PDA

View Full Version : The Grinder Group 1



Sxoa
2008-01-10, 02:02 PM
You find yourself standing in the basement, finding the secret entrance to the Grinder after a long journey has brought you here. You do not know what perils and horrors await you, but the promise of power is great. You all have your own reasons for being here, but you all stand ready to take the plunge.

Before you stands a large opalescent sphere, the portal entrance to grinder.

Where you are now matters far less than where you are going to be. You might be in the city of doors or somewhere else.

Some rules of posting:
I'd like you to put the first part of the post in character. Put necessary dice rolls and what not in a spoiler box. See Belial the Leveler's Dungeonkeeper fight threads for an example if you don't understand.

Post a link to your character sheet, and your statblock(s) in your first post.

You do most of your rolls; sometimes though I'll be rolling for you if you're not aware of something. I'd like you to do rolls on this forum if possible.

Uhhh, that's all I can think of right now, but if I change anything I'll put it in the post where I change it and here.


Good luck!

Lazlow
2008-01-14, 08:45 PM
The little monkey man hovers over toward his companions, legs crossed as if he were sitting on the ground, arms and fingers in a classic meditation pose, eyes wide, and grinning teeth bared.

"Kind Leveax, and one-of-a-kind Armanatar, perchance you would be so bold as to inquire of your respective dieties the nature of the evils which await us on the other side of this perfidious portal? As you do this, I shall take the intervening time for my own arcane arrangements." He stretches out as if laying in an invisible hammock and slowly munches on a banana. "I sense this next day or two will be busy, busy, busy..."


Duranjaya Kokila Anoop, a.k.a. Koko The ArchApe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36950)

Statblocks

Unbuffed

Koko The ArchApe
Vanaran Wizard 16/Archmage 2
True Neutral; Humanoid
-4 Init; low light vision
Speaks Common, Giant, Slyvan, Draconic, Goblin, Spirit Tongue
_____________________________
AC 19, 14 touch, 17 flat-footed
(10 +5 armor +2 Dex +2 Deflect)
110hp (18d4); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons
SR 18
Fort +20, Ref +26, Will +23; Insightful Reflexes
______________________________
Land speed 30', Fly speed 30' (perfect), Climb 20'; Vanarans can always take 10 on climb checks, climb checks use Str or Dex (highest), accelerated climb
Talon Scepter (+1 flaming lt mace) +6/+1
Ranged +11/+6
5'/5'
BAB +9/+4; Grapple
______________________________
10 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con, 34 Int, 10 Wis, 10 Cha

Familiar (Rat)
Arcane Reach (touch spells @ 30')
Spell-like Ability (Empowered Horrid Wilting, 3/day)

Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Spell Focus (Necromancy, Enchantment)
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Scribe Scroll
Extend Spell
Quicken Spell
Empower Spell
Arcane Thesis (Horrid Wilting)
Insightful Reflexes
Mobile Spellcasting
Persistent Spell

Traits: Focused, Nightsighted
Flaws: Inattentive, Unreactive
Skill Trick: Swift concentration
_______________________________
Equipment:

Fez of Flames
Raptor's Spectacles of Intellect
Phoenix Capelet of Deflection
Talon Scepter
Enhanced Doublet of the Archmagi
Healing Belt of Health
Bracers of Dextrous Aerial Combat
Medallion of Aerial Defense
Ring of Wizardry II
Lesser Chaining Rod
Heward's Handy Haversack
- Blessed Bandage x 5
- Boccob's Blessed Book x 2
- Tomebound Eye of Boccob (on high-level BBB)
- Wands (Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace, Slow, Haste, Bull's Strength)
- Scrolls (Familiar Pocket, Passwall, Prot Evil/Chaos x 2 ea., Prot Good/Law, Aerial Alacrity, Elation, Reflective Disguise, Augment Familiar
- Mundane equipment (bedroll, winter blanket, bucket, waterskin, chalk x 10, flask o' hooch, flint & steel, antitoxin, mirror, sack x 5, iron pot, soap)
Spell Component Pouch


Fully Buffed

Koko The ArchApe
Vanaran Wizard 16/Archmage 2
True Neutral; Humanoid
-4 Init; low light vision, darkvision 180', blindsense 90'
Speaks Common, Giant, Slyvan, Draconic, Goblin, Spirit Tongue
_____________________________
AC 32, 14 touch, 27 flat-footed
(10 +9 armor +4 shield +2 Dex +6 nat armor +2 Deflect)
128hp (18d4); DR 10/magic vs. ranged weapons
SR 18
Fort +21, Ref +28, Will +28; Insightful Reflexes
______________________________
Land speed 30', Fly speed 30' (perfect), Climb 20'; Vanarans can always take 10 on climb checks, climb checks use Str or Dex (highest), accelerated climb
+4 Flaming Club, undead bane +13/+8 (+15/+10 vs. undead)
Touch +9/+4
Ray +11/+6
Ranged +11/+6
5'/5'
BAB +9/+4; Grapple
______________________________
10 Str, 14 Dex, 20 Con, 38 Int, 14 Wis, 10 Cha

Familiar (Rat)
Arcane Reach (touch spells @ 30')
Spell-like Ability (Empowered Horrid Wilting, 3/day)

Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Spell Focus (Necromancy, Enchantment)
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Scribe Scroll
Extend Spell
Quicken Spell
Empower Spell
Arcane Thesis (Horrid Wilting)
Insightful Reflexes
Mobile Spellcasting
Persistent Spell

Traits: Focused, Nightsighted
Flaws: Inattentive, Unreactive
Skill Trick: Swift concentration

Active buff spells:
Extended Water Breathing
Energy Immunity (cold, fire, electricity)
Extended Endure Elements
Healthful Rest
Portal Beacon
Extended Ectoplasmic Armor (+9 AC vs. incorporeal touch attacks)
Extended Superior Resistance
Extended Psychic Poison
Extended Dragonsight
Extended Transformation of the Deeps
Greater Magic Weapon (+4)
Magic Vestment (+4)
(Mass) Snowshoes
Spawn Screen
Extended Familiar Pocket
Extended Mindblank
Extended Persistent Protection from Evil
Extended Persistent Protection from Chaos
Extended Persistent Weapon Shift
Extended Persistent Shield
Persistent Detect Magic
Persistent Protection from Good
Persistent Protection from Law
Persistent Bear's Endurance
Persistent Fox's Cunning
Persistent Owl's Wisdom
Persistent Mechanus Mind
Persistent Sadism
Persistent Shadow Phase
Persistent Spiderskin

Tar Palantir
2008-01-14, 09:38 PM
Armanatar removes his magical mask, storing it in his bag. Its magic gone, he is revealed to be an armored, skeletal warrior with burning red eyes. He speaks, in a voice that chills to the bone, "Hextor shall guide us on the path to victory, for our victory shall see the end of Heironius." This was the reason that Armanatar had come on this quest, perhaps the very reason Hextor had returned him to unlife to serve him. With the power of the raw fabric of the universe, Hextor's hated half brother would be no more, and Armanatar would finally be revenged for the death of his beloved Elara. Heironius's "justice" would be silenced forever.

In the meantime, Armanatar prayed to Hextor, restoring his unholy magics. With the first of his divinations thus gained, he asked the question, "Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unguarded from fire and heat?"

After receiving an answer, again he asked, "Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unprotected from the cold?"

Once more he inquired, "Would there be weal or woe if entered with spells and steel crafted to slay the most ancient of wyrms?"

Again he asked, "Would there be weal or woe if we entered with spells of banishment and dismissal?"

A fifth question he asked, "Would there be weal or woe if we should enter with weapons crafted to be the bane of the undead?"

He continued, "Would there be weal or woe if we should protect ourselves from mental control or manipulation?"

He then paused in his inquiries, to ask the others, "What more should we ask of the almight tyrant? For I still have many spells left for the day."


I prepared all of my spells for this day of 2nd level or higher as Auguries. I'm not changing my current spell list because that's what I'm actually entering the dungeon with, as of now.

As for the questions, here's the summary:

Good or bad, going in with no fire/heat protection?
Good or bad, going in with no cold protection?
Good or bad, going in with anti-dragon spells/gear?
Good or bad, going in with Banishment and Dismissal?
Good or bad, going in with anti-undead stuff?
Good or bad, going in with protection from mind affecting stuff?

If the answer is "Neither," I ask Leveax to attempt to confirm with his own Augury, using the same wording, to see if it was "Neither" or "I don't feel like telling you because I'm a jerk". :smalltongue:

Sxoa
2008-01-14, 10:36 PM
"Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unguarded from fire and heat?"
WEAL

"Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unprotected from the cold?"
NOTHING

Once more he inquired, "Would there be weal or woe if entered with spells and steel crafted to slay the most ancient of wyrms?"
NOTHING

Again he asked, "Would there be weal or woe if we entered with spells of banishment and dismissal?"
NOTHING

A fifth question he asked, "Would there be weal or woe if we should enter with weapons crafted to be the bane of the undead?"
WEAL

He continued, "Would there be weal or woe if we should protect ourselves from mental control or manipulation?"
WEAL
As a point of interest, augury doesn't actually ask your deity the questions like a contact other plane spell or the like. The deity is providing you with the magic which lets you see forward...

Tar Palantir
2008-01-14, 10:38 PM
Meh, it's for flavor. As for the wyrm thing, I meant anti-dragon stuff. Greater Magic Weapon always helps.

Hank Pym
2008-01-15, 12:17 PM
Levaex, bottom lip jutting in idle curiousity, watches the walking, talking dead do its thing.

"Well, how about that?" he says. He reaches out and taps on any visible bit of Armantar's skeleton as if testing its solidity and gives an amused, "hm! Nice. Perhaps ask, also, about the wisdom of being prepared for negative energies. Also my experience has shown that oft it is worthwhile to be prepared for enemies which inflict instant death or destruction. And I have seen many adventurers fall to curses, blindness or poison. Such things, of course, cannot stop one so great as yourself, but we your companions are subject to all such hazards."

He then holds an index finger up to indicate, "just a moment." He comences holding his awesome Rod of Absorbtion in one hand while throwing various spells at it with the other.

He then goes into a deep meditation and prayer to prepare different spells (in accordance with what the monkey proposes or is about to propose), but including Auguries as necessary.

Once he's done that, he clears his throat. Pauses to make peace with Armantar, "No offense to you or your god, but Boccob might be able to delve deeper into our futures."

He then casts Augary as appropriate and asks the following questions:

"Oh, uncaring one, take notice upon this your loyal follower for a moment, if you would, and tell me the following of our present endevour..."

"Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unprotected from the cold?"

"Would there be weal or woe if entered with spells and steel crafted to slay the most ancient of wyrms?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with spells of banishment and dismissal?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with protections from negative energy?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with protections from death magic ?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to remove curses?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to remove blindness or other sensory loss?"

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to neutralize poison?"


Oops, in player-speak, I'm reasking the questions Armantar asked that came back with neither weal or woe, as well as throwing in whether or not it would help to have Negative Energy Protection, Death Ward, Cure Blindness/Deafness, Remove Curse, and Neutralize Poison."

Oh, and before regaining spells, Levaex will throw . . . um . . . we'll say 30 levels of spells into his Rod of Absorbtion just to get that out of the way.

Also, because this is my first post, here's the link to my character sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.comsheets/view.php?id=37697

Lazlow
2008-01-15, 01:25 PM
As the two Clerics implore their deities for answers, Koko hovers in a quiet corner for a while, meditating and perusing his spellbooks. After an appropriate period of time, he floats over toward the portal and stops.

Reaching into a pouch, he pulls out a small bit of fine, black fur. Intoning a sing-song string of arcane speech (which invariably sounds something like "Ooo ooo aaa ooo EEE ooo EEE AAAA AAAAA!!!" to the non-monkeys), he sprinkles the fur over his other outstretched hand, where it does not fall but seems to coalesce into a small orb floating between the fingers of his hands.

