while retaining as much motion and silence as he can. Then he returns to looking at the ruined city, though his gaze seems to be more clinical for the adventure ahead.

ooc: any sign of the path of the statue through the ruins yet?

Jo bows his head in thanks as Potes makes his way into the rail car to sleep. and may flights of angels... he muses quietly to himself, with the edge of an inside joke. what a strange saying about sleep. if they only knew the truth...

Friend, Mirror, Havon, Celvic. We'll need to find the trail of that statue fast. I recommend getting to the top of a spire with a view and seeing if anything's landed nearby. Friend, can you pinpoint the shard with some kind of ... detecting aura? It would cut down on search time and give us a direction to move in.
Otherwise, I can move to scout our path; I don't like the idea of running into anything messy alone, so I recommend us moving together, you guys following close behind me.
Sound like a plan?

Goblin Music
2008-02-05, 07:02 PM
When in sight of the city, Rarrin buckles on some winter gear. Next, when they stop at the border, Rarinn watches Potes mess with the control box. and when the get to the station Rarinn will wait till everyone has left until he exits.

Mantid
2008-02-06, 01:59 AM
Celvic, having changed into his winter clothes earlier, out of sight of Potes and Unda, wastes no time leaving the train, scanning the devastated city. "By the Six," he curses.

He looks to Jo'Natar, nodding in agreement. "A spire is a excellent idea," he replies, looking at the crumbling skyline of the city. "The center of the city is the most likely place to start. There is out best chance to find a tower, if one still stands. Perhaps on way the Artificer will recognize something that will lead us to the fragment." He grips the scabbard of the sword strapped to his hip and starts to walk to the north. "May Aureon and Olladra guide our steps."

Asmodeus
2008-02-06, 09:07 AM
During the two-day journey to reach the mournland, the artificer spends some time weaving scrolls.

On the first day, he attempts a scroll which may help them escape from a foe or catch a train they are late for.
[roll0] DC 21
[roll1]

On the second day, he attemps the same scroll again if he fails, but otherwise, will create one that should prove useful in combat during winter conditions.
[roll2] DC 21
[roll3]

He left the driver of the car alone while he was in that trance-like state, but now that he was awake, the Artificer pestered him with questions about how he manages to get the Rail working through the mists and everything else about the car.

When they finally reach the end of the line, the warforged says "Jonatar, since you are from this city, you would make the best scout.

I may be able to attempt to locate the object magically, but I would need to be within about 400 feet to attempt it. By that point, we would probably be able to see the crater, so I doubt it will help."

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-06, 09:16 AM
"I can think of no other alternative to your plan," Mirror responds to Jo'Natar.

Mirror scans to skyline for the nearest spire.

fireinthedust
2008-02-06, 11:29 AM
Jo nods. The nearest tower will do. The longer we travel through the city the more exposed to danger we'll be. That and time wasted from our deadline. Let's move out, then?

with that, Jo begins to scout his way from where the Lightning Rail Car is parked. He moves stealthily, from point of cover to next, keeping a wary eye out for danger then signalling the others to come forward or wait, as they will.
He begins to head for the nearest (albeit safest) tower or height he ca get to.

ooc Question: Are you using the map from the Five Nations book, or do you have your own map of Metrol? The FN map isn't too detailed, though they've got a spot for the rail station and several (I'm guessing) elevated walkways throughout the city. If you've got your own map, though, that's great; if there are any landmarks Jo would remember, like towers or statue or whatever with a view, he'll head there. (it's also a handy way to throw in a location you made up ;) )

Xian
2008-02-06, 11:33 AM
((I'm afraid not; the FN book I have is a scan, and the quality is absolutely horrendous leaving it almost unusable; the map of Metrol doesn't show up. However, it does make mention that the city is reported to "move around", so that leaves me some room to work with.))

The skyline of the dead metropolis is jagged, with buildings of different heights and sizes arranged next to each other. There is a trend of the shorter buildings being on the outskirts of town with the tallest ones towering in the center. The distance from the Lightning Rail station to the center of the city is roughly 3 miles and could be reached in about an hour at a brisk walk, with towers of a more moderate height at roughly half that distance. Snow covers everything, but is light enough on the streets at the moment to not seriously impede movement.

((Spot checks from those examining the towers))

Mantid
2008-02-06, 12:11 PM
Spot - [roll0]

((heh... the only way I'm going to find this crater is to accidentally walk into it! :smallbiggrin:))

manaleak34
2008-02-06, 01:00 PM
"Sounds like the best idea to me." Havon says to Jo's plan. "Best that you check from the tower Jo, you know this area best. I'll provide cover for you."

Havon carefully follows Jo when he motions the group making sure to be unseen as he watches the area for any dangers while having his short bow in his hand and ready.

Hide Check (1d20+2): [roll0]
Spot Check (1d20+1): [roll1]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-06, 07:15 PM
Mirror looked around, but he wasn't really sure what he was looking for, Jo'Natar knew this place better than he.

Spot: [roll0].

Goblin Music
2008-02-06, 10:02 PM
[roll0]
Rarinn stands close to the back of the party while they walk

Asmodeus
2008-02-06, 10:25 PM
[roll0] (notice instead of spot, since we did that wierd skill thing, right?)

fireinthedust
2008-02-07, 12:29 PM
notice check 22! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1484612/)

Jo scans the spires rising amid the wreckage of the city, hoping against hope to spot danger as it comes.

ooc: I can't seem to make the dice roller work, so I'm invisible castling it.

Xian
2008-02-07, 04:25 PM
Havon & Jo'Natar
It is difficult to see at first, but you notice there are some holes in the sides of some of the towers. Closer scrutiny shows that they line up in a descending angle, and if a line were drawn through them, it would reach the ground some distance to the east of town.

Rarrin & warforged
The towering buildings are crubmly and dilapidated; it's a wonder they still stand, but stand they do as a haunting reminder of the tragedy of this land. As your eyes cast downward back to the street level, something stands out. A block or two ahead, you see a lump in the snow on the right side in the street. Given how level the streets have been, this small heap is a bit conspicuous.

Celvic & Mirror
The towering skyline must have once been impressive. One might even be so bold as to claim that it could rival the towers of Sharn, but no more. Instead they stand as haunting, skeletal remains of what once was and what will no longer be.

fireinthedust
2008-02-08, 12:26 AM
There! Look, a series of holes through the... he stops for a moment, swallowing with a look as if his mouth was filled with ash. With a cough he regains composure. Through those towers. We should head east. This way, but keep a look out for danger.
"Friend", could you infuse my blade before we go any further? Or should we wait until danger is about to strike?

