PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' Guild Team Dingo OOC



Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-08, 03:29 AM
By invitation only - please post:

Name
Race
Class
Alignment
Link to Character Sheet

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-11, 07:12 AM
Name: Althea
Race: Human
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Neutral Good
Link to Character Sheet: Boom (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36144)

Shades of Gray
2008-01-11, 05:35 PM
Durx (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35281)
Race:Half-Orc
Class:Cleric
Alignment: LG

souldoubt
2008-01-11, 06:04 PM
Name: Ulysses Valeris
Race: Human
Class: Knight
Alignment: LG
Link to the character sheet in my sig

Sledge_bro
2008-01-12, 10:33 AM
Name: Omoris
Race:Human
Class: Druid
Alignment: N
Link to Character Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36610

Height
2008-01-13, 02:00 PM
Name: Findecáno Coamenel
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral
Link to Character Sheet: here it is! (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36055)

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-14, 02:27 AM
Alright! While we're waiting for our sixth character, you guys can go ahead and start getting to know each other. Game on!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3788778

souldoubt
2008-01-15, 05:53 PM
Uhm... I'm going to assume it's cool to post here on OOC Team Dingo business now.

@ Shades of gray: I was just looking over Durx's character sheet, and it looks like he's 6'11" but only weighs 156 lb. :smallconfused: That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, especially since mass increases exponentially with height.

@ ArtifexFelicis: I'm going to have to assume that this is happening after Ulysses and Althea both arrived at the guildhouse, because they reacted to each other as if they'd never seen each other when they first encountered each other in the midst of the spellbook theft fiasco. :smalltongue: If they had already met here prior to arriving at the guildhouse, things might have played out differently.

DavidByron
2008-01-15, 06:43 PM
"Theoretically" I would guess this happens before the HQ timeline and is the first time you all meet up, before you are taken to the guild hall for the first time. I wouldn't worry too much about the exact interaction with the HQ timeline. We were asking about that a bit at the beginning of Adder OOC but in the end it didn't really matter.

But if you're worried about it you could say some of the PCs had "unofficially" visited the guild house and met other folks before "officially" joining or something like that.

The important thing is you get a (brief) chance to figure out if your character is going to love, hate, like, tolerate or whatever the other characters within your team without having to fight for space in the HQ thread to chat with / threaten / insult / get drunk with each other.

Height
2008-01-15, 08:12 PM
Question: Is it important that I have a different color for my character's speech? I've noticed that the other two who have posted have done so, so if you guys like, I could alter my post to reflect that.

Shades of Gray
2008-01-15, 09:10 PM
Sorry, I'm a teenager with no concept of average weight.

I changed it to 250. Is that good?

Spells prepared:

0: Read magic, Create water, Light, Detect Magic, Detect Poison.

1: Summon Monster 1, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, Inflict Light Wounds.

Domains: Destruction, War.

Domain spell prepared: Enlarge Person.

souldoubt
2008-01-15, 09:53 PM
Okay, the thing I'm concerned about here is the fact that, if Althea and Ulysses have already met, then there interactions here will be different -- no need for introductions, most notably. However, if this represents their first meeting, then they would have recognized and reacted to each other differently when they encountered each other in the HQ thread. Perhaps I should ignore this entirely and pretend like these events are happening in another dimension or something?


Question: Is it important that I have a different color for my character's speech? I've noticed that the other two who have posted have done so, so if you guys like, I could alter my post to reflect that.

It's a sort of convention on the boards. It makes speach easy to pick out, but it also identifies the speaker. If we identify a particular color with your character, its easier at a glance to tell who's posted/speaking, as well as what's being said and what's just internal monologue or narration. Take a gander at the HQ IC thread if you want to see what others are doing in terms of post-layout.

EDIT
@ Shades of gray: Sorry, forgot to respond to your post. Yeah, 250 sounds a little more in the range of reasonability. Anyone who has a better suggestion, feel free to speak up -- I don't count myself as the best judge of these things.

Trulhammaren
2008-01-15, 10:13 PM
Shades: The PHB does a pretty good job of figuring height/weight ratios, but I took a look at it and with your height modifier and average dice roll for the weight it put you at 300 even. So its all a matter of taste, but that would be a pretty good place to go for an average. If you leave him where he is now at 250 he weighs just under my RL weight by about 20 lbs and I'm 6'6, but I'm also a little bit on the stocky side so I'm a bit over average for my height. Plus I do like my grandma's cooking greatly :smallbiggrin:

DavidByron
2008-01-15, 10:58 PM
0: Read magic, Create water, Light, Detect Magic, Detect Poison.

1: Summon Monster 1, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, Inflict Light Wounds.

Domains: Destruction, War.

Domain spell prepared: Enlarge Person.

You should only have 3 0 level spells, and 3 1st level spells including the domain spell. However neither of your two domains has Enlarge person as a choice.

War domain has Magic Weapon and Destruction domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm) has Inflict Light Wounds in their 1st level spell slots.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-16, 01:21 AM
Sorry guys, my bad. I neglected the fact that I told you to post in the Guildhall thread as "prospectives." Go ahead and keep acting in the IC thread the same way you are now - as if you have never met before. The guildhall thread is not really synchronized with the team threads: the stuff that you have already posted there is assumed to happen after you already arrive at the guildhall (which will be in a couple of posts on this Team thread). It takes a little getting used to :smalltongue:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-16, 06:55 AM
I have to get to school right now, but I will post later tonight.

Also, I think the ale thread in question will have saved us. It's the only place so far where Althea came close to raging, and I'm going to try and keep an extremly stark contrast between Ragey Althea and the polite, artistic one that is when she is calm.

Shades of Gray
2008-01-16, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I meant the strength domain.

Revised prepared list:

0: Create water, Light, Detect Poison.

1: Summon Monster 1, Magic Weapon, Inflict Light Wounds.

Domains: Destruction, Strength.

Domain spell prepared: Enlarge Person.

DavidByron
2008-01-16, 05:09 PM
OK but it's,
"3 1st level spells including the domain spell"

You get one bonus 1st level spell. You get a bonus 2nd level spell too in theory but not until you can cast 2nd level spells.

Shades of Gray
2008-01-16, 10:05 PM
Sorry. Never played cleric before. Used to rogues and sorcerers, and I admit, I'm used to the Sorcerer spells per day.

In that case:
0: Create water, Light, Detect Poison.

1: Summon Monster 1, Inflict Light Wounds.

Domains: Destruction, Strength.

Domain spell prepared: Enlarge Person.

souldoubt
2008-01-17, 09:11 PM
Looks like my internet could be spotty over the next couple of days. I'm out of town, and the place I'm staying doesn't seem to like GITP ('cause the site has been so obnoxiously slow lately). Right now I'm posting from a wi-fi hotspot, and the forecast looks promising for me to get back here tomorrow (Friday), but Saturday could be stormy. So sorry if I'm MIA that day, but the one day hopefully shouldn't cause too much of a hiccup in the proceedings. Just imagine Ulysses is silently radiating confidence for a few extra minutes, I guess.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-19, 02:06 PM
Shades, the silver horse medallion is Eldon's holy symbol. You can do a Knowledge (Religion) check to see if you know the religion.

Height
2008-01-20, 10:20 PM
Hey shades, sorry about that. You know you can just tell me that in this thread. My fault, though.

souldoubt
2008-01-23, 06:43 PM
So what are we supposed to be doing now? Should we just wander off around the guildhouse? Ulysses already joined the HQ thread, so I'm kinda confused about how to navigate this.


@Sledge bro: I noticed that Omoris is 46. That's pretty old for a 1st level character, especially in a medieval setting, and considering that random starting age for a druid is between 17 and 27. I'm not encouraging you to fit your character into that age range if you don't want to, or saying you should change your character concept, I'd just recommend scaling back his age a bit. Keep in mind that humans advance to Middle Age at 35, losing 1 point on all physical stats and gaining 1 in all mental stats.

I guess in my thinking, by the time somebody gets to be 46 there gonna have a few levels in something, even if it's just the NPC commoner class. But that's just an opinion.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-24, 05:38 AM
So what are we supposed to be doing now? Should we just wander off around the guildhouse? Ulysses already joined the HQ thread, so I'm kinda confused about how to navigate this.


Yeah, basically I was just giving you a day to develop relationships among the team and the the other people at the guildhouse - part of the "75% RPing, 25% hack-and-slash" plan - but I can appreciate that some of the novelty is lost because you've already posted in the HQ IC thread. Never fear, I'll give you some more material to work with once I get back to my room in a few hours (at work right now).

Also, remember your posts in the HQ IC thread and the Team IC thread are not synchronized IC the way they are IRL. Let me know if I need to clarify further. But don't think too hard about it! :smalltongue:

Shades of Gray
2008-01-26, 08:39 AM
In other new I drew Durx. If anyone wants their character drawn. Just ask me.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g55048.png

rockdeworld
2008-01-26, 10:50 AM
In other new I drew Durx. If anyone wants their character drawn. Just ask me.
I wouldn't mind :smalltongue:. My current avatar is similar to how I think of Kyte, but I think you could do a much cooler job of it - especially with the 'X' of swords on his back.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-26, 10:59 AM
In other new I drew Durx. If anyone wants their character drawn. Just ask me.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g55048.png

I'm going to have to ask to. Should be interesting to see how Althea turns out to be.

Shades of Gray
2008-01-26, 11:29 AM
Here is Kyte

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g16385.png

height:120
width:80

Also: Althea

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g28625.png

Height: 117
Width: 100

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-26, 05:14 PM
Also: Althea

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g28625.png

Height: 117
Width: 100

I have to say that she came out well. Hair perhaps a little shorter then I would have thought, but spot on. I like the furs a lot as well. Also, I am ecstatic right now, thanks.

souldoubt
2008-01-26, 06:03 PM
In other new I drew Durx. If anyone wants their character drawn. Just ask me.


Those are some cool avies. Feel free to make Ulysses, if it's not too much trouble.

DavidByron
2008-01-26, 06:26 PM
Do you mind if I put them in the data records... probably on the page with all the quotations (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc9bxccj_61f6ffqbfb&pli=1). I need to go through and grab some new quotes and especially for team D of course.

In fact do you mind if I copy them to the guild's photobucket account too?

Shades of Gray
2008-01-26, 06:35 PM
If yo are talking about the avvies, I don't see why not!

Also here you go Ulysses.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g9963.png

Width: 85
Height: 118

I also redid Althea a bit. I made the hair longer like you said.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g10025.png

Width: 105
Height: 120

NOTE: I can change the avatars REALLY easily. If there's ANYTHING taht's off just say so.


