PDA

View Full Version : Bookage!

Admiral Squish
2008-01-11, 04:58 PM
I just bought five new D&D books. Complete Arcane, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Adventurer, Eberron Campaign Setting, and Races of the Dragon. Now, This was a lot of money, but it brought my book count up to nine. This seems slightly ridiculous to me. How many books do you own? How many do you use? Am I alone in my obsessive book-hoarding? Are there support groups for that sort of thing?

Also, discuss awesome thing from these books.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 05:00 PM
I can't remember off hand (I'm at work), but I have a lot. I'll count'em later.

Manave_E_Sulanul
2008-01-11, 05:02 PM
I am not at home so I can not count them but I can safely say that I have a count of at least 15. And it is only ridiculous if you don't enjoy using them. :smallbiggrin:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-01-11, 05:06 PM
I don't know the exact number, but I think it's between 15-20, and I haven't gotten a book in a few years. If you stack all my books up, it's probably a foot and a half to two feet high, and is worth over $500. In fact, as compared to the guys that I used to play with, 9 is a very small collection of books.

martyboy74
2008-01-11, 05:07 PM
I think I've got 13 or 14 that just live in my room.

In other words, at least on forums, you are not alone in your collecting.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-11, 05:07 PM
Are you referring to just D&D, or in general?

After I got married, I pruned my collection a bit, so it's much smaller. My current gaming collection fills three bookshelves, each about three and and a half feet tall by three feet long.

D&D is one of those, but that's about 4 different editions, with a number of repeated copies of earlier stuff.

UserClone
2008-01-11, 05:11 PM
Between 3.0 and 3.5, including non-WoTC sources, including adventure modules , I have well over 50 books. Just hardcover WoTC 3.5 books? At least 20-25. I obSESS.

Ashtar
2008-01-11, 05:35 PM
Does a 3 meter long, 2 meter high bookshelf of RPG books (and related fantasy novels, piled 2 deep and 2 high for more space), count as being addicted to RPGs? There's some D&D, AD&D, 3.0, 3.5 in there, a couple of worlds (FR, DL, DS), and loads of other systems (Gurps, DP9 Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Mechton Zeta, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Legend of 5 rings, BESM, and so on).

As books I routinely use, these days, I am a player so: DMG, MIC, SpellComp, PHB, Complete * collection, BoNS.

There can never be enough books in my house, but.. you should see my dad's house...

Amiria
2008-01-11, 05:37 PM
In our RL group (just 2 people :smallfrown:) we have probably more than 100 D&D 3.x books. So divide by 2 and I own ~50 books.

We have virtually all Forgotten Realms books, only about half a dozen Eberron books.

It might be easier to say what we don't have. :smalltongue: Off the top of my head, Cityscape, Complete Champion, Dragon Magic, and the rest of the Ebberon books.

AlterForm
2008-01-11, 05:38 PM
How many? My group stopped counting. We now measure by weight.

We're up to 2-and-some-of-one tubs of books, at roughly 250ish pounds total. At last check. Some are 3.0, most are 3.5.

RS14
2008-01-11, 05:40 PM
I've only got two books; the PHB and the Draconomicon. No, it's not because I've got a stash of bootleg PDFs; I've just never been a fan of the supplements. Unearthed Arcana included interesting material, but the regular format in which most of the book consists of PrCs, feats, magic items, and spells has never appealed to me. There are so many that most start to blur together and seem uninspired, and I don't play often enough to use many of the additional material. The books that I have liked the look of have been those which bring significant "crunch" of a particular type to the game; The Arms and Equipment guide and the Tome of Battle for example, as well as The Complete Commoner and Programmable Constructs from the Homebrew forums. If I had enough money, I would probably have a few more books, but only the few that caught my eye.
So yeah, I'm not a hoarder at all. Of course I've only been playing for about a year; my collection will probably grow given time.

