PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-11, 02:15 PM
Hiho!
After a long time of d20/D&D absence we will start playing D&D again. We'll use the 3.0 rules. Well, mainly the 3.0 rules. Since most stuff is now 3.5 (and will be 4.0 or higher pretty soon) we also use some 3.5 material.

Oh, and I'll GM ;)
Since I am a bit rusty, chances are good that I'll ask a lot of stupid question over the next couple of weeks.

The players will start at level 1 - so if you have any memories of great low-level adventures or moments, it would be great if you could share them. Maybe I can steal an idea or two for my campaign ;)
So, and now I'll read the "Simple Q&A" for the next couple of hours. :smallredface:

blue_fenix
2008-01-11, 02:19 PM
Before I share any stories, which I'm sure others can do far better than me anyway, I would like to suggest that you choose to use entirely 3.5 material. 3.0 had some serious issues with certain things like damage reduction and some of the numbers for many different things being fairly out of whack. For example, the 3.0 book Monster Manual 2 has a creature whose name I can't remember with CR 5, DR 10 or more, and a fear effect that lasts 4d6 rounds.

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-11, 03:55 PM
While this is sound advice, I don't think that's an option ;)
We bought the 3.0 source books a couple of years ago. While I have all the 3.5 source books, my players don't. And if I suggest buying 3.5 books with 4.0 around the corner, I don't think I'll survive the first session, heh.

Regarding damage reduction and strange monsters - well, I am the GM and take the freedom to change monster stats now and then and fudge rolls if needed. DR is house-ruled anyway (allowing weaker weapons to overcome part of the DR, so a DR 10/+2 creature would have DR 5 against a +1 weapon and a DR 10 against a mundane weapon).

Regarding story tips & hints: well, some low level moments from a player point of view would help me as well, it doesn't have to be GM advice.

Valairn
2008-01-11, 04:08 PM
Go to www.d20srd.org, and download the relevant rules, walaa now everyone has a copy of the 3.5 rules without spending a dime or breaking any laws.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-01-11, 04:09 PM
While this is sound advice, I don't think that's an option ;)
We bought the 3.0 source books a couple of years ago. While I have all the 3.5 source books, my players don't. And if I suggest buying 3.5 books with 4.0 around the corner, I don't think I'll survive the first session, heh.

Fortunately there's the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) so your players can find all the info they need about 3.5 online!

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-11, 04:30 PM
Great! Can you point me to the translated versions? You know, not everyone speaks English ;)
And I must admit that we never had serious problems with 3.0. The first campaign was Return to the temple of elemental evil, the 2nd was a home brew level 5-18th campaign. While we had some rule problems from time to time, we also had lots of fun.
Hm.. this seems to become a 3.0 vs. 3.5 discussion.. um.. so well... yes!

We're using the 3.5 rules. Now, any chance we could talk about memorable low level moments? :smallamused:

KillianHawkeye
2008-01-11, 04:52 PM
Well, it's been quite a while since I played in a low-level game, but there is one story I remember that's pretty good....

I think I was level 2 (Psion 1/Fighter 1) and we were facing some skeletons in a dungeon somewhere. Well, I didn't have any bludgeoning weapons, so I hooked one of the skeletons with my grappling hook and tried to pull it away from my other party members. When it couldn't get away from me, it came to attack me, so on my next turn I grabbed the grappling hook and made a Strength check.

I think I took off one of its arms and half its rib cage, and it was pretty much dead after that. :smallwink:

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-01-11, 05:16 PM
Great! Can you point me to the translated versions? You know, not everyone speaks English ;)

I thought I had one, but I can't seem to find it, what language do you need it translated into?

Edit:
I see now, German, I think that should be possible.

Edit2: Well I'm afraid I can't find a German translation, doesn't mean there isn't one though, but it makes it unlikely.