Also for page 1 of the beginner's guide you may want to put a banner. I can make everyone's avatar and put it there. Here is what I have so far.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g14036.png

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-26, 06:48 PM
Shades of Gray, just wanted to let you know that you are a great asset to this organization. We're like, genuine OOTS now! :smallbiggrin:

souldoubt
2008-01-26, 06:55 PM
That's fantastic.

The red cape and square shield give him a somewhat Romanesque appearance. I guess I had envisioned his shield being round and any color on his outfit being blue like his dialogue color, but I like what you've done with him. The red certainly goes well with the complexion color you gave him.

Edit: For the record, I'm not asking you to change anything about the avatar. I like it as it is. If you do ever decide to do a blue-caped variant, I think a darker blue than Ulysses dialogue color might work -- his dialogue color is a little on the light side for a big cape like that. I'm not encouraging you to do this though, since it's so good right now I'm afriad it couldn't possibly turn out better. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Shades of Gray
2008-01-26, 07:20 PM
All I have to do to change colors is press two buttons, so it's no problem

Use whichever you like:smallbiggrin:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g15631-1.png

souldoubt
2008-01-26, 07:28 PM
Agh! I knew this would happen! Now I can't decide which one to use!

:smalltongue: :smallwink:


(edit: probably gonna go with the original, cause like I said before I think the red goes well with his complexion)

Shades of Gray
2008-01-26, 07:56 PM
I went ahead and made Finde.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g5528.png

The hair color is a bit off. Just tell me if you want it changed a bit.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-27, 12:03 AM
As mentioned in this post, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3844781&postcount=417) I'm gonna be gone for two days, and probably won't be able to post. IF anything is needed to further the plot, or get us moving, feel free to just say that the tall girl is coming along with her sword and whatnot. Hopefully I'll be able to post, but I'm not gonna take any chances.

EDIT: I really like that, thanks a lot Shades! I'm considering trying my hand at doing an OotS avvy sometime soon as well. If I ever find it worthwhile, I'll post them. I may come back from my trip with a pic or two done of chars as well.

Height
2008-01-27, 03:02 AM
I like it.

=)

souldoubt
2008-01-27, 08:27 AM
I like it.

=)

Hmm. Looks like your avvie got a bit stretched out there.

Shades, could you specify the dimensions for Height so it doesn't looke like Finde's gained 30 lb. and is pixelating his way into Marioland? :smalltongue:

Shades of Gray
2008-01-27, 08:36 AM
Here's the dimension's for Finde:

Height: 120
Width: 101

Also here's Sledge Bro's

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g49481.pnghttp://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g53755.png

There's two options.

The first (brown dog) Has:
Width: 87
Height: 119

The second (Gray dog) Has:
Width: 85
Height: 117

XiaoTie
2008-01-27, 03:29 PM
Greetings folks, I am the new adventurer on the Team Dingo :smallbiggrin:

Name: Ian Luminor
Race: Human
Class: Rogue (Armorsmith & Cartographer)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Link to Character Sheet: here you go (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7901)

May I ask for an avatar mr. Shades of Gray ? Pretty please ? :thog:
You could make him smiling and with a large scar somewhere around his face.

Here is a description of Ian:

Ian is of an average human built, having a slightly long black hair that he keeps in a braided ponytail. His eyes have a honey like color, which match with the wooden part of the bow he constantly carries with him, either strapped to his back or on his hand. A brown leather pants covers his legs, and covering it a reddish skirt that goes down up to his knees.

Just noticed that our OOC is located on the IC part of the forums :smallbiggrin:

souldoubt
2008-01-27, 06:06 PM
16 Int and 6 Cha? There's an exercise in contrasts. :smalltongue: A socially inept genius, maybe?

Welcome to the team. :smallsmile:

XiaoTie
2008-01-27, 06:10 PM
Add that to an Absent Mind trait, and not noticing that your voice comes out without a sound and TA-DAA, you got Ian. :smallbiggrin:

DavidByron
2008-01-27, 06:23 PM
Does he have spectacles? They exist.

Spectacles are rare (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3826757&postcount=374) in this medieval setting, and therefore an upper middle class status symbol.

XiaoTie
2008-01-27, 06:51 PM
Does he have spectacles? They exist.

That would be fun, but he comes from a simple family, therefore no spectacle-fun for now. :smallbiggrin:

souldoubt
2008-01-27, 07:26 PM
That would be fun, but he comes from a simple family, therefore no spectacle-fun for now. :smallbiggrin:

I guess he could buy some later on down the road. I wonder how much spectacles would cost? Probably a lot, considering a spyglass (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spyglass) costs 1000 gp.

DavidByron
2008-01-27, 11:35 PM
XiaoTie, if you did want to make a map of Bridgeport... which would be pretty hard.... I had an idea about looking at some old city street maps.

This is modern Norwich (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=623250&y=308750&z=1&sv=623250,308750&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=542&ax=623290&ay=308765) which used to be the biggest city or second biggest town in medieval England for a while (comparable with London or York). This is Norwich in 1728 (http://www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/default.asp?Document=300.60.10.92&Image=824&gst=) showing the major roads and some key buildings and walls.

We know Bridgeport has an old part (including docks) which is probably pretty wiggly in how its roads connect, and a new "model" part which I bet would be all straight line roads maybe leading to an Arc-de-Triumph style center.

XiaoTie
2008-01-28, 08:11 AM
Ah, it would be hard if I/Ian was crazy enough to map everything at once :smallbiggrin: Doing bit by bit between missions is going to be fun fun :thog:

Sledge_bro
2008-01-28, 02:38 PM
AMAZING.

Thank you SO much for the avater! :smallsmile:

Sledge_bro
2008-01-28, 02:52 PM
Ack, I feel bad, im' kicking myself that I forgot there was a ooc thread :smalleek:

@Sledge bro: I noticed that Omoris is 46. That's pretty old for a 1st level character, especially in a medieval setting, and considering that random starting age for a druid is between 17 and 27. I'm not encouraging you to fit your character into that age range if you don't want to, or saying you should change your character concept, I'd just recommend scaling back his age a bit. Keep in mind that humans advance to Middle Age at 35, losing 1 point on all physical stats and gaining 1 in all mental stats.

He Is pretty old. Probaly one of the oldest in his order of druids. The way I see him, he has spent nearly all his life in the woods,doing small rituals and the like.Nothing major, possibly the same things every single day. His advanced age is shown by his wisdom, one of the reasons why he was sent out of the woods in the first place . That, and the fact He wants to sate his wanderlust after he realises that he is getting on a bit.

souldoubt
2008-01-28, 06:39 PM
I'm assuming that Ulysses's reception by the musicians isn't dismissive? He doesn't get the feeling his attempt to socialize is unwelcome? If he does, then he'd probably remove himself from the situation as quickly and gracefully as possible, rather than what I posted. His Wisdom may be below average, but his social sense is certainly unimpaired.

If it helps, I can always roll a check to feel out the situation. (Sense Motive would be the obvious roll, but I think a Cha based check would make more sense, since I doubt Ulysses's 9 Wis would properly represent his grasp of social graces :smalltongue: )

Oh, and anyone is welcome to join Ulysses in his conversation with Kata -- or run up behind him and smack him in the back of the head, or whatever you feel like doing to involve him with the rest of the characters. I'm not trying to cut him out of group interactions here, but I realized may have inadvertently done that, to a degree.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-28, 09:56 PM
Another short person has entered the Guild! Welcome!

Also amusing. another art-bent person who is working in the Guild. That should be fun as well. I'll be posting in a second or ten. Need to settle into home before getting back fully online, expect postage soon, nonetheless.

DavidByron
2008-01-29, 12:42 AM
I know this is OOC info for some but just wanted to make sure you were all aware that this is not the first time Kata and the Lost Hope have appeared in the story.

Jeff, Dravick, Matthew, Vlax and some others went on a tour of Bridgeport pubs trying to find patrons for adventures. Jeff discovered a little place called the Jasmine and Clove (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3780139&postcount=270) and Kata and the Lost Hope were playing there. Gylvin and Dravick also ended up hearing their act (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3782524&postcount=275).

Sledge_bro
2008-01-29, 11:25 AM
http://diy.despair.com/output/poster52224972.jpg

XiaoTie
2008-01-29, 11:38 AM
My good sir, I must say this is lulz material and I lol'ed. Thank you

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-30, 11:52 AM
Just so you know, no need to wait on individual replies with the small talk here. You can have your characters do whatever they want, or say "After Kata and Omoris finish talking, Bob stands on his head" or whatever.

souldoubt
2008-01-30, 05:16 PM
<snip>... or say "After Kata and Omoris finish talking, Bob stands on his head" or whatever.

Who's Bob?

(( :smallbiggrin: :smallwink: ))

XiaoTie
2008-01-30, 08:34 PM
OOC: Would this be a cartography check for Ian with +2 from aid other?

I guess so, if Durx were willing to help him out noticing streets and alleyways or something like that. But I would most likely “Take 20” if the situation is calm enough.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-01-30, 10:08 PM
Assuming that this is after some of the events in the regular HQ thread, then Althea would know a bit or the city as well. Enough to take them to the library and to the more trade-like district where she gets her paints.

Also, I think a "take 20" would fit. Though, it would be more like this. The take 10 to make the map and get the general idea, rough shapes and whatnot. The take 20, which I think takes a few days or so, would end up probably being a bit more spot on. The spiffy, spruced up maps would be more like that.

That's just how I sort of see it anyway. Makin' maps just would take a while, same with art as everything.

souldoubt
2008-01-30, 11:49 PM
OOC: Would this be a cartography check for Ian with +2 from aid other?

I'm pretty sure that you can only "aid another" in a skill if you are capable of performing that skill -- and cartography sounds like something that would be "trained only." So I don't think you could aid the check, unless Durx secretly has ranks in cartography.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-31, 12:44 AM
@Sledge_bro : In this world, Obad-Hai's domain as the deity of nature also includes the sea, like Poseidon. Many sailors and fishermen in Bridgeport worship Obad-Hai. By population, the most commonly worshipped deities in Bridgeport would be:

1)Pelor (almost exclusively humans)
2)Yondalla (almost exclusively halflings)
3)Garl Glittergold (more than half of gnomes, and in recent times increasingly popular among humans and halflings)
4)Obad-Hai (all races, especially popular among those whose jobs depend on nature/weather, such as sailors/fishermen and farmers)
5)Ehlonna (mostly popular among older, rural humans - this denomination is dying out)

Perhaps as play progresses you can give us an idea of what it means to be a cardinal, and what the differences are between Druids and Clerics of OBad-Hai (of if you want, we could just say that there are no Clerics of Obad-Hai; they're all Druids)

DavidByron
2008-01-31, 01:37 AM
Ian has Craft (cartographer) and Profession (cartographer). Professions are trained use only, crafts are not. I assume the part where he wanders around town is the profession and the making of the map itself is the craft.