Kyeudo
Well, Here's a list of all the sourcebooks I have:

Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook 2
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide 2
Monster Manuel
Monster Manuel 4
Unearthed Arcana
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Magic of Incarnum
Tome of Magic
Tome of Battle : Book of Nine Swords
Stormwrack
Frostburn
Sandstorm
Dungeonscape
Races of the Wild
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Races of the Dragon
Races of Eberron
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Psionic
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Champion
Lords of Madness
Draconomicon
Libris Mortis
Eberron Campaign Setting
Magic of Eberron
Faiths of Eberron
Sharn, City of Towers
Five Nations
Player's Guide to Eberron
Explorer's Handbook
Secrets of Xen'drik
Secrets of Sarlona
Forgotton Realms Campaign Setting

GlordFunkelhand
Just counted - 84 books if I only count the d20 books and include the WotC adventures. So 79 if I remove the smaller adventures and only include the larger ones.
I bought some books in PDF which are not listed here...

Since the number is so high even I don't think the number is real (counted twice) - here's a picture of the d20 part of my bookshelf (which also includes some books from other systems, and no, these books didn't make it into the number listed above):
http://www.steinke.net/books.png

Lyinginbedmon
2008-01-11, 05:56 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide
Book of Vile Darkness
Champions of Ruin
Cityscape
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Deities and Demigods
Draconomicon
Drow of the Underdark
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Dungeon Master's Guide V3.5
Dungeonscape
Eberron Campaign Setting
Epic Level Handbook
Fiend Folio
Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
Findiehs Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Magic Item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Monster Manual V
Monster Manual V3.5
Player's Guide to Eberron
Player's Handbook II
Player's Handbook V3.5
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Savage Species
Secrets of Xen'drik
Spell Compendium
Stormwrack
Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords
Tome of Magic

Count: 46

Maerok
2008-01-11, 06:06 PM
Just counted - 84 books if I only count the d20 books and include the WotC adventures. So 79 if I remove the smaller adventures and only include the larger ones.
I bought some books in PDF which are not listed here...

Since the number is so high even I don't think the number is real (counted twice) - here's a picture of the d20 part of my bookshelf (which also includes some books from other systems, and no, these books didn't make it into the number listed above):
http://www.steinke.net/books.png

That looks like the set-up at Borders nearby. :smalleek:

Now what about when 4.0 rolls around? :smallfrown:

I've got a few books, all 3.5:
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master Guide I & II
Heroes of Horror
Complete Arcane
Libris Mortis
Tome of Magic
Tome of Incarnum
(So that's seven. And probably one or two I've forgotten about. They're all stashed in my dorm for winter break.)

RTGoodman
2008-01-11, 06:12 PM
Ones I own: PHB, DMG, MM, MMIII, XPH, MIC, Rules Compendium, PHBII, all 8 Complete books, 4 Races books (Destiny, Dragon, Stone, Wild), ToB, ToM, Dragon Magic, Dungeonscape, Frostburn, Fiendish Codex I and II, Exemplars of Evil, Elder Evils, BoED (no Vile Darkness yet), Dragonlance Campaign setting, various adventures, and a lot of novels. That's 31 hardback books. My roommate also has 10 Eberron books, and I have access to those.

The ones that I use most? PHB, PHBII, some Completes depending on characters, Races of Stone (since I love all three main races from it), DMG (if I'm DMing or equipping a character). However, I want to start using the alternate systems (ToM, ToB, etc.) more before 4.0 comes out.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-01-11, 06:15 PM
I buy all of my books through PDF, so I don't have a physical book collection. The only books I actually own in hard copy are the core nWoD book, the 3.5 Eberron setting, and the 3.0 Forgotten Realms setting.

For PDFs, though, I have probably around 30 books.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-11, 07:52 PM
Great. Now I feeling outdone and competitive, an I'm going to end up buying the entire display at borders. Thanks for making me poor forever.

marjan
2008-01-11, 07:59 PM
Thanks for making me poor forever.

You're welcome. That's what friends are for. :smalltongue: If you need anything like this again let us know.:smallwink:

LibraryOgre
2008-01-11, 08:09 PM
Great. Now I feeling outdone and competitive, an I'm going to end up buying the entire display at borders. Thanks for making me poor forever.

Borders is for chumps. Real men take out a mortgage, lead a commando raid on their credit rating, and assault the publishers directly. Mail order FTW! :smallamused:

As an ethical geek, I should point out that my gaming collection has been purchased slowly since about 1992, not all at once. Many of them are purchased second-hand at used book stores... Half-Price Books often has a good selection... and that even buying at one or two a month will net you a sizable collection in no time, with plenty of time to read what you have.