With that, he sets off again, moving carefully through the snow with regard for any suspicious spots (good locations for an ambush, etc.).

ooc: can we assume Jo has his psionic focus on? I can have him take an action to regain it.

Asmodeus
2008-02-08, 08:44 AM
The warforged says "I can infuse your blade now, but the magic I grant it will not last very long. About 30 minutes.

But it is best to not attempt it in the middle of a battle, since it takes a minute to complete the infusion."

If Jonatar still wants me to infuse the blade, the artificer will do so now.

Afterwards, or if Jo doesn't want it done, he will point out a lump in the snow ahead. It is about a block away and to the right of the street. "Jonatar, do you recognize what that is?"

fireinthedust
2008-02-08, 10:58 AM
ooc: I have a feat that grants me +2d6 damage if I expend my psionic focus on a hit. I have to take an action or so to recharge, but that's okay. Save the infusion for when we're going to fight something big, I guess.

IC:

Jo shakes his head. "Let's save your infusion for when we're hard-pressed. As for that snowbank... let's see."

ooc: anything I can note from this distance? I don't want to close with it if it's avoidable, as anything delaying us is theoretically bad.

Xian
2008-02-08, 01:20 PM
From this distance, the lump appears roughly human-sized, but depending on how much snow is covering the lump in relation to everything else, it could be larger (thin dusting) or smaller (heavy snow drift). It's difficult to make out in the gloom and could just be an optical trick, but there seems to be a pinkish blot at the base of the lump.

fireinthedust
2008-02-08, 10:49 PM
ooc: would this humanoid snowpile be lying down or standing up? And is the pinkish blot where the eyes would be? (ie: is this a warforged sentry, or a corpse with glowing red eyes, or something along those lines)

Asmodeus
2008-02-08, 10:55 PM
Sensing from the lack of a reply that Jonatar doesn't recognize the landmark, the warforged advances towards it. He'll brush off the snow and see whats underneath, assuming nothing happens to stop him. If it turns out to be dangerous, the warforged is the best prepared to take the hit in this nation where the fleshlings can't heal themselves.

Xian
2008-02-09, 09:10 PM
Dusting off the mound, the warforged uncovers a gruesome discovery; underneath the snow is the ravaged body of a dwarf. Eerily enough, the chest rises and falls ever so slightly, ever so slowly. There is no life in this body, though, not even unlife; the "breathing" must be a result of the effects the Mournland has on living beings when they die.

He is well dressed, clearly having deliberately come to Metrol; he even has warm clothing to ward off the freezing weather. He did not succumb to the environment. He was attacked by something, something with sharp claws if the lacerations on his corpse are any indication. It would also seem that whatever attacked him was hungry; there is a massive chunk of flesh chewed out of his neck and shoulder.

Rarrin
You see something out of the corner of your eye. When you turn to look, nothing is there. Instead, it still hovers at the very edge of your vision, nagging you, remaining both seen and unseen.

Goblin Music
2008-02-09, 10:03 PM
Um, something is wrong here. Rarinn whispers to the others. Can Rarinn use his peripheral vision and try to the the "Thing"?

Mantid
2008-02-09, 10:28 PM
"There are many things that are wrong here," Celvic replies, looking at the uncovered dwarf. "He is wearing winter clothes. How long has this living spell sat on this city?"

fireinthedust
2008-02-10, 12:36 AM
Jo looks at the neck wounds, the body and the clothes.
((as a tracker with a history of strange things in his life, what do these wounds tell me? Could it be a vampire? Or am I thinking savaged, like a ghoul or werewolf, or some other predator?

also: what's the general rate of snowfall right now vs. how covered this guy was, for a time line?))


I don't think the spell has been here too long. My guess is whatever did this did it recently. If it weren't for the timeline, I'd guess Merrix sent another team here before contacting us. Maybe our competition took an airship instead of Cannith Lightning Rail. Il-Yannah! We don't have time to play it safe and slow, we need to get to that shard fast before someone else who wants it does!

Xian
2008-02-11, 12:01 PM
Rarrin - straining to use your peripheral vision does not aid much. It's as if it's straddling between being real and being a sensation, like some sort of optical illusion.

Jo'Natar - more like savaged. A ghoul would be a very fair predator comparison as the bites are shaped more like the mouth of a humanoid than a beast. As for snow, the current rate is very light. Assuming there hadn't been any recent storms, he could have been here for a few weeks.

Asmodeus
2008-02-11, 01:12 PM
The warforged looks around the body for tracks. He doesn't expect to find any, since its snowing. If he doesn't see any immediate evidence of a trail from the attacker, he'll begin searching the body for anything of use or value. Even some identification papers would be useful.

"Lord Merrix did mention that he has sent others into this place. It may be a member of one of those teams. If so, he might be interested to know the fate of this poor fellow."

The fact that the corpse was still breathing didn't particularly bother the warforged. He knew that breathing was something that the humanoids did, but its exact purpose was never quite clear, and the fact that is was present after death on this particular specimen was just chalked up to the peculiarity of the fact that these creatures needed to breathe, rather than some side-effect of the mournland.

fireinthedust
2008-02-11, 04:08 PM
Jo searches the body for belt pouches, rings, anything that may have been stolen. He is considering that it could still animate, or a watcher could attack while he does this. He's thinking identity papers, insignia, anything. Magic items could also be useful, but are less of a priority. He's thinking about information.

After his search is done, he ignites his mindblade while speaking.
Maybe. Regardless, let's get moving. The longer we stay here, the less time we have to get back with the statue, and that's *if* we can carry it easily. Until then He makes a deliberate move to do this, severing the head of the body from its shoulders. His mindblade flashes upon the strike, as more energy than normal courses through it. let's focus on the mission.

((regular midblade damage, plus he's using "psionic weapon": +2d6 dmg, releasing his psionic focus. I'll take a moment to regain it before we move. Then Jo will move off to the path of the comet))

I hope whoever may be watching saw that. They know we have some power, and may leave us alone for fear of it. This prey has teeth and will bite!

Goblin Music
2008-02-11, 04:31 PM
Warforged, do you have any items that will help us see the unseen? Rarinn asks "Fifth"

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-11, 04:33 PM
Mirror really didn't know what to make of the situation. The creature was dead according to his companions and the damage to the dwarf certainly seemed to confirm that to Mirror, but something else seemed strange.

"If this were truly a hungry predator, why would he leave his meal behind? I think it is best if we were just on our way, this is just distracting us from our task."