He's got a +5. I would think just taking ten would get a decent map even for a harder city like Bridgeport (it's big) but yeah, taking twenty would presumably take at least twenty times longer which for this skill might be months of work.

Besides a DC 25 map would be more work for XiaoTie and might limit some opportunities to slap stuff down around Bridgeport later on.

What sort of places would be on the map? City walls with gates, the bridge (how wide is the river? is there maybe a small island in the river that the bridge uses?), the main docks with warehouses and probably some smaller docks on the river (not sea) side of town. There is a military so a barracks. The library and the old center, where the guild hall is and close by the dung carters' guildhouse.

We know the weavers are a big guild so they probably have a building up in new Bridgeport along with the large grounds of the doge's mansion and some other municipal buildings, Marshal's quaters, other rich guildhouses, prominent churches, council house of Bridgeport, law court, maybe a jail. The biggest church of Pelor might even be called a cathedral.

But the weavers and the peat cutters guild are also based among halflings so they may have an old guildhouse out West along with a big church of Yondalla out there.

The third prominent church is Obad hai but Obad Hai might be funny about having a building at all or have some sort of wooden made shrine or something. Does Bridgeport have parks? In medieval times they wouldn't be parks exactly but there might be the doge's private grounds, maybe an area the Obad Hai church has and maybe "commons" towards the outskirts of town. OTOH the city known as "beautiful" might have some spare green more than normal.

What other guilds? Well we know the lumber that comes down the Timber river is a big business so obviously the carpenter/shipwrights. It's a port so you'd expect a merchant's guild (ie where merchant = long distance traders, not "bloke with a shop"). other possibilities: a gold worker's guild (likely to be rich), potters guild (the boggy land around Bridgeport perhaps has a lot of clay soil making this another West Bridgeport-based guild), glass worker's guild (sand from the beach). That's nine guilds so far so maybe two others. Masons (there's been a lot of skilled and expensive building in Bridgeport)? Tailors (using that cloth the weavers make)?

Other big buildings you might spot walking around... the River Dwarves would likely have some sort of clan building. Some public entertainment stuff like a theatre or two, a few public squares used for markets permanent or weekly and a separate market for cattle/livestock. A graveyard or two and on the port side again perhaps a light house or an office for the equivalent of the admiralty... though perhaps Bridgeport has no city owned fleet relying on merchantmen being recruited in times of war? There may be a partial sea wall to enclose a dock area and protect from enemy fleets.

Less major churches likely include the usual bunch of non-evil deities in the PHB Boccob, Ehlonna, Fharlanghn, Garl Glittergold, Heironeous, Kord, Moradin, Olidammara, St Cuthbert. It looks like Wee Jas might be relatively unknown in Bridgeport.

Main roads out of Bridgeport... presumably a road through the bog heading vaguely West from West Bridgeport since that half of town has long been a major halfling center, and a road North towards Khorinis.

XiaoTie
2008-01-31, 07:10 AM
Like I said before, I am not going to map the entire city at once; it is not wise to do that IC or OOC. It would start with, say, 3 to 4 blocks radius from the Guildhouse itself, and then some more. Taking 20 or Taking 10 would depend on the DC set by Doc.

If it depends on me what to put on the map (such as the small islands you mentioned that could exist on the river) I would make it detailed indeed, but that is up to Doc to tell me what I see and what I don't see, according to my skill check and to his idea of the city [his own city :smalltongue: ]. On a sidenote, I don't know how Doc is planning on going for Bridgeport being a true replica of a medieval city or a bit o' fantasy medieval-city (where parks are most likely there).

But yeah, now that you mentioned it makes sense that Aid another would only work if one had the skill as well.

Also, thanks for spotting my typo on the IC :smallbiggrin:

DavidByron
2008-01-31, 09:06 AM
This might sound odd but mapping 3-4 blocks around might be harder because you have less wiggle room afterwards. For one thing are there even blocks as such?

But the stuff that has been put within that distance would be,
(1) Ana's / Ana's brother's house (1 "block"?)
(2) the Dungcarters' guild house (3 "blocks"?) to the West
(3) the city library - variously described as close by - towards the bridge.

XiaoTie
2008-01-31, 10:28 AM
This might sound odd but mapping 3-4 blocks around might be harder because you have less wiggle room afterwards. For one thing are there even blocks as such?

But the stuff that has been put within that distance would be,
(1) Ana's / Ana's brother's house (1 "block"?)
(2) the Dungcarters' guild house (3 "blocks"?) to the West
(3) the city library - variously described as close by - towards the bridge.

The number (3 or 4) was just a guess, not a sure thing; and by blocks I don't actually mean all-even-blocks, but more like there was (for instance) on the medieval map you showed me. The mapping could be divided in blocks, city-areas, or anything like that.

Actually it would be easier: Make couple blocks on one chart; continue mapping blocks from where you stopped the last time on another chart; make a new chart adding both charts previously finished.

And to do a mapping I would expect something a tad more accurate from Doc when I start doing the maps. I could do it "freestyle" with coordinates like you provided, if he (Doc) wanted so.

Here is something rather rough on how I would make the final version of one of the areas/blocks/whatever that has nothing to do how it actually is:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Untitled-1copy.jpg

_____________________________________
Also, on a related note: Aren't Profession (Int) checks made to earn gold?


Check

You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

I took the liberty to emphasize the "relevant" parts. Depending on rule interpretation one could say that completing a simple task such as mapping an area of a city without any major threats, wouldn't require a roll, unless the professional is interested in making money (which is not the case with Ian).


I'm not saying that I shouldn't roll to make the map of the city, just showing a point or two.

souldoubt
2008-01-31, 08:15 PM
Aren't Profession (Int) checks made to earn gold?

Profession is Wis based, not Int based.

Also, I agree with DavidByron that mapping the city out a few blocks at a time leaves little to no wiggle room for development later on. Trying to draw the city a few blocks at a time would be a bit like drawing an eye, a nose, a mouth, and then another eye, all completely separately from each other, and then trying to piece them together into a face. :smalltongue:

My recommendation is that you first make a rough map of the whole of Bridgeport, with basic sections blocked out, labelling areas as (for example) "The Docks," "Merchant's Quarter," "Market Square," -- and certain of these areas could be marked with generic descriptors such as "Slums" or "Middle-Class Housing" that could later be given appropriate names. I'd also say that preliminary maps should be posted in the (HQ?) OOC thread where folks can give feedback and discuss the map and the city as it develops, and go, "Yay! I'm participating!" :smallwink:

All of which reminds me I still need to post that map of the Duchy of Colos I made like a month ago (and have been too lazy to upload to the photobucket thus far :smalltongue: ).

XiaoTie
2008-01-31, 08:29 PM
"Potato" "potato", you understood ;]

And yeah, I also mentioned areas as blocks on my post, and I think that mapping in small parts is better for me IC and OOC, I don't see how it would take space to add things (both physical and "plot"ical space).

DavidByron
2008-01-31, 09:01 PM
I'm sure whichever approach you take is fine.
[hr]
You don't need to roll to make a map because you can "take ten".
[hr]

I still need to post that map of the Duchy of Colos I made like a month ago
Yay!

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-01, 12:35 AM
Remember there is a crude map with the districts of the city on it on the AdvGuild photobucket page to get you started... I can't remember which thread I was in when I gave descriptions of the different parts of the city, and I can't remember if the library was in Old or New East Bridgeport.

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 12:52 AM
Library's in old East Bridgeport because it's the old palace and because it's close to the guildhall.

souldoubt
2008-02-01, 02:04 PM
Yay!

Don't get your hopes up. It's not a very good map. :smalltongue:

XiaoTie
2008-02-01, 03:36 PM
Hey David, the Dungcarters' guild house you mentioned is located on the Old East B. or on the West B. area (according to the rough map on the photobucket) ?

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 03:52 PM
Old East Bridgeport.



Bridge (further than shown)
\
\
\
\
Library------Guildhall - Ana's
Dung----/


We know you pass the library on the way to the HQ from the bridge. We klnow that going from the Dungcarter's to HQ your path crosses the same route. We know Ana's brother's house is only about a block away but is presumably not nearly so grand. I would guess that within a few blocks of the library would be the old center of town with still some very fine shops and ex-admin buildings right next to it and old fine town houses around that.

XiaoTie
2008-02-01, 06:16 PM
How 'bout something like this I made to represent part of the Old East Bridgeport:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Adv/bridge_area.png

DavidByron
2008-02-01, 06:38 PM
That looks good.
[hr]
Trajan's bridge across the Danube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan%27s_bridge) The Danube is a big river but I think the Timber is more like the Mississippi which is about twice as wide again. So maybe an island in the middle or perhaps the Vanorians just tried a bit harder.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-02, 03:56 AM
Wow, that's a few notches above my paintbrush jobs! One clarification - the "Bridge Area" is really its own district... I can't remember where I posted this result to a local knowledge check, but we can assume the information has been spread around the guild.