"And now my fine friends let us have a little look-see, perchance."

With a gesture he sends the Arcane Eye forward, into the portal.


Prepping and then casting Arcane Eye and sending it through to see what he can see!

Sxoa
2008-01-15, 06:09 PM
"Would there be weal or woe if we should enter unprotected from the cold?"
WOE

"Would there be weal or woe if entered with spells and steel crafted to slay the most ancient of wyrms?"
NOTHING

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with spells of banishment and dismissal?"
NOTHING

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with protections from negative energy?"
WEAL

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with protections from death magic ?"
WEAL

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to remove curses?"
WEAL

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to remove blindness or other sensory loss?"
NOTHING

"Would there be weal or woe if we entered with the capacity to neutralize poison?"
WEAL

Koko's arcane eye passes into and through the opalescent sphere as if it wasn't even there. It seems like it is unable to make use of the portal.

javcs
2008-01-15, 08:01 PM
Gor'thok
So we wait. Gor'thok grunts, watching his compatriots cast their spells. Seeing the arcane eye pass through, That's interesting. Ask about what the air is like. I don't like breathing poison without being prepared for it.
He sets down his pack, and settles down next to it, leaning against a wall.


Gor'thok's sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=5789&sid=a772ba6c3188426ab44c0097bc928bde)

Statblock, not buffed, not raging

Gor'thok
Minotaur Barbarian 2 Warhulk 8
Chaotic Evil; Monstrous Humanoid
+7 Initiative; Scent, Darkvision 60ft, Spot +6, Listen +6
Languages
Common, Giant
_____________________________
AC 28, touch 18, flat-footed -; Natural Cunning, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)
(+5 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, +3 Deflection, +1 Insight, +2 Sacred)
HP 258 (6d8 + 10d12 HD);
Immune Maze, becoming lost, fear effects, movement impediment and being grappled (Ring), non-magical weapon attacks (cloak, magical get a DC 15 reflex save for half damage)
Fort +26, Ref +14, Will +13
_____________________________
Speed 40ft;
Melee Greataxe +30 3d6+31 19-20/x3, Gore +30 1d8+20 20/x2, Spiked Gauntlet +30 d8+21 20/x2
Full Attack Greataxe +30/+30/+25 3d6+31 19-20/x3, and Gore +25 1d8+20 20/x2
Ranged Mighty Thrown Rock +30 2d8+20 20/x2
10ft Space/10ft Reach
Base Atk +8/+3; Grapple +32/+27;
Atk Options: Power Attack, Great Cleave, Mighty Swing, Massive Sweeping Boulder
Special Actions: Powerful Charge (+30 4d6+30), Awesome Blow
_____________________________
Abilities: Str 51, Dex 16, Con 30, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day, Natural Cunning, Scent, No Time to Think, Fearless
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Initiative
Skills: Climb +30, Intimidate +13, Jump +34, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +30
_____________________________
Equipment: +1 ghost touch adamantine greataxe of speed, +1 ghost touch mithral chain shirt, +1 adamantine spiked gauntlet, +1 parrying adamantine spiked gauntlet, skin of the hero, explorer's outfit, Ring of Freedom of Movement, Ring of Feather Falling, Starmantle Cloak, Retributive Amulet, Belt of Giant Strength +4 and Constitution +2, backpack, 2 belt pouches, pickaxe, shovel, sledgehammer, whetstone

While not in an AMF, Gor'thok takes no damage from non-magical weapon attacks, magical weapon attacks are subject to a Reflex DC 15 save for half, all melee attacks that deal damage to Gor'thok deal half damage to the attacker (rounding up) and half damage to Gor'thok ((rounding down). Also while not in an AMF, Gor'thok auto-succeeds on checks to escape grapples or resist being grapples, never has movement impeded by the environment, and moves and acts normally underwater.
If it's in blue, it's a change from normal stats.
Statblock, not buffed, raging

AC 26, touch 16, flat-footed -; Natural Cunning, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)
(+5 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, +3 Deflection, +1 Insight, +2 Sacred, -2 raging)
HP 290 (6d8 + 10d12 HD);
Immune Maze, becoming lost, fear effects, movement impediment and being grappled (Ring), non-magical weapon attacks (cloak, magical get a DC 15 reflex save for half damage)
Fort +28, Ref +14, Will +15
_____________________________
Speed 40ft;
Melee Greataxe +32 3d6+34 19-20/x3, Gore +32 1d8+22 20/x2, Spiked Gauntlet +32 1d8+23 20/x2
Full Attack Greataxe +32/+32/+27 3d6+34 19-20/x3, and Gore +27 1d8+22 20/x2
Ranged Mighty Thrown Rock +32 2d8+23 20/x2
10ft Space/10ft Reach
Base Atk +8/+3; Grapple +34/+29;
Atk Options: Power Attack, Great Cleave, Mighty Swing, Massive Sweeping Boulder
Special Actions: Powerful Charge (+32 4d6+33), Awesome Blow
_____________________________
Abilities: Str 55, Dex 16, Con 34, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day, Natural Cunning, Scent, No Time to Think, Fearless
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Initiative
Skills: Climb +32, Intimidate +13, Jump +36, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +32

Waiting on buff list for buffed stats.
Statblock, buffed, nor raging

Chaotic Evil; Monstrous Humanoid
+7 Initiative; Scent, Darkvision 180ft, low-light vision, blindsense 90ft, 1/2 distance penalties for spot checks, Spot +6, Listen +6
Languages
Common, Giant
_____________________________
AC 31, touch 18 (27 against incorporeal touch), flat-footed -; Natural Cunning, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)
(+8 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, +3 Deflection, +1 Insight, +2 Sacred)
HP 258 (6d8 + 10d12 HD);
Immune Maze, becoming lost, fear effects, movement impediment and being grappled (Ring), non-magical weapon attacks (cloak, magical get a DC 15 reflex save for half damage)[color=blue], fire, cold, electricity, being raised as undead, damage from temperature or pressure of extreme depths
Fort +29, Ref +17, Will +16 (2d8 Wisdom damage to anyone attempting a mind-affecting spell or SLA, another 2d8 Wisdom damage 1 minute later)
_____________________________
Speed 40ft (+10ft on snow or ice);
Melee Greataxe +33 3d6+34 19-20/x3 (undead bane +2 enhancement, +2d6 against undead), Gore +30 1d8+20 20/x2, Spiked Gauntlet +30 d8+21 20/x2
Full Attack Greataxe +33/+33/+28 3d6+34 19-20/x3 (undead bane additional +2 enhancement, +2d6 extra damage against undead), and Gore +25 1d8+20 20/x2
Ranged Mighty Thrown Rock +30 2d8+20 20/x2
10ft Space/10ft Reach
Base Atk +8/+3; Grapple +32/+27;
Atk Options: Power Attack, Great Cleave, Mighty Swing, Massive Sweeping Boulder
Special Actions: Powerful Charge (+30 4d6+30), Awesome Blow
_____________________________
Abilities: Str 51, Dex 16, Con 30, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day, Natural Cunning, Scent, No Time to Think, Fearless, Water Breathing
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Initiative
Skills: Climb +30, Intimidate +13, Jump +34, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +30


Statblock, buffed, raging


Stat-block, anti-magic field, not raging

AC 22, touch 12, flat-footed -; Natural Cunning, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)
(+5 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, __)
HP 242 (6d8 + 10d12 HD);
Immune Maze, becoming lost, fear effects, __
Fort +22, Ref +11, Will +10
_____________________________
Speed 40ft;
Melee Greataxe +26 3d6+27 20/x3, Gore +25 1d8+17 20/x2, Spiked Gauntlet +26 1d8+17 20/x2
Full Attack Greataxe +26/+21 3d6+27 20/x3, and Gore +20 1d8+18 20/x2
Ranged Mighty Thrown Rock +25 2d8+17 20/x2
10ft Space/10ft Reach
Base Atk +8/+3; Grapple +30/+25;
Atk Options: Power Attack, Great Cleave, Mighty Swing, Massive Sweeping Boulder
Special Actions: Powerful Charge (+25 4d6+27), Awesome Blow
_____________________________
Abilities: Str 47, Dex 16, Con 28, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day, Natural Cunning, Scent, No Time to Think, Fearless
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Initiative
Skills: Climb +28, Intimidate +13, Jump +32, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +28
_____________________________


Statblock, anti-magic field, raging

AC [color=blue]20, touch 10, flat-footed -; Natural Cunning, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)
(+5 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Natural, -2, raging __)
HP 274 (6d8 + 10d12 HD);
Immune Maze, becoming lost, fear effects, __
Fort +24, Ref +11, Will +12
_____________________________
Speed 40ft;
Melee Greataxe +28 3d6+30 19-20/x3, Gore +27 1d8+20 20/x2, Spiked Gauntlet +28 1d8+20 20/x2
Full Attack Greataxe +28/+23 3d6+30 20/x3, and Gore +22 1d8+20 20/x2
Ranged Mighty Thrown Rock +27 2d8+20 20/x2
10ft Space/10ft Reach
Base Atk +8/+3; Grapple +32/+27;
Atk Options: Power Attack, Great Cleave, Mighty Swing, Massive Sweeping Boulder
Special Actions: Powerful Charge (+27 4d6+30), Awesome Blow
_____________________________
Abilities: Str 51, Dex 16, Con 32, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day, Natural Cunning, Scent, No Time to Think, Fearless
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Improved Initiative
Skills: Climb +30, Intimidate +13, Jump +34, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +30

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-01-15, 09:12 PM
James walks between the other members of the group, observing their casting, their questions, their preparations, and their abilities.

"Bloody portal gives me the chills."

He speaks aloud as he sits down and begins to look over his weaponry, getting up occasionaly to practice with it.

Before going to sleep, he raises his head and speaks once more.

"I would like to know what there is to breathe as well. Ask whether it would be good or bad to go in breathing water, protected against poison, etcetera. Oh, and lets be sure to kill anything that moves and be very suspicious of anything that doesn't. That would be my idea of making sure we attain the "weal" predicted by your gods."

Sxoa
2008-01-16, 12:23 AM
would [it] be good or bad to go in breathing water?
WEAL

protected against poison?
WEAL
Since you have as much time you want to prepare, unless all casters specifically say that they're refusing to ask that question basically anything you shout I'll respond to (within reason, I'm not wasting my time)

Why does Gor'thok take no damage from non-magic weapons in AMF?

Grymmheart
2008-01-16, 07:36 AM
Skye sits back and listens to the barrage of queries to his companions deities. Although he feels he should be listening, he just can't seem to focus on all the information gleamed. He is here for one thing only, and that is to help bypass any mundane and magickal barriers that may offer resistance to their endeavor. He is not here to raise a weapon in defense or propel a spell at a foe. When presented with such situations in the past, he has always used the plan of "better run now to be alive to fight another day." Ironically that "fight another day" would never occur for Skye because he would just run if a new fight presented itself. Some may think of him as a coward because of his actions, but watching him risk life and limb challenging traps and such, one would recognize his ability to conquer fear.