Xian
2008-02-11, 06:08 PM
Warforged - indeed, no tracks are seen around the body, not even old filled-in ones. Any tracks the predator may have left have long since vanished.

Jo'Natar & warforged - searching the dwarf's body turns up a few items of note. While he is bundled for cold weather, the amount of clothing he's wearing seems a little on the light side. In a pouch on his side are three silver pieces and two Goodberries. On his right arm is a small wooden buckler, dented and covered with scratches or claw marks, but usable. On that hand is a silver ring with the insignia of House Cannith. In his left hand is a very sharp dagger; there is no blood on it.

*whumpf* As the two finish examining the *whumpf* fallen dwarf, sounds like piles *whumpf* of snow falling to the *whumpf* ground can be heard*whumpf*. What is making the noise *whumpf* comes into view ahead *whumpf*. It stops, almost two blocks directly in front.

A large bipedal figure looms. It lacks any distinct features whatsoever, but is rather a generic humanoid form: two legs, two arms, and a faceless head, and appears to made completely out of snow. Despite having *whumpf* no visible eyes, *whumpf* it has seen *whumpf* the party. *whumpf* It heads *whumpf* straight forward *whumpf* picking *whumpf* up *whumpf* speed. *whumpf* *whumpf* It's *whumpf* *whumpf* charging. *whumpf**whumpf**whumpf*

((Initiative rolls please. Due to the distance, you have about two rounds of "prep time" before the snow thing reaches Jo & warforged at the dwarf corpse. Assume it came into view after J & w finished looting the body.

For mapping purposes: front/ahead = north = "up". The road is 25' wide, the dwarf corpse 1 square away from the right curb. The thing is Large sized and is starting 80'/16 squares in front of the party, in the two right-side squares of the road. There is 5' between the curb and the building on each side. The building to the right has an open door directly in-line horizontally with the dwarf. The building on the left has a closed door 10' ahead of the one on the right. There is an intersection 30' ahead and 10' behind, both of them 4-way intersections.))

Mantid
2008-02-11, 06:13 PM
((Bleh... you posted while I was typing! :smallyuk:))

Mantid
2008-02-11, 06:26 PM
Initiative - [roll0]

Goblin Music
2008-02-11, 07:26 PM
[roll0]
Rarinn will swiftly draw his blades and try to get out of the creature's path.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-11, 08:08 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

fireinthedust
2008-02-11, 11:12 PM
initiative: 1d20+2 = 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1489547/)

Jo hastily puts the pouch (goodberries and silver pieces), the dagger and the ring into the haversack's side pouch. As he does so, he speaks in a low voice. I think we have the answers we need. He's from Cannith. Friend, you want to check the dag...

He breaks off mid-sentence as the snow-thing comes around the corner.


((does this interruption mean Jo managed to cut off the dwarf's head, or does he still have his Psionic focus? If he still has it, Jo will skip cutting the body, and will instead just back away

If I have to regain the focus: autohypnosis 1d20+7=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1489577/)))

Xian
2008-02-12, 12:33 AM
((You have already described the actions, so you've removed the dwarf's head. Looks like you made the check to regain focus in any case.))

manaleak34
2008-02-12, 03:05 AM
Havon steadies himself a quickly aims at the approaching creature with his short bow ready to fire.

Init: [roll0]

Asmodeus
2008-02-12, 08:57 AM
To Rarrin, the warforged says "I may have something to help detect the unseen, but nothing readily available to make them visible."

He looks rather disappointed when he turns back to the corpse and sees that Jonatar has beheaded it. "Was that really necessary?" he asks.

[roll0]

[roll1] Trying to identify the creature.

Xian
2008-02-12, 12:06 PM
warforged - The lumbering beast is one you haven't seen before, but it resembles ones that you are familiar with. As best as you can determine, the thing is an elemental made of snow. This probably means that it has a vulnerability to fire and heat. Additionally, it is more deadly when both it and its opponents are on snow or ice. ((Snow Mastery (Ex)
A snow elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its opponent are touching snow or ice. If the opponent or the elemental is not touching the ground, the elemental takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls.))

Order of Initiative:
Snow elemental
Celvic
Havon
Jo'Natar
Rarinn
Mirror
warforged

The snow beast lumbers forward like an avalanche, moving incredibly fast for its size. It would be very difficult to try and outrun, if even possible.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-12, 01:05 PM
OOC: The mechanics for identifying a creature is basically a knowledge check DC 10 + HD (although later books starting with Monster Manual 4 have been using 10 + CR instead).

Success usually yields knowledge of the creature's type and subtypes. For every 5 points the check exceeds the DC, one additional fact (immunities, resistances, DR, SR, AC, special attack etc.) is learned.

The only other thing I would note is that knowledge (planes) is the skill used to identify elementals and outsiders. Knowledge (arcana) covers constructs, dragons, and magical beasts.

Mantid
2008-02-12, 02:08 PM
The only other thing I would note is that knowledge (planes) is the skill used to identify elementals and outsiders. Knowledge (arcana) covers constructs, dragons, and magical beasts.

OOC: One of the optional rules we had discussed early on with combining skills was combining some knowledge skills, I believe Planes, Arcana, and Religion were one of those groupings.

IC: "Dol Dorn preserve us," Celvic mutters. Loudly he adds, "We may need to hide in the ruins and try to escape... but let us see if this beast can be harmed."

Celvic moves toward the open door and lifts his left hand up. Dark green tendrils of eldritch power begin to twist out of arm, gathering into a pulsating ball floating just above his palm. With a yell, he trusts his hand forward toward the charging beast, the gather blast propelled from his hand, long tendrils of power from the ball clinging reluctantly to his hand as the energy streaks toward the creature.

I assume the beast has moved within 60' now, given that it was only 80' away to start with.

Standard Action - Eldritch Blast
Ranged Touch Attack
To Hit - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Caster Level Check (for if it has SR) - [roll2]

Xian
2008-02-12, 02:13 PM
((Duly noted. Running with the identification since I've already given the beast's name and such and have given one extra fact about it, but for future critters I'll make sure it's the appropriate knowledge check. I also spoiler'd it to save on visual space.))

manaleak34
2008-02-13, 12:16 AM
OOC: I guess I'm not 100% sure where I am, I'll assume I've moved up with the rest of the party, but not right next to the dead dwarf. So...I would say I'm 90' away from the creature. (30' away from dwarf+60' distance between dwarf and creature)

Havon stands his ground and fires his shortbow, despite being out of the optimal range.
Attack(1d20+6-2(range penalty)): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

fireinthedust
2008-02-13, 04:12 PM
Jo is momentarily taken aback by the warforged's question, perhaps just enough that his noramlly-fast reflexes are slightly slower than the creature's.