I) The city of Bridgeport and its surrounding area, collectively known as The Fair City of Bridgeport, is ruled by three branches of government.
A) The Head of State and Chief Magistrate is known by the title of "Doge" (pronounced with a long "o", soft "g", and silent "e") and is elected for life by the Council of Guilds, each guild having one vote through its guildmaster. The current Doge was once master of the Smiths' guild and took the name of Aloysius III upon his accession to power forty years ago.
B) The Council of Guilds, in addition to electing the Doge, has tremendous power of the purse. All levies of gold, goods, or government employees (including the Army) must be approved by the Council (except in case of a Holy Directive). The Doge has the power to do as he pleases once these materials or persons are appropriated for government use, but he knows that if he doesn't follow the Council's recommendations on expenditures, the Council will be less likely to give him future levies he requests. Voting power for levies is not equal among the guilds, but rather works by a seniority system: the most junior guild gets one vote, the second most junior gets two votes, and so forth all the way up to the most senior guild. Seniority is determined by the chronological order in which the guilds were approved to join the council. Votes by one guild are all-or-nothing and determined by the guildmaster. The different guilds have different methods of determining who their guildmaster is.
C) The third branch, known as "The High Priests" has little power except in great crisis. Each of the most senior clerics of the three most commonly worshiped deities in The Fair City (Pelor, Yondalla, and Obad-Hai) has the authority to declare a State of Emergency in The Fair City. This triumvirate then has the power to issue certain directives that are outside the usual laws, but these directives must be unanimous (all three clerics) or they are invalid. Examples of Holy Directives in Bridgeport history include a draft of citizens for the Army and seizure of private possessions needed by the Army (both done when the city was attacked by Vanorian cavalry centuries ago) and various quarantines of the port or certain parts of the city, usually for public health reasons. States of Emergency are actually declared every few years or so by one High Priest or another, but they are usually only political saber-rattling with no real power behind them. It is very rare that the High Priests of three different deities would ever agree on anything, much less a Holy Directive!
D) The formation of a new guild must be approved by a simple majority of guildmasters plus the approval of the Doge.
II) There are no known powerful wizards or sorcerors in The Fair City, but it is vaguely rumored that some of the guildmasters had supernatural assistance in gaining power in recent years.
III) The Army of Bridgeport is small but professional, and is commanded by an appointee of the Doge who holds the rank of Marshal. There is no Navy, but the Army has a few small boats for harbor and river patrols/defense.
IV) Among the citizens of The Fair City, most humans worship Pelor, most halflings worship Yondalla, and gnomes are about evenly split between Garl Glittergold and Obad-Hai. Other deities are worshipped to a smaller extent. Not all followers of each deity fall within the traditional racial delineations. Bridgeport tradition names Obad-Hai not only as the god of nature, but also as the god of the sea, and he is frequently depicted with a garland of seaweed rather than oak leaves.
V) Some areas of the city include:
A) The Docks. On the coast of the ocean to the east of the Timber River. Known for pubs full of rowdy (but fortunately small) gnome sailors.
B) Old East Bridgeport. Just north of the Port, a mostly industrial area. This was the center of activity in Bridgeport before the Timber River trade routes opened with the Dwarves. There are quite a few homes that were once considered grand and are now crumbling (including the Adventurers' Guildhall).
C) The River Trade District. On the eastern bank of the Timber River. The center of trade with human, dwarf, and halfling cities inland.
D) New East Bridgeport. This part of town, once farmland, was developed when Aloysius III became Doge. A grid of well organized streets contains new government buildings and the more important guildhalls, as well as the homes of many government and guild officials.
E) West Bridgeport. Populated mostly by halflings, it is home to a small-boat fishing industry as well as many peat-cutters and peat-carters.
F) The Great Bridge Area, on both banks of the river, has no residential homes, but serves as a thriving downtown for shopping areas and entertainment venues.


EDIT: Oops, one inconsistency. Obad-Hai used to be the 3rd most popular deity, but in recent years he has been bumped down the list by the growing church of Garl Glittergold.

EDIT "Port" district changed to "Docks", Old "Docks" district changed to "River Trade" District.

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 09:12 AM
So maybe shrink the scale of the "library district" or "old center district" and keep the coastal outline the same size? to leave room for more stuff near the bridge?

Updated the local data sheet on Bridgeport re. the three top churches (Obad-Hai still has the authority of declaring war etc).

XiaoTie
2008-02-02, 09:30 AM
So I should take the bridge out of the map, make the area around the Librabry a bit smaller and add some more buildings to represent the "previously industrial area", right ? :smallbiggrin:

Perhaps like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Adv/adv_area.png

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-02, 01:28 PM
Looks great, as long as the coastline extends a little further south to make room for the Docks district in accordance with my beautiful map of the different districts:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/bridgeport.jpg

...err, I mean the Port District. Err...DANG IT! I've been calling the Port the Docks. OK, I think the best solution is that from now on the Port district will be called the Docks district (that purple area on the ocean). That brown district will now be called the River Trade District. I'll post this in the HQ OOC thread.

As you make more maps feel free to make things a little less square :smallsmile:

The Docks district is not only the docks and shipbuilding places and warehouses but also the pubs and boarding houses serving the dockworkers.
The Jasmine & Clove is there, as are the Weaver's Guild warehouse and a church of Garl Glittergold.

XiaoTie
2008-02-02, 01:36 PM
Looks great, as long as the coastline extends a little further south to make room for the Docks district in accordance with my beautiful map of the different districts:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/bridgeport.jpg

...err, I mean the Port District. Err...DANG IT! I've been calling the Port the Docks. OK, I think the best solution is that from now on the Port district will be called the Docks district (that purple area on the ocean). That brown district will now be called the River Trade District. I think this should only affect Team Cougar and the HQ IC thread.

As you make more maps feel free to make things a little less square :smallsmile:

The Docks district is not only the docks and shipbuilding places and warehouses but also the pubs and boarding houses serving the dockworkers.

Yeah, I left space to make the other areas. I used your map to kinda get me going :smallbiggrin: . And sure, I'll change that map later to make it a bit less "squary"

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 04:48 PM
err, I mean the Port District. Err...DANG IT! I've been calling the Port the Docks.

LOL, I think I was calling them the main docks or just "docks" and the "old docks" or the "river docks" ... or anything really but yeah two of them.

And presumably West Bridgeport must have something tho not industrialised. Some halflings like water I guess, though I think for the river only. Halfling sailors? Hmm. Maybe-- if goblins are sailors. And to get around the bog they might use light punts or other extremely shallow flat boats.

XiaoTie
2008-02-02, 05:14 PM
Here we go, a bit more round map with a strong stone road:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Loce/Adv/map-adv_area.png

DavidByron
2008-02-02, 05:43 PM
next project for Ioth: dig a secret tunnel to Ana's house. :smallsmile:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-02, 05:49 PM
Oh, I didn't mean the roundness of this particular map - I just meant the way I had the districts divided up like lego blocks.
My only concern on this map is that the ocean is so close to the dungcarter's house - I'm looking at the bottom left hand corner of the picture and thinking that if the ocean is that close to Old East Bridgeport there, that if the coast doesn't curve southward just outside the border of the picture than there's not enough room for the newly-named Docks district.
I love the way the water looks.

XiaoTie
2008-02-02, 07:28 PM
Oh, I didn't mean the roundness of this particular map - I just meant the way I had the districts divided up like lego blocks.
My only concern on this map is that the ocean is so close to the dungcarter's house - I'm looking at the bottom left hand corner of the picture and thinking that if the ocean is that close to Old East Bridgeport there, that if the coast doesn't curve southward just outside the border of the picture than there's not enough room for the newly-named Docks district.
I love the way the water looks.

Oooooooooooooh, that :thog:. That is easy. Both the curve going southward on the next map area south of this one, and getting the areas not exactly square.

souldoubt
2008-02-02, 10:14 PM
Oh, I didn't mean the roundness of this particular map - I just meant the way I had the districts divided up like lego blocks.

Maybe we're shooting more for misshapen lego blocks that some kid stuck up next to a lightbulb and partially melted. :smallbiggrin:

Sledge_bro
2008-02-08, 12:15 PM
Thats one rich begger :smallbiggrin:

XiaoTie
2008-02-08, 12:20 PM
Well, he only has a couple of coins :thog:

DavidByron
2008-02-08, 12:52 PM
1 sp a day is the rate for unskilled labour.

souldoubt
2008-02-08, 12:54 PM
Yeah, he's definitely a rich beggar now. Not rich by other standards perhaps, but rich for a beggar, to be sure.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-02-08, 10:33 PM
Exhaustion, or possibly Fatigue. Eh, whichever is worse.

I'll post soon, like couple hours or so. Tired now, long long long day.

souldoubt
2008-02-13, 05:18 PM
Did Ulysses spot any horses about? He's going to try to give chase if he can.

Daryk
2008-02-13, 07:31 PM
Better late than never!

Name: Marko
Race: Gnome (Island)
Class: Rogue
Alignment: NG
Link to Character Sheet: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8219

Shades of Gray
2008-02-13, 08:06 PM
Are you an extra member? Or are you replacing Finde?

Daryk
2008-02-13, 08:21 PM
I can't speak for Finde, but Doc told me Marko was part of Team Dingo in the HQ IC thread (post #546, the spoiler).

souldoubt
2008-02-13, 10:36 PM
Welcome! What a time to show up. A lot of things seem to be happening at once -- or at least rapidly one after another.

Daryk
2008-02-14, 06:28 AM
Thanks! It does seem interesting... we'll see how it goes from here. I tried not look back too far when composing Marko's reaction.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-02-15, 08:11 AM
Sorry I've taken so long to post. My whole computer went spoootz, and I had to replace the video card and some other stuff. I'm back now though, hopefully.

souldoubt
2008-02-15, 10:15 PM
Well, that's a pretty hilarious botch of an Intimidate roll right there. :smalltongue: Perhaps the horse Ulysses had been desperately searching for stepped on his foot just as he was opening his mouth?

XiaoTie
2008-02-17, 10:18 AM
Indeed, a major blow to someone who seems to hold himself a bit high.

On another note, I'll be moving back home tomorrow. Can take a lil while to post again because my internet conection was having some major problems. Feel free to NPC Ian, Doc.

Daryk
2008-02-19, 05:46 AM
Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be away from an internet connection for the next few days. I should be back Friday. I will also find out later today where I'll be next week, but either way, I should be home this weekend.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-20, 01:56 AM
FYI:

Besides boat traffic, there is also a road running along the east bank of the river to Midford. On horseback, that's actually faster than a galley going north against the current, if both horses and oarsmen stop to rest each night. Of course, boats are easier for transporting heavy or bulky things, so most commerce going north is by boat.

Daryk
2008-02-20, 09:43 PM
Turns out the hotel has an internet connection, though I can't guarantee access to it (it's one computer in the lobby). I'll try to check back again tomorrow.

souldoubt
2008-02-20, 11:14 PM
Besides boat traffic, there is also a road running along the east bank of the river to Midford. On horseback, that's actually faster than a galley going north against the current, if both horses and oarsmen stop to rest each night.

Too bad we don't have acces to horses, or the funds to acquire horses, or probably the time to purchase horses if we did have the means. :smallfrown:

Edit: During this "encounter," you have no idea how hard it's been to refrain from having Ulysses shout out: "A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!" :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-25, 06:04 AM
Hmm... I'd have to hunt back through the threads, but I believe a couple of the original guildmembers brought steeds - I think one riding horse and one donkey - to the Adventurer's guild. I can't remember who had the horse but I think it was Erutaron who had the donkey, and he left. So, based on that information, you would probably only be able to borrow one horse from another guild member back at headquarters.