Raising from the periphery, he approaches the portal and begins to study it.

uses wardsense to detect any magical traps/wards within 60' as if casted detect magic [roll0] reduced by 2 to reflect the PrC DC change for detect magic on wards/traps. Then he spends time for a more mundane search [roll1].


should have stat box complete soon


Skye Obsidian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35183)
M ng Dwarf Rogue/SilverKey/Exemplar, Level 3/10/5,
Init +7, SensesDarkvision 60'(180'), blindsense 90'free spot/listen 1 per round, Listen +19, Spot +17 (+26 with mask)
LanguagesCommon, dwarf, terran, orc, giant, wand comprehend lang
___________________________________________
AC 22 (25)(Armor+6(+9),Dex +7,Flaw -1), Touch 16 (25 vs incorporeal), Flat-footed 16(19), (Dodge feat) (+4 dodge giants)
HP 155/155 (HD18)
Resist dwarf +2 save spell/SLA, +2 poison save, slippery mind
SR25Immune fire, acid, electricity
DR 10/magic vs ranged weapons
Fort +1617, Ref +2324, Will +1718
____________________________________________
Speed 30 40' snow/ice
Base Attack Bonus 12
Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20(+23)(1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) (+2att/+2d6dmg undead) or
+1 dagger +12 (+20 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Full Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20/+15/+10(+23/+18/+13) (1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) or
+1 dagger +12/+7/+2(+20/+15/+10 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Space/Reach5'/5'
____________________________________________
Abilities Str 12, Dex 24, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Condition waterbreathing, psychic poison,
FeatsEducation, Skill focus (disable), least dragonmark (warding), Item familiar, quick reconnoiter, tactile trapsmith, martial study, open minded, darkstalker
SuCrafty hands- move act to open/disable within 60', concentration required, Cunning body- 1/d each, waterbreath/featherfall/remove paralyisis (CL 10) if subjected to those stressors
Skills Balance +14, Concentration +11, Craft (trap) +8, Disable traps +40, Disable device +34, Hide +40, Jump +19, Move silently +22, Open lock +27, Search +26 (+35 with mask), Search traps/wards/glyphs +40 (+45 with mask), Spellcraft +30, Spellcraft traps/wards +36, Tumble +14, UMD +25
____________________________________________
EquipmentNeck- Rary's telepathic bond, 1 known person within 1mile, for 1 min, 3/d

Feet- dex mod for jump, stand from prone as swift and no AOO/pass without a trace, teleport 3/d (CL 9)

Head- +3 chr skill checks, +2 comp spot, 3 charges/day, 1 charge grants darkvision 1hr to 60', 2 charges see invis for 10 min, 3 charges for trueseeing for 1 min

Ring(left)- spellcraft check DC 15+spell lvl to determine all spellcasting within 60', 1/day can immediate activate ring to dispel identified spell (As dispel magic) or redirect to legal target within 60', if illegal target spell wasted.

Ring of regeneration

Face- +9 insight bonus search/spot

Hands- shadow hand 1-3 maneuver- cloak of deception- swift act for 1rd greater invis

Orb of renewal- 3 charge/day
1 charge- Heal 4 pts Int/Wis/or Chr, or 2 to all 3
2 charges- 6 pts to 1, or 3pts to all 3
3 charges- 8 pts to 1, or 4pts to all 3

Rod of bodily restoration- as above but str/dex/con

Wands, eternal-Spiderclimb, protection from evil (x2), Silence, Reduce person, Comprehend languages, detect secret doors (x2)

Bag of holding 2

Item familiar- Rod of escape- Jump and knock 2/day each (CL9), 5' sphere to repel nonmagical water for 10 minutes, Int 16/Wis 12/ Chr 12, blindsense 30', see, hear, darkvision 60', speak/read common, dwarf, elf, giant, telepathy 120' with owner, invested skill points per sheet

javcs
2008-01-16, 09:06 AM
Gor'thok takes no damage from non-magical weapon attacks outside of an AMF, or, rather, when magic works normally, Gor'thok takes no damage from 'non-magical weapon attacks' thanks to his Starmantle Cloak. 'Magical weapon attacks' are subject to a Reflex save at DC 15 for half damage, otherwise, they act normally.

The Retributive Amulet means all melee attacks that would deal damage to him deal half-damage to him (rounding down) and the other half damage to the attacker (rounding up).

The combination of the two means that the only things that will generally deal normal damage to Gor'thok are magical ranged weapon attacks, and attack spells.

The Starmantle Cloak sorta reduces the usefulness of the Retributive Amulet, but, I expect that most foes will probably either have magical weapons, or their DR will be bypassed by magic - that means they can bypass DR as though with magic, which I assume means that the Starmantle Cloak will also be bypassed, that would be a DM call, though as to what constitutes a 'magical weapon attack' or a 'non-magical weapon attack'.

I probably mis-worded the explanation.

Hank Pym
2008-01-16, 10:13 AM
Once the rogue has had a chance to study the portal as much as he wishes, Levaex stands with a shrug and says,"Worth a shot."

He then casts a spell, summoning forth a devil from the pit. The Hellcat is nearly invisible in the lighting near the portal, but vaguely looks like an enormous tiger or lion.

"There you are!" Levaex announces to the beast, in a tone that implies the unspoken sentence that could follow (but doesn't) is either "Where did you wander off to?" or "You're late!"

"I've a job for you. Stick your head in that magical portal there and look around, then pull your head back out and tell us what you see. Once you've done this, your work here is done."

If the devil doesn't hop-to and do this immediately, Levaex throws in "I appreciate your assistance and enthusiasm. Really."

Levaex casts Summon Monster VIII to pull up a Hellcat. Hopefully, the devil will provide some information. If not, then perhaps we can cook its remains for a nice dinner :smallsmile: (eat fast, it's only around for 18 rounds!).

Lazlow
2008-01-16, 10:36 AM
Koko makes a curiously inquisitive little half-squeal as he watches his Arcane Eye pass uselessly through the sphere.

"Interesting..." he mumbles, and dismisses the eye.

Sxoa
2008-01-16, 11:16 AM
Skye's expert eyes and hands check the area around the portal for traps mundane and arcane, but turn up nothing untowards.

The devil moves into the portal, nothing happening as it sticks only its head in. As it moves the rest of its body into the sphere the colors swirl and flash slightly brighter (not so much as to hurt your eyes, but noticeably so) and the hellcat is gone.

You control summoned creatures entirely, they're not DM driven NPCs.

You can presume this portal isn't analogue like a gate, you're either in it or you're not. While you technically control your Hellcat on the other side as well, there is no way for it to get any information back to you, so at this point its acting on its own.

Hank Pym
2008-01-16, 11:45 AM
Levaex raises an eyebrow as the Hellcat slips through. He frowns, leans a little closer to the portal and yells, "Come on back if you can! If you can't, kill whatever's in there!"

He then stands back a couple steps to give it room in case it comes back through.

When it doesn't come back, he shrugs and says, "I'm out of ideas. If no one else has anything, I suggest we begin the actual preperation spells, then rest, then wake and cast any final spells and then step on through."

If the Hellcat DOES come back, Levaex will be startled and heal it, while asking what it saw and experienced.

Sxoa
2008-01-16, 11:49 AM
The sphere ejects nothing but its normal colorful light

Grymmheart
2008-01-16, 12:17 PM
Skye watches as the hellcat disappears. 'Well I guess noting special is needed to work this gate,' he thinks to himself. Pulling out his bedroll, he prepares for a nice rest as the spellcasters get ready for the trip through the portal.

Lazlow
2008-01-16, 12:33 PM
"Pity... I was feeling a bit peckish myself," Koko mumbles to no one in particular.

He then claps his hands and feet and rubs them together vigorously, saying, "Welp! Unless anyone else wants to try something, we might as well get started, Leveax. Come. We have much to do."

He tips his fez with his tail and invites the holy man to a quiet corner of the antechamber. The monkey floats along behind and begins meditating...

* * * * * *

...And thirty-five hours later the entire party is positively inundated with magical protections both arcane and divine.


Okay! I outlined our masterbuffing plan in the OOC thread, so no need to do it again here. Note that I made some slight alterations, though, swapping out some of the less useful spells (as discussed) for more handy ones. Each party member should have the following buffs with the indicated durations:

- Extended Water Breathing* (51 hours)
- Energy Immunity, 3 types (16 hours)
- Undead Bane Weapon** (16 hours)
- Endure Elements (16 hours)
- Healthful Rest (16 hours)
- Portal Beacon (16 hours)
- Extended Ectoplasmic Armor (+9 vs. incorporeal attacks; 15 hours)
- Extended Protection from Arrows (Skye, James, and Leveax only; 15 hours)
- Extended Superior Resistance (+6 to saves; 13 hours)
- Extended Psychic Poison*** (15 hours)
- Extended Dragonsight**** (15 hours)
- Extended Transformation of the Deeps***** (15 hours)
- Greater Magic Weapon (10 hours)
- Magic Vestment (10 hours)
- (Mass) Snowshoes****** (10 hours)
- Spawn Screen******* (10 hours)

In addition to the buffs above, the following characters have the indicated buffs:

Leveax
- Extended Mindblank (13 hours)
- Divine Insight (+15 to one skill check; 11 hours)

Armanatar
- Extended Disguise Undead (19 hours)

Konstantin (Koko's rat familiar)
- Extended Enhance Familiar (15 hours)
- Extended Fortify Familiar (15 hours)

Koko
- Extended Familiar Pocket (15 hours)
- Extended Mindblank (13 hours)
- Extended Persistent Protection from Evil (13 hours)
- Extended Persistent Protection from Chaos (13 hours)
- Extended Persistent Weapon Shift (13 hours)
- Extended Persistent Shield (13 hours)
- Persistent Detect Magic (7 hours)
- Persistent Protection from Good (7 hours)
- Persistent Protection from Law (7 hours)
- Persistent Bear's Endurance (7 hours)
- Persistent Fox's Cunning (7 hours)
- Persistent Owl's Wisdom (7 hours)
- Persistent Mechanus Mind (7 hours)
- Persistent Sadism (7 hours)
- Persistent Shadow Phase (7 hours)
- Persistent Spiderskin (7 hours)


* I had enough slots to take one Extended Water Breathing per PC who needed it, allowing the full 72 hours per character.
** Gives one weapon the Undead Bane enhancement, can also be used on ammo.
*** Does 2d8 Wis damage to anyone trying to affect you with a mind-affecting spell or ability, plus another 2d8 Wis damage 1 minute later.
**** Grants Low-Light vision, Darkvision 180', Blindsense 90', 1/2 penalties for distance on Spot checks (does not stack with any existing visions).
***** Grants water breathing (and 60' Darkvision), and target is immune to damage from both the temperature and pressure of extreme depths of water.
****** Grants +10' movement over snow and ice, no need for Balance checks or Reflex saves to avoid slipping and falling.
******* Prevents (living) PC's from being raised as undead.

Okay. NOW we can cast our short-term buffs and head on in.

Tar Palantir
2008-01-16, 07:58 PM
Armanatar assists in the initial preparations, then prays for a more versatile spell selection. This being done, he mutters a dark prayer to Hextor, imbuing his unholy body with protection from binding and entrapment. He then says, "I have spells to protect from the powers of chaos and good, if any are in need of them. I have little need for them myself."


Cast Freedom of Movement on myself. Stat block is below. Changes from buffs are in blue, spells and equipment are on the sheet.

Armanatar the Soulless (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35470)
Male Lawful Evil Human Deathknight Fighter 2/Cleric 11, Level 13,
Init +7, HP 97/97, DR 15/magic, Speed 20

AC 45 (+13 Armor, +4 Shield, +3 Dex, +10 Natural, +5 Deflect), Touch 18, Flat-footed 42,
Fort +15 +16, Ref +11 +12, Will +17 +18,
Base Attack Bonus +10/+5
+4 Spellblade Wounding Profane Burst Flail +21/+16 (1d8+10+1d6, X2) (+1d10 on crit, X2 vs good outsiders, 1 Con damage. Immune disintegrate, Undead Bane)
Touch Attack +14 (1d8+2 (10), X2) (Maximized by Gauntlets of the Blood Lord, 1 Con damage, DC 21 Will half )
+5 Mithral Fullplate of Energy Drain (Enervation on touch, as the spell)
+2 Mithral Heavy Shield
Abilities Str 22, Dex 16, Con -, Int 17, Wis 20, Cha 21
Special Qualities,Special Attacks, Misc. Immune to Electricity, Cold, Fire, Sonic, Acid, and Polymorph; Spell Resistance 23; Turn Immunity; Fear Aura DC 23 Will negates; Abyssal Blast 13d6, DC 21 Reflex for half; Rebuke Undead 8/day; Divine Power 3/day as a spell-like ability; Darkvision 180ft; Blindsense 90ft; Freedom of Movement

javcs
2008-01-16, 09:29 PM
Gor'thok

Gor'thok hefted his axe and looked at his companions. We ready to crash this party?