In a fluid motion he takes aim and throws his mindblade. The purple energy lances through the air, striking the beast full on the chest. If they cannot outrun it, he thinks, then perhaps he and Celvic can buy time for the others to escape.


attack roll: 1d20+4=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1492745/)
Crit confirm: 1d20+4=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1492746/)
Damage: 1d6+1=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1492750/)
Psychic weapon added on: 2d6=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1492752/)

I don't know if the crit is confirmed or not. I rolled pretty good! Should the psychic weapon damage be doubled?

ooc: when you say "came like an avalanch" do you mean he transformed into a wave of snow when he sprinted towards us, then reformed before the attack? Or is that just taking advantage of the fact that we're fighting a snow-creature?

Xian
2008-02-13, 05:53 PM
((Just using flowery language; it still has a humanoid shape.))

Goblin Music
2008-02-14, 10:47 AM
Rarinn will wait till the creature is within striking distance, then hit it with his blades
Readied action: Hit the Snowbeast when it is in range
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-14, 11:23 AM
@Goblin Music -
Unless we've house ruled it differently, you cannot take a full round action on a readied action, only a free, move or standard, so you can't attack with both weapons, only one. You would have to delay to be able to take a full round action and act after the beast does.

Also readying an attack is very risky when you're not the clear target. Since you can't do more than take a 5-foot step, your action might very well be wasted. Just a suggestion, that you might be better off delaying until after the snow beast goes again.




The snow beast was nearly upon Jo'Natar and the warforged. He hoped they could avoid its blows long enough for the others to come to their aid. Grabbing his crossbow from his side, he took aim at the beast as he squeezed the trigger. With a sharp *twang* the bolt flew towards its target.

Light Crossbow Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] {piercing}

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-14, 11:27 AM
((crap. Screwed up some of the spoilers. But since you can't edit posts without messing up the die rolls, it'll just have to stay messed up.))

Asmodeus
2008-02-14, 02:30 PM
The warforged evaluated his foe and then the readiness of his companions in a brief moment. Sensing that Jonatar and himself would be the ones to stand toe-to-toe with the beast, he made a quick decision to enhance Jonatar's defenses, and hope that the magic amulet from Lord Merrix would serve as his own barrier.

Stepping next to Jonatar, the warforged placed his hands on the man's armor and says "Hold Still!". Concentrating all of his attention towards the armor, the artificer begins to mentally weave a new pattern over the armor's natural state. Within a few seconds, Jonatar should feel a wave of warmth wash over him, as the protection from cold takes effect.

{OOC: Using 1 Action Point to cast an Infusion in as a full round action.
Casting Armor Enhancement (Cold Resistance) to give Jonatar Energy Resistance 10 against cold.}

fireinthedust
2008-02-14, 06:54 PM
ooc: clarification, please. You said two rounds of prep time before he gets here. Would I be right in thinking that it should work like this:
pre-elemental: Jo got the dwarf's head, then regained his psionic focus
round one: Jo's ranged attack, then regaining his psionic focus; "warforged" infuses his armor for energy resistance
round two: now I get to go again? Or is this the round the elemental is on us?


Jo's posture improves as the warmth washes over him. His mindblade in hand for the creature as it arrives. He carefully estimates how long he has before the snow creature is upon them...

Xian
2008-02-15, 01:26 PM
((There's one more round of the elemental charging. I would have updated yesterday, but in the afternoon work got crazy busy. I only had time to update one game thread, and since my other game has been getting less love, I felt that they should get the update.))

Resolution:
With the beast bearing down on the group, Celvic unleashes his Eldritch Blast to try and slow it down. Unfortunately, it flies right by, missing the creature's side.
Havon fares greater, his arrow finding its mark even from such a far distance in the elemental's leg.
Jo'Natar's mind blade is equally successful in finding its target as the psionic weapon slices through its chest. ((Hit, yes; crit, no))
Too far away to reach, and having too much sense to go charging blindly forward, Rarinn readies his stance to attack the moment the elemental is within reach of his blades.
Mirror's luck favored Celvic's, unfortunately, as his bolt misses by a fair margin.
Thinking a step or two ahead, the warforged chooses to take preventative measures and infuses Jo'Natar with protection against the monster's chilling touch.

((End Round 1))

Order of Initiative:
Snow elemental: -14hp
Celvic
Havon
Jo'Natar: +10 cold resistance
Rarinn
Mirror
warforged

Oblivious to any pain, assuming it could feel any at all, the elemental keeps charging. Then, it abruptly vanishes from view, as if it had stepped into and fallen down a large hole. No hole can be seen, though, and the snow is smooth where its tracks stop, save for Havon's arrow which sticks straight out of the snow where the monster vanished.

Mantid
2008-02-15, 02:18 PM
"Too easy," Celvic says, looking around for any sign of the beast. "I suggest we try get off the snow."

Celvic moves through the open door into the ruined building, drawing his sword as he does so. Once inside he closes his eye and focuses on his dragonmark, summoning its protective powers (shield spell-like ability, 1 min duration).

Asmodeus
2008-02-15, 02:27 PM
Speaking out of turn, the warforged says "Excellent Idea. Elementals are not as powerful if they cannot fight in their natural environment.

Mirror, you and I should form a bulwark for defense. I can easily repair any damage to us, but if our friends are injured, the only recourse they have is those berries."

{OOC: I'm assuming speech is ok out of initiative. Let me know if thats not accurate.}

Xian
2008-02-15, 04:44 PM
((Speaking out of turn is ok, so long as no one goes on a Vaarsuvius diatribe. Also, Son of Meepo, are you going to be doing battle maps, or were you just showing what you were doing for another adventure? I just need to know as things are almost to the point where specific positioning is relevant.))

Celvic:
Inside the ruined building is a dilapidated first floor. The ceiling is 10' from the ground and the space is 25' wide ((north/south, doorway in the middle)) and about 30' deep ((east/west)), and everything has layers of dust. Largely an open space, there are some broken shelves lining the walls and an old counter near the back; this may have been a store of some sort, originally. This particular building is 5 stories, and a staircase to the second floor is in the back behind the counter.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-15, 07:36 PM
OOC: I was planning on doing maps for my turn at DMing. I use Excel to draw the grid and then copy it into a graphics program (GIMP) to save it as a PNG.

fireinthedust
2008-02-16, 01:15 AM
ooc: sweet! I hit something!
SoM: that reminds me, I have a question for everyone in th ooc thread.