XiaoTie
2008-02-26, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, back from the trip. I’ll have to put down my character here, now that college is starting again I won’t have as much time I had before when I applied to the game, so I would not be able to keep up with the fast pace. It was nice while it lasted, good luck to everyone and good game. Doc can freely use Ian as a NPC if he wishes :smallsmile:

Sledge_bro
2008-02-26, 11:12 AM
Bye, thanks for playing :smallbiggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-26, 01:16 PM
Thanks for letting us know Xiao. I'll take Ian from here.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-02-26, 09:41 PM
Awww. Stupid Real life getting in the way of fun.

Hope to see you around though.

Bonecrusher, will we get another member up ahead? Or after this little segment of the adventure?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-02-26, 11:59 PM
I'm considering just letting the team stay at 5 players. Do you guys have any feelings on that one way or the other?

Daryk
2008-02-27, 06:07 AM
Consider me agnostic on the point of group size. :smallsmile:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-02-27, 04:11 PM
I'm fine either way I'd say. Be good to have one, but I think things would be smoother without the sixth member for a while.

I'm atheist on party size then. :smalltongue:

souldoubt
2008-02-27, 05:30 PM
I'm atheist on party size then. :smalltongue:

Would that mean that you don't believe in party size? Heh. Jk.

As for me, I have no real opinion one way or the other. However, if you happen find a arcane caster lying about somewhere, you might wanna chuck him/her/it our way. Barring that circumstance, I'd say we'll do just fine with 5.

Shades of Gray
2008-02-27, 06:10 PM
I love how team dingo is the totally unblanced odd team out.

Other teams have a mix of classes. Most are like:
2 warrior types.
1 rogue type.
1 arcane
1 divine
1 5th wheel.

While we are:
2 warrior types
2 divine
1 rogue type.

also let's look at our characters:

two incredibly stubborn males (Durx and Ulysses)
two incredibly tall people (Durx and Althea)
one incredibly short person (Marko)
one old person (Omoris)
one person with a speaking disability (used to be Ian).
a half-orc raised by dwarves.
a shipwrecked sea-gnome with horrible luck.
a bastard son
a barbarian woman
an old guy who has been in the wild for 40 something years.

Are other groups this odd/disfunctional or is it just us?:smalltongue:

Daryk
2008-02-27, 07:14 PM
Make that a ship-wrecked sea-gnome... :smallsmile:

Sledge_bro
2008-02-29, 11:38 AM
Omoris isn't old, he's just.... very well matured :smallwink:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-03-01, 10:29 AM
The polite artistic barbarian woman too.

We're awesome, also would it be alright if I just bunny Ulysses and Durx and Althea to the town to grab supplies to move it along a bit?

souldoubt
2008-03-01, 02:25 PM
We're awesome, also would it be alright if I just bunny Ulysses and Durx and Althea to the town to grab supplies to move it along a bit?

Did I give the impression that Ulysses was lolligagging around? As far as I'm concerned, and unless some very firm physical force attempts to intervene, we're already there. :smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2008-03-01, 02:28 PM
I believe so as well.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-03-01, 04:35 PM
*gasp* We are! I thought there was a gelatinous cube in the wall :smalltongue:

Anyways, posting now for Althea. Getting stuff and whatnot. I think she'll leave the talky bits to Ulysses.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-03-06, 07:14 AM
Artifex, you mean halfling fishermen, not gnomish sailors.

There are quite a lot of nautical types in this campaign. Halfling fishermen, dwarf raftriders... but it is the gnomes who you would want working on your ship if you are actually out on the ocean. (They are also the only ones to get a racial bonus to Profession Sailor.)

And just assume automatic success on Spot checks for the Team Dingo members on the shore and on the boat to see each other.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-03-06, 05:34 PM
Bugger all, I'll edit that soon. Thanks for catching that for me.

Sledge_bro
2008-03-08, 04:54 AM
I am going to new york until thursday tomorrow (hopefully getting brawl while i am there to go with my freeloader) so omoris wil be in the backround for a while.

I didn't thinkl about the porpoise thing.. that could have killed marko :P

*ki-ki!*

*poof!*

*gurgle..*

Daryk
2008-03-08, 09:32 AM
Nah, Marko can swim, just not as fast as a porpoise...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-03-09, 07:02 AM
I hope my edit of the Dingo IC post clarifies things some. I certainly don't want people to feel that things like Relentless and Endurance are going to be ignored in this campaign. It's really just the limitations of the boat - no matter how hard you row, it's just not going to go very fast against the current.
Oh, and you're right it would be a little easier going on the other side of the river where there is a road. Still not a piece of cake to keep up with that mini-galley hiking the whole way though.
I'll try to be good about including saving throws, etc, although realize for example, even if Ulysses can keep rowing but Althea gets tired, you're not going to do very well only rowing on one side of the boat! :smallsmile:

Daryk
2008-03-09, 08:38 AM
It struck me that my post in the HQ OOC thread probably better fits here...

Doc,
If the "galley" (keelboat, whatever) has a "windsinger" onboard, that could give them the speed boost you're looking for. The feat is from Stormwrack (and can be found here: http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...indsinger,Sto). The pre-requisites are 5 ranks of perform (sing or wind instrument) and bardic music. This was something I was looking at for Marko someday. The fishing boat might have a decent speed at the moment, but if the wind shifts after they pick us up (or dump them off... we haven't looked at that option yet), that could slow us down while leaving the galley's speed intact (due to their windsinger). Overall, I think we need to get the others ashore vice putting us all on the fishing boat. At least ashore we can keep up. Is the other bank any easier going? Maybe the fisherman could ferry us across, and we could hustle for a short time to catch up to the "galley"...

souldoubt
2008-03-10, 08:14 PM
although realize for example, even if Ulysses can keep rowing but Althea gets tired, you're not going to do very well only rowing on one side of the boat! :smallsmile:

True, but that's fine. I'm not trying to meta-game or argue my way into catching up with the other boat, I was just trying to wrap my mind around the DM telling me "your character is tired" when my character doesn't actually get tired. :smallsmile:

DavidByron
2008-03-18, 08:15 PM
Just copying a message Doc left in the HQ OOC thread since he hasn't been able to get on-line since Sunday and I know some people don't check the HQ threads:


I'm at a small base this week and the internet connection is really struggling. So I may not be posting much until after Easter. I think we have a few other people traveling with their families on Spring Break, etc, so this may be a bit of a siesta from the threads, then hopefully we can all get going again.

DavidByron
2008-03-22, 12:32 AM
Doc's last access is still last Sunday so it seems as he predicted he won't be able to post or even read the boards until after Easter (ie until Monday?)

I thought it might be worthwhile highlighting a post of his from 2 weeks ago where he handed out XP for everyone (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4026615&postcount=684). You can read the details there but briefly, team A +200xp, team B +300xp, team C +275xp, team D +250xp.

Bonus xp was handed out for stuff going on in the HQ thread as follows:Durx(5), Matthew(15), Althea(5), Kyte(10), Jeff(5), Shiela(5), Ulysses(5), Dravick(5) and Zan(5).

Now I think this means the totals for everyone are as follows:
{table]{table] A|XP|bonus
Vlax|900|0
Fin|900|0
Matthias|900|0
Matthew|916|20
Berwin|900|0
I| | [/table]| |{table]B|XP|bonus
Surian|800|0
Dravick|810|10
Victor|800|0
Zan|705|5
Kyte|710|10
Inagu|300|0[/table]| |{table]C|XP|bonus
Shiela|785|10
Jeff|780|5
Sharn|775|0
Iva|775|0
Balthazar|775|0
Gylvin|775|0[/table]| |{table]D|XP|bonus
Durx|255|5
Ulysses|260|10
Althea|255|5
Omoris|250|0
Marko|250|0
I| | [/table][/table]

The bonus xp is included in those totals. Matthew has 916 because he spent 4 xp on scrolls.
[hr]
Couple of days left before Doc gets back. I am going to look at updating the data pages again. Does anyone want to submit different quotations? (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc9bxccj_61f6ffqbfb#) Also a reminder that Shades of grey has offered to make OOTS style avatars (http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/) if you're wondering why some people have avatars next to their quotes and some do not.

Duped to all four team OOC threads.

Sledge_bro
2008-03-22, 06:07 AM
Hehe, one of the oldest members of the guild is the least experienced :smallbiggrin:

I must remember to post more :)

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-03-25, 12:03 PM
Daryk, my link to Marko's character sheet doesn't seem to be working. Could you check it and post it again here please?

Daryk
2008-03-25, 06:09 PM
This should work... let me know if it doesn't.

http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8219

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-03-26, 11:55 AM
Reference my earlier post about experience points...

DING!

Oh, and thank you Daryk, the link to your character sheet works.

Daryk
2008-03-26, 08:14 PM
Oh right... you moved Durx to get us all together in the boat...

{auctioneer's voice}
250...
250...
250...
do I hear 300?
{/auctioneer's voice}
:smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2008-03-26, 08:28 PM
Sorry I haven't been posting, to tell you the truth I didn't understand what was going on, now I'm up to speed.

Do the other teams have team leaders, if so, then we should elect one (might be cool)

I'd assume it would be either Ulysses, Althea, or Durx. Omoris would also work, but I doubt RP wise we would listen to him (the majority of us being young and stubborn)

Sorry I haven't got around to doing avatars, I'll probably get started on it tomorrow.

Daryk
2008-03-26, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure no one who gets an avatar would ever think of holding the delay against you... :smallbiggrin:

Not sure we need a formal "leader". Consensus usually works pretty well in small groups.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-01, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately Sentinel cannot carry Daryk because he does not know the tricks Come, Heel, and Stay required to bear a rider. However, you could probably have Sentinel help carry someone's equipment.

I'm assuming you want the party to stay together. If y'all really want to do the math to balance out equipment and calculate the maximum movement rate for the party we can do that. I'll even give you each a couple (2) bonus XP for a well-planned road march. But if you'd rather just say that the party starts hiking as fast as they can sticking together, I'll go ahead and skip time for you so we don't get bogged down in details.

If nobody starts calculations by the next time I post in the Dingo IC thread (somewhere between 8-24 hours from now), I'll assume the 2 bonus XP wasn't a desirable enough reward.

Also a gentle reminder to try to use the OOC thread for OOC discussions. Using a spoiler in the IC thread is OK once in a while but it does clutter things.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-01, 03:56 PM
If someone else carries Althea's satchel o' stuff, then she could carry Marko piggy back or something and not even go above light load by about 13 pounds. :smalltongue:

Still, am I right to assume that the boat is currently still stuck by traffic, and the plan currently is for Marko to make his anchor and attach it to the back of the boat, effectively slowing it down quite a bit?