Hank Pym
2008-01-21, 05:24 PM
Levaex casts spells as indicated by KoKo. He then prays for a new batch of splls (to be ready at the apointed time, that is, at the 36th hour in KoKo's post), including preparing his shoter-term buffs and is ready to go.

Once all that's done, he takes out his flask of Elven hooch and toasts the party: "Here's to us all coming out! Alive OR dead! We leave no bodies behind exept those of our fallen foes!" He takes a slug off the flask and hands it to Sir TIM!!

Once everyone's drank, he puts the flask away and looks at the scout. When he's got Skye's eye contact, he jabs at the portal with his gaze. "Well? Or do we all go through at once?"


Watch for an updated spell list on my character sheet, and a stat block reflecting all the buffs tomorrow morningish. I'm ready to go as soon as that's up!

javcs
2008-01-21, 05:36 PM
I just thought of this, but, Gor'thok's not smart enough to do so, maybe we should rope ourselves together, so nobody gets lost if conditions on the other side are bad?
Buffed stat-blocks should be up shortly.

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-01-22, 09:16 AM
Full Sheet:
James Hijikai (Hi-jih-ky)
Human 18th level fighter, 21 years old, 6í 1Ē
CG
Initiative +6; Senses (normal, blindsight out to 5 feet in Combat Focus)
Common
_____________________________
AC 34, 13 touch, flat-footed 28; dodge, weapon supremacy, shield specialization
(+0 size, +3 Dex +2 deflection, +6 shield, +9 armor, +1 shield specialization, +1 dodge, +1 weapon supremacy +1 natural armor)
Miss Chance (20%, 70% when Blink activated)
hp 180 (18d10+90)
Fort +18, Ref +14, Will +11
______________________________
Speed (20 feet land, 80 running)
Melee (+27, +27/+27/+22/+17/+18))
Ranged (+23, +23/+17/+13/+7)
5 feet/5 feet
Base Atk +18/+13/+8/+3 ; Grapple +26
Atk Options (Bas. Sword [+26/+26/+21/+16/+17 17-20 x2 damage+1 CON damage 1d10+11+1d6]
Longbow, Composite [+20/+15/+10/+5 x3 1d8+7+1d6]
______________________________
Abilities (Str: 26 Dex: 16 Con: 20 Int: 12 Wiz: 14 Cha: 12 )
Special Qualities:
DR 2/-
DR 3/Cold Iron
When in combat focus, (maintained for 13 rounds per encounter) gains fast healing 4, knows HP of adjacent creatures, blindsight out to 5 feet.
SR 19

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bas. Sword)
Weapon Focus (Bas. Sword)
Weapon Specialization (Bas. Sword)
Greater Weapon Focus (Bas. Sword)
Greater Weapon Specialization (Bas. Sword)
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Critical
Improved Initiative
Combat Reflexes
Melee Weapon Mastery (Slashing)
Armor Specialization (Medium)
Shield Specialization (Heavy)
Weapon Supremacy (Bas. Sword)
Combat Focus
Combat Awareness
Combat Vigor
Dodge

Skills: 85
Climb 5
Craft (Weaponsmithing) 10
Handle Animal 5
Intimidate 20
Jump 15
Ride 5
Swim 15

_______________________________
Equipment: (590 gp)
+2 Icy Burst Composite Longbow +4 (60 arrows)
+1 Shocking Burst Thundering Wounding Speed Bastard Sword (Crystal of Return, Least: Quick Draw)
+1 daggar
Periapt of Health +4/Wisdom +4
Mithral Full Plate of SR 19
Lionís Shield
Belt of Healing Giantís Strength +6 (3 charges/day, 2d8 1 charge, 3d8 2 charge, 4d8 3 charge)
Bracers of Armor +4/Dexterity +2
Cloak of Displacement, Minor (20%) +Charisma +2/Resistance +4
Ring of Protection +2
Boots of Speed
Goggles of the Ebon Hunter (+1 atk/dmg range weapons, 30í darkvision)
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (+1d6 vs incorporeal, ignore miss chance)
Shirt of DR 3/Cold Iron +1 natural armor


Description/Background:

A lowly city guard, James was framed for murder as a young lad (age 17) when the captain saw the up-and-coming walking castle as a threat. Forced to flee, James subsequently stumbled upon a small fortune as a highway robber.

After one of his fellows tortured a child for no particular reason, James had a sudden change of heart, turning on his fellow bandits, destroying the entire camp. He re-entered his old city a scarred, unrecognizable man and sold the gear they had all carried, using the money to outfit himself with the best equipment available. He then set out to better his skills so he might return one last time to rid his old city of injustice and corruption.

Fair skinned face covered in scars of varying browns and reds, Jamesí bulging muscles, combined with his flawless mithral full plate and imposing height, quell the weak-willed on sight. His muscles and blade do the same to the strong shortly thereafter.


Initiative +6; Senses (normal, blindsight out to 5 feet in Combat Focus)
Common
_____________________________
AC 34, 13 touch, flat-footed 28; dodge, weapon supremacy, shield specialization
(+0 size, +3 Dex +2 deflection, +6 shield, +9 armor, +1 shield specialization, +1 dodge, +1 weapon supremacy +1 natural armor)
Miss Chance (20%, 70% when Blink activated)
hp 180 (18d10+90)
Fort +18, Ref +14, Will +11
______________________________
Speed (20 feet land, 80 running)
Melee (+27, +27/+27/+22/+17/+18))
Ranged (+23, +23/+17/+13/+7)
5 feet/5 feet
Base Atk +18/+13/+8/+3 ; Grapple +26
Atk Options (Bas. Sword [+26/+26/+21/+16/+17 17-20 x2 damage+1 CON damage 1d10+11+1d6]
Longbow, Composite [+20/+15/+10/+5 x3 1d8+7+1d6]
______________________________
Abilities (Str: 26 Dex: 16 Con: 20 Int: 12 Wiz: 14 Cha: 12 )
Special Qualities:
DR 2/-
DR 3/Cold Iron
When in combat focus, (maintained for 13 rounds per encounter) gains fast healing 4, knows HP of adjacent creatures, blindsight out to 5 feet.
SR 19

Lazlow
2008-01-22, 11:32 AM
Koko takes a swig off of Leveax's flask, grimaces, then smiles. "Ah! Nothing like a bit of fur of the canine which inflicted its bite attack on your person. Invigorating!" With that he directs his summoned celestial cats to position themselves around the sphere as he hovers directly above it.

"Well, there is no time like that which is concurrent with this statement I speak. Shall we?"

Hank Pym
2008-01-22, 01:21 PM
Levaex steps toward the portal. "Let's roll, before my buzz wears off," he says and takes another slug off his flask.

If Levaex thinks of it, he'll mention the idea Gor'thok almost had (that of tying ropes around each other to string us together).

Stat Block:

Levaex Twicedead
Wild-Elf Cleric Initiative: +0
HP: 189 / 189 DR: 3/- and 10/magic vs. ranged attacks*
Speed: 20'/x3
AC: 30 Touch: 11 FF: 30 (Armor +13, shield +6, Ring +2, Fault -1)
AC (vs. Incorporeal*): 39
Fort: +22 Ref: +12 Will: +28 (+6 all for Superior Resistance*)
Str: 10 Dex: 10 Con: 20 Int: 10 Wis: 32 Cha: 8

Attacks
Cold Iron Heavy Mace (+4*,Undead Bane*) +19/+14/+9* 1d8+6* 20/x2
Touch (melee) +15/+10/+5 as spell 20/x2

Abilities:
Low-Light Vision; Immune to Sleep Effects; +2 Save vs. Enchantments
+2 Search, Spot, Listen; Automatic search for Secret Doors
Deity = Boccob; Domains = Trickery and Knowledge
Pool of Healing Variant (lose 4th level spell slot, gain "lay on hands" for 95 points/day)
Darkvision 180'*; Blindsense 90'*; Water Breathing *; Immune to damage from water depth*; +10 move oversnow and ice*; can't slip or fall on ice*; cannot be raised as undead*
Immune to Fire, Cold, and Electrical Damage*; Protection from Acid and
Sonic Damage (120 points each)*

Equipment of Note:
Armor: Moderate Fortification (75% sneak attacks and criticals fail)
Ring: Freedom of Movement
Cloak of Displacement (major) (50% miss chance on pysical attacks)

Notes on Spell casting:
Spontaneous Domain Casting (Trickery, can sub Trickery for Knowledge)
Extra Domain Spell (9th level; Time Stop)
Total Spell Penetration + 22 (Spell Pen. and Greater Spell Pen.)
Spell DC = 21 + (level of spell) +2 (if Necromancy, S.F. and G.S.F.)

Flaw:
Vulnerable (-1 AC, +1 Feat)

Current Buffs: (included in above stats, where noted with *)
-Extended Water Breathing (51 hours)
-Energy Immunity (Fire, Cold, Electrical) (16 hours)
-Undead Bane Weapon (on his mace) (16 hours)
-Endure Elements (Sonic) (16 hours)
-Healthful Rest (16 hours)
-Portal Beacon (16 hours)
-Extended Ectoplasmic Armor (+9 vs. incorporeal attacks)(15 hours)
-Extended Protection from Arrows (15 hours)
-Extended Superior Resistence (+6 to saves)(13 hours)
-Extended Psychic Poison (15 hours)
-Extended Dragonsight (15 hours)
-Extended Trasformation of the Deeps (15 hours)
-Greater Magic Weapon (+4)(10 hours)
-(Mass) Snowshoes (10 hours)
-Spawn Screen (10 hours)
-Extended Mindblank (13 hours)
-Divine Insight (+15 to one skill check)(11 hours)
-Death Ward (18 minutes)
-Protection from Energy (Acid and Cold) (180 min.)

Grymmheart
2008-01-24, 11:47 AM
Skye prepares to leap through tha portal, feeling convinced that his inspection failed to discover any dangers. The only one's he must worry about are those that exist on the other side.

Tar Palantir
2008-01-24, 05:37 PM
Armanatar passes on the alcohol, which his undead metabolism could not digest, then said, "Well then, with Hextor's blessing, let us take the plunge." With that he joined the others beside the gate, casting one final spell to allow him to see those near to death, and those of eternal undeath as well. Then, he stepped into the portal.


Casting Deathwatch, then going in. Let's see what this death trap can throw at us!

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-01-24, 08:19 PM
James stands by his allies as they ready themselves for the gauntlet.

Godhood isn't going to come out here and bestow itself on us. Let's go.

Sheet and stablock in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3820619&postcount=25)

Sxoa
2008-01-25, 09:24 PM
The lot of you step into the portal and a flash of light envelopes you.

On the other side the freezing air is cold enough to cut through even the thickest clothings. It is thin, not lethally so, but enough to be uncomfortable, akin to being at high altitude. The sky is overcast, with heavy, thick, gray clouds. A wan gray light shines down, diffused so much by the cloud cover that it seems to be coming down from the clouds uniformly. The wind is blowing incredibly fiercely, and there is a heavy snowfall that obscures your vision.

You find yourselves on (or over) a large metal platform on top of a large pillar rimed with ice and snow. Perhaps 50 feet away on the ground you see a large glowing mass. It moves with a fluid life, but what exactly it is, is unclear through the flurrying snow.

I'm not sure this why this isn't showing, but the link is the map of the immediate surroundings.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2219168315_0ae72d923d.jpg?v=0

The green stuff is bog. The gold/brown thing in the middle is a platform that you all appear on. The big black square is the creature described. The gray spaces are large craggy barriers. You're not sure what they are inside but they're rimed with ice and snow.