IC: Jo watches the elemental disappear, then motions everyone towards the open door, after Celvic. He follows quickly, keeping a wary eye out for the elemental, in case it emerges from beneath them the way an earth elemetal or ooze monster might.
Once inside, Jo reforms his mindblade and takes as much time as it takes to regain his mental focus. (taking 20) With its purple glow, he looks about the abandoned store, peering up the stairs.

I'll check up here, see if we can use the upper floor to fight that creature. We shouldn't stay here much longer. We won't have time, and another group from Cannith is already here. Unless it attacks us, we should move off.

Jo dashes upstairs, watching in case whatever killed the dwarf is still in ehre.

manaleak34
2008-02-18, 03:57 PM
"Damn elementals" Havon mutters to himself heading towards Celvic and the open door trying to stay off the snow as much as he can. Once he gets inside he aims his bow outside to provide cover for the others and attack the elemental if it appears again.

fireinthedust
2008-02-18, 05:46 PM
Jo focuses his mind, concentrating on regaining his focus. It comes almost fast enough


I rolled his concentration checks, round by round rather than taking 2 minutes. I did 20 rolls on invisible castle, just in case it essentially "took 20" to get it right. It took two, and then the others came up okay. The psionic focus not being automatic has the potential to be a real pain if I don't roll it on command! All for +2d6. Still, a feat that could make a huge difference in a pinch.

1d20+7=11, 1d20+7=20, 1d20+7=14, 1d20+7=21, 1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=26, 1d20+7=18, 1d20+7=27, 1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=24, 1d20+7=19, 1d20+7=16, 1d20+7=9, 1d20+7=19, 1d20+7=18, 1d20+7=16, 1d20+7=17, 1d20+7=9, 1d20+7=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1499400/)

So Xian: The first round after getting through the door, jo is down on his knees focusing his mind; the second round he gets it; third round he can go up the stairs and investigate, or fight the elemental, or whatever.

Should I re-do that last post? Or assume those rolls fit into the moment Jo takes to regain focus?

Elementals... Of course! Frisia, the plane of Ice. I wonder if Metrol is in a Manifest zone, thanks to the living Control Weather spell.

Xian
2008-02-19, 04:37 PM
((Assuming everyone has gone into the building...))

As the group gathers inside the dilapidated building, the snow explodes just outside the door, the body of the dwarf flying out of sight. The snow elemental stands, "looks" around for a moment and then pursues through the door.

((This is approximately two turns after it vanished; elemental spends this round squeezing his large-sized body through the medium-sized door. OoI remains the same.))

fireinthedust
2008-02-20, 10:19 AM
ooc: so we go in, two rounds happen, then elemental appears and squeezes through the doorway?

Jo throws his mindblade the instant the elemental comes through the doorway, then reforms it in his hand for when the elemental gets through.


Attack: 1d20+5=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1501514/)
damage: 1d6+1=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1501517/)
psychic weapon:2d6=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1501519/)

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-20, 10:42 AM
((Assuming everyone has gone into the building...))

As the group gathers inside the dilapidated building, the snow explodes just outside the door, the body of the dwarf flying out of sight. The snow elemental stands, "looks" around for a moment and then pursues through the door.

((This is approximately two turns after it vanished; elemental spends this round squeezing his large-sized body through the medium-sized door. OoI remains the same.))

Mirror would have moved in and had his crossbow at the ready in case it reappeared (I hadn't posted yet because Rannin was ahead of me in the initiative order.) When my turn comes up, I take a shot at it.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Goblin Music
2008-02-20, 10:52 AM
((sorry))
Rarinn would have gone in to the building and moved near the door, not to incur any problem to the others, but in a position to attack.
when it is Rarinn's turn he will attack the monster.

Asmodeus
2008-02-20, 11:10 AM
The warforged will move into the building and draw a scroll out of his pack. He selects Burning Hands as the spell of choice for this encounter, then takes a position a bit ahead of the rest of the group, so that they don't get caught in the blast when he unleashes the spell.

He'll ready himself to activate it as soon as the creature is within range.

[roll0] DC 21

If successful,
[roll1] DC 14 Reflex for half-damage.

Mantid
2008-02-20, 01:18 PM
Celvic reverses the grip on his sword and brings his had up across his chest, touching his finger to his shoulder. As he gather eldritch energy into his left hand again, he concentrates and traces a pattern over his dragonmark. A quiet wailing begins to emanate from the gathering energy. With a grunt, he unleashes the eerily screaming ball of energy at the snow beast.

Full round action, Frightful Blast
To hit - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Save vs DC 14 or be shaken for 1 min.

Don't know if it can be affected by fear effects or not... but I don't have anything else to do on this turn anyhow. :smalltongue:

Edit: Gesh! Maybe I should change that to "With a grunt, he drops the ball of energy at his feet!" :smalltongue:

manaleak34
2008-02-20, 03:39 PM
If Havon is able to fire his bow at the elemental without putting any of his comrades in danger (ie. it doesn't have cover) Havon will fire his bow and prepares to drop the bow in favor of using his rapier should the elemental advance into the building.
Attack Roll[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

If not then Havon will place his shortbow into it's quiver and pull out his rapier to attack the elemental should it advance any further.

manaleak34
2008-02-20, 03:41 PM
If Havon is able to fire his bow at the elemental without putting any of his comrades in danger (ie. it doesn't have cover) Havon will fire his bow and prepares to drop the bow in favor of using his rapier should the elemental advance into the building.
Attack Roll[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

If not then Havon will place his shortbow into it's quiver and pull out his rapier to attack the elemental should it advance any further.

It seems Previewing posts messes up the roll!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Xian
2008-02-20, 07:47 PM
Resolution
The snow beast squeezes its way through the door, morphing and contorting in ways not possible to creatures with bones.
Clevic's ball of wailing eldritch energy wavers unpredictably in the air before landing with a *plfff* on the dusty ground.
Havon's arrow flies a more steady path and smacks into the side of the elemental's head.
Jo'Natar's psychic blade narrowly misses the beast's shoulder before thunking into the door jamb.
Rarrin holds his position, ready to slice the monster to slush. ((I got no attack roll; do you wish to make this a readied action to compensate?))
Mirror's bolt flies as true as Havon's arrow, lodging in the other side of its head; the image would almost be comical were it not so threatening.
The warforged's scroll does absolutely nothing. No sparks, no boom...no magic.