Also, hopefully Althea is better then a dog at least. >_<

souldoubt
2008-04-01, 05:08 PM
The maximum speed that the group can move at (assuming we stick together) would be 20 ft, unless Ulysses and Durx took their armor off (if Durx is even wearing his; I don't know). However, that's something that A) would take extra time and B) Ulysses probably wouldn't be happy with, mostly because of reason A, and also because his armor partly defines who/what he is. He's not likely to think about the fact that increasing their speed is likely to save them time in the long run. So if someone wants to boost the overall group speed, they'll have to convince Ulysses. As you may have noticed, he's the "charge ahead" type not the "plan things carefully" type (there's that 9 Wis again), so he's not about to be scheming some way to redistribute weight or whatever. I'll leave anything like that up to someone else, if they so desire.

Ulysses would be willing to support Marko's plan of Althea carrying him ahead and whatnot, and he'll carry whatever is needed to make room for a gnome on Althea's back. I hope I'm not skirting to dangerously close to metagaming by saying that, but I didn't want anyone to assume that his impatience is going to make him an unhelpful, stubborn ass. :smalltongue: Couldn't say it IC, 'cause the plan hasn't been proposed IC yet.

Daryk
2008-04-01, 06:16 PM
With Durx in armor, and on the rougher bank, we were able to keep up with vessel. Since Althea moves twice as fast as we could have been moving before, I think we should be able to get ahead of it with little trouble. The rest of the group could easily overtake it as well, if they take off their armor, and might even be able to catch it in armor if they hustle. Unfortunately, Marko isn't thinking in that vein at the moment. He's preoccupied with the idea of the sea anchor (like all gnomes, gadgets are just too interesting).

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-01, 10:58 PM
Team Dingo - where Gnome carrying is an everyday event and dancers get stolen weekly!

Althea is a little leery of giving her pack to anyone right now, especially after Durx dropped all of her stuff on the ground, so she might not immediately suggest it. Or specifically ask Ulysses to carry it.

Wow. I just realized how many double meanings will be had by next post. I do not apologize for any of them.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-01, 11:44 PM
Still, am I right to assume that the boat is currently still stuck by traffic, and the plan currently is for Marko to make his anchor and attach it to the back of the boat, effectively slowing it down quite a bit?



The boat is not stuck in traffic anymore, but it's not too far ahead. It's reasonable to think that you could catch up with it; it's just a question of how long you'd be able to keep up that pace.

Daryk
2008-04-02, 05:11 AM
So how long will it take Marko to make a sea anchor? Some double (or triple) stitching ought to do the trick, but I personally haven't pushed a needle through canvas in a long time. Figure he takes 10 on his Profession/Sailor check to do it (for a total result of 16).

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-02, 08:51 AM
If we followed the game mechanics strictly on this it would be ridiculous. Suffice it to say that, since Daryk has the tools and his backstory indicates that he's familiar with the item, he succeeds in making a very simple sea anchor in 20 minutes. (How well it will work remains to be seen.)

Daryk
2008-04-02, 06:10 PM
Hopefully Marko's last statement was only slightly confusing. He's got gears turning at full throttle, and isn't exactly coherent at the moment.

Daryk
2008-04-03, 05:16 PM
Um... I'm Daryk. The gnome making the sea anchor is Marko..:smallbiggrin:

What time of day is it when the group sees the vessel coming up the river behind them? I (and Marko) have lost track of time...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-04, 03:44 AM
D'OH! Daryk would make a good character name too, though.

It's maybe 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Nice sunny day.

Sledge_bro
2008-04-04, 02:37 PM
No bonus to hide checks then :smallbiggrin:

Daryk
2008-04-06, 02:26 PM
Souldoubt is correct, Marko can't take 10 on aiding another, but since a roll of 1 isn't an automatic failure for skill checks, he can't fail to aid another with a +11 modifier. I think that means everyone (except Marko) gets the +2 for being aided.

Daryk
2008-04-07, 05:14 AM
Doc, I'm just glad we have something to call it besides "the vessel" now... :smallbiggrin:

Daryk
2008-04-07, 07:45 PM
Sorry about that Doc... didn't mean to get all nautical on you... :smallbiggrin:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-07, 09:54 PM
I guess the only real question is who gets to wear the Cheshire Cat Grin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CheshireCatGrin)?

Althea, who gets to throw a gnome, or Marko who gets to nearly wreck a boat?

souldoubt
2008-04-14, 04:19 PM
What reason would Marko and Omoris have to wait until Althea had reached the boat before swimming out? Wouldn't they be right behind her in the water and either a) be caught in the torch light (:smalleek:), or b) be hidden against the side of the boat along with her (:smallcool:)?

Sorry, not trying to be obnoxious.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-14, 04:29 PM
I figured they were going one at a time in order to be stealthy. Three people swimming across at once would be pretty noticeable, even in the dark. No big deal though, they can just hold their breath to swim underwater once they reach the torchlight. Except for probably Sentinel.

Daryk
2008-04-14, 05:48 PM
It does modify the rope plan a bit, though. To keep it out of the torchlight will mean affixing it to something underwater.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-14, 06:59 PM
Out of curiosity, how deep is the water? Since if it is too deep, then our heavy friends would sink and be unable to get by without being seen. But deep enough, they might be able to hold their breath while the swim/Althea pulls them to bring them to the small island.

That, or we might need to board the boat and just establish a good foothold before setting the line up for them to come over. With the line already set up, the job's already a quarter done.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-15, 01:44 AM
Over ten feet deep.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-17, 03:57 PM
To Daryk and Sledge.

Should I just have Althea storm the thing by climbing quickly, or should we wait a bit or what? I'm in favor of storming, but I'm willing to listen to whatever you guys think we should do as well.

Daryk
2008-04-17, 06:59 PM
Artifex,
I'm more inclined to have Marko sneak up and take a look around before we make a decision like that. I'll hold off on that plan until we reach a consensus, though. I'd certainly prefer that we take the watchman down by stealth, and sneak our target over the side with us. If we decide on storming the vessel, though, I'd prefer to have the whole party do it at the same time.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-17, 07:37 PM
And this is why I'm a barbarian.

Still, I'm not so sure how viable stealth is going to be, as climbing over a boat railing doesn't strike me as something that could easily be done unseen. Assuming Finde is there, he would probably be awake and he would be a dangerous bugger with his bow for Ulysses and Durx, while the rest of his group would hold Althea, Omoris and Marko up.

If we could get the light knocked over, that would be best, especially if a bird or something did it. Still, I wouldn't mind trying a stealth approuch, but I have some doubts about it, and I don't want Marko skewered by everything on top of the boat the moment he comes over.

Course, just trying to break the boat might work. Yay for +11 strength checks to break stuff.

On the serious note, I'm going to cast a vote for a surgical strike, and just have Ulysses and Durx splash their way over if it doens't work.

Shades of Gray
2008-04-17, 07:58 PM
Maybe I can distract them? I have a crossbow, I can use Light on my bolts, and fire, then quickly move from that location, someone will probably wonder what it was, and at least one would probably leave the ship, I would wrap a leaf or something around the bolt, so it doesn't glow before it is shot.

I also have detect magic, which would also be useful, I can also still smite once, and gain a strength bonus for one check... I dunno, just trying to be useful here, as useful as a 7ft. tall half-orc in scalemail can be in this sort of situation.

Daryk
2008-04-18, 05:36 AM
With his Hide check, I'm pretty sure Marko could at least take a peek without being seen, and the information will help us decide on the best approach. If there are no objections by tonight, I'll post Marko peering over the gunnel.

Daryk
2008-04-19, 09:15 AM
Man, that was close! The elf is going to make things difficult. Maybe if he'll be nice enough to stand out where we can shoot him, we'll have a chance... :smallbiggrin:

Sledge_bro
2008-04-19, 10:04 AM
I wonder if those 20 guys rowing are slaves of some sort or actual crew members in on the act...

and if they are on the side of the kidnappers, could this mean that we could not take them all on, and need guerilla tactics? Even If they are commoner 1, I doubt we could take 20. Unless we blockaded the trapdoor or however they go onto the deck...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-19, 11:19 AM
For clarification, there is no deck underneath the one that the oarsmen are on. The only enclosed spaces on the boat are the fore and aft cabins, which do not have trap doors, but rather standard doors that open onto the rowing deck and ladders that lead up to a "poop deck" and whatever you would call the equivalent at the bow. So you wouldn't be able to trap the oarsmen "down below."
Also I didn't mention it specifically in Marko's observations but the oarsmen are not shackled to their oars as in the stereotypical slave galley.

Shades of Gray
2008-04-24, 04:54 PM
Are my spells recharged now?

If so, I'll prepare:

0: Same as before

1: Magic Weapon, Inflict Light Wounds, Enlarge Person (Domain)

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-24, 11:59 PM
Good, thanks.

Sledge_bro
2008-04-27, 02:50 AM
I have used Longstrider, leaving me with;

1- Entangle

0- Cure minor wounds, Light, Mending

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-27, 05:34 AM
Marko's second crossbow attack roll was a 19!
[roll0]
[roll1]

Daryk
2008-04-27, 06:19 AM
Woohoo! Remind me to get you to roll for me more often! :smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2008-04-27, 09:52 AM
Aren't crossbow 20/x3 crits. not 19-20/x(whatever)?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-27, 11:44 AM
I double-checked (v 3.5 PHB and d20SRD), it's 19-20/x2.
With Rapid Reload (Heavy Crossbow) Marko can reload as a move action, so he still gets a shot each round as long as he stays put (I'm not including taking a small step to the side so he doesn't shoot Durx in the back).

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-27, 12:41 PM
@Omoris

I noticed you put 1d20+5 for Sentinel's attack roll. I'm guessing you meant he was charging (+2 to attack roll), but I'm going to rule there are too many people at the top of the gangplank for him to charge unobstructed.
Doesn't matter, he still hits, and better for you in the long run - Sentinel doesn't take the -2 AC penalty next round.

Rolling damage for Sentinel's bite:

[roll0]

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-27, 02:51 PM
I'm going to have to ask Ulysses here to use his rather large Intimidate factor to make some of these buggers just give up Kata and let us go before a certain female with a large sword rages.

After all, not all of them must be guilty of doing their job and we might be able to just scare them off without a large amount of blood shed.

Especially since it would not be very, um, Good to slaughter everyone and steal their awesome boat.