Raum
2008-01-11, 08:25 PM
I just bought five new D&D books. Complete Arcane, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Adventurer, Eberron Campaign Setting, and Races of the Dragon. Now, This was a lot of money, but it brought my book count up to nine. This seems slightly ridiculous to me. How many books do you own? How many do you use? Am I alone in my obsessive book-hoarding? Are there support groups for that sort of thing?Err, not sure about you but I'm a bibliophile. At a guess I have 300+ RPG rule books or accessories. Granted, many are old versions residing in boxes - but it is a fair number of books.

And it's not even the second largest category of books in my library. Like I said, I'm a bibliophile. Books are a good thing! No need for a support group...really, I'm fine! :)

F.L.
2008-01-11, 08:51 PM

Well, you should just become a Green Star Adept, and get addicted to space crack, that'll use up the rest of your money.

Fhaolan
2008-01-11, 09:00 PM
239 physical RPG books in my personal library, plus another 250 or so electronic RPG books.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-01-11, 09:30 PM
Don't worry, you're still a lightweight. Last time I counted I have at least twenty books, and that's just 3.x.

$90: Core Three Books
$300: Seventeen more Supplementals
Priceless: Realizing I don't need any of them

TS

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 09:32 PM
I have:
PHB
DMG
MM
Complete Warrior
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Adventurer
Book Of Vile Darkness
Book Of Exalted Deeds
Races of Desitny

And I refuse to buy any more until 4e comes out.

PaladinBoy
2008-01-11, 09:35 PM
I don't even know how many books I have. At least 2 dozen sourcebooks, all D+D.

If we start counting novels..... no, I'm not even going to think about that. I don't think I can count that high. (Probably hyperbole, but who cares? It's a lot of books either way.)

RandomNPC
2008-01-11, 10:18 PM
im thinking around 45 for me. i counted the shelf but there's a few off somewhere else at the moment.

i plan to buy no more because my group was told they could make anything in any of the books as long as i know what they're doing ahead of time and we talk it over, both so they dont get to powerfull and so they don't nerf the character.

so with all these books at hand they fight over who gets to look up the class they want out of the players handbook next.

the completes, mini handbook, PHB2 all have classes in them i'm fine with. so untill someone expands thier borders quite a bit i'm stayin out of book buying.

Eldmor
2008-01-11, 10:39 PM
I have 18 3.5D&D books, 3 d20Modern books, and a Vampire: The Requiem book. Pretty sure I'll also be getting Kobolds Ate My Baby for my birthday from my fiancee.

Felius
2008-01-11, 11:00 PM
Well, only from the 3.5 I have only a few (I believe 3 or 4) 3.x I believe about 10.

Plus more then a dozen GURPS books, and another dozen and a half of other systems. Although my PC game collection is far greater (you don't want to know how much have been expent on either one. I don't want to know it!)

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-12, 10:20 AM

Tell me. Spent 100 Euro yesterday on just a few books and the inn-fighting dice game...

Well, If you want, I could show you the complete bookshelf ;)
There's also a Shadowrun/Gurps, Palladium, Ars Magica, Deadlands/ Deadlands:HoE and In Nomine shelf looking quite similar to the d20 section.

Button Jockey
2008-01-12, 11:49 AM
I have ten or so. I have not spent a dime on any of them, nor are they gifts. Squatters rights rule!

I would probably only ever buy the three core books and only borrow anything else.

Little_Rudo
2008-01-12, 12:12 PM
When I first got into D&D about three years ago, I bought a lot of books from the get-go, without really checking to see how much I'd use them. This led to quite a few books that I've still never used content from. (Mostly the Draconomicon and Races of Destiny, though the Draconomicon is at least a good read in itself... pretty pictures!) Since then, I've bought less but focused on books I can get a lot of use from. They're currently locked up in my dorm for Winterim, but off the top of my head...

Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Deities & Demigods
DM's Guide
Draconomicon
Complete Adventurer
Complete Divine
Complete Warrior
Eberron Campaign Setting (I've never used this, but damn, I want to...)
Expanded Psionics
Player's Handbook
Monster Manual
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Unearthed Arcana (This was before I discovered the SRD.)