((End Round 2))

Order of Initiative:
Snow elemental: -19hp
Celvic
Havon
Jo'Natar: +10 cold resistance
Rarinn
Mirror
warforged

((Map Characters (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/TexianGE/Maps/store.jpg), from top to bottom: Celvic, Mirror, Jo'Natar, Havon, warforged, Rarinn))

Annoyed at being feathered, the monster lumbers forward and takes a swing at Mirror. ((Moves forward 5'))

Mantid
2008-02-21, 05:24 PM
"Cursed child of the Shadow," Celvic swears as the snow beat advances. He steps to the side, behind Mirror and reaches out to Jo'natar, placing his hand on the back of his shoulder. "Dol Dorn guide this man's arm. Let him strike true and find victory in your favor," he pronounces, channeling divine energy into the kalashtar.

Casting Guidance on Jo. Gives him a +1 competence bonus on any one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check of his choice in the next minute.

fireinthedust
2008-02-21, 11:00 PM
Jo accepts the blessing, using it to channel his energy inwards, regaining his mental focus. There is a clarity in his eyes when he reopens them. He is still in the combat, serene, clear. focused!


Taking the round to make a concentration check, regaining psionic focus:
1d20+8=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1503495/)
Huzzah!
That uses up the +1, but hopefully it'll be worth it next round!

manaleak34
2008-02-22, 03:21 AM
Havon drops his bow and pulls out his rapier. He takes a short 5-foot step to stab at the elemental.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Goblin Music
2008-02-23, 09:54 PM
Rarinn swings his blades at the creature
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-25, 01:54 PM
The snow creature's mighty slam nearly rips the crossbow from Mirror's grasp. Shaken, but undeterred, Mirror releases the weapon from his grasp and draws his jeweled raipier from its scabbard. He then attempts to slip the blade between the beast's flailing arms, hoping to find something solid within its core to sink into.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Asmodeus
2008-02-25, 05:03 PM
Moving up in step with Havon, the warforged swings his bare fists at the elemental.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Xian
2008-02-25, 06:04 PM
Resolution
The elemental's attack smacks Mirror, dazing the warforged for a moment.
Dol Dorn's blessing meanwhile flows from Celvic into Jo'Natar, adding another layer of faint aura to the man.
Taking a more direct approach, Havon thrusts with his rapier, but sadly merely dislodges a clump of snow from the beast without any other effect.
Jo'Natar concentrates in an attempt to regain his psionic focus, the aura from Celvic flaring bright before fading completely, and his eyes snap open with a look of pure clarity.
Rarrin becomes a flurry of blades and his sword bites deep into the monster's side. His kukri, however, manages to clink on a stray stone that is a part of the creature's body and bounce off harmlessly.
Mirror's rapier is deadly, but too slow and whiffs by the creature's lumbering form.
The warforged's aim is more in line with Rarrin, his fists striking something hard beneath the surface of the creature's "skin" such as a stone or chunk of ice, leaving the elemental unharmed.

((The stone and ice are for flavor for failed attacks only; they have no impact on the fact that the elemental is, essentially, an overgrown snowman.))
((End Round 3))

Order of Initiative:
Snow elemental: -24hp
Celvic
Havon
Jo'Natar: +10 cold resistance
Rarinn
Mirror: -4hp
warforged

Further annoyed at the new injury, the snow monster turns and takes a swing at Rarrin. The first connects with the elf's face, the sting of icy sleet raking his skin (-3hp). As it rears up for the second hit, it smacks its head on the ceiling, knocking it straight to the ground. (Critical fumble; prone)

((Map (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/TexianGE/store.jpg)))

Mantid
2008-02-25, 06:43 PM
Celvic flips his longsword over again as he swings around Mirror, lashing out at the snow beast as he comes around.

To Hit - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

fireinthedust
2008-02-26, 10:46 AM
Jo leans moves forward, lifts his blade high and brings it down onto the elemental.



so attack is 21
damage: 6+2 is 8 1d20+4=21, 1d6+1=6, 2d6=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1508414/)

Goblin Music
2008-02-26, 11:55 PM
With a muffled curse Rarinn slashes at the beast again
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-27, 09:41 AM
Mirror continues to stab into the beast hoping that it would stop moving soon.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

((I have not included any modifiers for prone or flanking; especially since elementals are usually immune to the latter.))

Asmodeus
2008-02-27, 11:43 AM
With little other option, the artificer steps to the left a bit and then attempts another slam attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

manaleak34
2008-02-27, 01:33 PM
Having completely engaged the elemental now, Havon attempts to attack again.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

manaleak34
2008-02-27, 01:37 PM
Crit Confirmation(if were going with that):[roll0]
Crit Damage addition: [roll1]

Xian
2008-02-27, 02:46 PM
Resolution
After taking it's swing at Rarinn, Celvic attempts to return the favor, but misses as the beast tumbles to the ground.
Havon takes a moment to aim at the somewhat helpless victim and plunges his thin blade into what looks to be the chest cavity. He strikes something vital, and the elemental lets out a shriek that sounds like two massive ice floes grating against each other.
Jo'Natar also slices at the monster's thick center, rewarded with another cry of pain.
Rarinn's blades spin through the air again, his sword landing with a thunk on the floorboards, but his kukri slicing a gash in the snowy body.
Mirror's sword pierces a deep wound through the snow and ice, once again causing the monster to cry out in pain.
The warforged artificer joins the fray, attempting to bludgeon the beast with his fists. Instead, he almost crunches Jo'Natar's feet beneath with his attack.

((End Round 4))

Order of Initiative:
Snow elemental: -56hp
Celvic
Havon
Jo'Natar: +10 cold resistance
Rarinn: -3hp
Mirror: -4hp
warforged

In intense pain, and now fear, the elemental rises to its feet, and attempts to plow its way past Rarinn to the snow outside.

((If you choose to attack it, all but Celvic get an AoO; Rarrin gets one more AoO; if Rarinn attempts to block the creature and prevent it from fleeing instead of stepping aside, I need a Strength check.))

Son_of_Meepo
2008-02-27, 03:43 PM
AoO - Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

((Again no conditional modifiers have been added.))

Mantid
2008-02-27, 04:30 PM
AoO To Hit - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

I'm determined to hit this thing at least once! :smalltongue:

Edit: Stupid dice! :smallyuk:

Asmodeus
2008-02-27, 04:50 PM
(I'll take my AoO)

[roll0]
[roll1]

{OOC: three attacks with a total of 10 in a row. I think the dice roller is broken.}

Xian
2008-02-27, 05:19 PM
((Nah, it just hates PCs. :smalltongue: I made some rolls for one of my players in another game and it came up 20s. Just wait 'til you GM.))

