PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing (spoilers)

Guts
2008-01-11, 03:02 PM
Anyone read the most recent manga chapter. Could you explain why Alucard faded away? I understand he absorbed Schroedinger's soul when he unknowingly drank his blood, but dont get what the Major was explaining to Intergra.

Alucard's 'death' is kinda ironic in a sense, considering the meme about applying real-life physics to fantasy kills catgirls, yet Al died by drinking the blood of a catboy who embodies some thought experiment on certain interpretations of quantum mechanics.

mause
2008-01-12, 04:34 PM
I think he died because he disolve himself in millions/billions of souls
It seems we'll have to wait until the next chapter :/

Kojiro Kakita
2008-01-12, 07:31 PM
I don't know why there is any confusion. The manga seemed to have a very straightforward answer. Alucard exists because he has taken the lives (souls) of many individuals which in turn increase Alucard's life and explains why he is able to regenerate. He uses his victim's life force. Now we have the Warrant Officer who is supposed to represent the idea of Schroedinger's cat. You don't know if the cat is alive or dead, and it is both until you check. Since this is the case, Alucard, by consuming the warrant officer, is now both alive and dead, and therefore cannot exist.

Prophaniti
2008-01-13, 09:52 AM
Since this is the case, Alucard, by consuming the warrant officer, is now both alive and dead, and therefore cannot exist.

Then why can the warrant officer himself exist? You can't apply logic to one character and not another. If the officer was supposed to be both alive and dead and can still exist and walk around, why can't Alucard?

thorgrim29
2008-01-13, 10:02 AM
Probably because he does'nt know how to control it, but then again that's weird because he's supposed to absorb knowledge too..... or maybe he does'nt because the catboy was already dead?

Guts
2008-01-13, 01:30 PM
Then why can the warrant officer himself exist? You can't apply logic to one character and not another. If the officer was supposed to be both alive and dead and can still exist and walk around, why can't Alucard?

I just re-read that part of the the chapter. I think the Major said that the catboy, while being both alive and dead and 'everywhere and no where' (how he's able to jump around the world so easily), must be conscious of himself and who he is (ie recognise himself as Warrant Officer Schroedinger) in order to exist (in the conventional sense) despite being an 'abomination'. When he was consumed by Alucard, his soul joined and merged with all the other thousands of souls present within Alucard and as such could not recognise himself, so he no longer exists. Since he's now part of Alucard, Alucard himself no longer exists too, since he's now both alive and dead at the same time and doesn't have a self-aware Warrant Officer.

Thanks for your answer, Kojiro I understand it better now

Kojiro Kakita
2008-01-13, 06:09 PM
You are welcome. Anything to help out another Hellsing Fan.

Still sad to see we are coming to the end of this great series.
Hmm, maybe he will finish up Hellsing the Dawn now.