Everyone make fortitude saves and roll for initiative!

Congratulations you have officially entered The Grinder

Tar Palantir
2008-01-25, 10:09 PM
Armanatar is unable to feel the cold, his flesh long since rotted away, and he does not notice the thinness of the air. He does, however, notice the glowing thing, and focuses his sight, to determine if it is alive, undead, or neither. He reaches over his back and draws his fiersome mace, his magically disguised face grinning more than any skull. He says to the others over the roaring wind, "If you can do anything about the wind, then do it. Otherwise, get ready to kill that thing, whatever it is. Wish I could cast some weather controlling spells, but Hextor has not seen fit to grant me that level of power. But this should do instead." He then mutters a prayer to the mighty Tyrant, asking for aid.


Trying to determine, with my Deathwatch spell, whether the glowing creature is alive and at 3+ hit points, alive and 2 or less hit points, dead, undead, or neither living nor dead (such as a contruct, or an inanimate object.) I then draw my flail as a move action, and as a standard action, begin casting Summon Undead V to summon a pair of allips (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/allip.htm). Concentration check to avoid distraction from the wind. Immune to the cold and thin air as an undead, as will be the summoned allips when they arrive.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sxoa
2008-01-25, 10:31 PM
Your eldritch sight shows the creature to be alive and well...
The creature is definitely alive and possesses more than 3 hit points.

Undead aren't immune to cold as a type. Deathknights on the other hand are so you're fine from it. You do however still need to make a Fort save even as an undead.

Tar Palantir
2008-01-26, 09:37 AM
I'll make the save, but undead are immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save that cannot affect objects. I'll post the save, but I wanted to be sure you knew that first.

[roll0]

Grymmheart
2008-01-26, 10:47 AM
Skye quickly scans the horizons to pull in as much information as possible. Eyeing the glowing mass, Skye takes a short step to put one of his larger companions between himself and the mass.

[roll0]

free spot/listen per round
[roll1]
[roll2]

also ring allows me to know all spells cast within 60' on spell level '15' or less without a spellcraft check. (requirements are spellcraft vs DC 15+ spell lvl. My spellcraft check is +30)

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-01-26, 03:11 PM
James looks around the icy expanse, body not even shivering from the cold.

He angles his sword and shield ever so slightly higher.


I forgot to add the buffs into my statblock... will edit the one in the IC thread to reflect this.

fort save - (1d20+18) [36]

initiative - (1d20+6) [21]

Lazlow
2008-01-26, 04:34 PM
"Most interesting..." Koko murmurs as he surveys the area, hovering four or five feet above his companions.


[roll0] (We're all under an extended Endure Elements spells, so I'm assuming this is for something other than the cold.)

Initiative rolls:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Lazlow
2008-01-28, 09:58 AM
Should've thought of this earlier. Koko will rummage through his brain to see if he can recognize the 'large glowing mass':

1d20+23 (Most obvious check)
1d20+23 (In case it's an outsider)
1d20+18 (Less likely)
1d20+15 (To see if it's manifesting any powers...?)

Other checks:
(To check for any magical effects already in place)
[[roll=Knowledge (Arcana)]1d20+33 (In case the Spellcraft isn't enough)
[roll6] (Catch-all for anything else of interest)

Grymmheart
2008-01-28, 10:02 AM
INitiative roll that I forgot
[roll0]

Lazlow
2008-01-28, 10:58 AM
I have no idea what happened there... Trying again:

Knowledge (Monster Lore) (Most obvious check)
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll1] (In case it's an outsider)
Knowledge (Nature) [roll2] (Less likely)
Knowledge (Psionics) [roll3] (To see if it's manifesting any powers...?)

Other checks:
[[roll=Knowledge (Arcana)]1d20+33 (In case the Spellcraft isn't enough)

Lazlow
2008-01-28, 10:59 AM
Gaaah... Okay, it doesn't like parentheses in the tags. Last one:

Knowlege (Arcana) [roll0] (In case the Spellcraft isn't enough)

Hank Pym
2008-01-28, 11:48 AM
Levaex shivers in the cold. Already not liking it here. He frowns at the blobbish, glowing thing and curses, "Boccob take you, beast."


Initiative = [roll]1d20[roll]
Fort Save = [roll0]

And to add to the barrage of cries of "but why do we have to make a fort save?!" I'll throw in that we all have Extended Superior Resistence which is +6 to all our saves. I've got that noted in my stat block, but not added to my saves. In short, please add 6 to my above save. If you'd prefer, I'll add the +6 in on my stat sheet.

I'm trying to get the range from us to the thing. If I'm reading your map right, it's 40' to the ground and you say he's about 50' away, so implementing my 7th grade algebra (about as far as I got) and the pythagoreom therom (probably mispelled) that puts the beast approximately 60-65 feet away (because of our height). Is that correct?

Also, can I use my Knowledge: Religion as a free action? If so, do I know anything about this creature with that skill? Skill check = [roll1].

Hank Pym
2008-01-28, 12:04 PM
My initiative roll didn't work. Okay, I'll try again:

Initiative = [b][roll0]

Sxoa
2008-01-28, 08:26 PM
The screaming wind batters your party. The first of Koko's lions is hurtled off the platform and into the slushy marsh below. Its flesh sizzles as it submerges entirely in the acidic bog and it vanishes, unsummoned. The second lion digs its claws into the icy rime, but still is jerked off the ledge. Instead of plunging directly into the bog it slams into the ice crust above it before breaking through and burning away in acidic sludge.
Armantar is jerked off his feet by the gale and sent flying into the acid below, a fall that would have knocked the wind from a mortal creature, but one that the death knight takes in stride. Leveak is bowled over, sliding 10 feet before he manages to catch purchase, just before sliding off the edge of the pillar.
Leveak slides out just before the Dire Lion slams down into the space he was just occupying. Koko, Skye and James all manage to hold their ground, that is until 3,500 pounds off pissed off kitty slams into them.


Sorry I've been waiting on Gor'thok, but since he's been absent I'll make his save for him. The lions needed to make saves too, but in the interest of expediency I'll do that as well.

I'm aware of the rules surrounding undead. This is for the fact that you guys are standing in what would be a category 7 hurricane if the scale went that high (it doesn't because storms on Earth don't get this strong). The storm appears natural to a spellcraft check.

Gor'thok(unbuffed, you still need to post a buffed sheet): [roll0]
Lion 1: [roll1]
Lion 2: [roll2]
Dire Lion:[roll3]
For Gor'thok's intiative, once you roll you can act after whoever has just gone (your character will be considered as waiting). Once everyone else has gone your turn is forfeit.

The wind is blowing to the west
Lion 1 is thrown 30 feet
Lion 2 is thrown 20 feet
Dire Lion is thrown 10 feet
Armantar is thrown 30 feet
Leveak is thrown 10 feet

Armantar takes 42 points of acid damage as he is submerged entirely in the bog (except he's immune so I don't think he does).

uhhh... I don't know the rules on what happens if someone is pushed into someone else. The closest thing that exists that I'm aware of is Shock trooper where you make trip attempts against both targets. I don't think that's fittinf here so I'm going to say its essentially making a bull rush attack with a bonus of +13. If Koko or James make it then then Skye doesn't have to.

The temperature is below -50 which means endure elements only provides partial protection (ala Frostburn). You'll need to make fort saves in 10 minutes.

You can make knowledge checks as free actions but you can't make out the creature well enough to identify it from this distance. The only reason you can see it through the driving snow is because it is glowing quite brightly.

Initiative order:
James (21)
Armantar (17)
Koko (15)
Leveax (14)
Skye (9)
Dire Lion (3)

Did I miss anything?

javcs
2008-01-28, 08:54 PM
Gor'thok

Gor'thok grunts as he hefts his greataxe ever so slightly higher, eying the blob.

Gah! Sorry, I just finished my finals.
Buffed block should be up momentarily.
Superior resistance gives a resistance bonus, right? So an extra +3 on that save. Not that it should matter a whole lot right now, since that 40 should beat anything on the table, unless we're in a lot more trouble than I think we are from the wind.
What direction is the wind blowing?
Initiative: [roll0]

Hank Pym
2008-01-29, 05:13 PM
"This dungeon is completely unlike anything I'd have hiterhto called a dungeon! Where's the walls of stone and torchlight? Bah! No matter! If this be our dungeon, then we'll meet it gloriously!

Staying prone in hopes of not being blown away, Levaex grits his teeth against the wind, concentrates and throws a spell.

If it works, he calls as loud as he can to be heard over the wind, "Prepare yourselves!" He'd like to say "grab hold" but knows there's nothing really to grab hold of, and so settles on this.

If his spell doesn't work, or doesn't achieve the desired effect (dropping us on the far side of the bog, hopefully about 30 feet from the glowing beast), then, well, what's an elf to do? :smalleek:


On his turn, Levaex stays prone and tries a stone shape spell. He will attempt to shape the stone of the tower and cause it to bend or even collapse at its base (ala a tree being cut down). He'll try to aim the tower so that it drops our gang as close to the glowing green as possible (we won't actually hit it from how far away it is). I understand that his aim won't be good in the first place and even worse with the winds blowing the tower as it falls, but that's what he's attempting. Hopefully no one minds! If so, I'm sorry! :smallfrown:

When we hit the snow (whether from my attempt or however), everyone remember that we've got Mass Snowshoes (Gain +10' to speed over ice and snow, Balance checks or Reflex saves to walk without slipping and falling are not required) so hopefully that will play to our advantage.

Concentration check to throw Stone Shape: [roll0]

I'll be out tomorrow, so if any other concentration checks, fort saves, etc. are required, Sxoa, please go ahead and roll for me.

Tar Palantir
2008-01-29, 05:45 PM
Armanatar

Armanatar tumbles into the hissing acid, thanking the Iron Tyrant for the magical protections graceing his undead flesh, and trying desperately to hold his summoning spell together. If it succeeds, he summons the creatures as near as possible to the blob creature, and commands them to attack with their insanity-inducing touch. Meanwhile, he stumbles to the surface, and calls down Hextor's blessing to smite his foe.


I am immune to all five elements, damage-wise (thanks for the protection spell, btw :smallbiggrin: ). As for my Summon Undead V, I made the save for distraction from the wind, but I'm not sure if I need another save for being thrown 30 feet into a pool of acid. Normally, the DC is based off of damage, but I took no damage. I'll make one, regardless. As for this action, the allips appear as close as possible to the blob and charge forward with Wis-draining touch attacks (as incorporeal beings they are unaffected by the wind). Armanatar moves toward the edge enough to be able to see (but stays in the acid, if it is shallow enough at the edges) and casts Flame Strike on the blob, Reflex DC 19 for half, half damage fire, half divine. I automatically pass my save vs. being distracted by the wind (+21 to Concentration).

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-01-30, 12:06 PM
James stands his ground against the wind, barely feeling the icy daggars of air. Suddenly, a massive furball obscures half of his vision. Reacting swiftly, he turns and attempts to stop it from striking him, arms slamming into the 'kitty' and pushing--hard, but probably not hard enough.


Strength Check - (1d20+8) [24]

Sxoa
2008-01-30, 01:05 PM
Fate is with James this day and he manages to stand strong against the massive weight slamming into him.
"Bull rush" [roll0]

Copied over from the OOC thread and corrected:
JamesLeveax: (1d4)[1] nonlethal damage
Dire Lion: (1d4)[4] nonlethal damage

Koko can actually make reflex save if you want since he's flying.

Lazlow
2008-01-30, 01:55 PM
"Holy flying cats!" Koko cries as he tries to maneuver himself out of the way of the dire lion's path.