Shades of Gray
2008-04-27, 03:13 PM
The 14 foot tall Half-Orc will probably help there as well.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-27, 04:09 PM
That'll work, though I would have thought that same half orc was caving in some poor bugger's skull right now. :smalltongue:

Either way, am I right is saying we should go for a not-as-violent approach right now?

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-29, 11:51 AM
Waiting on Ulysses. If he hasn't posted by the time I get off work tomorrow (about 19 hours from now) then I'll post on his behalf.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-04-30, 08:34 AM
[roll0] ; [roll1]. Hit!
[roll2] ; [roll3]. Miss!
[roll4] ; [roll5]. Hit!
[roll6] ; [roll7]. Miss!

Daryk
2008-04-30, 06:41 PM
Oops... slight miscalculation there. I thought the sailor was further away than that, but Marko will cope.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-30, 06:54 PM
Bugger. I want to whack something with an angry Althea. I don't think I'll get as good an opportunity for some time. Ah well. It looks like we're about to finish off this mini-odyssey we've been on for a while.

souldoubt
2008-04-30, 11:10 PM
Wow, I obviously have no idea what is going on in this combat. I felt compelled to post because Doc said everyone was waiting on me, so I ended up posting before I'd gotten all the details straight (clearly). :smallannoyed:

Oh well. I guess I'm up again.

Daryk
2008-05-04, 12:33 PM
Doc,
How far into the weeds do you want us to get with regard to sailing the river galley back to Bridgeport? I think we can do it without having to sleep, since we'll have the current with us (at least once Marko removes the sea anchor). The three men overboard are a concern, but if they want their stuff, they should come back once they see we're not summarily executing their shipmates. I'm inclined to lock most of the oarsmen in the deck cabins, and only keep an absolute minimum on deck (zero preferably). Going down stream we may not even need the sail, and Marko should be able to man the helm himself.

-Daryk

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-04, 01:12 PM
Going downstream you should be fine with a man at the rudder and a lookout at the bow. It's not a very big boat. Built for speed mainly, not much cargo capacity. You might need your comrades to help a little bit with the oars when you dock in Bridgeport, but nothing that requires any skill. Marko knows this information because of his experience.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-04, 01:22 PM
Since Althea isn't going to be much help for a bit, both some after effects of raging and the rage itself, I'll input what her/my thoughts would be.

I do think we'll need to tie/restrain Finde. He's a fast/tough little bugger and if he has a head start then even Althea won't catch up to him. As for locking up the oarsmen, I think most of them are scared to death of us, so we could make do having two or three out if we need to. Marko can do most of the nautical stuff without much trouble, so I think we're set.

And we have a boat! Which in good conscience I don't think we can entirely steal. But a boat nonetheless.

Out of curiosity, how useful would it be to hire said boat into the Guild itself?

Daryk
2008-05-04, 01:43 PM
Well, being the vessel's master is lying on the river bank with a crossbow bolt through his chest, I'm not sure how much hiring there will be. If he had a will, we'll hear about it when we get back to Bridgeport. And even if there is a will, there's the whole "seized in the course of a kidnapping" card the guild can play.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-04, 03:27 PM
A Review:
7 oarsmen jumped overboard, including the one that Ulysses scared
9 healthy oarsmen on deck + 1 healthy oarsman on the bank
2 wounded oarsmen on deck (one of them is at 0 HP)
1 dead oarsman
1 dead helmsman
2 guard-looking guys and 1 Finde, all unconscious and bleeding, and if you wait any longer to Cure Wounds you won't have to worry about tying them up.

There's rope a-plenty on the ship. Remember to do a Use Rope check if you tie somebody up.

Daryk
2008-05-04, 04:36 PM
7 jumped overboard?! Yikes! Marko's a bit more nervous than previously described, then... :smalleek:

Edit: Shades, I might recommend only using one Cure Minor Wounds on each of the three kidnappers. That will stabilize them, and when they do come around, they'll be disabled. If you bring them up to positive hit points, they'll be functional and dangerous. That leaves the CLW for Althea.

souldoubt
2008-05-04, 05:43 PM
Edit: Shades, I might recommend only using one Cure Minor Wounds on each of the three kidnappers. That will stabilize them, and when they do come around, they'll be disabled. If you bring them up to positive hit points, they'll be functional and dangerous. That leaves the CLW for Althea.

I concur with this suggestion.

Daryk
2008-05-04, 08:09 PM
I think it's still early morning, so we should be able to get back to Bridgeport by dark, or at least before we need to sleep. If the oarsmen who jumped overboard would rather walk back to Bridgeport and negotiate with the watch for their possessions, they can do that.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-09, 08:48 AM
OK people. We've got to decide what to call this darn thing. Boat, ship, river galley, monoreme? I understand "the vessel" is not popular. But what we've got is a watercraft with a single deck, a single sail, and five oars with benches on each side, two oarsmen to each oar. (Well, only twelve oarsmen left now from the original twenty.) I found this stuff on Wikipedia:


The galliot or galiot emerged as a smaller, lighter type of galley. The number of oars or sweeps varied from 10 to 22 per side, the larger ones having twenty-five on each side. It could have one or two masts.

The fusta or fuste (also called foist or galliot) was a narrow, light and fast ship with shallow draft, powered by both oars and sail -– in essence a small galley. It typically had 12 to 18 two-man rowing benches on each side, a single mast with a lateen (triangular) sail, and usually carried two or three guns. The sail was used to cruise and save the rowers’ energy, while the oars propelled the ship in and out of harbor and during combat. The fusta was the favorite ship of the North African corsairs of Salé and the Barbary Coast. Its speed, mobility, capability to move without wind, and its ability to operate in shallow water made it an ideal vessel for war and piracy.


Vote for your favorite name for "the vessel" here! Also vote if it is a boat or a ship! Then Marko and Althea and "The Nose" can argue about it IC :smalltongue:

souldoubt
2008-05-09, 11:38 AM
It's clearly a longboat. Plain and simple. :smallwink:

And I think it is a boat, rather than a ship. In my mind at least, a ship is sea-going vessel, whereas this is not. Of course, it's a silly semantic distinction, and I don't think it matters all that much if we call it a boat or a ship. I'm sure there are plenty of languages where the distinction doesn't even exist.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-09, 01:27 PM
I guess my original consternation as to what to call it came from trying to force it to fit into one of the categories in the 3.0 DMG pp. 150-151. It actually falls in somewhere between the descriptions of a LONGSHIP and a KEELBOAT, so I suppose LONGBOAT would be a good term.

I wouldn't say it's not a sea-going vessel, as both longships and keelboats "can make sea voyages," but I suppose I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable if I were in this boat out of sight of land and the wind was picking up!

Didn't mean to omit Omoris, Ulysses, and Durx when I said this:

Then Marko and Althea and "The Nose" can argue about it IC.
For some reason I was thinking Althea had some sort of nautical backstory, but maybe that's Shiela... hm, I don't see it on either of their character sheets. Oh well.

Daryk
2008-05-09, 06:17 PM
Curiously enough, longboats are smaller than either keelboats or longships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longboat.

As described, I think the vessel has five two-man rowing benches on each side, which is smaller than either the galliot or fuste. Under the "Norfolk Wherry" article, there's mention of a "Norfolk Keel", which sounds about right, but also mightily like a keelboat. If you wanted to go beyond "keelboat", make it something between keelboat and longship, call it a "Bridgeport Keel":
75 feet long, 20 foot beam, clinker built, 10 oars ("sweeps") with room for two to row, one square-rigged mast, a crew of 21-25, fore and aft cabins, cargo capacity 50 tons, capable of making sea voyages, and a speed of 2 miles per hour under oar or sail. Cost: 5,000 gp.

Oh, and call it a "ship"... :smallbiggrin:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-09, 09:49 PM
For some reason I was thinking Althea had some sort of nautical backstory, but maybe that's Shiela... hm, I don't see it on either of their character sheets. Oh well.

Ah yes, Althea. The girl dressed in furs who basically walked from the mountains to Bridgeport and barely knows what an oar is. Surprisingly studious sailer there. :smallwink:

Either way, fun times no matter what. I think we need a name for our boat as well. Like Finde's Folly or something.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 05:53 AM
The miles per hour thing gets me. I think I'm trying to be too mathematical about this. Because when I read in DMG that a boat or ship's speed is 2 mph, then I have them going upriver against a 3 mph current, does that mean it's impossible for them to go upriver? I probably just need to not worry about it so much. Thanks for the stats, by the way, Daryk.

I guess for continuity's sake I'll continue calling it a small galley, mainly to help with the description of its shape, rather than its size. It's basically a miniature galley/galliot. It's statistics are closer to that of keelboat, but keelboat gives me the impression/flavor of a broader boat in which the oars are secondary to the sail for propulsion - I want this to be a narrow boat with the oars as primary propulsion, and galley gives it the medieval Mediterranean feel I want, rather than the Nordic connotations with longship.

Also for narration I'll call it a boat, but I like the idea of our sailor Marko always correcting the less nautical members of the party, insisting that it's a ship!

Daryk
2008-05-10, 07:13 AM
Doc, I don't have Stormwrack, but I suspect the solution to your dilemma is in there somewhere. As far as working against the current, the 2 mph per thing was listed like the keelboat and longship entries in the 3.5 PHB, i.e. oars OR sail. The vessel was going up stream under oars AND sail, though I wouldn't object if you upped the speed to 3 mph like a longship (as the argument then becomes 3 mph sail plus 3 mph rowing less 3 mph current). And if you really want to do away with the Nordic feel, drop the clinker built part of the description. That's Nordic all the way. And give it a lateen rig vice a square sail. As far as a name, if this English-Croatian dictionary I found is correct, "galija" could work, perhaps with a diminutive suffix.

Incidentally, if we look beyond Wikipedia, galliot may just fit (though it's a French word): http://books.google.com/books?id=JKY8yZFChX4C&pg=PA208&lpg=PA208&dq=%22small+galley%22+galliot&source=web&ots=z3NxMu8d7y&sig=tDmBbVa9s_TR5JTgKcQ9dyV4Fe8&hl=en

And in answer to your much earlier question about the area on top of the fore cabin (vice the "poop deck" above the after cabin), that would be the focsle.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 07:48 AM
Focsle = Forecastle, right? Perfect. Is there another term for poop deck? Aftcastle?

I agree, Lateen rig is more of what I'm looking for than a square sail. (after I looked up what it meant).

2-3mph with oars plus 2-3mph with sail sounds good, as this boat/ship is built for speed.

And looking up clinker v. carvel I don't think I'll even worry about that distinction. Marko can talk about it if he likes. The same with any other small details.