Goblin Music
2008-02-27, 11:23 PM
with no mundane modifiers ((Rarinn's sword is magic))
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

manaleak34
2008-02-27, 11:55 PM
AoO: [roll0]
AoO Dmg: [roll1]

Xian
2008-02-28, 02:23 PM
Despite avoiding most of the flurry of blades as the elemental tries to stand, the strikes from Rarinn and Havon prove to be too much. The creature falls to the ground, loosing all form as it crumbles into a benign pile of snow.

((End combat. 300xp each.))

Asmodeus
2008-02-28, 02:31 PM
The warforged looks around to his companions after seeing their foe defeated.

"Is anyone damaged?"

Mantid
2008-02-28, 03:01 PM
"May the Shadow let you rest," Celvic says, kicking a bit of the once animate snow.

Celvic sheathes his sword and look at the group. "Unless there are any serious injuries, we should keep moving," he says. "We don't know what other obstacles may slow our progress. I, for one, have no intention of being stranded in this Sovereignless land."

fireinthedust
2008-02-29, 11:08 AM
The warforged looks around to his companions after seeing their foe defeated.

"Is anyone damaged?"

Jo watches the others strike down the fleeing elemental while he merely recalled his mindblade and spent a moment regaining his focus. 1d20+7=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1511631/)

He carefully slides the haversack off his back, opens up the pouches and hands out many of the contents.

I have the goodberries here. I suggest that everyone take one. We'll only be here for a day so we'll each benefit from just one. Warforged friend, Mirror, I presume you'll benefit from infusions? Who can use these scrolls? We should get moving now, before it's too late.

After giving each of the party a goodberry, and one of the scrolls to either "friend" or Celvic (as I assume Celvic can use scrolls), Jo packs up the haversack and slings it over his back. He then goes tot eh door and moves into the cold. save the berries until you need it. it'll be the last healing you get until we're back in Breland.

ooc thread, anyone?

Xian
2008-02-29, 04:56 PM
((I have come across a map of Metrol (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/TexianGE/Metrol.jpg). The small blue dot is the party's approximate location. The large red circle is the area where the statue shard is likely to have landed. Happiness.))

Son_of_Meepo
2008-03-01, 10:36 PM
Mirror glanced down at the dented chest plating, considering the severity of its damage.

"I do not think it is that bad. We should have more time to worry about it later. Have you figured out which way we should proceed," Mirror says, asking no one in particular.

Asmodeus
2008-03-02, 12:00 AM
"I suggest that unless we have a more concrete direction, we head east, following those holes that Jonatar spotted earlier."

Mantid
2008-03-04, 03:54 AM
Celvic accepts the goodberry from Jo and slips it into his belt.

After making a search through the remains of the snow beast for any items that may have been embedded in the creature ([roll0]), he nods to the Artificer. "Then let's be on our way," he says, heading out the door and into the snow covered streets once again.

((OoC: Gaw! You all can start calling me Celvic the Blind if I keep rolling spot and searches like that!))

Xian
2008-03-04, 02:27 PM
Digging through the elemental's "corpse", Celvic finds mostly snow with the occasional large stone or chunk of ice thrown in for good measure. ((For what it's worth, this was a good time to botch a throw; the thing was all snow anyways.))

Outside, the streets are calm once again as the snow continues to drift lightly down. The dwarf body is nowhere to be seen.

Rarinn:
Though forgotten in the intensity of battle, the "shadow" makes itself known once again. As before, it remains maddeningly just out of vision no matter how fast or far you turn your head. Were it not for its persistence, you would swear that you were just imagining things; then again, you could be losing your mind. Or not.

fireinthedust
2008-03-05, 10:59 PM
I think we should head tot he bridge over starmantle. The shortest route should be best, though we'll have to climb up and then back down. Tehre may be some fights along the way, but we've already fought an elemental within a block's radius: if we take longer here, we'll likely attract just as much danger to ourselves... and the dwarf's gone! Wait, where's his head... eyes open, folks!

Jo scans the scenery for the dwarf's head; if the body's gone, where with the rest of it?!

Otherwise, he leads the others through the snow.

Asmodeus
2008-03-06, 08:24 AM
Some point during their trekk, the warforged artificer will approach Jonatar and speak. "If you don't intend to stand your ground when a fight breaks out, I'd like to know now so I don't waste any more infusions on your protection."

fireinthedust
2008-03-06, 12:00 PM
Jo frowns, but keeps walking, not taking his eyes off their surroundings for foes (and the head of the dwarf, eh?). When we find a foe that we can beaten by standing still, I will. Moving inside gave us the advantage of striking it while it was moving through the door. If we simply stand here trading shots, the larger opponent will win. This isn't a contest of who can hit harder, and killing everything we meet isn't necessary. We need to move fast and strike hard, not stand still pressing through everything. He takes a moment, letting in a breath and trying to think of how to explain things to a warforged. I'm glad of the protection, but we're not here to fight battles. This is a... stealth mission. Behind enemy lines. Moving out of sight gave us a group advantage. I'll let you know next time. Maybe then you can make my Mindblade catch fire?

Asmodeus
2008-03-06, 12:08 PM
"I'm not talking about moving indoors. That was a tactically sound decision. I'm talking about you moving somewhere other than the front line, after you had been given the best protection against our foe, and giving him the chance to attack others who were not as well protected.

I'm not trying to find fault with you, or implying that we should not use stealth when possible. I just wish to know if you feel you are not meant to be on the front line, defending the rest of our party, when a battle does break out."

fireinthedust
2008-03-06, 12:42 PM
Jo stops, thinking. That's a thought. I'd say I'm more of a striker than a defender. Frankly, I thought you were more of a tank. Still, if I'm scouting ahead, I'm likely to run across anything first. For now, protections should go on you or others. Enhance my mindblade or help me move faster so I stay out of range. That's usually how I work.

Asmodeus
2008-03-06, 01:10 PM
The warforged nods. "Good. The more I know about your needs and fighting style, the more effective I will be at enhancing your abilities.

For my part, I absolutely believe that Mirror and myself are best qualified to act as defenders in this land. We can more easily be repaired if we take damage."

Xian
2008-03-06, 03:06 PM
The going through the snow is cumbersome; while not terribly deep overall, it is deep enough to hamper movement, and drifts cover some sudden drops that leave one up to their neck in snow. The apocalyptic city remains peaceful and quiet as snow continues to softly fall.