[roll0]

Sxoa
2008-01-30, 02:06 PM
As Koko dodges out of the way Leveax's spell takes shape, warping the stone pillar at it's base far beneath your feet. With the sound of cracking ice and shattering stone in it lurches and gives way, plummeting to the ground below leaving only the flying Koko where he is.

Koko managed to dodge, so no problem there (good lord you have sick saves...).

As I said before you all can determine which way it falls if Hank Pym doesn't other wise I'll randomly determine out of the possible "close bys" this evening. Essentially right, left, or center.

Grymmheart
2008-01-30, 02:11 PM
Skye struggles against the wind. His compact dwarven form helps stabilize his footing against the winds. Realizing he is out of his element in this wide open expanse, he awaits the actions of his companions.

nothing to say or do for the rogue trap specialist. Maybe he should jump into the acid and save the group waiting for him to follow. Just kidding, hopefully he will survive long enough to be useful.

Sxoa
2008-01-30, 11:13 PM
The pillar plunges towards the ground below, and creates a large splash as it hits the acid as well as a rapidly dispersed plume of snow. Only the mighty Gor'thok and the Dire Lion stand above the deep snow when they rise. Even then, wading through it is extraordinarily difficult.

Armantar's allips rush forward to strike the creature. Armantar is confident in his minions but cannot tell whether they are successful or not from his position.

Nonlethal Damage to everyone who fell: [roll0]
plus
lethal Damage to everyone who fell: [roll1]

The snow is 70 inches deep so medium sized creatures can't walk through it. Larger creatures move at 1/4 speed. You all of course can walk on the surface with snow shoe spells, though you still need to get to the surface, which will require a climb or jump check or the like.

Lazlow
2008-01-31, 09:17 AM
Koko hovers above and a bit behind the pillar as it tips over and dispenses his companions below. As he flies he yells out, "Jump Lion-O, jump!", hoping his remaining celestial critter can make it onto the top of the snow.


Dire Lion's jump check: [roll0]
If successful, Reflex save to stay upright: [roll1]

Can Koko get a better look at the glowing blob thing from here?

Sxoa
2008-01-31, 02:29 PM
Lion-O leaps clear of the crashing pillar avoiding being deposited in the acidic bog. The celestial lion is standing deep in the snow directly in front of the creature.

Koko hovers over the group trying to get a better look at the creature. Though it is still obscured by driving blinding he has a much better picture of the creature. It is not something that he has seen before, either in person or in the many tomes he has pored through. It seems to be radiating heat, the thin air being distorted around it. It seems to be composed of hundreds of small white hot pieces of smelting slag as well as other less recognizable sludges.

The lion takes 7 damage nonlethal and 3 lethal instead of 5 and 5 since it made the reflex save.

The creature appears to be an elemental of some kind but thats all your knowledge check reveals

javcs
2008-01-31, 08:53 PM
Gor'thok

Gor'thok hops lightly onto the top of the snow, moves over to James and hauls him onto the top of the snow.

Would having Freedom of Movement affect my ability to move through the snow? Because Gor'thok has a Ring of Freedom of Movement on.
Also ... Gor'thok has a Ring of Feather Falling on. Would that let him land on top of the snow to start with?

Reflex save: [roll0]
Jump check to hop on top of the snow. [roll1] The 'hop up' maneuver is a DC10, takes 10ft of move. If that's the relevant one ... I think I make it.
Strength check to haul James up ... do I really need to make one? He's well within my light load capacity. I'll roll anyways [roll2].
I'll also use Natural Cunning to make sure that Gor'thok can get back to where he was at any given point.

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 01:00 AM
Gor'thok lands his daintily on top of the snow, a sight that would normally cause one to attempt to disbelieve the illusion. He treds flawlessly across the snow and halls James out, setting the smaller man upright smartly on the snow.
Sorry forgot about your feather fall, Gor'thok lands fine and take no damage. That's a weird image, 700+ pounds of bovine warrior hopping down softly on the snow

Hank Pym
2008-02-01, 07:14 PM
Levaex, completely invisible in the depth of the snow is startled that his own plan succeeded. "I can't believe that actually worked. Wait -- where'd everybody go?"

After a split-second's thought (about as much as any adventures give to their actions) he whips out his trusty "small, steal mirror" and holds it above the snow in one hand and looks through it to locate the team's opponent, presumably difficult to miss.

"Ah! There you are!"

If he is within range, he then attempts to call upon Boccob to "Kindly remove that glowing abomination from our presence."


Levaex will attempt to throw the spell Destruction at the beast, locating his target through his mirror. I have no idea if this is covered in the rules anywhere, but he's going to try it. I'll make a Concentration Check against the wind (if still necessary), but if you're going to require a higher concentration check I guess this roll counts for that, too.

Concentration Check to cast Destruction: [roll0]

If the spell works, then the glob needs to make a Fort save, DC 30 or be destroyed instantly. If it makes the save (which it probably will) it will take 10d6 damage, rolled here: [roll1].

And on the off-chance that it has SR, then here's a spell penetration check: [roll2]

I think that covers everything.

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 08:14 PM
Before Leveax can pop the mirror up, the hulking mass, rears up. It lets out a great roar as it trundles back slightly, and then it lets out a great blast from it's mouth. The air fills searing light, mostly white with some speckles of other colors here and there, as well as flying chunks of the same waste rock it looks to be made from.

The molten slag sticks your skin after being expelled, continuing to corrode your flesh. Disturbingly the air still glitters and sparkles all around you, and bits of metal swirl about in the blast area of the creatures breath weapon, seemingly unperturbed by the winds.
Everyone make reflex saves, don't forget summoned creatures.
Seeing if Allips are affected, high is yes, low is no:
Ms. Allip[roll0]
Mr. Allip[roll1]
120 untyped damage on a failed save. I'll tell you if you pass.
Armantar is in range of the cone, but has some cover from the slush, he qualifies as having evasion for this.
There is a cloud of "breathweapony stuff" remaining in the area where it just hit. Your keen adventurer instincts tell you, that if you remain where you are, the cloud will keep hurting you.

Lazlow
2008-02-01, 08:36 PM
Seeing the thing-blob-beast rise up and spew forth slag, Koko frantically tries to fly out of harm's way.


Sheeeeesh...

Koko: [roll0]
Lion-O: [roll1]

Hank Pym
2008-02-01, 08:48 PM
Levaex attempts to duck for cover.


REFLEX? D'oh! Drat. Hey, a natural 20's always a success, right?

[roll0]

With all that radioactive waste (what I suspect it is, anyway) flying all over, is enough snow melted/destroyed/blown away that we can move freely in the area of the cone after the breath weapon hits?

Tar Palantir
2008-02-01, 09:49 PM
Armanatar sees the glowing death coming from the creature, and attempts to dive into the acid pool to hide from the deadly blast.


C'mon, give me a good number!

[roll0]

Grymmheart
2008-02-01, 09:53 PM
Skye whispers " Oh, crap," as he tries to evade the toxic blast coming his way.


[roll0] rogue evasion if save

javcs
2008-02-01, 10:18 PM
Gor'thok

Gor'thok's eyes widen as he sees the thing's breath as he twists, attempting to dodge the effects.


[roll0]

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 11:54 PM
The blast rips through frigid, tearing into your party.
Gor'thok and James takes the full blast, staggering under the mighty onslaught but not bowing.
Skye somehow, defying all reason, manages to twist and turn, evading any metal or searing light. He dusts himself off, and smiles for the camera, the meager sun lens flaring off his winning grin.
Koko manges to dodge partially, but even his flight aided movement can only save him partially from the blast.
His lion is not so lucky, and its flesh is burned in layers before the bones too are reduced to unsummoned powder.
Though Armantar is too slow, his total submersion in acid strangely enough partially protects the undead templar, but both his Allips are vaporized (further?) by the beast.
For James save so you can all do what you will: [roll0]
Skye takes none
Koko and Armantar take half damage (I meant improved evasion for Armantar), unless Koko has evasion and I missed it.
Gor'thok and James take full.
Lion-O and the Allips die no matter what.
Everyone but Skye needs to make saves from massive damage.

I don't think that killed anyone. Oh well, I'll try again soon!:smalltongue:

Yeah sure Mr. Pym, the area is cleared for a round at least
EDIT: Sorry, for clarification I'll put this in.
James (DELAYING FROM 21)
Armantar (17)
Allips more deceased
Koko (15)
Leveax (14)
CREATURE (13)
GoríThok (10)
Skye (9)
Dire Lion (3) deceased

So it's Gor'thok's turn. James can jump in whenever he wants. People who go after the creature can obviously revise their actions now that you know about the breath weapon attack...

Tar Palantir
2008-02-02, 12:18 AM
Armanatar staggers back, even the glancing blow wounding him more than he wuld like. His hand begins to glow with fell power, and he uses the energies granted by his almighty lord to repair his undead form. He then moves toward the creature, hiding beneath the surface of the acid to avoid drawing further attention until he was ready to strike.


Cast Harm from my domain slot on myself, then move as close as possible while remaining in the acid, staying crouched low to remain completely hidden beneath the acid, but trying to stick to areas where I could straighten up and be above the surface. Harm brings me back up to full. :smalltongue:

Lazlow
2008-02-02, 10:54 AM
Koko thanks his lucky stars he was able to dodge at least some of the monster's attack. He winces and attempts to shrug off the pain...


Fort save for massive damage [roll0]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-02, 06:25 PM
Son of a bi-"

James takes the brunt of the breath weapon directly to his front, unprepared after being pulled up by Gor.

He brushes off the dust with a few precious seconds of time, growling as he does so.

During this, his belt gives off a slight glow as it absolves him of some of his wounds.

"There will be death. And it will be bloody, or bile-y or whatever it is this thing gives off when you kill it."



In total, James has DR 5, does that work against this?

Fort Save for Massive Damage: [roll0]

Belt of Healing Result: [roll1]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-03, 08:25 AM
Fort: [roll0]

Healing Belt: [roll1]

Reflex: [roll2]

Sxoa
2008-02-03, 08:34 PM
While his body survives the shock of the brutal blast, James is unable to remove the cloying material.
People who don't manage to remove the clinging breathweapon will take damage on their next turn.

javcs
2008-02-03, 08:46 PM
Reflex: [roll0]
Massive damage: [roll1]

Grymmheart
2008-02-04, 07:48 AM
Skye

Skye smiles briefly as he sees he did not take any damage from the breath of the beast.

Calling out to his companions he yells, "Spread out as much as you can to avoid being caught in a single blast again." As the words are completed, he moves as far from the group as possible drawing his crossbow, before attempting to hide from the beast with any availabe cover.



[roll0]



Stat Block
should have stat box complete soon


Skye Obsidian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35183)
M ng Dwarf Rogue/SilverKey/Exemplar, Level 3/10/5,
Init +7, SensesDarkvision 60'(180'), blindsense 90'free spot/listen 1 per round, Listen +19, Spot +17 (+26 with mask)
LanguagesCommon, dwarf, terran, orc, giant, wand comprehend lang
___________________________________________
AC 22 (25)(Armor+6(+9),Dex +7,Flaw -1), Touch 16 (25 vs incorporeal), Flat-footed 16(19), (Dodge feat) (+4 dodge giants)
HP 155/155 (HD18)
Resist dwarf +2 save spell/SLA, +2 poison save, slippery mind
SR25Immune fire, acid, electricity
DR 10/magic vs ranged weapons
Fort +1617, Ref +2324, Will +1718
____________________________________________
Speed 30 40' snow/ice
Base Attack Bonus 12
Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20(+23)(1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) (+2att/+2d6dmg undead) or
+1 dagger +12 (+20 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Full Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20/+15/+10(+23/+18/+13) (1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) or
+1 dagger +12/+7/+2(+20/+15/+10 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Space/Reach5'/5'
____________________________________________
Abilities Str 12, Dex 24, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Condition waterbreathing, psychic poison,
FeatsEducation, Skill focus (disable), least dragonmark (warding), Item familiar, quick reconnoiter, tactile trapsmith, martial study, open minded, darkstalker
SuCrafty hands- move act to open/disable within 60', concentration required, Cunning body- 1/d each, waterbreath/featherfall/remove paralyisis (CL 10) if subjected to those stressors
Skills Balance +14, Concentration +11, Craft (trap) +8, Disable traps +40, Disable device +34, Hide +40, Jump +19, Move silently +22, Open lock +27, Search +26 (+35 with mask), Search traps/wards/glyphs +40 (+45 with mask), Spellcraft +30, Spellcraft traps/wards +36, Tumble +14, UMD +25
____________________________________________
EquipmentNeck- Rary's telepathic bond, 1 known person within 1mile, for 1 min, 3/d

Feet- dex mod for jump, stand from prone as swift and no AOO/pass without a trace, teleport 3/d (CL 9)

Head- +3 chr skill checks, +2 comp spot, 3 charges/day, 1 charge grants darkvision 1hr to 60', 2 charges see invis for 10 min, 3 charges for trueseeing for 1 min

Ring(left)- spellcraft check DC 15+spell lvl to determine all spellcasting within 60', 1/day can immediate activate ring to dispel identified spell (As dispel magic) or redirect to legal target within 60', if illegal target spell wasted.