Perhaps someone would even like to do some artwork of the Adventurer's Guild naval assets.

'Twould be nice if Ulysses would post soon, but no need for other folks to wait on him. Let's try to get a quick consensus on where to go next, Khorinis or Bridgeport.

My impression of Durx' healing the two horsemen and Finde was that you wanted them stable but not fit to fight again, so you can assume they're disabled, as well as bound and gagged.

Daryk
2008-05-10, 08:21 AM
Foclse was derived from forecastle, yes. If you don't like poop deck (from the French 'poupe' or stern), you could say stern deck or quarterdeck (though the latter wouldn't be completely accurate).

As far as Khorinis vs. Bridgeport, I don't think there were any votes in favor of Khorinis until after we go to Bridgeport (or at least that's what I was trying to have Marko convey).

I'll see what I can do in the way of a sketch. I'll be working with 75' long by 20' beam with rounded bow and stern, one mast, a shallow draft, and five two-man benches on each side for the oars.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 09:01 AM
I don't know if the bow should be rounded or square. I know we said there was a rudder, rather than steering with an oar. Perhaps something like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/agreeve/seacol/GALLEY.gif

But shorter, oars as you described, only one mast, with small bow and stern decks.

Daryk
2008-05-10, 10:06 AM
I believe you also said there was a tiller vice a wheel, correct?

I'll figure something out for the bow, but at the very least, the fore cabin has to be big enough to sleep the crew in inclement weather and the two aforementioned horses.

Shorter... hmmm.... 65' perhaps?

Daryk
2008-05-10, 12:38 PM
I've uploaded a draft sketch of the ship into the photobucket account. When I tried to log in, it forced me to change the password, so it's now "bonecrusher2". DB, please make a note on the data page. The ovals in the fore cabin are places to hang triple stacks of hammocks (when there aren't any horses up there). I squeezed it all in to 65', but it was tight, especially for the crew. The binnacle back aft is essentially a compass mounted to protect it from the weather in a position where the helmsman can read it.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/DingoShip.jpg

Edit: Oops... forgot to mention the cargo doors. The heavier lines on the bulkheads bounding the fore and aft cabins are meant to represent sliding doors. The aft cargo section door will open to a maximum of 5', while opening both halves of the forward door will yield a 10' opening. Additionally, the port sliding door forward has a smaller regular door mounted in it for pedestrian use. If Doc wants, we could mount a similar door in the aft cargo door as well.

DavidByron
2008-05-10, 04:30 PM
For those not following other threads you might want to check this out:

There's a big "explain the plot and decide what to do" meeting here in the HQ 2 IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4307801#post4307801). It takes place in the guild house library once all the teams are back at the guild house.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 04:55 PM
Ooh, I dig the ship schematics.

I believe I actually had the two horses and the two horsemen in the aft cabin and Kata in the bow cabin.

Horses are not standard cargo on this craft, so we could have the aft cabin all one compartment that typically has cargo stacked in part of it and the skipper's quarters as you already drew it. Just simpler, with only the one door to the deck.

The crew can stretch tarpaulins across the benches to sleep under in bad weather, similar to how the dwarves pitch tents on their log rafts. This boat doesn't really do multi-day trips across the ocean, and it needs all the cargo space it can get, so there's really no room to put the crew in the cabins - even with hammocks stacked three high, there's no room to put standard equipment, like the ropes and lanterns and blankets I mentioned.

You are correct, the ship has a tiller, not a wheel.

Daryk
2008-05-10, 05:41 PM
D'oh! You're right... I swapped fore and aft with the horses. I think you're saying to remove the galley and the bulkhead between what used to be the galley and the cargo space, right? If that's the case, I'll duplicate the arrangement forward with double cargo doors and a pedestrian door built in to one of them. I'll leave a crew's head in a corner of the fore cabin, behind a curtain.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 05:53 PM
D'oh! You're right... I swapped fore and aft with the horses. I think you're saying to remove the galley and the bulkhead between what used to be the galley and the cargo space, right? If that's the case, I'll duplicate the arrangement forward with double cargo doors and a pedestrian door built in to one of them. I'll leave a crew's head in a corner of the fore cabin, behind a curtain.

Yeah, sounds great. This is a wicked cool boat. The suggestion for a name sounds good - the characters should come up with a name for it IC, although I hate when the thread slows down when characters try to come to a consensus on something. Maybe we should decide on the name OOC first before a character names the boat IC.

Shades of Gray
2008-05-10, 06:06 PM
Actually, if people were going to name it IC, and argue over it. I'd take paper, write "A Bloody Waste of Time" on it and stick it to the boat, explaining "Where I come from, time is precious, we can't waste it on naming a boat"... I could so see Durx doing that.

Daryk
2008-05-10, 06:21 PM
I'm working on a post getting us underway back to Bridgeport (with a last chance for the ones who jumped overboard to come back). Unless there's some objection, I'll post it when I finish it up in the next few minutes.

As far as a name, Marko would go for "Sampo", the talisman of good luck in his god's "possession" (it was broken up and scattered at sea in Finnish (read: "gnomish") mythology.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-10, 06:22 PM
Roger Shades, I guess there are better things to do than name the boat.

Not to railroad people here, but a few suggestions for anyone wondering what their character could do next:

1) Do something with the bodies
2) Do something with the oarsmen (tell them what to do)
3) Do something with the weapons on deck
4) Do something with Finde and the two horsemen
5) Get the boat on its way to Bridgeport

Daryk
2008-05-10, 06:28 PM
Not trying to railroad either, but here's what Marko has suggested on the various points so far:

1) Take them back to Bridgeport for proper burial.
2) Um, working on that in the post I'm drafting (to the tune of "make ready to get underway").
3) Keep them out of the oarsmen's hands.
4) Ok, got me there.
5) One post doing that, coming right up.

Daryk
2008-05-10, 07:14 PM
After wrangling with photobucket for far longer than I should have, I've finally managed to delete the old schematic and upload the new one. I can still make changes if necessary. The only change I made that we hadn't discussed previously was shrinking the Master's cabin by a little bit (to increase the cargo area).

DavidByron
2008-05-11, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if team Dingo's mission ties in with the other plots flying around. I didn't think it did by now I'm not so sure. Anyway it might be best for someone from Dingo to be at this meeting to keep up to date and make sure everyone knows everything and all the dots are connected:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4309502#post4309502

Daryk
2008-05-11, 12:38 PM
DB, my reading of the writing on the wall is that Dingo's mission has EVERYTHING to do with at least one other plot, and that's the meta-game reason I'm pushing to get us back down river post-haste. Whatever we get from the interrogation session should be part of the meeting too, if we can make the time lines work.

Sledge_bro
2008-05-11, 12:48 PM
This game has much more plot than I first thought. I am impressed ! :smallwink:

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-11, 02:03 PM
I am as well. That in itself is something I didn't see coming at first either.

Also, I'll hop into the meeting if we need to. Nice to know we might be going home soon.

Also another, more IC reason to head back. Do we have the food and supplies to last long enough to Khornis?

DavidByron
2008-05-11, 04:55 PM
If you want arcane psy-op help Matthew has charm person, hypnosis and zero problem messing with people's heads. If you want really nasty go with Sharn.

Daryk
2008-05-11, 05:57 PM
As much as I want to be in on that meeting as a player, as a character, Marko is NOT leaving the ship until it's status is settled. As far as he's concerned, he's its Master right now.

Daryk
2008-05-16, 04:21 PM
I think our crew may see Khorinis sooner rather than later. Marko will hold off on voicing that plan until Althea brings the news back.

Daryk
2008-05-17, 10:49 AM
And then again, maybe Marko will eventually go to the Guildhall, and proceed to relieve Team Cougar at sea... :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, thanks for the most excellent excuse to join the HQ2 thread Doc!

When (if) we get the petty cash from the guild to pay the crew, Marko would like to hand them back their daggers and say a few words, if possible.

Oh, and by "clean out 'his' new cabin", I mean Marko thoroughly searches the place (takes 20!)... :smallbiggrin:

souldoubt
2008-05-18, 11:06 PM
I hope I'm not being presumptuous in assuming that I don't need to roll a check in order to determine which horse is the better of the two, considering Ulysses has the "Saddleborn" trait and full ranks in Ride.

souldoubt
2008-05-20, 05:12 PM
Daryk, I think you may have misinterpreted Ulysses's actions and/or attitude. He was in no way undercutting Marko's authority that I can see -- unless Marko for some reason wanted to hand out the money personally, which I suppose I could understand, but I can't really see it being something to get angry over. I suppose he did tell them to behave themselves, which could be seen as him trying to give orders, but Ulysses would probably tell anyone to behave themselves, granted they didn't outrank him. :smallamused:


As they begin to embark, he paces the deck handing out silver pieces to the oarsmen, pitching his voice in a commanding tone.

As you can see, there is no mockery or jest in his tone -- he is quite serious.


"... Who knows, maybe your new 'Captain' will even give you your daggers back."

You may have misinterpreted the quote marks on the word captain. I put them there because Marko is acting captain; the de facto captain, and captain for all intents and purposes, but Ulysses, being who he is, is likely to make a distinction between the position and the rank until some higher authority (like Bruce) officially acknowledges Marko as the captain. Once again, no mockery or jest in his tone. He considers Marko to be as much in charge of the ship as Marko himself does.


Ulysses tries to remain stern, hiding a smile at the idea of the diminutive gnome being captain of the ship.

This is a purely private thought, and would in no way publicly impugn Marko's authority. For the record, Ulysses respects Marko but isn't used to dealing with gnomes; so the mental image of Marko captaining the ship would rather put Ulysses in mind of a child ordering about full-grown men, even though he knows that's not the case. I was kind of assuming that Ulysses's high Charisma would allow him to hide his mild amusement from the crew, and probably Marko as well. :smalltongue: I suppose this begs the question of why I put it in there in the first place if it has no really direct affect on the events of the game, but it's just the way I write -- very much inside the head of the narrating character (in this case, Ulysses). Call it "character flavor."

If there was some kind of misinterpretation here, I'll give you some time to change your response before I post Ulysses reaction.

Daryk
2008-05-20, 05:59 PM
souldoubt,
If that wasn't your intent, then, yes, I completely misinterpreted Ulysses. I just got some particularly bad news in real life, so it may take me a day or so to work up a revision.

-Daryk

Daryk
2008-05-23, 02:17 AM
Well, I finally got my head clear enough, and edited the post. Hopefully, that makes it a bit easier for Ulysses to respond, though I did add a post in response to Doc as well. Like Doc, I'm not trying to railroad, but simply keep up the pace.