An event of note is that the closest palace of Vermishard began quietly spewing gray mist into the atmosphere where it dissipated into the clouds. After a few minutes, it ceased as if nothing had happened.

3:45pm
19 hours remaining

The better part of an hour later, a short journey lengthened by the troubles of the snow, the party arrives at the base of the waterside Vermishard palace. The palaces branched from one to another by skyline bridges, much in the manner of Sharn. Most have crumbled with time, however, but the two waterfront palaces still connect.

The portals to the palace stand open. Or at the very least, one massive door hangs askew from its hinges while the other lies on the ground, completely removed from the doorway and mostly covered in snow. Inside, it is completely dark.

fireinthedust
2008-03-09, 10:23 PM
Jo scouts forward, mindblade in hand. He moves carefully, watching for anything that could come out the doors or lurk in the shadows waiting to strike.

that and for stairs up to the bridges.

ooc: what happened to the missing dwarf's head? did he take it with him?

Mantid
2008-03-10, 12:41 AM
"We may need a light," Celvic remarks as Jo scouts ahead. He draws his longsword again and moves froward cautiously, waiting for Jo's signals to do so.

Asmodeus
2008-03-10, 07:44 AM
The warforged draws an everbright lantern from his pack and opens the cap on the side to release the light. He aims the cone of light towards the open doorway.

Xian
2008-03-11, 10:59 AM
((The dwarf was just gone; remember, the body got launched when the elemental sprang out of the snow.

Also: The palace is very tall, somewhere between 15 and 20 floors.))

The light of the lantern cuts through the inky blackness beyond the doors. Inside is a massive lobby - so massive that it must take up half of the entire lower level. A grand staircase at the far end directly ahead ascends up and around to higher floors.

A pair of broken fountains stand as mirror images to each other, one on each side of the hall. Once-fine carpet runs from the entry to the stairs, cascading up the steps to make the climb more comfortable. Pots of withered, dead plants line the walls on each side, dry and crumbling. A giant chandelier hangs from the ceiling, halfway between the door and the stairs, and must have been brilliant when lit.

((Notice check))

manaleak34
2008-03-11, 02:04 PM
"It's places like these that always are the most eerie." Havon mentions quietly as he carefully examines the room and also listens for anything of danger.

Notice Check: [roll0]

Asmodeus
2008-03-11, 02:46 PM
[roll0]

Edit: Modifier of +1 = 12 total.

Goblin Music
2008-03-11, 02:52 PM
[roll0]
Rarinn scans the area, swords at the ready.

Mantid
2008-03-11, 03:38 PM
Notice - [roll0]

((Only mostly blind this time. :smalltongue:))

Son_of_Meepo
2008-03-11, 07:52 PM
Notice: [roll0]

"I wonder what this place was used for," muses Mirror. "I can only image how beautiful a place this must have been."

Mirror heads toward one of the fountains, hoping that anything he can find there could give him a clue as to this places intended purpose.

Search: [roll1]

fireinthedust
2008-03-11, 11:13 PM
ooc:
notice: 1d20+7=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1524923/)
Bah!

Jo is distracted by the wreckage of the palace. Not long ago, he remembers the buildings in all their splendor; now this!

It was beautiful, mirror. One of the wonders of the world. Cyre really did know how to dream.

Xian
2008-03-12, 05:52 PM
warforged:
Just on the inside of the standing door, you see an unfurled parchment scroll on the floor. It is rumpled as if it had been stepped on and has dark smears on it.

Rarinn:
You're not quite sure how it caught your attention, what with the shadow in your vision causing perpetual annoyance, but you notice a pattern in the ground at the entry way. It blends in, but the striations in the dirt and snow show hints of tracks of some kind. It's not easily determined what made them, big or small, animal or human or other, but what is certain is that this doorway is frequently used.

Mirror:
In the basins of the fountains are rubble and dust. The various pipes and tubing are clogged and bone dry. A few pieces look like they might be fish bones, but they could just be some plaster from the ceiling. If these fountains hold any secret, they are not giving it up and appear in all respects to be ordinary.

Everyone else:
Everything is coated in dust. This place would be a nightmare for someone with allergies.

Asmodeus
2008-03-12, 09:26 PM
"Hullo... what have we here?"

The artificer moves over to pick up the parchment and get a better look.

Xian
2008-03-13, 01:15 PM
The rumpled parchment is inscribed with runes, complex diagrams, and multiple incantations; it must be a spell of some sort. I looks as if the same spell was inscribed twice to double the scroll's usefulness, but the lower copy is smudged and covered with dark splashes of....something, rendering the second charge useless.

fireinthedust
2008-03-13, 01:16 PM
Jo sees the warforged move forward and take up the parchment, before himself moving forward into the palace entrance. His mindblade is in hand, and his eyes scan the room for any threats he may have missed the first time.

Let's find some stairs up. We need to get to one of the bridges fast. I'll take point

ooc: Jo moves in, looking for steps up.

Asmodeus
2008-03-13, 02:33 PM
The artificer attempts to decipher the scroll...

[roll0] DC 20 + spell level

Edit: Actually a 21. Forgot a +2 from synergy.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-03-13, 02:58 PM
If the artificer can't figure out the scroll, Mirror will cast read magic and take a look at it.

Mantid
2008-03-13, 03:33 PM
Celvic nods and follows Jo, moving slowly and keeping his distance so the kalashtar can scout.

Goblin Music
2008-03-13, 04:26 PM
look at the earth, disturbance! this entry is well used friends. Rarinn says

Rarinn looks to see if any of the tracks are fresh
[roll0]

Xian
2008-03-18, 02:50 PM
((Broadcasting live from the Monterey Library, it's me, your GM at the only web-enabled computer he can find.))

The stairs directly ahead are broad and sturdy. Though one would think the stairs would split to the left and right to curve around up to the next floor, the architects went with an asymmetrical design and the stairs curve only up to the left.

The spell becomes clear to the warforged as he studies it; the scroll contains one casting of Daylight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daylight.htm).

Rarinn's tracking skills pick apart information that would have eluded others; these tracks vary in age, but the most recent ones were made within the past day or so, possibly even as recent as last night.

Asmodeus
2008-03-18, 03:49 PM
Th artificer will show the scroll to the cleric and, ask if he wants to keep it, explaining what it is if necessary.

If not, he'll keep it for himself.

fireinthedust
2008-03-19, 09:32 PM
ic:

Jo likewise takes a look at the tracks, the moment Rarinn points them out.

ooc: Jo's survival check: 1d20+5=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1532670/)
woo!