Ring of regeneration

Face- +9 insight bonus search/spot

Hands- shadow hand 1-3 maneuver- cloak of deception- swift act for 1rd greater invis

Orb of renewal- 3 charge/day
1 charge- Heal 4 pts Int/Wis/or Chr, or 2 to all 3
2 charges- 6 pts to 1, or 3pts to all 3
3 charges- 8 pts to 1, or 4pts to all 3

Rod of bodily restoration- as above but str/dex/con

Wands, eternal-Spiderclimb, protection from evil (x2), Silence, Reduce person, Comprehend languages, detect secret doors (x2)

Bag of holding 2

Item familiar- Rod of escape- Jump and knock 2/day each (CL9), 5' sphere to repel nonmagical water for 10 minutes, Int 16/Wis 12/ Chr 12, blindsense 30', see, hear, darkvision 60', speak/read common, dwarf, elf, giant, telepathy 120' with owner, invested skill points per sheet

Hank Pym
2008-02-04, 09:55 AM
Levaex tries not to die instantly from the effects of the breath weapon as it washes over him.


Save vs. Massive Damage = [roll0]

Also (assuming I just made that save), now that we're actually taking damage, as the party cleric I ask all the players to keep me apprised of your HP. If you're getting low, or even nervous, let me know A ROUND AHEAD OF TIME (if possible) so that I can try to get to you and help before you go down. I take MediCade and MediCare and cold, hard gold pieces! (or, for The Grinder, only, all healing is 100% off!)

Levaex is here to keep the party alive (er, active) first and foremost. You all know you're built to do more damage against a creature like this than I am, and I don't mind spending my rounds throwing healing spells instead of doing damage.

To further help in keeping track of such things, I'm going to start posting my stat block in each of my posts. Please follow suite if you think it's a worthy idea.



Stat Block:

Levaex Twicedead
Wild-Elf Cleric Initiative: +0
HP: 64 / 189 (3 non-lethal, 122 lethal)
DR: 3/- and 10/magic vs. ranged attacks*
Speed: 20'/x3
AC: 30 Touch: 11 FF: 30 (Armor +13, shield +6, Ring +2, Fault -1)
AC (vs. Incorporeal*): 39
Fort: +22 Ref: +12 Will: +28 (+6 all for Superior Resistance*)
Str: 10 Dex: 10 Con: 20 Int: 10 Wis: 32 Cha: 8

Attacks
Cold Iron Heavy Mace (+4*,Undead Bane*) +19/+14/+9 1d8+6 20/x2
Touch (melee) +15/+10/+5 as spell 20/x2

Abilities:
Low-Light Vision; Immune to Sleep Effects; +2 Save vs. Enchantments
+2 Search, Spot, Listen; Automatic search for Secret Doors
Deity = Boccob; Domains = Trickery and Knowledge
Pool of Healing Variant (lose 4th level spell slot, gain "lay on hands" for 95 points/day)
Darkvision 180'*; Blindsense 90'*; Water Breathing *; Immune to damage and cold from water depth*; +10 move oversnow and ice*; can't slip or fall on ice*; cannot be raised as undead*
Immune to Fire, Cold, and Electrical Damage*; Protection from Acid and Sonic Damage (120 points each)*

Equipment of Note:
Armor: Moderate Fortification (75% sneak attacks and criticals fail)
Ring: Freedom of Movement
Cloak of Displacement (major) (50% miss chance on pysical attacks)

Notes on Spell casting:
Spontaneous Domain Casting (Trickery, can sub Trickery for Knowledge)
Extra Domain Spell (9th level; Time Stop)
Total Spell Penetration + 22 (Spell Pen. and Greater Spell Pen.)
Spell DC = 21 + (level of spell) +2 (if Necromancy, S.F. and G.S.F.)

Flaw:
Vulnerable (-1 AC, +1 Feat)

Current Buffs: (included in above stats, where noted with *)
-Extended Water Breathing (51 hours)
-Energy Immunity (Fire, Cold, Electrical) (16 hours)
-Undead Bane Weapon (on his mace) (16 hours)
-Endure Elements (Sonic) (16 hours)
-Healthful Rest (16 hours)
-Portal Beacon (16 hours)
-Extended Ectoplasmic Armor (+9 vs. incorporeal attacks)(15 hours)
-Extended Protection from Arrows (15 hours)
-Extended Superior Resistence (+6 to saves)(13 hours)
-Extended Psychic Poison (15 hours)
-Extended Dragonsight (15 hours)
-Extended Trasformation of the Deeps (15 hours)
-Greater Magic Weapon (+4)(10 hours)
-(Mass) Snowshoes (10 hours)
-Spawn Screen (10 hours)
-Extended Mindblank (13 hours)
-Divine Insight (+15 to one skill check)(11 hours)
-Death Ward (18 minutes)
-Protection from Energy (Acid and Cold) (180 min.)

javcs
2008-02-05, 08:51 PM
Gor'thok
Bellowing in anger, Gor'thok retaliates, loosing a series of sweeping blows upon the creature, with both axe and horns. MEET MY AXE!!


138/258 HP remaining
Full Attack, with Mighty Swing, attacking 3 squares of the creature. Not sure how that interacts with big creatures, but, if it works, it works, if not, well, no big loss.

Axe1: [roll0], damage [roll1]
Axe2: [roll2], damage [roll3]
Axe3: [roll4], damage [roll5]
Gore: [roll6], damage [roll7]

Sxoa
2008-02-05, 09:24 PM
Gor'thok cleaves into the beast before delivering a mighty blow with his horns. The creature's "flesh" seems to part readily enough, and Gor'thok easily lands the blow.
From my reading of Mighty Swing I think it only affects a defender once, even if it occupies more than one square.
So you do the 1st axe swing plus the gore for 73 damage.

You're directly adjacent to it so I'm presuming you took a five foot step to get of the cloud of breathweapon remaining where the cone of the blast was (it's narrow at the base).

Removing the breathweapon stuff is a full round action for anyone who attempts it.

javcs
2008-02-05, 09:33 PM
I figured that would probably be the case, but, asking doesn't hurt.

However, there are 3 different attacks with the axe - each one of those attacks (axe1, axe2, and axe3) would hit 3 different squares with Mighty Swing, same attack roll applying to each set of 3 squares.
That's why they were labeled differently.
So ... yeah, thats more like 158 damage.

Eh, yeah, 5ft step sideways, forgot to mention that.

Sxoa
2008-02-05, 11:30 PM
Gor'thok's final two blows land with brutal ferocity, ripping chunks of the creature away from the main mass.
my mistake:smallsmile:

Hank Pym
2008-02-06, 10:51 AM
Unsure of what the lingering breath weapon will do, Levaex plays it safe and knocks the bits of detritus off himself.


Okay, I guess I WON'T use my mirror to throw Destruction.

I hope we can all survive a round while I knock this stuff off myself. I don't know how much damage it's going to do next round, and if it kills me then I won't be able to heal us the following round (and healing this round, right before James and GorThok take more damage isn't going to do much, anyway -- I just hope the two of you survive).

I'm not sure what I need to roll to "try" not to take damage this round. I'll just throw a d20 and let you add what needs added, Sxoa. If it's a Reflex save, my current Reflex save is +12.

[roll0]

Grymmheart
2008-02-06, 11:08 AM
Skye

Skye moves a safe distance away from the beast while drawing his crossbow. Taking aim, he attempts to drive a bolt deep within its mass.


Apply dodge feat to beast

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] only if possible to get flank/flat footed attack

Well I auto missed, but I forgot to mention bolt is a force bolt so ignores DR, unless immune to force effects

Lazlow
2008-02-06, 11:22 AM
Moving out of the cloud, Koko screeches a few arcane shrieks and attempts to rid the clinging remains of the thing's breath weapon with his magic.


For his standard action, Koko's going to use a targeted Dispel Magic on the breathweapony stuff to get it off, and using his move action, he'll get out of the cloud but remain within at least 30' of Leveax (should be possible, since the cone is narrow this close to the creature; he'll also stay as high as he can, so probably close to 30' up from Leveax). He'll move in the opposite direction that Skye is moving to spread the party out and hopefully attempt to flank at some point.

[roll0]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-06, 01:21 PM
When his turn comes up, James will (if the stuff does not fade after damaging him the second time) attempt to remove it and take a 5 foot step away from the creature if he is adjacent.

Reflex Save: [roll0]

If the stuff does fade after damaging him, he attacks as follows:

Attacks:

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

If they hit, respectively: (Crits on 17-20, and 1 CON damage for each attack that hits. Neither occurs if the creature is immune to criticals. Oh, and if any crit I will roll the extra damage from Shocking Burst and Thundering.)

[roll7] and [roll8] makes
[roll9] and [roll10] makes
[roll11] and [roll12] makes
[roll13] and [roll14] makes
[roll15] and [roll16] makes
[roll17] and [roll18] makes

Sxoa
2008-02-06, 05:09 PM
Leveax tries to brush off the mess the material but it clings to him tenaciously. Fortunately though it fades after a few moments regardless of his efforts, but not before searing his flesh further. Likewise, it continues to corrode James before fading to nothingness.

Koko attempts to dispel the stuff but it resists his magics. He doesn't get the chance to watch it fade as it eats through him, killing the flying mage where he floats. He drops to the ground lifeless.

James pounds on the creature every blow landing true and ripping into the beast. You can barely hear it's roar over the howling wind.


It's a reflex save.

The clinging breath weapon does another 60 damage before it fades to those who failed their reflex saves without cover (and 30 to Armantar). Which means everyone above acid has taken 180 damage, and Armantar has taken 90 by the end of the round.

Assuming you're doing full damage with every blow (and you think you are) you all have done a total of 277 damage to this thing. It doesn't look to be doing too hot.

During Armantar's turn, if I understand correctly you're getting out of the cone and casting Harm on yourself, while staying under the acid. If that's incorrect then give me a heads up. I'll give you all chances to post, correcting me if I've made a mistake somewhere etc and then the creature is going again. It seems to be getting ready for some melee.

Tar Palantir
2008-02-06, 09:16 PM
Right on the money, Sxoa. Shame about the monkey. Is the body still well preserved enough to use Raise Dead, or will it take Ressurection? I don't have the diamonds, but I trust that Leveax does (or rather I hope :smalleek: ). If not, we can always just take his stuff and keep going. But don't count yourself out yet, Koko.

Sxoa
2008-02-07, 10:42 AM
The creature rears up and attempts to pound James and Gor'thok into the ground. It's blows though fail to penetrate the two warriors defenses. It lets out a frustrated roar.
It's now Gor'thok's turn again as per this list:
James (21)
Armantar (17)
Koko (15)
Leveax (14)
GoríThok (10)
Skye (9)

Remember to make Fortitude saves against the wind (DC 30) on your turns.

Grymmheart
2008-02-07, 11:11 AM
Skye

Skye takes aim again and fires 3 times at the foul beast, all while trying to fight the winds that are buffeting him.



Modify attacks as needed with wind.

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] crit threat rolls, add needed BAB bonus
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Sneak dmg, doubt in effect
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]



Stat Block
should have stat box complete soon


Skye Obsidian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35183)
M ng Dwarf Rogue/SilverKey/Exemplar, Level 3/10/5,
Init +7, SensesDarkvision 60'(180'), blindsense 90'free spot/listen 1 per round, Listen +19, Spot +17 (+26 with mask)
LanguagesCommon, dwarf, terran, orc, giant, wand comprehend lang
___________________________________________
AC 22 (25)(Armor+6(+9),Dex +7,Flaw -1), Touch 16 (25 vs incorporeal), Flat-footed 16(19), (Dodge feat) (+4 dodge giants)
HP 155/155 (HD18)
Resist dwarf +2 save spell/SLA, +2 poison save, slippery mind
SR25Immune fire, acid, electricity
DR 10/magic vs ranged weapons
Fort +1617, Ref +2324, Will +1718
____________________________________________
Speed 30 40' snow/ice
Base Attack Bonus 12
Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20(+23)(1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) (+2att/+2d6dmg undead) or
+1 dagger +12 (+20 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Full Attack+1 (+4)Force Quickload Light crossbow +20/+15/+10(+23/+18/+13) (1d8+1(+4), 19-20*2) or
+1 dagger +12/+7/+2(+20/+15/+10 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20*2)
Space/Reach5'/5'
____________________________________________
Abilities Str 12, Dex 24, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Condition waterbreathing, psychic poison,
FeatsEducation, Skill focus (disable), least dragonmark (warding), Item familiar, quick reconnoiter, tactile trapsmith, martial study, open minded, darkstalker
SuCrafty hands- move act to open/disable within 60', concentration required, Cunning body- 1/d each, waterbreath/featherfall/remove paralyisis (CL 10) if subjected to those stressors
Skills Balance +14, Concentration +11, Craft (trap) +8, Disable traps +40, Disable device +34, Hide +40, Jump +19, Move silently +22, Open lock +27, Search +26 (+35 with mask), Search traps/wards/glyphs +40 (+45 with mask), Spellcraft +30, Spellcraft traps/wards +36, Tumble +14, UMD +25
____________________________________________
EquipmentNeck- Rary's telepathic bond, 1 known person within 1mile, for 1 min, 3/d

Feet- dex mod for jump, stand from prone as swift and no AOO/pass without a trace, teleport 3/d (CL 9)

Head- +3 chr skill checks, +2 comp spot, 3 charges/day, 1 charge grants darkvision 1hr to 60', 2 charges see invis for 10 min, 3 charges for trueseeing for 1 min

Ring(left)- spellcraft check DC 15+spell lvl to determine all spellcasting within 60', 1/day can immediate activate ring to dispel identified spell (As dispel magic) or redirect to legal target within 60', if illegal target spell wasted.

Ring of regeneration

Face- +9 insight bonus search/spot

Hands- shadow hand 1-3 maneuver- cloak of deception- swift act for 1rd greater invis

Orb of renewal- 3 charge/day
1 charge- Heal 4 pts Int/Wis/or Chr, or 2 to all 3
2 charges- 6 pts to 1, or 3pts to all 3
3 charges- 8 pts to 1, or 4pts to all 3

Rod of bodily restoration- as above but str/dex/con

Wands, eternal-Spiderclimb, protection from evil (x2), Silence, Reduce person, Comprehend languages, detect secret doors (x2)

Bag of holding 2

Item familiar- Rod of escape- Jump and knock 2/day each (CL9), 5' sphere to repel nonmagical water for 10 minutes, Int 16/Wis 12/ Chr 12, blindsense 30', see, hear, darkvision 60', speak/read common, dwarf, elf, giant, telepathy 120' with owner, invested skill points per sheet

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-07, 01:56 PM
*Forgot in previous post*

As James hacks away at the creature, stunned at the inability of Gorthok's axe and his sword to bring it down, he stubbornly resists the thundering windstorm.


Fort Save: 1d20+18

EDIT: For terrible typos.
EDIT again: Ah screw it, I'll try the roller again tommorow.

Hank Pym
2008-02-07, 04:07 PM
Levaex spits out grit from between his teeth, whips out a scroll and throws a spell. "Uh-humbity-bumbity-Boccob-a-mummba-mumba-MUU!!"

As a result of this jibberish, a great swirl of electric blue light pours from the scroll and reaches like the tenticles of an ocotopus to touch each of the characters, except Armanatar.

As the tendrils hit the characters, they feel themselves invigorated and again ready for action.


I know I'm posting out of turn, but the beast has gone, so it should be okay, right? If Koko is up (alive), a tendril will touch him, too.

The scroll is a Mass Heal, so everyone in the party (except Armanatar) will heal 170 damage as well as getting back any ability loss, etc. I think that the HP damage is all we're suffering right now.

Concentration check for the wind: [roll0]
Fort save against the wind: [roll1]

And if anyone else was counting my HP; yes, that was a close one (down to 4 HP).

Tar Palantir
2008-02-07, 06:24 PM
Reinvigorated with his own negative energy, the undead fiend calls upon his own innate magic, focusing the energies gifted him by his dread lord to grant him the strength and skill of a mighty warrior. He then positions himself as close as he can to the creature, without breaking cover or clustering too closely to his allies.


Using one of my 3 Divine Power SLAs, without surfacing. Then I move to within charge range (40 feet), without revealing myself or bunching up next to the others if possible. If not, priority is first charge range (modified as needed by any difficult terrain, etc.), then clustering, then revealing. Updated stat block after the spell (blue values are with buffs, leaving unbuffed values for reference):

Armanatar the Soulless (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35470)
Male Lawful Evil Human Deathknight Fighter 2/Cleric 11, Level 13,
Init +7, HP 97/97 108/97, DR 15/magic, Speed 20

AC 45 (+13 Armor, +4 Shield, +3 Dex, +10 Natural, +5 Deflect), Touch 18, Flat-footed 42,
Fort +15 +16, Ref +11 +12, Will +17 +18,
Base Attack Bonus +10/+5 +13/+8/+3
+4 Spellblade Wounding Profane Burst Flail +21/+16 +27/+22/+17 (1d8+10+1d6 1d8+13+1d6 , X2) (+1d10 on crit, X2 vs good outsiders, 1 Con damage. Immune disintegrate, Undead Bane)
Touch Attack +14 +17 (1d8+2 (10), X2) (Maximized by Gauntlets of the Blood Lord, 1 Con damage, DC 21 Will half )
+5 Mithral Fullplate of Energy Drain (Enervation on touch, as the spell)
+2 Mithral Heavy Shield
Abilities Str 22 28, Dex 16, Con -, Int 17, Wis 20, Cha 21
Special Qualities,Special Attacks, Misc. Immune to Electricity, Cold, Fire, Sonic, Acid, and Polymorph; Spell Resistance 23; Turn Immunity; Fear Aura DC 23 Will negates; Abyssal Blast 13d6, DC 21 Reflex for half; Rebuke Undead 8/day; Divine Power 3/day as a spell-like ability; Darkvision 180ft; Blindsense 90ft; Freedom of Movement

Tar Palantir
2008-02-07, 06:25 PM
Had to preview the last post, here's my Fortitude save:

[roll0]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-07, 08:47 PM
James tilts his head back as his wounds stitch themselves shut, even as he crouches slightly trying to resist the wind.


Fort Save: (1d20+18)[32]

Lazlow
2008-02-07, 10:13 PM
Suddenly Koko's body is consumed with a flash of ruby light, and just as suddenly he reappears, whole and hale again.

"That was not pleasant," he mutters.


Gonna wait and see if the monster's still standing after the two warriors have at it; I'll edit my post with Koko's actions then.

Lazlow
2008-02-07, 10:17 PM
Koko's Fort save vs. the wind:
[roll0]

javcs
2008-02-10, 05:10 PM
Gor'thok

Grunting against the wind, Gor'thok continues to pound the creature.


HP: 248/258
Fortitude save against the wind: [roll0]
If he succeeds, he full attacks the creature again.
Axe1: [roll1], damage [roll2]
Axe2: [roll3], damage [roll4]
Axe3: [roll5], damage [roll6]
Gore: [roll7], damage [roll8]

That's 164 damage (all attacks hit, as a 30 hit before, and the lowest is a 31 this time) and a DC 15 Massive Damage save (it'll probably make the save, but if could be unlucky).

No longer necessary
In the unlikely event he fails the save, he charges, and attacks the creature with his axe, power attacking for 2.
Axe: [roll9], damage [roll10]

Sxoa
2008-02-11, 05:12 AM
Gor'thok's axe smashes into the creature once again, and what happens next all rushes by in the blink of an eye. Noticeable now onlyy by it's absence there is the sudden loss of a very slight and subtle pressure that had been pushing outward from the creature on all your ferrous gear. The molten slag heap that stood before you begins implode, collapsing in on itself as brilliant white light begins to shine out of the beast from deep within. For a second the roar of the collapsing metal grinding against itself goes silent. Then the world erupts around you, as if a tiny peace of the sun had been made manifest here and now, your entire existence is pure blinding white light for a fraction of a second.
Everyone make reflex saves for half damage! Failure means you take 400 hp of damage,

Tar Palantir
2008-02-11, 06:06 AM
Do I still get improved evasion from being in the acid? Because if not, I'm dead either way. Ah well, that's what contingent revive undead is for.

[roll0]

Grymmheart
2008-02-11, 07:33 AM
what is the range of that effect? I tried to move Skye away to still be in crossbow range, but definitely not adjacent.

[roll0]

javcs
2008-02-11, 08:54 AM
Skye, the radius, according to the source Sxoa gave us is 400ft. We're all within ~50ft, I believe, it might be less distance.
Reflex save: [roll0]
If the reflex save is made, massive damage save here: [roll1].

Hank Pym
2008-02-11, 09:22 AM
Reflex save for Levaex: [roll0]

Lazlow
2008-02-11, 09:37 AM
This roll is completely moot, since even if Koko makes it and takes half damage he'll still be at -90.

[roll0]

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-11, 11:47 AM
James watches as Gor'thok downs the beast. His face turns into a mask of fear as the massive explosion commences. Before he can cry out, move, or even think, the blinding light surges over and through his body.

Even as his physical self is torn apart, James' soul whispers for a moment before being swept away in the wind.

"Damn."


Useless Save: [roll0]

Good game everybody.

Sxoa
2008-02-12, 12:53 AM
The blast wave washes over your party, leaving a smoldering crater and mushroom cloud. There is a momentary respite from the wind as the shock wave pushes outward from you. The disrupted airflow soon begins to flow back though, and the cloud of steam and debris is whisked away.
Save DC was 25. Armantar had improved evasion due to improved cover (although that gets disintegrated too, but thems the rules I think). You guys have action points that you can use to boost saves too remember.

I refer you too my post in the OOC thread. Don't count yourselves out just yet.

Remember too, you guys can try, try again. Essentially if you want a mulligan, you're welcome to one, but I don't think you need it.

Tar Palantir
2008-02-12, 06:06 AM
Using an action point to bump it up 3d6. At least a 10, and I save for no damage.

[roll0]

Edit: Crap.

Sir *TIM!!!!!!*
2008-02-12, 06:51 AM
If I used an acton point, there's no way I could fail the save because three 1's+22=25.

With James at full health from the Heal and his 15 DR, that takes him within 5 HP of living.

*twitch*